HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Spped bumps/Speed humps in Fairfax County
Posted by: NOVA.Driver ()
Date: October 13, 2015 08:22AM

I frequently use Cabells Mill Drive and Northbourne Drive to avoid Route 50. The speed limit is 25mph...and that's fine, it's a residential neighborhood. Why does the County install speed bumps and or speed humps that require you to slow down below the posted limit? If it's posted 25mph, shouldn't motorists be able to drive that road at 25mph (to include the speed bumps and speed humps) without tearing up their vehicles or thrashing vehicle occupants all about? What do these speed bumps and speed humps do to the response time and reliability of first responder vehicles?

Well, Mr. Homeowner...we would've been here to save you from the contractor who has been hiring illegals and then murdering them at the end of the job and burying the bodies in your yard but, the SWAT truck broke an axle doing 70 over those speed bumps...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spped bumps/Speed humps in Fairfax County
Posted by: Thank You.. ()
Date: October 13, 2015 08:46AM

I just want to say thank you to the OP for not speeding on my street. The residents of my street for years had to put up with speeding cars trying to avoid traffic on RT50. The homeowners had to fight the county and VDOT to get the humps installed. After several traffic studies and petitions, we finely got them installed. If you do not like them to stay on rt50.

Posted by: mjs ()
Date: October 13, 2015 08:53AM

We have the same things all around vienna. And i agree that if the speeds is 25, then you should be able to traverse the hump/bump at the posted speed with out knocking your head into the roof of your car.

Of course a car with a longer wheel base(like an f150 supercab long bed) will be able to traverse faster while a shorter wheel base (jeep wrangler) would be likely to get thrashed.

Posted by: McLean ()
Date: October 13, 2015 09:16AM

The bored hausfraus with nothing to do between driving their children to the bus stop that is 40 yards from their front door, and picking their children up at the bus stop, still 40 yards from their front door, love the speed bumps. I used never to exceed 25 mph on the wide part of Old Chesterbrook because every 10th day or so there was a cop collecting revenue by running radar. Now there is a speed bump for which I have to slow down to 5 mph but I can go 40 for the whole rest of the street because, with the speed bump, no cops.

Posted by: Neighbor ()
Date: October 13, 2015 10:29AM

NOVA.Driver Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I frequently use Cabells Mill Drive and
> Northbourne Drive to avoid Route 50. The speed
> limit is 25mph...and that's fine, it's a
> residential neighborhood. Why does the County
> install speed bumps and or speed humps that
> require you to slow down below the posted limit?
> If it's posted 25mph, shouldn't motorists be able
> to drive that road at 25mph (to include the speed
> bumps and speed humps) without tearing up their
> vehicles or thrashing vehicle occupants all about?
> What do these speed bumps and speed humps do to
> the response time and reliability of first
> responder vehicles?
>
> Well, Mr. Homeowner...we would've been here to
> save you from the contractor who has been hiring
> illegals and then murdering them at the end of the
> job and burying the bodies in your yard but, the
> SWAT truck broke an axle doing 70 over those speed
> bumps...

By driving at the posted 25 MPH speed limit on a residential street, you're being responsible and respectful of the residents of that street.

Unfortunately, too many of our fellow drivers are not.

I used to live on the main road of a 500+ home neighborhood that was, effectively, a giant cul-de-sac. Although the posted speed limit was 25 MPH, drivers routinely drove past my house at 35 - 45 MPH. I was surprised, at first, that the primary offenders were not tradesmen or other visitors to the neighborhood, but my neighbors (most often, hausfraus). However, as I grew more familiar with the selfishness and self-entitled attitude of my neighbors, I came to realized that they could not have cared less about how their excessive speed increased the danger and noise for homeowners on the main road.

I am very glad that I no longer experience this danger and annoyance on a daily basis. When driving through residential areas, I am religious about staying at or below the posted speed limit.

Posted by: The Drones you are looking for ()
Date: October 13, 2015 01:41PM

NOVA.Driver Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well, Mr. Homeowner...we would've been here to
> save you from the contractor who has been hiring
> illegals and then murdering them at the end of the
> job and burying the bodies in your yard but, the
> SWAT truck broke an axle doing 70 over those speed
> bumps...

Meh, Give it a couple years and that surplus of drones in the Middle East will find their way into powdered donut hands of local police everywhere.

Buzzzzzzzz -Pew, Pew, Pew- Buzzzzzzzzzzz

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.