HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Manhunt ongoing for gray-haired shooter
Posted by: Twop ()
Date: February 06, 2014 08:46PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Manhunt ongoing for gray-haired shooter
Posted by: Jack45 ()
Date: February 06, 2014 10:10PM

This case could definitely be connected with the mystery murder of the transportation planner guy who was murdered a month ago.

Woman shot in Alexandria home dies, manhunt continues
Posted by: The Neighborhood Watch! ()
Date: February 07, 2014 06:28AM

Woman shot in Alexandria home dies, manhunt continues
http://wtop.com/134/3557715/Hunt-ongoing-for-elderly-shooter-1-dead

ALEXANDRIA, Va. - An Alexandria woman shot at the front door of her home Thursday morning has died. Investigators are still looking for her killer who also shot a caregiver in her home.

Ruthanne Lodato, 59, was a former music teacher in Alexandria, police say.

Investigators are looking for the suspect who they describe as an older, white, balding man with a gray beard.

The man knocked on Lodato's door in the 2400 block of Ridge Road Drive around 11:30 a.m. Thursday, police say. When she and a caregiver working at the home answered, he shot and injured Lodato and the caregiver, Police Chief Earl Cook says.

"It's still too early in this investigation to speculate on a motive at this time," Cook says.

Investigators don't know whether the shooter knew either woman or the other person who lives at the home.

The caregiver, whose name police have not released, is expected to survive.

Police Friday continued to search for the shooter in the neighborhood, bordered by West Braddock Road.

On Thursday, police cordoned off the neighborhood and set up a mobile command post. Throughout the day on Thursday, investigators used police dogs to look for clues and employed the use of the Fairfax County Police Department helicopter.

Neighbors, who say an elderly woman also lives in the home, could not be more surprised at word of what happened.

"This has always been the most gentile, beautiful neighborhood around. I mean, it's shocking," says Jan Lovich, who lives four doors down from Lodaito.

Shortly after the Thursday shooting, several schools in the area were locked down.

A spokesperson with Alexandria City Public Schools said six of its schools were locked down as a precaution, which is standard procedure when there's a shooting in the vicinity of any school.

The six schools that were locked down were:

•TC Williams HS
•Minnie Howard Campus
•Charles Barrett ES
•Matthew Maury ES
•George Mason ES
•Douglas MacArthur ES

In a statement Thursday, Mayor William D. Euille called it "a sad day in the City of Alexandria." He sent condolences to Lodato's family and added, "I am confident that the Alexandria Police Department will work swiftly to apprehend the person who committed this horrible crime."

Anyone who has information about the shooting or has seen the shooter is asked to call police at 703-746-6864.

Alexandria police cordon off a neighborhood after a shooting in the 2400 block of Ridge Road Drive Thursday morning. The shooting and the search for the shooter forced several schools in the area to lock down
Attachments:
325442.jpg

Ruthanne Lodato killed in double shooting
Posted by: More Info ()
Date: February 07, 2014 07:19AM

Ruthanne Lodato killed in double shooting
http://www.wjla.com/articles/2014/02/possible-burglary-home-invasion-in-alexandria-99963.html

(WJLA) - For 20 years, Ruthanne Lodato taught for 'Music Together Alexandria' out of this church in Alexandria's Del Ray neighborhood.

"Great family, really well-known in Alexandria, it's just shocking!" says nearby resident Tom Waters.

Neighbors say Lodato was a mother of three and lived in this home with her husband and elderly mother. According to police, a man knocked on their door in the 2400 block of Ridge Road Drive on Thursday afternoon, and when the door opened, he shot both Ruthanne Lodato, 59, and her mother's caregiver before fleeing.

A helicopter rushed Lodato to the hospital, but she died from her injuries. Police say the caretaker has non life-threatening injuries and will survive.

Nearby residents describe the area as a “nice neighborhood,” and are stunned. The shooting has left them on edge and several nearby schools on lockdown. Despite a massive manhunt, the suspect has not yet been found.

"This street probably has not had a violent crime in the history of its existence, because I grew up right on the corner here," says Robert Beck.

The suspect is being described as an older white man, balding, with grey hair and a beard.

Watch the news video here:
http://bcove.me/ilwppyoz
Attachments:
ruthannelodato-linkedin_296.jpg

Posted by: Duane Chapman ()
Date: February 07, 2014 07:51AM

Jesus...somebody smoked a kids' music teacher? Any reward involved?

Posted by: uU6XY ()
Date: February 07, 2014 08:10AM

Duane Chapman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Jesus...somebody smoked a kids' music teacher? Any
> reward involved?

...And her mother's caregiver.

Posted by: thisisajokeright ()
Date: February 07, 2014 08:21AM

I'm so over all this random, unnecessary violence. So over it. I hope the coward that did this comes forward and is hanged for what he did.

Posted by: Fairfaxian ()
Date: February 07, 2014 08:56AM

thisisajokeright Wrote:
> I'm so over all this random, unnecessary violence.
> So over it. I hope the coward that did this comes
> forward and is hanged for what he did.

The problem is that now some trigger-happy yahoo is going to blow away a different older, balding, bearded guy who comes to his door. I hope they catch this asshole fast.

Posted by: NWmPx ()
Date: February 07, 2014 09:01PM

We need Adrian Monk on this one.

Police look for gunman in fatal shooting in Alexandria
Posted by: Updated ()
Date: February 08, 2014 06:23AM

Police look for gunman in fatal shooting in Alexandria
http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/crime/police-investigate-double-shooting-in-alexandria/2014/02/06/1a31164e-8f54-11e3-b46a-5a3d0d2130da_story.html

The bearded, balding man knocked on the door about 11:30 a.m. Two women, a music teacher and a caregiver, opened up the home to the unexpected visitor.

The man — a stranger to the women, it seems — started shooting. In broad daylight, in the middle of a quiet Alexandria neighborhood, the music teacher lay fatally wounded, the caregiver shot but expected to survive.

(Read more from the Post)
Attachments:
crime scene.png

Posted by: Melinda Ardinger ()
Date: February 08, 2014 07:59AM

How hard can it be to catch an old man with a gun? Alexandria PD sucks.

Posted by: Kim ()
Date: February 08, 2014 01:40PM

I'm wondering how tall this guy is and a description of his build. The picture looks like someone who scared me so bad a few years ago on a quiet street in Arlington, I never forgot it. Luckily, I think I may have been saved by a passing couple whose suspicions were aroused, and stood around and pretended to sight see. That gave me an opportunity to get out of there, but not before receiving a rageful glare from that spooky man, who stood by his car. Again, I'd like a better description of this guy, if possible.

Posted by: Puhleeze ()
Date: February 08, 2014 11:08PM

And so you'd like FFXU to give you a better description, versus maybe contacting the police department that issued the sketch. What kind of ding dong are you? Also, how do you know the couple was pretending to sightsee and not really sightseeing? If you "got out of there"...you surely would not have had an opportunity to ask the couple.

Kim Wrote:
> I'm wondering how tall this guy is and a
> description of his build. The picture looks like
> someone who scared me so bad a few years ago on a
> quiet street in Arlington, I never forgot it.
> Luckily, I think I may have been saved by a
> passing couple whose suspicions were aroused, and
> stood around and pretended to sight see. That
> gave me an opportunity to get out of there, but
> not before receiving a rageful glare from that
> spooky man, who stood by his car. Again, I'd like
> a better description of this guy, if possible.

Posted by: Jack45 ()
Date: February 08, 2014 11:13PM

Kim Wrote:
> I'm wondering how tall this guy is and a
> description of his build. The picture looks like
> someone who scared me so bad a few years ago on a
> quiet street in Arlington, I never forgot it.
> Luckily, I think I may have been saved by a
> passing couple whose suspicions were aroused, and
> stood around and pretended to sight see. That
> gave me an opportunity to get out of there, but
> not before receiving a rageful glare from that
> spooky man, who stood by his car. Again, I'd like
> a better description of this guy, if possible.

The biggest idiots in the state post on this board.

Posted by: Stabitha ()
Date: February 08, 2014 11:14PM

Are they sure it wasnt a crack smoking nigger with an old white guy mask?

Posted by: Ex Cop ()
Date: February 08, 2014 11:24PM

Stabitha Wrote:
> Are they sure it wasnt a crack smoking nigger with
> an old white guy mask?

Yes they are sure it is a white man. No mask on.

Shooting Victim Ruthanne Lodato was Mother of 3, Music Teacher in Alexandria
Posted by: info about Ruthanne Lodato ()
Date: February 09, 2014 07:36AM

Shooting Victim Ruthanne Lodato was Mother of 3, Music Teacher in Alexandria

Lodato died Thursday after being shot at her home by an unknown gunman who is still at large.
http://delray.patch.com/groups/police-and-fire/p/shooting-victim-ruthanne-lodato-was-mother-of-3-music-teacher-in-alexandria

Music teacher Ruthanne Lodato, 59, died Thursday after she was shot at her home on Ridge Road Drive, according to Alexandria police. She died later at the hospital, police said.

"This is a sad day in the City of Alexandria," said Alexandria Mayor Bill Euille. "We wish to extend our heartfelt condolences to the family of Ruthanne Lodato, and our thoughts are with the victims of the Ridge Road Drive shootings. I am confident that the Alexandria Police Department will work swiftly to apprehend the person who committed this horrible crime."

Police were searching for an elderly unidentified white male with gray hair and a small beard, who was still at large Thursday evening.

Lodato, the mother of three children, was the director of Music Together in Alexandria. Classes were often held at Del Ray United Methodist Church and at Chinquapin Rec Center. Lodato held a B.A. degree in Music Education and an M.M. in Piano Pedagogy. She taught at Music Together® for the past 20 years.

Lodato has been teaching music in Alexandria-area schools since 1976, including at Blessed Sacrament Early Childhood Center and Valley Drive Preschool.

She was a piano teacher as well as a church organist.

The investigation is ongoing and very active. Anyone with information about this incident is asked to contact the Alexandria Police Department at (703) 746.6864.

Ruthanne Lodato Homicide: Alexandria Police Chief, Mayor Attempt to Reassure Community
Posted by: ***Updated*** ()
Date: February 09, 2014 07:38AM

Ruthanne Lodato Homicide: Alexandria Police Chief, Mayor Attempt to Reassure Community

Suspect is still at large; officials address idea of "serial killer" with three unsolved murders in Alexandria.
http://delray.patch.com/groups/police-and-fire/p/lodato-homicide-alexandria-police-mayor-attempt-to-reassure-community-delray

Alexandria Chief of Police Earl Cook and Alexandria Mayor Bill Euille, in a news conference Friday, attempted to reassure the community that police are doing everything they can to solve Thursday's homicide and to protect the citizens of Alexandria.

"Yesterday we were shocked by the tragic events unfolding on Ridge Road Drive," said Euille. "Today, we grieve and we extend our deepest sympathies to the family and friends to Ruthanne Lodato, a beloved music teacher who touched many lives in this city. Our thoughts are also with the other victim [a caretaker was shot and is in the hospital] of this senseless crime."

"For me personally, I knew her family, her relatives, as a lifelong resident of this city," the mayor said.

Alexandria music teacher Ruthanne Lodato died at the hospital Thursday after she was shot at about 11:30 a.m. answering the door of her home on Ridge Road Drive in Alexandria; a caretaker was wounded and is in the hospital. A grandmother was reportedly also at the scene but was not hurt.

The shooter is on the loose and police said there have been no sightings of the man. The chief described him as an older white male, balding with gray hair, a full beard and wearing a tan jacket. No age range was given. Police hope to soon have a sketch of the man in hopes someone might recognize him, the police chief said.

Police are waiting for the other victim in the shooting, described as a caretaker, to become medically stable before interviewing her again. She was reportedly shot in the arm.

Police are also waiting to interview family members who are grieving, to see if they might know of any possible reasons someone would target Lodato, the police chief said.

Reporters at Friday's news conference addressed the possibility of there being a "serial killer" on the loose who is targeting people in their homes in the area, after the unsolved murders last year of Ron Kirby and in 2003, of Nancy Dunning. Both were, like Lodato, fairly high-profile citizens who were well-liked and well-known in the community. All were shot in their homes during the day.

"I have a high level of confidence in our public safety folks to investigate and find the person who committed this act," the mayor said. "Residents have a right to be concerned but I don't want them thinking there is a serial killer on the loose."

"We want folks to not be afraid to be out and about," he said, although he urged residents to be aware of their surroundings and take the usual precautions.

The police chief said right now there is no evidence linking the murders but said police are open to looking at similarities in the cases.

"We have received a large number of tips" regarding Thursday's shooting, the chief said, and encouraged anyone else who knows anything to call (703) 746-6864. Callers may remain anonymous.

Alexandria Chief of Police Earl Cook and Alexandria Mayor Bill Euille, in a news conference Friday, attempted to reassure the community that police are doing everything they can to solve Thursday's homicide.
Attachments:
3092e30aeba07eb9d925872828100c79.png

Alexandria Police Release Sketch of Suspected Shooter in Lodato Murder
Posted by: Police Sketch released ()
Date: February 09, 2014 07:43AM

Alexandria Police Release Sketch of Suspected Shooter in Lodato Murder

Suspect is described as having some gray hair, balding, with a beard and wearing a tan jacket; no age range was given.
http://delray.patch.com/groups/police-and-fire/p/alexandria-police-release-sketch-of-suspected-shooter

Alexandria Police have released a sketch of the suspect in Thursday's shooting of Ruthanne Lodato. Police have described the man as balding with some gray hair, a beard and wearing a tan jacket. They have given no age range.

Police are advising the public to remember this composite is a compilation of facial features, not a photograph. If any of the features in the composite remind you of someone, please contact the police immediately. Keep in mind that the suspect may have recently changed his appearance.

Anyone recognizing the person depicted in the sketch or anyone with additional information about this case is asked to call Sgt. Michael Kochis at (703) 746-6864 or email him at Michael.Kochis@alexandriava.gov. Detectives would like to remind witnesses that they can remain anonymous.

Police have said they are looking into whether there is any sort of connection between three unsolved deaths in Alexandria: Lodato, Ron Kirby last year, and Nancy Dunning in 2003.

Late Friday, a helicopter flew over the neighborhood where the shooting took place Thursday, in the 2400 block of Ridge Road Drive.

Lodato left behind husband Norman and three daughters, Lucia Lodato, 32, Gina Lodato Pelusi, 29, and Carmen Lodato, 20, as well as Ruthanne’s 89-year-old mother, Mary Lucy Giammittorio.

The caregiver for Giammittorio was hospitalized, reportedly shot in the arm in the shooting Thursday.

Alexandria police released this sketch of the suspect in Thursday's shooting of Ruthanne Lodato.
Attachments:
272e941cbdd1367b82fcd9169074f2d9.png

Posted by: Serial Killer Profiler ()
Date: February 09, 2014 07:54AM

Yep, looks like there's a serial killer on the loose. Hopefully someone can ID him, but it's not going to be some creepy guy: it's going to be someone who's good at hiding his abornmalities. Even if he the nicest guy in the world, he can still be the perp. Vigilance is necessary.

Posted by: I wonder ()
Date: February 09, 2014 08:00AM

Serial Killer Profiler Wrote:
> Yep, looks like there's a serial killer on the
> loose. Hopefully someone can ID him, but it's not
> going to be some creepy guy: it's going to be
> someone who's good at hiding his abornmalities.
> Even if he the nicest guy in the world, he can
> still be the perp. Vigilance is necessary.

You know I wonder if the teacher was the intended target? Maybe he was after the caregiver and the teacher just got in the way. I wonder if there is a connection between this shooting and Kirby's shooting some months ago. If I were the police, I'd look for a connection between the caregiver and this shooter.

Posted by: L Barnicle ()
Date: February 09, 2014 08:05AM

I am so saddened by this news. My baby is currently in her music class. In the short 5 weeks of knowing Ruthanne, her love for music and children has made such an impact and impression on myself and little one. My deepest condolences to her family.

Re: Ruthanne Lodato Homicide: Alexandria Police Chief, Mayor Attempt to Reassure Community
Posted by: Chris in Alexandria ()
Date: February 09, 2014 08:08AM

***Updated*** Wrote:
> Ruthanne Lodato Homicide: Alexandria Police Chief,
> Mayor Attempt to Reassure Community
>
> Suspect is still at large; officials address idea
> of "serial killer" with three unsolved murders in
> Alexandria.
> http://delray.patch.com/groups/police-and-fire/p/l
> odato-homicide-alexandria-police-mayor-attempt-to-
> reassure-community-delray
>
> Alexandria Chief of Police Earl Cook and
> Alexandria Mayor Bill Euille, in a news conference
> Friday, attempted to reassure the community that
> police are doing everything they can to solve
> Thursday's homicide and to protect the citizens of
> Alexandria.
>
> "Yesterday we were shocked by the tragic events
> unfolding on Ridge Road Drive," said Euille.
> "Today, we grieve and we extend our deepest
> sympathies to the family and friends to Ruthanne
> Lodato, a beloved music teacher who touched many
> lives in this city. Our thoughts are also with the
> other victim [a caretaker was shot and is in the
> hospital] of this senseless crime."
>
> "For me personally, I knew her family, her
> relatives, as a lifelong resident of this city,"
> the mayor said.
>
> Alexandria music teacher Ruthanne Lodato died at
> the hospital Thursday after she was shot at about
> 11:30 a.m. answering the door of her home on Ridge
> Road Drive in Alexandria; a caretaker was wounded
> and is in the hospital. A grandmother was
> reportedly also at the scene but was not hurt.
>
> The shooter is on the loose and police said there
> have been no sightings of the man. The chief
> described him as an older white male, balding with
> gray hair, a full beard and wearing a tan jacket.
> No age range was given. Police hope to soon have a
> sketch of the man in hopes someone might recognize
> him, the police chief said.
>
> Police are waiting for the other victim in the
> shooting, described as a caretaker, to become
> medically stable before interviewing her again.
> She was reportedly shot in the arm.
>
> Police are also waiting to interview family
> members who are grieving, to see if they might
> know of any possible reasons someone would target
> Lodato, the police chief said.
>
> Reporters at Friday's news conference addressed
> the possibility of there being a "serial killer"
> on the loose who is targeting people in their
> homes in the area, after the unsolved murders last
> year of Ron Kirby and in 2003, of Nancy Dunning.
> Both were, like Lodato, fairly high-profile
> citizens who were well-liked and well-known in the
> community. All were shot in their homes during the
> day.
>
> "I have a high level of confidence in our public
> safety folks to investigate and find the person
> who committed this act," the mayor said.
> "Residents have a right to be concerned but I
> don't want them thinking there is a serial killer
> on the loose."
>
> "We want folks to not be afraid to be out and
> about," he said, although he urged residents to be
> aware of their surroundings and take the usual
> precautions.
>
> The police chief said right now there is no
> evidence linking the murders but said police are
> open to looking at similarities in the cases.
>
> "We have received a large number of tips"
> regarding Thursday's shooting, the chief said, and
> encouraged anyone else who knows anything to call
> (703) 746-6864. Callers may remain anonymous.
>
> Alexandria Chief of Police Earl Cook and
> Alexandria Mayor Bill Euille, in a news conference
> Friday, attempted to reassure the community that
> police are doing everything they can to solve
> Thursday's homicide.

No offense Mr. Mayor, but you say you have a "high level" of confidence that the police will find the person who committed this murder. As a citizen of Alexandria, I wish we could share your confidence. Nancy Dunning, Ron Kirby, and now Ruthanne Lodato all killed in home invasions. All unsolved. Given the track record here, it seems that having a high level of confidence might be misplaced. I am sure you know something we all don't, and am hopeful an arrest is imminent.

Date: February 09, 2014 08:40AM

This is might be a stretch, but I have a hunch this scumbag has been active in neighboring Fairfax County too. More specifically, the "Marion Murders" in Springfield. He seems to be targeting older people, and the murder of these two women fit that description. Both were killed in home invasions, though no point of forced entry was determined. Nothing taken from their homes except a ring on Marion Newman's person. The similarities between these cases is striking and I think it at least warrants some consideration.

If anyone can find any similar area cases, list 'em here. Let's show the world why FFXU'ers are all certified e-Detectives.

Date: February 09, 2014 08:46AM

> This is might be a stretch, but I have a hunch
> this scumbag has been active in neighboring
> Fairfax County too. More specifically, the "Marion
> Murders" in Springfield. He seems to be targeting
> older people, and the murder of these two women
> fit that description. Both were killed in home
> invasions, though no point of forced entry was
> determined. Nothing taken from their homes except
> a ring on Marion Newman's person. The similarities
> between these cases is striking and I think it at
> least warrants some consideration.
>
> If anyone can find any similar area cases, list
> 'em here. Let's show the world why FFXU'ers are
> all certified e-Detectives.

Well for the Marion murders, that clearly wasn't random. Two women with the same name were murdered...

Fairfax Cold Cases
http://www.fairfaxunderground.com/forum/read/2/591231/1032128.html#msg-1032128

Re: Ruthanne Lodato Homicide: Alexandria Police Chief, Mayor Attempt to Reassure Community
Date: February 09, 2014 08:48AM

Chris in Alexandria Wrote:
> No offense Mr. Mayor, but you say you have a "high
> level" of confidence that the police will find the
> person who committed this murder. As a citizen of
> Alexandria, I wish we could share your confidence.
> Nancy Dunning, Ron Kirby, and now Ruthanne Lodato
> all killed in home invasions. All unsolved. Given
> the track record here, it seems that having a high
> level of confidence might be misplaced. I am sure
> you know something we all don't, and am hopeful an
> arrest is imminent.

There was a third homicide in Alexandria? Nancy Dunning?

Posted by: Chris in Alexandria ()
Date: February 09, 2014 08:53AM

I wonder Wrote:
> Chris in Alexandria Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > No offense Mr. Mayor, but you say you have a
> "high
> > level" of confidence that the police will find
> the
> > person who committed this murder. As a citizen
> of
> > Alexandria, I wish we could share your
> confidence.
> > Nancy Dunning, Ron Kirby, and now Ruthanne
> Lodato
> > all killed in home invasions. All unsolved.
> Given
> > the track record here, it seems that having a
> high
> > level of confidence might be misplaced. I am
> sure
> > you know something we all don't, and am hopeful
> an
> > arrest is imminent.
>
>
> There was a third homicide in Alexandria? Nancy
> Dunning?

I doubt that is related, she was killed over a decade ago...

Alexandria police still trying to solve slaying of Nancy Dunning, sheriff’s wife
http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/crime/alexandria-police-still-trying-to-solve-slaying-of-nancy-dunning-sheriffs-wife/2013/12/04/eda977a0-5cfa-11e3-be07-006c776266ed_story.html

A prominent member of the community, found dead at home by a family member in a quiet, safe neighborhood. No signs of forced entry and no suspects.

That could describe the fatal shooting of 69-year-old Ronald Kirby in Alexandria’s Rosemont neighborhood last month. But Wednesday, Alexandria police were asking for help solving a case that occurred 10 years ago — the slaying of Nancy Dunning in nearby Del Ray.

“We continue after 10 years to work to try to reach an arrest in this case,” Police Chief Earl L. Cook said at a news conference Wednesday morning. “We will never put this case on the shelf.” He urged anyone who had any information that might help the investigation to come forward. Friends have maintained a $100,000 reward fund for anyone with information that could lead to an arrest.

On Dec. 5, 2003, Dunning failed to show up for a lunch date with her husband and son at the Atlantis restaurant in the Bradlee shopping center. The Dunnings returned home, where they found her on the floor, shot to death.

Surveillance video showed Dunning leaving the Target store in the Potomac Yard shopping center that morning. Police looked for information on a man seen leaving the store at the same time, but that trail never yielded a solid lead.

A real estate agent, Dunning was given the nickname the “Queen of Del Ray” for her involvement in the community. Her efforts in organizing arts festivals and other events helped turn Del Ray into the vibrant, artistic neighborhood it is today. She was married to then-Sheriff James Dunning, who retired in 2005 and moved to South Carolina. He died last year.

At the time of her death, police said Nancy Dunning was targeted by someone she knew. Ten years later, Cook acknowledged that there is still no “viable suspect” in the case.

The investigation has been turned over to a new team of detectives three times, Cook said, as members of the police force retire or move away. A new lead detective took over the case about 10 months ago, and solving it is his primary responsibility. Developments in forensics have given the police new angles to approach the mystery, Cook said.

“I don’t think anybody who knew Nancy Dunning will ever give up hope that whoever did this will be found out,” said Gayle Reuter, a close friend. “I firmly believe that somebody knows something, that this was targeted.”

Detectives have looked at the similarities between Dunning’s death and Kirby’s recent slaying, Cook said. But “there is no reason today to think that those two cases are connected,” he said.

For the 10th year in a row, friends and neighbors will light luminaries along Mount Vernon Avenue in Dunning’s honor Saturday night.

“It really makes me feel closer to her,” said Kate Moran, Dunning’s niece and a musician who performs at the holiday event every year. “Thats what I do to honor her and her spirit.”

Anyone with information that might help the investigation is encouraged to call Sgt. Michael Kochis of the Alexandria police at 703-746-6864.

Real estate agent Nancy Dunning is shown in a file photo from March 2002 in Alexandria, Va.
Attachments:
674532.jpg

Date: February 09, 2014 08:57AM

I wonder Wrote:
> Well for the Marion murders, that clearly wasn't
> random. Two women with the same name were
> murdered...
>
> Fairfax Cold Cases
> http://www.fairfaxunderground.com/forum/read/2/591
> 231/1032128.html#msg-1032128

I'm pretty certain the killer didn't know their names. They happened to have the same name. There's no likely way he could've known until after he picked them out as targets and got into their homes.

It's very coincidental though. His method of killing (gun, strangulation, knife) might have changed, but the way he goes about initiating the murder is very similar. Chooses older people and kills them in their home, and won't take anything unless it's on the decedent's person.

I'm starting to convince myself of the connection. It seems like a no-brainer to me. I'm surprised no one else has come up with a similar hypothesis.

Posted by: The Neighborhood ! ()
Date: February 09, 2014 09:00AM

> I wonder Wrote:
> -----
> > Well for the Marion murders, that clearly
> wasn't
> > random. Two women with the same name were
> > murdered...
> >
> > Fairfax Cold Cases
> >
> http://www.fairfaxunderground.com/forum/read/2/591
>
> > 231/1032128.html#msg-1032128
>
> I'm pretty certain the killer didn't know their
> names. They happened to have the same name.
> There's no likely way he could've known until
> after he picked them out as targets and got into
> their homes.
>
> It's very coincidental though. His method of
> killing (gun, strangulation, knife) might have
> changed, but the way he goes about initiating the
> murder is very similar. Chooses older people and
> kills them in their home, and won't take anything
> unless it's on the decedent's person.
>
> I'm starting to convince myself of the connection.
> It seems like a no-brainer to me. I'm surprised no
> one else has come up with a similar hypothesis.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The incidents are not related. For the Marion murders, there is already a suspect that the investigators have been aware of for several years that did target the victims based on their name, but lack enough evidence to arrest/prosecute. Anyone with information on the murders of Marion Newman or Marion Marshall is asked to call Crime Solvers at 1-866-411-TIPS (8477) or the police non-emergency number at 703-691-2131.

Date: February 09, 2014 09:04AM

Chris in Alexandria Wrote:
> I doubt that is related, she was killed over a
> decade ago...

You could be wrong. Here's where I'm drawing these connections...

Ruthanne Lodato: older women, killed in her home, no forced entry, nothing stolen.

Ron Kirby: older man, killed in his home, no forced entry, nothing stolen.

Marion Newman: older women, killed in her home, no forced entry, one ring stolen from her body.

Marion Marshall: older women, killed in her home, no forced entry, nothing stolen.

Nancy Dunning: older women, killed in her home, no forced entry, nothing stolen.

See the pattern? Perhaps I'm grasping at straws, but it's all very, very coincidental.

Date: February 09, 2014 09:09AM

> Chris in Alexandria Wrote:
> -----
> > I doubt that is related, she was killed over a
> > decade ago...
>
> You could be wrong. Here's where I'm drawing these
> connections...
>
> Ruthanne Lodato: older women, killed in her home,
> no forced entry, nothing stolen.
>
> Ron Kirby: older man, killed in his home, no
> forced entry, nothing stolen.
>
> Marion Newman: older women, killed in her home, no
> forced entry, one ring stolen from her body.
>
> Marion Marshall: older women, killed in her home,
> no forced entry, nothing stolen.
>
> Nancy Dunning: older women, killed in her home, no
> forced entry, nothing stolen.
>
> See the pattern? Perhaps I'm grasping at straws,
> but it's all very, very coincidental.

The Marion murders you can remove, they're unrelated, but there are some intriguing similiarities between Kirby and Dunning. You left out the caregiver that was also shot with Ruthanne Lodato, that is/was the caregiver for Lodato's mother.

Date: February 09, 2014 09:12AM

The Neighborhood ! Wrote:
> The incidents are not related. For the Marion
> murders, there is already a suspect that the
> investigators have been aware of for several years
> that did target the victims based on their name,
> but lack enough evidence to arrest/prosecute.

I've been following both cases for years, as I lived close by, and I never heard that they had a suspect in mind. Speculatively, a suspect in mind doesn't indicate he's the perp: and who's to say that it wasn't this guy? But still, never heard anything about potential suspects and I never heard any definitive confirmation they were killed based on their names, merely a theory. Much like mine. Do you have any links to back up what your saying? Not that I don't believe you, but I would like to put myself at ease knowing this guy hasn't killed in Fairfax County.

Posted by: Reba ()
Date: February 09, 2014 09:12AM

The Neighborhood Watch! Wrote:
> Serial Killer Profiler Wrote:
> -----
> > Chris in Alexandria Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > I doubt that is related, she was killed over
> a
> > > decade ago...
> >
> > You could be wrong. Here's where I'm drawing
> these
> > connections...
> >
> > Ruthanne Lodato: older women, killed in her
> home,
> > no forced entry, nothing stolen.
> >
> > Ron Kirby: older man, killed in his home, no
> > forced entry, nothing stolen.
> >
> > Marion Newman: older women, killed in her home,
> no
> > forced entry, one ring stolen from her body.
> >
> > Marion Marshall: older women, killed in her
> home,
> > no forced entry, nothing stolen.
> >
> > Nancy Dunning: older women, killed in her home,
> no
> > forced entry, nothing stolen.
> >
> > See the pattern? Perhaps I'm grasping at
> straws,
> > but it's all very, very coincidental.
>
> The Marion murders you can remove, they're
> unrelated, but there are some intriguing
> similiarities between Kirby and Dunning. You left
> out the caregiver that was also shot with Ruthanne
> Lodato, that is/was the caregiver for Lodato's
> mother.

I respect and support the Alexandria PD, but the inability to solve the few murders that do occur here is troubling. Until there are more answers, a higher than normal level of concern and precaution is warranted.

Date: February 09, 2014 09:15AM

The Neighborhood Watch! Wrote:
> The Marion murders you can remove, they're
> unrelated, but there are some intriguing
> similiarities between Kirby and Dunning. You left
> out the caregiver that was also shot with Ruthanne
> Lodato, that is/was the caregiver for Lodato's
> mother.

I assume she was shot because she was a witness. I also assume it was a mistake on his part for not killing her, and hopefully it's going to bring him to justice

Date: February 09, 2014 09:36AM

> The Neighborhood Watch! Wrote:
> -----
> > The Marion murders you can remove, they're
> > unrelated, but there are some intriguing
> > similiarities between Kirby and Dunning. You
> left
> > out the caregiver that was also shot with
> Ruthanne
> > Lodato, that is/was the caregiver for Lodato's
> > mother.
>
> I assume she was shot because she was a witness. I
> also assume it was a mistake on his part for not
> killing her, and hopefully it's going to bring him
> to justice

She's the key to all of this. She's in protective custody now, because she is the only living witness who can positively identify him. This is why the police have not released her name.

Date: February 09, 2014 10:26AM

Reba Wrote:
> I respect and support the Alexandria PD, but the
> inability to solve the few murders that do occur
> here is troubling.

Serials killers aren't easy to catch. Many inocent people fall victim before they're brought to justice. Hopefully since we have a survivor we'll be able to catch this one a little quicker than the rest. I personally would cherish the privilege of taking a baseball bat to his knee caps.

Posted by: Former investigator ()
Date: February 09, 2014 10:31AM

> Reba Wrote:
> -----
> > I respect and support the Alexandria PD, but
> the
> > inability to solve the few murders that do
> occur
> > here is troubling.
>
> Serials killers aren't easy to catch. Many inocent
> people fall victim before they're brought to
> justice. Hopefully since we have a survivor we'll
> be able to catch this one a little quicker than
> the rest. I personally would cherish the privilege
> of taking a baseball bat to his knee caps.

Some of us think these murders aren't the work of some random serial killer, but might be part of some sort of vendetta. As you pointed out the in your post above the similarities between the victims. There are also cases in the past 10 years that are similar to this, but were dismissed as being random or tied to family members. Same MO though. There's nothing more frustrating to have some bureaucrat try to chime in with their two cents worth, when they have no experience and try to sweep high profile cases under the rug.

Posted by: Unsure ()
Date: February 09, 2014 11:45PM

Could this be related too?

http://mclean.patch.com/groups/police-and-fire/p/police-31yearold-mclean-woman-found-shot-to-death-in-november

Nearby area, still unsolved, not a lot of details.

Posted by: E Detective ()
Date: February 09, 2014 11:56PM

We have a sketch of the bastard yes. But what about size, height, weight etc? The more clues the better. I know the caregiver is under trauma but if she could describe his face she probably could describe a little something on his stature. I see a lot of these scruffy looking 60 to 65 year old faces on the street. I would like the police to provide more fucking info. Come on Alexandria you can do better.

Posted by: aging debbie does dallas fan ()
Date: February 10, 2014 03:17AM

so she was f'ing one guy and keeping another on a string, a door mat

or maybe she was mean or distrespectful when breakign up or during a marriage (are they married in a different state ?).

most murders are due to bad breakups, lack of respect in marriages, and greed in family / insurance

random? sometimes. very rarely i really doubt it the way done.

Posted by: EHnEY ()
Date: February 10, 2014 07:50AM

Unsure Wrote:
> Could this be related too?
>
> http://mclean.patch.com/groups/police-and-fire/p/p
> olice-31yearold-mclean-woman-found-shot-to-death-i
> n-november
>
> Nearby area, still unsolved, not a lot of details.

No, this is leaning more towards a suicide. However, it is still under investigation.

Posted by: cX7jk ()
Date: February 10, 2014 07:51AM

Former investigator Wrote:
> Some of us think these murders aren't the work of
> some random serial killer, but might be part of
> some sort of vendetta. As you pointed out the in
> your post above the similarities between the
> victims. There are also cases in the past 10
> years that are similar to this, but were dismissed
> as being random or tied to family members. Same MO
> though. There's nothing more frustrating to have
> some bureaucrat try to chime in with their two
> cents worth, when they have no experience and try
> to sweep high profile cases under the rug.

Are you suggesting that all the victims have some connection to the killer?

Scant details released about Alexandria manhunt
Posted by: Some more info ()
Date: February 10, 2014 07:55AM

Scant details released about Alexandria manhunt
http://www.wtop.com/41/3558580/Scanty-details-released-about-Alexandria-manhunt

WASHINGTON - One day after an Alexandria woman was shot and killed by a man who knocked on her door, the suspect remains at large and officials have little additional information about what happened.

But, around 8:30 p.m. Friday, Alexandria Police released a composite sketch of the suspect. Police cautioned the man may have changed his appearance.

At an earlier news conference Friday, Mayor William Euille said, "I think it behooves all of us to, no matter where you live in the city, to be very cautious and take extra steps to be safe."

"First and foremost, we want folks to know that these types of incidents are not common here in the City of Alexandria."

The mayor and Alexandria Police Chief Earl Cook spoke at the 1:30 p.m. conference on Friday, answering questions about whether the crime may have been linked to other Alexandria crimes and addressing where the investigation stands.

Ruthanne Lodato, 59, and a caregiver working at the home were both shot shortly before noon on Thursday when they answered a knock at their door. Lodato died later at a hospital. The caregiver, whose name hasn't been released, remains hospitalized but her injuries aren't life-threatening.

Investigators are looking for the suspect they describe as an older, white, balding man with a gray beard. On Friday, Cook added the man wore a tan jacket.

Addressing a reporter's question about whether the suspect's appearance is unusual, Cook said, "You don't ever want to stereotype what a killer looks like or who it could be, because too often it will make you wrong."

"We currently have no evidence linking this to any other crimes. However, it would be remiss of us not to consider the possibility that it may be similar to other crimes," said Cook.

"We need to have a broad focus in the beginning to avoid risking missing something important."

Investigators don't know if the suspect knew the women.

Several schools in the area were on lockdown as a precaution, but later reopened.

Anyone with information is asked to call 703-746-6864. Callers can remain anonymous.

Lodato was a longtime parishioner of Blessed Sacrament Catholic Church

WTOP's Kathy Stewart reports

Download Here:
http://media.dev-cms.com/wtop/32/3257/325712.mp3

Lodato family friend John Kelly read a family statement after the conference. In part it said:

"She was our family rock. We won't be the same without her. Ruthanne enjoyed giving her beautiful gift of music to countless children over the last 40 years and teaching brought her great joy. The effect on her students and others in the community is reflected in the tremendous outpouring of love and support for our family. We are heartbroken. And we hope you will respect our privacy as we grieve this tragic loss.
Attachments:
325606.jpg
House.png

Posted by: Shawn McCandless ()
Date: February 10, 2014 08:52AM

People need to arm themselves, know how and when to use their weapon, and be prepared. The police cannot respond faster than this killer's bullets can fly.

Posted by: Critical? ()
Date: February 10, 2014 11:51AM

Seems to me that Alexandria PD is just falling over itself with the recent unsolved homicides they've had lately, especially with a sketch of the suspect that's this good...
Attachments:
272e941cbdd1367b82fcd9169074f2d9.png

Posted by: The pimp did it ()
Date: February 10, 2014 12:03PM

It was prolly her pimp, she didn't pay his ass had he had to come and set her straight. Then when he saw the caretaker he knew that he was going to be forced to kill, to show his bitches that when you cross Oldbeardfacewhiteguy the third, that he always gets his money

Posted by: Random ()
Date: February 10, 2014 06:03PM

Nancy Dunning was the then sheriff's wife. Ruthanne Lodata was the daughter and sister of Alexandria judges. I'm unaware of any connection between Ron Kirby and law enforcement. If it's a vendetta of some kind, the law enforcement angle might have something to do with it, but Kirby was a transportation planner. Maybe he had a family member who was or is in law enforcement.

Posted by: xPvxW ()
Date: February 11, 2014 06:26AM

Random Wrote:
> Nancy Dunning was the then sheriff's wife.
> Ruthanne Lodata was the daughter and sister of
> Alexandria judges. I'm unaware of any connection
> between Ron Kirby and law enforcement. If it's a
> vendetta of some kind, the law enforcement angle
> might have something to do with it, but Kirby was
> a transportation planner. Maybe he had a family
> member who was or is in law enforcement.

Not on the law enforcement side, I think there's a connection on either political side that resulted in someone getting shunted. This is revenge on those people for that but who knows.

FBI joins investigation into Lodato's murder
Posted by: Feds join the investigation ()
Date: February 11, 2014 06:27AM

FBI joins investigation into Lodato's murder
http://www.wtop.com/134/3559803/Feds-step-into-Lodato-case-as-tips-roll-in

ALEXANDRIA, Va. -- The investigation into a murder that shocked the Alexandria community has taken a new turn, with federal agents helping local police.

The Alexandria Police Department has received hundreds of tips since investigators released a sketch of the suspect.

The FBI is now assisting police sift through all that information.

Neighboring agencies are also following up on the sketch, says Alexandria police spokeswoman Crystal Nosal.

"They're all looking at the composite. Their officers are talking to people that might fit the description of the composite," Nosal says.

According to authorities, a gunman knocked on the door of Ruthanne Lodato's home last Thursday and shot her when she answered.

The homicide appears to be random, but the investigation is ongoing, with Alexandria leading the effort.

"The nice thing about being in the D.C. region is there are so many different agencies and we all really work together," Nosal says. "They're all helping in their own way."

Detectives and officers plan to canvass the area surrounding the crime scene Monday, speaking to neighbors and handing out flyers.

The suspect is described as an older, balding white man with a gray beard.

Police Restrict Access to Streets Around Shooting Scene for Evidence Recovery
Posted by: ***BREAKING NEWS*** ()
Date: February 11, 2014 08:22AM

Police Restrict Access to Streets Around Shooting Scene for Evidence Recovery
Police anticipate restrictions will be lifted by 4 p.m.
http://delray.patch.com/groups/police-and-fire/p/police-restrict-access-to-streets-around-shooting-scene-for-evidence-recovery

Alexandria Police will restrict access Tuesday to several streets in the area of Thursday’s homicide scene on Ridge Road Drive, where Ruthanne Lodato was shot and later died. They'll be looking for evidence in the crime.

The following intersections will be shut down at 8 a.m.:

•Ridge Road Drive and Braddock Road: no northbound traffic on Ridge Road Drive
•Circle Terrance and Central Avenue: no southbound traffic on Central and no northbound on Circle Terrace
•Farm Road and Virginia Avenue: no southbound traffic on Farm Road
•Ridge Road Drive and Virginia Avenue: no southbound traffic on Ridge Road Drive

This restriction prevents vehicles from entering the area to be searched later in the day. Residents can leave and enter, but non-residents should avoid the area. Police will verify addresses before allowing residents entry. These road closures are to preserve the evidence scene for a search by police academy recruits later in the day, not for a search for the suspect.

It is anticipated that the restrictions will lift at 4 p.m., but it may be sooner.

Funeral Service for Beloved Music Teacher Ruthanne Lodato Set for Saturday at Blessed Sacrament
Posted by: Funeral Service ()
Date: February 11, 2014 08:24AM

Funeral Service for Beloved Music Teacher Ruthanne Lodato Set for Saturday at Blessed Sacrament

Also Monday night, Police Chief Earl Cook and Mayor Bill Euille answered questions from members of the North Ridge Civic Association meeting.
http://delray.patch.com/groups/police-and-fire/p/funeral-service-for-ruthanne-lodato-set-for-saturday-at-blessed-sacrament

The funeral service for Ruthanne Lodato, who died Thursday after a tragic shooting, is set for Saturday morning at Blessed Sacrament Catholic Church, 1427 Braddock Road in Alexandria. Police are still on the hunt for the unknown man who shot Lodato on the doorstep of her home on Ridge Road Drive.

Blessed Sacrament is the same church where Lodato was a longtime parishioner and played the organ. She was also a former music teacher at the adjacent Blessed Sacrament School and Early Childhood Center.

Visitation is Friday at the church, from 5-8 p.m. A mass of Christian burial will take place for Lodato Saturday from 10-11 a.m. at the church. The internment service is private.

Lodato's obituary on the Everly-Wheatly Funeral Home Web site states:
"Beloved wife of Norman Lodato. Mother of Lucia Lodato, Gina Pelusi (Christian), and Carmen Lodato, also survived by her mother Mary Lucy Giammittorio and the late George M. Giammittorio."

Everly-Wheatly is located across the street from Blessed Sacrament.

A guestbook on the site is filled with condolences for Lodato, whose deep roots in the community are evident — from her early years as a student at St. Rita Catholic School and then-St. Mary's Academy in Alexandria, to friendships forged with fellow parents and music taught at Blessed Sacrament and Del Ray United Methodist.

Former Gov. Bob McDonnell, a classmate of Ruthanne's husband Norman at Bishop Ireton High School, left this message:

"Normy, all your old Ireton friends are deeply saddened by the tragic loss of Ruthanne. There are events in life that defy logic and reflect evil. You had a beautiful and talented partner who gave the gift of music to countless people and was greatly loved. The pain that you and your three children must feel is great. I have prayed for you and your family that God will somehow touch you and comfort you with his abundant grace and healing touch as human words are totally inadequate. All of your friends from Ireton are here to love and support you in any way if you need us. Holding you up in God's mercy. Your friend. Bob McDonnell."

Family friend John Kelly read a statement Friday from her family: "She was our family rock. We will not be the same without her. Ruthanne enjoyed teaching countless children in the last 40 years."

Lodato taught music to children at Blessed Sacrament, where principal Valerie Garcia told WUSA-9: "Our hearts are broken. Ruthanne is the gentlest, kindest and most peaceful person you'll ever meet. She was full of life and music. She was a beautiful person."

On Monday night, many of Lodato's neighbors, more than 100 members of the North Ridge Citizens' Association met with Alexandria Police Chief Earl Cook and Mayor Bill Euille, at the Beverley Hills Community United Methodist Church. Some of the questions that came up at the meeting, according to WNEW, included: Why did police lift the school lockdown while the gunman was on the loose? The lockdown for Alexandria City Public Schools was lifted at 1:45 p.m. Thursday.

Cook said that decision will be reviewed. Others asked if the gun used was the same used in the unsolved Ron Kirby shooting in November and if the gunman on Thursday had said anything. Cook refrained from answering the questions.

Also, Cook said that police may release another sketch of the suspected shooter showing him without a beard, in case he has altered his appearance.

Fox 5 reported that the front door to the Lodato home is gone, taken away as possible evidence.

The case is making national and even international headlines on ABC News World News Tonight, the New York Daily News, the Huffington Post and The Daily Mail, a London newspaper.

The Alexandria Police Department will keep the public informed as the investigation progresses. To report any suspicious activity, call (703) 746-4444.
Attachments:
325606.jpg

Serial Killer Feared After Virginia Shooting
Posted by: Serial Killer on the Loose? ()
Date: February 11, 2014 10:43AM

Serial Killer Feared After Virginia Shooting
http://abcnews.go.com/US/serial-killer-feared-virginia-shooting/story?id=22440796

Police in Alexandria, Va., have launched a manhunt for a balding gunman with a white beard amid fears that a serial killer may be on the loose.

Two people have been murdered inside their homes in recent months with no sign of forced entry. The shootings bear similarities to a decade-old unsolved murder.

The most recent shooting came Thursday when Ruthanne Lodato, 59, was shot and killed after a knock at her door around 11:30 a.m. A caregiver was also shot, but survived.

Investigators believe an older man with a white beard was the gunman, pulling out a gun and firing repeatedly when the door opened. Police have released a sketch of the suspect. The man is described as balding with some gray hair, a beard and wearing a tan jacket.

Resident Daniel Bender told ABC News that the shooting has had a profound impact on the region.

“It touches us all whether you knew her directly or not,” he said. “It ripples out. You can't help but be affected by it.”

Ellen Epstein, who owns a dog-walking company, said the neighborhood is usually quiet and calm.

"Everybody's conjecturing a million things," she told ABC News. "It's really hard to believe that in a neighborhood like this, nobody saw the perpetrator. That's what's really strange."

Some of the neighborhood fear involves the shooting’s similarity to previous crimes. In November, Ron Kirby, a transportation official, was gunned down in his home.

Nancy Dunning, a real estate agent, was also shot and killed inside her home in 2003.

All of the shootings happened within two miles of each other, during the late morning or early afternoon with no forced entry.

While police are looking for connections between the crimes, Alexandria Mayor William Euille wants the investigation to unfold before making any judgment.

“Residents have a right to be concerned, but I don’t want to characterize it that there is a serial killer floating around this city,” Euille said.

Following Thursday’s shooting, residents have been calling locksmiths, hoping to get peep-holes installed in their doors, police said.

Bender said the recent shooting has made area residents more vigilant.

"I don't know that people are more fearful, but I think they're more skeptical. I think they're more cautious," he told ABC News.

Former FBI agent Brad Garrett, an ABC News consultant, said residents should be cautious, making sure they have a way to check the front door without answering, using a side window or other means to check on visitors.

He also wondered if the victims share anything in common, such as a church or social organization.

Garrett said it's possible the same person is responsible for all three murders.

“When you’re dealing with somebody, if this is one person, this is a very troubled person. And they can go dormant for a while before they reactivate,” Garrett said.

“So is it conceivable that one guy did all three of these? And the answer is yes.”

Watch the news video here: http://abcnews.go.com/US/serial-killer-feared-virginia-shooting/story?id=22440796

Re: Serial Killer Feared After Virginia Shooting
Posted by: Ju6b4 ()
Date: February 11, 2014 10:49AM

I've given everyone I know a coded knock to use. If anyone knocks without a code I won't open the door, I'll just empty a full clip through it. It's only a cheap door anyway. Better to be safe than sorry.

Posted by: Starsky ()
Date: February 11, 2014 05:45PM

This could be a contract killing with alot involved. She could be set to get most of money in her mothers will. Maybe one of her brothers who are judges and lawyers, which means they are greedy scumbags, had her killed. The good book says in th book of Timothy, "For the love of money is the root of all evils". Well folks there is lots of evil in this world dominated by jews, lawyers, and judges who are destined for hell. They are rich in this world but they will be denied the gates of heaven and sent to the fire pits of hell where they belong for being so greedy and killing their own relatives dreams and livelyhoods. If any detective sees this please check this angle of the case. Family member involved due to mony.

Posted by: Hutch ()
Date: February 11, 2014 06:09PM

They need to look at mothers will and who the exectutor of thw will is. This is a very messy proscess if you have lawyers and judges in the family. They could have had her killed and paid the bastard 20000 grand but probably netted 2 million. I would make sure they get nothing now.

Posted by: P Z ()
Date: February 11, 2014 06:25PM

I agree with inside job angle. You must look at the money trail. Some of these lawyers and judges have a one tracked mind of money,money,money. If something doesnt go the way their sociopathic mind wants they kill.

Posted by: stacy ()
Date: February 11, 2014 07:03PM

what did this creeps car look like i had a creepy encounter with a man lookin like this guy in a small blue car but in md. he was so creepy

Posted by: MCulkin ()
Date: February 11, 2014 10:25PM

Good God, that sketch: it's old man Marley from "Home Alone."
http://www.eonline.com/eol_images/Entire_Site/2011614/300.blossom.tg.071411.jpg

Posted by: TBill ()
Date: February 11, 2014 11:47PM

...was wondering if this guy might be a copycat of the DC snipers. The Dunning murder in 2003 would have been about a year after the DC snipers were captured in Oct_2002.

Posted by: MaryAnnBerry ()
Date: February 12, 2014 12:28AM

The victims and the perps all seem to be in the same age range. Could they have met each other through community senior activities? Dancing classes, exercise for seniors, etc?

Posted by: Hmmmm.... ()
Date: February 12, 2014 07:21AM

MaryAnnBerry Wrote:
> The victims and the perps all seem to be in the
> same age range. Could they have met each other
> through community senior activities? Dancing
> classes, exercise for seniors, etc?

Well they are now, but what if they were involved in events say 10 years ago or so? What if the killer was involved in something else illegal and went to jail for that, and was just released some months ago and is on a killing spree? This might explain the gap of about 10 years between the Dunning killing and these killings now.

FBI Part of Lodato Homicide Investigation; Police to Canvass Neighborhood Monday
Posted by: Suspect Questioned ()
Date: February 18, 2014 08:34AM

FBI Part of Lodato Homicide Investigation; Police to Canvass Neighborhood Monday

Man who fit description was questioned at DC concert over the weekend, after audience member contacted security.
http://oldtownalexandria.patch.com/groups/police-and-fire/p/fbi-part-of-lodato-homicide-investigation-police-to-canvass-neighborhood-monday

Alexandria Police are working around the clock to try to find the man suspected in the fatal shooting of Alexandria music teacher Ruthanne Lodato, 59, who died Thursday after answering a knock on her door on Ridge Road Drive in Alexandria.

The release of the suspect composite on Friday generated an enormous number of tips, according to police. As a result the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) is assisting the department with agents and analysts to help vet each and every tip.

The composite sketch released Friday night prompted an incident at a concert in DC over the weekend, when an audience member thought she saw someone who fit the description, according to a story in Monday's Washington Post. The concert took place at the National Academy of Science's building on Constitution Avenue NW. After park police spoke to the man, he was released.

Beginning Monday, detectives and officers will be out in the community surrounding Ridge Road Drive speaking with residents and handing out flyers. Law enforcement officers residents encounter will identify themselves and have credentials. Anyone who is apprehensive may call (703) 746-4444 or 9-1-1 if they feel they are in immediate danger, according to police.

Residents should continue to take standard precautions with their safety, police say. Police recommend locking doors and windows at all times, and be sure of who is at your door before you answer. Do not open your door for strangers, police warn.

The Alexandria Police Department will keep the public informed as the investigation progresses. To report any suspicious activity, call (703) 746-4444.

Posted by: N6M6p ()
Date: February 19, 2014 07:23AM

So did they catch this guy?

Posted by: Alexandrian ()
Date: February 19, 2014 08:04AM

N6M6p Wrote:
> So did they catch this guy?

No, but who cares? The important thing is that we have a Black police chief.

City of Alexandria releases 911 Call in Lodato Killing
Posted by: More Info ()
Date: February 21, 2014 08:03AM

911 call released in Alexandria music teacher’s slaying

February 19, 2014 2:32 PM EST — Alexandria officials released this 911 recording on Wednesday as part of a Freedom of Information Act request. The call highlights the chaos and confusion that took hold almost from the moment Ruthanne Lodato was shot and killed and her mother’s caretaker was wounded. (City of Alexandria)

Go here to listen to the 911 call:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/posttv/local/911-call-released-in-alexandria-music-teachers-slaying/2014/02/19/7e4392bc-999d-11e3-b1de-e666d78c3937_video.html

Re: City of Alexandria releases 911 Call in Lodato Killing
Posted by: Yet More Info ()
Date: February 21, 2014 08:03AM

Alexandria Police Miffed at Release of 911 Call in Lodato Killing
Police Chief Earl Cook 'shocked'; release could "hurt investigation,' police spokeswoman says.
http://oldtownalexandria.patch.com/groups/police-and-fire/p/alexandria-police-release-911-call-from-lodato-shooting

The City of Alexandria released the 911 call from the Ruthanne Lodato shooting, and that apparently came as a surprise to the Alexandria Police Department, according to a police spokeswoman.

The Washington Post filed a Freedom of Information Act request for audio of the call and received it "probably from the City Attorney's Office," said Crystal Nosal, public information officer for the police department.

Lodato was killed with her mother and a caretaker in the home. In the 911 call, a neighbor is talking to police after being notified of the shooting by the caretaker, who brought Lodato's mother with her. The, caretaker, who was injured, runs back to the Lodato home.

Nosal said the police department "did not know" the audio had been released until they received a phone call from a reporter about it and said they would not release the audio. Patch left a message with the City Attorney's office Thursday.

Audio of the 911 call was sent to The Washington Post "inadvertently," from the Alexandria City Attorney's Office, after they filed an FOIA request, said Corine Parks, a paralegal there.

"It will not be released again, it was a mistake," she said.

According to the Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press, "911 records are presumed open under Va. Code Ann. § 2.2-3706.G., but personal, medical or financial information is those records may be withheld if the safety or privacy of any person is jeopardized."

"It was a clerical error," Nosal said. "It was given out inadvertently, probably from the city attorney's office, and the police department wasn't informed."

Nosal said "somebody with the city had to contact the Alexandria Office of Emergency Communications. They should have known better."

Alexandria Police Chief Earl Cook, "was shocked," said Nosal, adding that there is concern about how release of the audio might impact the investigation.

Meanwhile, officers were out Thursday, two weeks after the shooting, in the neighborhood where the shooting occurred on Ridge Road Drive. Officers set up roadblocks to hand out flyers to drivers.

"People have patterns," Nosal noted. "It's the same time period" of the shooting. Police were called to the home Thursday, Feb. 6 at about 11:30 a.m.

In all, Alexandria police have received about 500 tips so far from the general public, she said.

Posted by: 7VM7W ()
Date: February 21, 2014 12:59PM

Former Detective Wrote:
> I just listened to the 6 minute 911 call by the
> neighbor of Mrs Lodato. It was frustating
> listening to the confusion of the call. First of
> all, the caretaker was said to have been shot.
> When was she shot? The neighbor says nothing about
> her being shot to the 911 operator. Secondly, she
> says nothing about being shot and cant communicate
> to the neighbor who the intrudor is. The neighbor
> is telling the 911 dispatcher that the intrudor is
> a female and is lying down in the house. The
> neighbor asks the caretaker if it was a male or
> female intrudor and the caretaker apparentely says
> it is a female. Please google Ruth Anne Lodato 911
> call and listen and comment. Something is very
> fishy about all of this. The whole thing seems
> staged and I feel there is a conspiracy going on.
> Why? Probably a lot of money involved ie a will,
> life insurance, etc.

I think there is much more to this story than anyone realizes.

Posted by: LOLz ()
Date: February 21, 2014 07:33PM

That 911 call is hilarious! The caregiver runs to the neighbor and then runs back to the house where the shooter is. Mios Dios!

Posted by: VnkXC ()
Date: February 21, 2014 07:36PM

Jesus, no wonder the police can't catch anybody, the witnesses are retarded!

Listen to it for yourself...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/posttv/local/911-call-released-in-alexandria-music-teachers-slaying/2014/02/19/7e4392bc-999d-11e3-b1de-e666d78c3937_video.html

Posted by: 6DnHC ()
Date: February 21, 2014 07:53PM

Everytime I hear this, I imagine how much more funny it would be with the Seinfeld song playing in the background. Where are the cops during all this? It doesn't take that long to swallow that chili dog and get out of the 7-11 parking lot, right?

Posted by: Alexander Smith ()
Date: February 22, 2014 11:32AM

Ex Cop Wrote:
> Stabitha Wrote:
> -----
> > Are they sure it wasnt a crack smoking nigger
> with
> > an old white guy mask?
>
>
> Yes they are sure it is a white man. No mask on.

Nothing seems to add up though. Why would a white male knock on a random strangers door in Alexandria and shoot her? That's too much violence not to be black.

Posted by: bcc3c ()
Date: February 22, 2014 06:19PM

this is rediculous

she knew the guy and her family likely knows she knew

stop f'ing lying

it's insurance money. or some facist foreigner bitch now has her job and maybe x boyfreind. or something.

-----------------------------
if she were a banker i'd be up in arms. i know they are sometimes stalked and killed by foreigns who then become "bank managers". all of teh sudden the bank is run by then owned over seas. or some "loans" go bad. hmmm.

Posted by: 46mGd46mGd ()
Date: February 22, 2014 06:20PM

the idea some old greyhaired white guy walks up shoots her and isn't seen again

total crap. more likely a cop shot her and filed a false report.

and that's statistically true.

Posted by: d3VWM ()
Date: February 23, 2014 05:16AM

Alexander Smith Wrote:
> Ex Cop Wrote:
> -----
> > Stabitha Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Are they sure it wasnt a crack smoking nigger
> > with
> > > an old white guy mask?
> >
> >
> > Yes they are sure it is a white man. No mask
> on.
>
>
> Nothing seems to add up though. Why would a white
> male knock on a random strangers door in
> Alexandria and shoot her? That's too much violence
> not to be black.

That 911 call is horrible.

Posted by: LCouture ()
Date: February 24, 2014 07:51AM

While it takes a resident weeks often months to get results from FOIA requests, the press apparently has priority in the process. Now isn't that special!

Posted by: Anything new? ()
Date: February 24, 2014 12:27PM

Any updates on this investigation? I heard someone else was shot a few days ago. Any relation to this?

Posted by: possibley ()
Date: February 24, 2014 01:57PM

Anything new? Wrote:
> Any updates on this investigation? I heard someone
> else was shot a few days ago. Any relation to
> this?

I wonder if this is related:
1 injured in Alexandria shooting
Sunday - 2/23/2014, 10:05pm ET
WASHINGTON - A man is in stable condition after a shooting in Alexandria on Sunday evening.

The Alexandria police say that they got a report of a shooting at about 6:30 p.m. at North Payne Street and Wythe Street. When they got there, they found a man with a gunshot wound to the upper torso.

Anyone with information about this incident is asked to contact Detective Dan Gordon with the Alexandria Police Department at 703 746 6685.

Follow @WTOP on Twitter and on the WTOP Facebook page.

© 2014 WTOP. All Rights Reserved.

Tags: shooting, alexandria

Re: FBI Part of Lodato Homicide Investigation; Police to Canvass Neighborhood Monday
Posted by: dHFTc ()
Date: March 04, 2014 02:53PM

Do we have the right description of the killer? Hearing now how hysterical the caregiver was, with all sorts of wrong information, I am truly worried about the description of the killer that was given to police. The caregiver did not even know how to scream for ambulance. I don't blame her for being hysterical, I am just worried she was not in her right mind. Surely she saw blood when she said a woman was on the floor, why didn't she scream to the neighbor- ambulance needed. In this state of shock-did she really give the police a correct description?

Re: FBI Part of Lodato Homicide Investigation; Police to Canvass Neighborhood Monday
Posted by: Burke Curve ()
Date: March 15, 2014 06:47PM

dHFTc Wrote:
> Do we have the right description of the killer?
> Hearing now how hysterical the caregiver was, with
> all sorts of wrong information, I am truly worried
> about the description of the killer that was given
> to police. The caregiver did not even know how to
> scream for ambulance. I don't blame her for being
> hysterical, I am just worried she was not in her
> right mind. Surely she saw blood when she said a
> woman was on the floor, why didn't she scream to
> the neighbor- ambulance needed. In this state of
> shock-did she really give the police a correct
> description?

Well, if the guy they arrested in Wheeling turns out to be the shooter, she absolutely nailed the description. You couldn't have gotten a better composite sketch if the guy was sitting in a chair posing for the artist.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.