HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
are license plate frames legal in va?
Posted by: brand new ()
Date: April 29, 2010 06:29PM

Are they legal in VA? It doesn't cover anything important. I know in a few states they are illegal.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: are license plate frames legal in va?
Posted by: ThePackLeader ()
Date: April 29, 2010 06:53PM

Yes, they are perfectly legal, so long as your license plate identification is still visible. I have a frame over mine which covers the top "Virginia" portion of the plate, and even that is legal. I also have another one with a clear plastic cover over the plate, and that is fine as well. You only really get into issues when you begin placing tinted or colored plastic covers over the plates, or when you have them obscured by dirt, or made less visible by a broken plate light, an improperly placed bike rack, etc.

==================================================================================================
"And if any women or children get their legs torn off, or faces caved in, well, it's tough shit for them." -2LT. Bert Stiles, 505th, 339th (On Berlin Bombardier Mission, 1944).

Posted by: Agreed PL ()
Date: April 29, 2010 06:57PM

In accordance with Virginia license plate laws, the DMV will issue you two license plates, two decals showing the expiration date, and a registration card. The decals need to be placed on the license plates. The plates must be securely fastened to the front and rear of the vehicle and be clearly visible. It is illegal to mount license plates frames, colored glass, plastic or any other type of covering on your license plates that alters or obscures the letters, numbers, decals or the state where the vehicle is registered, and when the registration expires.

Posted by: General Lee ()
Date: April 29, 2010 09:07PM

Si.

Posted by: trogdor! ()
Date: April 29, 2010 09:51PM

Make sure you don't use one that has a plastic cover. This is an excuse to be pulled over if you have already caught the attention of police. All the officer has to do is say that it was reflecting light back and they couldn't read your plate. You=toast.

Here's the applicable code:

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+46.2-716

§ 46.2-716. How license plates fastened to vehicle; altering appearance of license plates.

A. Every license plate shall be securely fastened to the motor vehicle, trailer, or semitrailer to which it is assigned:

1. So as to prevent the plate from swinging,

2. In a position to be clearly visible, and

3. In a condition to be clearly legible.

B. No colored glass, colored plastic, bracket, holder, mounting, frame, or any other type of covering shall be placed, mounted, or installed on, around, or over any license plate if such glass, plastic, bracket, holder, mounting, frame, or other type of covering in any way alters or obscures (i) the alpha-numeric information, (ii) the color of the license plate, (iii) the name or abbreviated name of the state wherein the vehicle is registered, or (iv) any character or characters, decal, stamp, or other device indicating the month or year in which the vehicle's registration expires. No insignia, emblems, or trailer hitches or couplings shall be mounted in such a way as to hide or obscure any portion of the license plate or render any portion of the license plate illegible.

C. The Superintendent may make such regulations as he may deem advisable to enforce the proper mounting and securing of the license plate on the vehicle.

(Code 1950, § 46-102; 1958, c. 541, § 46.1-107; 1960, c. 119; 1986, c. 186; 1989, c. 727; 2000, c. 258; 2001, c. 19; 2006, c. 549.)

Posted by: SF ()
Date: October 02, 2010 11:24PM

The problem I can see on license plate issues. Every states have different view of rules cause too much confuse and enjoy to earn extra $$$ for states. In fact, you cannot find a radar detector device in state of Virginia from retail stores or even online. They will warn that device was illegal in Virginia. That was very clear information but I can see thousand times at auto part stores such as Advanced Auto Parts, Auto Barn, others sells license plate covers regardless if it clear or tinted meanwhile Virginia did not nothing about it and put so many drivers into victim with officers and earn about 200 bucks per incident.

This is a land of freedom and free of choice regardless north or south should allow everyone to use clear cover to protect the plates as long as it does not obscured if view direct the plates not from side by side.

I disagree with Virginia's long time rule against radar detector. The law should update and make it simple one. I would support officers to stop drivers and fine them double amount if use radar detector and speed combined. In my opinion, radar detector did help me to warn me to double check on my speedometer to ensure that I drive within legal speed often while I live outside from Virginia.

The problem as all states should review the rules and make everything simple as possible. I hate to pull out and endanger myself or the officer(s) in highway for over unnecessary incidents.

The highway officers should focus on drivers to ensure that they drive proper within reasonable speed, safety, help drivers if their vehicle disabled and others. Meanwhile on local street officers should focus to ensure that drivers follow rules such as not pass red light, excessive speed, invalid or expire license plates, lack of safety such as tires, lights, etc. The officers will have more safe to pull out in local street and impose the violation compared with highway.

I watched TV few times and really sick to see officers pulled out from high-speed highway that will lead more unnecessary accidents and unnecessary injuries, loss of property and even death.

This points, it is very good time to change the laws to protect both drivers and officers with more sense situation.

Posted by: qWEST ()
Date: October 02, 2010 11:36PM

The problem is people buy the covers to conceal their license plates from photo cameras. All cops know that. That's why DMV outlawed the covers.

A covered license plate is a perfect reason for cop to pull you over and check you out at any time.

Posted by: Give Me Liberty, or Give Me Death ()
Date: October 02, 2010 11:41PM

SF Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The problem I can see on license plate issues.
> Every states have different view of rules cause
> too much confuse and enjoy to earn extra $$$ for
> states. In fact, you cannot find a radar detector
> device in state of Virginia from retail stores or
> even online. They will warn that device was
> illegal in Virginia. That was very clear
> information but I can see thousand times at auto
> part stores such as Advanced Auto Parts, Auto
> Barn, others sells license plate covers regardless
> if it clear or tinted meanwhile Virginia did not
> nothing about it and put so many drivers into
> victim with officers and earn about 200 bucks per
> incident.
>
> This is a land of freedom and free of choice
> regardless north or south should allow everyone to
> use clear cover to protect the plates as long as
> it does not obscured if view direct the plates not
> from side by side.
>
> I disagree with Virginia's long time rule against
> radar detector. The law should update and make it
> simple one. I would support officers to stop
> drivers and fine them double amount if use radar
> detector and speed combined. In my opinion, radar
> detector did help me to warn me to double check on
> my speedometer to ensure that I drive within legal
> speed often while I live outside from Virginia.
>
> The problem as all states should review the rules
> and make everything simple as possible. I hate to
> pull out and endanger myself or the officer(s) in
> highway for over unnecessary incidents.
>
> The highway officers should focus on drivers to
> ensure that they drive proper within reasonable
> speed, safety, help drivers if their vehicle
> disabled and others. Meanwhile on local street
> officers should focus to ensure that drivers
> follow rules such as not pass red light, excessive
> speed, invalid or expire license plates, lack of
> safety such as tires, lights, etc. The officers
> will have more safe to pull out in local street
> and impose the violation compared with highway.
>
> I watched TV few times and really sick to see
> officers pulled out from high-speed highway that
> will lead more unnecessary accidents and
> unnecessary injuries, loss of property and even
> death.
>
> This points, it is very good time to change the
> laws to protect both drivers and officers with
> more sense situation.

Etc., etc., etc. Isn't freedom of speech wonderful!

Posted by: trogdor! ()
Date: October 02, 2010 11:44PM

SF Wrote:
> T That was very clear
> information but I can see thousand times at auto
> part stores such as Advanced Auto Parts, Auto
> Barn, others sells license plate covers regardless
> if it clear or tinted meanwhile Virginia did not
> nothing about it and put so many drivers into
> victim with officers and earn about 200 bucks per
> incident.

Well for whatever reason, Virginia made the sale of radar detectors illegal. which is unusual and interesting because the possession of a radar detector is *not* illegal. Just using it in a vehicle.

What other product/object can you think of where it is completely legal to own it, but illegal to sell? The only one I can think of off hand is prescription drugs. I'm sure this is a weak point in the law which could lead to it being overturned.

Date: October 05, 2010 08:19PM

I was told by a James City County Cop that all tag frames and covers are illegal in Virginia.
**********************************************************************************

As you may know, Virginia is the only state that bans the use and sale of radar detectors. There is no evidence that the radar detector ban increases highway safety. Our nation’s fatality rates have fallen consistently for almost two decades. Virginia’s fatality rate has also fallen, but not any more dramatically than it has nationwide. Research has even shown that radar detector owners have a lower accident rate than motorists who do not own a detector.

Maintaining the ban is not in the best interest of Virginians or visitors to the state. I know and know of people that will not drive in Virginia due to this ban. Unjust enforcement practices are not unheard of, and radar detectors can keep safe motorists from being exploited by abusive speed traps. Likewise, the ban has a negative impact on Virginia’s business community. Electronic distributors lose business to neighboring states and Virginia misses out on valuable sales tax revenue.

Radar detector bans do not work. Research and experience show that radar detector bans do not result in lower accident rates, improved speed-limit compliance or reduce auto insurance expenditures.
• The Virginia radar detector ban is difficult and expensive to enforce. The Virginia ban diverts precious law enforcement resources from more important duties and this ban may be ILLEGAL.
• Radar detectors are legal in the rest of the nation, in all 49 other states. In fact, the first state to test a radar detector ban, Connecticut, repealed the law – it ruled the law was ineffective and unfair. It is time for our Virginia to join the rest of the nation.
• It has never been shown that radar detectors cause accidents or even encourage motorists to drive faster than they would otherwise. The Yankelovich – Clancy – Shulman Radar Detector Study conducted in 1987, showed that radar detector users drove an average of 34% further between accidents (233,933 miles versus 174,554 miles) than non radar detector users. The study also showed that they have much higher seat belt use compliance. If drivers with radar detectors have fewer accidents, it follows that they have reduced insurance costs – it is counterproductive to ban radar detectors.
• In a similar study performed in Great Britain by MORI in 2001 the summary reports that "Users (of radar detectors) appear to travel 50% further between accidents than non-users. In this survey the users interviewed traveling on average 217,353 miles between accidents compared to 143,401 miles between accidents of those non-users randomly drawn from the general public." The MORI study also reported "Three quarters agree, perhaps unsurprisingly, that since purchasing a radar detector they have become more conscious about keeping to the speed limit..." and "Three in five detector users claim to have become a safer driver since purchasing a detector."
• Modern radar detectors play a significant role in preventing accidents and laying the technology foundation for the Safety Warning System® (SWS). Radar detectors with SWS alert motorists to oncoming emergency vehicles, potential road hazards, and unusual traffic conditions. There are more than 10 million radar detectors with SWS in use nationwide. The federal government has earmarked $2.1 million for further study of the SWS over a three-year period of time. The U.S. Department of Transportation is administering grants to state and local governments to purchase the SWS system and study its effectiveness (for example, in the form of SWS transmitters for school buses and emergency vehicles). The drivers of Virginia deserve the right to the important safety benefits that SWS delivers.

Please sign this petition and help to repeal this ban and give drivers in Virginia the freedom to know if they are under surveillance and to use their property legally:

www.thepetitionsite.com/1/repeal-the-virginia-radar-detector-ban

Posted by: Watson ()
Date: October 05, 2010 10:10PM

trogdor! Wrote:
> Well for whatever reason, Virginia made the sale
> of radar detectors illegal. which is unusual and
> interesting because the possession of a radar
> detector is *not* illegal. Just using it in a
> vehicle.
>
> What other product/object can you think of where
> it is completely legal to own it, but illegal to
> sell? The only one I can think of off hand is
> prescription drugs. I'm sure this is a weak point
> in the law which could lead to it being
> overturned.

Vagina

Posted by: Mickey ()
Date: January 15, 2013 07:48PM

I am military and move a lot. I have had the same Cincinnati Bengals frame for over ten years. I have had license plates from KY, OH, MT, and CO. I recently moved to VA, but I still have CO license plates. During my two-hour commute home today (I'm in training this week in MD), I was pulled over about two minutes from my house. The cop asked me if I had any idea why I was pulled over. I responded with no.

He then pointed out my license plate frame. I still had no idea what was wrong and thought maybe he was a Ravens' fan. :-P He finally told me that my frame covered Colorado and I needed to remove it. Luckily, he only gave me a warning, but said I will get a ticket next time.

Up until this point, I have had cops behind me in several states and without issue. However, this cop could have given me a ticket. I would just be safe and just remove the frame. It's not worth a ticket.

I also agree that the law probably exists (or is enforced more heavily) because of the traffic cameras. VA is the first state we've lived in, which tickets are given by using cameras. Makes sense...

Posted by: Janz ()
Date: January 15, 2013 09:57PM

I believe the police should be focusing more of their attention on those vehicles with tow ready hitch balls, which really obscure the middle portion of the license plate....

Virginia license plate frames
Posted by: Alexis gerena ()
Date: June 08, 2015 06:57PM

Hi I was coming from Florida and on my way through Virginia I was pulled over by an officer, who said that he could not see on my plate where it said www.pa.com. the frame on my plate was from the dealer. My question is why after all the years ive traveled to and from Virginia and worked in all parts of Virginia did I get stopped now, maybe because he noticed that my wife was black and hes black I don't know. So anyway is this law applicable to non residents who don't know the law because they and I do not live in Virginia.

Posted by: Mike O'Meara Show Fan ()
Date: June 08, 2015 07:32PM

Mickey Wrote:
> I am military and move a lot. I have had the same
> Cincinnati Bengals frame for over ten years. I
> have had license plates from KY, OH, MT, and CO.
> I recently moved to VA, but I still have CO
> license plates. During my two-hour commute home
> today (I'm in training this week in MD), I was
> pulled over about two minutes from my house. The
> cop asked me if I had any idea why I was pulled
> over. I responded with no.
>
> He then pointed out my license plate frame. I
> still had no idea what was wrong and thought maybe
> he was a Ravens' fan. :-P He finally told me that
> my frame covered Colorado and I needed to remove
> it. Luckily, he only gave me a warning, but said
> I will get a ticket next time.
>
> Up until this point, I have had cops behind me in
> several states and without issue. However, this
> cop could have given me a ticket. I would just be
> safe and just remove the frame. It's not worth a
> ticket.
>
> I also agree that the law probably exists (or is
> enforced more heavily) because of the traffic
> cameras. VA is the first state we've lived in,
> which tickets are given by using cameras. Makes
> sense...

Cops are enormous fags. He was hitting on you.

Posted by: UYjFn ()
Date: June 08, 2015 09:27PM

DUH. if they're not on while your driving.

Posted by: TX7GT ()
Date: June 08, 2015 09:28PM

cops love making a life risking move and blowing time only to find out

1) your too stupid to turn of your plate light to avoid him having to see why it's on

2) your less fun than listening to WTOP repeat the news a 50th time

Posted by: What a Bunch of Dumbasses ()
Date: June 10, 2015 07:41PM

Damn, what a simple dumb-f---ing thread. It's not even political. It's just plain dumb.

Like, really, really dumb. I remember being in third grade, and there was this dumb kid, and after the first week, he disappeared, and I later saw him in the dumb class, and I waved to him.

This thread is that dumb.

Re: are license plate cover legal in va?
Posted by: Bebo ()
Date: September 19, 2015 02:25PM

Is license plate lil tinted cover illegal?

Re: are license plate cover legal in va?
Posted by: DFNnE ()
Date: September 19, 2015 02:42PM

Bebo Wrote:
> Is license plate lil tinted cover illegal?

Yes.

Posted by: That.Guy ()
Date: September 19, 2015 05:33PM

UYjFn Wrote:
> DUH. if they're not on while your driving.

If your vehicle does not comply with the license plate laws listed above AND it's parked on public land or streets...you're getting a ticket...even if the vehicle is not in operation.

I know.

I've gotten a ticket for this.

Posted by: why do you have it ()
Date: September 19, 2015 11:46PM

Why do you have a license plate frame on your car? Esp FROM THE DEALERSHIP? Do you enjoy driving around advertising for the dealership where you bought your car? Just take it off! Jeez! And if you love your football team or your college so scary much, get a f***ing bumper sticker. What a bunch of dumbasses.

Posted by: not to mention ()
Date: September 21, 2015 12:39PM

the bike racks that completely obscure the license plate.

I got pulled over one Saturday night for changing lanes then changing back (I changed my mind, there wasn't anything illegal about it). When the cop couldn't find anything illegal about that, he decided to warn me about my license plate bracket which, like nearly every single other one out there, covers the top quarter of the word "Virginia."

He could have just said that because I changed lanes like I did, he wanted to make sure there was nothing else going on. End of traffic stop. No need to make up bullshit.

Especially when there are so many other things wrong out there that really ARE a danger.

Posted by: Greybeard ()
Date: September 21, 2015 08:02PM

not to mention Wrote:
> the bike racks that completely obscure the license
> plate.
>
> I got pulled over one Saturday night for changing
> lanes then changing back (I changed my mind, there
> wasn't anything illegal about it). When the cop
> couldn't find anything illegal about that, he
> decided to warn me about my license plate bracket
> which, like nearly every single other one out
> there, covers the top quarter of the word
> "Virginia."
>
> He could have just said that because I changed
> lanes like I did, he wanted to make sure there was
> nothing else going on. End of traffic stop. No
> need to make up bullshit.
>
> Especially when there are so many other things
> wrong out there that really ARE a danger.

Wow, really? You're bitching because he gave you a warning? Poor you.

Posted by: Hammerheaded ()
Date: September 21, 2015 11:24PM

why do you have it Wrote:
> Why do you have a license plate frame on your car?
> Esp FROM THE DEALERSHIP? Do you enjoy driving
> around advertising for the dealership where you
> bought your car? Just take it off! Jeez! And if
> you love your football team or your college so
> scary much, get a f***ing bumper sticker. What a
> bunch of dumbasses.

Last year I ordered a Shelby. I had them type up on my order paperwork, "No license plate bracket, no dealership badge." Sure enough when the car was delivered and I went in to take it home, it had BOTH a bracket AND a badge on it. I showed them my paperwork and asked them to take it off. They said all vehicles must leave the dealership with those items...that was their policy.

I said, they could either knock $5,000 off the car as an "advertising fee" since I would be driving around town with their dealership name on my car OR they could refund my deposit and I'd cancel the order. They gave me a refund on my deposit.

I drove 5 miles to the next Ford dealership and explained to them the situation. They had the car transferred over from the other dealership, removed the dealership's bracket and badge and called me 2 hours later to come in and finalize the deal...for $500 less.

Posted by: edndb ()
Date: September 22, 2015 06:03AM

Hmm... that code section seems to imply that I could mount the plate upside down without penalty.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.