HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
I had a dream, county supervisors and Metro board members ride transit for a week
Posted by: CommuteDream ()
Date: August 17, 2015 07:05PM

With all of the transit challenges/breakdowns the past couple of weeks (Orange and Silver lines especially) and the buses (some express ones good with better demographics, but other slower ones with multiple connections not), had a dream, would it be interesting if every supervisor on the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors and every board member on the Metro/WMATA board had to abandon their cars and ride the public buses (Fairfax Connector, Metrobus, ART, etc, but no private shuttle buses) and Metro, VRE, and/or MARC trains commuting between their homes and their offices every day each way for a week Monday thru Friday. One would think after this that additional resources would be had for transit or it be more efficiently run. Let them feel the constituents and passengers pain in some cases.

If this were to be be, each of them would ride buses and trains between their homes and offices, even if it is two, three, four, or even five transit vehicles for a one way commute, even if means getting up early or arriving home late. If their home was not within a safe 1/2 mile walk of a bus stop or at a time transit is not running near their area, they would be allowed to use Uber or a taxi for only that short distance to the closest bus stop where transit is running. They could use cars for any on the job travel, but not for commuting.

I know most likely this is only a dream, but thinking what if this really did happen.

P.S. I believe one or two of the supervisors and/or Metro board members use transit regularly, but I cannot remember which ones.

Options: ReplyQuote

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.