HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Noise Ordinance
Posted by: Ted ()
Date: July 15, 2015 12:18PM

My comment addresses the new Fairfax County noise ordinance as it relates to outdoor music. As I currently understand the law - no outside music can be played between 11 PM and & 7 AM. This seems fair enough although I would personally provide exemption for the infrequent party. Perhaps more disturbing is loud and constant music through an outside stereo system by a neighbor in close proximity. Music taste is a very personal matter and when it is played as more-or-less continuous background music to daily life outside it becomes a nuisance. I don't think one should have to listen to a continuous stream of Miley Cyrus and Beyonce anymore than an all day audio Grateful Dead concert in retribution. (I've been tempted but there are other neighbors.) There is exactly one outdoor stereo system in our neighborhood and it is mounted 12 feet from my house.Unless you are forced to listen to someone else's audio selection whenever you are in your yard - it is hard to sympathize, I understand. Comity between neighbors is interpretive, at best. The current ordinance simply allows all day outdoor music. Why not consider a ban on outdoor audio systems base on lot size. Headphones were invented for a reason.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Noise Ordinance
Posted by: Moby Dick ()
Date: July 15, 2015 01:16PM

Music goes both ways - Get yourself a "Hot Mix" pressing of Led Zeppelin II LP. If you have a good turn table, and good speakers you can blow your neighbor's music right out of the water.

Posted by: Just an Excuse ()
Date: July 15, 2015 01:25PM

This is just an excuse to get the Code Office into your home and that of your neighbors. They will find every possible violation and if they are not cleared in a matter of weeks, Fairfax uses eminent domain to seize your house.

Don't believe me? It happened to the lady who helped run Craven's Nursery. If she had not been run out of the County, the Nursery could stay open under her management. The owner is retiring due to illness. What a travesty that whole thing was with her.

And don't get me wrong, they get one complaint, then they use that as a pretext to go to every house. They say they are gathering evidence. They say they want to com in and have you sign some form. Next thing you know, you're getting inspected and written up yourself.

Neighbors have to STICK TOGETHER against the fascist thugs from Government Center.

Posted by: Check The Code ()
Date: July 15, 2015 03:13PM

There are specific prohibitions on loudspeakers at night, but there are decibel violations as well in the Fairfax County code (I think it's a max of 60db during the day). If the neighbor's music is 'loud and constant' then it probably meets this threshold. I think I read that the county requires a complainant to first attempt to resolve the situation himself (i.e., talk to the neighbors).

If the neighbor is playing Miley Cyrus and Beyoncé (cringe) then I would imagine that it's the neighbor's kids (specifically, dàughters). Of course, the parents seem to be as oblivious as the kids. It's amazing how clueless people can be. Have you tried to talk to the neighbors in a non-confrontational manner? Sometimes neighbors push the envelope until someone pushes back. It's also possible that your HOA could be of some assistance.

Posted by: Confused Neighbor ()
Date: July 15, 2015 03:36PM

What do you do if it is a 66 year old man cranking Beyoncé to do some out of control twerking?

Posted by: Kilton ()
Date: July 15, 2015 07:24PM

Ted Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My comment addresses the new Fairfax County noise
> ordinance as it relates to outdoor music. As I
> currently understand the law - no outside music
> can be played between 11 PM and & 7 AM. This seems
> fair enough although I would personally provide
> exemption for the infrequent party.

Don't be silly. You can't have subjective terms like "infrequent" written into rules. Your neighbors don't want to be kept awake at night -- ever -- by your dopey music, regardless of how many times it has happened in the past or may happen again in the future.

> The current ordinance simply allows all day outdoor music.

Which is stupid -- we agree here. But that's the world we live in -- one where idiots think that other people are impressed my their musical taste.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.