HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
The Road to Independence
Posted by: M. Ames ()
Date: July 04, 2015 09:25AM

Happy Independence Day!

Today we celebrate the formal announcement of our separation from Great Britain. It is a day for pride and celebration -- but also a day for reflection, because it was a long road from the mere announcement to the reality.

• On that very day, what was then the largest invasion fleet in British history was anchored in New York harbor. Staten Island had been occupied the day before.

• The winter of Valley Forge, Washington's crossing, and the Battle of Trenton were more than a year in the future.

• The British invasion of the Southern colonies had not even begun - and they would not take Charleston for another four years.

• It would be five years before Cornwallis surrendered at Yorktown.

• And the Treaty of Paris, formally ending hostilities, was not signed until September 1783.

There was enormous sacrifice along the way, without which the Declaration of Independence would be just another relic, read only by scholars of an insignificant colonial rebellion.

As we rightly and joyfully celebrate the gift of liberty, with parades and games and fireworks, let us remember the perseverance and courage of those who made us the gift -- and pray that we may find the same qualities in ourselves.

Best wishes for a wonderful Fourth of July.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The Road to Independence
Posted by: Marco Rubio ()
Date: July 04, 2015 10:30AM

Politicians taking time out of their day to have staff tell us the meaning of Independence Day. Lovely. Here's another.

When our nation declared its independence 239 years ago, there were few who believed the American experiment would succeed. Through the genius of our people and the power of our founding principles, our nation has not only endured, it has risen to define two centuries of world history.

For those of us born in America, it can be easy to forget how special this nation is. I was raised by two parents who could never forget, because they knew what life was like outside of America. They had grown up in a country where the circumstances of your birth determined what you could achieve. My parents raised me to believe that in America, anyone can achieve anything.

The election before us is a defining moment in our nation’s history. It is the moment our generation must decide not just what laws we will pass, but also what kind of country we will be. This election is about honoring our history while embracing our future. It is about applying the principles of our founding to the challenges of our time, so we can extend the American Dream to more people than ever before. This can only be done by turning the page on yesterday and embracing a new generation of leaders.

On this 4th of July, I wish you a happy, safe, and meaningful time with family and friends. As we reflect on the freedoms that make America unique, we must also reflect on the sacrifices that were the price of those freedoms. Let us keep all the men and women fighting for our country today, and their families, in our prayers. They are a reminder that our country is strong, our people are safe and free, and our future is bright.

Sincerely,

Marco

Posted by: YHxvY ()
Date: July 04, 2015 12:38PM

White men don't fight revolutions anymore.

Date: July 04, 2015 04:41PM

It was about 90 years before blacks got theirs.

Posted by: Gerry Connolly ()
Date: July 04, 2015 05:19PM

Happy Fourth of July!

Today we celebrate the triumphs and tragedies that have made America uniquely great and the people who have made our freedom possible.

As we spend time with our friends and families over barbecues and fireworks this weekend, its important to remember the dedication of the brave men and women serving in uniform who continue to protect our country.

This Fourth of July, my wife Smitty, my daughter Caitlin, and I marched with veterans and citizens in parades in Fairfax City and Dale City. It was a wonderful time to meet with constituents and celebrate the ideas that bind our country together. It's also a touching reminder of the sacrifices that so many Americans have made to ensure our continued liberty.

Enjoy the holiday weekend with your friends and family. And from my family to yours, have a safe and happy Fourth of July.
Attachments:
Reelect Gerry Connolly Pix #34.jpg

Posted by: Gerry!!! ()
Date: July 04, 2015 05:22PM

^^^ Celebrate the tragedies? Gerry completely misses the point.

Posted by: Ralph Northam ()
Date: July 04, 2015 05:24PM

Every year on the Fourth of July, we come together to celebrate our great nation’s history. It’s a day for barbecue, parades, pool parties and fireworks.

But no matter what you’re doing, it’s a moment to enjoy quality time with friends and family.

This year on the 4th, I’ll be on call at the hospital. While today is a great day to honor and remember the unique greatness of our country, it’s also a day where too many people will find themselves in the emergency room because of accidents that could have been prevented.

So please, enjoy the festivities and celebrations safely. Honor the experiences that have bound our country together. And last (but not least), have fun with your family and friends

From my family to yours, I hope you have a happy Fourth of July.

Take care,

Ralph

Posted by: Ralph N ()
Date: July 04, 2015 05:25PM

This year on the 4th, I’ll be on call at the hospital.

Because I'm a good American. And this is about me. What about you?

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.