HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: Previous123AllNext
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: High School Boys Basketball (2013-2014 Season)
Posted by: nr fanatic ()
Date: February 02, 2014 09:28PM

A lot of your boys information is wrong anyway, the conference records aren't even close. I know you got it from the post though, but can't believe everything they tell you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: nat4lee ()
Date: February 02, 2014 09:38PM

The "Washington Post" is itself often incorrect in posting in-conference records. If you look at my posted schedules for each team, the team names listed in all-caps are the conference opponents. Those records are accurate. If I have made a typo somewhere, by all means let me know.

Posted by: hooptown ()
Date: February 02, 2014 10:27PM

nat4lee Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The "Washington Post" is itself often incorrect in
> posting in-conference records. If you look at my
> posted schedules for each team, the team names
> listed in all-caps are the conference opponents.
> Those records are accurate. If I have made a typo
> somewhere, by all means let me know.

Your standings are incorrect for some conferences. In conferences 6 and 13 only one meeting between each pair of teams counts towards the conference standings. For teams in these conferences that are also in the same district and therefore played twice, the first game counted towards the district standings and the second game counts towards the conference standings.

Posted by: herndonhomer ()
Date: February 02, 2014 11:12PM

So basically 6A north is wide open, but if herndon secures this brandon alston transfer then it might be over, because that is a 6'5 wing who can shoot.

Posted by: wardscorner ()
Date: February 03, 2014 02:09PM

All the standings look fine to me now. Thanks for the fix nat4lee.

Posted by: Brandon Parker ()
Date: February 03, 2014 02:16PM

WEST SPRINGFIELD BOYS' BASKETBALL PICKS UP PLAY WITH FOCUS IN THE POST
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On Nov. 8, Jason Eldredge coached the West Springfield football team in its season finale. Three days later, he was overseeing basketball tryouts while pondering how to revamp a team that went 4-19 the prior season.

Though the quick turnaround made for an exhausting stretch for Eldredge, who added head football coach to his duties this past season, the fourth-year basketball coach has been invigorated by the Spartans’ recent strong play on the hardwood. Winners of five of their last six games, the Spartans find themselves at 12-6 and a strong contender in the tough Conference 7.

“We’ve got a personality now,” Eldredge said. “When we started the year, we were hot with our outside shooting and that opened things up for our bigs inside. But then we hit a rut because we weren’t playing a lot of defense and we realized we can’t just outscore everybody.”

The low point came in a 41-point loss to No. 16 Herndon, leading the Spartans to tinker with their scheme so that it catered more to their strength in the post with junior John Cronin and senior Spencer Marin.

After leading the team in scoring last year, Cronin has continued to improve behind the ability to work around the rim, knock down mid-range jumpers and find open shooters like Christian Saulino when defenders collapse in the paint.

“I feel a lot more confident in my skills and having that trust in my game and in my teammates has really helped us improve our record this year,” said Cronin, who is averaging 17.6 points.

Alongside him is Marin, a 6-foot-8 center whose wingspan makes him a solid shot blocker and rebounder. After avenging an earlier loss to South County, Cronin and Marin demonstrated their complementary skills by scoring 23 and 20 points, respectively, in a win against conference foe Annandale on Tuesday.

“Not many teams have two big guys like me and Johnny, so that makes it hard for us to be stopped,” Marin said. “This year, we tired of being the same team that comes out, tries hard and has talent but still doesn’t get the win. We were ready to compete, and with nine seniors, we felt like we had something to prove.”

The final four games of the regular season will provide another means for the Spartans to prove their mettle. After facing Annandale and No. 19 Lake Braddock this week, the Spartans will host No. 11 Montrose Christian and W.T. Woodson before the playoffs.

“We’re playing well, but I don’t think we’ve seen this team play its best basketball yet,” Eldredge said. “I know that sounds cliché and weird because we’ve won four in a row, but we’ve got to keep improving on the little things, like minimizing turnoves. At this point of the year, you’ve got to bring your ‘A’ game every night.”

Posted by: spartan alum ()
Date: February 03, 2014 04:28PM

I still don't think WS has much of a chance this year, but it looks like I might be surprised.

Posted by: faget it ()
Date: February 03, 2014 06:04PM

Did you even see who the Spartans have to play? You're stupid. and Woodson and Braddock and Annandale will murder them when it matters. Go back to your sorry-ass excuse for a school.

Posted by: chubbybeagle ()
Date: February 03, 2014 06:35PM

Hey Nat4Lee:

Is the regional bracket posted anywhere? That will be key. With the 1 and 2 seeds in Conf. 5 (Robinson, Herndon) and 1 and 2 seeds in Conf. 7 (LB and Woodson) being strongest, wondering how the round 2 pairings impact chances for these four teams when 1 seeds play 2 seeds.

In other words, do we know if these teams are in same bracket pairings or meet potentially in semis?

Thanks.

Date: February 03, 2014 07:13PM

While teams still play the regular season in districts, district play is no longer the gateway to postseason and for most districts, there will no longer be district tournaments.

The first level of playoffs now is a new conference level. Each classification across the state was divided into half (called regions … which is confusing as they are not like the regions of old so please think of them as Sectionals) and in each of these regions, four conferences were formed of schools, ideally close to each other.

Each conference will hold a tournament or meet to send schools onto the next level of playoffs — the regional (or sectional) tournament or meet. As most conferences include schools from multiple districts, a thorny issue is how to seed teams for these conference tournaments. Each conference came up with their own formula for seeding.

The regional (sectional) tournament — featuring teams from the four conference within the region —  determines two teams to advance to the VHSL Final Four (VHSL state quarterfinals will no longer be held). In each classification the winner of each region will play the other region’s runner-up in the state semifinals and then the winners meet for the state championship.

Posted by: 5A Loudoun ()
Date: February 03, 2014 07:42PM

It should be noted that because the 5A North region has a small conference (conference 16 with just four schools — Albemarle, Halifax, Orange County, Patrick Henry-Albemarle) it was decided that each conference would send a different representation to the regional tournament with the 8-team conference 13 getting four teams in and conference 14 and conference 15 would get three each and the small conference 16 gets two teams in to make up a 12-team regional.

Date: February 03, 2014 09:47PM

Here is a really great graphic of the 6A North regional bracket! Great explanation.
Attachments:
6aregionbracket.jpg

Posted by: wow wow wow ()
Date: February 03, 2014 10:12PM

That is really awesome, like where in the hell did you find something like that? Anyway thanks!

Posted by: Reginald ()
Date: February 03, 2014 10:26PM

First off, you can probably imagine what the underside of my dick looks like so just hang that in the back of your mind real quick (more to come, dictated not read)

Date: February 03, 2014 10:35PM

I thought I had posted both brackets, but evidently not... here is the 5A regional bracket:
Attachments:
5bracket.jpg

Posted by: sarAlives ()
Date: February 04, 2014 11:40AM

Good explaining. I still don't like the state realignment though, I hope the state will revisit the idea.

Posted by: Dave Facinoli ()
Date: February 04, 2014 12:30PM

NO CINDERELLA IS FORECAST IN LIBERTY BOYS HOOPS
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Rich Avila is right, so throw out all of the records.

The Yorktown High School boys basketball coach was dead-on a few days back when he said the eight teams that will play in the upcoming Liberty Conference 6 tournament are a “carbon copy” of one another.

What that means is any of the eight are capable of defeating or losing to all of the others. Results from regular-season action proves Avila correct.

That means anything is possible, potentially a wide-open affair when the tournament begins Feb. 18. The seeding will mean nothing.

In addition to Yorktown, the other tournament participants will be Fairfax, Hayfield, Langley, Madison, McLean, South Lakes and Washington-Lee. Of the eight, five had losing records when the week began.

“Any team can win it,” Avila said. “It’s that even. The team that gets hot and takes care of the ball, makes good decisions, makes their free throws and shoots well will win.”

The big question is, which team will get hot and do those things? Again, Avila is on to something, because each is capable of getting hot, or not.

Some regard Hayfield as one of the top teams and Madison one of the lower squads. Yet in a Jan. 24 game, Madison defeated Hayfield. Then four days later, an up-and-down young Washington-Lee squad knocked off Madison.

Langley coach Scott Newman agreed with Avila about the balance of the conference. Langley has been playing well of late, with league wins over McLean and Fairfax. But the close victories were by just three and four points, respectively.

“He’s right,” Newman said of Avila. “There are no nights off.”

Based on record, McLean might be considered another bottom-tier team. Yet, don’t forget McLean upset highly regarded Lake Braddock in non-conference holiday tournament play.

South Lakes is thought of as one of the better Liberty teams, but had trouble against struggling Yorktown.

With all that parity, one thing is certain – the tournament champion definitely won’t be a Cinderella story. 

Date: February 04, 2014 12:44PM

Here are several players who have remained a bit under the radar this season but still made their mark:

F Will Gregorits, Lake Braddock, Sr.

His length and versatility make him a threat inside and outside the paint, making for another tough matchup on a Lake Braddock team filled with size and quickness. After working to recover from a preseason toe injury, the senior has the Bruins on a roll as the Conference 7 race thickens.

G Jason Jolly, Stone Bridge, Jr.

At 5-5, Jolly’s size alone makes him easy to overlook. But opponents have learned to respect the diminutive force who can pile up points in bunches with his quickness and penetration ability. Though he’s currently sidelined by a hand injury, look for Jolly to make some noise after his expected return in the coming weeks.

G Khiorie Stewart, Broad Run, Sr.

While Paul Rowley has staked his claim as Loudoun County’s top player, Stewart has attempted to make a run at the throne. The senior is a big reason why the Spartans reeled off 13 straight wins. He can knock down the open three and slice into the lane with his dribbling skills. Though Potomac Falls frustrated him into an off night last Friday, Stewart is one to watch.

Posted by: today!!! ()
Date: February 04, 2014 12:45PM

WHAT TO WATCH FOR TODAY

Lake Braddock vs. W.T. Woodson (at South County), 7:30 p.m.

A burst pipe has temporarily left Woodson without a home court, which is why Tuesday’s game against Conference 7 boys’ co-leader Lake Braddock will be played at South County. Lake Braddock won last week’s matchup in a low-scoring affair.

Date: February 04, 2014 02:10PM

There is a full slate of games scheduled to be played tonight. They include:

Annandale at West Springfield at 7:30 p.m.
Briar Woods at Stone Bridge at 7:45 p.m.
Broad Run at Tuscarora at 7:15 p.m.
Edison at Mount Vernon at 7:30 p.m.
Fairfax at Hayfield at 7:30 p.m.
Forest Park at Osbourn Park at 7:30 p.m.
Freedom-South Riding at Potomac Falls at 7 p.m.
Freedom-Woodbridge at Brooke Point at 7 p.m.
Gar-Field at Stonewall Jackson at 7:30 p.m.
Hylton at Osbourn at 7:30 p.m.
Jefferson at Marshall at 7:30 p.m.
Lake Braddock at W.T. Woodson at 7:30 p.m.
Lee at Stuart at 7:30 p.m.
Loudoun County at Woodgrove at 7:15 p.m.
Loudoun Valley at Champe at 7:15 p.m.
McLean at Yorktown at 7:45 p.m.
Oakton at Centreville at 7:30 p.m.
Patriot at Potomac at 7:30 p.m.
Robinson at Chantilly at 7:30 p.m.
South Lakes at Madison at 7:30 p.m.
Wakefield at Falls Church at 7:30 p.m.
Washington-Lee at Langley at 7:30 p.m.
West Potomac at T.C. Williams at 7:30 p.m.
Westfield at Herndon at 7:30 p.m.
Woodbridge at Battlefield at 7:30 p.m.

Posted by: justwondering ()
Date: February 04, 2014 02:30PM

First games of the second semester tonight - has anyone lost players to eligibility? Could make a huge difference down the stretch....

Posted by: die edison ()
Date: February 04, 2014 03:58PM

I can't wait to see Madison crush Edison tonight this will be fun!

Posted by: hey stupid ()
Date: February 04, 2014 04:01PM

edison is playing against mt vernon tonight, so yeah, you just keep on waitin for that to happen you little dipshit.

Posted by: BRUINS! BRUINS!! BRUINS!!! ()
Date: February 04, 2014 05:39PM

We are going to crush Woods on, take control of the conference, and take all you down! Bow before the Bruins you insolent little frauds!

Date: February 04, 2014 11:59PM

Here are some final scores from tonight's contests:

Annandale defeats West Springfield by a score of 79-64.
Bishop Ireton loses to St. John's by a score of 53-72.
Briar Woods versus Stone Bridge was postponed due to weather.
Broad Run versus Tuscarora was postponed due to weather.
Edison defeats Mount Vernon by a score of 65-59.
Fairfax loses to Hayfield by a score of 51-67.
Forest Park defeats Osbourn Park by a score of 71-67.
Freedom-South Riding versus Potomac Falls was postponed due to weather.
Freedom-Woodbridge defeats Brooke Point by a score of 66-64.
Hylton defeats Osbourn by a score of 65-59.
Jefferson loses to Marshall by a score of 46-49.
Lake Braddock defeats W.T. Woodson by a score of 59-58.
Lee defeats Stuart by a score of 58-55.
Loudoun Valley versus Champe was postponed due to weather.
McLean defeats Yorktown by a score of 44-41.
Patriot loses to Potomac by a score of 49-86.
Robinson defeats Chantilly by a score of 67-60.
South Lakes defeats Madison by a score of 74-51.
Wakefield defeats Falls Church by a score of 79-55.
Washington-Lee loses to Langley by a score of 37-50.
Westfield loses to Herndon by a score of 70-75.

Posted by: observered ()
Date: February 05, 2014 07:05AM

Why is Edison playing all these really close games against bad opponents?

Date: February 05, 2014 12:01PM

JOHN NICE LIFTS LAKE BRADDOCK OVER W.T. WOODSON
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

When John Nice gathered a pass on the left wing in the waning seconds of Tuesday’s game against W.T. Woodson, the Lake Braddock senior saw little, if anything, that made him feel good about the shot he was about to hoist.

Despite rolling off a pick, barely any space separated Nice from the Woodson defender shadowing him. And while the stepback dribble he took helped some, it left Nice slightly drifting backward as he floated up the three-point attempt. But even amid the imperfect circumstances, Nice exuded a confidence that made him the perfect player for the moment, the Bruins down two with less than 10 seconds left.

“I did hesitate a little because I didn’t have much room,” Nice said, “but after being cold in the first half, I had made a three on the shot before that, so I had my confidence back and it felt good when I shot it.”

Nice’s good feeling translated into euphoria for Lake Braddock, as he drained the three-pointer to lift the No. 19 Bruins to a 59-58 win over the Cavaliers. The victory gives Lake Braddock control of first place in the Virginia Conference 7 standings with three games remaining.

Tuesday’s game was held at South County as W.T. Woodson’s gym undergoes repair for a burst pipe, making it a road game for both teams, who appeared uncomfortable at the outset.

The Bruins’ zone defense kept the Cavaliers out of the paint and reliant on jump shots, while Lake Braddock (15-3, 8-1 in Conference 7) struggled to finish at the rim despite its size advantage.

That changed early in the second period, when Will Gregorits (19 points) threw down a dunk, sparking a run along with forward Reagan Jones to outscore Woodson 17-9 in the second quarter and move the Bruins ahead by six at halftime.

“Our rebounding and play inside was big with Will and Reagan,” said Nice, who finished with 12 points. “We started getting a lot more opportunities when they got going.”

Lake Braddock extended its lead to 10 points before the Cavaliers (12-6, 6-2) surged back behind guards Eric Bowles and Matt Ayoub. While Bowles (23 points) used his quickness to slice through Lake Braddock’s zone defense and score on tough layups, Ayoub got hot from the outside, draining five three-pointers to put Woodson up by two with less than six minutes to play.

With the Bruins jockeying to regain control, Nice drained his first three of the night followed by two free throws, pushing Lake Braddock back ahead and, more importantly, setting the stage for the game winner.

The teams traded baskets until Woodson missed the front end of a one-and-one opportunity at the foul line. With two plays previously drawn up by Bruins Coach Brian Metress at their disposal, Nice’s number was called and the senior delivered with his third field goal in the final two minutes.

“I give our guys credit for executing the right play and to John for making a tough shot,” Metress said. “This is a big win against a great team and it gives us confidence where we can kind of control our own destiny during these next two weeks going into the playoffs.”

Posted by: chubbybeagle ()
Date: February 05, 2014 12:55PM

Nat4Lee:

Thanks for posting bracket...you answered my question! Bottom line: the two strongest Div 5 teams: Herndon and Robinson, and the two strongest Div 7 teams: LB and Woodson would not square off until the semi final round of the regional tournament.

Should be a lot of fun watching this all unfold in next few weeks!

Posted by: MVH Fan ()
Date: February 05, 2014 02:55PM

Brandon Parker Wrote:
> JOHN NICE LIFTS LAKE BRADDOCK OVER W.T. WOODSON
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----------------------
>
> When John Nice gathered a pass on the left wing in
> the waning seconds of Tuesday’s game against
> W.T. Woodson, the Lake Braddock senior saw little,
> if anything, that made him feel good about the
> shot he was about to hoist.
>
> Despite rolling off a pick, barely any space
> separated Nice from the Woodson defender shadowing
> him. And while the stepback dribble he took helped
> some, it left Nice slightly drifting backward as
> he floated up the three-point attempt. But even
> amid the imperfect circumstances, Nice exuded a
> confidence that made him the perfect player for
> the moment, the Bruins down two with less than 10
> seconds left.
>
> “I did hesitate a little because I didn’t have
> much room,” Nice said, “but after being cold
> in the first half, I had made a three on the shot
> before that, so I had my confidence back and it
> felt good when I shot it.”
>
> Nice’s good feeling translated into euphoria for
> Lake Braddock, as he drained the three-pointer to
> lift the No. 19 Bruins to a 59-58 win over the
> Cavaliers. The victory gives Lake Braddock control
> of first place in the Virginia Conference 7
> standings with three games remaining.
>
> Tuesday’s game was held at South County as W.T.
> Woodson’s gym undergoes repair for a burst pipe,
> making it a road game for both teams, who appeared
> uncomfortable at the outset.
>
> The Bruins’ zone defense kept the Cavaliers out
> of the paint and reliant on jump shots, while Lake
> Braddock (15-3, 8-1 in Conference 7) struggled to
> finish at the rim despite its size advantage.
>
> That changed early in the second period, when Will
> Gregorits (19 points) threw down a dunk, sparking
> a run along with forward Reagan Jones to outscore
> Woodson 17-9 in the second quarter and move the
> Bruins ahead by six at halftime.
>
> “Our rebounding and play inside was big with
> Will and Reagan,” said Nice, who finished with
> 12 points. “We started getting a lot more
> opportunities when they got going.”
>
> Lake Braddock extended its lead to 10 points
> before the Cavaliers (12-6, 6-2) surged back
> behind guards Eric Bowles and Matt Ayoub. While
> Bowles (23 points) used his quickness to slice
> through Lake Braddock’s zone defense and score
> on tough layups, Ayoub got hot from the outside,
> draining five three-pointers to put Woodson up by
> two with less than six minutes to play.
>
> With the Bruins jockeying to regain control, Nice
> drained his first three of the night followed by
> two free throws, pushing Lake Braddock back ahead
> and, more importantly, setting the stage for the
> game winner.
>
> The teams traded baskets until Woodson missed the
> front end of a one-and-one opportunity at the foul
> line. With two plays previously drawn up by Bruins
> Coach Brian Metress at their disposal, Nice’s
> number was called and the senior delivered with
> his third field goal in the final two minutes.
>
> “I give our guys credit for executing the right
> play and to John for making a tough shot,”
> Metress said. “This is a big win against a great
> team and it gives us confidence where we can kind
> of control our own destiny during these next two
> weeks going into the playoffs.”

Metress is a GREAT coach!

Date: February 05, 2014 04:59PM

Lake Braddock has really put their name forward with this win last night. I'd say its an even money race between the Bruins and Herndon for region champion now.

Posted by: playoffs? ()
Date: February 05, 2014 06:36PM

So someone explain to this Fairfax newbie here, does every single team get to participate in its conference tournament, or just a few?

Posted by: highlandmike ()
Date: February 05, 2014 08:24PM

Actually there are 48 desperate conferences around the state, and each one of them has a different process for selecting and seeding teams... so you have to go look up what your specific conference has chosen to do.

Posted by: meadow hill fan ()
Date: February 06, 2014 10:35AM

wardscorner Wrote:
> Lake Braddock has really put their name forward
> with this win last night. I'd say its an even
> money race between the Bruins and Herndon for
> region champion now.

+1

Date: February 06, 2014 11:19AM

Final score: Edison 64, Yorktown 61

Date: February 06, 2014 12:35PM

Here are a couple of the games on tap tonight:

South Lakes is at Hayfield at 7:30 p.m.
Stone Bridge is at Freedom at 7:45 p.m.
Tuscarora is at Potomac Falls at 7:30 p.m.

Posted by: gohawksgo ()
Date: February 06, 2014 02:04PM

Can Hayfield pull off a surprise win? If they do they are co-leaders in the conference. if they don't, then south lakes pretty much runs away with everything and leaves us all in shit. right?

Posted by: what hawks ()
Date: February 06, 2014 03:40PM

doesn't matter. that chubbybeagle guy is right. south lakes or hayfield have no chance against conference 5 or 7 when it matters, so why bother playing.

Posted by: hawkssingit ()
Date: February 06, 2014 05:46PM

Don't count games before they're played. Anything can and does happen.

Date: February 06, 2014 11:42PM

Tonight's scores:

Stuart defeats Mount Vernon 59-58. WOW!
Hayfield defeats South Lakes 70-61. Makes things interesting.
Stone Bridge defeats Freedom 65-46. Of course.

Posted by: Deb Kolt ()
Date: February 07, 2014 08:32AM

PATRIOTS COME CLOSE, BUT LOSING STREAK CONTINUES
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

They continue to come close, yet the Yorktown Patriots’ frustrating losing streak got longer last night, this time with an overtime home loss.

Yorktown (7-13) fell to the Edison Eagles, 64-61, in overtime for its ninth straight loss in boys high school basketball action. The overtime setback was Yorktown’s second during the slide.

Against Edison, the Patriots shot well early and led, 18-11, at the end of the first quarter and were ahead at halftime. In overtime Edison outscored Yorktown, 8-5.

Zack Esherick led Yorktown with 18 points, including four three-pointers. William Roebuck scored 16 and made three three-pointers to go with two steals, point guard Jeremiah Leano had 12 points and three assists and Jordon Gahima had nine points and 10 rebounds.

During the losing streak, Yorktown has lost games by three,  four, seven and eight points, in addition to the overtime losses.

The Patriots try to snap the streak when they play the host Washington-Lee Generals (7-13) on Friday night at 7:45 p.m.

Yorktown fell to McLean, 44-41, on Feb. 4 the night before facing Edison.

Posted by: meanwhile ()
Date: February 07, 2014 08:34AM

Meanwhile, the red-hot Wakefield Warriors (15-4) attempt to up their win streak to six Friday night at 7:30 p.m. when they host the Marshall Statesmen (8-11).

Wakefield routed the host Falls Church Jaguars, 79-55, on Feb. 4 and blew out host Lee, 99-48, Jan. 31.

During its winning streak, Wakefield’s average margin of victory has been by 28 points.

In the win over Falls Church, Wakefield’s Re’Quan Hopson had 22 points, Jalen Carver scored 20, Marqua Walton had 12 and made two three-pointers, and J.P. DeFranco scored 10 and made three three-pointers.

Against Lee, Dominique Tham led Wakefield with 20 points, Deng Nhial scored 18, Walton made four three-pointers to finish with 17, Hopson scored 11 and Jordan Allen nine (two three-pointers).

Date: February 07, 2014 05:17PM

If you have already watched the Olympic opening ceremonies, there is a full slate of basketball to be played tonight around the area:

Broad Run (14-2) is at Briar Woods (11-6) in Ashburn at 7:00 p.m. Broad Run should take care of business.

Thomas A. Edison (17-2) is at Thomas Jefferson (2-16) in Alexandria at 7:30 p.m. Does TJ get its first conference win?

Falls Church (8-11) is at Robert E. Lee (5-14) in Springfield at 7:30 p.m. Can't pick against my alma mater.

Freedom at Champe at 7:15. Why bother?

Herndon (15-3) is at Centreville (1-19) in Clifton at 7:30 p.m. A no-brainer.

James Madison (6-13) is at Langley (8-11) in McLean at 5:45 p.m. I think it's an even match, you decide.

George C. Marshall (6-11) is at Wakefield (15-4) in Arlington at 7:30 p.m. Should be easy for the home team.

McLean (6-13) is at Fairfax (9-10) in Fairfax at 7:30 p.m. Do we know if good Fairfax or bad Fairfax is going to show up?

Oakton (12-7) is at Chantilly (9-10) in Chantilly at 8:00 p.m. This should be a fun ball game.

T.C. Williams (2-15) is at South County (11-8) in Lorton at 7:30 p.m. SoCo needs a simple game to get back in stride.

West Potomac (6-9) is at W.T. Woodson (13-6) in Fairfax at 7:30 p.m. WestPo could make it close if they aren't tripping over each other.

West Springfield (10-7) is at Lake Braddock (15-3) in Burke at 7:30 p.m. The Bruins have shown they are completely capable, but this neighborhood rivalry usually gets interesting.

Westfield (8-12) is at James Robinson (16-4) in Fairfax at 7:30 p.m. Rams should be in control.

Yorktown (7-13) is at Washington-Lee (7-12) in Arlington at 7:30 p.m. These cross-town rivals don't care about standings, it's about pride.

Posted by: JT ()
Date: February 07, 2014 06:52PM

Edison finally gets its due and collapses in flames tonight what a pretend team

Date: February 07, 2014 11:42PM

Here are some of tonight's finals:

Edison over Jefferson 69-47
Falls Church over Lee 53-46
Champe over Freedom 69-54
Madison over Langley 40-37
Wakefield over Marshall 70-56
McLean over Fairfax 56-54
Chantilly over Oakton 58-48
Woodson over West Potomac 63-60
Lake Braddock over West Springfield 60-50
Yorktown over Washington-Lee 57-49

Date: February 07, 2014 11:44PM

Broad Run over Briar Woods 72-59

Posted by: CJtoo ()
Date: February 08, 2014 08:34AM

Good for McLean!

Posted by: ArykAryk ()
Date: February 08, 2014 10:07AM

West Potomac is better than you think so don't count us out yet

Posted by: Allen Kha ()
Date: February 08, 2014 11:41AM

YORKTOWN HALTS NINE GAME SKID BY DEFEATING W-L

During Yorktown’s nine-game losing streak, not much went right for the Patriots.

“We weren’t making shots, not making free throws, not doing enough of the things that add up to wins,” said Yorktown coach Rich Avila, whose team snapped that skid with a 57-49 overtime win against the host Washington-Lee Generals on Feb. 7 in boys high school basketball action. “Our team was shooting free throws at around a 50-percent clip. We had to improve.”

Fitting then that Yorktown secured its first victory in a month by doing all of the little things: starting with improved spacing on offense and finishing at the charity stripe. After battling to a draw in regulation, Yorktown (8-13) scored all nine of its points in overtime via free throws to squeak past rival Washington-Lee (7-14).

Yorktown’s victory was its first victory since a 60-52 win over the Generals on Jan. 10.

“With all the losing, we certainly weren’t as confident as a team as we should be. That’s what we gained tonight, confidence,” Yorktown senior guard Zack Esherick said. “The game’s a rivalry, so we’re obviously a little more hyped. But we made shots. That’s what changed. Our last game against Edison, we took them to overtime. We’ve known we can play, but needed to get that last bit of confidence and finish.”
Washington-Lee opened the game jumping to an early 7-2 on baskets by seniors Sam Patecell and Jonah Sens. That lead was the largest W-L had. 

As Yorktown settled into the game, Esherick and Will Roebuck found their strokes from three-point range. The pair – recipients of a methodical offense that dished 11 assists – helped the Patriots take the lead midway through the second quarter, and enter halftime with a 25-23 lead.

“We started making those perimeter shots, which got us in the game,” Esherick said. “Then when [Washington-Lee] started closing me out, my teammates stepped up, made passes, and started to make their shots. Will [Roebuck] made a bunch of threes that kept us in the game.” 

Washington-Lee, meanwhile, struggled to find its offensive rhythm after an upstart first quarter. Sens, the Generals’ first scoring option, struggled to adjust to the visitor’s defensive schemes and finished 2 of 9 from the field.

Yorktown sagged from the perimeter to cover Sens, either preventing the hosts from getting the ball into their best scorer or forcing Sens to take difficult, low-percentage shots. Patecell picked up most of the scoring load, but not enough to nudge Yorktown off its groove.

Yorktown extended its lead to as much as 46-41 midway through the fourth quarter before Washington-Lee battled back. Sophomore guard Gene Jones and freshman guard Halil Parks sparked one final push from the Generals on defense, notching a few steals and coast-to-coast layups when Yorktown failed to handle Washington-Lee’s 1-2-2 full-court press.

The teams traded points in the final few minutes of regulation, and ended the fourth quarter tied at 48.
Overtime was not as kind to Washington-Lee. Patecell fouled Esherick as he attempted a three-pointer early in the period and he made all three free throw. From there, Yorktown never looked back.

Esherick led all scorers with 21 points, and fell one rebound short of a double-double. He added four steals. Roebuck added 11 points for Yorktown, four assists and four rebounds. Also, Jeremiah Leano had 11 points and four assists and Edmund Pendleton scored nine.

Patecell led Washington-Lee with 14 points, while Sens managed added 10 and Jones nine.

Posted by: Statesmen Squandered ()
Date: February 08, 2014 01:08PM

Marshall is a big disappointment this year at 6-12 despite most of last year's squad back. Is this Dan Hale's last season?

Date: February 08, 2014 02:34PM

WAKEFIELD STAYS HOT WITH SIXTH STRAIGHT VICTORY

In a late-season Capitol Conference 13 contest, the standings didn’t change as the host Wakefield Warriors remained tied for first place with a 5-0 record thanks to a 70-56 victory over the Marshall Statesmen Feb 7.

The upset-minded Statesmen (8-12) remained in the middle of the pack with a 2-3 conference mark.
Wakefield (16-4), which has won six straight games, never trailed in the high school game, leading 26-15 at the end of the first quarter and 41-22 at halftime.

“Our team defense was good tonight, and I think our defensive pressure got to them,” Wakefield coach Tony Bentley said. “We worked hard on defense and we talked on defense. We did a good job closing out what they wanted to do with the ball. We were able to do what Wakefield likes to do.”

Marshall coach Dan Hale was impressed with Wakefield and knew his young team faced a tall order against the Warriors.

“They are so solid. That’s a team you don’t want to fall behind and have to play catchup like we,” Hale said. “They are very good. But we battled and didn’t give up, and we had a few good moments.”

Marshall did not shoot well from the floor (32 percent) and the Warriors did shoot well (52 percent).
Wakefield was led by Re’Quan Hopson’s double-double with 16 points and 11 rebounds. Also for Wakefield, guard Jalen Carver made a trio of three-pointers and had 19 points; guard Marqua Walton had eight points, seven rebounds and three assists; center Dominique Tham had seven points, five rebounds and three blocks before fouling out; and point guard Kyle Davis had eight points and four steals.

Off Wakefield’s bench, J.P. DeFranco had five points and Xavier Cooper had three points and four rebounds.

Hale believes Wakefield might be the best team in the conference come tournament time. Wakefield or the Edison Eagles (5-0) will be the top two seeds. That will be determined when the teams play at Wakefield on Feb. 11. 

“Wakefield has everything,” Hale said. “They don’t rely on one thing or one person. That makes a team like that dangerous and able to advance in in the postseason.”

For Marshall against Wakefield, Hale’s son Towner Hale had 22 points, 10 rebounds and two steals and Christian Cameron had 10 points and five rebounds. Also, Riley Cummins had five points, six rebounds, three assists and two steals off the bench and substitute Jelani Murray had six points

Both teams have two regular-season games remaining before the conference tournament.

“We’ll probably be in the middle of the pack, but the third seed is still possible,” Hale said. “That’s what we’re playing for. We’re young, but we’re getting better.”

Marshall lost to Edison in triple overtime a couple of weeks ago.

NOTES: Since moving into its new school to start this school year, Wakefield is undefeated in regular-season play in its new gym . . . The game against Marshall was the annual boys alumni game at Wakefield. Players from as far back as the 1950s were on hand.

Date: February 08, 2014 04:25PM

the Marshall coach stays, I think, though I never like having family members in a coach/player situation, it just gets awkward for everyone involved at the school. "What happens when you fire my dad?"

Posted by: hedgehog ()
Date: February 08, 2014 06:07PM

Broad Run travelled out to play in West Virginia this afternoon.

Posted by: wait wait for me ()
Date: February 08, 2014 07:36PM

Marshall is playing better, not worse. Why would you fire the coach when the team is just starting to turn itself around (even if it is just a tiny bit, and yeah, the record stinks)

Posted by: NR Insider ()
Date: February 09, 2014 09:48AM

Statesmen Squandered Wrote:
> Marshall is a big disappointment this year at 6-12
> despite most of last year's squad back. Is this
> Dan Hale's last season?

Coach Hale runs the best program at Marshall. He led the school to their first deistrict championship in school history last year. The team lost 3 of their top 4 scorers from last year, so ofcourse their record is going to suffer.

Posted by: Hey Nat4lee - Re: 6A Bracket ()
Date: February 09, 2014 02:02PM

Conference 6 DOES NOT play Conference 8.

Conference 5 plays Conference 8.

nat4lee Wrote:
> Here is a really great graphic of the 6A North
> regional bracket! Great explanation.

Date: February 09, 2014 03:26PM

Hey Nat4lee - Re: 6A Bracket Wrote:
> Conference 6 DOES NOT play Conference 8.
>
> Conference 5 plays Conference 8.
>

I just posted the pic I got from a school friend, looks legit to me. If you can post where the correct information is sourced from, I'm sure all the casual fans on this site, including myself, would be grateful.

Posted by: The Kicker ()
Date: February 09, 2014 10:45PM

By the way, Hale's son Towner is Marshall's best player. I don't think it's even close.

Posted by: Warrior97 ()
Date: February 11, 2014 10:49PM

Wakefield 75, Edison 68
Attachments:
Wakefield_vs_Edison2014.jpg

Current Capitol Standings
Posted by: CapitolConference ()
Date: February 14, 2014 03:30PM

Results from Tuesday's games:

Wakefield 75, Edison 68
Marshall 66, Lee 52
Jefferson 57, Mt. Vernon 53
Falls Church 70, Stuart 69

Here are the standings as they currently look in the Capitol Conference:

Wakefield (6-0) hosts Mt. Vernon - locked up #1 Seed
Edison (5-1) hosts Lee - locked up #2 Seed
Marshall (3-3) hosts Falls Church - winner will finish 3rd
Falls Church (3-3) visits Marshall
Lee (3-3) visits Edison
Mt. Vernon (2-4) visits Wakefield
Stuart (1-5) visits Jefferson - winner can finish 6th if MV loses
Jefferson (1-5) hosts Stuart

Posted by: Deb Kolt ()
Date: February 16, 2014 11:52PM

from Tuesday, February 11th...

WAKEFIELD HOSTS EDISON IN SHOWDOWN FOR TOP SEED

First place in the Capitol Conference 13 standings is on the line tonight when the Wakefield Warriors (16-4, 5-0) host the Edison Eagles (18-2, 5-0) in a boys high school basketball game at 7:30 p.m.

The winner will earn the top seed in the upcoming conference tournament not matter what the results of their final regular-season games on Feb. 14. 

The top seed hosts conference games throughout the tournament.

Edison defeated Wakefield, 72-59, earlier in the regular season at Edison, but that game did not count in the conference standings.

Wakefield and Edison have each won six games in a row.

“They will have everyone healthy and ready to go, you know that,” Wakefield coach Tony Bentley said.
Edison players have missed the last couple of games with injuries.

Posted by: Allen Kha ()
Date: February 16, 2014 11:59PM

from Wednesday the 12th...

JUNIOR CENTER POWERS HOST WAKEFIELD PAST EDISON
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

One quarter into last night’s matchup against the Edison Eagles, host Wakefield was struggling to find its footing against the visiting team’s dynamic backcourt. 

The Warriors, who eventually won 75-68 in a boys high school basketball showdown for first place in the Capitol Conference 13, had an opportunity to avenge their loss earlier in the season against Edison.

That all changed in the second quarter for Wakefield (17-4, 6-0)  when junior forward Dominique Tham, who finished with 23 points, 18 rebounds, four blocks, and four assists, literally took charge of the game. After providing the bulk of the points to help rally his team, Tham threw down a monstrous dunk in transition late in the quarter that sparked a run to end the first half. 

The Warriors punctuated that final run with a three-point shot from senior guard J.P. DeFranco at the buzzer to claim its first lead of the game, and never looked back en route to the victory. 

The victory, Wakefield’s seventh in a row, clinched the conference regular season title for Wakefield and the top seed and home court advantage throughout the upcoming conference tournament. Edison (18-3, 5-1) will be the No. 2 seed. 

“That was a real big momentum swing for us,” Tham said. “We did all the things to get back in the game, and that play was huge getting us the lead.” 

Wakefield continued to play on its own terms in the second half as it extended its 33-32 halftime lead with a 25-19 third quarter. A stagnant Edison half-court offense struggled to figure out Wakefield’s defense in the second half, often settling for low-percentage shots or perimeter shots, while the Warriors scored with relative ease. 

While Wakefield shot 48 percent from the floor, the Eagles shot 37 percent, and an even-worse 12 percent from three-point range. With Tham controlling the boards, Edison didn’t receive many second-chance opportunities. 

“We played better defense this time,” Tham said. “We forced them out of the middle and onto the outside for shots they didn’t want to take. We wanted to close off the paint, because that’s where they are most comfortable.” 

Edison also tried to push the tempo offensively. Most of its 36 points in the second half came in transition. 

“We left [Dominique Tham on an island in the first quarter,” Wakefield coach Tony Bentley said. “He was going one-against-five out there, and we needed to respond by having everyone else move around, motion, effectively to get [Tham] the ball. We started doing that in the second quarter. We started to play our inside-out game, which is what we do. And executed on defense against one of the better backcourts in the region.” 

In addition to Tham, Re’Quan Hopson had 19 points for Wakefield, Marqua Walton had points, including a trio of three-pointers, Jalen Carver scored eight and Kyle Davis six. 

Bentley noted that Wakefield’s recent form has his team well-positioned for a potential postseason run like last season’s, when the Warriors played in the Northern Region championship game. 

“We’re not looking past our next game against Mount Vernon. That’s the next peg we are looking at,” Bentley said. “But something to note is that our last five games before tonight, we’ve dominated our opponents. The margin-of-victory has been around 15-plus points, and that’s what you want to be doing at this time of year. That allowed us to be confident for this game, compared to how Edison was winning like we were, but all in close games.” 

Edison senior guard Marcus Brumsey led all scorers with 24 points, while junior guard Tyvez Monroe added 15 points for the visitors. 

The Wakefield vs. Mount Vernon game was originally scheduled for Thursday night has been moved up to be played tonight at Wakefield at 7:30 p.m.

Posted by: Deb Kolr ()
Date: February 17, 2014 12:03AM

WAKEFIELD PLAYERS READ WITH ELEMENTARY STUDENTS

The Wakefield High School boys basketball team invited young students from the Claremont Immersion Elementary School to its home game Feb. 7 against the Marshall Statesmen. 

The elementary students and the Wakefield players are participants in a program called Readers Are Leaders.

The program provides the vehicle for the Wakefield players to become mentors and role models, offering their friendship, patience, encouragement, and enthusiasm to improve the reading skills of their reading buddies from Claremont. 

The Claremont students attending the game were Tessa Ecarma, Sophia Araya, Raeka Agostini-Quest, Charlotte Oif, Leila Gomez, Zanden Kelly, Giancarlo Marte-Pena, Andrew Parry, Logan Hayes, Miles Martin, Andrew Middleton, Tayt Korejwo, Jaelyn Jackson, Ewan Atkinson, Kevin Castro, Henry Becker, Ryan Campos, Hannah Moreno, Jillian Reck and Yannine Tapia-Salas.

Posted by: Conference 15 ()
Date: February 17, 2014 12:05AM

CONFERENCE 15 TOURNAMENT
BOYS
Tuesday, Feb. 11
First round
No. 4 Massaponax 53, No. 5 Brooke Point 51
No. 6 North Stafford 51, No. 3 Freedom 50
Tuesday, Feb. 18
Semifinals at Freedom
Massaponax vs. No. 1 Potomac, 5:30 p.m.
North Stafford vs. No. 2 Mountain View, 7:30 p.m.
Thursday, Feb. 20
Final at Freedom, 7:30 p.m.

Date: February 17, 2014 12:10AM

A NEAR TRIPLE DOUBLE
-----------------------------------

What a performance, yet the game didn’t start so well for Dominique Tham.

The Wakefield High School junior center missed his first shot from the floor and his first two free throws en route to what wound up as a near triple-double effort in the Warriors’ 70-48 home victory over the Mount Vernon Majors in a boys high school basketball game last night.

Tham wound up scoring 31 points to go with 23 rebounds and eight blocked shots. The 31 points were a career high for the 6-foot-4 player, nicknamed “the human block party.”

Tham did all of that despite missing the final 5:29 minutes of the third quarter with a slight injury.
With its eighth win in a row, Wakefield improved to 18-4, finished 10-1 in National District regular-season action and 7-0 in Capitol Conference 13 play. The Warriors are the top seed in this coming week’s conference tournament. 

“This was a game we wanted our guys to get out and get running a lot because we had been off for a few days because of the snow,” Wakefield coach Tony Bentley said. “But we never expected he [Tham] would do all of that.”

Tham already had a double-double at halftime with 16 points and was relentless on both ends of the boards with 13 rebounds.

For the game, Tham also had one steal, took one charge, had one assist, two three-point plays, was 13 of 18 shooting from the floor, 5 of 8 from the foul line, and had six offensive rebounds.

Senior forward Re’Quan Hopson also had a double-double for Wakefield with 12 points and 10 rebounds to go with three assists and a block.

“Re’Quan had a good game and has been playing well for us lately,” Bentley said. 

Also, junior guard Marqua Walton made four three-pointers and scored 12 points for Wakefield, senior guard J.P. DeFranco (two three-pointers) had eight points, senior guard Kyle Davis had six assists, and junior forward Xavier Cooper had four points and for rebounds off the bench.

Mount Vernon led early in the game, as the Warriors shot poorly to start, hitting just two of their first 12 shots. Wakefield then took control with a 12-0 run in the second period and led the rest of the way.

Posted by: Conference 8 Tournament ()
Date: February 17, 2014 12:25AM

CONFERENCE 8 TOURNAMENT
BOYS
Monday, Feb. 17
First round
Patriot at Osbourn Park, 6:30 p.m.
Tuesday, Feb. 18
Semifinals
Patriot/OP winner at No. 1 Battlefield, 7:30 p.m.
No. 3 Stonewall Jackson at No. 2 Osbourn, 6:30 p.m.
Final
Thursday, Feb. 20 at highest seed

Date: February 17, 2014 03:25AM

found this while surfing around, even though this conference is further south of fairfax...
Attachments:
Conf15Brack-20.png

Posted by: hoopfun ()
Date: February 17, 2014 08:07AM

So simply put, this whole VHSL change is simply just a really large clusterf***. I just read an article that teams have no idea if they go to tournaments because of complicated formulas that coaches can't do math. And then every conference has their own rules which they don't tell anyone. Yep, real good job.

Posted by: deeprunner ()
Date: February 17, 2014 09:48AM

Is this the situation you are thinking about? I for one was completely shocked to see it happening like this.

When it comes to conference standings, teams are sometimes in the dark
Differing formulas will determine tourney seedings

Posted: Tuesday, February 11, 2014 12:08 am | Updated: 12:12 pm, Wed Feb 12, 2014.
BY ERIC KOLENICH
Richmond Times-Dispatch

In previous years, Henrico boys basketball coach Vance Harmon would post the Capital District standings on the dry erase board in the team room. Every day, his players knew exactly where they stood and how close they were to the competition.

But since the Virginia High School League’s realignment in August, area basketball teams are somewhat in the dark in regard to where they stand in their conferences.

When the regular season ends on Saturday, area basketball teams will prepare for their conference tournaments, not a district tournament as in years past. Conferences lines are drawn by enrollment. Districts were formed by geography.

And since some conference opponents never face each other in the regular season, a simple win-loss record can’t be used to determine conference seeding. Instead, a power rating is calculated, similar to the one used to seed football teams.

Because of the complexity of the power rating, Harmon no longer posts standings on the board. He and his staff calculate the rating for every team in the conference, but it’s far from official.

“It (used to be) easy to figure out where you were,” Harmon said. “Now you’ve got to be somewhat of a math scholar to figure it out.”

For Henrico and the rest of Conference 11, here’s the path to the playoffs: For each win against a VHSL opponent, a team earns seven points. If a team loses to an opponent from a higher classification, the loser is awarded bonus points. Add up all the points, divide by the number of games played, and that’s the team’s power rating.

When Harmon and his staff did the math over the weekend, they calculated that Henrico is tied with Highland Springs with a rating of 5.35. But not until the official ratings were circulated Monday morning did they know for sure.

In football, the VHSL calculates and announces the power rating of every team in the state at the beginning of each week. But in every other sport, that task is left to the athletic directors. In Conference 11, the task goes to Hermitage AD Chris Rollison.

After recording scores from the Internet and asking for team records from other ADs, he sat down with a pen, paper and calculator to figure out the conference standings. The first time he hammered out each team’s power rating, in mid-January, it took him 90 minutes.

Because figuring the power ratings of eight boys teams and eight girls teams is no easy task, Rollison can’t produce updated standings every day. At the same time, some coaches feel uneasy about not always knowing where they fit into their conference standing.

“Coaches should know this stuff,” Henrico assistant Chris Brown said.

Further complicating the issue is that other conferences in the area don’t use the same rules as Conference 11. The VHSL mandates that every conference conduct a postseason tournament and that every team in the conference participate. But how those teams are seeded is up to the individual conferences.

“There’s not a uniform policy throughout the state,” Rollison said.

So conferences have adopted different rules. Conference 12 uses the winning percentage in conference games to determine its seeds. Conference 20 uses the VHSL power rating, but includes out-of-state games in its calculation, unlike Conference 11.

Not every coach in the area will fret about power ratings and where each team fits into the standings, Brown said. Some will take a much simpler approach: wait until the season ends and go where you’re told to go.

Posted by: CJ ()
Date: February 17, 2014 11:39AM

Lqngley and Yorktown play tonight before the tournaments start tomorrow.

Posted by: Wakefield Sux ()
Date: February 17, 2014 12:23PM

Deb Kolr Wrote:
> WAKEFIELD PLAYERS READ WITH ELEMENTARY STUDENTS
> --------------------------------------------------
> ------------------------
>
> The Wakefield High School boys basketball team
> invited young students from the Claremont
> Immersion Elementary School to its home game Feb.
> 7 against the Marshall Statesmen. 
>
> The elementary students and the Wakefield players
> are participants in a program called Readers Are
> Leaders.
>
> The program provides the vehicle for the Wakefield
> players to become mentors and role models,
> offering their friendship, patience,
> encouragement, and enthusiasm to improve the
> reading skills of their reading buddies from
> Claremont. 
>
> The Claremont students attending the game were
> Tessa Ecarma, Sophia Araya, Raeka Agostini-Quest,
> Charlotte Oif, Leila Gomez, Zanden Kelly,
> Giancarlo Marte-Pena, Andrew Parry, Logan Hayes,
> Miles Martin, Andrew Middleton, Tayt Korejwo,
> Jaelyn Jackson, Ewan Atkinson, Kevin Castro, Henry
> Becker, Ryan Campos, Hannah Moreno, Jillian Reck
> and Yannine Tapia-Salas.

It's great to know that bright elementary school students are lending a hand to help teach the Wakefield basketball players how to read. After seeing them give away a huge lead to Woodson in regionals last year in a matter of minutes, perhaps they'll also learn how to tell time soon, too.

Date: February 17, 2014 12:55PM

Thanks for the idea wardscorner. Here is the playoff bracket for the Capitol Conference 13 and I'm going to steal that nice design. Should be fun games!
Attachments:
Conf13Brack-20.png

Date: February 17, 2014 01:35PM

Here is a playoff bracket for the Patriot Conference 7 tournament about to get underway tomorrow night.
Attachments:
Conf7Brack-20.png

Date: February 17, 2014 01:36PM

Bracket -- Conference 7

Posted by: Mr confused ()
Date: February 17, 2014 03:09PM

I've traveled around the country a little I like to think. Forgive me for being a new transplant to Virginia, but It's my impression that this is the strangest and most erratic playoff system I've seen. You have all these teams all doing different things under different qualifications, a state title to these teams would be sort of like comparing apples and oranges.

Posted by: Hubie ()
Date: February 17, 2014 04:30PM

Does anyone know if they are going to rank the 16 teams going to the 6A Regional by power ranking like football or does 5 play 7 and 6 play 8?? The VHSL site is zero help..

Posted by: the vhsl are idiots ()
Date: February 17, 2014 06:11PM

From what I don't understand when I'm reading (which is a lot), each of the 48 conferences all around the state has voted on their own unique procedures to send their top teams to the regional playoffs after the conference playoffs. So, you have to somehow magically find each conference's rules... yea, sure... good luck with that...

Posted by: leakyflashman ()
Date: February 17, 2014 07:39PM

I heard there is a new high school opening up in Loudoun County. Rock Ridge I think that's the name of it. Does anyone have any experience coaching that county or are friends with anyone coaching
basketball up there? How is the administration support, fan support, parent support? I know its a northern va, but is it hard to coach up there? How is the basketball talent overall? I have a friend that may be interested in applying so I thought I would find out some info for him.

Thanks

Posted by: cutnjump ()
Date: February 17, 2014 09:04PM

In my opinion, a lot of the confusion could have been eliminated if the VHSL had given more basic parameters that all districts and regions would follow, however, the VHSL just assumed it would work as easily as football while ignoring the fact that the points system in football, while tweaked this year, had functioned for years and was administered at the state level.  Doing the same thing in other sports is a significantly greater undertaking due to the volume and irregularity of game dates.  The spring sports will be even more difficult due to an even greater number of sports.

Posted by: final score ()
Date: February 17, 2014 11:16PM

Potomac Falls defeated Stone Bridge tonight 76-65.

Posted by: snow snow snow ()
Date: February 18, 2014 07:28AM

The snow around the area has been wreaking havoc on the schedule for games. Go away snow.

Date: February 18, 2014 07:45AM

So the fact is that the VHSL has to wait until the District tournaments all get finished before they rank the 16 teams in each Region. What is the turn around for them to get that done? The deadline for the Regionals to be over is March 4th.

Date: February 18, 2014 07:51AM

Another final score from last night: Langley beat Yorktown 46-43.

Posted by: Jason Butt ()
Date: February 18, 2014 07:56AM

BROAD RUN BOYS ARE WELL RESTED FOR CONFERENCE 14 TOURNAMENT

With last week’s snowstorm bumping last week’s games, Broad Run’s boys’ basketball team caught a break.

The Spartans were able to get their final regular-season game in last Wednesday — a 65-58 win over Freedom-South Riding — just before the storm hit. That gives them more than a full week of rest heading into the Conference 14 playoffs, which begin Thursday. Broad Run (17-3, 8-2) earned the top seed, and with it, a bye into the semifinals and a guaranteed spot in the 5A North region tournament.

“The guys did what they had to do to get it done,” Broad Run Coach John Costello said. “I’m proud of them because everyone was coming at us after starting 6-0 [in conference play]. Then we had a dart on our back. We were able to maintain and hold the lead. It was a big tribute for the guys. I think they’re ready for the next step.”

The two finalists from the Conference 14 tournament advance to the region, along with the winner of the consolation game.

The week off for Broad Run couldn’t come at a better time. A back injury has limited forward Travis Fulgham recently but he’s expected to be back at full strength after sitting out two of the past three games. Fulgham, a high-flier above the rim, is averaging 17.4 points per game for the Spartans.

“Defensively what he adds is a big thing, too,” Costello said. “He’s a defender that not many people can handle.”

While Broad Run’s position in the tournament is set, seeds two through four still have to work themselves out. Tuscarora (15-6, 6-3) will hoost Briar Woods (11-9, 3-6) on Tuesday and Stone Bridge (11-10, 6-3) will take on Potomac Falls Monday afternoon.

Posted by: yo rube ()
Date: February 18, 2014 02:03PM

Yo there's playoff games tonight, why ain't we talkin bout that?

Date: February 18, 2014 02:15PM

6A District 5 Semi Finals

Westfield at Herndon ( Herndon will back that little gym! )

Oakton at Robinson

Date: February 18, 2014 02:36PM

I heard somewhere that the Edison boys are actually playing down in Mount Vernon tonight, does anyone know if that is true or just a rumor?

Date: February 18, 2014 04:30PM

Here are some games on tap for tonight. The playoffs are underway around the area.

In the Conference 5 Tournament quarterfinals:

Oakton plays at James Robinson at 7:00 p.m.
Westfield plays at Herndon at 7:00 p.m.

In the Conference 7 Tournament quarterfinals:

South County plays at West Springfield at 7:30 p.m.
T.C. Williams plays at W.T. Woodson at 7:30 p.m.
West Potomac plays at Annandale at 7:30 p.m.

In the Conference 13 Tournament quarterfinals:

Thomas A. Edison plays at Mount Vernon at 7:30 p.m.
Thomas Jefferson plays at Wakefield at 7:30 p.m.
Robert E. Lee plays at George C. Marshall at 7:00 p.m.
J.E.B. Stuart plays at Falls Church at 7:00 p.m.

In the Conference 15 Tournament semifinals:

Massaponax plays at Potomac at 7:00 p.m.
North Stafford plays at Mountain View at 5:00 p.m.

Posted by: Roger ()
Date: February 18, 2014 06:10PM

Potomac is just going to crush everyone in 5A, so why bother? 6A will be much more interesting... on my way to watch Herndon right now.

Posted by: Lake Braddock fan ()
Date: February 18, 2014 10:40PM

South county 50 west springfield 38

Date: February 18, 2014 10:45PM

Woodson 80 TC williams 52

Date: February 18, 2014 10:53PM

West Potomac 76 Annandale 66 in OT a couple on the road upset wins for West Pot and SOCO tomorrow soco at Lake Braddock 6pm followed by West Pot vs Woodson at LB 8pm

Date: February 18, 2014 11:22PM

Some scores I heard tonight:

Marshall wins over Lee 60-53
Robinson wins over Oakton 58-55
Stuart wins over Falls Church 53-46
Herndon wins over Westfield 66-46

Date: February 19, 2014 09:16AM

After watching Herndon play 5 times this season it appears they are the favorite going into the Regional Tournament. In the Conference 5 Title game coming up I feel Robinson will have to hit 15 three pointers just to make it interesting. Robinson is a solid team and well coached but can't handle the athletes that Herndon can put on the floor and they are 12 deep. Thomas should be the player of the year and with the new recruit Alston lighting it up, they will be a tough matchup for anyone in the 6A North.

Posted by: Not Thomas Edison ()
Date: February 19, 2014 11:13AM

Edison lost to Mt. Vernon - their season is finished

Posted by: cafetwinv ()
Date: February 23, 2014 08:06AM

Sure, Let's do two topics but the girls atheletics is as important as boys.

In fact, as we can see from the Winter Olympics that the girls in USA team have won a significant number of medals for the USA team than most other nations.

This says that girls atheletics is important for community health as eventually interest in atheletics for mothers of the future of a community leads to healhier children.

Makes sense ?

CafetwinV

Posted by: cafetwinv ()
Date: February 23, 2014 08:08AM

Sure let's do both. But as Winter Olympics results shows, women atheletes in the USA Team have won significant numbers of medals than most other nations.

Tha'ts an insight !

Yea ?

Posted by: conf 6 finals ()
Date: February 23, 2014 12:27PM

Great game last night at Fairfax HS to decide the conference 6 champ. Kamga drove the lane to score the winning basked with 3.9 secs left to give South Lakes the win over Hayfield 60-59.

Posted by: Basketball ()
Date: February 25, 2014 01:42PM

Woodson and lake Braddock district final was a phenomenal game, Woodson lost by one as Bowles missed a buzzer beater. Don't count Woodson out of the region just yet.

Posted by: Chubbybeagle ()
Date: February 26, 2014 10:13AM

Let it be known that old Chubbybeagle had the 6A North pretty much pegged spot on. I said best four in region were Herndon, Lake Braddock, Robinson and Woodson, and except for a completely cold 4th quarter last night by Robinson it would have fully panned out.

Nevertheless, Friday night will see two good regional semifinal games with Herndon and Lake Braddock the favorites.

Can't comment on 5A as I haven't seen many of the teams still playing.

Posted by: LB Fan ()
Date: February 26, 2014 11:24AM

cafetwinv Wrote:
> Sure, Let's do two topics but the girls
> atheletics is as important as boys.
>
> In fact, as we can see from the Winter Olympics
> that the girls in USA team have won a significant
> number of medals for the USA team than most other
> nations.
>
> This says that girls atheletics is important for
> community health as eventually interest in
> atheletics for mothers of the future of a
> community leads to healhier children.
>
> Makes sense ?
>
> CafetwinV

WEll......we did have a rather extensive thread about Lake Braddock girls' basketball and frankly I'm disappointed it hasn't been resurrected.

Pages: Previous123AllNext
Current Page: 2 of 3

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.