HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Henrico Woman Jailed for "Harassment by computer" after posting SELFIE with firearm
Posted by: popular crime nowadays ()
Date: April 06, 2015 10:50PM

And she's pretty fucking hot. TL;DR - she posted a pic on facebook of her with a gun saying "I'll post a few real pics of me so you know the difference 'when you come find me'."

http://www.nbc12.com/story/28680417/chesterfield-woman-arrested-for-facebook-thugging

HENRICO, VA (WWBT) -
A Facebook feud ends with a Chesterfield woman in police custody. She was charged with harassment by computer.

"I feel like it's ridiculous because we were all guilty," said 26-year-old Kristin Holmes. "And I admit...I was childish and argued as well. Everybody was arguing."

Kristin says she was mistaken for another woman. She decided to post a photo with her holding a gun.

"I'll post a few actual pics of me so you know the difference when you 'come find me,'" read the Facebook caption.

"What happened to freedom of speech?" said Holmes. "And it was just a picture. It wasn't a threat. I thought it was a funny picture, and then I realized later that it was a little bit intimidating. So I took it down."

Holmes now faces a Class 1 misdemeanor that could lead to one year in jail and up to a $2,500 fine.

"And there is no such thing as a petty crime," said Kevin Carroll with the Fraternal Order of Police. "There is no such thing as a petty offense."

According to state code, using a computer to send vulgar or indecent language or to threaten illegal or immoral acts could get you slapped with the same charge.

"You're arresting someone for using bad words?" we asked Carroll.

"It's actually against the law to say it in public," said Carroll. "It's a part of the disorderly conduct statute. If it's against the law to say it in public..why wouldn't it be against the law to say it to someone through a computer?"

Holmes has a message for the community.

"Be careful what you put on the internet," said Holmes."Because you can go to jail for it. Facebook thugging is a crime."

Holmes lives in Chesterfield, but the harassment by computer charge was brought by Henrico Police. Holmes says she plans to fight to have the charge dismissed.

Copyright 2015 WWBT NBC12. All rights reserved.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Henrico Woman Jailed for "Harassment by computer" after posting SELFIE with firearm
Posted by: Mike O'Meara Show Fan ()
Date: April 07, 2015 12:28AM

"And there is no such thing as a petty crime," said Kevin Carroll with the Fraternal Order of Police. "There is no such thing as a petty offense."

So they talked to a receptionist instead of an actual cop? A receptionist who's never heard of petit larceny?

Re: Henrico Woman Jailed for "Harassment by computer" after posting SELFIE with firearm
Posted by: Henrico justice ()
Date: April 07, 2015 12:31AM

Henrico takes computer harassment very seriously.
Attachments:
william moreno arrest.jpg

Posted by: Dog Walker81 ()
Date: April 07, 2015 12:39AM

If this works right, it should include the photo (below) that sparked this.

Charging the woman, Holmes, with a crime would make sense if she emailed or otherwise communicated a photo of herself with a gun and captioned "I'm coming after you."

Instead, it seems as if someone threatened the woman by saying "I'm gonna find you" (impliedly, also "I'll get you").

Holmes responds with the gun photo in effect saying 'if you find me,
I'll be prepared to defend myself" - a message of defense, not attack, not a threat. Maybe the news reports leave out actual threats in the woman's messages?

The important point of the article:

According to state code, using a computer to send vulgar or indecent language or to threaten
illegal or immoral acts could get you slapped with the same charge.

I realized that emailing or posting threats by computer was illegal, but I didn't know that vulgar/indecent language was illegal. Vulgar/indecent language is overused on the internet, but outlawing it may violate the First Amendment.

RELATED NEWS STORIES:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/va-woman-arrested-facebook-thugging-gun-selfie-article-1.2173529

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3024660/Woman-26-arrested-Facebook-thugging-posting-selfie-gun-social-media-feud.html
==============
==============
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.
Attachments:
thugging5n-3-web.jpg

Posted by: eesh ()
Date: April 07, 2015 12:42AM

She looks good in a devil girl sort of way...

Date: April 07, 2015 01:01AM

Mike O'Meara Show Fan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "And there is no such thing as a petty crime,"
> said Kevin Carroll with the Fraternal Order of
> Police. "There is no such thing as a petty
> offense."
>
> So they talked to a receptionist instead of an
> actual cop? A receptionist who's never heard of
> petit larceny?

I guess his point is that minor crimes are taken seriously by police (and others should take them seriously too).

Carroll is President of the Virginia Fraternal Order of Police. He is almost certainly a current or retired police officer.

Date: April 07, 2015 01:07AM

Henrico justice Wrote:
> Henrico takes computer harassment very seriously.

Any idea what the defendant Moreno allegedly communicated or what the back story is on that?

BTW, he is from Sterling, quite a ways from Henrico.

Posted by: Long ride in Sheriff's car ()
Date: April 07, 2015 01:11AM

Dog Walker81 Wrote:
> Henrico justice Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Henrico takes computer harassment very
> seriously.
>
>
> Any idea what the defendant Moreno allegedly
> communicated or what the back story is on that?
>
> BTW, he is from Sterling, quite a ways from
> Henrico.

It looks like he was extradited from Loudoun to Henrico.

Date: April 07, 2015 12:20PM

How did you find this case? As far as I know, there is no way to search based on the charges. For example, I can't search on the court system to find who has been charged with "theft."

Did you already know about the case (i.e., name of defendant) before you searched the court web site?

Posted by: K4DGT ()
Date: April 07, 2015 12:43PM

Thank God that us people in Fairfax County got this information about Henrico, VA!

Date: April 07, 2015 01:07PM

Long ride in Sheriff's car Wrote:
> Dog Walker81 Wrote:
> -----
>

> >
> > BTW, he is from Sterling, quite a ways from
> > Henrico.
>
>
>
> It looks like he was extradited from Loudoun to
> Henrico.

Not only did he get a long ride, but it looks like he already spent a lot of time in jail before ever being found guilty of anything.

If I understand the court data on this guy, the alleged offense was Feb 1, then he was arrested the next day, Feb 2. The papers supporting the arrest were not filed until Feb 9, a week after the arrest. Then, he got arraigned on Feb 11, whereupon he was released on his own recognizance ("RORed").

Therefore, and if I'm understanding/reading this correctly, the guy spent from Feb 2 to Feb 11 in jail before any conviction, then the judge decided the guy was such a low risk that no bail was required and he was RORed.

I hope he wasn't punished this severely simply for vulgar/indecent language or some absurd general threat (e.g., "I'll get you" or "You'll pay for that").

I'm OK with serious threats being taken seriously and punished accordingly, but it does trouble me that, as I read the data, the guy had 9 nights in jail before he gets a judge to look at the charges.

===============
===============

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Date: April 07, 2015 01:11PM

file.php?2,file=181659,filename=thugging

What is that coming out of the woman's mouth? A big straw?

Posted by: eesh ()
Date: April 07, 2015 02:31PM

Dog Walker81 Wrote:

> What is that coming out of the woman's mouth? A
> big straw?

A toothbrush, but I can't stop looking at her epic eyebrows.

Posted by: RememberBeingLessPussified? ()
Date: April 07, 2015 07:45PM

Nanny state enforcing pussified laws, created by pussified legislatures, elected by pussified electorate. Yes, pussified- America.
The pussification of America is alive and well.

Posted by: this is how you do it ()
Date: April 07, 2015 08:31PM

Attachments:
img.jpeg

Posted by: Mike O'Meara Show Fan ()
Date: April 07, 2015 08:36PM

I don't see the picture with the toothbrush and the gun as a threat. Somebody in the prosecutor's office is a big pussy.

Posted by: weird0alert ()
Date: April 07, 2015 10:47PM

> "And there is no such thing as a petty crime," said Kevin Carroll with the Fraternal Order of Police. "There is no such thing as a petty offense."

How can a normal citizen of the United States take such a view point. This isn't some crazy anonymous moron on a website, this a named person actually making such a statement. This is so far off the deep end it's amazing. I guess he thinks speeding and jay-walking are serious offenses huh?

Posted by: dfjw ()
Date: April 07, 2015 11:35PM

Dog Walker81 Wrote:
> src=http://www.fairfaxunderground.com/forum/file.p
> hp?2,file=181659,filename=thugging5n-3-web.jpg>
>
> What is that coming out of the woman's mouth? A
> big straw?

It looks like she has a frog-like tongue that can extend a significant distance out of her mouth, possibly to catch insects.

Posted by: Same hour ()
Date: April 08, 2015 03:43PM

Dog Walker81 Wrote:
> Long ride in Sheriff's car Wrote:
> -----
> > Dog Walker81 Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> >
>
>
>
> > >
> > > BTW, he is from Sterling, quite a ways from
> > > Henrico.
> >
> >
> >
> > It looks like he was extradited from Loudoun to
> > Henrico.
>
> Not only did he get a long ride, but it looks like
> he already spent a lot of time in jail before ever
> being found guilty of anything.
>
> If I understand the court data on this guy, the
> alleged offense was Feb 1, then he was arrested
> the next day, Feb 2. The papers supporting the
> arrest were not filed until Feb 9, a week after
> the arrest. Then, he got arraigned on Feb 11,
> whereupon he was released on his own recognizance
> ("RORed").
>
> Therefore, and if I'm understanding/reading this
> correctly, the guy spent from Feb 2 to Feb 11 in
> jail before any conviction, then the judge decided
> the guy was such a low risk that no bail was
> required and he was RORed.
>
> I hope he wasn't punished this severely simply for
> vulgar/indecent language or some absurd general
> threat (e.g., "I'll get you" or "You'll pay for
> that").
>
> I'm OK with serious threats being taken seriously
> and punished accordingly, but it does trouble me
> that, as I read the data, the guy had 9 nights in
> jail before he gets a judge to look at the
> charges.
>
> ===============
> ===============
>
> It's nice to be important, but it's more important
> to be nice.

He didn't spend a day in jail. There was no bond set. He was taken to the station, processed and signed himself out the same night.

Date: April 08, 2015 04:30PM

Same hour Wrote:
> Dog Walker81 Wrote:
> -----
>

> > Therefore, and if I'm understanding/reading
> this
> > correctly, the guy spent from Feb 2 to Feb 11
> in
> > jail before any conviction, then the judge
> decided
> > the guy was such a low risk that no bail was
> > required and he was RORed.
> >

>
>
> He didn't spend a day in jail. There was no bond
> set. He was taken to the station, processed and
> signed himself out the same night.

Thanks for correcting my misunderstanding.

Posted by: Prosecutrix = Female Prosecutor ()
Date: May 25, 2015 07:03PM

Trial tomorrow.

Posted by: Marken ()
Date: May 25, 2015 07:25PM

Henrico justice Wrote:
> Henrico takes computer harassment very seriously.

They sure do!

2q82ek2.jpg

Posted by: job security ()
Date: May 25, 2015 07:28PM

weird0alert Wrote:
> > "And there is no such thing as a petty crime,"
> said Kevin Carroll with the Fraternal Order of
> Police. "There is no such thing as a petty
> offense."
>
>
> How can a normal citizen of the United States take
> such a view point. This isn't some crazy anonymous
> moron on a website, this a named person actually
> making such a statement. This is so far off the
> deep end it's amazing. I guess he thinks speeding
> and jay-walking are serious offenses huh?

Perhaps it is a form of job security.

If one could set the bar real low at work, most probably would.

Cops, do your job. Keep the peace. Protect people.

Posted by: Gordi ()
Date: May 28, 2015 01:41AM

This woman says she was impersonated and that's why she took the picture to show who she really was. If she can find out who impersonated her online then she can have them charged with a class 6 felony.

1. That § 18.2-152.7:1 of the Code of Virginia is amended and reenacted as follows:

§ 18.2-152.7:1. Harassment by computer; penalty.

A. If any person, with the intent to coerce, intimidate, defraud, or harass any person, shall use a computer or computer network to communicate obscene, vulgar, profane, lewd, lascivious, or indecent language, or make any suggestion or proposal of an obscene nature, or threaten any illegal or immoral act, he shall be is guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

B. Any person who violates subsection A while having knowingly and intentionally assumed the identity of another living individual where a reasonable person would believe that the offender is in fact the individual whose identity is assumed is guilty of a Class 6 felony.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.