HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
High School Sports In Fairfax County - Politics deeper than Washington
Posted by: SickofSportsPolitics ()
Date: May 26, 2015 12:27PM

We are all getting really tired of the politics of high school sports. When will Bill Curran wake up, or better yet, when will he retire? The tryouts are pathetic - no objective criteria - tryouts are based on who mommy and daddy are, or who the coach has connections with. Some of these poor coaches will just never move on. What a shame. Many of our best athletes have chosen NOT play in high school because of the awful coaches who have no business coaching anyone. It is a shame that these kids will never know what it is like to experience the comradery and joys of playing high school sports.They cannot stomach the yelling, bad coaching, and politics that decides who plays and who doesn't. Madison HS is the perfect example - just full of politics - from the top down - just look at the coaching staff and the athletic department and who is connected with whom. Why do we bother filling out surveys if NO ONE reads them and takes action? I wonder if Karen Garza can clean up this mess?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: High School Sports In Fairfax County - Politics deeper than Washington
Posted by: completely agree ()
Date: May 26, 2015 12:32PM

Fairfax HS is just as bad as Madison. you are spot on - some of the best athletes pass on high school sports because of the politics and crazy parents and horrible coaches.

Posted by: NR ()
Date: May 26, 2015 12:44PM

Some of the best coaches also pass up coaching in Fairfax County because of the reputation it has for whiny, needy, entitled kids enabled by helicopter parents who feel the need to stand behind the anonymity of the internet to voice their cries of helplessness.

Posted by: Helicopter Parent ()
Date: May 26, 2015 12:45PM

Looks like the some parent needs to learn the art of kissing up to the coaches?

Posted by: completely agree ()
Date: May 26, 2015 01:04PM

actually - I did not stand behind the anonymity of the internet - I met face to face with the coach and the AD and then took my concerns to the principal and the school board. I am not one to sit by and keep my opinion to myself, trust me. My concerns were heard and changes were made, but it was a ridiculous road to get there.

Posted by: SickofSportsPolitics ()
Date: May 26, 2015 03:14PM

I think you are missing the point - this is not about whiny parents or spoiled kids. There is about how the crummiest of coaches never get removed from the system. There is NO way to remove them. The athletic directors are "friends" with the coaches, as are the principals. high school is supposed to be fun.

Posted by: Parent of a former D1 Athlete ()
Date: May 26, 2015 03:33PM

My child was a product of the "club" program and the HS team didn't matter - it was fun not work. He went to a large D1 college, set several records and got a full ride by Sophomore year in college. His club coach told me he would excel in his sport in college and my child said that a scholarship only afforded him the ability to get an education.

In hindsight, the club program didn't have favorites, politics played nothing with it and as a parent I stayed out it. Win/Win.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.