HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Need new tires
Posted by: opa ()
Date: January 01, 2009 03:55PM

Where do people buy their tires around here (we live close to burke)? Need a new set for the explorer.

TIA

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need new tires
Posted by: Use Google ()
Date: January 01, 2009 04:21PM

The tire store.

Posted by: 124C41 ()
Date: January 01, 2009 04:26PM

You cannot beat Costco price and service, if they have the tire you want. They balance and rotate for life of tire.

Posted by: Check Your Tires ()
Date: January 01, 2009 05:04PM

Be sure to make sure your new tires are not old.

Posted by: Fairfax22032 ()
Date: January 01, 2009 06:13PM

124C41 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You cannot beat Costco price and service, if they
> have the tire you want. They balance and rotate
> for life of tire.

That is a big 'if'...Costco's prices are decent, but their selection is pretty thin. I highly recommend Tire Rack (http://www.tirerack.com). Their prices are better than you are going to find anywhere at retail and even with shipping at around $8 per tire it is almost always a better deal. They will drop ship the tires to a local installer (select from a list on their site). We replaced Michelin's on our Chrysler Pacifica with a set of General's that are outstanding at 1/2 the cost of the OEM tires. I just ordered a set of tires for our Escape and saved more than $100 over getting them from either Merchant's or Mr. Tire.

Posted by: why me ()
Date: January 01, 2009 06:23PM

I will second tirerack.com. I ordered from them about a month ago and had the tires in two days. Just take to your local mechanic for installation. And the tires were "new", manfactured just a few months ago.

Posted by: Delivery Costs? ()
Date: January 01, 2009 06:30PM

why me Wrote:
> I will second tirerack.com. I ordered from them
> about a month ago and had the tires in two days.
> Just take to your local mechanic for installation.
> And the tires were "new", manfactured just a few
> months ago.

Good deals on the site, how much was it to deliver to your home?

Date: January 01, 2009 06:45PM

I've heard good things about tirerack (and at least costco website didn't have the explorer tires). I don't know much about tires; what parameters do you look for in a 'good one'. We take a lot of highway trips on our explorer so would prefer durability.

Date: January 01, 2009 06:52PM

btw- has anyone ever used tirevan? someone on checkbook recommended them on an install.

Posted by: Take a Stand ()
Date: January 01, 2009 06:56PM

Once they are delivered to your house.
How are you going to mount and balance them?
Unless you can do it yourself, It will cost you more in the long run.

Posted by: tubby ()
Date: January 01, 2009 07:37PM

Llantos Usadas on Columbia Pike.

Best selection of used tires in the area. Ask for Rodrigo and tell him Tubby sent you. (Beaners do used tires right!)

Posted by: Suburbanite ()
Date: January 01, 2009 10:12PM

I recommend BJ's wholesale club. THey have a reasonable selection and reasonable prices. You also get a guarantee with them. I had a tire with a slow leak at the valve, They fixed it for free. As for which tires to buy it depends on what you use the car for. If you're never taking it off road, you shouldn't buy off road tires. There are shops that will sell them to you even though you know you don't need em.

A good all terrain tire works just fine in this area and will easily take you through all our weather and local roads. You can always just buy the same thing that's already on the car. THat's the easiest choice.

To price check, write down what it says on the sidewall of your tire, should say something like 265/75/15 and BF Goodrich, or Goodyear, etc. Then check at the different stores for price, make sure you ask if the price they give you includes mounting and balancing. If oyu buy online at tirerack, you need a tire mounting place that will mount the tires you bring. Call around and ask. Many will.

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: January 01, 2009 11:13PM

If you buy the llantas usadas, make sure to get teh ones with teh warranty. They will last about two weeks. the non-warranty used tires (the ones that cost $5 each) will blow out the moment your car's weight is put on them.

Posted by: WingNut ()
Date: January 02, 2009 12:00AM

tubby Wrote:
> Llantos Usadas on Columbia Pike.
>
> Best selection of used tires in the area. Ask for
> Rodrigo and tell him Tubby sent you. (Beaners do
> used tires right!)

Llantas Usadas on Columbia Pike near Lacey Blvd, used to be a royal hose job, maybe it's under new mangement and better now, I don't know.

I went there twice. The first time I needed a tire for a car I was selling,the Indian or Pakistani guy there "gave me a used tire for free" but charged for the install. This policy was so there would need to be no guarantee on the tire and no recourse if it was junk. I didn't care because I was just basically selling a POS car and needed something to get it rolling, but it seemed like a shakey business practice.

The second time I went there was because I was donating another POS to Mellwood and I gave this poor lady in my neighborhood the better tires off the car I was donating. I just wanted someone with more than one floor jack to swap the tires from one car to another. Llantas Usadas price was $50, I told them to forget it and went to a place in South Arlington off Four Mile Run and maybe Oxford or Oakland run by some Salvadorans - their price was $20 which was fair for a quick 5 minute job with air tools and two jacks.

If Llantas Usadas is under new management, I might try again for some petty little beater tire jobs, but I didn't like what I saw there before.

Date: January 02, 2009 12:25AM

opa Wrote:
> I've heard good things about tirerack (and at
> least costco website didn't have the explorer
> tires). I don't know much about tires; what
> parameters do you look for in a 'good one'. We
> take a lot of highway trips on our explorer so
> would prefer durability.

The advisors at Tire Rack are very helpful and in my experience don't try to push you into higher cost Michelin or Goodyear unless that is what you really want. Give them a call and they will walk through the options. You can also use the information on the website to narrow down the options. You don't say the year and trim level for your Explorer, but I would highly recommend the General Grabber HTS if they are available in the size you need. It has the highest rating in the Highway All Season category and is only $116 per tire. The Goodyear Fortera Triple Tred is rated #2 in the category and costs $60 more per tire.

Look for an installer on the Tire Rack website. I like WB Motors on Pickett. The installation charge is around $15, but they do excellent work.

Date: January 02, 2009 12:29AM

Delivery Costs? Wrote:
> why me Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I will second tirerack.com. I ordered from
> them
> > about a month ago and had the tires in two days.
>
> > Just take to your local mechanic for
> installation.
> > And the tires were "new", manfactured just a
> few
> > months ago.
>
>
> Good deals on the site, how much was it to deliver
> to your home?

Delivery is $6-8 per tire, but I would suggest having Tire Rack ship them directly to a local installer. You can find a list of recommended installers on the website. I have had very good experience with WB Motors on Pickett. They are a full service auto shop and their work is top notch and fairly priced. Probably not a fair comparison, but they charged me $350 less than Mr. Tire for front brakes (pads & rotors) and new tie rod ends.

Also, I don't think that Tire Rack charges sales tax, so the delivery is basically a wash. Their prices are really hard to beat...I tried to have Mr. Tire and Just Tires price match and they told me that the Tire Rack price was below their cost.

Posted by: jack of all trades ()
Date: January 02, 2009 01:01AM

dont forget to pay the disposal fee so the store can pocket the money and throw the tires over the nearest hill

Date: January 02, 2009 10:52AM

Just ordered the General Grabbers from tirerack to a local installer. Should be done next week. Will update everyone on the results. Thanks!

Posted by: Yep ()
Date: January 02, 2009 03:54PM

I use tire rack. Good deals. My buddy has access to the gear and gets them on the car for a beer or two. Can't beat that.

Posted by: PresaCanario ()
Date: January 02, 2009 07:33PM

tirerack.com

Then take it to a local garage for install/balancing.

Posted by: ITRADE ()
Date: January 02, 2009 08:42PM

Will any garage do it or are some garages bitchy about it?

Date: January 02, 2009 09:33PM

ITRADE Wrote:
> Will any garage do it or are some garages bitchy
> about it?

They have a list of rated installers on their site.

Date: January 02, 2009 11:34PM

ITRADE Wrote:
> Will any garage do it or are some garages bitchy
> about it?

Some shops are better than others, but the recommended installers on the Tire Rack website welcome the business and some, like WB Motors, get 5-10 deliveries per week. Places like Mr. Tire, Merchant's and NTB make a lot of money on the tires and typically charge a much higher installation rate for "outside" tires since you are cutting into their margin.

Costco used to have the best deal...it was like $10 per tire to mount and balance, but then they increased it to $25 if you brought in your own tires and now they won't even do that - you have to buy them there which I have no disagreement with. The best thing about using a Tire Rack installer is that they will drop ship the tires which eliminates the need to schlep them in your car.

By the way, I only mention WB Motors since they have done great work for me over the past 18 months. They also have a good rating in Washington Checkbook.

Posted by: ITRADE ()
Date: January 03, 2009 08:08AM

Thanks....Actual, useful info from FXU!

Posted by: the shell ()
Date: July 16, 2013 11:45AM

the shell where the safeway is will install tire rack tires. They told me to get them from tire rack and so far I been happy.

Posted by: the shell ()
Date: July 16, 2013 11:46AM

sorry the shell in burke

Posted by: gotsomegreattires ()
Date: July 16, 2013 08:43PM

Unless you are sure you want new tires, you can get excellent used tires.

I got a set of four from Rons in Centerville. Got 4 Yokohama Geolanders with about 70% of the tread left. I paid $200 balanced and mounted.

They would cost about $860 new for the same tires from TireRack with shipping, balancing and mounting.

Rons provides a 30 day money back guarantee in case on finds any problem with them after you get them.

Mine have been great so far.

Posted by: Drug berth bug ()
Date: July 16, 2013 08:52PM

Treaddepot.com had the best prices and they will ship it to the installer of your choosing

I used consumers reports to pick the best brand

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.