HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Would you start a family in Fairfax County today?
Posted by: Serious Question ()
Date: May 22, 2015 06:59PM

I'm a transplant but been here a good while (12+ years). Good job, nice house, comfortable. Ready to settle down and start a family... but wondering if this is the best place to do that.

I hear about the high quality of our schools. I see for myself the relatively low crime/safety of most of the county. I feel the taxes are a bit higher than I might find elsewhere but otherwise the cost of living is proportionate to salaries. We have good amenities and services, excellent access to good healthcare, lots of opportunities for cultural enrichment, and are close to tons of history/museums/etc. We get good concerts and have franchises in all four major sports (though the "no conference championships since 2000" statistic is a bitter pill to swallow!).

I think this area in general is sheltered from the ebb and flow of the rest of the country in terms of employment (recall that during the worst of the unemployment nationwide, the DC metro never really suffered).

We have three major airports within (relatively) easy traveling distance. Our public transportation infrastructure may need some work, but it's functional (to a point) and actually exists.

The weather isn't awful, it's hot in the summer but not too cold in the winter. We have the occasional bad thunderstorm and a hurricane once a decade or so I guess? I mean we aren't in tornado alley or at risk of a regionally-devastating earthquake. For the most part it's quiet here, meteorologically-speaking.

I'm concerned about overcrowding and traffic. And of course there is always the fear of terrorist or other "end of the world" type activity centering on DC as a target. But I mean these days you could have a kid shooting up a school in East Bumfuck, Idaho just as easily...

So what's the consensus?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Would you start a family in Fairfax County today?
Posted by: NHhTy ()
Date: May 22, 2015 07:16PM

The demographics of Fairfax are skewing towards an irreversible 3rd world shift. The tipping point has been reached in my opinion.

If you have enough money to insulate yourself from the "diversity" then a family is a great idea. If the answer is no then I'd consider moving prior to starting a family.

Posted by: newgatedenizen ()
Date: May 22, 2015 07:24PM

Sure... why not?

Overcrowding and bad traffic is not going to go away. Probably will just slowly continue to get worse. But if you have lived here for 12 years you know what it's like. So you can decide for yourself.

There are drawbacks to living pretty much anywhere. I have lived in NOVA for over 25 years and raised (almost) my family here and I have no major complaints. If you work close to where you live traffic is not really much of a problem.

I have immediate family that live in Pittsburgh, PA-Philadelphia, PA-Charlotte, NC-Sacramento, CA suburbs: I could easily have lived in any of their communities. I've enjoyed visiting them over the years and comparing to NOVA. Some things nicer - some things worse. Just depends on what you want and what works for you.

I will say for all the bitching and moaning about FCPS - the schools here are hands down better than the localities I just mentioned. That being said I would try to secure a home in one of the better school pyramids in the county. If you are in one of the below you should be fine:

Langley
McLean
Oakton
Woodson
Madison
Marshall
Chantilly
Herndon
Lake Braddock
Robinson
West Springfield
Westfield
South Lakes
South County
Centreville
Fairfax

Posted by: Not good scolds ()
Date: May 22, 2015 08:24PM

I would refine

Herndon
Westfield
South Lakes
South County
Centreville

newgatedenizen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sure... why not?
>
> Overcrowding and bad traffic is not going to go
> away. Probably will just slowly continue to get
> worse. But if you have lived here for 12 years
> you know what it's like. So you can decide for
> yourself.
>
> There are drawbacks to living pretty much
> anywhere. I have lived in NOVA for over 25 years
> and raised (almost) my family here and I have no
> major complaints. If you work close to where you
> live traffic is not really much of a problem.
>
> I have immediate family that live in Pittsburgh,
> PA-Philadelphia, PA-Charlotte, NC-Sacramento, CA
> suburbs: I could easily have lived in any of
> their communities. I've enjoyed visiting them
> over the years and comparing to NOVA. Some things
> nicer - some things worse. Just depends on what
> you want and what works for you.
>
> I will say for all the bitching and moaning about
> FCPS - the schools here are hands down better than
> the localities I just mentioned. That being said
> I would try to secure a home in one of the better
> school pyramids in the county. If you are in one
> of the below you should be fine:
>
> Langley
> McLean
> Oakton
> Woodson
> Madison
> Marshall
> Chantilly
> Herndon
> Lake Braddock
> Robinson
> West Springfield
> Westfield
> South Lakes
> South County
> Centreville
> Fairfax

Posted by: Only if the condom broke. ()
Date: May 22, 2015 09:36PM

Serious Question Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Only if the condom broke.

Posted by: mixed bag ()
Date: May 22, 2015 09:40PM

this is a love-hate relationship area. many snooty racists, many wealthy intelligent friendly foreigners, many rednecks, many poor illegals. the school system is a mixed bag. if you stay, don't forget where you came from because it is certainly more normal than here and you will need to teach your children humility, respect and the importance of hard work. there are so many entitled pampered spoiled offspring who are not prepared for life and reality is going to smack them hard one day.

Date: May 22, 2015 11:46PM

I hear that in some of the schools the teacher speaks 1/2 the time in Spanish, then 1/2 the time in English.

I'd avoid the schools that have announcements outside posted in Spanish. I'm thinking of the elementary school on S. West St. in Falls Church. Or drive past any elementary school at recess and ask yourself if you want your kids in classrooms with little girls who wear headscarves.

If you're white, your kids will be taught that their ancestors were evil, that their cultural heritage destroyed peaceful nations, and their European heritage made no positive contributions to civilization.

Educated white people should definitely start families. We have great doctors and hospitals here. But I'd educate the kids either at home or in private schools.

I've lived all my life in Fairfax Co. It was a great place to grow up...but back then, the bulk of our foreigners were diplomats, educated people, and we weren't all expected to become cultural anthropologists because the immigrant population wanted to assimilate and we weren't obliged to conform to their ways.

And of course, there is the new sex ed curriculum with special bathrooms for special people. Nuff said.

Posted by: Deerpat ()
Date: May 23, 2015 01:06AM

It just depends on whether or not you have enuff money to insulate tourself brom the negative stuff. DSounds like you do.

Posted by: Runvs ()
Date: May 23, 2015 01:20AM

I have lived here for 12 years as well and am heading back to Ca...The traffic here is awful. At least in Ca it can be justified. The traffic and overcrowding drives me nuts. I would rather have a nice ranch home than a Va McMansion. No offense. But listen to hour heart and not what others say. That is what I have done and It feels right.

Posted by: current high school numbers ()
Date: May 23, 2015 11:58AM

Attachments:
FCPS pg 14 .jpg

Posted by: Numbers Count ()
Date: May 23, 2015 01:17PM

Very very depressing,

Posted by: Lee ()
Date: May 23, 2015 02:39PM

Lee only has 353 whites?

Posted by: whicch ()
Date: May 23, 2015 04:51PM

is it better to have a larger percent of white trash or a higher percent of smart Asians, read between the numbers

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.