HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Sharon Bulova Lorton Workhouse Arts Center
Posted by: taxpayer ()
Date: January 20, 2014 10:57PM

Great. Fairfax county will make parents pay for testing of their students but is willing to assume a $30 million the organization’s debt. Sharon Bulova thinks it's a good thing because she has personally attended many successful workshops, fundraisers, and events at the Workhouse." So I guess that makes it worth thirty million of our tax dollars. Thanks again Sharon...so pleased that you think it is worth it.

This was published in the Lorton Patch. "The Lorton Arts Foundation board, the nonprofit that runs the Workhouse Arts Center, will be abolished after the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors agreed that the county will assume $30 million the organization’s debt.

Programs at the 56-acre cultural arts venue will remain the same, according to John Mason, CEO and president of the arts center.

“We are pleased that the county has taken this action. It’s a key step in ensuring we have a long-term future,” Mason said.

The Fairfax County Board of Supervisors announced their decision at Tuesday’s board meeting. The Lorton Arts Foundation had entered into about $60 million in debt to Wells Fargo Bank.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sharon Bulova Lorton Workhouse Arts Center
Posted by: Highhitter ()
Date: January 20, 2014 11:20PM

Oh yes. I heard that. FCPS wants to charge parents for testing their kids and they can force that testing be done. I L..O..V..E PAYING TAXES IN FAIRFAX COUNTY. I can always count on paying more and more. When a private venture such as Lorton Workhouse Arts Foundation and The Board of Supervisors got into bed together, we all lost. The board members on the workhouse Arts Center are all good friends with the BOS...many share positions on other committees within the county. Everyone wins, except the taxpayers in Fairfax County. Who agreed to allow the LWAF to use county property in the first place???and why didn't taxpayers have more say in the matter. I guess next time our vote will be our say on whether or not we wanted to assume an extra thirty million dollar loan to help out a private organization! Goodbye Sharon Bulova and the rest of the BOS.

Posted by: Lorton Citizen ()
Date: January 21, 2014 03:47PM

As an active member in the redevelopment of the Lorton area I was one of the few that was not in favor of the financial arrangement of the Work House. The issue got pushed through due to 2 residents who had a love affair with the prison and the "vision" of an art destination for Fairfax County. Historical preservations got involved like Barker's wife, Lynn Garvey of Clifton and they all claimed historic significance of the area. The truth is a study by William and Mary was done and there is no historic significance other than the site where the Suffragettes stayed which was torn down for the water treatment plant. RT 123 is significant as it was the route the troops used in the Civil War.

The citizens of Fairfax have been taken on a ride on this one and yes, Sharon paid her dues to Gerry Hyland on this and it is and was a Democratic political maneuver that has taken place. Remember there is the other site on the Lorton prison property that will also need funding...it sits going to ruin and we are paying for the security of all these decaying buildings on this parcel. Money is being wasted in very tight times.

Posted by: Art Lover. But not for that much ()
Date: January 21, 2014 04:02PM

^ This.

A ridiculous situation which never should have been permitted to happen. It should have been obvious that this never would cover its cost to survive on its own and that the county would end up footing the bill. Which is the only reason they were able to attract the absurd amount of financing they did for it.

Posted by: fairfaxx ()
Date: January 21, 2014 04:05PM

Let's keep one thing in mind... it's a prison!!!!!!

Why do people think old is the same as historic? It's not. The whole place is an eyesore. If you are going to require that it always looks like Shawshank, then you might as well start brining the inmates back too. We have an eye sore for no reason and no public benefit, just a massive bill for taxpayers.

It defies all logic but now we're doubling down.

Instead let's sell it, open a few needed restaurants in the area that collect taxes for the county. Imagine Clyde's Willow Creek being located at that site? It would be a gold mine and revenue generator for years.

Date: January 21, 2014 04:50PM

Until we get a new BOS who can walk away from the party zealots then and only then will we be free from deals like the Lorton Prison. Unfortunately this is not realistic as local party politics is dirty and this is what you get for the dirt...a former prison costing taxpayers $30 million.

Gross, Bulova, Frye, Hyland, Herrity and others ALL need to go. The slate needs to be wiped clean, we need new people on the BOS, ones who respond to financial needs and make tough decisions based on reality and not party favors. We need smart people to handle the future of Fairfax not the status quo.

Posted by: Sharoon Bullover ()
Date: January 21, 2014 04:53PM

Shut up you PEASANTS! Pay your taxes and do as I say. I'm the Queen of Fairfax County!

Posted by: Fiscal Sanity ()
Date: January 31, 2014 05:32PM

I think the loss is even more - $30 million for Wells Fargo and another $16 million already spent by the county. I wouldn't be surprised if there is even more and the continuing costs are high. There needs to be high volume commercial, taxpaying activities established on the site ASAP or sell off the land and buildings to salvage what we can.

Date: January 31, 2014 05:58PM

Check out the spin Cook and others are putting on this bail out! You would think that this was the only fiscal way out for the county. It is not and they made errors long ago on this issue. It started with the leadership from the County and the Task Force itself.

Now there is another controversy that pertains to the landfill. Certain politicians and those with "skin" in the game (meaning money, who happen to own land in the vicinity) are trying to develop property and deny an agreement made long ago with the community and Enviro Solutions. It so happens Enviro Solutions has offered millions to the county for assistance in green energy. The County may be walking away from this deal due to the influences of those in the pockets of the politicians.

And so it goes...

Posted by: Tough One ()
Date: January 31, 2014 05:59PM

When I brought this up at the planning sessions, it was "this is going to be a beacon for the community." Results=anything but that.

Posted by: Phunny Muney ()
Date: January 31, 2014 06:16PM

Fiscal Sanity Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think the loss is even more - $30 million for
> Wells Fargo and another $16 million already spent
> by the county. I wouldn't be surprised if there
> is even more and the continuing costs are high.
> There needs to be high volume commercial,
> taxpaying activities established on the site ASAP
> or sell off the land and buildings to salvage what
> we can.

They offset. The bond holders won't have any loss as long as the county keeps paying the $16 million and future payments. That's why they did it to begin with. They're not stupid enough to look at that deal and give them that much money unless they knew that it would be back-stopped.

­
Posted by: chuckhoffmann ()
Date: January 31, 2014 07:59PM

­

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2014 05:36PM by chuckhoffmann.

Posted by: Jacques Offe ()
Date: January 31, 2014 09:12PM

The arts are always heavily subisized - I know some County employees that work in an area with an arts focus and they will readily admit such. The arts are not sustainable. Politicans always love to pretend to support the arts because that's what people like to hear, but any kind of public venture into the arts will always involve taxpayer money to support it. On the bright side, word is that plans to explore a new performing arts facility in the northern part of the County are being put on hold because of this debacle.

Engage taxpayers in future of Lorton Workhouse
Posted by: Corazon Sandoval Foley ()
Date: February 01, 2014 03:55AM

Engage taxpayers in future of Lorton Workhouse
http://www.fairfaxtimes.com/article/20140131/OPINION/140139718/1065/engage-taxpayers-in-future-of-lorton-workhouse&template=fairfaxTimes

I am writing to suggest that Fairfax County taxpayers be engaged more actively in deciding on the future of the Lorton Workhouse that was managed poorly by the nonprofit Lorton Arts Foundation, resulting in at least a $30 million bill for taxpayers, including myself. Fairfax County regularly asks all taxpayers to be involved in the overall budget process and I believe that the Lorton Workhouse program also calls for such citizen engagement through town meetings and votes on future bond offerings in order to help ensure that this financial debacle is not repeated.

I appreciate the statements by Fairfax County Chairman Sharon Bulova, Springfield Supervisor Patrick Herrity, and Braddock Supervisor John Cook for they enabled taxpayers, like myself, to understand better the issues of poor management by the Lorton Arts Foundation that has now been abolished. Starting anew is a critical step and it might be best not to have former employees or Board members involved in future operations of the Lorton Workhouse.

My own humble opinion is that the bipartisan majority decision by the Board of Supervisors was not an easy one to make but was probably necessary — with the caveat that future decisions have to be monitored so much more carefully. The idea of having the Lorton Workhouse “shuttered up” while decisions are left to fester during a process of foreclosure would not have been in the best interests of our community. And we taxpayers are all involved for we all own the project since Fairfax County owns the land and buildings of the Lorton Workhouse.

My own list of options include the following:

1. Bond issues by the new nonprofit should be approved by the taxpayers as part of the election process — similar to votes on school and park construction. This would allow for proper taxpayer review/critique; as John Mason had indicated regarding the second bond offering: “I think if I had been involved as CEO at the point where the decision was made to go for a second bond, I might have wanted to pause and think about whether we could absorb the costs of the first bond.” A citizen review process is critical in the Lorton Workhouse future.

2. Exit interviews should be conducted for all employees of the failed Lorton Arts Foundation in order to understand the management problems as well as gather suggestions for solutions from those who were involved in the project. Starting afresh means letting poor performers go, but not necessarily ignoring insights which might be valuable for the future.

3. Town meetings should be held not just for those in the surrounding community but for the whole of Fairfax County — the tax bill was not just for Mount Vernon District residents but for all of us, including residents of our Springfield District. I sent a note to Springfield Supervisor Patrick Herrity inquiring about town meetings on the future vision for the Lorton Workhouse that should gather suggestions/critiques from taxpayers, at meetings or through the internet.

Corazon Sandoval Foley, Burke

Posted by: Joe Citizen ()
Date: February 01, 2014 05:57AM

Art Lover. But not for that much Wrote:
> ^ This.
>
> A ridiculous situation which never should have
> been permitted to happen. It should have been
> obvious that this never would cover its cost to
> survive on its own and that the county would end
> up footing the bill. Which is the only reason
> they were able to attract the absurd amount of
> financing they did for it.

Why would Wells Fargo bank have ever provided financing for $60 million to this project in the first place??

­
Date: February 01, 2014 11:16AM

­

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2014 05:37PM by chuckhoffmann.

Date: February 01, 2014 12:20PM

You have put your finger on one of the continuing problems. Only a small part of the site has been renovated, and some of the renovation appears to have been stopped after partial work was done.. It looks like millions more would have to be spent to finish the core unless some of the site is sold off for other development. Also, the site is isolated with no ability to generate additional revenue from collocated businesses. How will the county ever change the business model so that the Workhouse Art Center is not operated at a perpetual loss to the taxpayers?

Posted by: ...in the 22039 ()
Date: February 01, 2014 12:33PM

chuckhoffmann Wrote:
> Joe Citizen Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Why would Wells Fargo bank have ever provided
> > financing for $60 million to this project in
> the
> > first place??
>
> Because the Fairfax County Economic Development
> Authority issued the bonds and therefore they were
> implicitly (now explicitly) backed by the county.*
>
>
> I'd really like to see the revenue forecasts,
> proposals, and other documents that "proved" that
> something like the Workhouse Arts center could
> handle nearly $3 million per year in debt service,
> which had to be paid on top of the costs of just
> running the place.
>
> There must have been a hefty sampling of creative
> number crunching with a dollop of wishful thinking
> on top.
>
> *This is in direct contravention of Article X,
> section 10 of the Virginia State Constitution,
> which states
"Neither the credit of the
> Commonwealth nor of any county, city, town, or
> regional government shall be directly or
> indirectly, under any device or pretense
> whatsoever, granted to or in aid of any person,
> association, or corporation..."

Interesting, and what I was thinking, too!

­
Date: February 01, 2014 01:09PM

­

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2014 05:38PM by chuckhoffmann.

Date: February 01, 2014 01:29PM

In college, I had a chance to debate the prison and the idea of closing the facility. I seem to recall my position being, DC could get out, selling off the asset, Fairfax County could profit from the taxes on whatever was developed next...

Anyways, the whole arts deal is goofy, and doesn't make money. And seeing the decisions by the BOS on the whole situation, we (taxpayers) are losing big!

Acres upon acres of remaining land should be developed, as the time is right.

Date: February 01, 2014 02:25PM

And that historic designation has run up the costs of renovation greatly as well as hampered on-site advertising and road front signage; thus making the cash flow problem even worse. This has been a huge fustercluk and is likely to continue to be one without radical changes.

­
Date: February 01, 2014 04:46PM

­

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2014 05:42PM by chuckhoffmann.

Posted by: La Artiste ()
Date: February 01, 2014 06:24PM

chuckhoffmann Wrote:
> The idea of pumping hundreds of thousands or
> millions of dollars year after year into the place
> just to be able to say "we have an arts center" is
> stupid, though. My response is, "Yeah, you have an
> arts center, in the middle of nowhere, which
> nobody goes to, and that burns through tons of
> taxpayer dollars per year."

And the shitty art that will come out of it. Made from garbage and trash, by inner city kids. Coming soon shitty ass art...
Attachments:
collab-5.jpg

Posted by: Debbie Downer Democrat XIII ()
Date: February 01, 2014 07:10PM

Lorton Citizen Wrote:
> Check out the spin Cook and others are putting on
> this bail out! You would think that this was the
> only fiscal way out for the county. It is not and
> they made errors long ago on this issue. It
> started with the leadership from the County and
> the Task Force itself.
>
> Now there is another controversy that pertains to
> the landfill. Certain politicians and those with
> "skin" in the game (meaning money, who happen to
> own land in the vicinity) are trying to develop
> property and deny an agreement made long ago with
> the community and Enviro Solutions. It so happens
> Enviro Solutions has offered millions to the
> county for assistance in green energy. The County
> may be walking away from this deal due to the
> influences of those in the pockets of the
> politicians.
>
> And so it goes...

I wonder if John Foust has taken kick-backs. I'm not sure exactly what he actually does of benefit. He certainly has some big-buck earners in his district though, since it does cover McLean and areas west - Great Falls, etc.

I do remember about a year ago, the Fairfax board had an item to vote on and a few of the members had an "interest" in the item they were voting on / for. A few of them actually abstained from voting. If more could do that, there might be more integrity.

Date: February 01, 2014 08:00PM

The readaptive use of the former Lorton Prison Site was a fast train running as a result of local historians. Their love for the prison (many had worked there) and their undying support for Gerry Hyland and others that were amenable to champion their cause for votes made the site what it is today.

It will take millions of dollars to renovate all of the facility to include the prison site which is struggling to find money as it lays vacant and decays. (There are 2 sites with the Arts Workhouse as one of the sites.) Historical preservationists went so far as to deem the chain link fences as being historic. It will take years to try to reverse some of this designation if at all possible to make it a viable development/destination. Several key members on the original Task Force are now Planning Commissioners...you can again thank Gerry Hyland for this. They are good people but they worked within his perimeter of what he wanted to do with the site.

As for the land itself, it was swapped out for minimal money and the prison closed due to meetings with high level politicians with area advocates. The County got got an unbelievable deal but what they did with this deal was wrong...the concept of what they agreed on years ago was not sustainable then and it is not so now.

­
Date: February 01, 2014 08:55PM

­

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2014 05:41PM by chuckhoffmann.

Posted by: Reality Knocking ()
Date: February 01, 2014 09:43PM

chuckhoffmann Wrote:
>
> ...
>
> That's how the LAC should be treating their
> artists. Pay a fee for your studio space and a
> percentage of all your sales. If you're not
> earning for the house, out you go and we'll bring
> in someone who can make money. I imagine
> there's probably hundreds if not thousands of
> artists in Fairfax and Prince William who would
> like to have a space and are sufficiently talented
> to make money doing it.

That all makes sense assuming that you're talking about a small little cooperative that's operating out of some existing space that's not otherwise usable and low cost (which I always thought this was until the more recent press). And dollar numbers in the hundreds of thousands or maybe a couple million if they're doing very well and have a big draw.

There are virtually none who could generate the numbers needed here and you'd need many of them. That ain't happening in any real-world scenario.

­
Date: February 02, 2014 01:07AM

­

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2014 05:41PM by chuckhoffmann.

Posted by: Joe Citizen ()
Date: February 02, 2014 02:42AM

chuckhoffmann Wrote:
>
> Hence my argument that the county should treat
> artists who rent studio space or other facilities
> at the Lorton Arts Center as if they were small
> businessmen.
>

This is how it's done at the Torpedo factory in Alexandria. Artist lease space for sharing their works and offering them for sale. Additionally, they have smaller work areas where they can paint on site, too.

It seems awfully frivolous to put forth so many millions of dollars to keep this place above water. I'm sure the other citizens would quite bothered with their tax dollars being spent in this manner. This facility isn't really a "service" for the county and county residents, but is more of a luxury and many of the residents will subsidize it and never get any benefit from the arts center.

Date: February 02, 2014 10:34AM

"That's how the LAC should be treating their artists. Pay a fee for your studio space and a percentage of all your sales. If you're not earning for the house, out you go and we'll bring in someone who can make money. I imagine there's probably hundreds if not thousands of artists in Fairfax and Prince William who would like to have a space and are sufficiently talented to make money doing it."

I think that is how it is actually done now. The artists pay rent based upon the size of their individual studios and something like 30% of their gross sales. However, the number of artists and the volume of sales doesn't come near to covering the costs of the facility and likely never will. Something far more sweeping is needed if the Center is not to be operated at a perpetual loss.

Posted by: Tedavens ()
Date: February 06, 2014 10:54AM

And now the genius county employee that set up Lurton arts, len wales is getting rewarded with a plum assignment in the community services board. Screw up move up.

Posted by: Tedavens ()
Date: February 16, 2014 05:07PM

The person who put together the deal was Len Wales who was highly praised at the start of Lorton Arts. Even though he retired he is still on the county payroll. I guess because he did such a good job.lol

Posted by: Art Lover ()
Date: February 25, 2014 03:28PM

I was briefly employed by the Lorton Arts Foundation and ran screaming (literally) from the place after the first week. I can tell you first-hand what a lost cause this is. The LAF laid off most of its employees in an attempt to streamline and keep going. Even though the BOS says that the Lorton Arts Foundation Board is being dissolved, it is not. The same people who were on the board for the last few years remain on the board. There are still millions of dollars needed to complete renovations. Earlier renovations were damaged during Snowmageddon a few years ago and remain structurally unsound. The high-security prison complex still needs to be renovated and everything has to be completed under historic guidelines.

The business model is that the artist studios will fund future renovations through rental contracts and selling of art with LAF getting 30% of whatever they sell. Good luck with that. The performing arts attracts some visitors and sustains itself but can't make enough to carry the entire load. Gallery space is rented for shows and events, except the first floor which is donated to local schools or non-profits to display their artwork. So, the remaining amount of operating costs needs to be raised through donations, grants and fundraising events. Shouldn't be too hard, they only have to raise a few million dollars annually....in a tight economy....where all arts organizations are competing for the same dollars.

This will continue to bleed Fairfax County residents for generations to come. Rise up and say no! Not another dollar to that place. Done. Done. Done.

Fairfax taxpayers review future of Lorton Workhouse
Posted by: Corazon Sandoval Foley ()
Date: March 30, 2014 08:40PM

Fairfax taxpayers review future of Lorton Workhouse
http://www.fairfaxtimes.com/article/20140328/OPINION/140329144/1065/fairfax-taxpayers-review-future-of-lorton-workhouse&template=fairfaxTimes

On March 19, 2014, a group of concerned Fairfax County taxpayers met with John Mason, CEO of Workhouse Arts Foundation (WAF), to review the future of the Lorton Workhouse in order to support its success while ensuring no more Fairfax County bailout in the future. The meeting was a response to my letter to the editor on “Engage taxpayers in future of Lorton Workhouse” (Feb. 7, 2014).

I was hoping that Springfield Supervisor Patrick Herrity would sponsor a town hall meeting on the issue since he has been very proud of having voted against the bailout -- and I hoped that he would have been interested in getting more taxpayer inputs so that no more bailouts would occur in the future. Be that as it may, WAF CEO John Mason very kindly offered to brief us concerned taxpayers, as my letter suggested. I posted minutes of the March 19 meeting, with the following highlights:

1. SAME MANAGEMENT. The press had reported earlier that the Lorton Arts Foundation was replaced because it failed in its management of the Workhouse. We were informed that the Lorton Arts Foundation was simply renamed to Workhouse Arts Foundation with the same tax ID number.

2. BUSINESS MODEL UNDER DEVELOPMENT. The plan for FY2015 continues the original plan -- with success dependent on large fundraising and increased estimated revenues. And if the revenues do not materialize, WAF is creating a reserve fund to be established by March 31, 2014. The FY2015 budget calls for $2.3 million expenditures and a balanced budget. No debt is to be incurred by WAF.

3. MAY NEED MORE FAIRFAX COUNTY FUNDS. The plan envisions a feasibility study of renovating the mess hall into an events center that MAY require more county funds. John Mason stressed that there is no county commitment to provide more funds at this time.

4. LORTON MASTERPLAN BEING DEVELOPED. Our taxpayer group asked to review the Lorton Masterplan and proposed alternatives that could mean NO Fairfax money/risk in the future. In particular, we suggested a long-term lease, perhaps to a university that could offer degrees in computer design, animation, robotics (the FUTURE of ART).

We hope that Supervisor Herrity would convene more town hall meetings in the future as part of responsible leadership in order to engage taxpayers in the success of the Lorton Workhouse. We Fairfax County taxpayers own all the improvements, land, buildings in the Lorton Workhouse and it is imperative that we prevent another financial debacle that has already cost us a $30 million tax bill -- and we do need to ensure the success of OUR Lorton Workhouse. And let me thank John Mason for a most informative session with our group of taxpayers.

Corazon Sandoval Foley, Burke

Date: March 30, 2014 09:28PM

Is the Lorton Workhouse Arts Center (LWAC) really what is wanted, and needed, in Fairfax County?

I mean, if I wanted a hobby, I would use a part of my house, then if I wanted to sell my wares, participate in a craft show.

So the LWAC is just up the hill from the semi-annual arts and crafts show in Occoquan, which I think is a self-sustaining enterprise. The LWAC isn't.

If it were my vote, I'd re-zone that expanse of land to residential and retail areas, and even include some park areas, which would benefit far more of the county residents than the LWAC, in my opinion.

Shut of the funding (now!) for LWAC, I say.

Posted by: thaBBC168 ()
Date: March 30, 2014 10:36PM

1. Yall are Faggots

2. I just fucked a white slut from GMU at her house and just got home from driving in this shit weather.

3. She love dat black nigga COCK

Posted by: Nobody's surprised ()
Date: March 30, 2014 10:38PM

Was her name Sharon?

Posted by: pissed taxpayer ()
Date: April 23, 2014 06:08AM

Please lets clean house...get rid of each of the members of the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors!!!!! We need ethical people for Fairfax County!

Posted by: Pissed Taxpayer!!! ()
Date: April 23, 2014 06:12AM

PLEASE!!!! Let's clean house.....get rid of all of the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors! We need ethical people pulling for Fairfax County.

Posted by: Irrelevant babbling ()
Date: April 23, 2014 09:41AM

For all the horseshit people spew on this site, none makes me laugh more than the Sharon Bullover moron who is campaigning against Sharon who is not even fuckin running in the next election, she is retiring.

Also, what hell has broken loose in her tenure? The percentage of county budget from commercial sources went up, median income improved, unemployment remains at national lows, more businesses moved here.

Wah fuckin wah bitches, I dont see your moron candidates helping anyone.

Posted by: Truth Be Told... ()
Date: April 23, 2014 10:32AM

All these asshats are actually just the same little gaggle of time-wasting TEA Party incompetents babbling away about big government, high taxes, and their supposedly lost liberty and freedom. It's all a bunch of complete slop and hooey, and the best course of action for the rest of us is simply to continue laughing at but otherwise ignoring them. This is all just what the low-IQ people do to fill their otherwise purposeless days.

Posted by: Section 8 Sharon B. ()
Date: April 24, 2014 10:24AM

WTF do I care what it costs? It's only taxpayer money! Hahahahaha! Screw all you taxpayers!

Posted by: Reality sucks for ideologues... ()
Date: April 24, 2014 10:55AM

Truth Be Told... Wrote:
> All these asshats are actually just the same
> little gaggle of time-wasting TEA Party
> incompetents babbling away about big government,
> high taxes, and their supposedly lost liberty and
> freedom. It's all a bunch of complete slop and
> hooey, and the best course of action for the rest
> of us is simply to continue laughing at but
> otherwise ignoring them. This is all just what
> the low-IQ people do to fill their otherwise
> purposeless days.

^ Yeah, that's it. That's why the obviously ridiculous financing plan for the arts center worked out so well and why we're now having to use county money to bail it out. lol

Posted by: Shes not running anyways ()
Date: April 24, 2014 11:13AM

Reality sucks for ideologues... Wrote:
> Truth Be Told... Wrote:
> -----
> > All these asshats are actually just the same
> > little gaggle of time-wasting TEA Party
> > incompetents babbling away about big
> government,
> > high taxes, and their supposedly lost liberty
> and
> > freedom. It's all a bunch of complete slop and
> > hooey, and the best course of action for the
> rest
> > of us is simply to continue laughing at but
> > otherwise ignoring them. This is all just what
> > the low-IQ people do to fill their otherwise
> > purposeless days.
>
>
> ^ Yeah, that's it. That's why the obviously
> ridiculous financing plan for the arts center
> worked out so well and why we're now having to use
> county money to bail it out. lol

As opposed to the 400 million that the 460 bypass boondoggle as a corporate subsidy to freight will cost us when it gets shut down. Who proposed that again? Oh yea the republican VDOT head and the former corrupt republican VA Governor. Shit happens ass hat, I didn't agree with bailing out the Lorton Arts center, its a stupid location for that kind of thing, but I recognize that the board has been successful as fuck in terms of other things for the past decade so I guess everyone is allowed to make a mistake here and there

But by all means, lets elevate Pat Herrity and his dumbass to lord and savior of the county. Dumb shit

Posted by: Reality sucks for ideologues... ()
Date: April 24, 2014 12:44PM

Shes not running anyways Wrote:
> Reality sucks for ideologues... Wrote:
> -----
> > Truth Be Told... Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > All these asshats are actually just the same
> > > little gaggle of time-wasting TEA Party
> > > incompetents babbling away about big
> > government,
> > > high taxes, and their supposedly lost liberty
> > and
> > > freedom. It's all a bunch of complete slop
> and
> > > hooey, and the best course of action for the
> > rest
> > > of us is simply to continue laughing at but
> > > otherwise ignoring them. This is all just
> what
> > > the low-IQ people do to fill their otherwise
> > > purposeless days.
> >
> >
> > ^ Yeah, that's it. That's why the obviously
> > ridiculous financing plan for the arts center
> > worked out so well and why we're now having to
> use
> > county money to bail it out. lol
>
>
> As opposed to the 400 million that the 460 bypass
> boondoggle as a corporate subsidy to freight will
> cost us when it gets shut down. Who proposed that
> again? Oh yea the republican VDOT head and the
> former corrupt republican VA Governor. Shit
> happens ass hat, I didn't agree with bailing out
> the Lorton Arts center, its a stupid location for
> that kind of thing, but I recognize that the board
> has been successful as fuck in terms of other
> things for the past decade so I guess everyone is
> allowed to make a mistake here and there
>
> But by all means, lets elevate Pat Herrity and his
> dumbass to lord and savior of the county. Dumb
> shit

The BOS has been 'successful as fuck' only because of the luck that the wealth of the Federal presence here brings. Probably one of the easiest larger areas to manage anywhere. Beyond that they're mostly local knuckleheads who would be hard pressed to even run their HOA. I doubt more than 2 or 3 of them could even read a financial statement. Which leads to ridiculous excesses with no hope of ever even meeting operating expenses not to mention a huge debt service like the arts center. Which should be held up as an example so that they don't do dumb shit like that again.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.