HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Does VerizonFIOS(Fairfax County only) rat out customers for the RIAA or studios?(DMCA warning letters)
Posted by: Samantha_Oakton ()
Date: December 27, 2008 04:00PM

Does VerizonFIOS(Fairfax County only) rat out customers for the RIAA or studios?(DMCA warning letters)

I'm thinking about getting VerizonFIOS, which just became available on my street last week.... but not sure if I should ditch Cox Cable Modem service
and switch????

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Does VerizonFIOS(Fairfax County only) rat out customers for the RIAA or studios?(DMCA warning letters)
Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: December 27, 2008 04:26PM

FIOS is so much faster and feature-filled, ditch cox asap.

Thank you. (this is from a forced cox user who has seen several screaming fios connections serving unreal amounts of data..)

Re: Does VerizonFIOS(Fairfax County only) rat out customers for the RIAA or studios?(DMCA warning letters)
Date: December 27, 2008 04:27PM

And as far as ratting people out, what makes you ask that? No ISP I know of gives info w/o a subpoena.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2008 04:27PM by RESton Peace.

Posted by: tubby ()
Date: December 27, 2008 06:35PM

Samantha_Oakton Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Does VerizonFIOS(Fairfax County only) rat out
> customers for the RIAA or studios?(DMCA warning
> letters)
>
> I'm thinking about getting VerizonFIOS, which just
> became available on my street last week.... but
> not sure if I should ditch Cox Cable Modem service
>
> and switch????

I'd probably rat you out if I knew what the fuck you're talkin about!

Date: December 27, 2008 06:48PM

Now that I re-read that horrid english in the top post, I see he is complaining about the warning letters cox sends.

He or she is a moron. Those letters are the reverse of being ratted out.. it's cox's way of saying you were CAUGHT by the riaa or mpaa or the bsa. I reiterate that even cox doesn't just hand over info without court involvement.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2008 06:48PM by RESton Peace.

no need to worry.
Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: December 28, 2008 01:12AM

Music Industry to Abandon Mass Suits
After years of suing thousands of people for allegedly stealing music via the Internet, the recording industry is set to drop its legal assault as it searches for more effective ways to combat online music piracy.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: Bonfire ()
Date: December 29, 2008 09:59AM

So how long before you have to have a VISA to enter or leave fairfax county? I mean, its just such a Privilege to live here. I want guards at all the borders

Posted by: Sammy ()
Date: December 29, 2008 10:15AM

Samantha_Oakton Wrote:
> Does VerizonFIOS(Fairfax County only) rat out
> customers for the RIAA or studios?(DMCA warning
> letters)
>
> I'm thinking about getting VerizonFIOS, which just
> became available on my street last week.... but
> not sure if I should ditch Cox Cable Modem service
>
> and switch????

Ive had FIOS for two years and would not even consider switching back
to Cox. Cox service was lousy. Their customer service was a call center
in India and I had a difficult time communicating with them.
FIOS's customer service is in Parkersburg, W.Va and Ive never had
a problem. Watch your billing closely though. There have been a
couple of typo's (theirs), but it was easily resolved each time.

Posted by: Lurker. ()
Date: December 29, 2008 10:27AM

The RIAA has admitted now that the lawsuits have cost them more money then was ever recovered and they have had a hard time provening the thefts. They have now changed their tactics

Read on... http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2008/12/riaa-qualifies.html

You get three strikes -

The RIAA has sued more than 30,000 individuals the past few years, and has settled most of the cases out of court for a few thousand dollars. Under the RIAA's new strategy, internet service providers will notify (.pdf) alleged copyright infringers detected by the RIAA that they need to cease their alleged infringement of the industry's music. Three-time offenders face losing internet access.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2008 10:31AM by Lurker..

Posted by: DirtMcGirt ()
Date: December 29, 2008 11:17AM

No, you get a letter from your cable company or whatever telling you that so and so Music company contacted 'cable company' to inform them that you have downloaded 'this movie or this album' and that they are asking you to stop. That's the only thing that happens and it's usually because the movie industry and recording industry hires a 3rd party vendor to monitor IP packets coming out of torrent sites. From that (and it's legal) they can see to which IP address those packets are going to and from there they find out who you are from the cable company. So the cable companies, rather than giving these 3rd party vendors your info, they take it upon themselves to send the end user a letter. It would be illegal for them to provide the 3rd party vendor with who you are. The cable companies don't want to lose you as a user so it's not that big of a deal.

My advice, pay for an online newsgroup. They're faster and much more secure. (i.e, easynews, giganews)

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: December 29, 2008 10:08PM

Lurker. Wrote:
> Under the
> RIAA's new strategy, internet service providers
> will notify (.pdf) alleged copyright infringers
> detected by the RIAA that they need to cease their
> alleged infringement of the industry's music.
> Three-time offenders face losing internet access.

yeah... that's not going to work out. ISPs make money from people using their service. if an ISP bans a customer, they lose money. there is also the issue of freedom of speech on which there will be a massive pwning. in short, their new tactic is less likely to succeed than just suing people randomly.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: Adam ()
Date: January 03, 2009 05:56PM

90% of home users don't need anything faster then a cable modem. Obviously Fiber is the end game, but I'll wait tell prices come down for that.

My Cox Cable modem has worked absolute 100% perfect for the 3 years I've had it. 20mb/5mb.

Finally anyone that thinks Verizon has better customer service then Cox needs to get their head checked.

Adam

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: January 04, 2009 04:31PM

I've got to agree with Adam here.

Cox has helped me out many times, I've only needed a repairman twice and he's always been out next day, while with my Verizon phone, any time I need help I have to pay $200 and sign up for a new 2 year contract and they guy will be there bewtween ( am and 6 PM some time next week.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.