HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Venues for a Band to Perform
Posted by: ZB ()
Date: December 27, 2008 02:41AM

Does anybody know any good places for a band to preform?

Coffee Houses?
Small Amphitheaters?

Thanks,
ZB

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Venues for a Band to Perform
Posted by: Bob ()
Date: December 27, 2008 02:58AM

Open mics are good. There's that coffee shop in Vienna, too.

But really, what you need to do is find out who all the booking agents are. There used to be a few people in the DC area, like the booking agent for Cellar door. I don't know who has that power now, like they did at Cellar Door, when I was invited to the U2 Pop Mart tour anouncement, but there has to be people like that somewhere.

Don't count on being a good band, count on knowing the right people. There are "right people" in this area, and once you get to know them, you can work it to your advantage.

Pat McGee's mother and his brother know some people. Lynn McGee, if you can get to know her, can probably help you out.

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: December 27, 2008 06:07AM

I have friends who play in local bands and I might have some suggestions. What kind of music are you playing? FFX county really sucks if you're into anything punk/indie rock, but you might find places to book if you're a band playing covers or acoustic folk stuff.

Some mentioned Jammin Java in Vienna. I always thought that place was majorly lame, but it might be worth checking out depending on what kind of stuff you play.

ZB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Does anybody know any good places for a band to
> preform?

x
Posted by: inkahootz ()
Date: December 27, 2008 09:35AM

x

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2010 11:45PM by inkahootz.

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: December 27, 2008 09:43AM

inka has a decent list there, any place not left on the list will probably be suspect anyway.

Velvet lounge is really decent and gets good names sometimes.

s
Date: December 27, 2008 11:22AM

s

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2010 11:55PM by inkahootz.

Date: December 27, 2008 11:51AM

JAXX has a reputation for ripping bands off at the last minute. I know 2 bands that were promised a cut of the door cover, only to be rudely told at the end of the night "No money." I also know a band that had a tough time getting paid on several occassions at The Grog & Tankard, but that was long ago. The Asylum
is great, mostly caters to rock, but I know someone who did an acoustic set there that was well received. But I'm guessing if you want to play country-western or show tunes there, they'd probably turn you away.

Velvet Lounge is probably my favorite place on that list. The show space is pretty cramped, but for rock shows it's great, and the downstairs bar plays great music and can be a blast. Another good place is the Back Room at The Black Cat. During the week they'll book no-name acts, if you're looking to play out and get some stage practice. There's also a performance space near Court House that has bands sometimes, I can't think of the name of it right now, some kind of arts group runs it, I'll post it if I think of it later.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2008 11:53AM by TheMeeper.

Posted by: ZB ()
Date: December 27, 2008 12:01PM

Thanks alot everyone.

please keep it coming. =]

Thanks.
ZB

s
Date: December 27, 2008 12:49PM

ss

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2010 01:30PM by inkahootz.

Posted by: Radiophile ()
Date: December 27, 2008 01:21PM

Owners not paying the band???? God is this an old complaint.

The bad is news is you are a local band in a supposedly high rent area. While I do have sympathies towards the band, I also have sympathies to the owners and bookers - believe me they have been ripped off too.

So what do you do? First, get a website or at least a myspace page to announce your gigs. Owners like, or shall we say, insist on at least that.

Second og to WWW.pollstar.com and search Fairfax, DC and or Baltimore. Include nearby sities in your search - there is a link for this. See what venues actually have live music. Contact the booker. Have a press kit and sample cd ready - although they probably wont listen to the CD, but have it anyway.

Ask to be the warm up act. Offer to play for free if you want. Say "what is convienant for you" rather then "we are available X,Y, and Z days.

For instance, the Birchmere has been known to hire unknowns as opening acts. I remember seeing one show there and the opening act was a lady from Boston who drove down just to play for the 300 people who came to see another less known act. But to get a gig at the birchmere you have talent, persistance, and flexibility.

The world of Rock and Roll you will meet many interesting characters. In this dieing medium, live music will all be but a memory in 20 years. Lip Synching and dancing and "theater" type shows will continue to gain a audience while the 2 guitar, a bass and and a drummer band will go the way of the dinosaur.

I know - you dont believe me. GOOD! But I am right. Think about the number of acts that can possibly fill a stadium.... Ok and how old are those acts? U2 is probably the only band since the 80s that can do that. Music has changed quite a bit. The distribution of music has changed. The economics of the business has changed. Good luck.

Acts that require at least $1 million dollars per show
Springsteen
Jimmy buffett
Tina Turner
Simon & Garfunkle
Rolling Stones
Billy Joel
Paul McCartney
U2
Madonna

Notice a pattern? Artists can make $1 million plus per show playing indoors! So why do stadiums? For the fans... Right....

Date: December 27, 2008 01:34PM

inkahootz Wrote:
>> Velvet Lounge..... is that the forces you to use him as the sound guy, and he is terrible.

My friends recorded their first album live at Velvet Lounge and it actually sounded great, so I guess your mileage may vary. They did mix it themselves, though.

>> JAXX is horrible,

Despite it's bizarre location, I think JAXX is alright. I like the club's layout, the way it's sorta wider than it is deep, and the sound system is great. My biggest complaint is that ticket prices are always much higher than other clubs. As far as the owner, Jay seems like a real friendly guy when you talk to him, but he is a lawyer too, so I guess he knows how to muscle bands around and act like a dick to them and get away with it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2008 01:38PM by TheMeeper.

Posted by: Awakened ()
Date: December 27, 2008 09:34PM

on the back of a pickup truck during a traffic jam in Fairfax

Posted by: MrMephisto ()
Date: December 28, 2008 04:04PM

Jaxx is great to perform in; the lights, sound, etc. are pretty top notch, and if the sound guy likes you, you'll sound great.

But then again, you have to sell 50 pre-sale tickets, drinks are overpriced, and it's not remotely metro accessible. Last time I played there, there was a contract stipulating how much you're going to make, but the unspoken agreement is that you're not coming back if you don't sell them all.

I don't like that business model, but it exists, and if you can't bring 50 people, don't even bother going there. I brought my people, played my set, and didn't give anybody any shit. Never had a problem. Jay Nedry wouldn't remember my name if you had a gun to his head, but he remembers that I sell my fifty, and I can play there whenever they have an opening.

Posted by: Lurker. ()
Date: December 28, 2008 04:46PM

Inka's list +1

I would add Sullys in Chantilly, Kilroy's & Sunset Grille.

http://www.mysullys.com/
http://thesunsetgrille.com/index.htm

Posted by: ITRADE ()
Date: December 30, 2008 10:19AM

Ive heard lots of bands at Jammin' Java.

Posted by: sinfulgirl ()
Date: December 30, 2008 10:57AM

Adding to the list:

Springfield:
Fast Eddies
JWs & Friends
Moe's Peyton Place (complete dive but they let anyone play)
Springfield Hilton

Fairfax: O'Briens Grille

Alexandria/Lorton: Fireside Grill and Pane Vino
PW County: Oasis (new management)

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: December 31, 2008 10:02PM

JV's

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.