HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Mystery Objects in Skys Over NOVA and DC Suburbs? Military Blimps?
Posted by: Two Ships? ()
Date: September 16, 2014 01:59PM

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/wp/2014/09/16/what-in-the-world-were-those-white-objects-hovering-over-washington-d-c/

On Monday morning, small white objects flew high in the sky over Washington, D.C. No one seems to know what they were.
Reader Rob Pierce describes what he saw: “I noticed these white spots in the sky in the west, in the vicinity of the moon . . . They didn’t appear to be moving at all, so not planes or small bits of cloud, and they seemed to be too small or high to be helicopters holding position. My best guess was balloons?”

http://rt.com/usa/army-raytheon-jlens-blimps-594/ ?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mystery Objects in Skys Over NOVA and DC Suburbs? Military Blimps?
Posted by: Maybe? ()
Date: September 16, 2014 02:03PM

A pair of high-tech Army blimps is coming to the greater Washington, DC area, and soon they will be able to provide the military with surveillance powers that spans hundreds of millions of acres from North Carolina to Niagara Falls, Canada.

Once above the nation’s capital, JLENS will allow the Army to see for 320 miles in any direction from 10,000 feet above the earth. The system can be set up to operate on its own for an entire month without requiring refueling, and offers the Pentagon surveillance capabilities that dwarf other options at a penny of the cost.

Its manufactures say JLENS “enables commanders to defend against threats including hostile cruise missiles, low-flying manned and unmanned aircraft, tactical ballistic missiles, large caliber rockets and moving surface vehicles such as boats, SCUD-launchers, automobiles and tanks.”

“Affordable defense from real world threats,” Raytheon touts the system on its website.

To provide that security, though, the Army will send its integrated pair of airships — around 75 yards in length each — high into the sky carrying “powerful radars that can look deep into enemy territory.” First, however, the residents of the metropolitan Washington, DC area — and those in around a dozen states stretching the mid-Atlantic into New England — will be asked to ignore a pair of sophisticated spying machines.

Posted by: crawl of cthulhurt ()
Date: September 16, 2014 06:03PM

so it's a flying warpig balloon

not the pink floyd pig balloon from their new cover of "animals"

when warpigs fly...
Attachments:
618w_pink_floyd_battersea_station_2.jpg

Posted by: ohweshoisfuckednow ()
Date: September 16, 2014 08:21PM

Dad, they saw yer pot plant by the 'maters!

Posted by: I found out! ()
Date: September 17, 2014 02:26PM

Looks like they’re Aerial imaging balloons by Digital Design & Imaging Service. Not the military blimps (which do not come out until December per NORAD).

Per commenter on Washington Post
Aerial imaging balloons by Digital Design & Imaging Service Inc. (http://airphotoslive.com/). I saw their truck with a balloon outside my work in SW the other day - they had a pretty neat set-up.

More info here: http://www.popville.com/2014/03/about-that-balloon-in-the-sky-over-dupont/
Attachments:
dupont_balloon.png

Posted by: I found out! ()
Date: September 17, 2014 02:28PM

Sorry forgot to post this...
Attachments:
Washington Post Update.png

Posted by: DCEYE ()
Date: September 18, 2014 07:57PM

Maybe? Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A pair of high-tech Army blimps is coming to the
> greater Washington, DC area, and soon they will be
> able to provide the military with surveillance
> powers that spans hundreds of millions of acres
> from North Carolina to Niagara Falls, Canada.
>

if the associated press says that - then i should beleive we are under attack by gang of criminals in control of foreign weapons

what did stars and stripes report?

Posted by: puddenshead ()
Date: September 18, 2014 09:08PM

Cool--sort of like Google earth in real time for those who can log on to watch it!

Posted by: Blimpees ()
Date: December 20, 2014 11:38PM

I see the blimpees are back now

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.