HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
"FREE VALET PARKKING" at Tysons Galleria Mall really means "$10 tip, please!"
Posted by: ribbonink ()
Date: December 24, 2008 02:02AM

"FREE VALET PARKKING" at Tysons Galleria Mall really means "$10 tip, please!"

is this unreasonable?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: "FREE VALET PARKKING" at Tysons Galleria Mall really means "$10 tip, please!"
Posted by: Nope ()
Date: December 24, 2008 02:08AM

No. If you are going for Valet Parking you should be prepared to pay for it. Never mind the fact that anytime someone provides you with a service, you should tip.

Re: "FREE VALET PARKKING" at Tysons Galleria Mall really means "$10 tip, please!"
Posted by: Bob ()
Date: December 24, 2008 02:36AM

You know you can also tip $2, or $5.

Being too lazy to park and walk does have a price, you know?

Posted by: Junes ()
Date: December 24, 2008 08:54AM

FYI: A tip is VOLUNTARY. Of course, I would be careful to make a mental note of the person retrieving your vehicle so not to entrust my car to him/her again.

Personally, I avoid Tysons because it is one of the worst planned shopping malls I've seen in the country to date.

The Tysons area is an excellent example of the disasterous effect of Urban Sprawl.

Posted by: tubby ()
Date: December 24, 2008 11:09AM

I always tip the folks that can fuck up my shit...and I tip well.

But I'm a big tipper in general, it just makes life easier.

The girls at my barber shop fight over me when I walk in (NO waiting either).

My car inspection guy knows he's going to get at least a twenty, so I don't wait there either (and my shit passes).

These are but a few examples.

Posted by: Marko ()
Date: December 24, 2008 11:59AM

they drove my car for 30 miles.

normally, I would not have know...... but I had just picked up my car
from HBL Audi which is only about 1 mile from the mall. When I got into
the car, I was looking at the service receipt and the check-out mileage
matched what it said on my odometer, 3582 miles. I drove the 1 mile to
the mall. Handed over my keys. Had dinner with friends. 2 and half
hours later, I got my car back. Drove 3 miles home. It read 3612 miles!!!
the image of Ferris Bueler immediately came to my mind.... but what can I
do?

Date: December 24, 2008 02:53PM

tubby Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> My car inspection guy knows he's going to get at
> least a twenty, so I don't wait there either (and
> my shit passes).

Now Tubby, I hope you're exaggerating for effect because it is illegal to "tip" a representative of a State Agency (DOT). It's also known as a bribe.

If word gets out that you're paying the inspection agent "a little extra on the side" it could mean his job.

Date: December 24, 2008 03:25PM

Junes Wrote:
> tubby Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> > My car inspection guy knows he's going to get
> at
> > least a twenty, so I don't wait there either
> (and
> > my shit passes).
>
> Now Tubby, I hope you're exaggerating for effect
> because it is illegal to "tip" a representative of
> a State Agency (DOT). It's also known as a
> bribe.
>
> If word gets out that you're paying the inspection
> agent "a little extra on the side" it could mean
> his job.

Yes, the part about "my shit passes" was a gross exaggeration.

I tip him/her for the fast and courteous service provided...I certainly want a thorough inspection of my vehicle, who wouldn't?

I would, however, be curious to see the section of the Code that forbids the acceptance of gratuities by civilian employees of private businesses such as a service station. If true, I would certainly cease and desist the practice.

Posted by: 70chip ()
Date: December 24, 2008 03:50PM

Are you kidding? I don't know an inspection agent around here that doesn't expect a bribe for a new sticker. How do you think most of these old rice burner beaner beaters continue to pass?? you believe their up to code? Just go where they go, and grease the palm that feeds. Thats the American way.

Date: December 24, 2008 07:03PM

tubby Wrote:
> > tubby Wrote:
> >
> > My car inspection guy knows he's going to get
> > at
> > > least a twenty, so I don't wait there either
> > (and
> > > my shit passes).
> >
> > Now Tubby, I hope you're exaggerating for
> effect
> > because it is illegal to "tip" a representative
> of
> > a State Agency (DOT). It's also known as a
> > bribe.
> >
> > If word gets out that you're paying the
> inspection
> > agent "a little extra on the side" it could
> mean
> > his job.
>
>
> Yes, the part about "my shit passes" was a gross
> exaggeration.
>
> I tip him/her for the fast and courteous service
> provided...I certainly want a thorough inspection
> of my vehicle, who wouldn't?
>
> I would, however, be curious to see the section of
> the Code that forbids the acceptance of gratuities
> by civilian employees of private businesses such
> as a service station. If true, I would certainly
> cease and desist the practice.

Actually, I'm a little surprised the agent even accepted your "gratuity." Inspection agents are not hired by the service centers. They are licensed agents of the State, working at state approved service centers. They are held to the same ethical standards as any other State Representative. If their actions are found to be suspect, their license can be revoked.

Agents who are "above board," do not accept a "gratuity" for an auto inspection. It can be too easily mistcontrued as suspect. A $20 tip isn't worth jeopardizing their license and livelihood.

You may want to give serious consideration to your cease and desist idea.

Date: December 24, 2008 07:46PM

>"....Inspection agents are not hired by the service centers. They are licensed >agents of the State, working at state approved service centers."

Don't get carried away there, Junes. The guy that inspects your car absolutely IS hired by the service center, be it a gas station, independent garage, or car dealership. A car inspector in not an employee of the State in any way, shape or form.

Yes, he needs a license from the State to inspect cars. But so does your barber to cut your hair, your dental hygienicist, your pharmacist and so on.

Date: December 25, 2008 05:43AM

tubby Wrote:
> >"....Inspection agents are not hired by the
> service centers. They are licensed >agents of the
> State, working at state approved service
> centers."
>
> Don't get carried away there, Junes. The guy that
> inspects your car absolutely IS hired by the
> service center, be it a gas station, independent
> garage, or car dealership. A car inspector in not
> an employee of the State in any way, shape or
> form.
>
> Yes, he needs a license from the State to inspect
> cars. But so does your barber to cut your hair,
> your dental hygienicist, your pharmacist and so
> on.

You're mistaken Tubby!

Happy Holiday!

Posted by: Mrs. K ()
Date: December 26, 2008 12:12PM

Mr. K is licensed to do inspections. Mechanics/auto techs are issued licenses after they pass the state inspectors tests. It doesn't matter who the mechanic/tech works for - if they misuse the license (like taking a bribe) then the state can revoke the license.

The mechanic/tech who inspects vehicles is paid by whomever he works for. In the case of a private business, the mechanic/tech is paid by the owner of the shop to find things wrong with the car he is inspecting, in order to make money off of those repairs. The state wants cars to meet certain criteria, and the shop will make money off of those repairs. It's a win/win for the shop and the state.

Date: December 26, 2008 01:01PM

Mrs K, does Mr. K receive an "hourly rate paycheck" from the service center where he works, or does he receive a percentage of the inspection fee?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/26/2008 01:02PM by Junes.

Date: December 26, 2008 01:14PM

Mr. K does not currently work for a private business -- he works for the Feds.

When he worked for a private business, he received his hourly paycheck, plus commission. I saw his paystub, and it did not break out any specific amount for inspection work. The owners of the shop collected payment for the inspections.

Date: December 26, 2008 01:35PM

This is interesting - "hourly" plus commission. If he was the inspection agent, then this sounds like he was paid a set fee to be on-site (sort of an incentive to come in every day), and his "commission" was a percentage of the inspection fees.

As an FYI: Just because the service center "collects" the payment does not mean they are "paid" for the service.

I have an email pending to DMV to find out just how this all works. But, my gut tells me that Mr K probably never was an "hourly employee" of the service center.

Date: December 26, 2008 04:39PM

June, I love how you are quick to call other people liars when you don't even know the facts.

Most mechanics that work for private businesses are not paid a traditional "salary." Many are paid by labor hour worked (with a minimum of clock hours that they are expected to be at the shop.) Labor hours do not equal clock hours. For instance, if the book says that something takes 5 labor hours and a good mechanic can get it done in 3 hours, that is cream for the business and mechanic. Some companies offer additional commissions or bonuses for upselling or exceeding quotas. A good mechanic with a following can make 100K a year.

As for the mechanic/tech who does ONLY inspection work, they often work out a deal with the service center to get paid on a percentage of the work they bring in through the inspections. Plus they sometimes get to keep the inspection fee.

Date: December 27, 2008 01:51AM

Mrs. K Wrote:

> As for the mechanic/tech who does ONLY inspection
> work, they often work out a deal with the service
> center to get paid on a percentage of the work
> they bring in through the inspections. Plus they
> sometimes get to keep the inspection fee.

I believe that's what I said. Reading Comprehension is a good skill to master before making unfounded allegations.

Date: December 27, 2008 04:29PM

June,
One of the hallmarks of responsible leadership is accepting that you could be wrong, and changing your course of action when you realize that others know more about something than you do.

Just something to keep in mind with your future plans...

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: December 27, 2008 04:42PM

meow, ladies, meow.

Posted by: ferfux ()
Date: December 27, 2008 05:09PM

"PARKKING"

are you insinuating that the PARKKING is a white supremacist plot? Hmmmmmm?!?!?!?!

Date: December 27, 2008 07:00PM

Mrs. K Wrote:
> June,
> One of the hallmarks of responsible leadership is
> accepting that you could be wrong, and changing
> your course of action when you realize that others
> know more about something than you do.
>
> Just something to keep in mind with your future
> plans...

Retract the claws Mrs. K. Would you like a bowl of cream with that?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2008 07:02PM by Junes.

Date: December 27, 2008 07:46PM

cant we all just get along

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted by: oaktonmom ()
Date: December 27, 2008 08:37PM

I've read some pretty good debates/arguments on the FU. For example, the entertaining one taking place between Bob, Boob, and several others. I call foul that this little skirmish between Junes and Mrs. K is being called a cat fight. Sexist double standard. But carry on, I do enjoy the banter.

(maybe Mrs.K and Junes would have more street cred if they agreed to meet in a dark alley ... or at the main entrance of Fair Oaks Mall)

Date: December 27, 2008 08:48PM

you know what would be really not sexsist? of oakten mom Mrs K and Junes met at fairoaks mall and dressed in tight white tshirts and had a throw down in the main square fountain there...... awesome

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2008 08:49PM by ferfux.

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: December 27, 2008 08:52PM

Isn't Junes a guy?

Date: December 27, 2008 09:08PM

TheMeeper Wrote:
> Isn't Junes a guy?

uh, Reading comprehension there meeper, oh and you had like, totally several mispelled words and like stuff in that sentence fragmentaion there. Oh so witty comeback throwing FACTS in our faces that are unsubstantiated, and well SO WHAT if ive been MAYBE drinking, drinking what? you DONT KNOW!? come on MEEPER you can do better than THAT! oh OH what are you gonna do post a pic of "Jesus thinks you are a dumb ass! or OR PWONED or something. oh yeah REAL MATURE! "whatever CHIEF" as the saying goes, Can we JUSt get back to whats important in life? Oakten Mom, MRs K and June or Junes, mom, wife, sister or some female variety of relative getting naked and WRESTLING in the middle of fairOaks Mall? huh? Can we DO that before the GOSH DARN mall closes at 9:30? OK!?!? cuz then if it doesnt happen before closing time we have to BREAK IN and we get caught it becomes a whole THING!<!<!!<!<!<! Come ON WORK WITH ME PEOPLE!

Date: December 27, 2008 09:15PM

ferfux Wrote:
>>>> uh, Reading comprehension there meeper, oh and you had like, totally several mispelled words and like stuff in that sentence fragmentaion there. Oh so witty comeback throwing FACTS in our faces that are unsubstantiated, and well SO WHAT if ive been MAYBE drinking, drinking what? you DONT KNOW!? come on MEEPER you can do better than THAT! oh OH what are you gonna do post a pic of "Jesus thinks you are a dumb ass! or OR PWONED or something. oh yeah REAL MATURE! "whatever CHIEF" as the saying goes, Can we JUSt get back to whats important in life? Oakten Mom, MRs K and June or Junes, mom, wife, sister or some female variety of relative getting naked and WRESTLING in the middle of fairOaks Mall? huh? Can we DO that before the GOSH DARN mall closes at 9:30? OK!?!? cuz then if it doesnt happen before closing time we have to BREAK IN and we get caught it becomes a whole THING!<!<!!<!<!<! Come ON WORK WITH ME PEOPLE!

Maybe we do need more funding for our schools.

Posted by: oaktonmom ()
Date: December 27, 2008 09:16PM

Now this is a fun thread!

Date: December 27, 2008 09:35PM

ok wait a minute. I got excellent grades and im going to an excellent school. BUT its now 9:33 and there is NO NUDE WRESTLING going on. Damnit! I am breaking out to walmart and buying a kiddie pool and variety pack of assorted jellys and throwing my own gosh darned party! who's with me? Cheebugger Cheebugger cheebugger ASK A CHOLA!

Date: December 27, 2008 10:11PM

haha ferfux, you know im just breakin balls, just stop ignoring FU while you're away at school, it was funnier here when you posted every day

Obligatory On-Topic post: Paying 10 bucks each way for valet parking at Tysons is ridiculous. Ridiculous for any of those restaurants. Valet parking is great when you're in an urban area where parking is scarce and a challenge. It's worth it in a city. But, at the mall??

I could understand throwing a fiver on the way in and another 5 on the way out around Tysons if you're looking to drive in quick and get away quick. But 10 each way, forget it. I'd never even use the valet service at Tysons mall because I live in the neighborhood and know which lots to go to. But if you do want valet, to hell with 10 bucks each way. If that's what they expect, let those nudnicks go park cars somewhere else and see how much they are tipped.

ferfux Wrote:
> ok wait a minute. I got excellent grades and im
> going to an excellent school. BUT its now 9:33 and
> there is NO NUDE WRESTLING going on. Damnit! I
> am breaking out to walmart and buying a kiddie
> pool and variety pack of assorted jellys and
> throwing my own gosh darned party! who's with me?
> Cheebugger Cheebugger cheebugger ASK A CHOLA!

Posted by: ThePooper ()
Date: December 28, 2008 05:53AM

Way to ride his dick, Meeper. You must be a fag!

TheMeeper Wrote:
> haha ferfux, you know im just breakin balls, just
> stop ignoring FU while you're away at school, it
> was funnier here when you posted every day
>
>
> Obligatory On-Topic post: Paying 10 bucks each
> way for valet parking at Tysons is ridiculous.
> Ridiculous for any of those restaurants. Valet
> parking is great when you're in an urban area
> where parking is scarce and a challenge. It's
> worth it in a city. But, at the mall??
>
> I could understand throwing a fiver on the way in
> and another 5 on the way out around Tysons if
> you're looking to drive in quick and get away
> quick. But 10 each way, forget it. I'd never
> even use the valet service at Tysons mall because
> I live in the neighborhood and know which lots to
> go to. But if you do want valet, to hell with 10
> bucks each way. If that's what they expect, let
> those nudnicks go park cars somewhere else and see
> how much they are tipped.
>
>
>
>
>
> ferfux Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > ok wait a minute. I got excellent grades and im
> > going to an excellent school. BUT its now 9:33
> and
> > there is NO NUDE WRESTLING going on. Damnit!
> I
> > am breaking out to walmart and buying a kiddie
> > pool and variety pack of assorted jellys and
> > throwing my own gosh darned party! who's with
> me?
> > Cheebugger Cheebugger cheebugger ASK A CHOLA!

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.