HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Senator Webb sent out emails to Fairfax residents.... NO INAUGURATION TICKET FOR YOU!
Posted by: noticketforyou ()
Date: December 24, 2008 01:48AM

Senator Webb sent out emails to Fairfax residents.... NO INAUGURATION TICKET FOR YOU!

just got the email last night.... :(

no explanation on how they decided who's good enough to get ticket...

by contrast, Congressman Wolf(representing parts of Fairfax County)
at least said there will be a lottery to see who gets the ticket,
which seems more fair to me...

Oh wait.... Webb is a democrat and Wolf is a republican.... what's wrong here?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Senator Webb sent out emails to Fairfax residents.... NO INAUGURATION TICKET FOR YOU!
Posted by: Bob ()
Date: December 24, 2008 01:50AM

noticketforyou Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Senator Webb sent out emails to Fairfax
> residents.... NO INAUGURATION TICKET FOR YOU!
>
> just got the email last night.... :(
>
>
> no explanation on how they decided who's good
> enough to get ticket...
>
>
>
> by contrast, Congressman Wolf(representing parts
> of Fairfax County)
> at least said there will be a lottery to see who
> gets the ticket,
> which seems more fair to me...
>
> Oh wait.... Webb is a democrat and Wolf is a
> republican.... what's wrong here?

Must be because he's a democrat. Yeah, that's it.

Maybe the guy's just a prick??? Ever gave that any thought?

Re: Senator Webb sent out emails to Fairfax residents.... NO INAUGURATION TICKET FOR YOU!
Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: December 24, 2008 01:54AM

Webb is kind of a dick, trust me, as a dick myself, I know what to look for.

Posted by: Lurker. ()
Date: December 24, 2008 02:43AM

I'm signed up but have not got an email.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: December 24, 2008 04:58AM

post email or stfu.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: Junes ()
Date: December 24, 2008 08:44AM

Webb is arrogant and off-putting. As a Senator, he is a disgrace and anyone who thinks he cares a whit about American Citizens in his district (other than businesses looking for cheap labor), they are delusional.

Posted by: Michelle ()
Date: December 24, 2008 09:22AM

Who in their right mind would WANT to go to the Obamination anyway?

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: December 24, 2008 09:24AM

Michelle Wrote:
> Who in their right mind would WANT to go to the
> Obamination anyway?

Vince(1) would... oh wait... nevermind.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Date: December 24, 2008 09:38AM

noticketforyou Wrote:
> Senator Webb sent out emails to Fairfax
> residents.... NO INAUGURATION TICKET FOR YOU!
>
> just got the email last night.... :(
>
>
> no explanation on how they decided who's good
> enough to get ticket...
>
>
>
> by contrast, Congressman Wolf(representing parts
> of Fairfax County)
> at least said there will be a lottery to see who
> gets the ticket,
> which seems more fair to me...
>
> Oh wait.... Webb is a democrat and Wolf is a
> republican.... what's wrong here?

Webb's supporters have already inundated him with requests and his tickets are probably all gone. Since Wolf is a Republican, fewer of his constituents have requested tickets so he has some available for a random drawing.

I heard on the news the other day that the congressman from Wyoming is getting inundated with requests from people outside of Wyoming because they assume nobody from his state wants to go.

Posted by: tubby ()
Date: December 24, 2008 11:00AM

Do you think it makes a difference that Webb holds statewide office and Wolf represents a few neighborhoods?

That said, the big contributors get the tickets! You shoulda sent Webb 10 grand.

Posted by: pgens ()
Date: December 24, 2008 12:00PM

Finally, someone gets it. They don't give these away to everyday schmucks who may not have as much as voted for them, let alone contributed to the campaign. These go out as campaign rewards, why bother asking for them unless you worked on a campaign?

Re: Senator Webb sent out emails
Posted by: Thomas More ()
Date: December 24, 2008 01:27PM

I've had 2 occasions to write Senator Webb in the past 6 months. In each case the reply was a form letter that did not address the specifics of my letter, was untruthful, illogical, condescending and dismissive.

In one case the reply came back more than 1 month after the vote which my letter addressed had occurred and 2 months after my letter was sent.

In each case I drafted the letter myself and didn't cut and paste it from some pre-written garbage provided by an advocacy group.

This kind of treatment appears to be a developing pattern with his office.

For a guy who only won by 9,000 votes, he and his staff sure are treating his constituents with disrespect.

Posted by: CB-3LW ()
Date: December 24, 2008 02:30PM

politician will only kiss your asses when they need your votes...

(or when you have several thousand dollars to contribute to their
re-election campaign)

besides, why would you want to stand for hours in freezing(or worse) weather
and watch a ceremony that only take minutes. (not counting the speech)

Watch it at home on you HDTV. You can watch it in comfort: naked with a 6-pack.

Date: December 24, 2008 02:41PM

Thomas More Wrote:
> I've had 2 occasions to write Senator Webb in the
> past 6 months. In each case the reply was a form
> letter that did not address the specifics of my
> letter, was untruthful, illogical, condescending
> and dismissive.

If it helps, you're not alone. Many of us who wrote to him with concerns or sugestions were treated the same way.

He's in the pockets of big business and could care less about the little guys.

Posted by: 70chip ()
Date: December 24, 2008 02:48PM

Junes Wrote:
> He's in the pockets of big business and could care
> less about the little guys.

And for good reason.. Big Business lines his pockets, gets his kids into the best schools, and provides his wife w/ Board of Director gigs that pay 200K+ a year. Little people are that... little in the grand scheme of things. Merry Christmas.

Date: December 24, 2008 02:50PM

I've always thought Webb was kind of a prick. Maybe he won't run next time around and give Tim Kaine a shot.

Posted by: 70chip ()
Date: December 24, 2008 03:59PM

Tim Kaine? The lib who refuses to clean up death row and believes cold blooded killers are the real victims. great.

Posted by: dono ()
Date: December 24, 2008 06:47PM

Webb's communication sucks. I have contacted him several times. If he responds, it is usually to say he cannot respond.

At least Davis writes back.

Posted by: tubby ()
Date: December 24, 2008 08:06PM

I think US Senators consider "constituent service" to be the domain of US Congressmen. They can intervene on your behalf, but will only if you have an "in" with them.

Otherwise, write your Congressman...

Posted by: Bob ()
Date: December 24, 2008 09:13PM

tubby Wrote:
> I think US Senators consider "constituent service"
> to be the domain of US Congressmen. They can
> intervene on your behalf, but will only if you
> have an "in" with them.
>
> Otherwise, write your Congressman...

I think you are right. Don't Senators tend to view themselves as the "landed gentry" or something along those lines, while they view congressmen as the representatives of "the commoners"?

Date: December 24, 2008 10:11PM

tubby Wrote:
> > I think US Senators consider "constituent service" to be the domain of US Congressmen. They can intervene on your behalf, but will only if you have an "in" with them.<

I was righting Webb about a matter before the Senate, my Congressman couldn't help.

> > Otherwise, write your Congressman...< <

And my Congressman is Moran who never ventures into the part of his district outside of Alexandria, where he used to be mayor.

As far as that arrogant prick is concerned, I have no Congressman.

I'm hoping to get redistricted to Connolly after the '10 census.

Moran is a complete waste of time if you don't live in Alexandria.

Date: December 24, 2008 10:33PM

Moran is a complete waste of time for anyone who doesn't have a fat wallet and no scruples.

Date: December 25, 2008 09:31AM

I'm no Republican, but Frank Wolf has phenomenal constituent service. If you ever have a problem he might be able to help you with, I would recommend you contact his office.

Posted by: Janz ()
Date: December 25, 2008 11:34AM

Maybe you should try forwarding your requests to him in Vietnamese..... :)

Posted by: Mike ()
Date: December 25, 2008 10:09PM

At least he's not Allen. He was a bigger douche than Webb could ever be, even if he tried.

Date: December 25, 2008 10:31PM

Mike Wrote:
> > At least he's not Allen. He was a bigger douche than Webb could ever be, even if he tried.< <

True that.

That is damning with faint praise.

Date: December 26, 2008 09:47AM

Mike Wrote:
> At least he's not Allen. He was a bigger douche
> than Webb could ever be, even if he tried.

I never get tired of seeing this self-immolation....

Posted by: Lurker. ()
Date: December 26, 2008 10:06AM

I haven't met Webb, but I have met Tom Davis and was very impressed. Davis also brings in big Federal contracts for companies in Fairfax county.

Posted by: BorrowAndSpendDebtpulicansUnite ()
Date: December 26, 2008 01:09PM

it goes in stages....

Webb is vastly superior to Allen. Webb is working to repair the damage of the Bush economic disaster. Sadly putting a moron in the WH and giving him 6 years of Debptpublican Congress takes more than 2 years to fix and is not cheap.

Date: December 26, 2008 01:20PM

In webb's defense, your representative was the individual envisioned by the framers to be responsible for your contact as a citizen with the government. Senators were supposed to be able to "hunker down" and use the longer term to get substantive things done.

Remember, senators were elected by state legislators back then, not popular vote as they are now. As the people gained the pop. vote for senators, the public view of their role got kinda skewed. But, that's part of the deal and they should live with it (the senators, I mean).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/26/2008 01:24PM by RESton Peace.

Posted by: Voter ()
Date: December 29, 2008 07:33AM

This is the e-mail I received a couple of days ago from Gerry Connolly:

Thank you for contacting Congressman-Elect Gerry Connolly with your request for tickets to the inauguration of President-Elect Barack Obama. The interest in this inauguration is a testament to the excitement he has inspired. Our office has received more than 10,000 requests for tickets from constituents to the swearing-in ceremony. Unfortunately, we will receive fewer than 200 tickets from the Inaugural Committee. As you are probably aware, we will be conducting a lottery to determine the recipients of those tickets. Lottery winners will receive two tickets. The drawing will be held on Tuesday, December 30th. You will receive an email notifying you if you have won. Please do not unsubscribe from this list or mark this email as spam, or you will not be able to receive your email on the 30th.

If you are not selected through the drawing to receive tickets, it's important for you to know that you can still attend the inauguration. Those with tickets are in an area closer to the swearing-in, but most of the mall is open to the general public. A map explaining the ticketed and non-ticketed areas can be found here.

With an expected crowd as high as 5 million, transportation in and out of the city on Inauguration Day will be difficult, and require advanced planning. The Virginia Railway Express has additional Inauguration Day trains, and is selling tickets for Inauguration Day here.

Another alternative is to Metro into the city. Details on Metro schedule changes and suggestions for Inauguration Day are here.

Local commuter buses will also be running for the inauguration, but have not yet announced any specific changes to the daily schedule.

Thank you for all of your work to help elect Democrats this year,

Donald Brownlee

Gerry Connolly for Congress

Date: December 29, 2008 05:24PM

tubby Wrote:
> I think US Senators consider "constituent service"
> to be the domain of US Congressmen. They can
> intervene on your behalf, but will only if you
> have an "in" with them.

You mean like the time Webb "convinced" an immigration judge to reverse his deportation ruling for a kid in Springfield, giving him a free pass? That was last year and the kid is living large in Fairfax County. I bet Mom is even getting benefits and services for him.

Date: December 30, 2008 04:41PM

I just received a "canned" email from the Obama administration asking for a donation. Here's your chance.

Barack Obama will be sworn in as President of the United States of America on January 20th, 2009.

It will be an unprecedented event in the history of our country, and hundreds of thousands of people will come together in Washington, D.C. to share the moment.

Supporters like you made this happen. You know that real change comes from the bottom up, not from the top down, and Barack and Joe want you to join them on this historic day. They want to start off this administration with the people who worked so hard and will continue to fight for change with them.

Between now and January 8th, 10 supporters and their guests will be selected to join the Inaugural activities.

If you make a donation -- in any amount -- to make the Inauguration a success, you and a guest could be flown to Washington, D.C., put up in a hotel, and be there as Barack is sworn in as the 44th President.

Make a donation of $5 or more right now. You and a guest could receive your ticket to history.

Unlike past inaugurations, this year's event will not be paid for by Washington lobbyists or corporations.

This campaign was funded by 4 million ordinary people giving only what they could afford, and Barack and Joe are counting on you again. Help start this administration off right -- independent of the special interest donors who have shaped Washington for too long.

This Inauguration will be open to as many Americans as possible. We'll all come together to celebrate the hope and optimism that define this movement for change.

But you could be one of 10 selected to join us in Washington for all Inaugural events. Any donation you make between now and January 8th counts -- whatever you can afford.

Show your support for a different kind of politics and a different kind of inauguration with a donation of $5 or more today:

https://donate.pic2009.org/tickettohistory

The Inauguration will be a once-in-a-lifetime event. I hope you can join us.

Thank you,

David Plouffe
Campaign Manager
Obama for America

Posted by: Voter ()
Date: December 31, 2008 12:36PM

Here's the latest from Connolly. Guess I won't be going...

Thank you for contacting the office of Congressman-Elect Gerry Connolly with your request for tickets to President-Elect Obama's Inauguration. We will be sending emails to lottery winners in the next few minutes. If you do not receive a subsequent email from us today, your name was not selected in the lottery.

As we mentioned previously, we received more than 10,000 requests for fewer than 200 tickets. We made a decision early in the process that a lottery was the only fair way to distribute the tickets. The lottery was conducted yesterday using random number generation. All 10,000 requests had an equal opportunity to be selected as a lottery winner.

Please remember that you do not need a ticket to attend the Inauguration in areas designated for the public. Our office will be happy to answer any questions you might have about attending the swearing-in ceremony or other inaugural events. Please don't hesitate to contact us if we can be of any assistance.

Donald Brownlee

Connolly for Congress

Posted by: Jimnva ()
Date: January 03, 2009 07:20PM

Webb is a piece of crap anyway... Who would want to go to that stupid Inauguration anyway? It'll be like a hootanani in harlem... Obama is a real bad mistake!

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.