HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Obscure Traffic Law = 6 point ticket misdemeanor
Posted by: average joe ()
Date: January 10, 2014 06:37PM

Got pulled over by FFX County Police in Dec. because I passed a police car parked on Baron Cameron. Police car didn't have anyone pulled over, but had blue lights on.

He gave me a ticket for violating Va. Code section 46.2-921 Drivers to yield right-of-way or reduce speed when approaching stationary emergency vehicles on highways $196 Fine, 6 points and Class 1 Misdemeanor.

It was rainy night and I saw the cop just as I came over the crest of a hill. I did not have a lot of time to change lanes - maybe 10 seconds - so I slowed down. I was afraid that someone would come flying over the hill and hit me. I have a spotless driving record and cops in my family. But this law is ridiculous.

My court date is coming up. Would you pay the ticket or go to court?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Obscure Traffic Law = 6 point ticket misdemeanor
Posted by: robert john ()
Date: January 10, 2014 06:43PM

Go and plead no contest with an explanation. Im sure the judge will reduce it. That law is really intended for the interstates

Posted by: BrianSchoeneman ()
Date: January 10, 2014 06:48PM

This is not an obscure law.

Posted by: Visitortothearea ()
Date: January 10, 2014 07:39PM

This law was designed to help protect the lives of the people on the side of the road, cops, emt's, and civilians alike. It's designed to make drivers pay attention and use caution when approaching emergency lights on the side of the road.

And I agree, it's not obscure. It's also common in other states.

All that aside, I'd go to court, you might get the fine reduced or even dismissed. Course, you have to take the time to actually GO to court, but for 6 points, I'd go. Plus, if the cop doesn't show, I believe the case gets dismissed.

Posted by: XXXx ()
Date: January 10, 2014 08:10PM

How about you ask your cop family members how ridiculous they think the law is.

Posted by: Metal Money ()
Date: January 10, 2014 08:27PM

XXXx Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How about you ask your cop family members how
> ridiculous they think the law is.

Ridiculously Profitable!

The small town police thugs in many jurisdictions love to setup stings using this law. They will setup a cop car or other vehicle with flashing yellow lights on the side of the road near a sharp curve or blind spot and then have multiple cruisers up ahead handing out the invoices. They love out of towners since they usually choose to pay the huge (~$2k in GA and AL) fine rather than a court fight.

Now I'm not saying that every jurisdiction does this, and I do support the law to make people slow down or move over since it does protect highway workers and police. If you did have no time to react, and you did slow down (not speeding to begin with) you may have a good case to make.

Problem is that the corrupt and hyper-agressive police with no adult supervision ruin it for the good officers.

FBI, where are you on this?

Posted by: Pay the ticket or..... ()
Date: January 10, 2014 09:13PM

pay these guys. You'll probably pay these guys more than the ticket cost but will most likely be better off in the long run if they get you off the hook.

http://srislawyer.com/attorneys/virginia-move-over-law-va-lawyers-attorneys/

Posted by: Terrible Va Law It Is ()
Date: January 10, 2014 09:33PM

I agree move over slow down but there too many traffic situations . This is a law that endangers the public, You are going along, suprise move over.

The other day on I95 I came over a hill , theres a trooper on the right, I slowed and tried to merge left but I was boxed in with heavy traffic going faster on my left. No I got no ticket but I could have if it was a set up, how slow can I reduce to with out getting creamed from the rear?. Slam on my brakes ? Stupid law for sure. I move over when ever I can but theres times you cant with out causing a danger to your self and others. This is a Law Va should dump, Good luck with that.

Go to court tell your story thats all you can do we are all screwed as long as this ones on the books.

In due time there will be a terrible loss of lives in a accident because of this law,

Date: January 10, 2014 09:50PM

§ 46.2-921.1. Drivers to yield right-of-way or reduce speed when approaching stationary emergency vehicles on highways; penalties.

A. The driver of any motor vehicle, upon approaching a stationary vehicle that is displaying a flashing, blinking, or alternating blue, red, or amber light or lights as provided in § 46.2-1022, 46.2-1023, or 46.2-1024 or subdivision A 1 or A 2 of § 46.2-1025 shall (i) on a highway having at least four lanes, at least two of which are intended for traffic proceeding as the approaching vehicle, proceed with caution and, if reasonable, with due regard for safety and traffic conditions, yield the right-of-way by making a lane change into a lane not adjacent to the stationary vehicle or (ii) if changing lanes would be unreasonable or unsafe, proceed with due caution and maintain a safe speed for highway conditions.

B. A violation of any provision of this section shall be punishable as a traffic infraction, except that a second or subsequent violation of any provision of this section, when such violation involved a vehicle with flashing, blinking, or alternating blue or red lights, shall be punishable as a Class 1 misdemeanor.

C. If the violation resulted in damage to property of another person, the court may, in addition, order the suspension of the driver's privilege to operate a motor vehicle for not more than one year. If the violation resulted in injury to another person, the court may, in addition to any other penalty imposed, order the suspension of the driver's privilege to operate a motor vehicle for not more than two years. If the violation resulted in the death of another person, the court may, in addition to any other penalty imposed, order the suspension of the driver's privilege to operate a motor vehicle for two years.

D. The provisions of this section shall not apply in highway work zones as defined in § 46.2-878.1.

(2002, cc. 163, 341; 2008, c. 818; 2010, c. 289.)

Hey dummy, read the law. You're not expected to slam on your brakes or abrubtly change lanes. It reads with DUE REGARD for safety. This includes yours. Any resonable LEO is not going to expect you to change lanes in bumper to bumper traffic or slam on your brakes and slow down to 10mph from 65mph. Use common sense and don't blow by a stopped LEO, TOW truck, Etc. at top speed as close to shoulder as you can get and you will be ok.

Posted by: Stabitha ()
Date: January 10, 2014 10:38PM

I have a feeling this guy went blowing by the cop at full speed just like most NOVA assholes. I hope you get some time in the slammer.

Posted by: Felony Traffic Stop ()
Date: January 10, 2014 10:44PM

Metal Money Wrote:
> XXXx Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > How about you ask your cop family members how
> > ridiculous they think the law is.
>
>
> Ridiculously Profitable!
>
> The small town police thugs in many jurisdictions
> love to setup stings using this law. They will
> setup a cop car or other vehicle with flashing
> yellow lights on the side of the road near a sharp
> curve or blind spot and then have multiple
> cruisers up ahead handing out the invoices. They
> love out of towners since they usually choose to
> pay the huge (~$2k in GA and AL) fine rather than
> a court fight.
>

I got clipped in rural N.C. last year on my way home from the Outerbanks. The ticket was for 15mph over - 60 in a 45. The trap is set on a single lane posted at 55mph, and opens to double lanes, and drops to 45mph. The chubby boy wrote me a ticket $30.00 for the speeding and $180.00 process fee.

They pick off the Virginia drivers because we won't drive all that way for a couple hundred bucks.

Posted by: Felony Traffic Stop ()
Date: January 10, 2014 10:44PM

Metal Money Wrote:
> XXXx Wrote:
> -----
>
>
>
> cruisers up ahead handing out the invoices. They
> love out of towners since they usually choose to
> pay the huge (~$2k in GA and AL) fine rather than
> a court fight.
>

I got clipped in rural N.C. last year on my way home from the Outerbanks. The ticket was for 15mph over - 60 in a 45. The trap is set on a single lane posted at 55mph, and opens to double lanes, and drops to 45mph. The chubby boy wrote me a ticket $30.00 for the speeding and $180.00 process fee.

They pick off the Virginia drivers because we won't drive all that way for a couple hundred bucks.

Posted by: 395runner ()
Date: January 11, 2014 06:31AM

This law needs to be changed now, so it no longer applies to cops.

Number of VoVa cops I have ever seen helping someone broke down on the road, or needing a ride? Zero.

NoVa cops being crazy pigs hurting working people? All. Every single morning on 395 the Arlington cops are lined up, three at a time, blue lights on and giving tickets to black Maryland and DC drivers going to work in NoVa for some terrible crime like going 5 over. Every single Va State Cop is a Nazi Pig, strutting around and looking for the big 10 over bust so they can charge reckless drivng, and maybe a serviceman or retiree who has a 1/2 gallon of vodka from the base so they can charge bootlegging.

I never used to dislike cops, I was an MP when I was in the army, but NoVa cops are a cruel occupying army.

Posted by: ANGRYDRUNK ()
Date: January 11, 2014 09:03AM

"I have a feeling this guy went blowing by the cop at full speed just like most NOVA assholes"

IT'S THE WAY I DRIVE in my leased BMW, peon. I'm a CS employee, so you can't fire me EITHER, sucker. NOW GTFOUTOFMYWAY.

Posted by: quizical ()
Date: January 11, 2014 09:05AM

How do you yield the right of way to a stationary vehicle?

This law is posted on interstate highways as "slow down or move over". Makes much more sense than what the law actually says.

Posted by: average joe ()
Date: January 11, 2014 10:41AM

Going to court sounds better than simply paying the ticket. This move over law, while I can see why it is needed, has some flaws and should not be a Class 1 misdemeanor.

Apparently the Virginia law was changed in 2010 so it is even more confusing. We should all be changing lanes and moving over for "most vehicles on the side of the road with illuminated red, blue, or amber lights"

Info from an attorney's site:
http://www.andrewflusche.com/blog/move-over-or-slow-down-failure-to-yield-to-vehicles/

Virginia’s relatively new “move over law” (46.2-921.1) was changed significantly in 2010. Even before the changes, people were confused about what the law requires. Here’s an explanation of the law and its punishments.

In brief

You may have heard the law described as “move over or slow down” for emergency vehicles. That’s a crude summary that isn’t accurate, especially in light of the recent changes. Primarily, the law now applies to most vehicles on the side of the road with illuminated red, blue, or amber lights.

The safe rule if you see a vehicle on the side of the road with those lights is to change lanes to provide an open lane next to that vehicle.

The actual law

The move over law is codified in Virginia Code 46.2-921.1. The key language that describes the violation is in subsection A:

The driver of any motor vehicle, upon approaching a stationary vehicle that is displaying a flashing, blinking, or alternating blue, red, or amber light or lights as provided in § 46.2-1022, 46.2-1023, or 46.2-1024 or subdivision A 1 or A 2 of § 46.2-1025 shall (i) on a highway having at least four lanes, at least two of which are intended for traffic proceeding as the approaching vehicle, proceed with caution and, if reasonable, with due regard for safety and traffic conditions, yield the right-of-way by making a lane change into a lane not adjacent to the stationary vehicle or (ii) if changing lanes would be unreasonable or unsafe, proceed with due caution and maintain a safe speed for highway conditions.

What does all that mean? Let’s break it down. The basic required elements of the offense are (keep in mind this is a summary only):

A person driving a motor vehicle
Approaching a
Stationary vehicle of certain types:
Law enforcement, Virginia National Guard, etc (46.2-1022)
Fire truck, ambulance, game warden, etc (46.2-1023)
A private vehicle owned by a fireman, rescue squad volunteer, or police chaplain (46.2-1024)
Tow truck or maintenance vehicle (46.2-1025(A)(1))
Highway or utility construction vehicle (46.2-1025(A)(2))
That is displaying flashing, blinking, or alternating red, blue, or amber lights
If you’re driving along and see one of those vehicles displaying the appropriate lights, you need to take action. But what action? That comes next.

The law has two different requirements. The first one only applies on highways with at least two lanes traveling in each direction. In that case, you must “proceed with caution.” And only “if reasonable,” considering safety and traffic conditions, you must change lanes away from the stationary vehicle.

The second requirement applies to all drivers, including people on four-lane highways. Everyone must “proceed with due caution” and keep a safe speed considering the highway conditions.

Notice that the law doesn’t actually say “slow down.” And not everyone has to move over. But the safe rule is to move over if possible. If you can’t do that, slow down a bit.

Posted by: rubberneck ()
Date: January 11, 2014 11:21AM

Yes it is required to slow down for lights and accident scenes, but then everyone gets upset at the "rubbernecking". Emergency workers sometimes stop on the other side of a divided highway from the incident so it pays to be cautious. Keep looking all directions all around, in case anyone is running across the road to an accident as well. That will get more rubbernecking accusations though.

Posted by: readeroflaws ()
Date: January 11, 2014 01:20PM

Can't be very obscure to OP if he had already been busted for it before. Misdemeanor charge comea on multiple offenses.

Posted by: name and shame the lame ()
Date: January 11, 2014 01:31PM

what is the cops name?

Posted by: averageJoe ()
Date: January 11, 2014 03:28PM

Captain Heinrich Himmler it says on the summons....

Posted by: Highlander ()
Date: January 11, 2014 03:47PM

395runner Wrote:
> This law needs to be changed now, so it no longer
> applies to cops.
>
> Number of VoVa cops I have ever seen helping
> someone broke down on the road, or needing a ride?
> Zero.
>
> NoVa cops being crazy pigs hurting working people?
> All. Every single morning on 395 the Arlington
> cops are lined up, three at a time, blue lights on
> and giving tickets to black Maryland and DC
> drivers going to work in NoVa for some terrible
> crime like going 5 over. Every single Va State Cop
> is a Nazi Pig, strutting around and looking for
> the big 10 over bust so they can charge reckless
> drivng, and maybe a serviceman or retiree who has
> a 1/2 gallon of vodka from the base so they can
> charge bootlegging.
>
> I never used to dislike cops, I was an MP when I
> was in the army, but NoVa cops are a cruel
> occupying army.

You had me until "black Maryland and DC drivers going to work".

Posted by: Xc37x ()
Date: January 11, 2014 10:34PM

Ask for evidence disclosing he had just finished pulling someone over. If not he was just fishing for a ticket and you were it.

Date: January 11, 2014 10:39PM

Xc37x Wrote:
> Ask for evidence disclosing he had just finished
> pulling someone over. If not he was just fishing
> for a ticket and you were it.

No where in the law does it say that an Officer has to be on or just completed a traffic stop. He can be sitting there picking his nose or countless other things for that matter.

Posted by: countrygirl ()
Date: June 26, 2016 01:51PM

My husband was driving on the parkway neart Frontier Drive. He saw a cop sitting on the side of the road with his lights flashing. My husband "half way changed lanes" as he came up on the cop and then got back in his lane and proceeded on.

Cop pulls him over and tells him he is suppose to move over 2 lanes when an emergency vehicle is on the side of the road. My husband explains that he was not aware of that law and thought what he did was accurate. Cop gives him a ticket.

I just did some research and found that this is what the law was changed to in 2010. My husband hasn't had a moving violation in over 30 years. When does it become the State's responsibility to make drivers aware of law changes or additions? Are we supposed to read the State Code every morning as we eat our breakfast? And give him a ticket, come on, he clearly showed effort in giving the officer space even though he was in his cruiser. And he clearly is not one that shows irresponsibility when driving.

Posted by: Johnny Law ()
Date: June 26, 2016 02:49PM

Driving in the state of VA is a privelege, not a right. As a holder of this privelege, you are obligated to stay informed of laws pertaining to operating a motor vehicle. Ignorance is no excuse.

Having said that, your husband was clearly aware of the law as he "half way changed lanes". And I think everyone knows it's not "2 lanes" to move over - especially if there's only two on the roadway. Had your husband moved over one lane, I'm confident you wouldn't be here.

Cops and firefighters are sick and fucking tired of GETTING HIT by people texting, tweeting, reading their phones and generally not paying attention to driving. I can't tell you how many self absorbed snowflakes I see on my shift every day weaving all over the road, stopped at green lights and doing the dumbest shit you can imagine. These cops and firefighters are out there helping improve safety and keeping the community moving on their way - I don't think it's too much to ask to move over one lane. Tickets will be written until compliance improves.

Posted by: Just can't win ()
Date: June 26, 2016 03:16PM

quizical Wrote:
> How do you yield the right of way to a stationary
> vehicle?
>
> This law is posted on interstate highways as "slow
> down or move over". Makes much more sense than
> what the law actually says.

Driver should have stopped, and turned around, and gone to other way.

Then his ticket would have been a improper U-turn, and a possible charge of eluding a police officer.

Posted by: tick-et ()
Date: June 26, 2016 04:07PM

Definitely go to court. You will almost certainly get the charge reduced and possibly dismissed. Show contrition, be sure to mention your clean driving record. Be sure to read the actual wording of the charge in the Virginia Code and see if there is some wording in the actual code you can use to point out that the charge is much more harsh than the actual actions you took. You should acknowledge the law is there to protect the police/EMT or other first responder and that if the officer felt endangered you are sorry.

Posted by: just saying ()
Date: June 26, 2016 10:19PM

I appreciate the post. I'll take you at your word and assume that cop's are pushing this law hard and will adjust my driving accordingly. I've always decelerated for anything stopped on the side of the road to be prudent. Now I'll make it a point to change lanes as "slowing down" can be open to interpretation. Changing lanes is black and white. And as for the Maryland driver bitching about tickets in Virginia, how many more speed cameras will pg, Montgomery and DC put in this year. Do you realize that on 28 from rockville to whites ferry, there are no fewer than 8 speeding camras. And the speed changes a dozen times anywhere from 25mph to 55 mph. 6 miles over and you get mailed a ticket. I'm staying in Virginia as they have hundred's of these fucking things. Oh, and Maryland will ding your credit if you pay late. Hope our actual troopers who actually pulled you over wrote you up for what I'm sure was well in access of 6 mph. I've watched Maryland drivers in Maryland and Virginia for many years, and I have to say, you guys are heavy on the peddle as a rule.

Posted by: GpPEY ()
Date: June 27, 2016 09:28AM

GpPEY

Posted by: Obscure??? ()
Date: June 27, 2016 09:35AM

BrianSchoeneman Wrote:
> This is not an obscure law.

Obscure???? You better re-read the DMV manual. Also illegal to "cut corners."

I'll let you in on another "obscure" law.

46.2-924. Drivers to stop for pedestrians; installation of certain signs;penalty.

A. The driver of any vehicle on a highway shall yield the right-of-way to anypedestrian crossing such highway:

1. At any clearly marked crosswalk, whether at mid-block or at the end of anyblock;

2. At any regular pedestrian crossing included in the prolongation of thelateral boundary lines of the adjacent sidewalk at the end of a block;

3. At any intersection when the driver is approaching on a highway or streetwhere the legal maximum speed does not exceed 35 miles per hour.

B. Notwithstanding the provisions of subsection A of this section, atintersections or crosswalks where the movement of traffic is being regulatedby law-enforcement officers or traffic control devices, the driver shallyield according to the direction of the law-enforcement officer or device.

No pedestrian shall enter or cross an intersection in disregard ofapproaching traffic.

The drivers of vehicles entering, crossing, or turning at intersections shallchange their course, slow down, or stop if necessary to permit pedestrians tocross such intersections safely and expeditiously.

Posted by: I see ()
Date: June 27, 2016 12:47PM

Johnny Law Wrote:
> Driving in the state of VA is a privelege, not a
> right. As a holder of this privelege, you are
> obligated to stay informed of laws pertaining to
> operating a motor vehicle. Ignorance is no
> excuse.
>
> Having said that, your husband was clearly aware
> of the law as he "half way changed lanes". And I
> think everyone knows it's not "2 lanes" to move
> over - especially if there's only two on the
> roadway. Had your husband moved over one lane,
> I'm confident you wouldn't be here.
>
> Cops and firefighters are sick and fucking tired
> of GETTING HIT by people texting, tweeting,
> reading their phones and generally not paying
> attention to driving. I can't tell you how many
> self absorbed snowflakes I see on my shift every
> day weaving all over the road, stopped at green
> lights and doing the dumbest shit you can imagine.
> These cops and firefighters are out there helping
> improve safety and keeping the community moving on
> their way - I don't think it's too much to ask to
> move over one lane. Tickets will be written until
> compliance improves.

You sound like a LEO with a grudge. In this situation the poster said he got over a half lane, which shows he was obviously paying attention. Just because he did so as a courtesy (as most people try to do), that doesn't equate to him knowing the law and in your mind admitting guilt.

Why take out your anger at him? This is an example of a law thats used to punish the wrong person.

IF it is a law that you HAVE to move over 1 lane, I don't see how that enforceable in this area with all the traffic.

Posted by: Johnny Law ()
Date: June 27, 2016 02:55PM

I see Wrote:

> You sound like a LEO with a grudge. In this
> situation the poster said he got over a half lane,
> which shows he was obviously paying attention.
> Just because he did so as a courtesy (as most
> people try to do), that doesn't equate to him
> knowing the law and in your mind admitting guilt.
>
>
> Why take out your anger at him? This is an example
> of a law thats used to punish the wrong person.
>
> IF it is a law that you HAVE to move over 1 lane,
> I don't see how that enforceable in this area with
> all the traffic.

I didn't write him a ticket, nor would I for moving over a half lane. That's what his wife says he did. I don't know what he actually did but I can tell you it's highly unusual for anyone to get written when they make any effort at all - so I don't know what ACTUALLY happened in this case.

The law also provides for slowing down when changing lanes is unsafe or impractical.

If the person wasn't a complete dick on the stop, they usually don't get written unless it was egregious in some form.

Posted by: Hypocrites ()
Date: June 27, 2016 11:13PM

The cops that get all upright about this law must not be the same ones that will scream at you for not stopping for them right in the middle of a shoulderless road like Braddock instead of calmly pulling onto a parking lot or side street.

Posted by: Speedy Gonzales ()
Date: June 27, 2016 11:56PM

OP-

So you don't get caught on another obscure law -

Those signs you see with the big numbers on them are "speed limit" signs. They tell you the speed you should be driving on a road.

Posted by: NAIT ()
Date: July 12, 2016 05:42PM

On the night of July 7th around 12:30 AM, while driving on I66 I saw a cop with his lights on on the right shoulder, I slowed down & since two cars were behind me & another on my left side, I couldnt move quickly to the left side, the cop pulls me over & gives me a ticket for failing to move over for almost $200 plus 6 points, I tried to explain but he didnt want to listen to me at all, instead asked me to argue at the court, I am so chocked of the way some cops are handling this law.

Posted by: ePHpu ()
Date: July 12, 2016 06:26PM

Another asshole cop.

These pigs think that the "Move Over" law is about respecting them.

Instead, these pigs use this stupid law to enforce power over us taxpayers.

All VSP and local cops should be forced to resign. Then we can hire real Americans, who respect the law, and don't have to resort to killing innocent people.

Posted by: Augiedog q ()
Date: July 12, 2016 07:57PM

Just a heads up it also applies to fire trucks, tow trucks and snow plows. If you listen to the radio they always seem to have commercials about it.

Posted by: hLF4n ()
Date: July 13, 2016 04:16PM

average joe Wrote:
> Got pulled over by FFX County Police in Dec.
> because I passed a police car parked on Baron
> Cameron. Police car didn't have anyone pulled
> over, but had blue lights on.
>
> He gave me a ticket for violating Va. Code section
> 46.2-921 Drivers to yield right-of-way or reduce
> speed when approaching stationary emergency
> vehicles on highways $196 Fine, 6 points and
> Class 1 Misdemeanor.
>
> It was rainy night and I saw the cop just as I
> came over the crest of a hill. I did not have a
> lot of time to change lanes - maybe 10 seconds -
> so I slowed down. I was afraid that someone would
> come flying over the hill and hit me. I have a
> spotless driving record and cops in my family. But
> this law is ridiculous.
>
> My court date is coming up. Would you pay the
> ticket or go to court?

either post the video or i have to go by the officers account your actions were dangerous - and your excuses meaningless if you had opportunity to avoid - which the officer already stated by making the ticket

Posted by: kKEMP ()
Date: July 13, 2016 04:17PM

pay up.

only way out is if you can take photos from your driver's perspective showing you would not have seen blue lights and had sense to slow down

Posted by: Augiedog ()
Date: July 16, 2016 05:40AM

Or have your lawyer request the dash cam video and it will show your lane when you passed the stopped office.it won't show the speed but that will be apparent.

Posted by: doodie ()
Date: July 17, 2016 06:43PM

XXXx Wrote:
> How about you ask your cop family members how
> ridiculous they think the law is.

They said it was pretty fucked up but it helps finance the government so why not.

Posted by: gleep ()
Date: July 17, 2016 06:44PM

NAIT Wrote:
> On the night of July 7th around 12:30 AM, while
> driving on I66 I saw a cop with his lights on on
> the right shoulder, I slowed down & since two cars
> were behind me & another on my left side, I
> couldnt move quickly to the left side, the cop
> pulls me over & gives me a ticket for failing to
> move over for almost $200 plus 6 points, I tried
> to explain but he didnt want to listen to me at
> all, instead asked me to argue at the court, I am
> so chocked of the way some cops are handling this
> law.

This is why cops get shot.

Posted by: Lottery Loser ()
Date: July 18, 2016 05:14PM

Metal Money Wrote:
> XXXx Wrote:
> -----
>
>
>
> cruisers up ahead handing out the invoices.

Flashing yellow (amber) lights mean caution. Nothing more, nothing less. They have no legal stigma attached to them. They are used by construction workers, motorist assist, and tow truck drivers, mostly. They mean "Hey, I am here. See me". They do not "require" any action on other drivers, although we hope the other drivers will see, and slow down and/or proceed with caution or whatever.

Posted by: Irfan G ()
Date: February 04, 2017 04:37AM

I was driving on Loudoun county Parkway. Cops already pull over one guy at the corner of the Exit. I was on exit lane and double minded if i change the lane i miss my exit so finally i decided to stay in lane and reduce the speed. I safely pass the cop car but still another cop pull me over with Failure to Yield emergency vehicle.
This is ridiculous. The law says if condition is not suitable dont change the lane. I said to officer if i change the lane definitely i miss my exit. This is why i stay in the lane with reduce speed But unfortunately got the ticket for this offence.

Posted by: Colin Cap-a-Nigga ()
Date: February 04, 2017 09:15AM

Irfan G Wrote:
> I was driving on Loudoun county Parkway. Cops
> already pull over one guy at the corner of the
> Exit. I was on exit lane and double minded if i
> change the lane i miss my exit so finally i
> decided to stay in lane and reduce the speed. I
> safely pass the cop car but still another cop pull
> me over with Failure to Yield emergency vehicle.
> This is ridiculous. The law says if condition is
> not suitable dont change the lane. I said to
> officer if i change the lane definitely i miss my
> exit. This is why i stay in the lane with reduce
> speed But unfortunately got the ticket for this
> offence.

Irfan,

You are not telling the whole story or the truth.

You know better. This never happened on your donkey, did it?

Thanks

your father Blikfar

Posted by: Judge.Arbuckle ()
Date: February 04, 2017 10:27AM

Just so we're clear...No law is obscure. Once laws are passed, they become part of the public record. You can use the Internet or published law books to familiarize yourself with the law. Obscurity doesn't enter into the conversation...it's either a law or it isn't.

Posted by: PFWCK ()
Date: February 04, 2017 10:58AM

Go to court and plead NOT guilty. NEVER PLEA GUILTY OR NOLO IN A TRAFFIC CASE. NEVER. Explain your side. Be polite and dress decent. Not a suit, but not jeans that are falling apart either.

You will probably lose.

Then, appeal and go to the next court up. YOU get to decide the date of the case. The cop will probably not show up. If he shows up, again state your case with more vigor. Don't say anything that doesn't square with the first hearing. If he doesn't show, your case is dismissed.

Posted by: Asshattery ()
Date: February 04, 2017 11:03AM

For six points, I'd be getting a lawyer.

These bastards are just in it for the money. Don't make it easy on them.

It reminds me of GEICO and Progressive Insurance Companies buying radar and lidar guns and donating them to police departments all over the country to raise premiums and benefit over people's misery.

FUCK THEM, ONE AND ALL.

Posted by: Stephen ()
Date: February 04, 2017 02:29PM

This is why you need to have a dash cam, sad we have to protect ourselves from our own government.

Posted by: 9XFDp ()
Date: February 04, 2017 05:09PM

average joe Wrote:
> Got pulled over by FFX County Police in Dec.
> because I passed a police car parked on Baron
> Cameron. Police car didn't have anyone pulled
> over, but had blue lights on.

it's a fair ticket. same ticket you get if you are speeding or endangering VDOT workers.

> He gave me a ticket for violating Va. Code section
> 46.2-921 Drivers to yield right-of-way or reduce
> speed when approaching stationary emergency
> vehicles on highways $196 Fine, 6 points and
> Class 1 Misdemeanor.

you could have killed him

you should have slowed down and avoided the lane

ESPECIALLY WHEN IT DARK AND RAINING

he could have had a nigga in the back about to escape - or even in the front seat wresting for his gun

> It was rainy night and I saw the cop just as I
> came over the crest of a hill. I did not have a
> lot of time to change lanes - maybe 10 seconds -
> so I slowed down. I was afraid that someone would
> come flying over the hill and hit me. I have a
> spotless driving record and cops in my family. But
> this law is ridiculous.

that would get you off stiffer penalties. you should bring a photo showing it

but if the blue lights were on you should have paid attention and slowed down. approaching the hill did you thing the blue lights were there to be pretty?

> My court date is coming up. Would you pay the
> ticket or go to court?

plead guilty with explanation and a photo that your normal law abiding road senses were fooled by the hill, and that you wont do it again, allow the judge to suggest a reduced penalty.

Posted by: Timetravelfirstclass ()
Date: February 05, 2017 03:13PM

Great comments and solid advice.....for a post from 2014. Think he may have already finalized this ticket?

Kudos to the yard who bumped the thread from 2014 and caught so many oblivious to the original date.

9XFDp Wrote:
> average joe Wrote:
> -----
> > Got pulled over by FFX County Police in Dec.
> > because I passed a police car parked on Baron
> > Cameron. Police car didn't have anyone pulled
> > over, but had blue lights on.
>
> it's a fair ticket. same ticket you get if you
> are speeding or endangering VDOT workers.
>
> > He gave me a ticket for violating Va. Code
> section
> > 46.2-921 Drivers to yield right-of-way or
> reduce
> > speed when approaching stationary emergency
> > vehicles on highways $196 Fine, 6 points and
> > Class 1 Misdemeanor.
>
> you could have killed him
>
> you should have slowed down and avoided the lane
>
> ESPECIALLY WHEN IT DARK AND RAINING
>
> he could have had a nigga in the back about to
> escape - or even in the front seat wresting for
> his gun
>
> > It was rainy night and I saw the cop just as I
> > came over the crest of a hill. I did not have a
> > lot of time to change lanes - maybe 10 seconds
> -
> > so I slowed down. I was afraid that someone
> would
> > come flying over the hill and hit me. I have a
> > spotless driving record and cops in my family.
> But
> > this law is ridiculous.
>
> that would get you off stiffer penalties. you
> should bring a photo showing it
>
> but if the blue lights were on you should have
> paid attention and slowed down. approaching the
> hill did you thing the blue lights were there to
> be pretty?
>
> > My court date is coming up. Would you pay the
> > ticket or go to court?
>
> plead guilty with explanation and a photo that
> your normal law abiding road senses were fooled by
> the hill, and that you wont do it again, allow the
> judge to suggest a reduced penalty.

Posted by: J Man ()
Date: February 06, 2017 01:08AM

Wonder what the judge said when the guy said that he didn't see the reflection of flashing blue lights at night lol?

Posted by: Karl ()
Date: November 23, 2018 09:37PM

I was on my way from out of state to Virginia for Thanksgiving 2018. This happened on state highway 17 towards Norfolk.

It is a two-lane highway. Two cop cars were sitting in the middle of the highway at an emergency turn around. Suddenly one cop car pulled out and went after a car ahead of me. I slowed down but could not change lanes as there were vehicles in the other lanes. Within a few seconds, the second cop car comes after me and pulls me over.

He said I was being issued a summons for failure to yield to an emergency vehicle. Section 46.2-921. He said see you in court.

I realized it later that they had the game pat down textbook style. First cop car moves into position. He pulls over a car and lets him go. He cant charge him for anything. This cop car is a decoy. Shift lanes immediately, they are baiting people to force an error.

The second cop car will look for who will pass the first cop car and go after them. I realized like it was a classic case of weaponizing the law to increase revenue for the government.Shameful!

I understand the part of harm coming to law enforcement. I support them in the line of duty. I mean well for them. I have driven for 35 years with a clean record. It was a forced error. It is shameful that law enforcement would force people to fail so as to penalize them.

I just do not have the time to run behind courts from out of state. I am forced to bite the bitter pill and pay up the fine and insurance point surcharge in the future. Thank you Virginia!!

Posted by: Carmelized homosexual ()
Date: November 24, 2018 06:22PM

Karl Wrote:
> I was on my way from out of state to Virginia for
> Thanksgiving 2018. This happened on state highway
> 17 towards Norfolk.
>
> It is a two-lane highway. Two cop cars were
> sitting in the middle of the highway at an
> emergency turn around. Suddenly one cop car pulled
> out and went after a car ahead of me. I slowed
> down but could not change lanes as there were
> vehicles in the other lanes. Within a few seconds,
> the second cop car comes after me and pulls me
> over.
>
> He said I was being issued a summons for failure
> to yield to an emergency vehicle. Section
> 46.2-921. He said see you in court.
>
> I realized it later that they had the game pat
> down textbook style. First cop car moves into
> position. He pulls over a car and lets him go. He
> cant charge him for anything. This cop car is a
> decoy. Shift lanes immediately, they are baiting
> people to force an error.
>
> The second cop car will look for who will pass the
> first cop car and go after them. I realized like
> it was a classic case of weaponizing the law to
> increase revenue for the government.Shameful!
>
> I understand the part of harm coming to law
> enforcement. I support them in the line of duty. I
> mean well for them. I have driven for 35 years
> with a clean record. It was a forced error. It is
> shameful that law enforcement would force people
> to fail so as to penalize them.
>
> I just do not have the time to run behind courts
> from out of state. I am forced to bite the bitter
> pill and pay up the fine and insurance point
> surcharge in the future. Thank you Virginia!!

$20 says that you gave the Trooper an attitude!
$40 says you were driving a $40k plus car-probably an audi
$60 says you had a buttplug inserted(see Audi above)

Posted by: Trooper Jones ()
Date: November 25, 2018 12:32AM

What people seem to forget is that the code doesn't require you to change lanes in every instance. Remember it's not called the 'Move Over Law', it's actually called the 'Move over or slow down law'. Therefore, if you felt like it wasn't prudent or safe for you to change lanes, then by law you didn't have to. If instead you slowed down, you need to argue this in court. Primarily because the officer likely didn't clock you using any speed measuring device. Therefore how is he able to prove you didn't slow down.

Posted by: interesting ()
Date: November 25, 2018 06:56AM

Trooper Jones Wrote:
> What people seem to forget is that the code
> doesn't require you to change lanes in every
> instance. Remember it's not called the 'Move Over
> Law', it's actually called the 'Move over or slow
> down law'. Therefore, if you felt like it wasn't
> prudent or safe for you to change lanes, then by
> law you didn't have to. If instead you slowed
> down, you need to argue this in court. Primarily
> because the officer likely didn't clock you using
> any speed measuring device. Therefore how is he
> able to prove you didn't slow down.

I know this is an old thread but I've seen people change lanes with what I would politely call, "reckless abandon" far too many times. Seen a few close calls due to people not realizing what the proper statute is all about.

Posted by: Lolol ()
Date: November 25, 2018 08:42AM

> $20 says that you gave the Trooper an attitude!
> $40 says you were driving a $40k plus car-probably
> an audi
> $60 says you had a buttplug inserted(see Audi
> above)

Buttpluggggg!
Audiiiiiii!
Lololol

Posted by: road dawg ()
Date: November 25, 2018 09:50AM

I'm a retired cop...most police officers who have been doing the job for awhile realize that this law, while well intentioned is BAD.
Rookies however, may think it's good for them, but it's not.

As a cop on the side of the road the last thing you want is for someone to take their eyes off the road and look in their side view mirror or turn around to make sure there is not a car in their blind spot.

Reston's patrol officers should NOT be wasting their time on enforcing this law, spend some time on crime boys and girls.
I hope this was not a staged situation by patrol to up their traffic ticket numbers.

The law should be repealed.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.