HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Virginia officials to conduct Rt. 28 congestion study; Route 28, one of Northern Virginia's busiest roads, will be scrutinized this summer.
Posted by: Sprawl and Crawl ()
Date: July 14, 2014 02:34PM

Virginia officials to conduct Rt. 28 congestion study
Route 28, one of Northern Virginia's busiest roads, will be scrutinized this summer.
http://www.wtop.com/149/3661994/Virginia-officials-to-conduct-Rt-28-congestion-study

WASHINGTON -- The Virginia Department of Transportation is taking steps toward an eventual overhaul of one of Northern Virginia's most congested roads.

Marty Nohe, chairman of the Northern Virginia Transportation Authority, says the transportation department is conducting a $2.5 million study of Va. 28 this summer.

"For many years, we've recognized that one of the biggest congestion problems we have in Northern Virginia is Route 28, especially the section between Manassas City and Route 66," Nohe says.

The transportation authority allocates new transportation dollars that come out of the General Assembly.

Route 28 passes through several jurisdictions -- Manassas City, Manassas Park, Prince William, Fairfax and Fauquier -- and it's tough to get officials from the different areas on the same page, which is why state transportation officials are involved.

Among other things, the study examines best ways to solve the congestion dilemma.

However, Nohe says, simply throwing money at the problem won't work. It might also be tough to widen the road, since so many homes and businesses would be affected.

"We're going to need a lot of community input," Nohe says, adding that people "just want to know that something is going to happen."

In the end, though, "we want to make sure that whatever we do provides the maximum congestion relief," Nohe says. "By having the right kind of analysis done, we'll be able to identify the alternative that works best toward both of those goals."

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Virginia officials to conduct Rt. 28 congestion study; Route 28, one of Northern Virginia's busiest roads, will be scrutinized this summer.
Posted by: DGduF ()
Date: July 14, 2014 08:50PM

They just want to waste more money. Wasn't the study of 28 the whole reason we got all the new underpasses and the new 66 exit? They already know what needs to be done, just do it! It's the damn church at 28 and 66 again is it??

Re: Virginia officials to conduct Rt. 28 congestion study; Route 28, one of Northern Virginia's busiest roads, will be scrutinized this summer.
Posted by: Old Timer from NOVA ()
Date: July 14, 2014 08:55PM

Remember back in the 80's when they expanded 28 from 7 down to 66, it was paid for by a higher property tax affecting all the commercial real estate on 28. Looks like that needs to be done again.

Posted by: ZoomZoom ()
Date: July 14, 2014 09:08PM

They can keep scutinizing and adding lanes and making toll roads until the cows come aint nothing gonna change about the traffic in NOVA. You all are doomed. So glad I can say goodbye to the whole fucking mess in one more year!

Posted by: whitemike ()
Date: July 14, 2014 09:08PM

Add an overpass over New Braddock like they did further down 28 near Chantilly...

Close Machen Rd during rush hours, the same as HOV hours...

Fix that damn RT 66, RT 28 heading north area... there has got to be a better solution than that light.

Posted by: right idea but... ()
Date: July 14, 2014 09:17PM

An overpass on new braddock would only push the traffic down to compton road.

THe choke point is the bull run bridge and that 2 lane section through yorktown in manassas- if they could expand THAT so it meshes with the 6 (or is it 8?) lanes at manassas drive THAT would solve it-

BBut we all know PWC is NOT going to do that. What did they do? JUst build like 400 new apartments right where the first used tire place is at that new light they just put! JUST over the fairfax line JUST past bull run on the right past that funky indian shopping center (although it does have dominion arms)....... Great another 400 cars at rush hour! THANKS PWC!!!

Posted by: Independent ()
Date: July 14, 2014 10:17PM

In two years, VDOT will put tolls on 28...then a year later, it will be sold to a private toll operator in Australia who will proced to gouge the ever loving shit out of NOVA drivers and piss Frank Wolf off.

Posted by: v4xpH ()
Date: July 15, 2014 08:27AM

Independent Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In two years, VDOT will put tolls on 28...then a
> year later, it will be sold to a private toll
> operator in Australia who will proced to gouge the
> ever loving shit out of NOVA drivers and piss
> Frank Wolf off.

*sigh*

Posted by: needfordeed ()
Date: July 15, 2014 09:16AM

Emminent domain (excsuse my spelling) the church land and build the fucking flyover for 66, the turn lanes they built do NOTHING.

Another flyover just past bull run...might have to take out a few llantas usadas on the side to widen it but make that happen too and make PWC pay for it since they put those apartments on the line and leaving FFX with the traffic.

Posted by: circle o life ()
Date: July 15, 2014 09:44AM

For the most part, as long as the area remains growing, traffic fixes are solutions that feed the problem.

Rt 28 is a good example of this.

As it was expanded in the 80's, more developers built up there (after all, good access is a benefit to, and requirement of, an office building or residential neighborhood).

Better roads = more development. More development = more people. More people = more traffic.

Posted by: James Powell ()
Date: November 04, 2014 10:05AM

I have lived in manassas for 56 years and have seen many road improvements along with MAJOR traffic. I travel from Manassas to Sterling twice a day in rush hour traffic. It takes me anywhere from 45 minutes to 1 1/2 hours! My suggestion is that the wide open median strip along with the wide shoulders be cleaned and maintained to allow traffic to use during accidents or as needed! Myself along with Im sure thousands of persons who travel this route will be more than happy to help clean these areas to help the traffic flow. Thank You.

Posted by: Fuck the soccer field ()
Date: November 04, 2014 10:40AM

whitemike Wrote:
> Add an overpass over New Braddock like they did
> further down 28 near Chantilly...
>
> Close Machen Rd during rush hours, the same as HOV
> hours...
>
> Fix that damn RT 66, RT 28 heading north area...
> there has got to be a better solution than that
> light.

This.

Get rid of those three damn traffic lights (Braddock, soccer field, 66) and most of the problem goes away. Or at least we push the problem further into Prince William county, either way its a win.

Posted by: Head for Goobervania... ()
Date: November 04, 2014 10:45AM

ZoomZoom Wrote:
> They can keep scutinizing and adding lanes and
> making toll roads until the cows come aint nothing
> gonna change about the traffic in NOVA. You all
> are doomed. So glad I can say goodbye to the whole
> fucking mess in one more year!

That's the solution alright -- just move some place where there's no place else worth going to. That'll cut down on traffic a lot.

Posted by: mjs82 ()
Date: November 05, 2014 03:05PM

ok I can save them million of dolalrs in consultation fees.

add more lanes, get rid of at grade crossings from sterling to mannasshole. Improve the 28/66/29 interchange andmake it a mixing bowl #2

Posted by: Don't Believe The Hype ()
Date: November 05, 2014 10:14PM

The public will be asked questions that are pre-tested to guarantee they produce preselected answers. I was called by a survey company on behalf of VDOT and asked a series of questions about congestion on 66 from the Beltway to Haymarket. The predigested solution was construction of HOT lanes on that stretch. VDOTs website indicates it's a done deal. We need foreign consortiums to get any sort of public works done in the Commonwealth. Prepare for $10,000 fines if your EZPass malfunctions.

Posted by: LCmHX ()
Date: November 06, 2014 07:10PM

how long have these same political families had control of "running studies" (already run) and self deciding pay ?

i'd love to have them arrested

Posted by: Fuck 28 ()
Date: November 06, 2014 09:06PM

Why the fuck is a stop light operating for a fucking park on 28 southbound during rush hour. Maybe the entrance for ballparks shouldn't have been on a divided highway! Ya think???

Posted by: Booger Powell ()
Date: November 06, 2014 09:16PM

I'm with James in that I usually spend the 90 minute commute furiously masterbating to the thoughts of me driving into the person in front of me.

So calming and it releases tension.

Posted by: Vixis ()
Date: November 06, 2014 09:35PM

Here's a novel idea those dipshit County politicians have yet to realize..STOP BUILDING!!!!! We live on Route 28, bought our house in 1996. Traffic has gotten worse year after year, I agree that expanding will only make it worse. I am sick and tired of people being pushed out of their homes to satisfy the shits running this county, there would be no way we could afford another home in this county if we sold ours. We would literally have to move to Winchester or Fredericksburg, why should I be inconvenienced because some jackass mfer politician doesn't have the balls to say STOP BUILDING or do something about it. I refuse to give up my home, they want to offer me $2-3 mill for my home then I may consider it but I am not going to give up my home to make it easy on them.

Posted by: Greybeard ()
Date: November 06, 2014 10:08PM

Fuck 28 Wrote:
> Why the fuck is a stop light operating for a
> fucking park on 28 southbound during rush hour.
> Maybe the entrance for ballparks shouldn't have
> been on a divided highway! Ya think???

Well, like, 28 was a 2-lane country road until it was widened in 1987. There were lights all along it from I-66 up to Rt. 7 (and at Rt. 7) at that point. Now there's what, half a light (that one, since it's only partly used) north of Braddock? Not bad, it's a shit-ton better than it was.

I'm guessing that this study is partly related to the "outer Beltway" idea that keeps going around. 28 is the logical choice for that...and it's mostly ready, north of I-66!

Posted by: Centreville ()
Date: November 07, 2014 01:43AM

James Powell Wrote:
> I have lived in manassas for 56 years and have
> seen many road improvements along with MAJOR
> traffic. I travel from Manassas to Sterling twice
> a day in rush hour traffic. It takes me anywhere
> from 45 minutes to 1 1/2 hours! My suggestion is
> that the wide open median strip along with the
> wide shoulders be cleaned and maintained to allow
> traffic to use during accidents or as needed!
> Myself along with Im sure thousands of persons who
> travel this route will be more than happy to help
> clean these areas to help the traffic flow. Thank
> You.

If you would STOP DRIVING 28 AT RUSH HOUR it would actually help improve traffic flow. You are slowing down everyone.

Posted by: Centreville ()
Date: November 07, 2014 01:46AM

Vixis Wrote:
> Here's a novel idea those dipshit County
> politicians have yet to realize..STOP
> BUILDING!!!!! We live on Route 28, bought our
> house in 1996. Traffic has gotten worse year after
> year, I agree that expanding will only make it
> worse. I am sick and tired of people being pushed
> out of their homes to satisfy the shits running
> this county, there would be no way we could afford
> another home in this county if we sold ours. We
> would literally have to move to Winchester or
> Fredericksburg, why should I be inconvenienced
> because some jackass mfer politician doesn't have
> the balls to say STOP BUILDING or do something
> about it. I refuse to give up my home, they want
> to offer me $2-3 mill for my home then I may
> consider it but I am not going to give up my home
> to make it easy on them.

You are a riot Vixis. You wanted to BUILD your house, then as soon as your own house is built, you want to stop everyone else from doing what you just did. Hypocrit much? Ha Ha!

Posted by: Vixis ()
Date: November 07, 2014 11:47PM

We didn't build our home, it was already built when we bought it. Our house has been standing when 28 was only a two lane road, there was nothing here in Centreville but cow farms.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.