HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Tuberville home
Posted by: Awakened ()
Date: December 21, 2008 12:41AM

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2009 03:26PM by Awakened.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tuberville home
Posted by: trogdor! ()
Date: December 21, 2008 02:54AM

Awakened Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> anybody know where the Tuberville home is? it's
> supposedto be in Centreville somewhere and has
> historic significance. its an Antebellum
> (pre-Civil war) era home
>
> edit after further research: ah, is it by chance
> the Walney visitor's center at EC lawrence park?

The oldest home that I know of in Centreville is Orchard Hill, which was built in 1740. It's in Union Mill... The home may have been called "Tubberville" not sure. The cemetery behind it is called Orchard Hill.

It's Here:
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=centreville,+va&ie=UTF8&ll=38.830807,-77.41572&spn=0.000663,0.001207&t=h&z=20

Posted by: SE ()
Date: December 21, 2008 02:57AM

I'm pretty sure Turberville was in Chantilly and its no longer there, but I could be wrong. I think it was off of Centreville Rd.

Date: December 21, 2008 10:15AM

SE Wrote:
> I'm pretty sure Turberville was in Chantilly and
> its no longer there, but I could be wrong. I
> think it was off of Centreville Rd.

If its gone, then its really sad. because after even more research i found Leeton (this tuberville home) was from the 1780s. So its a REVOLUTIONARY-era landmark. and yet we go and demolish it to build townhouses. there is NOT much around here that old, and it was one of the main houses for the Richard Bland Lee family which owned pretty much all of Chantilly since 1725.

This is not to be confused with Leeton Estate that was near Sully Plantation (you may have seen that earlier on this site on some other forum)- (yes there were 2 leetons). THAT Leeton was demolished in 62 for the airport. Where that house was there is now the parking lot for the Udvar-Hazy Center.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2008 11:19AM by Awakened.

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: December 21, 2008 10:20AM

the orchard hill house is in clifton.. it's the clubhouse for our neighborhood.

Date: December 21, 2008 11:18AM

FOUND IT.
http://icare.fairfaxcounty.gov/Forms/Datalets.aspx?mode=resall&taxyear=2009&ownseq=1&roll=REAL&jur=&sIndex=0&idx=-1&pin=0444%2001%20%200001B&LMparent=138

It's right next to "Leeton Circle". in the woods. Initially i thought i found it on an old aerial and saw the new townhouses and thought it was demolished, but no, its still there.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2008 11:23AM by Awakened.

Posted by: trogdor! ()
Date: December 21, 2008 11:50AM

RESton Peace Wrote:
> the orchard hill house is in clifton.. it's the
> clubhouse for our neighborhood.

True. I've never understood where Clifton begins. I guess it's just everything south of 29? I never realized that Giant was in Clifton. I always picture clifton as the old clifton.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2008 02:00AM by trogdor!.

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: December 21, 2008 11:57AM

I agree with you, trogdor, just being a literalist. I think of my hood a c-ville also, right up until I want to disassociate from all the garbage there.

Posted by: Spacy ()
Date: December 21, 2008 10:35PM

Myself and a couple of friends drove over to Tuberville last night. You go down a pathway just off that suburban side street into what appears to be the woods, and there it is! There's a NO TRESPASSING KEEP OUT sign hanging on a chain over the path where the gravel part ends, but just ignore that and round the corner. Man, those tuber houses are really freaky! But when we shined a flashlight into one of them, this Tuber dude came out and started yelling at us! He had an axe and started chasing us, and then some other Tuber came out with a dog and we ran like hell! I heard this place used to be a resort in the 1930s and then had a Nike missle silo in the 60s. If you go there watch out!

I think they had a Burger Chef near there around 1972.

Date: December 21, 2008 10:42PM

Spacy Wrote:
> Myself and a couple of friends drove over to
> Tuberville last night. You go down a pathway just
> off that suburban side street into what appears to
> be the woods, and there it is! There's a NO
> TRESPASSING KEEP OUT sign hanging on a chain over
> the path where the gravel part ends, but just
> ignore that and round the corner. Man, those
> tuber houses are really freaky! But when we
> shined a flashlight into one of them, this Tuber
> dude came out and started yelling at us! He had
> an axe and started chasing us, and then some other
> Tuber came out with a dog and we ran like hell! I
> heard this place used to be a resort in the 1930s
> and then had a Nike missle silo in the 60s. If
> you go there watch out!
>
> I think they had a Burger Chef near there around
> 1972.

Go home, troll.

Posted by: ? ()
Date: December 22, 2008 03:21PM

I live in the Ponds of Clifton/Centreville. The centreville line is right accross braddock Road (where Giant is located). We are technically located in Clifton. But I choose not to associate with either town, super rich vs. super something.. ugh.

Posted by: old School ()
Date: December 25, 2008 11:57PM

Back in the 70's the farm that the "Ponds" now occupies as well as the woods where the "Little Rocky Run" development now stands was considered Centreville with the 22020 ZIP code. Rumor had it that the Zip codes were changed before high density housing was built in order to maximize profit margins. Houses with the Clifton 22024 ZIP would be considered more desireable. Rumor also has it that local poloticians were more than happy to help out for a little "compensation". Unfortunately, this attitude and type of colusion led to the massive distruction and disregard of a tremendous amount historical items, artifacts, and sites. (Grave yards, civil war camps, trenches, forts, old mill sites, Colonial period houses, house sites, etc.)
A few years back developers cut down what was probably the oldest and largest tree in Centreville (well over 400 years old). This was located off of Old Centreville Rd. (near Burger King) at the former Mulford residence and day- school. Many folks beleive that this Oak tree was a landmark mentioned in George Washington's original survey of the area. The tree appeared very healthy, had a historical marker on it, and was located at the very edge of the 10 acres that was being developed and could have easily been saved. I assume that it was just more cost efficient to just cut it down. All in the "name of progress"...AKA....Greed!

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.