HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
The Most Dangerous Highway Merge in NOVA
Posted by: 72Torino ()
Date: September 27, 2012 05:59PM

I vote the local lane on-ramp from Route 1 North onto the Inner-Loop of 495 towards Springfield. So, the Commonwealth spends MILLIONS of dollars to finally "fix" all of the roads and highways around 495/Wilson Bridge and...it's STILL fucked up.

They've built this beautiful long, loopy on-ramp but you still have to first deal with traffic coming in from your left. (Yes, you have a lane coming down the ramp but you are dumped into the right of the two lanes. The right of the two lanes is where EVERYONE coming over the Wilson bridge also wants to be so, you're getting dive-bombed by people doing 65+ as soon as you come down the ramp.) Then after you deal with the dive-bombers you have to merge into the left-most lane which again is traffic doing 65+.

The thru lanes are not much of an alternative. You still have to merge in with local traffic AT SPEED again in the LEFT LANE while also dealing with a left lane prior to the local lane merge that disappears. I guess it's no big deal because during rush hour no one is driving more than 20mph...

I can't wait to deal with the bullshit at the 495 H.O.T. Express Lanes! "What?!?!? It's $32.78 per mile?!?!?! Oh fuck no! I spent all my money on my {insert Asian or German luxury car brand here}! I don't have enough for a toll like that! I'm going to swerve back to the right without looking..." :/

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The Most Dangerous Highway Merge in NOVA
Posted by: curious ()
Date: September 27, 2012 07:03PM

Anyone remember the old merge from 66W to 495 onto 50W . . . direct merge onto the left lane of 495, then across all of the lanes, finally onto the offramp. Since has been replaced by the HOT lanes project, but that merge was an exciting one . . .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2012 07:03PM by curious.

Posted by: Atom ()
Date: September 27, 2012 07:42PM

I can't believe the ramp from 267 onto the innerloop is still one lane.

What a joke.

at the point where it hits 289 and North Rolling Rd.
Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: September 27, 2012 08:11PM

it's not really dangerous............but when you are on the Parkway coming from 95 - having ALL 3 lanes of traffic have to get into the right lane to take a one lane cloverleaf ramp just simply to STAY on the parkway...................well it's just so stupid they left the design that way, is all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2012 08:11PM by Gordon Blvd.

Posted by: JustanFYI ()
Date: September 28, 2012 04:45PM

123 merging to 66W with NO MERGE LANE, you just dump directly on the highway. Fuckin retarded.

Posted by: anet ()
Date: September 28, 2012 04:52PM

The ramp from 66W onto Nutley South. No merge lane, and you practically have to dislocate your neck to check for oncoming traffic.

Posted by: anet ()
Date: September 28, 2012 04:54PM

that's 66E, sorry

Posted by: Survivor ()
Date: September 28, 2012 10:04PM

anet Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The ramp from 66W onto Nutley South. No merge
> lane, and you practically have to dislocate your
> neck to check for oncoming traffic.

Given the daily evening backups from Nutley onto 66W, anyone exiting 66w to take Nutley S is at the mercy of those criss-crossing at the point where the ramps intersect. The real problem, of course, is the insane volume of traffic on all these roads. If roads had maximum capacity restrictions, akin to fire codes for bldgs, commuting in NOVA might be bearable. It seems almost criminal that fairfax County would approve any new housing development given the massive overuse of every major and minor road--not to mention the overcrowded FCPS schools!

Posted by: Kingstowne ()
Date: September 30, 2012 11:09AM

Going from the inner loop to South Van Dorn is pretty bad. You have to cut across three lanes of traffic if you want to go south, cutting off all te drivers that are coming off the outer loop.

Posted by: 113 ()
Date: October 01, 2012 12:02AM

Honorable mention goes to any of the ramps between 395 and the GW Parkway.

Posted by: Mrs. Kingstowne ()
Date: October 01, 2012 12:09AM

Kingstowne Wrote:
> Going from the inner loop to South Van Dorn is
> pretty bad. You have to cut across three lanes of
> traffic if you want to go south, cutting off all
> te drivers that are coming off the outer loop.

I'd love to get the real data on this...but it sure seems like ALL the traffic exiting off the innerloop wants to go south on South Van Dorn and ALL the traffic exiting off the outerloop wants to go north on South Van Dorn. Definitely fucked up there...no question.

Posted by: Kingstown Idiots ()
Date: October 01, 2012 12:16AM

that's not even true about 495/Van Dorn exit. You dont have to get over 3 lanes. You have to get over one lane (the middle lane). Dumb fucks like you try to get all the way over to save a couple minutes by being able to turn right on red (cant from the middle lane). You put yourself and others in danger because you are selfish as fuck. Now you complain about it? Why dont you read the signs and stop being so selfish. Wanna dispute me? Take a fucking picture and prove I'm wrong.

Posted by: Mr. Rose Hill ()
Date: October 01, 2012 12:17AM

Kingstowne Wrote:
> Going from the inner loop to South Van Dorn is
> pretty bad. You have to cut across three lanes of
> traffic if you want to go south, cutting off all
> te drivers that are coming off the outer loop.

You can turn right from the middle lane there, it's only one lane change total.

Posted by: Kingstowne ()
Date: October 01, 2012 03:18AM

So I'm wrong about the number of lanes. Whoopee

Why u mad bro?

If I'm coming off the inner loop there and people coming off the outer loop use their signal so I know their intentions I let them in. It's not a race.

Posted by: Pwnage ()
Date: October 01, 2012 10:58PM

Wow looks like u juss got epically owned

Posted by: FusilliJerry ()
Date: October 01, 2012 11:16PM

The "acceleration" lane getting on the Beltway from Breddock going towards the Mixing Bowl was pretty bad, especailly early to mid evening when you had seom taxi driving tool that would try and merge into traffic. Taxi would be doing 35 and the Beltway traffic doing 70. Down the side fo the lane was all jersey barriers and no run off. I had idiots stop at the end because they wouldn't speed up and try and merge.

Posted by: w. Jokela ()
Date: July 27, 2014 09:14PM

Exiting the inner loop onto Braddock Road to turn left at Ravensworth Road. You have a couple of hundred yards to cross 3 lanes of traffic. Very exciting.

Posted by: KNtKL ()
Date: July 27, 2014 09:19PM

Kingstown Idiots Wrote:
> that's not even true about 495/Van Dorn exit. You
> dont have to get over 3 lanes. You have to get
> over one lane (the middle lane). Dumb fucks like
> you try to get all the way over to save a couple
> minutes by being able to turn right on red (cant
> from the middle lane). You put yourself and others
> in danger because you are selfish as fuck. Now you
> complain about it? Why dont you read the signs and
> stop being so selfish. Wanna dispute me? Take a
> fucking picture and prove I'm wrong.

Agreed, They move from going 5 mph right into our decel right lane when we are going 45mph every fucking day....without looking!

Posted by: Parkway Peeves ()
Date: July 27, 2014 09:39PM

w. Jokela Wrote:
> Exiting the inner loop onto Braddock Road to turn
> left at Ravensworth Road. You have a couple of
> hundred yards to cross 3 lanes of traffic. Very
> exciting.

Yeah, that's always been a mess.

The ramp (Exit 10?) from 395 just before the bridge to double-back onto the Parkway to head to National Airport is one of the more fucked up.

First, just getting to that exit is a pain in the ass in traffic because you have those two consecutive exits from Crystal City dumping in to your right which makes you have to move through 3 lanes.

Then there's no merge at all coming off of it onto the Parkway. If you're familiar with it and you're the only one then you can time it pretty well and it's not a problem. But never fails that there's some dumbshit who stops at the end. So you have to watch for that in front of you while trying to gauge the traffic coming down the Parkway and watch the idiot behind you who's doing the same thing. Then if they do stop completely you're starting from a dead stop and the limos and cabbies coming down the Parkway intentionally try to fuck with people there by moving over into that lane. lol

Same coming back from the airport from the Parkway headed South on 395 where you have to cross over several lanes 3 times right in front of people trying to exit. That's gotta be one of the worst.

Posted by: 6FE6K ()
Date: July 27, 2014 09:41PM

72Torino Wrote:
> I vote the local lane on-ramp from Route 1 North
> onto the Inner-Loop of 495 towards Springfield.
> So, the Commonwealth spends MILLIONS of dollars to
> finally "fix" all of the roads and highways around
> 495/Wilson Bridge and...it's STILL fucked up.

for $100 i'll put up a 40 mph sign up - rather than $10000000 fucking dollars shit heads

i'll have to steal the sign unless i make it - those beltway bandits are murder on parts

Posted by: that one is bad ()
Date: July 27, 2014 09:51PM

Same coming back from the airport from the Parkway headed South on 395 where you have to cross over several lanes 3 times right in front of people trying to exit. That's gotta be one of the worst.

+1000

I picked up my sister (who lives in Minneapolis) and was bringing her back to my house and she nearly had heart failure---she said, "how do you do this?"

Posted by: Asian.Drivers ()
Date: July 27, 2014 11:44PM

that one is bad Wrote:
> she said, "how do you
> do this?"

Dat simple, round eye...me just crows eyes, reev turn signal off, and jerk wheel to the right!

Posted by: jhey ()
Date: July 28, 2014 11:53AM

The onramp from southbound Glebe to the I-395 South onramp. No merge lane, impossible to see the traffic behind the crest of the hill behind you. You gotta hit the yield sign at 50 mph minimum, then just hope you've got an opening.

I'M A FIVE-STAR MAN!!

Posted by: Fistee ()
Date: July 28, 2014 12:40PM

Please post pictures if your sister.

> I picked up my sister (who lives in Minneapolis)
> and was bringing her back to my house and she
> nearly had heart failure---she said, "how do you
> do this?"

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.