HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Lifetime Fitness
Posted by: Centreville's Finest ()
Date: December 19, 2008 02:20PM

Does anybody have any opinions on Lifetime Fitness? I was thinking about leaving my current gym and joining. I live closer to the Centreville one, but work closer to the Fairfax location. I like the fact they're open 24 hrs. I'm sure you have to pay more per month for something like that. Any opinion on their personal trainers' level of competency?

And yes, I know all about the theft ring at the Centreville location. I'm not to bothered by that - shady people work everywhere.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Lifetime Fitness
Posted by: Consumer ()
Date: December 19, 2008 02:49PM

I like the Centreville location better but I live closer to the Fairfax one. Centreville is a little bigger and has more equipment. It's a very nice gym. I pay $65 a month

Date: December 19, 2008 02:52PM

Centreville's Finest Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Does anybody have any opinions on Lifetime
> Fitness? I was thinking about leaving my current
> gym and joining. I live closer to the Centreville
> one, but work closer to the Fairfax location. I
> like the fact they're open 24 hrs. I'm sure you
> have to pay more per month for something like
> that. Any opinion on their personal trainers'
> level of competency?
>
> And yes, I know all about the theft ring at the
> Centreville location. I'm not to bothered by that
> - shady people work everywhere.

Don't leave your kid unattended at the pool.

Date: December 19, 2008 02:55PM

I worked out there a few years ago. It was nice. They'd have new equipment every few months. It was a tad more expensive then I was used to, but totally worth it.

Posted by: JayBee ()
Date: December 19, 2008 04:55PM

Don't kid yourself, there is a theft ring at the Fairfax one as well. I read the daily crime reports and it pops up every few weeks: someone has their wallet stolen out of one of the locked lockers. I remember a few reports of the keys being taken and used to open the doors of the persons car and all their stuff stolen, too. Happens, I would say, a dozen times a year at least.

Fairfax City is a much smaller area, unlike Fairfax County, like Vienna and Falls Church, so their crime reports aren't seen nearly as much.

I used to belong there, but when I did want to stop my membership, they said it wouldn't take effect for another 30 days. An easy way to screw you out of another months worth of dues. I am still surly about that.

The place was clean and they had decent equipment, though. Just didn't keep up with it and there weren't enough bikes (sit-down) that I liked to use, so I was always standing around waiting or getting my balls squashed by the tiny seats on the stand-up bikes -ouch.

Posted by: Fairfax22032 ()
Date: December 19, 2008 05:02PM

JayBee Wrote:
> I used to belong there, but when I did want to
> stop my membership, they said it wouldn't take
> effect for another 30 days. An easy way to screw
> you out of another months worth of dues. I am
> still surly about that.
>
I canceled my membership about two years ago, but was told months later that it wasn't "official" since I didn't notify them in writing. Screw that! They have been trying to collect $130 (two months of fees) since then with a call every few weeks. The message is the same...I am not paying, so either stop calling and write it off or send it to collections. At this point I figure that they have spent well over $130 trying to get me to pay.

The facility, however, is quite nice. A variety of strength and cardio equipment plus stuff like Bosu balls and plyometric equipment. The locker room and shower is good and I really like the steam room (when it worked).

IMO, LTF is a lot better than Gold's which I really think is in business just to sell memberships.

Posted by: StickyFingers ()
Date: December 19, 2008 05:09PM

JayBee Wrote:
> Don't kid yourself, there is a theft ring at the
> Fairfax one as well. I read the daily crime
> reports and it pops up every few weeks: someone
> has their wallet stolen out of one of the locked
> lockers. I remember a few reports of the keys
> being taken and used to open the doors of the
> persons car and all their stuff stolen, too.
> Happens, I would say, a dozen times a year at
> least.
>
> Fairfax City is a much smaller area, unlike
> Fairfax County, like Vienna and Falls Church, so
> their crime reports aren't seen nearly as much.
>
> I used to belong there, but when I did want to
> stop my membership, they said it wouldn't take
> effect for another 30 days. An easy way to screw
> you out of another months worth of dues. I am
> still surly about that.
>
> The place was clean and they had decent equipment,
> though. Just didn't keep up with it and there
> weren't enough bikes (sit-down) that I liked to
> use, so I was always standing around waiting or
> getting my balls squashed by the tiny seats on the
> stand-up bikes -ouch.

Well said. I read the FFx City arrest record daily and it seems like
at least once a week Lifetime Fitness has some sort of an incident.
Usually with something being stolen from a locker. You would think
people would learn not to take valuables with them, but it seems
like this place is frequented by thieves. Opportunity and desire.

Posted by: formerhick76 ()
Date: December 19, 2008 07:35PM

Can't people just put their valuables in their glove compartment or use a fanny pack to carry driver's license and $20?

Posted by: GetBigFast ()
Date: December 19, 2008 09:29PM

Been a member for about 5 yrs. (Cville) I can say the quality of the club has gone down hill slowly over the past couple of yrs., starting with the plastic laundry bags given for your sweaty clothes to recently the fact that you have to sign out basketballs. I guess all the Westfields students were stealing them (just joking) Either way, I only continue to go there due to the convenience and it is still probably better than other local clubs. Next dues increase though count me out.

Posted by: TRICKIE ()
Date: December 20, 2008 01:25AM

Join Washington Sports Club. Less expensive and we do not have thefts. Well one time a lady had some Lucy pants stolen but she did not lock her locker.

Trickie

Posted by: VA Hokie Bird ()
Date: December 20, 2008 06:08PM

I go to the Centreville one (member since 3/07). I like it, but only go for the weights and the elliptical machines or stairmasters. I've taking my daughter to the pool and it seems alright. If you go on a Friday night around 9 or so, it's Koreans as far as the eye can see. I don't really care, it just makes it seem that everyone other than a Korean has a social life!!

I will say I was lead to believe by the sales chick that when you joined, your fees were "grandfathered" in and wouldn't increase. That's not true and called her on it as I read the fine print. Then she said that they increase dues only rarely, but I got hit with one early in '08, so I hope there won't be one for awhile. I pay 70.95 for my membership and my daughter's junior membership. Sign up fees are a little steep - I think it was around $200.

Don't join right now! Wait until February or March. There's tons of "New Year's resolutionists" coming in now which is increasing the crowd, which will frustrate you. Half of them don't know proper gym etiquette and most of them are totally clueless and are just taking up space. By late Feb, most of them have weeded themselves out and it's back to normal.

Posted by: Maple St Res ()
Date: December 20, 2008 06:25PM

join the golds in fairfax station. very nice, good equipment, basketball court, nice people.....and of course the staff is awesome.

Posted by: ben ()
Date: December 23, 2008 11:35AM

VA Hokie Bird Wrote:
> I will say I was lead to believe by the sales
> chick that when you joined, your fees were
> "grandfathered" in and wouldn't increase. That's
> not true and called her on it as I read the fine
> print. Then she said that they increase dues only
> rarely, but I got hit with one early in '08, so I
> hope there won't be one for awhile. I pay 70.95
> for my membership and my daughter's junior
> membership. Sign up fees are a little steep - I
> think it was around $200.
>
> Don't join right now! Wait until February or
> March. There's tons of "New Year's
> resolutionists" coming in now which is increasing
> the crowd, which will frustrate you. Half of them
> don't know proper gym etiquette and most of them
> are totally clueless and are just taking up space.
> By late Feb, most of them have weeded themselves
> out and it's back to normal.

This is why I took all the money I was spending on gym dues, and built a home gym. Not a Nautilus or Bowflex machine or anything simple like that- a power rack, fully adjustable bench (Ironmaster Super Bench + accessories), barbell set, and partial dumbbell set (5-90).

I used to be a member of Olympus gym, and when they moved locations I was overseas for a while. I renewed my membership before I left, then put it on hold so I would have a year at the new gym at the old rate. Sounds good right?

The first day back, at their new location, and I'm setting up in the back corner on a power rack to do some dead lifts. An attendant RUSHES over to me to tell me that "lifting off the floor" is not allowed. Also not allowed; chalk.

I used their gym for that year, then built my home gym, and have never looked back. No waiting, no rules, no annoyances.

I guess that most chic gyms have no deadlifting and no chalk rules, but you have to realize that the old Olympus location had an awesome free-weight section in the back. There were guys that would always be powerlifting and Olympic lifting back there. It was really nice while it lasted.

Posted by: Repete ()
Date: December 23, 2008 12:18PM

From FFx Cty Police Bulletin, updated today:

Larceny

08-22142

9602 Main Street / Lifetime Fitness – On December 22 at 11:02 PM the victim reported that between 8:30 PM and 9:30 PM unknown person(s) had broken into his locker and stolen his wallet containing cash, credit cards and identification. A second victim also reported that his wallet had been stolen from his locker during the same time frame.

Are the customers just plain stupid or what?

Date: December 23, 2008 01:12PM

I saw that report just a minute ago! Thanks RePete!

Sounds like the City of Fairfax police are stupid, the owners don't need the negative attention - bad for business. This has happened how many times and they can't catch this person?

It sounds like to me that someone knows of a few lockers that don't shut correctly or are very easily broken into. If you see that someone is using it (there is a lock on it), just pop the door and act as if you are retrieving your valuables, who is to say that they are not yours? Its gotta be someone who works there.

All the cops have to do is place one of those anti-theft devices/motion detector/motion-activated alarms in one of those lockers and wait. Whomever is doing it is just plain greedy at this point, there have been like, a dozen thefts so far.

Posted by: asdfasdfasdfasdf ()
Date: December 23, 2008 01:18PM

too many asians

Date: December 23, 2008 05:00PM

Here's a list, just October to December:

Oct 9
Larceny 08-17601
9602 Main Street / Lifetime Fitness – The victim reported that sometime between 5 p.m. and 8:48 p.m. on October 8, unknown person(s) gained entry into a secured locker and stole his wallet.

Oct 14
Larceny 08-17822
9602 Main Street / Lifetime Fitness – Sometime between 2:40 p.m. and 3:15 p.m. on October 11, unknown person(s) gained entry into a secured locker and stole a black back pack, a wallet, and other personal items.

Oct 20
Larceny 08-17279
9602 Main Street / Lifetime Fitness - Sometime between 7:30 p.m. and 10 p.m. on October 19, unknown person(s) gained entry into a secured locker and stole a wallet.

Oct 23
Larceny 08-18470
9602 Main Street / Lifetime Fitness – Sometime between 6:30 p.m. and 8:30 p.m. on October 22, unknown person(s) gained entry into a secured locker and stole a wallet and car keys.

Oct 31
Larceny 08-18885
9602 Main Street / Lifetime Fitness – On October 29 at 7:11 PM the victim reported that while he was working out unknown person(s) had taken his gym bag out of his locker and removed his wallet containing cash, credit cards and identification.

Nov 10
Larceny 08-19570
9602 Main Street / Lifetime Fitness – Sometime between 7:30 p.m. and 11:15 p.m. on November 9, unknown person(s) gained entry into a locker, stole the victim’s keys and located his vehicle in the parking lot. The suspect(s) entered the vehicle and stole cash and credit cards from his wallet and a cellular phone.

Nov 21
Larceny 08-20199
9602 Main Street / Lifetime Fitness – On November 20 between 6:49 p.m. and 9:30 p.m., unknown person(s) broke into a locker in the women’s locker room and stole several items. The Patrol Division is investigating the case.

Dec 19
Larceny 08-21295
9602 Main Street / Lifetime Fitness – On December 9 at 9:04 AM the victim reported that on November 15 unknown person(s) had taken his BlackBerry phone after he had left it on a piece of equipment while working out.

Posted by: dono ()
Date: December 23, 2008 06:26PM

WashingTone Locian Wrote:
> Centreville's Finest Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Does anybody have any opinions on Lifetime
> > Fitness? I was thinking about leaving my
> current
> > gym and joining. I live closer to the
> Centreville
> > one, but work closer to the Fairfax location. I
> > like the fact they're open 24 hrs. I'm sure
> you
> > have to pay more per month for something like
> > that. Any opinion on their personal trainers'
> > level of competency?
> >
> > And yes, I know all about the theft ring at the
> > Centreville location. I'm not to bothered by
> that
> > - shady people work everywhere.
>
> Don't leave your kid unattended at the pool.

Lifetime is a good gym. The child care at the Fairfax location is adequate and sometimes good. The Centerville location is a younger crowd and yes they had a drowning last year with a 6 year old. I agree with the above statement. Their guarding practices are poor. Do not take your eyes off your young swimmer until you are confident they will not drown.

Free WI FI, clean locker rooms, good equipment and good classes early and after work (not so much during the day).

Posted by: ignore ()
Date: December 24, 2008 04:41AM

There was a guy named Rick at the old Gold's in Burke. What a cocksucker meat head that guy was. Is he working at the new one by chance?

Date: December 24, 2008 07:59AM

nope rick is not there, never heard of him.

Posted by: GymRat ()
Date: December 24, 2008 10:17AM

Ive been a member at both Fairfax Lifetime and Fairfax Station Gold's.

When Lifetime first opened in FX, it was a beautiful, well maintained gym and I enjoyed working out there, although it can get very crowded.

When I graduated college and decided to join the new Gold's in FX Station, it was for lower rates.

Recently, I guested at Lifetime with a member and was shocked at how poorly maintained Lifetime is. Lifetime is probably close to ten years old now, and the equipment shows it. the Group exercise classes at lifetime are pretty good, though.

the equipment at golds is newer and better maintained. i have had nothing but positive experiences working out at golds, and i am there three to five times a week.

i was very unsatisifed by my latest encounter with lifetime, and support the FX Station Golds. the staff is friendly and courteous, and it has never been so crowded as to bother my workout.

Date: December 24, 2008 07:52PM

If you need a trainer at Gold's Choose Dave Salinas. I can tell you he is the best. I had the Joe Theisman break three years ago and I was 40 lbs. overwieght. I hired Dave and he worked on getting my leg back in shape first. ( I refused PT at ortho office) After the let was able to stretch and get full movement, we worked on getting me in shape. At the time I was 58 years old, not an easy age or physical problems to train. To make a long story short. I worked with Dave for over 16 months earning a before and after pic on the Hall of Fame. I ran a 10k race last june and came in first for my age group. Dave is an awesome trainer and he gave me lots of advice about nutrition, healthy life style. Bym the way, I now weigh 35 and I am pretty muscular. I work out with kettle bells now at Washington Sports Club where I work because I am fortunate to get a huge discount on training.

Trickie
PS My name is not Trickie But David knows who I am. I went in to see hima month ago. His clients are fortunate to have him as a trainer. He's very good to look at too, ladies. Looking at him first thin in the AM sure made it easy to wake up at 6 am.

Date: December 24, 2008 07:54PM

Correction up above. I weigh 135 not 35. I would never want to be one of them anorexia girls.

Trickie

Date: December 24, 2008 08:45PM

oooh trickie now i am one step closer to finding out who you really are. dave is the man, just gotta look at the picture on the hall of fame!

Date: December 24, 2008 09:00PM

Just ask him. He will remember. He would tell me all about his lovely girlfriend, now wife. I remember when he popped the question.

Trickie

Date: December 24, 2008 09:54PM

just ask him what? if he knows someone named trickie who posts on fairfax underground? he has like 50 clients right now.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.