HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Editorial: We’re teaching our kids racism and it needs to stop
Posted by: Stop the Madness!!! ()
Date: June 23, 2014 08:15AM

Editorial: We’re teaching our kids racism and it needs to stop
http://www.insidenova.com/opinion/editorial-we-re-teaching-our-kids-racism-and-it-needs/article_bfa490fa-fa85-11e3-8c7a-0019bb2963f4.html

Maybe we were naïve to think the days of blatant racism in Virginia were over. Maybe that’s why we found it so shocking that not only did a white high school soccer player call a black Hylton High School player “nigga” during a scuffle on the field, he also admitted to it without embarrassment or remorse on his Twitter account.

“I told this kid, ‘Get off me nigga’ and he punched me and got a red card,” wrote the senior player from Grassfield High School in Chesapeake.

What happened on the field during the June 6 semifinal playoffs between Grassfield and Hylton quickly drew passionate responses from readers, parents and school officials on both sides, and is now the subject of an investigation by Prince William police.

The Hylton player, Austin Black, is seen in a video pushing the Grassfield player on the field. But – Hylton officials say – only after the Grassfield player pushed and provoked him with the racial epithet first. Black was red-carded – tossed from the game and forbidden from playing in the next two. The Grassfield player was given a warning and allowed to continue playing.

Hylton appealed Black’s suspension to the Virginia High School League and lost. The VHSL gave Grassfield a warning about unsportsmanlike conduct, and put the team on a year’s notice.

And that’s it.

No public apology from Grassfield, no talk of sensitivity training, no real punishment from the VHSL. Just a lot of arguing in the comments on our web stories and in social media – much of that a disturbing commentary all by itself.

“Why is this even a story?” one reader wrote.

“It’s just name calling,” said another. “This is kid needs to grow tougher skin.”

“What about the reverse racism?” wrote another.

Maybe Austin Black did deserve the red card for losing his temper. Maybe some Hylton kids did behave badly in the aftermath, fueling the situation with taunts on social media.

But that’s not the issue.

What worries us is the unapologetic racism displayed by the Grassfield player and that it is seemingly tolerated, especially by adults.

Say whatever you want, but you can’t cry name-calling or reverse racism in a situation like this. Calling a white person a “redneck” is not and never will be the same as calling a black person a “nigga.” Growing tougher skin is not the answer to dealing with open racism.

And the fact that some black people use the term amongst themselves is also beside the point. It’s not the same, and it will never be OK, for a white person to address a black person by that term.

According to the African American Registry, a national education association, the word “nigger” is derived from the Latin word for black – niger – but was more than likely mispronounced “nigger” in the American south. By the early 1800s, the word was “firmly established as a derogatory name,” the registry says on its website. “In the 21st century, it remains a principal term of white racism, regardless of who is using it.”

It’s not too hard to figure out where this Grassfield kid learned his behavior. Children aren’t born knowing hate, we teach them.

We hope this incident serves as a wake up call and won’t be written off by parents, coaches, players and the VHSL. Why should it be OK for the Grassfield player who said the word, and for his team who laughed about it, to get away with such a disgusting display?

It’s time we take a hard look at what we’re instilling our kids. It’s pretty ugly, isn’t it?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Editorial: We’re teaching our kids racism and it needs to stop
Posted by: Nig Nog ()
Date: June 23, 2014 08:20AM

Nigs gonna nig.

Posted by: yes, stop the madness ()
Date: June 23, 2014 08:34AM

What's worse, being called a "nigger" or having your head cracked open by a group of niggers calling you white boy or cracker, as they steal your wallet? Is it worse to be called a "nigger" or have your life destroyed because your brother has brain damage after being jumped and beaten by a group of niggers while coming home from a movie? Does being called a "nigger" really hurt as much as having your jaw wired shut after being sucker punched by a nigger playing "the knockout game"?
That's what needs to be addressed. The black on white racism is prevalent yet ignored by white pussies like "stop the madness"

Posted by: Worthless Fucktard ()
Date: June 23, 2014 08:44AM

Nig Nog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nigs gonna nig.

Assholes gonna asshole.

Posted by: Go Fuck Yourself Asshole ()
Date: June 23, 2014 08:46AM

yes, stop the madness Wrote:
> What's worse, being called a "nigger" or having
> your head cracked open by a group of niggers
> calling you white boy or cracker, as they steal
> your wallet? Is it worse to be called a "nigger"
> or have your life destroyed because your brother
> has brain damage after being jumped and beaten by
> a group of niggers while coming home from a movie?
> Does being called a "nigger" really hurt as much
> as having your jaw wired shut after being sucker
> punched by a nigger playing "the knockout game"?
> That's what needs to be addressed. The black on
> white racism is prevalent yet ignored by white
> pussies like "stop the madness"

I hope you are hit by a bus next, you racist scum.

Posted by: Trayvonmartin ()
Date: June 23, 2014 08:47AM

Yep. Still an asshole. Still dead.

OP = faggot, btw.

Posted by: Op is faggot ()
Date: June 23, 2014 09:13AM

-
Attachments:
image.jpg

Posted by: eff ewe. ()
Date: June 23, 2014 09:16AM

Retardz

Posted by: Teach the Truth ()
Date: June 23, 2014 09:23AM

Parents should teach their kids the truth - they are 10 times more likely to be victim of a violent attack by blacks than by people of any other race. They should prepare accordingly. To hide or deny the truth is doing kids a disservice.

Posted by: Snarky remark ()
Date: June 23, 2014 09:31AM

The word of the day is "compromise".

Posted by: JFTHJKJGH ()
Date: June 23, 2014 09:42AM

Fortunately, my kid's elementary school has very few blacks.

No, I'm not telling you which one.

Posted by: Decrapitated ()
Date: June 23, 2014 09:50AM

I dont think we're teaching kids racism. I think we're teaching them self preservation. Dont hang around with negroes and you will probably live longer. Even if they arent trying to kill you, you can get killed as collateral damage just being with negroes as they have no qualms about killing each other. They are a violent and savage race.

They call each other nigga all the time. What's the big deal?

Posted by: Oblamer In Chief ()
Date: June 23, 2014 09:58AM

It starts at the top
Attachments:
Obama Hand on Heart.jpg

Posted by: Que? ()
Date: June 23, 2014 10:00AM

"Say whatever you want, but you can’t cry name-calling or reverse racism in a situation like this. Calling a white person a “redneck” is not and never will be the same as calling a black person a “nigga.” Growing tougher skin is not the answer to dealing with open racism."

It isn't the same because we simply don't care The difference is the reaction. Perhaps we "rednecks" simply have thicker skin. It's not meant to be a sweeping statement; I know some black folk that can be called "nigga" all day and they'll just laugh. I don't know any that would take it really personally, and that's by design, however, a majority of the entitled and those looking for a reason to call "RACISM!" will start screaming before you can even get the third letter out. There's something wrong with people who are of the mentality that words can hurt you without your permission.

"It’s not too hard to figure out where this Grassfield kid learned his behavior. Children aren’t born knowing hate, we teach them."

You're right. We are teaching them. "We", being black, so-called musicians, black athletes, black entertainers and most of their teenage black peers. If someone hears something enough they're going to eventually start saying it too.

The most racist thing I found about this article was the article itself.

White. Guilt.

Posted by: class over race ()
Date: June 23, 2014 10:00AM

there are plenty of white hispanic black and even asian niggas

stick to your class and everyone will be happy race isnt the issue

Posted by: bmPCc ()
Date: June 23, 2014 03:21PM

Seems like our society has gotten over sensitive about stuff. What's next? Removing Ronald McDonald because some people have a phobia about clowns?
Attachments:
ronald-mcdonald1.jpg

Posted by: ronald in the hood ()
Date: June 23, 2014 03:50PM

That reminds me when I was a kid and we were going to an Orioles game when they played at the old stadium on 33rd street. We stopped at a McDonalds near the stadium and when we walked in, we were the only white people in there. I looked around and on the wall was a giant Ronald McDonald, except it was a nigger Ronald McDonald. When my frined's dad walked in and saw it, he grabbed us and said, "let's get the hell out of here" We went on to the game and just got ballpark hot dogs, but I'll never forget the image of the black Ronald.

Posted by: Y7Mhk ()
Date: June 23, 2014 06:18PM

Oblamer In Chief Wrote:
> It starts at the top

cia gave her a fake code book and are still laughing about it

they lost the real one in an email server crash

Posted by: FxMpx ()
Date: June 23, 2014 07:37PM

The ONLY way this article flies is if the roles were reversed and the black kid called the white kid a nigga etc...

The exact same article would need to be written about the black kid using racial remarks.

When that happens, I will pay attention. Until then, this is a double standard aimed only at non-blacks.

When a non-black person can sue for being called a nigga or nigger we are on equal ground.

When a black person can be fired or lose their careers for saying nigga or nigger, we will be on equal ground.

So many non-black people have lost so much for saying a word, ridiculous.

Posted by: I hate clowns ()
Date: June 23, 2014 08:33PM

bmPCc Wrote:
> Seems like our society has gotten over sensitive
> about stuff. What's next? Removing Ronald McDonald
> because some people have a phobia about clowns?

I hate clowns. Maybe I should sue.

Posted by: Ghjjjjjhhfd ()
Date: June 23, 2014 08:38PM

FxMpx Wrote:
> The ONLY way this article flies is if the roles
> were reversed and the black kid called the white
> kid a nigga etc...
>
> The exact same article would need to be written
> about the black kid using racial remarks.
>
> When that happens, I will pay attention. Until
> then, this is a double standard aimed only at
> non-blacks.
>
> When a non-black person can sue for being called a
> nigga or nigger we are on equal ground.
>
> When a black person can be fired or lose their
> careers for saying nigga or nigger, we will be on
> equal ground.
>
> So many non-black people have lost so much for
> saying a word, ridiculous.

Yup, it's in our employee handbook. Call someone a nigger at work and it's instant dismissal.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.