HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Ashburn School Provides Stage For SOL Reform Bill Signing
Posted by: NOVA Politics! ()
Date: June 12, 2014 02:55PM

Ashburn School Provides Stage For SOL Reform Bill Signing
http://www.insidenova.com/news/loudoun/ashburn-school-provides-stage-for-sol-reform-bill-signing/article_b478e496-9449-5a0f-a98f-6fdf47415f21.html

Friday may be their last day of school for the year, but the students at Newton-Lee Elementary School knew today was a pretty big deal, too. The governor was paying a visit.

“He’s going to make a new law so we don’t have to take as many tests,” fourth grader Jayden McCoy said as he waited for Gov. Terry McAuliffe to arrive.

“I’m really happy about this,” classmate Kylie Perkins chimed in. “No one I know likes the SOLs.”

They’re right, mostly.

To the shouts and cheers of a gym-full of students, teachers, parents and some of the top education and political leaders in the state, McAuliffe signed a bill into law that overhauls the state’s Standards of Learning mandates, requiring 23 percent fewer tests.

And before he put pen to paper, McAuliffe expressed similar sentiments about the standardized tests as the students.

“Our students are taking a number of tests and then taking tests to get ready for the tests. At the end of the day they’re learning to be champions at taking multiple choice bubble tests,” he said. “We’d rather see some critical reasoning and cognitive thought process going on because that’s how we know that you’re learning what you need for 21st century jobs.”

The legislation, championed by Del. Tag Greason (R-32) and Del. K. Robert Krupicka Jr. (D-45), both of whom were in attendance, will reduce the number of SOL exams students in grades three through eight take from 22 to 17 beginning this fall. It promises to also make reforms to the exams to move away from multiple choice and toward questions that will better test students’ problem solving and critical thinking skills.

To continue working on long-term assessment reforms, the new law establishes a Standards of Learning Innovation Committee under the leadership of Education Secretary Anne Holton, who also was in attendance at this morning’s event.

Before the signing, fourth grade students presented a skit to illustrate for their peers the process in which a bill, specifically HB 930, becomes law. Playing roles as legislators, the students showed the bill moving from the House Education Committee, which Greason chairs, to the full House of Delegates, then to the Senate and finally signed by the governor, played by student Jack Madigan.

“How can we draft this bill to help students but still know how much they’re learning,” Jack asked.

“Why don’t we have them take fewer tests,” another student said.

“Yeah, let’s do that,” the students announced in unison.

Greason, who is a frequent guest speaker at Newton-Lee where his daughter Grace is in third grade, commended the students for explaining the process. “This one was a little more complicated,” he said.

He said he first met with McAuliffe after he was elected last year to talk about how together Republicans and Democrats could make real changes to how Virginia measures student success.

The legislation underwent about 20 revisions through input from legislators in the House of Delegates and the Senate, and education leaders including superintendents and teachers from around the state.

“We took input from everyone because this is important and getting this law right was very, very important to all of us,” Greason said.

Greason and McAuliffe gently explained to the students that they are in different political parties, but the SOL reform bill is an example of politicians putting aside differences to work together.

“We come from two different parties but that does not mean that we can’t come together, sit at a table, find a compromise and come out with a great idea,” McAuliffe said, not mentioning the fight over the state budget that continues in Richmond this week. “Today really is a great day for all of us.”
Attachments:
5398a98b1e492_image.jpg
5398a98707068_image.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Taking a stand against SOLs
Posted by: S.D. Smarrelli, The Plains ()
Date: June 13, 2014 01:13PM

Taking a stand against SOLs
http://www.fairfaxtimes.com/article/20140613/OPINION/140619338/1065/taking-a-stand-against-sols&template=fairfaxTimes

With testing season once again upon us, I wanted to share why I have decided that my eighth-grade son will not take any of his SOL tests this year.

I don’t take this decision lightly, as it could impact his teachers and school.

My son most likely would have passed all his SOLs. However, the state of Virginia will record my “refusal” of his SOL testing as though he failed the tests, which makes no sense but seems designed to discourage parents from opting-out their students.

Since the SOL tests are required for high school graduation, this is my last chance to take a stand.

As a parent I never liked SOL testing, but didn’t realize just how detrimental it is to our children’s education. However, since switching careers and becoming a teacher, I have now seen firsthand how standardized testing is destroying the public education experience for many students.

My reasons for refusing to have my son take the SOLs:

• There are too many tests. Did you know that in Virginia students take 34 standardized tests before they graduate? (Actually, we’ve had a small victory, as this number recently was reduced by the Virginia Department of Education — let’s hope this is a step in the right direction.) Starting in third grade, school often becomes a monotony of test prep, monthly or quarterly benchmark assessments, and computerized testing sessions.

• You can’t measure an entire year’s learning with just one test. We should be using multiple assessments throughout the year to judge a student’s mastery of a subject. Collecting materials in a portfolio for each student would be a much better display of their learning growth throughout the year, rather than relying on one single test. Just think of all the factors that could cause a student to “fail” the SOL, even if all year long they have shown mastery of the content material. What if they don’t feel well? Didn’t eat a good breakfast? Had a fight with their mom, dad or sibling right before coming to school? Didn’t get a good night’s sleep because they share a bed (yes, a bed, not a bedroom — there are students in this situation) with one or two of their siblings? There are so many circumstances that could impact a student’s performance on test day.

• The curriculum is too dense, forcing teachers to follow such accelerated pacing schedules that students often gain just surface knowledge, rather than a deep understanding of a subject. Teachers must often rush through a topic just to get it covered, often creating limits on truly creative thinking and discussion about a subject. This quote from Dr. Peter Gray, Ph.D., research professor at Boston College, and author of “Free to Learn,” makes sense: “… it is no wonder that children have become ever less creative as our schools have become ever more centered on testing and evaluation.”

While I do apologize to my son’s teachers and school if his “refusal” to test causes issues, I don’t apologize to the Virginia Department of Education or to the federal education regulators who are the real demons in enforcing the standardized testing movement.

S.D. Smarrelli, The Plains

Options: ReplyQuote

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.