HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Does anyone here NOT ENJOY living in Clifton
Posted by: To people of Clifton ()
Date: May 17, 2014 09:29AM

DH found a house he likes in Clifton. It's nice enough (not one of the mansions, btw), but I'm not sure I'd enjoy living in Clifton.

We currently live in Fairfax and everything is convenient. Roads are easy to travel. Lots of sunlight.

Many parts of Clifton are overgrown, houses can be located what seems like in the middle of nowhere. Just getting out of Clifton could take 20-30 minutes.

We have friends in Clifton and have talked to residents and everyone LOVES Clifton.

Unless we could afford one of the mansions or live closer to 123, I don't think it's worth the move. DH disagrees.

What do people here think about Clifton? Anyone regret moving there?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Does anyone here NOT ENJOY living in Clifton
Posted by: Depends ()
Date: May 17, 2014 12:50PM

It really depends - when people say "Clifton" it could mean one of three things:

- Little Rocky Run - which should really be called Centreville. It's convenient to shopping & the major arteries, but it's full of housewives and cookie-cutter houses.

- The "town" - which is nice but the homes are all very old. The town sees a lot of rush-hour and constant weekend traffic. It's also not very convenient to the major roads. Some would say that is the only place that should be called "Clifton".

- The rest of zip 20124 - mostly large lots, many large homes but some small/old ones too. In my opinion this is the best part of Clifton, especially the parts with easy access to Clifton Rd north of town. Downsides are: no sidewalks, very little community feel. Upsides: great privacy and "rural" living yet relatively close to everything. Great schools too.

Let me know which one you mean, but honestly I don't think you can go wrong with the last two (LRR is a different story)

Posted by: Timberidge ()
Date: May 17, 2014 01:03PM

I designed and built my house in Timberidge. We don't need any poor liberals living in Clifton. Please stick with Manassas, Dale City, Chantilly, Centerville or some other slum.

Posted by: Not Clifton ()
Date: May 17, 2014 02:13PM

Yeah - except Timberidge is in 22039 (Fairfax Station) - NOT 20124 (Clifton). Fairfax Station - yuck - you might as well as a Prince William County address.

Posted by: Never been there ()
Date: May 17, 2014 03:10PM

I ENJOY NOT living there.

Posted by: My Two Cents ()
Date: May 17, 2014 03:13PM

A number of years ago, I really wanted to live in 'the country' (or as close as we get to it around here). We bought a house on five acres about a mile from the town of Clifton. It was seemingly peaceful, surrounded by woods. Unfortunately, however, we had one close neighbor...who spent all his free time working on junker cars. Lesson learned...one asshole can make your life miserable. And without a HOA, there's not a whole lot you can do.

We also lived on a gravel road, which looked quaint at first. That got real old real fast. We had a pool. Wonderful, right? Tons of maintenance and can complicate resale.

Then we had kids. There used to be a real sense of community when Clifton Elementary was open. That's how you got to know your neighbors - at least those with children. Unfortunately, the county made the ridiculous, politically motivated decision to close the school several years go. I would think twice before moving to Clifton (area code) if you have kids. It can be very isolating.

Finally - and this could just be me - it gets really spooky at night in an isolated house with no street lights when your husband isn't around. Hard to describe.

Having said all of that, The town of Clifton is adorable and the outskirts can be amazingly beautiful. It all comes down to what you, your husband, and your kids want at this stage in your life.

Posted by: Clifton day ()
Date: May 18, 2014 12:02PM

Clifton is great. Can't wait till another rainy day on Clifton day. Where they never honor a rain date and rip off the venders and the poor soaked people. They put a rain date up and will not honor it because of the VRE train stopping. It will cost the town too much money. Clifton sucks and I'm stuck living here. Yet I pretend it's a great place to other people.

Posted by: ShiteAter ()
Date: May 18, 2014 02:17PM

Timberidge Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I designed and built my house in Timberidge. We
> don't need any poor liberals living in Clifton.
> Please stick with Manassas, Dale City, Chantilly,
> Centerville or some other slum.

You stupid Clifton mother fuckers have been shitting in
Your own water supply for so long the wells are full
Of feces and you still don't want city sewer and water.
As soon as you stupid bastards allow utilities you
Will get your schools back. Stupid mother fuckers!

Posted by: jimmydean ()
Date: May 18, 2014 05:48PM

Better to have fecal water than fluoride water!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: 0tter ()
Date: May 18, 2014 08:03PM

News flash! Nowhere in NoVA is the middle of nowhere.

Posted by: Clifton sucks ()
Date: May 19, 2014 03:43PM

They do have shit water. I wouldn't drink that water if you paid me. It is a secret the town hides about the water. The town is really sad.

Posted by: iTroll! ()
Date: May 19, 2014 04:11PM

Can't say, I don't live there.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.