HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
wireless internet @ fcps
Posted by: Aaron ()
Date: April 17, 2006 10:29AM

how can i set up my laptop to access the wifi and my fairfax county public school? when i turn on my wifi card on my laptop, it says there is no available network (my card is working fine, i use it at home) however, on the schools laptops you have wireless internet access...any thoughts??

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: wireless internet @ fcps
Posted by: T-DAWG ()
Date: April 17, 2006 10:43AM

Fairfax High School uses a laptop cart, and the hotspot is with that and is turned on when the laptops are used. There are no constant hotspots in our school until it has been turned on at the cart. At least, this is the case at FHS.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: April 17, 2006 01:55PM

well... im betting they use WEP... all you really have to do is use AirSnort for a while to crack the key. why not just jack into the wall... atleast where i was there were plenty of ports

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: unsecured ()
Date: April 18, 2006 07:10PM

TJHSST has unsecured wireless with hotspots all over the school. previously, the hotspots were on the carts, but still unsecured.

Posted by: Aaron ()
Date: April 19, 2006 10:09AM

i appreciate the help guys, but let me explain in a bit more detail whats going on. im at woodson. we haev hot spots all throughout the school, however my wireless card can not find them..they only seeem to show up if you log into the schools network (which is still done wirelessly)..i guess the real question is how can i do that?

thanks again for the help

Date: April 20, 2006 10:10AM

you should use one of those tools (software) that shows signal strength. that is your best method of finding anything worth connecting to.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: asdf ()
Date: April 20, 2006 03:42PM

Oakton High School has a wireless network throughout the school and even outside of the school too. Many fairfax county schools has this now and theyre not hot spots. Most of the networks are unsecured but the reason why you can't find it on your laptop because its not on broadband. It doesn't broadcast the network name so what you have to do is you have to know the network name to connect to the network. Usually doesnt require a password but you need the network id to access it.

Posted by: hroo772 ()
Date: May 01, 2006 04:41PM

I am an user at different highschools. Currently all of those access points scattered around the public schools all use the same ssid. It is without quotes of course "FCPS". You need to keep it all capitals or it wont work. Also there is no WEP, it is an open network. Have fun kids, dont get caught using it because 'technically' students aren't soposed to use the wireless network yet.

Posted by: TrickieL ()
Date: May 01, 2006 10:23PM

Ask your tech person to help you (if you can find him/her) Ours were always out to lunch literally!!!!1

TrickieL

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: May 08, 2006 11:54PM

According to a techie I asked at the county admin building, the ssid is "FCPS" and no password/quotes. Free internet but no network drive. Plugging into wall requires username and password. All schools now have things on the walls near the ceiling that are hotspots. That pic at the bottom is basically what they are, they say "cisco aironet [model number] | wireless acess point. That's what you need. Any laptop should get on, I do it whenever I'm there. What's this BS about students cant use it, they've had it for at least a year. And the laptop carts have the thing too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2007 02:39PM by KeepOnTruckin.
Attachments:
cisco aironet.jpg

Date: May 09, 2006 07:19AM

KeepOnTruckin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> According to a techie I asked at CVHS, the ssid is
> "FCPS" and no password/quotes. Free internet but
> no network drive. Plugging into wall requires
> username and password.

now that is network security. :)

Posted by: William ()
Date: October 10, 2007 06:23PM

Okay they just recently put a password on the wireless. I am trying to get it with my ipod touch but it needs a password. Anyone know it?

Date: October 10, 2007 08:30PM

William Wrote:
> Okay they just recently put a password on the
> wireless. I am trying to get it with my ipod touch
> but it needs a password. Anyone know it?

steps to getting network passwords from the security impaired:

1) install hardware based keystroke logger on a faculty computer
2) wait for them to log in
3) retrieve keystroke logger
4) look at keystrokes to determine login and password
5) die in a fire

Posted by: Finch ()
Date: October 11, 2007 01:52PM

I hate to say this, but it's difficult to get free Wi-Fi in Ffx County. You have to really drive around to find good spots. (I bought a Wi-Fi Hotspot scanner for my keychain for $20 at the Fair Lakes Walmart which works very well. It gives me a 0-4 scale of signal strength, but unfortunately doesn't tell me if it's a secure or open connection).

You're best bet?
Buy a wireless network card. Not a wi-fi card, but one of the ones where you pay a monthly fee and it dials into the network. If you have the extra money, it works like a cell phone, and I hear it works well.

When are they going to make it so that you can access the internet through your laptop via your cellphone?

Posted by: Kiev ()
Date: October 11, 2007 02:12PM

Like a broadband wireless card?

yeah, all of the local cell companies offer it.

Posted by: Lester Burnham ()
Date: October 11, 2007 03:03PM

Kiev Wrote:
> Like a broadband wireless card?
>
> yeah, all of the local cell companies offer it.

I have the Verizon broadband card and it works great. I travel the East coast from Boston to Miami and have yet to find an area where I cannot get a decent signal. It even worked on a friend's boat while cruising from DC to Norfolk.

Don't have any idea what it costs since it is direct billed to my company.

Date: October 11, 2007 03:13PM

its like $60 a a month
yeah, verizon rules. EVDO all the way.

GSM signal doesnt come close

Posted by: Lester Burnham ()
Date: October 11, 2007 03:15PM

Finch Wrote:
> I hate to say this, but it's difficult to get free
> Wi-Fi in Ffx County. You have to really drive
> around to find good spots.

Not sure whether this helps, but Panera Bread locations offer a free WiFi hotspot. They have locations in Fairfax Cit (across from Paul VI), Fairfax Town Center (near the old Tower Records) and in Centreville. There are a lot of places with T-Mobile hotspots, but the daily and subscription rates are very high.

I spent a lot of time drinking coffee at Panera a couple of years ago when I was job hunting and you will almost always find somone there with their laptop. Tables near an electric outlet can be a premium and they have a policy asking you not to simply sit and hang out during busy periods around lunch time.

I also think that the Saxby's coffee shop in the University Mall has a free hotspot.

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: October 11, 2007 03:57PM

FWIW, the Panera in Tysons also has free wi-fi. It's always filled with people and their laptops, so you actually might not be able to find a seat. I've used their connection a few times and it seemed pretty fast, even when there were at least 20+ people using it at the same time. I swear, people camp out in there all day with their machines.

Date: October 11, 2007 04:21PM

If you live near a large apartment complex, free wifi is never a problem.

just pick any "LINKSYS" access point :)

Date: October 11, 2007 09:36PM

I cant install a key logger because I am not an admin. And I dont need a teachers password I need the key to the access point.

Anyone know the password for fcpssecure network?

Date: October 12, 2007 01:37AM

William Wrote:
> I cant install a key logger because I am not an
> admin. And I dont need a teachers password I need
> the key to the access point.

let's review what i wrote.

Gravis
1) install hardware based keystroke logger on a faculty computer
2) wait for them to log in
3) retrieve keystroke logger
4) look at keystrokes to determine login and password
5) die in a fire

there is no fucking software to install you fucktard.
http://www.keelog.com

please go directly to step 5.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2007 02:06AM by Gravis.

Date: October 14, 2007 03:03PM

So Thats not going to give me the password to the network it gives me the teachers login

Date: October 14, 2007 05:32PM

William,
you are pathetic, im done with you.

Posted by: Mofo ()
Date: October 14, 2007 06:56PM

How about instead of doing things that will get yourself expelled from school just accept the fact you won't be able to use the school wireless and show off to your friends what a ub3r l33t h4x()R you are.

Posted by: L&D RN ()
Date: October 14, 2007 08:28PM

Try using dial-up and see what that will do for you.

Posted by: Roberto ()
Date: October 23, 2007 07:58PM

at FCHS, i have seen numerous people use the "secure" conection. According to my sources the password (at FCHS) is simply: FCPS . I have never tried, i hope to eventually with my ipod touch, good luck and than all of you for the help.

Posted by: jack ()
Date: December 03, 2007 06:42PM

does anyone know the wi-fi WEP code for South county secondary school located in fairfax county?

Date: December 05, 2007 11:09PM

jack Wrote:
> does anyone know the wi-fi WEP code for South
> county secondary school located in fairfax county?

yes.

Posted by: FCPSADMIN ()
Date: December 10, 2007 04:26PM

We have began to phase out our unsecure wireless network, the wireless network if not done already will be WEP encrypted as well as have various other security/authentication checks behind it. i.e. you can't connect to wireless unless you use a FCPS laptop. and no..our password for it is not as simple as FCPS, we're a little smarter than you guys.

Date: December 10, 2007 07:54PM

Fortunatley all FCPS staff members now have laptops, so this is not a big consideration. it jsut prevents punk kids with PSP's getting free interweb access at school.

The problem FCPS has is with its VPN. If a teacher is at, say, the county admin center, and wishes to log on to their account at a high school, which is a different domain than the admin center, there have been problems in the past with this crashing the entire FCPS network. Some HS domains are no longer in use, but its still funny when some teacher breaks the whole network.

BTW. The cafe at the admin center is run by the same people who provide the normal school lunch, and yet the food at the admin center is 1000% better. go figure.

Date: December 10, 2007 09:18PM

FCPSADMIN Wrote:
> We have began to phase out our unsecure wireless
> network, the wireless network if not done already
> will be WEP encrypted

WEP = really weak encryption.

> as well as have various
> other security/authentication checks behind it.

your network is only as secure as the users on it.

> i.e. you can't connect to wireless unless you use
> a FCPS laptop. and no..our password for it is not
> as simple as FCPS, we're a little smarter than you
> guys.

if you were really smarter than i am, you would know that your security is only strong enough to keep out children.

Posted by: sf ()
Date: December 10, 2007 09:29PM

You do realize that FCPS is an acadmic organization where the goal is to educate the community right? Its not an IT Security organization, we're mearly here to support the academics, not to lock out students or try to make their lives miserable by blocking websites, if a principle complains we block it. Not like we sit there watchin you guys. And if you're an adult, why the hell are you trying to hack into the FCPS network..stalking kids??? want to change your grades from a few years ago?? go hack into something else and then be proud of yourself

Date: December 10, 2007 09:49PM

hey, i wasnt the one touting the security of my network, you were. the only reason i would hack the network is to simply spite you... then lock out your admin rights and lockdown the box so it would a massive pain just to restore it all. you have fail-overs and backups right? so i guess it's not a problem. ^_^

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: December 11, 2007 10:46AM

Gravis is right... off-the-net tools have made it a 1-2-3 process to hack WEP encryption. Good luck keeping your wifi network secure.

Any good admin, however, would use multi-layered security, and even a crappy security admin knows better than to entertain speculation or engage in any other conversation regarding their network's security measures, especially on a website. Thus I believe FCPS Admin is either really sloppy and bad at their job, or is in fact, posing as a admin and doesn't know jack shit. What a change that would be for this site.

The only thing I can say for sure is this: if an admin believes their organization's mission is a good enough moral deterrent against potential break-ins, they have no idea how the minds of the people who would do such a thing work.

Date: December 11, 2007 03:33PM

sf Wrote:
> You do realize that FCPS is an acadmic
> organization where the goal is to educate the
> community right? Its not an IT Security
> organization, we're mearly here to support the
> academics, not to lock out students or try to make
> their lives miserable by blocking websites, if a
> principle complains we block it. Not like we sit
> there watchin you guys. And if you're an adult,
> why the hell are you trying to hack into the FCPS
> network..stalking kids??? want to change your
> grades from a few years ago?? go hack into
> something else and then be proud of yourself

Bull Shit!

Very recently (perhaps the last month or so) FCPS has propogated a new internet blocking policy which is in effect county wide. Any website which is blocked by one school or center becomes blocked on all county computers. Even employees cannot view any blocked sites. In addition, if any student (not sure about staff) types in the address of a blocked site, a window will pop up and flash red on an administrator's computer saying who the student is and what they typed in. And if that werent enough, all sites which have banned words in them are blocked. (For instance, if one were to view an online news article with the word myspace in it, the page would be blocekd and an admin would be notified. Also all sites which mention the word proxy are blocked, to prevent "those punk kids from circumventing our defenses which keep them from viewing those websites which are contrary to FCPS's mission"

read Regulation 6410 and 6240 for more info on content blocking.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2007 03:35PM by KeepOnTruckin.

Posted by: bob ()
Date: December 12, 2007 08:21PM

they are using WEP. my ppc confirms it.

The problem is, my ppc can't crack wep...

Date: December 15, 2007 07:03AM

bob Wrote:
> they are using WEP. my ppc confirms it.
>
> The problem is, my ppc can't crack wep...

no, the problem is you bought a ppc. btw... im betting you can use it to crack wep, you just dont know where to get the app.

Posted by: Nik ()
Date: December 16, 2007 11:27PM

It's been a couple years since I've logged in with this, so it may not be valid anymore, but if I recall correctly, this should give you more rights on a local machine at Chantilly.

User: cthstech
Pass: 2250qwaszx

Whenever something was broken in the Academy, I was the first person they'd call. They logged in for me so I couldn't see the password, but I looked over someone's shoulder while they were typing it.

Again, no idea if this still works.

----------------
WHERE'S THE BEEF

Date: December 17, 2007 03:20PM

Ah, back in the day when people played counterstrike on the Video editing comps at chantilly acad.

With the move to the domain fcpsedu, most people's accounts have many more rights, like access to control panel and command prompt. No access to User Accounts however.

I know if you wanted full admin rights, you would log onto the computer itself (when choosing domain, put "this computer") and then username and pass were both "student" but you couldnt change anything that required the network. You could save things to the hard drive on the local machine, however. Thats probably been removed though due to people screwing up the computers

Date: December 17, 2007 07:55PM

oh yes, physically accessible machines = no security.

need to reset the admin password? use the "Offline NT Password & Registry Editor, Bootdisk / CD" which is one of the many tools that comes on Ultimate Boot CD.

cant boot the cd because the BIOS/CMOS has it disabled and is password locked? use KillCMOS to reset the CMOS memory.

Date: December 18, 2007 12:44AM

why would any admin worth their salt disable the cd boot and not disable the floppy boot?

Date: December 18, 2007 02:51AM

RESton Peace Wrote:
> why would any admin worth their salt disable the
> cd boot and not disable the floppy boot?

KillCMOS is an DOS/Win32 application, not bootable media.

Date: December 18, 2007 03:00AM

yeah I saw that when I actually clicked on the link, but nice heads-up. Can't take away someone's execute access in windows without making it useless.

Posted by: OVER ()
Date: December 18, 2007 12:56PM

OK, bye bye, Merry Christmas.

Its over. Bye bye, Happy Holidays, Bye bye, children, go brush your teeth and got to bed, Bye bye, good night, it's all over. all over, all over all over, bye bye bye bye bye all over, yep bye bye bye.

Posted by: billy bob joe smith ()
Date: February 04, 2008 08:24AM

hey, i get on to my school's wifi all of the time, there are up 12 hidden SSID's. a SSID is the name of the network. as long as you know the SSID, you can connect to the network. one was that could could find the SSID is by: loging onto the internet using a school laptop. notice i said a LAPTOP. the laptop will connect to the strongest connection.2. click on te icon, that has a computer, with three little lines to the right of it. it is in the bottom of the screen, next to the time. you wanna duble click on that.3. under the "general" tab, you will see where it says"network" you look to the right of that, and you will see the SSID. mine is "fcpssecure" (in alll lowercase.) the only 2 i know is, "fcpssecure" and "FCPS" you want to take the SSID and put it into your laptop, and then try to connect. it should work. if it doesnt, tell me and i will try to fix your problem.

Posted by: billy joe toliver ()
Date: February 04, 2008 11:58AM

Thats awesome,

What school do you go to...

Date: February 04, 2008 04:57PM

Yes becuase the laptop is programmed to work with the WEP encryption. Learn to read.

Date: February 08, 2008 08:41AM

the how come i can get on to the wifi on my ipod touch, hot shot?

Posted by: Samuel ()
Date: February 26, 2008 06:18PM

Yah, I can access to Wi-Fi at my high school using SSID: FCPS

Even teachers are using it on their own laptop or blackberries

Posted by: wigger ()
Date: February 26, 2008 07:00PM

hey genius, they hid their network.

just set it up manually and the network name should be FCPS, and the password should be fcps (no caps).

thats how it is at Westfield, at least

Date: March 03, 2008 07:44AM

at my school there is no password. All you have to do is typein fcps and your golden

Posted by: Bob G ()
Date: March 13, 2008 10:23PM

i go to thoreau Middle School and i was wondering of anybody knows the key to

fcpssecure

my fiends and i have been trying to connect to it with our ipod touch's and it seems to have a key

can someone please tell me keys that i should try or software to crack the key

i greatly appreciate this
thanks

Date: June 03, 2008 08:46AM

bob. i wont NEVER try to access fcpssecure, i say this cause i went to thoreau, and i got AIA for trying to access it. just use the FCPS network. pluss the fcpssecure is wifi encripted on he teachers lappys

Posted by: me1231 ()
Date: August 24, 2008 01:28PM

fcpssecure is wep, and the password is `fcps'.

Posted by: me1231 ()
Date: August 24, 2008 01:29PM

Choose `WEP' for security, and the key is `fcps'.

Posted by: abdi ()
Date: September 11, 2008 06:08PM

whatttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: oldgoat5 ()
Date: November 10, 2008 07:07PM

I will be capturing packets and cracking the fcpssecure tomarrow and will post results. I advise you to only use your laptops/PDA/iods on it and not the schools where they can see who tried to go in it. I don't think that the secure one has websense crap in it.

Posted by: Boyz2menluvr63 ()
Date: November 11, 2008 09:22AM

yo, does anyone gotz passwds for the FCPS dialup BBS?

Posted by: Firrat ()
Date: November 11, 2008 09:57AM

Aaron Wrote:
> i appreciate the help guys, but let me explain in
> a bit more detail whats going on. im at woodson.
> we haev hot spots all throughout the school,
> however my wireless card can not find them..they
> only seeem to show up if you log into the schools
> network (which is still done wirelessly)..i guess
> the real question is how can i do that?
>
> thanks again for the help

You need to take you're laptop to the library and have them log you in to the wireless network.....

After that one time you take it in; your laptop will automatically find the wireless service.

You can do it yourself, but its not something easy enough to post on a forum.

Posted by: smelly negro ()
Date: April 30, 2009 12:10PM

hello my name si rhorie

Posted by: pete ()
Date: October 13, 2009 01:25PM

They've either changed their SSIDs or they've started to encrypt. I used to use these all the time while taking kids to practices at schools. I can no longer access their network. Any know what the latest data is on the SSIDs and/or p/w?

Posted by: supernuller ()
Date: October 14, 2009 10:34PM

Most Fairfax county schools have a bunch of Cisco aironet access points around the school. They host two networks FCPS and fcpssecure. FCPS is open for any one to use but you won't find it if you scan for it because they don't broadcast the SSID.If you do connect to fcps all the outbound ports except 80/tcp 443/tcp and 53/udp for DNS are blocked and the network is on its own vlan. The only thing you can do is browse the web and even that's filtered. What I used to do when I went to high school was at home run a ssh server on 443/tcp then at school connect over ssh and tunnel out to access my home network and sites like youtube. The network fcpssecure uses WPA with radius authentication that network you could access any thing on but web is still filtered.

Posted by: danny ()
Date: January 05, 2010 06:20PM

a while ago (november 2009 at the latest) at chantilly, the "fcpssecure" ssid had "fairfaxcounty" as the password. but remember, the secure network doesn't offer anything better than the unsecure one. its just what teachers use to prevent possible hijacking.

Posted by: danny ()
Date: January 05, 2010 06:22PM

oldgoat5 Wrote:
> I will be capturing packets and cracking the
> fcpssecure tomarrow and will post results. I
> advise you to only use your laptops/PDA/iods on it
> and not the schools where they can see who tried
> to go in it. I don't think that the secure one
> has websense crap in it.

no, it does actually. all traffic for fcps goes thru websense

Date: January 05, 2010 08:54PM

danny Wrote:
> oldgoat5 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I will be capturing packets and cracking the
> > fcpssecure tomarrow and will post results. I
> > advise you to only use your laptops/PDA/iods on
> it
> > and not the schools where they can see who
> tried
> > to go in it. I don't think that the secure one
> > has websense crap in it.
>
> no, it does actually. all traffic for fcps goes
> thru websense

Not quite. The administrative centers aren't filtered, at least for youtube/facebook/myspace. They probably still block the pr0n though.

So you could go over to gatehouse and sit in the lobby and use the free FCPS wifi

Posted by: Sebastian WHS ()
Date: March 02, 2010 05:05PM

ok so my laptop is a ASUS with win7 and i go to WHS ... i see loads of people with macs and normal PC laptops that work fine wirelessly .... but for me ,the laptop detects internet connection... then i connect to FCPS wireless internet, but then when its PERSAY connected , it says limited or no internet connection and im right next to a friend of mine which has a mac and is wireless???????

Date: March 02, 2010 06:46PM

Sebastian WHS Wrote:
> ok so my laptop is with win7

Problem 1.

and i go to
> WHS

Problem 2.

Posted by: Devon ()
Date: March 10, 2010 09:05PM

The FCPS all caps is still used and it has no password. I tried "fcpssecure" with the password as "fairfaxcounty" and my iPod logged in but it didn't get any internet from it. Any suggestions/why do you think the internet doesn't work with the secure one?

Also, if you go to an httpS site, you can view the page. For instance https://www.facebook.com/ works

Posted by: bobby ()
Date: April 05, 2010 07:18PM

anyone know the ssid and password at stuart hs? It was FCPS with no password before spring break, then after break, they got these new cisco aironet things on the wall and FCPS no longer supples internet. I looked on a teachers laptop and saw that it was connected to "Fairfax", but when I try to connect to that on my ipod, it requires a username and pass. Anyone?

Posted by: Danny ()
Date: April 05, 2010 08:18PM

anyone know the ssid and password at stuart hs? It was FCPS with no password before spring break, then after break, they got these new cisco aironet things on the wall and FCPS no longer supples internet. I looked on a teachers laptop and saw that it was connected to "Fairfax", but when I try to connect to that on my ipod, it requires a username and pass. Anyone?

same shit @ oakton...

Posted by: fcps student ()
Date: April 06, 2010 03:54PM

USE Wep2 enterprise or somthign along tat line. for user name put in your student id for school comp and for pass pass for the school comp. it is faster than wifi name of fairfax.

Posted by: KcIn ()
Date: April 06, 2010 05:02PM

fcps student Wrote:
> USE Wep2 enterprise or somthign along tat line.
> for user name put in your student id for school
> comp and for pass pass for the school comp. it is
> faster than wifi name of fairfax.

Wait.. for the student username and password and such... which SSID do I use.. fairfax or the old fcps one?

Posted by: A different FCPS Student ()
Date: April 06, 2010 06:48PM

They might not have changed it yet at Fairfax HS, but the FCPS ssid was still broadcasting. I didn't get internet but I didn't know if that was my iPod (The wireless adapter keeps breaking) or the connection itself. I did a wireless scan and there was the FCPS and some hidden networks. I'm guessing the password is something that relates to the whole county, like fairfaxcounty, or fcps, or like fairfaxvirginia.

Posted by: Jimbo ()
Date: April 12, 2010 07:36AM

How does Verizon FIOS compare to cable/internet in this area?

Posted by: janebo ()
Date: November 23, 2010 08:37AM

Awesome!

Posted by: Student ()
Date: December 07, 2010 03:22PM

I still cant get anything, but my friend does. How does it work as of 2010-11?

Posted by: Jose medina cortes ()
Date: January 06, 2011 10:04PM

South county secondary school

Posted by: Just Curious ()
Date: January 07, 2011 07:41AM

I don't own a portable Wi-Fi-enabled device (other than a couple DSes, come to think of it); as such, I haven't ever accessed a hotspot outside my house except by accident with a neighbor or two.

So...

Aren't most institutional hotspots "in front" of an "IP address filter" that keeps those who access the hotspot from surfing to where ever the hotspot owner doesn't want them to surf?

So if you take your laptop to Panera you get to access their hotspot, no problem, but their hotspot restricts where you go from there?

That is, the hardware/software arrangement is like:

you <==> hotspot <==> hardware/software filter <==> Internet

Again, I've never tried using one of these hotspots so have no idea f they're filtered or not.

Anyone?

[I believe most ISPs now offer "free filtering" (Parental Control) thus that filter up above easily could be at the ISP itself]

Posted by: Just Curious ()
Date: January 07, 2011 07:45AM

In a continuation of that thought above...

Has anyone encountered a hotspot that uses its own DNS database? I would imagine that, too, would be quite common.

Example: you type www.mcdonalds.com into your browser and Panera's DNS server returns the address of PETA's anti-McDonalds pages.

Or maybe something a little more subtle.

Posted by: Random User ()
Date: January 12, 2011 10:05PM

Okay So I go to Thoeau MS. I was bored in class and decided to check my iTouch for wifi. It found nothing, but I figured there had to be wifi. So I typed in the "search for wifi networks" FCPS in caps and it found a network and joined it!!! So easy!!!

Posted by: Rootin' 'Round ()
Date: January 13, 2011 09:00AM

Gravis Wrote:
> oh yes, physically accessible machines = no
> security.

Lol!

My bro-in-law was over the other day; said he had forgotten his password on an Ubuntu-OS machine and if I knew how to get him logged in. I said "No, but let's see if there's a way with Google Search". Did a Google search for something like "Ubuntu forgotten password" or something equally-dumb.

Found lots of hits.

Told him "Let's try it out!" and booted my Xubuntu box (reduced footprint Ubuntu).

Clickety-click, clickety-click, clickety-click...root command prompt appears.

Jeez.

Told him - "Okay, do that and you can set your user password to anything you want with 'passwd'".

Physical access to computer? World is yours.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.