HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Virginia acts to reduce population of wild pigs, the ‘most invasive animal’ in U.S.
Posted by: Wild Pigs in VA ()
Date: April 21, 2014 09:32AM

Virginia acts to reduce population of wild pigs, the ‘most invasive animal’ in U.S.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/virginia-acts-to-reduce-population-of-wild-pigs-the-most-invasive-animal-in-us/2013/11/24/aa4077ca-52b9-11e3-9e2c-e1d01116fd98_story.html

There’s a population explosion of large, wild animals in the Virginia woods, and it’s not the cute, doe-eyed kind that conjures images of Bambi.

They have razor-sharp teeth, curling tusks and a nasty temper that prompts some to charge humans. They’re called feral hogs, wild pigs or big boars, but the names are lumped together because, said Mike Dye, a biologist for the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries, “a pig is a pig.”

Feral pigs are farm escapees living in the wild; wild pigs are born in the woods. They’re roaming at least 20 Virginia counties, including Fauquier and Culpeper. An unconfirmed sighting was reported in Prince William County.

The animals were introduced to America centuries ago, but the recent population boom, state game officials and biologists say, is largely the fault of hunters who imported wild pigs to hunt year round.

The hunters either didn’t know or didn’t care that the pigs are considered the most invasive animal in the United States. As a menace to ecosystems, they put the dreaded northern snakehead in the Chesapeake Bay to shame.

“As far as ecological damage, there is probably not a worse animal that’s out there,” said Dye, regional coordinator for feral pigs in Northern Virginia.

They eat like hogs. Turtle eggs are on the menu, along with the eggs and newly hatched young of wild turkeys and quail that nest on the ground. Buried roots and tubers are dug up for snacks. Acorns and chestnuts that bear the next generation of trees go down their gullets.

Farmers lose millions of dollars in yearly revenue to wild pigs that are established in 47 states, including massive populations in Texas, Florida, Georgia and North Carolina. They cause an estimated $1.5 billion in damage nationwide each year, prompting some state game officials to shoot them from the air.

In Lithonia, Ga., a populous suburban community near Atlanta, a wild pig ran amok in September, knocking over garbage, digging up yards and terrifying residents. Georgia wildlife officials sent in a team of trackers who shot it dead.

It’s exactly the kind of thing Virginia is trying to avoid by assembling a task force to address the problem.

If wild pigs develop a stronger presence in Virginia, they “will be the same as deer” that residents often see roaming the yards and streets of housing developments “but there will be more of them,” said Jim McGlone, an urban forestry conservationist for the Virginia Department of Forestry.

Wild pigs are baby-making machines, mating year-round. There can be eight piglets in a litter and as many as three litters in about a year.

With no natural predator, a pig population can triple in just over a year. To keep the population from growing, 70 percent of it has to be killed, which is nearly impossible. Virginia’s most recent estimate last year put the pig population at 2,500 to 3,000, with plenty of pairs to mate.

Texas has as many as 5 million wild pigs. Florida has about 400,000. Georgia officials said they have too many to count. South Carolina and North Carolina are in an uphill fight to keep their populations under control.

“We’re far beyond any ability to eradicate them from the state,” said Charlie Killmaster, deer and feral hog biologist for the Georgia Department of Natural Resources.

Feral hogs date back to Spanish explorer Hernando de Soto, who brought them to Florida as a food source in 1539. Later, American colonists allowed some domesticated hogs to feed in the woods, freeing many of them forever. They continue to escape from farm pens, Killmaster said.

But hunters are most responsible for Georgia’s population explosion, he said. Echoing officials in other states, including Virginia, Killmaster said they often free pigs to have something to shoot.

Killmaster thinks hunters know that wild pigs are an ecological nightmare. “I think they’re selfish. I think they just don’t care,” he said. Wild hogs caused an estimated $81 million in agricultural damage in 2011, according to a University of Georgia survey.

“States north of us like Tennessee, Kentucky and Virginia have some opportunity to eradicate them” because the invasion is relatively new, Killmaster said.

Virginia took the obvious first step toward eradication when wild pigs were first considered a problem 20 years ago. It’s legal for licensed hunters to kill a feral pig in any manner, any day but Sunday.

But the pigs are notoriously hard to hunt.

“You hardly ever get a shot where the pig is just standing still,” said Deedy Loftus, a hunting guide and the owner of Bryson Hesperia Resort near Monterey, Calif. “They’re nocturnal. During this time of season, when it cools off, they’re out during the day.”

They can smell people. “We are predators. We smell like a predator in the food chain,” Loftus said. That doesn’t mean they won’t turn and fight, especially to protect piglets.

“They’re mean. They’re aggressive. They’ll charge you. They’ll cut you or stab you with their teeth. They have big tusks, or cutters, as we call them,” Loftus said.

Wild pigs can rip open the femoral artery in a person’s leg, causing massive bleeding. “You have to be real careful when you’re up close and personal,” she said. “It’s hard to shoot when you’re shaking and running.”

The difficulty of hunting might help explain why Virginia’s wild pig population keeps growing. The thought that it will grow out of control haunts McGlone.

Wild pigs are an “ominous smoke on the horizon,” he said. He worries about the future of trees in woods full of pigs.

“The ground looks plowed up,” he said. “They create disturbed land that can be taken over by invasive species like Japanese honeysuckle, multiflora rose.”

Japanese honeysuckle kills trees. Like its faster-growing cousin kudzu, honeysuckle wraps around trees and slowly strangles them. The vines drag across limbs and leaves, choking them.

“The pigs create good habitat for the plants to invade. Deer already do that; pigs will add another layer,” McGlone said. “They’re already doing a number on the environment.”
Attachments:
Wild Pigs.PNG

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Virginia acts to reduce population of wild pigs, the ‘most invasive animal’ in U.S.
Posted by: cEWYX ()
Date: April 21, 2014 11:10AM

Why don't we just kill them and use the meat to feed the hungry?

Re: Virginia acts to reduce population of wild pigs, the ‘most invasive animal’ in U.S.
Posted by: VA Hunter ()
Date: April 21, 2014 11:20AM

"Virginia took the obvious first step toward eradication when wild pigs were first considered a problem 20 years ago. It’s legal for licensed hunters to kill a feral pig in any manner, any day but Sunday."

What's wrong with killing a wild pig on Sunday? I guess Guns and [pig] Guts comes second place to God in the Bible Belt.

Posted by: domestic tranquility ()
Date: April 21, 2014 11:24AM

VA Hunter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "Virginia took the obvious first step toward
> eradication when wild pigs were first considered a
> problem 20 years ago. It’s legal for licensed
> hunters to kill a feral pig in any manner, any day
> but Sunday."
>
> What's wrong with killing a wild pig on Sunday? I
> guess Guns and [pig] Guts comes second place to
> God in the Bible Belt.

Those of us who live near property on which hunting takes place are grateful to have one day a week when we don't have to listen to guns going off. In the interest of domestic tranquility, I hope that is a law that does not change anytime soon...

Posted by: local hunter ()
Date: April 21, 2014 11:25AM

I live in a small quite rural neighborhood, next to a golf course country club. We are four miles out of town surrounded by 33,000 acres of recovering coal strip mine land for power plants close by. Those lands are mostly unused for anything but harvesting hay. Paid hunters killed over a 1,000 pigs this past summer and I doubt I heard a single shot from them. I do occasionally hear a shot from a neighbor shooting a coyotes or Raccoon. O'possum's are caught in my coon trap regularly that I set loose. Large cougars have been seen in the neighborhood and killed numerous domestic cats in August. Deer run around all around us and we do have hunters on our half mile long road. Even target practice shots by the small ranch owner directly behind us are hard to hear when we are indoors and certainly no nuisance.

Now for your next comment, I am certain back porch shooters do not care whether it is on Sunday or after midnight. Learn to read yourself. If hog hunters are limited to only Saturday mostly, your hog problem is not going to get better.

Posted by: what do you think? ()
Date: April 21, 2014 11:36AM

Virginia needs to adopt rules like Pennsylvania adopted for hunting coyotes. In certain northern PA counties you can take a coyote anytime, anywhere (as long as it doesn't endanger someone), and I believe you don't even need a license. Considering how much damage they do, it might be worth it to have the state put a bounty on them. Say $50 per hog.

Posted by: OoPs! ()
Date: April 21, 2014 11:37AM

whoops. I thought this was going to be about rush limbaugh

Posted by: eTnxK ()

last I noticed there were plenty of coyotes in PA. bounty program really worked great no?

Posted by: GOOD IDEA! ()

what do you think? Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Virginia needs to adopt rules like Pennsylvania
> adopted for hunting coyotes. In certain northern
> PA counties you can take a coyote anytime,
> anywhere (as long as it doesn't endanger someone),
> and I believe you don't even need a license.
> Considering how much damage they do, it might be
> worth it to have the state put a bounty on them.
> Say $50 per hog.

Good idea. I think the bounty should be > $100 per adult hog, given inflation. Wolf bounties in AK and Canada used to be $25 > 30 years ago.

Posted by: 496 ()
Date: April 21, 2014 02:24PM

It all starts in our local bars and watering holes. Tons of wild pigs residing in those places.

Posted by: Fairfax Bob ()
Date: April 21, 2014 06:36PM

Good documentary on Netflix about the exploding wild pig population called "Pig Bomb". These things are vicious.

Posted by: Gerrymanderer2 ()
Date: April 21, 2014 06:44PM

Dumb hunter redneck pigs have handed over America to their kin with their blood thirsty stupidity.

They brought the animal for nothing more than the enjoyment of its killing. Now that animal has destroyed the south and is threatening the rest of the country.

Posted by: kill em all ()
Date: April 21, 2014 09:26PM

get the troops coming home on the job, helicopters, night vision scopes, and automatic weapons ought to do the trick.

Posted by: Color Me Surprised ()
Date: April 21, 2014 09:37PM

Figures...stupid gun nuts caused this. Maybe they should be shot.

Posted by: Dude, that's ALF ()
Date: April 21, 2014 10:00PM

Hey OP, that's a picture of ALF.

Posted by: Not a Priority ()
Date: April 21, 2014 11:16PM

Causing far more damage to Virginia are the invasive leeching liberals and illegal locusts. They consume everything in sight and then move on to ruin some other formerly-prosperous region.

Posted by: Va Hunter ()
Date: April 24, 2014 02:01PM

I am a fully licensed sportsman in Virginia, and am very interested in hunting boar. If anyone here needs someone to thin the numbers on their property, please message me, and we'll go from there. Boar, deer(in season), coyote, etc...

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.