HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Too many cops?
Posted by: angry good guy ()
Date: December 16, 2008 02:19PM

I've recently become aware of the overwhelming number of law enforcement personnel we have in NoVa. I am convinced that all the Homeland Security money that has been appropriated over the last 7 years or so has gone to a massive build up of local, police forces.

How many more times can every Ffx Co police car have their lights upgraded? I noticed on the way home from work about two weeks ago- a 16 mile ride- 11 pull overs. Two of them had more than one police car (one had three). Last night, riding the Parkway to Braddock I passed two pull-overs, one had two police cars the other had four. It is very common to have multiple cop pull-overs.

Certainly, there are times we need police action, and the cops need to be safe and protect themselves too, but in each case I've mentioned there was only a driver sitting in the car (with or without passengers). Looked like an ordinary traffic stop.

Since local authorities really can't do anything about "terrorism". And the Feds refuse to see terrorism for what it is, an international police matter, not an American military concern, all the Homeland Security money that comes to local municipalities has to be spent. So we arm and over-arm the police. That way we can say "we've spent our money making this a safer place."

Personally, I feel less secure. Not just because of terroroism, but because there are so many cops floating around. I don't trust them. Most people mingle with all sorts of people in their personal lives. I'm a teacher but at home I have friends who are electricians, doctors, landscapers, lawyers. gov't employees, etc. Cops tend to hang with only cops. They go to cop bars and cop parties, because noone else can understand the "job". They tend to socialize with cops and cop spouses. They don;t get the perspective of non-cops. Can you imnagine the conversations? I can't imagine how it would not devolve into discussions about work. "I arrested this guy and he got off because...." "Oh yeah, well here's how I make sure I always get a good arrest".

Check the records on how radically the number of arrests for non-violent crimes have risen; there are people who have lost their homes because marijuana possession automatically means a license revocation. Peiople are forced to drive with a suspended license or lose the job. It is next to impossible to ride the rodes regularly without getting at least your annual ticket. There is always something a cop can pull you oover for and when there are so many cops looking for something to do...well, they'll grab the low hanging fruit.

I know there are speed limits, but if we al know that the beltway really moves faster than 55, isn't it unfair to have a dozen or so cops lined up to snag people on a beltway straightaway?

I am fed up with too many cops looking for too harmless crimes. Three or four cop cars for a traffic stop? Please.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Too many cops?
Posted by: Highlander ()
Date: December 16, 2008 02:28PM

Angry good guy,

You're a fucking whiney bitch. Put your tin-foil hat on, tape plastic sheets around your windows, and keep watching for the black helicopters.

I wonder were some people come up with bullshit like this.

I can imagine a teacher party..."I gave little Johnny a D on his test just because he's a little prick." or " I told Suzi to meet me after class so we can go over biology again, wink, wink..." or, "Hey, have you seen the new P.E. teacher? She has big boobies...hee hee."

Fucktard.

Posted by: 496 ()
Date: December 16, 2008 02:59PM

I agree Highlander. This guy needs a good old fashioned beating with a night stick.

Posted by: JayBee ()
Date: December 16, 2008 03:33PM

Its not the cops you should fear, its their union.

Posted by: Vince(1) ()
Date: December 16, 2008 03:38PM

god bless all union members...strength through unity.

Posted by: Ivan ()
Date: December 16, 2008 04:00PM

Vince(1) Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> god bless all union members...strength through
> unity.

We know, Vince. We know where you are coming from.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLcc19mt4eA

Posted by: Drivingmykidstoschool ()
Date: December 16, 2008 04:10PM

angry good guy Wrote:

> Check the records on how radically the number of
> arrests for non-violent crimes have risen; there
> are people who have lost their homes because
> marijuana possession automatically means a license
> revocation. Peiople are forced to drive with a
> suspended license or lose the job. It is next to
> impossible to ride the rodes regularly without
> getting at least your annual ticket. There is
> always something a cop can pull you oover for and
> when there are so many cops looking for something
> to do...well, they'll grab the low hanging fruit.
>
>
> I know there are speed limits, but if we al know
> that the beltway really moves faster than 55,
> isn't it unfair to have a dozen or so cops lined
> up to snag people on a beltway straightaway?
>
> I am fed up with too many cops looking for too
> harmless crimes. Three or four cop cars for a
> traffic stop? Please.

Annual ticket? I've lived in Arlington and Fairfax for 25 years and have
never had so much as a parking ticket. There is a secret to this.
Obey the speed limits. Do not make gestures at police. Park only where
its legal and don't drive at all if you have had ANY alcohol. I'm glad we
have a high police presence. Your post shows at least people like you are
thinking about the consequences. Happy Driving!

Posted by: andy ()
Date: December 16, 2008 04:16PM

can we really have too many cops?

those that fear them have something to hide ;)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sell your college text books online, in DC,MD, and VA!!!
[www.nvcsale.com]

Posted by: haha ()
Date: December 16, 2008 04:47PM

god bless all union members...strength through unity.

LOL, god bless living and working in a "right to work" state

Posted by: Demon ()
Date: December 16, 2008 04:50PM

MMMMMMM.....home school teacher.....that explains it !!!!

Posted by: Suburbanite ()
Date: December 16, 2008 08:33PM

Too funny. Many of the 'police' you see are volunteers. As for three cops to a stop, it isn't the norm, but if the occupants of the car look dangerous or the tags on the car show up something it only makes sense to have backup. You don't have to have three people in a car to pull a gun and blow away a cop at a stop. Some guy shot an Alexandria cop recently like in fact.

There are numerous stops with only one cop. I see those all the time.

As for catching drivers for speeding, in this area they leave you alone unless you are over 9 miles over the limit and even then you usually have to be doing something stupid. They are actually pretty lenient.

As for cops only hanging with other cops, are you for real? You watch too much television. In this area I know a couple of guys who just say they work for the government or are in public service, no one questions them beyond that, but how many people are going to relax with someone new who is a cop? It makes you second guess everything you say and do. If you think they are just another government paper pusher, you stay relaxed. Once you get to know one another, if you actually do become friends, then the truth can come out gradually.

I drove 495 west on 66 and then south on 7100 down into springfield over the course of the day today. Didn't see a cop until I was within a mile of the precinct station in springfield. Doesn't seem like that many are out there at all. It just depends on when and where you drive. Coincidence and all that.

Posted by: spunky ()
Date: December 16, 2008 09:20PM

Think about the shortfall in the Fairfax budget. There is an inclination to look for more offenses in order to generate more assets for the county... that's just a no-brainer! How else is Fairfax County going to account for it's deficit?

Posted by: Al The Number Cruncher ()
Date: December 17, 2008 07:36AM

spunky Wrote:
> Think about the shortfall in the Fairfax budget.
> There is an inclination to look for more offenses
> in order to generate more assets for the county...
> that's just a no-brainer! How else is Fairfax
> County going to account for it's deficit?

No need to fear. With Connolly in the House, all our problems will
be solved by late January. Fairfax and the entire District will be
a taxpayers paradise!

Posted by: nakedshoplifter ()
Date: December 17, 2008 09:28AM

The increase in police activity is directly tied to the state's budget problems. The police are the "revenue agents" to help fill the shortfall.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: December 17, 2008 09:29AM

Vince(1) Wrote:
> god bless all union members...strength through unity.

i knew i heard that phrase somewhere. the character is quite fitting for you.

00:01:37
"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2009 04:21AM by Gravis.
Attachments:
Strength_through_unity.jpg

Posted by: hughz ()
Date: December 17, 2008 10:01AM

Too many cops... After watching the armed guy who robbed the Franklin Farm Shell station run through my backyard followed by 2 K9 police, I was glad they were there. What if I was out in my backyard, what would he have done? They caught him before he harmed anyone. How about the ms13 gang problem, I guess it's OK if that isn't kept in some sort of check...

I am grateful for the police putting their lives on the line for us. Of course there are always bad elements in any organization, and administrative problems but that's life, deal with it.

Posted by: Jimmy ()
Date: December 17, 2008 11:31AM

Thank God for "V"

Thanks Gravis

And thank you Fairfax safety officials!

Posted by: COPS ()
Date: December 17, 2008 01:59PM

more cops = more cars (support GM, FORD) = more carwash (support illegal aliens working at carwash) = donuts hehehe

Posted by: George Meany ()
Date: December 17, 2008 02:22PM

Vince(1) Wrote:
> god bless all union members...strength through
> unity.

Vince, have you ever belonged to a union? I've belonged to several.
Care to tell me about you're experiences?

Posted by: blah blah blah ()
Date: December 17, 2008 04:08PM

nakedshoplifter Wrote:
> The increase in police activity is directly tied
> to the state's budget problems. The police are the
> "revenue agents" to help fill the shortfall.

Really? Have a "cite" or are you just running your mouth?

Posted by: tubby ()
Date: December 17, 2008 06:58PM

nakedshoplifter Wrote:

And all you have to do to avoid paying is OBEY THE LAW. I wish the fuck the IRS worked like that!

Date: December 17, 2008 07:02PM

nakedshoplifter Wrote:

And all you have to do to avoid paying is OBEY THE LAW. I wish the fuck the IRS worked like that!

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: December 17, 2008 07:28PM

hughz Wrote:
> Too many cops... After watching the armed guy who
> robbed the Franklin Farm Shell station run through
> my backyard followed by 2 K9 police, I was glad
> they were there. What if I was out in my backyard,
> what would he have done? They caught him before he
> harmed anyone. How about the ms13 gang problem, I
> guess it's OK if that isn't kept in some sort of
> check...
>
> I am grateful for the police putting their lives
> on the line for us. Of course there are always bad
> elements in any organization, and administrative
> problems but that's life, deal with it.

If you owned a weapon then you won't have this problem.

Posted by: angry stupid guy ()
Date: December 17, 2008 10:32PM

imagine this guy looking in all the cars he passes pulled over...at night...to count the occupants, as he said he did. Instead of driving, he's counting the occupants of cars pulled over at night. Local authorities can't do anything about terrorism? How do you think the Oaklahoma city bomber was caught? What about the cops/firefighters who ran into the towers on 9-11? No, what we need is more teachers like urself who know how to deal with terrorism and the HUGE growth of police in the area. (FFX CO has one of the lowest cop to citizen ratios in the nation.) "theres sooo many cops here!" did you ever think, theres also a SHITLOAD OF PPL here. ur an idiot, no question, go back to being a bored teacher fed up with urself because u didnt amount to crap, except a subject matter expert on terrorism....riiight. i second you being a tard.

Posted by: happy retarded guy ()
Date: December 17, 2008 10:56PM

Ther arr manee occifers in Fairfaks. I see lites on the kars and think they arr purdy.

Posted by: hughz ()
Date: December 18, 2008 08:09AM

who says I don't? thanks for the valuable input lol

KeepOnTruckin Wrote:
> hughz Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Too many cops... After watching the armed guy
> who
> > robbed the Franklin Farm Shell station run
> through
> > my backyard followed by 2 K9 police, I was glad
> > they were there. What if I was out in my
> backyard,
> > what would he have done? They caught him before
> he
> > harmed anyone. How about the ms13 gang problem,
> I
> > guess it's OK if that isn't kept in some sort
> of
> > check...
> >
> > I am grateful for the police putting their
> lives
> > on the line for us. Of course there are always
> bad
> > elements in any organization, and
> administrative
> > problems but that's life, deal with it.
>
>
> If you owned a weapon then you won't have this
> problem.

Posted by: Suburbanite ()
Date: December 18, 2008 03:19PM

Maybe this explains the increased presence you witnessed...

SAFE December Update
Fairfax County Police officers arrested 165 individuals for driving while intoxicated in the first two weeks of their SAFE December DWI effort. The SAFE December public safety campaign is aimed at educating the public about the dangers of irresponsible and underage alcohol use and removing drunk drivers from county roadways.

From November 28 until Sunday, January 4, officers from all 8 police district stations across the county are adding extra DWI patrols. Officers are saturating county roadways and participating in sobriety checkpoints. Additionally, police cadets in plain clothing are attempting to purchase alcohol from retail and restaurant establishments across the county to thwart sales to underage drinkers.

On Friday, December 19 Fairfax County Police are being joined by the Virginia State Police, the Loudoun County Sheriff’s Office and Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD) at a DWI checkpoint dedicated to Kathleen Becker, who was struck and killed by a Fairfax County teenager in 2007.

The public and news media are welcome to attend a community DWI presentation that officers and the Washington Regional Alcohol Program will present on Sunday, December 21 at St. Anthony’s Catholic Church, 3035 Glen Carlyn Road, Falls Church, between 1:30 and 3:30 p.m. The presentation will be in both Spanish and English.

For more information on the SAFE December campaign, check http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/police/news-releases/2008/holidays.htm where updates will be posted throughout the month.

Posted by: ajb ()
Date: January 01, 2009 11:02PM

highlander, you're as diseased as the cops you love. less cops equals more justice.

Posted by: SE ()
Date: January 01, 2009 11:28PM

angry good guy Wrote:
Cops tend to hang
> with only cops. They go to cop bars and cop
> parties, because noone else can understand the
> "job". They tend to socialize with cops and cop
> spouses. They don;t get the perspective of
> non-cops. Can you imnagine the conversations? I
> can't imagine how it would not devolve into
> discussions about work. "I arrested this guy and
> he got off because...." "Oh yeah, well here's how
> I make sure I always get a good arrest".
>
>

HAHAHAHA! You're an IDIOT! I'm a "cop spouse" and NO neither my Husband OR I hang out with other cops or cop spouses. If my husband was around other cops off-duty (which is VERY rare), the LAST thing they would talk about is work. Officers don't scheme on how to get the best arrest or what tactics to use. People like you who speculate are just dumb and watch too much damn TV.

So I guess what you're saying is that if we had LESS police presence around, and you were to get in an accident and needed emergency assistance on the beltway/66/95, you'd be bitching because the police couldn't get there quick enough because of traffic. Seeing three officers responding to ONE traffic ticket shouldn't infer that it is a waste of man-power or tax dollars, it means they are doing their job as they are told or directed, and you need to worry about yourself- Nosy Nellie.

Posted by: SubaruMafia ()
Date: January 02, 2009 12:53PM

Uh hey Dumb Ass, according to the FBI, Fairfax county has one of the lowest officer to citizen ratios for a large suburban population in the country. Something like 1.13 per 1000 residents. Where other areas have a ratio of 2.5 per 1000. The FBI recommends that they hire 800 more.

Date: January 02, 2009 01:17PM

There aren't enough cops.

Case in point: Last summer a car load of punks rear-ended me doing over $1000 damage to my car. All the punks fled except the driver who I scared into staying.

I called the cops and they said they'd be there as soon as they could. After waiting over an hour in the heat, they called me back and said they were just too busy and they wouldn't be coming at all.

The punk's car had dead tags, dead inspection, numerous equipment violations, the driver had no license and no insurance. I told the cops all this and that they would be able to write him a PILE of tickets....but they still passed.

Pissed me off because the sumbitches ALWAYS have time to come give me a ticket when I fuck up!

Posted by: Willie The Pimp ()
Date: January 02, 2009 01:48PM

Why do police guys beat on peace guys?

Posted by: COPS ()
Date: January 02, 2009 02:01PM

that's how we get our daily excercise after the donut stop.

Posted by: carshop20 ()
Date: January 09, 2009 05:10PM

"Check the records on how radically the number of arrests for non-violent crimes have risen; there are people who have lost their homes because marijuana possession automatically means a license revocation. Peiople are forced to drive with a suspended license or lose the job."

Maybe they shouldnt be smoking pot. There!!! problem fixed. It's their fault. Also, have you heard ofa public transportation?

Posted by: Mike ()
Date: January 09, 2009 05:31PM

To many cops yea a few years ago someone thought that and he drove to Sully station and killed two of my friends. As for minor crimes ok if someone steals your car consider it a minor crime and don't call the police let it go they are no hurting anyone. Since terrorosim is a world police problem, call them. I guess if you where here on Dec 7 , 1941 The attack on pearl would have not been a Military prob. As a teacher you know what I am talking about right. Next time you are in truble or need help call another teacher hopefully they will be smart and tell you to call a cop. With teachers like you it explains why kids are so f'ed up

Posted by: The equation ()
Date: January 09, 2009 08:35PM

COPS "more cops = more cars (support GM, FORD) = more carwash (support illegal aliens working at carwash) = donuts hehehe"

That actually makes a lot of sense!

Posted by: Libertarian1 ()
Date: January 09, 2009 09:50PM

V +1

Posted by: obezyanka ()
Date: January 10, 2009 07:34PM

spunky Wrote:
> Think about the shortfall in the Fairfax budget.
> There is an inclination to look for more offenses
> in order to generate more assets for the county...
> that's just a no-brainer! How else is Fairfax
> County going to account for it's deficit?

Absolutely agree! Just about all my neigbours got speeding tickets for just 7-10mph 'extra' in 2008

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: January 12, 2009 05:23AM

yeah i keep it 55-60 on the highways now. not even sure that's going to do the trick.

Posted by: rsh ()
Date: January 15, 2009 05:22AM

Highlander Wrote:
> Angry good guy,
>
> You're a fucking whiney bitch. Put your tin-foil
> hat on, tape plastic sheets around your windows,
> and keep watching for the black helicopters.
>
> I wonder were some people come up with bullshit
> like this.
>
> I can imagine a teacher party..."I gave little
> Johnny a D on his test just because he's a little
> prick." or " I told Suzi to meet me after class so
> we can go over biology again, wink, wink..." or,
> "Hey, have you seen the new P.E. teacher? She has
> big boobies...hee hee."
>
> Fucktard.

You are fucking retarded dude. You give nothing to support your argument, your just a dumb prick

Posted by: tshht ()
Date: January 15, 2009 05:28AM

andy Wrote:
> can we really have too many cops?
>
> those that fear them have something to hide ;)
>
> --------------------------------------------------
> --------------------------------
> sell your college text books online, in DC,MD, and
> VA!!!
>

Yes, and we all break the laws, so we all have something to hide. What happens when you go 56 in a 55, you're breaking the law. If you got pulled over, you'd think it was bullshit. What happens when you dont agree with the law that is put in place? If there was a law banning the practice of christianity, would you break the law, or just lay down and accept "the law as the law". You would if you "had nothing to hide". As soon as we criminalize a majority of our population, we have a real fucking problem with the law. And you cant tell me that the fund for FF police isnt rediculously too high. For god sakes we're talking about a police force that has to deliver bull shit warrants with the SWAT team just to justify them HAVING a SWAT team. Guess what happens if they put less cops on the street, stop upgrading vehicles, etc. THEY LOSE FUNDING - so they go all out, wasting your money on bullshit charges and using 3 cars to give 1 speeding ticket.

Posted by: mjs ()
Date: January 15, 2009 07:14AM

being that most officers are injured during traffic stops, either by the perp or some dumbshit driver running them over.

I'm all for having two or three cops on a scene. Id hate for no one to show up the day you call em...

now we need to build more jails...

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.