HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
FFX Co. Cop follows me home, but I closed the garage before they approach
Posted by: Should I be worried? ()
Date: January 24, 2009 01:01AM

A quick legal question:

This evening about an hour ago, I was leaving a convenience store picking up food and just happened to run a stop sign (more like a rolling stop as I paused, then accelerated in a right turn into a residential neighborhood). This was inadvertent and I usually come to complete stop at this intersection, but unfortunately, did not this time as no one else was around this time of night..........so I thought.

The next thing I know, I see headlights approximately 500 feet behind me. Since I had a couple of beers about an hour beforehand (4 to be exact, but on an empty stomach) , I panic. Thinking it was a cop, but not knowing for certain, I accellerate quickly to my home as I was only 2 blocks away.

I make it to my driveway, open the garage, pull inside, and shut off my headlights, shut the door and turn off the garage lights. Within a split second afterward (actually as the garage was closing), I see the headlights that were following me pull onto my street perdicular to my home. My initial reaction was correct as it was a FFX Co. cop car (but, again, without the strobe light on) . I then went inside the house and turned out all the lights.

I looked outside waiting for the doorbell to ring and the cop just paused in my driveway, drove to the end of the street, turned around and drove past my house slowly and left.

My initial thought is: Obviously, he couldn't prove I was driving my vehicle as I was inside the house, but if you elude the police (absent their flashing blue lights signaling me to pull over), could they have probable cause to ring my doorbell to investigate a moving violation (which in fact, may have resulted in a DWI) or even cite me? I'm thinking that, at that point, I was on private property (my home) and if the officer was to pull me over, he should have flashed his/her lights to be able to positively ID who was driving my car. I assume that I sped away just fast enough to where they weren't able to get my plates, but they obviously know my address.

Has anyone ever been in a similar situation? What is the legal standard here?

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FFX Co. Cop follows me home, but I closed the garage before they approach
Posted by: same guy ()
Date: January 24, 2009 01:02AM

^perpendicular (sorry, I'm typing in the dark)

Posted by: dghgf ()
Date: January 24, 2009 01:21AM

You are a dumb, drunk motherfucker.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: January 24, 2009 01:41AM

Expensive Jeans, stfu.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: Bob ()
Date: January 24, 2009 01:49AM

Let's just say you got lucky.

But, I would be extremely cautious for a while, because that particular cop may keep his eye out for you when he's patrolling around your neighborhood. If he sees you, he may look for any reason to pull you over.

I pulled out of a bar parking lot once, and saw a cop pull out of a one-way street 20 or so yards away, the wrong way, and start to follow me. Luckily, there was a 24 hour Giant around the corner, so I carefully drove to the Giant, pulled into the first spot, turned off the car and pulled the keys out immediately, and my passenger and I got out and went into the Giant.

The cop that was following me pulled into the parking lot and sat a few rows away, and about 10 minutes later, another cop car pulled up next to him, and they sat there.

I had only had 3 drinks over the course of about 4 hours, but not wanting to take any chances, I called a cab, and waited for 45 minutes for the cab to show up. Both cops sat there the entire time.

My guess is that in both my situation and in your's, the cop never saw enough to give him reason to pull you over, but enough to make him suspicious. In my case, having pulled out of a bar parking lot, the cop was willing to stick around figuring there was a high probability that I had been drinking. In your case, he knew you were home, at least, so, first, there's not much he could do if he hadn't already seen enough to pull you over and, second, you're already home so even if you were shit-faced, blackout drunk, at least you made it home and would most likely sleep it off. (and he probably parked around the corner with his lights off for a while to see if you were dumb enough to go back out for a joyride.)

BTW, really obvious move, turning off all your lights. That just made the cop even more suspicious. Why would you even do that? Do you think the cop's going to believe that nobody's home? All you did was tell the cop you knew he was there and you were guilty of something. You just called attention to yourself. Leave the lights on, act like you are totally unaware that there even was a cop behind you and if he did happen to ring your doorbell, answer holding an open bottle of Jack Daniel's or something, and take a big swig from it as you're talking to him (and don't step out on your porch, and don't allow him in no matter what.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2009 03:26AM by Bob.

Posted by: dono ()
Date: January 24, 2009 02:17PM

Once in the house you should have opened four beers and poured them down the sink. If he came to the door and said I followed you home were you drinking and driving? No officer but as soon as I got home I chugged some beer. Walla you are out of DWI territory. He cannot prove you were drunk behind the wheel (even though you are an idiot whom likes to come home and chug beer there is no law against that).

He could still nail you for the California roll but he was being a nice cop.

Posted by: OMG ()
Date: January 24, 2009 04:50PM

It's the cops fault for not blue lighting your ass when he watched you run the stop sign.

You were quite dumb to hide in your house. That's very suspicious and could have given the cop a reason to knock on your door. Better off to go in your house and just go about business as usual.

Now the cop knows where you live and knows you're a tool who is very afraid of him. He will be looking for your car in the future and will bust you for something else at a latter date.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2009 04:54PM by OMG.

Date: January 24, 2009 06:36PM

OMG Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's the cops fault for not blue lighting your ass
> when he watched you run the stop sign.
>
> You were quite dumb to hide in your house. That's
> very suspicious and could have given the cop a
> reason to knock on your door. Better off to go in
> your house and just go about business as usual.
>
> Now the cop knows where you live and knows you're
> a tool who is very afraid of him. He will be
> looking for your car in the future and will bust
> you for something else at a latter date.

I seriously doubt that.

Posted by: Lurker. ()
Date: January 24, 2009 06:59PM

I've had that happen before. Cop followed to my parking space and then just sat there watching me. I took it as a warning.

Like somebody above said, expect that cop to bluelight you soon if you are not careful.

Date: January 24, 2009 07:06PM

One, don't drive after four beers. You're asking for trouble.

Two, if he saw you blow the stop sign he would have stopped you regardless. I don't think he saw you, but your paranoid driving after the fact probably drew his attention.

Three, if he didn't do anything tonight, I doubt he ever will.

Fourth, let this be a lesson to you. Depending on how quickly you drank the beers, there is a chance you could have been over the legal limit. Was the food you needed worth the potential fine, classes and embarrassment you would have faced? I doubt it.

I used to drive drunk all the time when I was a dumb 20-something. Luckily for me I never got caught. But there is no way in hell if would do that now.

Consider yourself lucky.

Date: January 25, 2009 12:53AM

OMG Wrote:
> It's the cops fault for not blue lighting your ass
> when he watched you run the stop sign.

It sounds like the cop didn't get a good bead on the rolling stop. I think his behavior after that was what caught the cop's attention.

>
> You were quite dumb to hide in your house. That's
> very suspicious and could have given the cop a
> reason to knock on your door. Better off to go in
> your house and just go about business as usual.
>
> Now the cop knows where you live and knows you're
> a tool who is very afraid of him. He will be
> looking for your car in the future and will bust
> you for something else at a latter date.

I doubt the cop would have bothered to go to the door. But it was still dumb to do anything that displayed fear or guilt to the cop, like running around turning off all the lights.

The cop probably will remember this for a while, maybe a couple weeks, maybe a month, and if he runs across this guy again, he's going to really scrutinize his driving behavior, looking for any reason to pull him over and check him out. I'm sure he's already pulled up whatever he could find based on the address and if he got his tag number, I'm sure he's reviewed this guy's driving record. If his driving record is really dirty, that would only give the cop even more reason to keep an eye out for him in the future.

Posted by: SE ()
Date: January 25, 2009 01:04AM

Do you honestly, really think that the officer is going to remember him? No. This isn't a town with pop. 100. Or better yet, that he cares?

The dude who took the time to write the initial post is a tool..."I'm going to try to be slick and shut off all the lights in my house, and sneak online to ask FFU what I should do" LOLOLOLOLOL Weird people dude.

Date: January 25, 2009 01:07AM

WashingToneLocian Wrote:
> One, don't drive after four beers. You're asking
> for trouble.
>

I think a good rule is to make sure the number of hours is at least one more than the number of beers consumed, assuming you aren't pounding 5 beers after sitting in a bar for 6 hours and then getting behind the wheel. If you drink 4 beers in 5 hours, at an average drinking pace, you'll probably be okay. It's always good to use a little caution and wait 30 minutes or more after your last drink, too.

> Two, if he saw you blow the stop sign he would
> have stopped you regardless. I don't think he saw
> you, but your paranoid driving after the fact
> probably drew his attention.
>

That's what it sounds like. If the cop saw him run the stop sign, but wanted to still observe him a little to see if he could get some "probable cause" for DUI or something else, he still would have pulled him over before he had a chance to ditch into his garage. Cops do sometimes wait a while after observing an infraction, but they still ultimately pull you over.

> Three, if he didn't do anything tonight, I doubt
> he ever will.

I wouldn't be too sure of that. I'm not saying he's going to be gunning for this guy, but if he recognizes the car in the near future, he'll probably spend a little more time observing him and looking out for any reason to pull him over. Not because of vindictiveness, but because he already has reason to suspect the guy.

>
> Fourth, let this be a lesson to you. Depending on
> how quickly you drank the beers, there is a chance
> you could have been over the legal limit. Was the
> food you needed worth the potential fine, classes
> and embarrassment you would have faced? I doubt
> it.
>
> I used to drive drunk all the time when I was a
> dumb 20-something. Luckily for me I never got
> caught. But there is no way in hell if would do
> that now.
>
> Consider yourself lucky.

I got two DUIs when I was 19 and 22. We were all probably a little stupid at that age, with a sense of invincibility and not as much cash flow as we have now.

As you get older, you have more cash flow. If you really want to go out and get hammered with a bunch of friends, you can afford to take a cab home. In our early 20's, the idea of taking a cab was preposterous. a $20 cab ride meant $20 less to spend at the bar. Now, what's twenty bucks? Who wouldn't drop $20 to get home safely and without getting into legal trouble?

Plus, with age, most of the time, comes wisdom.

Posted by: ? ()
Date: January 25, 2009 01:38AM

Bob,

Is there a situation you aren't familiar with or have expertise in? You seem to have done it all or know it all, whatever the predicament.

Date: January 25, 2009 02:49AM

? Wrote:
> Bob,
>
> Is there a situation you aren't familiar with or
> have expertise in? You seem to have done it all
> or know it all, whatever the predicament.

Since I'm not 19 or stupid, I tend to remember my experiences.

With age, comes experience and wisdom.

I feel bad if I make you feel inferior, because I'm not trying to show off or make you look stupid. I would apologize for making you feel stupid if it were my fault.

Are you about to flame me again tonight, like you did a few nights ago?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2009 02:49AM by Bob.

Posted by: eh ()
Date: January 25, 2009 07:07AM

get 'em bob

Posted by: author ()
Date: January 25, 2009 10:21AM

Ok, let's just say a lesson was learned for me. Thinking back, my actions did warrant suspicion by me darting directly for my garage then shutting it before the car was even in park. I guess I did this in a panic as the worst-case scenario would be a DWI (and to a lesser extent, a moving violation).

I've been driving for about 14 years and I've yet to be cited, let alone even pulled over. Clearly, alcohol impaired my judgment here and incited about 30 seconds of panic (hence, the shutting off of the lights...LOL), but I had very little time to think about it since the cop didn't have their bluelights on and I was only 2 blocks from home after I ran the stop sign. I was one block ahead of the cop on each turn I made, so I figured, what the heck, just punch it and get home. I guess when I pulled into my garage and quickly shutting it was my way of telling them to fuck off, go away and if you want to come in my house, get a warrant because they couldn't prove that I was driving.

But, here's the question I should have asked initially: Upon pausing in my driveway, why didn't they even ring the doorbell? I was fully expecting them to, and if they did, I was just going to ignore it. However, I know I wouldn't have ignored it if the blue lights were on as that may have resulted in an eluding charge. Heck, I wouldn't have even shut the garage at that point. I would've just played the cards that I was dealt and lawyered up if I had to.

Posted by: OMG ()
Date: January 25, 2009 09:09PM

He did not go to the door cause he had better things to do. Too much work.

Posted by: Why? wanna stalk me? ()
Date: January 25, 2009 10:23PM

author Wrote:
> But, here's the question I should have asked
> initially: Upon pausing in my driveway, why
> didn't they even ring the doorbell? I was fully
> expecting them to, and if they did, I was just
> going to ignore it. However, I know I wouldn't
> have ignored it if the blue lights were on as that
> may have resulted in an eluding charge. Heck, I
> wouldn't have even shut the garage at that point.
> I would've just played the cards that I was dealt
> and lawyered up if I had to.

There is one and only reason as to why he didnt knock on your door, it would be a pain in the ass to prove your guilt in court and any lawyer would have a fun time getting the charge dismissed. There are two many elements in this story that would complicate an arrest and he probably realized that you wouldnt have answered your door. Bottom line is that it wasnt worth his time and so he left. I wouldnt worry about him "coming back" or following you around your area, its history, nothing more will come out of it.

Date: January 26, 2009 05:15AM

dude you got away with it. stop beating yourself up. no harm no foul.

Posted by: god damn good advice ()
Date: January 26, 2009 05:43AM

hey i just watched Barry Cooper's Never Get Caught Again dvd. He gives some great advice. If a cop ever knocks on your door... DONT OPEN IT. If the cop had a legal reason to enter your house, he would have kicked your door in. Simply lock your door, go to a window and yell out to him " I dont open the door for police. If you would like to talk to me, have your dispatch call my cell phone, get a warrent, or we can keep yelling through the door." He is a former DEA agen (one of the best in the country), and he explains how full of shit the cops are. If you open the door for a cop that gives him the chance to say "i smell marijuana", and if he says that, then he has probable cause to get a warrent to search your house. By not opening the door, he cant claim he smelled any marijuana.

Date: January 26, 2009 07:49AM

god damn good advice Wrote:
> hey i just watched Barry Cooper's Never Get Caught
> Again dvd. He gives some great advice. If a cop
> ever knocks on your door... DONT OPEN IT. If the
> cop had a legal reason to enter your house, he
> would have kicked your door in. Simply lock your
> door, go to a window and yell out to him " I dont
> open the door for police. If you would like to
> talk to me, have your dispatch call my cell phone,
> get a warrent, or we can keep yelling through the
> door." He is a former DEA agen (one of the best in
> the country), and he explains how full of shit the
> cops are. If you open the door for a cop that
> gives him the chance to say "i smell marijuana",
> and if he says that, then he has probable cause to
> get a warrent to search your house. By not opening
> the door, he cant claim he smelled any marijuana.

A cop that is going to lie about smelling marijuana doesn't need you to open the door to do so. He can claim it must have been coming from a vent or an open window, or whatever. He could also claim he saw paraphernalia or other suspicious items plainly visible through a window, or anything he wanted to.

Most cops are not going to lie unless they really have a hair up their ass about you in particular. Cops don't go around trying to invent crimes, they have enough luck with all the dumbasses out there doing stupid shit and getting themselves caught.

If you are sober and have no smell of alcohol (or weed) on you, the safest thing to do is to step outside and close the door behind you. If you have been drinking, stay inside to avoid the risk of the cop trying to give you a DIP, but only open the door a few inches and use your body to block the view inside. Never allow the cop into your house. You never know what he might see that you didn't realize was visible (a seed, a roach, that resin covered piece of wire hanger you use to clean out your bong's down tube, etc.)

I think the "former DEA" guy is either full of shit or intentionally misinforming people. A cop doesn't need to get a warrant if he truly smells marijuana. He can enter your home based on the knowledge that a crime is being committed, under those circumstances.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2009 07:54AM by Bob.

Date: January 26, 2009 08:39AM

If you and your home are reaking like a Cheech and Chong movie I would yell through the window. If your going to get busted make them work for it. If they 'smell' it through a 'vent' they are full of shit. You can beat that in court.

Date: January 26, 2009 09:11AM

dono Wrote:
> If you and your home are reaking like a Cheech and
> Chong movie I would yell through the window. If
> your going to get busted make them work for it.
> If they 'smell' it through a 'vent' they are full
> of shit. You can beat that in court.

Actually, if a cop claims that he smelled marijuana, and upon entering your home he actually finds marijuana, it would be really hard to beat that in court.

Like I said, though, if a cop is going to make up a story, he's going to make up a story. It doesn't matter whether you yelled through a window or walked outside and closed the door behind you. However, by walking outside and talking to the police officer face-to-face, you can probably defuse the situation instead of giving the cop more reason to find a way to bust you for something. By yelling through a window, and pissing the cop off, he's probably more prone to making up some story just so he can bust down your door and haul you off to jail if he's the hot-headed type who is willing to lie.

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: January 26, 2009 09:27AM

I wonder how the cops would feel about my strategy, which has nothing to do with them and everything to do with having a second-floor condo and a first-floor front door... I don't answer the door for anyone I am not expecting, period, out of laziness.. no yelling out the window either. I recommend ignoring them and letting them try to find PC some other way. Merely speaking to them at all is something any sound lawyer would tell you to avoid, period.

Posted by: Numbers ()
Date: January 26, 2009 09:48AM

RESton Peace Wrote:
> I wonder how the cops would feel about my
> strategy, which has nothing to do with them and
> everything to do with having a second-floor condo
> and a first-floor front door... I don't answer the
> door for anyone I am not expecting, period, out of
> laziness.. no yelling out the window either. I
> recommend ignoring them and letting them try to
> find PC some other way. Merely speaking to them
> at all is something any sound lawyer would tell
> you to avoid, period.

Exactly what I was thinking too.
Yelling through a window would just piss the cop off and add you to his shit list.

Date: January 26, 2009 09:49AM

Bob Wrote:
> dono Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > If you and your home are reaking like a Cheech
> and
> > Chong movie I would yell through the window.
> If
> > your going to get busted make them work for it.
>
> > If they 'smell' it through a 'vent' they are
> full
> > of shit. You can beat that in court.
>
>
> Actually, if a cop claims that he smelled
> marijuana, and upon entering your home he actually
> finds marijuana, it would be really hard to beat
> that in court. see the bill of rights
>
> Like I said, though, if a cop is going to make up
> a story, he's going to make up a story. It
> doesn't matter whether you yelled through a window
> or walked outside and closed the door behind you.
> However, by walking outside and talking to the
> police officer face-to-face, you can probably
> defuse the situation instead of giving the cop
> more reason to find a way to bust you for
> something. By yelling through a window, and
> pissing the cop off, he's probably more prone to
> making up some story just so he can bust down your
> door and haul you off to jail if he's the
> hot-headed type who is willing to lie.

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: January 26, 2009 09:55AM

The sign on your front door about "cops needing a warrant to enter" was fucking great. Actually very appropriate, too... I immediately knew I had found the right place when I saw a sign warning the police.

RESton Peace Wrote:
> I wonder how the cops would feel about my
> strategy, which has nothing to do with them and
> everything to do with having a second-floor condo
> and a first-floor front door... I don't answer the
> door for anyone I am not expecting, period, out of
> laziness.. no yelling out the window either. I
> recommend ignoring them and letting them try to
> find PC some other way. Merely speaking to them
> at all is something any sound lawyer would tell
> you to avoid, period.

Date: January 26, 2009 10:00AM

dono Wrote:
> >
> > Actually, if a cop claims that he smelled
> > marijuana, and upon entering your home he
> actually
> > finds marijuana, it would be really hard to
> beat
> > that in court.

>> see the bill of rights
> >

Yes. I've read the bill of rights. I'm not General Hayden thinking it just needs to be reasonable or anything like that.

Cops are allowed to enter a property if they have reason to believe a crime is being committed or there is an emergency. If they hear screaming, or gunfire, or whatever, they can enter the property. If they smell marijuana, they can enter the property.

It doesn't matter what you tell a judge once a cop has entered your home and found marijuana. The judge is going to assume that the cop's claim of having smelled marijuana is unassailable considering he did, in fact, find marijuana. Bill of rights or no, that is the reality, whether it is constitutional or not.

Posted by: pgens ()
Date: January 26, 2009 10:01AM

I never answer the door either. Laziness is a factor, but knowing there's a good chance it is someone trying to sell/promote something is most of it.

Date: January 26, 2009 11:15AM

Bob Wrote:
> dono Wrote:
> -----
> > >
> > > Actually, if a cop claims that he smelled
> > > marijuana, and upon entering your home he
> > actually
> > > finds marijuana, it would be really hard to
> > beat
> > > that in court.
>
> >> see the bill of rights
> > >
>
> Yes. I've read the bill of rights. I'm not
> General Hayden thinking it just needs to be
> reasonable or anything like that.
>
> Cops are allowed to enter a property if they have
> reason to believe a crime is being committed or
> there is an emergency. If they hear screaming, or
> gunfire, or whatever, they can enter the property.
> If they smell marijuana, they can enter the
> property.
>
> It doesn't matter what you tell a judge once a cop
> has entered your home and found marijuana. The
> judge is going to assume that the cop's claim of
> having smelled marijuana is unassailable
> considering he did, in fact, find marijuana. Bill
> of rights or no, that is the reality, whether it
> is constitutional or not.

They are not going to be driving by and 'happen to smell' pot from your house. Granted if you are blowing bong hits out your front door you are screwed. But if you keep windows and doors closed the aroma cannot be detected outdoors. No cop is going to break down your friggin door in the hopes of finding MJ.

Probably best advise is not answer the door or keep the door shut. Keep the smell in. I would go to court with that over opening the door and letting the aroma out. BTW plenty of time to flush your stash. use papers not pipes or bongs and there will be nothing for them to 'find'

Cops are not your friends. They enforce laws and help in emergencies - thats it. Im glad they do it but I would not waive any rights to them ever if possible.

Posted by: Frank ()
Date: January 26, 2009 12:39PM

dono Wrote:
Granted if you are
> blowing bong hits out your front door you are
> screwed. But if you keep windows and doors closed
> the aroma cannot be detected outdoors. No cop is
> going to break down your friggin door in the hopes
> of finding MJ.
>
> Probably best advise is not answer the door or
> keep the door shut.

Best advise is probably don't be a criminal - don't smoke pot to begin with and you won't have to worry about this problem, at least.

Posted by: ITRADE ()
Date: January 26, 2009 01:11PM

You should have offered the cop a donut for his troubles (good munchy food).

Posted by: DJ ()
Date: January 26, 2009 01:45PM

"BTW.... " good advice.

but, the lights - maybe you just put away your milk and toilet paper and went to bed

Date: January 26, 2009 02:31PM

That's true, only I'd have to be the fastest grocery un-loader in supermarket history!

I was surprised that if they took the trouble to follow me when I was driving like a bat out of hell (albeit, the cop was a block behind me each time I turned - so they couldn't clock me either given it was a series of left/right, short turns), they would have least rang the door bell. If it were a straight-away street of say a 1/4 mile or more, I'm sure they would have bluelighted me. But even if they did flash me, I wonder if I could say I didn't see them in my rearview, before I shut the garage? Hmm.

I'm sure with the 5 minutes they spent in front of my house, they at least pulled my address up and saw that I have no priors, so I guess that helped.

Posted by: 496 ()
Date: January 26, 2009 09:35PM

Maybe they figured out that your a dumbass and didn't want to waste their time......

Date: January 26, 2009 09:54PM

496 Wrote:
> Maybe they figured out that your a dumbass and
> didn't want to waste their time......

Maybe they figured out he was one of the poor dumb asses whom pay their salary and left him alone and decided to serve and protect. I think many police are at least that smart...

Date: January 26, 2009 11:47PM

author Wrote:
> I was surprised that if they took the trouble to
> follow me when I was driving like a bat out of
> hell (albeit, the cop was a block behind me each
> time I turned - so they couldn't clock me either
> given it was a series of left/right, short turns),
> they would have least rang the door bell. If it
> were a straight-away street of say a 1/4 mile or
> more, I'm sure they would have bluelighted me.
> But even if they did flash me, I wonder if I could
> say I didn't see them in my rearview, before I
> shut the garage? Hmm.

It sounds like your driving got their attention, but they didn't or weren't able to clock you or observe any specific violations.

I think once they turn on their lights, they aren't going to just drive away just because you pulled into your garage. They didn't have enough time to find anything they could charge you with, hence they never turned on their lights.

>
> I'm sure with the 5 minutes they spent in front of
> my house, they at least pulled my address up and
> saw that I have no priors, so I guess that helped.

It sounds like that's what they did. Which probably means they never got close enough to your car to get your license plate #, either. After they pulled up the address and checked any names associated with it, and found nothing, they probably lurked around the corner for a few minutes or so, and then just wrote it off as a non-event.

Date: January 27, 2009 11:28AM

496 Wrote:
> Maybe they figured out that your a dumbass and
> didn't want to waste their time......

This coming from a guy who posted about his man-love for the Navy. Nice.

http://www.fairfaxunderground.com/forum/read/2/150632.html

Posted by: Nice ()
Date: January 27, 2009 11:57AM

No blue lights no worries dude... dont stress he won't bother you again.

Date: January 27, 2009 12:29PM

author Wrote:
> 496 Wrote:
> -----
> > Maybe they figured out that your a dumbass and
> > didn't want to waste their time......
>
> This coming from a guy who posted about his
> man-love for the Navy. Nice.
>
> http://www.fairfaxunderground.com/forum/read/2/150
> 632.html

Context - taken out ...... yuo=fagot

Posted by: 496 is 4-69? ()
Date: January 27, 2009 01:48PM

496 Wrote:
> author Wrote:
> -----
> > 496 Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Maybe they figured out that your a dumbass
> and
> > > didn't want to waste their time......
> >
> > This coming from a guy who posted about his
> > man-love for the Navy. Nice.
> >
> >
> http://www.fairfaxunderground.com/forum/read/2/150
>
> > 632.html
>
>
> Context - taken out ...... yuo=fagot

Is "496" really supposed to be a subliminal, man-love code for "4 69"?

You betcha.

Posted by: jimW ()
Date: January 27, 2009 04:38PM

I didn't have time to read the entire thread. unless i'm mistaken, and correct me if i'm wrong... you cannot be cited for a moving violation or DWI unless the officer either a) sees you in the drivers seat. b) sees the vehicle come to a stop, and you get out. i think an exception might be a traffic accident, with witnesses.

My neighbor back in home state called the cops on me for reckless driving. i got out of my car and chilled there til he showed up. the cop even asked me if i did it, i said yes (to an extent) he asked if i was driving the car, i said yes. EVEN THEN he said he couldn't write me a citation since he didn't see me in, or get out of, the car.

but damn, he yelled at my like a high school coach would.

bastard neighbor.

Date: January 27, 2009 10:36PM

jimW Wrote:
> I didn't have time to read the entire thread.
> unless i'm mistaken, and correct me if i'm
> wrong... you cannot be cited for a moving
> violation or DWI unless the officer either a) sees
> you in the drivers seat. b) sees the vehicle come
> to a stop, and you get out. i think an exception
> might be a traffic accident, with witnesses.
>

I don't think it's that they cannot cite you, it's that most cops realize they are facing an uphill battle if they do cite you. There's just way too much burden of proof on them in those cases.

> My neighbor back in home state called the cops on
> me for reckless driving. i got out of my car and
> chilled there til he showed up. the cop even asked
> me if i did it, i said yes (to an extent) he asked
> if i was driving the car, i said yes. EVEN THEN he
> said he couldn't write me a citation since he
> didn't see me in, or get out of, the car.
>
> but damn, he yelled at my like a high school coach
> would.
>
> bastard neighbor.

The fact that you admitted it should have been enough for the cop to charge you. At that point, all he has to say in court is that you admitted it, I believe that is all the proof he would need.

My guess is that the cop was a reasonable person and since you weren't evasive or uncooperative, he figured a good "dressing down" would be sufficient.

It's amazing how much influence your behavior and attitude has in situations dealing with the cops. I've been in many situations where I've gotten off with warnings, or had tickets reduced from "reckless" or some speed to "failure to obey a highway sign" just by being cooperative and speaking with the cop in a calm, professional, non-confrontational, even contrite manner.

I read in a book about avoiding speeding tickets that when you get pulled over, everything you do from the moment the lights go on to the moment the cop does or does not write you a ticket has enormous influence on whether or not you actually get a ticket.

Don't slam on your brakes or slow down rapidly, take your foot off the gas, acknowledge the officer by waving into the rearview mirror and pointing to the side of the road you plan on pulling over to, put on your turn signal and slowly decelerate and pull over, trying to find the safest location for both you and the cop -- if there's a wide shoulder area or the area just beyond an off-ramp, etc. As soon as you come to a complete stop, put the car in park and turn off the engine, roll down your window and turn on the interior light (if it's dark out). Have your license and registration ready when the cop comes to your door, or if you don't have time, be certain to tell the cop "I'm going to get my license, it's in my wallet in my pack pocket" or "I'm going to get my registration, it is in my glove box" before reaching for anything. All of those things put the officer at ease, it shows him you are attempting to follow a "procedure" and are cooperative and not a threat in any way. If you happen to have a CCW or open carry, explain that to the cop immediately and tell him exactly where your weapon is located, even offer to allow him to take control of it during the stop. I've heard from a few friends that this alone appears to increase the odds of not getting a ticket, it somehow puts you into a category of "especially upstanding citizen" or something.

I swear that how you act during the entire pull-over really makes a difference. I've had cops actually hand me back my license and registration without going back to their cruiser to run my info, and told me stuff like "I pulled you over to let you know that you were driving a little too fast" or whatever, and then just told me to be careful and pay attention to the speed limit in the future, or whatever.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2009 10:17PM by Bob.

Posted by: Agreed ()
Date: January 28, 2009 09:46AM

Well said...of course in this forum it falls on deaf ears more often than not.

Date: January 28, 2009 10:46AM

"Don't slam on your brakes or slow down rapidly, take your foot off the gas, acknowledge the officer by waving into the rearview mirror and pointing to the side of the road you plan on pulling over to, put on your turn signal and slowly decelerate and pull over, trying to find the safest location for both you and the cop -- if there's a wide shoulder area or the area just beyond an off-ramp, etc. As soon as you come to a complete stop, put the car in park and turn off the engine, roll down your window and turn on the interior light (if it's dark out). Have your license and registration ready when the cop comes to your door, or if you don't have time, be certain to tell the cop "I'm going to get my license, it's in my wallet in my pack pocket" or "I'm going to get my registration, it is in my glove box" before reaching for anything. All of those things put the officer at ease, it shows him you are attempting to follow a "procedure" and are cooperative and not a threat in any way. If you happen to have a CCW or open carry, explain that to the cop immediately and tell him exactly where your weapon is located, even offer to allow him to take control of it during the stop. I've heard from a few friends that this alone appears to increase the odds of not getting a ticket, it somehow puts you into a category of "especially upstanding citizen" or something"

Don't forget the gratuitous blowjob part.

Posted by: Genevieve ()
Date: January 28, 2009 02:17PM

TheMeeper Wrote:
> The sign on your front door about "cops needing a
> warrant to enter" was fucking great. Actually
> very appropriate, too... I immediately knew I had
> found the right place when I saw a sign warning
> the police.
>
>

The sign was amusing, but it was practical too; no running downstairs to open the door for guests.

Posted by: snowdenscold ()
Date: April 12, 2014 02:50AM

Huh? I don't get it.

The OP's incident happened January 2009 and you post a screenshot of something from June 2009.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.