HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Dulles Toll Road Main Rates to Increase Starting Jan. 1
Posted by: Sprawl and Crawl ()
Date: December 19, 2013 07:43AM

Dulles Toll Road Main Rates to Increase Starting Jan. 1
http://reston.patch.com/groups/around-town/p/dulles-toll-road-main-rates-to-increase-starting-jan-1

Regular travelers along the Dulles Toll Road will be giving a little bit more with each pass through the Main Plaza booth starting Jan. 1.

The Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority will increase the toll at the Main Plaza to $2.50 for vehicles with two axels, a 75 cent increase.

The rates at on/off ramps will remain the same during 2014, at $1.

According to MWAA, there is no toll increase planned for 2015.

The 2014 toll increase was adopted following a public comment period in 2012 that included three public meetings throughout the Dulles Corridor. http://www.mwaa.com/tollroad/5094.htm

According to MWAA, "the increase is necessary for the Airports Authority to operate and maintain the Dulles Toll Road and to help fund construction of the Dulles Corridor Metrorail Project." http://www.dullesmetro.com/

Under its agreement with the Commonwealth of Virginia, MWAA assumed the responsibility to operate and maintain the Dulles Toll Road for a 50-year period beginning in November 2008.

More information about the Dulles Toll Road, can be found on their website. http://www.mwaa.com/tollroad
Attachments:
2761292b078e0ce89b62429dcdb33fd0.png

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dulles Toll Road Main Rates to Increase Starting Jan. 1
Posted by: racer x. ()
Date: December 19, 2013 07:58AM

Looking at the number of cars daily on that road they must be making a fortune.

Posted by: question?? ()
Date: December 19, 2013 08:36AM

Sprawl and Crawl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority
> will increase the toll at the Main Plaza to $2.50
> for vehicles with two axels, a 75 cent increase.
>
> The rates at on/off ramps will remain the same
> during 2014, at $1.

$2.50 per car or for the larger trucks?

Dulles Toll Road rates set to increase 75 cents on Jan. 1
Posted by: Sprawl and Crawl ()
Date: December 30, 2013 07:05AM

Dulles Toll Road rates set to increase 75 cents on Jan. 1
http://www.wtop.com/149/3533053/Dulles-Toll-Road-rates-set-to-increase-75-cents

McLEAN, Va. (AP) - Another rate increase looms for drivers on the Dulles Toll Road.

The fee at the main toll plaza is set to increase on Jan. 1 by 75 cents to $2.50. A one-way ride on the length of the toll road will now cost $3.50.

The fee at the toll plaza has doubled since 2011. Funds from the toll road are being used to help pay for the nearly $6 billion expansion of the Metrorail system to Dulles International Airport.

Drivers of the toll road have complained that they are being asked to shoulder a disproportionate cost of building the rail extension.

The Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority, which operates the toll road and is overseeing construction of the Silver Line, says no rate increase is planned in 2015.

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Posted by: Atom ()
Date: December 30, 2013 08:24AM

Fucking Australians. Transurban is a curse on our country.

Posted by: Obama corruption ()
Date: December 30, 2013 08:28AM

This is Hussein Obama corruption at its finest. Legalized robbery. Just like he continues to do. The liberal fleecing of America continues.

Posted by: Actually... ()
Date: December 30, 2013 08:51AM

Obama corruption Wrote:
> This is Hussein Obama corruption at its finest.
> Legalized robbery. Just like he continues to do.
> The liberal fleecing of America continues.

You're a one-trick pony. But the pony is stuffed, and the trick is a sham.

Posted by: Nowayjose ()
Date: December 30, 2013 09:06AM

Transurban doesn't own the toll road, idiot.

Posted by: MWAA ()
Date: December 30, 2013 09:17AM

Hi this is Governor Kaine. I sold out Virginia, put a stop to development, closed the rest areas to make travel through the state unsafe and kill as many people as possible. However, I did do this. I made such a great deal with MWAA that they get to gouge the toll road users, raise the cost 55% and get 10% kick backs on every toll paid. Yeah, MWAA is a group of private investors that are buddies of mine and we love to screw the little people, were liberals. Since they are private they are untouchable. They are exempt from the FOIFA so nobody can get any information on our back door "sweetheart" deal (corruption)

Basically, fuck you Virginia. You will pay. Oh, and thanks for being total douchebags and electing another failure of a governor. He's going to try and expand medicaid and raising your taxes to extreme levels but thankfully the Virginia congress won't allow that to happen.

Liberal = anti humanity.

Posted by: Gerrymanderer2 ()
Date: December 30, 2013 09:21AM

Wasn't 495 expanded with express lanes under Bob McDonnell?

Posted by: Assholes Are Everywhere ()
Date: December 30, 2013 09:26AM

Nowayjose Wrote:
> Transurban doesn't own the toll road, idiot.

Toll Road, Greenway, hot lanes. Who can keep track? Heck, the jackass meter barely budged over that one. It was a mere drop if the bucket of the colossal ignorance and stupidity of the typical FFXU posters.

Posted by: Thank the MWAA ()
Date: December 30, 2013 09:36AM

Get used to it.

The rates on the toll road are going to keep increasing for the foreseeable future.

They told us as much when they started building the Silver Line. Everything the MWAA manages is hemorrhaging money so they have to make it up somewhere.

Posted by: Not Sure ()
Date: December 30, 2013 09:37AM

Gerrymanderer2 Wrote:
> Wasn't 495 expanded with express lanes under Bob
> McDonnell?

They completed the express lanes under McDonnell but I think they had been planning them for about a decade.

Posted by: I see nassing ()
Date: December 30, 2013 09:42AM

Not Sure Wrote:
> Gerrymanderer2 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Wasn't 495 expanded with express lanes under
> Bob
> > McDonnell?
>
> They completed the express lanes under McDonnell
> but I think they had been planning them for about
> a decade.

And he smiled and championed the project at the ribbon cutting, not to mention provided the final green light and push. Don't try to wipe your cleans free of it.

Date: December 30, 2013 09:47AM

MWAA Wrote:
> Hi this is Governor Kaine.

No, it's not -- it's poster Jerkwad Dumbfuck. MWAA is a regional public entity created in the 1980's with federal approval by the Commonwealth of Virginia, the state of Maryland, and the District of Columbia.

Right-wing = pro-asshole

Date: December 30, 2013 10:00AM

Thank the MWAA Wrote:
> Everything the MWAA manages is hemorrhaging
> money so they have to make it up somewhere.

Want to shopw us where you feeble fucking fathead? Here is the MWAA 2012 Comprehensive Annual Financial Report that you have never seen before and are too fucking dumb to read anyway.

http://www.mwaa.com/file/CAFR_2012.pdf

Posted by: Kaine, the commie ()
Date: December 30, 2013 10:18AM

In the 2006 General Assembly Special Session on Transportation, my bill prohibiting the sale or giving away of the Dulles Toll Road passed the House of Delegates. However, Governor Kaine succeeded in blocking this measure in the Senate Transportation Committee. Virginia had previously been offered almost $6 Billion dollars for the toll road. Instead, Governor Kaine entered into a contract with the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority and as a down payment for extending Metro Rail to Dulles Airport, the Commonwealth of Virginia turned over the Dulles Toll Road to the Metropolitan Washington Airport Authority. MWAA is then supposed to construct the rail line.

Unfortunately, Virginia officials, including then Governor Kaine, ignored a 2002 US Government Accountability Office report highly critical of MWAA’s secretive contracting practices and cost overruns. GAO questioned “whether the Authority obtained the best value in the marketplace for the goods and services that the Authority acquired through contracts.”

Of $408 million in contracts examined by GAO, MWAA failed to obtain open competition for 15 of 35 contracts. GAO said because MWAA fails to apply “generally recognized principles underlying the concept of full and open competition,” this “could convey an appearance of favoritism in its contracting decisions.”

GAO’s review was severely limited because MWAA “did not have a centralized database of its concession contracts or documented procedures for awarding these contracts.”

Also, since MWAA has refused to even comment on the GAO’s corrective procurement suggestions, GAO said MWAA would be reluctant on its own to correct the procurement problems: “This is particularly troublesome given that the Authority recently embarked upon a multibillion- dollar construction program at Dulles.” And this was before the multibillion dollar VDOT-MWAA memo signed March 24.

How can this happen? MWAA is a creation of Maryland, Virginia, Washington DC, and the federal government. Its 13 member appointed board of directors (only five live in Virginia) do not get paid. The MWAA Board includes Virginia and DC real estate developers who will thread the METRO subway through areas ripe for development opportunities.

The Washington Post describes the ambiance and operation of a recent MWAA Board meeting as: “Smartly clad members and their staff members move quickly and efficiently through their agendas with a lot of deference and little disagreement crossing the table.” Running the 1200 employee Airport Authority requires oversight and accountability, not necessarily “little disagreement.”

Will this unelected MWAA Board feel the pain of Northern Virginia commuters who will be paying increased tolls to use the Dulles Toll Road? The Virginia Board members can only be removed “for cause,” which does not include toll increases or lax oversight of cost overruns. Will Dulles Toll Road customers end up paying for more costly non-competitive contracts issued under GAO’s cloud of criticism?

Will the public be informed, or kept in the dark about contracts for the MWAA Metrorail to Dulles? MWAA says it is not subject to Virginia’s Freedom of Information Act and MWAA excludes cost estimates and bidding records from public disclosure requests even after contracts have been awarded. Other documents may be disclosed at the discretion of the office holding the records. Denials for documents may be appealed to a Business Administration Committee, which makes final decisions. Although federal and Virginia FOI laws allow court challenges for denied documents, MWAA is exempted. I do not believe this is government in the best interests of citizens.

FUCK THE PUBLIC. I'M A LIBERAL!

Posted by: Assholes Are Ubiquitous ()
Date: December 30, 2013 06:17PM

Great, a copy-and-paste from raving right-wing lunatic Bob "Some incest is voluntary" Marshall. Do you expect to be taken seriously, asshole?

Attachments:
puppet.jpg

Posted by: I See Tons of Assholes ()
Date: December 30, 2013 06:26PM

So I still don't see where everything that MWAA manages is hemorrhaging all this money. Is anyone going to step up on that, or do we just write that bullshit off as more illiterate fuckfaced nonsense from the ignorant asswipe goober scum-sucker wing of good old Fucktard Nation?

Posted by: Assholes Detected All Over ()
Date: December 30, 2013 06:32PM

No toll increase expected in 2015. DTR drivers can continue to pay the same amount to sit and gawk at passengers on the Silver Line as they whiz their way to Tysons.

Posted by: well... ()
Date: December 30, 2013 06:35PM

This is bullshit. $5.50 a day has turned into $7 a day for people who use the whole toll road. I think I'll just have to start taking the access road to the airport and exiting right onto 28. One part of the MWAA that isn't hemorrhaging money is the toll booths. Fucking a.

Posted by: Former NoVA ()
Date: December 30, 2013 07:32PM

well... Wrote:
> This is bullshit. $5.50 a day has turned into $7
> a day for people who use the whole toll road. I
> think I'll just have to start taking the access
> road to the airport and exiting right onto 28.
> One part of the MWAA that isn't hemorrhaging money
> is the toll booths. Fucking a.

$5.50 a day? I remember that it wasn't too long ago that the rates were mostly $.25 and $.50 at the big toll plazas ...

Jacking up the tolls is a win-win. It rakes in lots of money but also makes commuting via Metro from the Reston/Dulles area into Tysons appealing.

But look at what it does to people trying to use mass transit to get downtown. Those people are really going to get screwed. It used to be that driving to one of the Reston/Herndon Park&Rides and hopping a Connector bus to the Orange Line at WFC was affordable for both price and commuting time relative to the other options. Before I left the area I took a look at what taking the Silver Line from Reston to my job downtown and figured that between parking costs and expected Metro prices above the Connector I was looking at about $10 EXTRA per-day and about 15-20 minutes longer each way (due to the Metro routing through and stopping in Tysons)

This is just another example of why I decided to pull chocks and get the hell out of the area. I have a 12-mile driving commute that takes about 25 minutes, and parking is $12 per month. Without the stress and hassles of the various DC commuting options.

Posted by: Soul Killer ()
Date: December 30, 2013 07:51PM

Former NoVA Wrote:

>
> This is just another example of why I decided to
> pull chocks and get the hell out of the area. I
> have a 12-mile driving commute that takes about 25
> minutes, and parking is $12 per month. Without
> the stress and hassles of the various DC commuting
> options.

You are lucky to get the hell out of here, It's just getting worse. I'm getting ready to bolt out of here myself. It was a great place back in the early 90's, You should see it now!

Posted by: Jacques Offe ()
Date: December 30, 2013 11:36PM

So with the toll increasing to $2.50 at the main plaza, can they get rid of those useless "Coins Only" exact change lanes? Who the fuck carries $2.50 in loose change these days? They only have 2 lanes with toll collectors and those lanes back up a half-mile or more, even on weekends. Heading from Reston to the Beltway, left to right, you have two EZPass only lanes, two of those retarded "Coins Only" lanes, two full-service lanes, an EZPass only lane, and the exit lane for Spring Hill. Use the extra money to hire another couple of people - those coin baskets are useless unless they modify them to accept dollar bills (like PA 43 in Southwestern PA), or they could put a bill changer like they have at some of the on/off ramps on the AC Expressway in New Jersey.

Posted by: snowdenscold ()
Date: December 30, 2013 11:49PM

Jacques Offe Wrote:
> Heading
> from Reston to the Beltway, left to right, you
> have two EZPass only lanes, two of those retarded
> "Coins Only" lanes, two full-service lanes, an
> EZPass only lane, and the exit lane for Spring
> Hill. Use the extra money to hire another couple
> of people - those coin baskets are useless unless
> they modify them to accept dollar bills (like PA
> 43 in Southwestern PA), or they could put a bill
> changer like they have at some of the on/off ramps
> on the AC Expressway in New Jersey.

Or make a giant "arch" type EZ pass reader for 6 lanes, and have a single booth for everyone else - coins, cash, or otherwise.

People would get on board w/ EZ-pass pretty quickly.

That's what they do in other states...

Posted by: Route7 Roar ()
Date: January 02, 2014 11:45AM

Beyond the Toll Road, the Greenway is worse. As we speak the Dulles Greenway owners are in judicial proceeding about the legality of their high tolls. It is State Corporation Commission case PUE-2013-00011. That road was construction in the 90s for $300 million, but now has $1 Billion of debt leveraged against it. That is why the tolls on the Greenway (not the toll road) keep going up. It is a shell game. Journalists need to read the transcripts of that hearing and report on the literal highway robbery taking place by TRIP II (Greenway owners). Lots of information is coming out in the SCC case, but no one is covering it.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.