HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Moving DVR Files from Cox to FiOS
Posted by: Fairfax22032 ()
Date: December 14, 2008 09:39AM

Is it possible to copy the saved TV programs on my Cox DVR and move them to my new FiOS DVR? I noticed that there is a SATA port on the Cox STB and was wondering whether that was solely for additional storage.

My guess is that the answer to my question is 'no' due to incompatible file formats. If so, is there another option? Would I need to copy everything to DVD?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Moving DVR Files from Cox to FiOS
Posted by: Adam ()
Date: December 14, 2008 12:25PM

Yes, its called 3rd Party DVR, Myth TV, ect...

Posted by: Radiophile ()
Date: December 14, 2008 03:49PM

I have a DVD recorder and it quite easy to copy files from a cox box to a dvd.
The only issue is it has to be done in real time: a two hour program takes two hours to record on a dvd.

Date: December 14, 2008 08:19PM

Can I use either the 1394 or SATA ports to connect an external hard drive, copy the files and then use that to burn the DVDs? I would rather not buy a new drive, but could use the DVD burner in my desktop if what I describe would work.

Posted by: Bob ()
Date: December 14, 2008 10:36PM

Fairfax22032 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Can I use either the 1394 or SATA ports to connect
> an external hard drive, copy the files and then
> use that to burn the DVDs? I would rather not buy
> a new drive, but could use the DVD burner in my
> desktop if what I describe would work.

I don't know if you can keep the cox dvr long enough to play the saved shows into the fios dvr. I suspoect that isn't possible.

The best you can do is get a TV tuner card or a slingplayer and windows media encoder and record everything to your hard drive by playing the recorded media over your slingbox and encoding it to .wmv.

I pulled off about 5 movies before I cancelled my dvr service with cox. WME isn't perfect, you have to set it up just right to record the area of slingplayer that has video, and sometimes it won't work. It takes about 5 or 10 minutes to get it right and then you can just record anything the slingplayer is streaming from your cable box/dvr.

Plus, once you buy a slingbox, you can now watch and control your home cable box anywhere you have a broadband connection. I've watched local news and sports while sitting in an airport lounge, had all the movie channels in a ski condo that had a signle HBO channel, etc. It's a good device to have.

Oh yea, missed your last question... I used to set the cox DVR to capture movies and then when I had time I would set up windows media encoder to record the slingplayer's video and store it as wmv, then I would burn it as a DVD. At the time I even had software to label the chapters in the main menu with 15 second clips from each chapter, etc. The quality was probably not 100%, considering how many processes it had passed through, but I have dozens of DVDs that are watchable on a 52" plasma with an upscaling DVD player.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2008 10:49PM by Bob.

Posted by: arto smarto ()
Date: December 15, 2008 01:31PM

You cannot transfer shows from the Cox DVR to your FIOS DVR. Bob has a viable solution for you. The ports on the back are not enabled by the software/firmware on the boxes anyways. Even if they were, the shows are likely stored encrypted. So, there is no "practical" way you can switch.

A small suggestion. The HD Tivo works awesome with FIOS cable cards. Do yourself a favor and pick up a Tivo instead of the crummy FIOS DVR box. The Tivo has tons more storage space, it is upgradeable, and you won't lose your recordings if you ever change services again.

Date: December 16, 2008 12:09AM

arto smarto Wrote:
> A small suggestion. The HD Tivo works awesome
> with FIOS cable cards. Do yourself a favor and
> pick up a Tivo instead of the crummy FIOS DVR box.
> The Tivo has tons more storage space, it is
> upgradeable, and you won't lose your recordings if
> you ever change services again.

That would mean another remote for my wife to screw up. I know that I can get a Harmony, but my AV budget is shot for the time being and even a smart remote will lead to 3am calls when I am on TDY and she can't watch Oprah.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: December 16, 2008 01:07AM

just download the videos you want from the internet you twit.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Date: December 16, 2008 01:21AM

Gravis Wrote:
> just download the videos you want from the
> internet you twit.

If he's got them already, it saves him the headache.

It took me 15 minutes to find a working copy of "The Day the Earth Stood Still" tonight, only to find out it sucked.

Date: December 16, 2008 03:58AM

Bob Wrote:
> Gravis Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > just download the videos you want from the
> > internet you twit.
>
> If he's got them already, it saves him the
> headache.

right because finding out how to transfer files on two proprietary pieces of hardware and transcoding the video files is much easier. i mean, typing the name of what you want into the search bar at torrentz.com or similar sites then downloading the torrent would be a real pain. btw, ps3 can play almost any video file you can throw at it, which makes watching on an actual tv screen very easy.

> It took me 15 minutes to find a working copy of
> "The Day the Earth Stood Still" tonight, only to
> find out it sucked.

getting movies that are currently in theaters has always been hit or miss. however, it's easy to get high quality dvd/tv rips via torrents.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Date: December 16, 2008 04:10AM

Gravis Wrote:
> right because finding out how to transfer files on
> two proprietary pieces of hardware and transcoding
> the video files is much easier. i mean, typing
> the name of what you want into the search bar at
> torrentz.com or similar sites then downloading the
> torrent would be a real pain. btw, ps3 can play
> almost any video file you can throw at it, which
> makes watching on an actual tv screen very easy.
>

Using slingplayer or even a TV tuner card makes it really easy. Compared to downloading dozens of copies of a movie or show in order to find one of decent quailty, it's much easier to transfer from one DVR to your PC then transfering it to the other DVR (or just keeping it on your PC)

>
> > It took me 15 minutes to find a working copy of
> > "The Day the Earth Stood Still" tonight, only
> to
> > find out it sucked.
>
> getting movies that are currently in theaters has
> always been hit or miss. however, it's easy to
> get high quality dvd/tv rips via torrents.

The only working copy of DTEST was a camcorder version, and 35 minutes in, it turned out it was shot in a russian theater (there was a scene where Keanu speaks chinese to someone, and they put the translation in russian)

The only problem with torrents is that certain groups monitor it (MPAA, RIAA). Freenet isn't as easy to use or find things, but it's much safer.

Date: December 16, 2008 04:57AM

Bob Wrote:
> Using slingplayer or even a TV tuner card makes it
> really easy. Compared to downloading dozens of
> copies of a movie or show in order to find one of
> decent quailty

huh? where the hell do you get torrents from or are you new to the whole torrent thing? o_O?
i havent had problems with quality anything that is broadcast in HD (almost everything is now) or is available on DVD.

if it's still in theaters then it's not going to be anywhere on TV so pay the fucking money or dont bitch.

> The only problem with torrents is that certain
> groups monitor it (MPAA, RIAA). Freenet isn't as
> easy to use or find things, but it's much safer.

the MPAA doesnt go after the little guy, they watched the RIAA destroy their image and didnt follow suit.

you have fallen into their trap of fearing being sued. statistically speaking, on a daily basis, you are more likely to die than you are to be sued by RIAA.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2008 05:07AM by Gravis.

Date: December 19, 2008 12:20PM

Bob Wrote:
> The only problem with torrents is that certain
> groups monitor it (MPAA, RIAA). Freenet isn't as
> easy to use or find things, but it's much safer.

now you have absolutely nothing to fear. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122966038836021137.html

Posted by: MrMephisto ()
Date: December 19, 2008 01:24PM

Radiophile Wrote:
> cox box

Uh-huh huh huh, uh-huh-huh-huh huh...
Attachments:
butthead.jpg

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.