HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
End is near for Red Skins Coach Shanahan
Posted by: ESPN ()
Date: December 09, 2013 01:44PM

End is near for Shanahan
http://espn.go.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/3684/end-is-near-for-shanahan

LANDOVER, Md. -- The game didn't matter at all, just like too many December games in Washington in the past dozen or so years. It’s down to this: trying to figure out whose version of the truth is the correct one.

Both sides -- the Mike Shanahan camp and the Robert Griffin III camps -- come across the same way. They look and sound exhausted by what has transpired. One side leaks out how the relationship between Dan Snyder and Griffin displeases the head coach and is damaging. They’re too close. The other side says that’s just not the case. They rarely talk during the season; they’re not that close.

But this is the state of the Washington Redskins. Trying to parse meaning from every sentence, from the way someone answers a question. Did they look angry? Defeated? Teary-eyed? Other cities talk about playoff races; in Washington it returns to politics and body language. Oh, and job security: Will Snyder fire Shanahan? If so, is it imminent? Will Snyder let him twist a little?

Shanahan had the opportunity to deny an ESPN.com report about the events of last season, when it was reported that he planned to quit because of Griffin’s relationship with Snyder. Shanahan obviously didn’t quit -- nor did he shoot down the story. If a guy wants to get fired, one good way is to have a story like this come out (and then not say who your starting quarterback is for next week, as Shanahan did as well).

It was the first topic he discussed after the Redskins’ 45-10 loss to the Kansas City Chiefs in front of a record-low 56,247 fans at home.

“It’s not the right time or place to talk about my relationship with Dan Snyder,” Shanahan said, “or it’s not the right time and place to talk about something that happened a year ago. I will get a chance to talk to Dan at the end of the season and I will give him some viewpoints from me and I’m sure he will give me his thoughts. I’m not sure what direction we will go, but we will communicate that at the right time.”

Shanahan wouldn’t answer any questions about anything other than what happens on the field. His focus, he kept repeating, is on next week’s opponent Atlanta.

“I’d like to talk about the job at hand,” he said, giving the impression he was already resigned to his fate. “And not speculation or my relationship.”

That will be tough to do as long as he remains employed by the Redskins. As Shanahan exited Fed Ex Field at 5:20 p.m. ET, he still was the coach. And as long as he’s the coach all aspects will be picked apart because they all play into any decision Snyder will make.

The players harp on the old lines of not focusing on what they can’t control. But it takes a toll, not just the losing but the endless speculation.

“It’s extremely difficult,” tight end Logan Paulsen said. “It’s like going to work every day and someone is standing outside your window telling you how much you sucked. It’s a distraction and it’s very difficult to navigate that. I think that’s the biggest thing. It’s noise constantly. People talking about your coach getting fired. People talking about cutting players. People talking about everything under the sun. That’s always really difficult.

“I do worry about [what might happen]. Shanahan is a guy I have a ton of respect for. I want to play at a level that is going to keep him here. Every time we have a game like this, I feel I’m not helping him keep his job.”

It’s clear that Griffin is perturbed as well. He’s a 23-year-old quarterback who was the talk of the NFL a year ago. He still is, for different reasons. It’s one thing for him to hear his game picked apart; it’s another to have other aspects of his life probed. There’s always noise that accompanies terrible seasons in Washington, especially when there are questions about whether or not the head coach will return.

Now Griffin is caught up in it. Safe to say he understands how it looks for him. Safe to say he’s frustrated about how his relationship with Snyder is portrayed, that they rarely talk during the season and not about football. Snyder was pilloried in the past for his chummy relationship with players, something that was not an issue the past several years.

“I’m not going to talk about that stuff guys,” Griffin said. “It’s not relevant to the game or relevant to my life. That is my answer to that. This is ridiculous.”

But he did go longer when asked why his relationship with the coach or owner is always being questioned.

“I don’t know,” Griffin said. “I’m getting frustrated now, too, and trying to hold everything back. Some things are allowed to happen and we can cut a lot of this stuff out and it is not being cut out. I don’t know what else I can do about that. It is very unfortunate.”

This is no longer a healthy relationship, this one between Shanahan and Griffin. When these stories come out, it makes you wonder why.

“Is it calculated?” Griffin said. “I don’t know what it is.”

Here’s what many would call it: the end.

With rumors swirling around the franchise, Redskins coach Mike Shanahan's days as coach could be numbered.
Attachments:
nfl_g_shanahan01jr_576x324.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: End is near for Red Skins Coach Shanahan
Posted by: RG 3-and-out ()
Date: December 09, 2013 02:11PM

Fucking RG3. What a prima donna. And Synder is the one that causes the problems. He's a fan who happens to own the team. He wants to hang out with the players. Insanity. Look at owners like Kraft, the Yorks or Allen in Seattle. They hire good coaches and then sit back and watch the games. No meddling. Kraft decided to bring in Tebow this Summer but let Belichick make the decision on whether he stays or goes. Synder sucks.

Posted by: Stabitha ()
Date: December 09, 2013 02:33PM

I commented to friends yesterday while watching the debacle, that Shanarat looked like a guy in the dentists office waiting room preparing for double root canal. He wants to be anywhere but here right now.

Posted by: asdfasdfasdfasdf ()
Date: December 09, 2013 02:55PM

Stabitha Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I commented to friends yesterday while watching
> the debacle, that Shanarat looked like a guy in
> the dentists office waiting room preparing for
> double root canal. He wants to be anywhere but
> here right now.

That assessment seems right on to me.

Posted by: Ownership has its privilege ()
Date: December 09, 2013 03:02PM

Shanny thought he was heading to the HOF until he got Redskinned. Gibbs was lucky and was already in before he got Redskinned by Snyder. Two HOF caliber coaches couldn't win here. Vinny shares much of the blame for Gibbs, but Dannyboy was a Vinny supporter. Now we have a good GM, decent coach but still suck. One constant is Danny.

Posted by: CellMates ()
Date: December 09, 2013 03:39PM

Stabitha Wrote:
> I commented to friends yesterday while watching
> the debacle, that Shanarat looked like a guy in
> the dentists office waiting room preparing for
> double root canal. He wants to be anywhere but
> here right now.

Thought your friend was in jail for manslaughter.

Posted by: End Is near ()
Date: December 09, 2013 04:03PM

Today in the press conference he mentioned that all he needs to do is take his iPad and two other items and he is moved out.

Posted by: Kilton ()
Date: December 09, 2013 04:25PM

RG 3-and-out Wrote:
> Fucking RG3. What a prima donna.

Yep. He's your classic bitch. DC's hero -- LOL.

Posted by: The Jerk ()
Date: December 09, 2013 04:26PM

this ipad, that's all i need... and this chair, that's all i need... and my jacket... but that's all i need... and this snickers bar...

Posted by: Football Is Like This... ()
Date: December 09, 2013 05:30PM

Can you people take a deep breath? The Redskins faced off against one of the best teams in the league. The Chiefs are fighting to stay up with Denver and several others. They were the longest undefeated team this year. What did you expect the Redskins to do against them? Talent is unbalanced in the league on any given year. That's life.

For the Redskins, of course, it's going to take a few years. They traded away a great draft pick they would have had at the end of this year. But recent history shows that the last is often first in as short a time as one year.

Posted by: Sam Frank Sonny ()
Date: December 09, 2013 05:35PM

Well lets see. The Chiefs were beat by the Chargers. The Redskins beat the Chargers. How about they start by showing up.

Posted by: P Manning ()
Date: December 09, 2013 05:39PM

Football Is Like This... Wrote:
> Can you people take a deep breath? The Redskins
> faced off against one of the best teams in the
> league. The Chiefs are fighting to stay up with
> Denver and several others. They were the longest
> undefeated team this year. What did you expect the
> Redskins to do against them? Talent is unbalanced
> in the league on any given year. That's life.
>
> For the Redskins, of course, it's going to take a
> few years. They traded away a great draft pick
> they would have had at the end of this year. But
> recent history shows that the last is often first
> in as short a time as one year.

Here is an idea, you stop punting to McCluster over and over once he beats you. Any coach with half a brain would not have kicked to him repeatedly. Even a first place team like the Broncos or Patriots would know not to roll the dice and just kicked it out of bounds. Sure it looks like a crap move but better than a TD run back every time.

Posted by: editor in chief ()
Date: December 09, 2013 05:51PM

Sam Frank Sonny Wrote:
> Well lets see. The Chiefs were beat by the
> Chargers. The Chargers tripped over their own 2 feet and beat themselves. How
> about they start by showing up.

Posted by: Liberal Logic 34 ()
Date: December 09, 2013 06:12PM

So whats the excuse for being 0 for the division then, or losing to the Vikings, or having a worse record then the Jags?

No. The Chiefs are the exception not the rule. They also had 6 pro bowlers on defense and a ton of injuries last year. The skins are healthy and barely have 6 NFL starters on each side of the ball.

Posted by: Stabitha ()
Date: December 09, 2013 07:40PM

>

Wow......can I have some of what youre smoking. Seems to distort all reality,

The Deadskins have been rebuilding for about 20 years now. Last shall be first? Hahahaha hit that bong again bro!

Posted by: Kilton ()
Date: December 10, 2013 06:31AM

Stabitha Wrote:
> Wow......can I have some of what youre smoking.
> Seems to distort all reality,
>
> The Deadskins have been rebuilding for about 20
> years now. Last shall be first? Hahahaha hit that
> bong again bro!

Typical DC-area sports fan -- always unrealistically positive. It's good for entertainment value though.

Posted by: Coach! ()
Date: December 10, 2013 07:44AM

Kilton Wrote:
> Stabitha Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Wow......can I have some of what youre smoking.
> > Seems to distort all reality,
> >
> > The Deadskins have been rebuilding for about 20
> > years now. Last shall be first? Hahahaha hit
> that
> > bong again bro!
>
> Typical DC-area sports fan -- always
> unrealistically positive. It's good for
> entertainment value though.
Attachments:
nfl_a_shanahan_kh_300x300.jpg

Posted by: RG III ()
Date: December 10, 2013 08:00AM

It's going to be tough for Snyder to fire Shanahan. Shanahan's contract says that he can be fired only if Snyder is allowed to take Shanahan's dick up his ass, or Shanahan gets a blowjob from every Skins' cheerleader.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.