HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
??? Gaming computer questions
Posted by: gaming help ()
Date: December 07, 2013 09:02PM

I am looking to purchase a "Gaming computer" for my son for xmas and I'm looking for suggestions on a good computer with a price tag of around $600. Obviously the three most important components are the Graphics, Speed and Memory. I have spoken to Dell but just became even more confused about what to buy. If there is anyone on here that can help with suggestions, that would be great. Thank you in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ??? Gaming computer questions
Posted by: Falcon ()
Date: December 07, 2013 09:08PM

This isn't for your son. You must not have kids or a job. Are you neglecting something in your life to suspend reality on a computer game for hours on end.

If you really do have a son, why would you support gaming as substitute parenting?

Posted by: whyyoudodat ()
Date: December 07, 2013 09:47PM

Heeeey motherfucker, you didn't help him one bit I bet. You don't like gams? FUCK OFF! GET YOUR ASS OFF MY INTERNETZ!

Posted by: gamer guy ()
Date: December 07, 2013 09:52PM

The best way to go is to BUILD YOUR OWN gaming machine. It isn't that hard. Figure it out, or hire someone to do it for you.

Date: December 07, 2013 09:54PM

Falcon.. your Saturday must be pretty boring or are you that lonely and desperate that you needed to make such a stupid comment in order to get someone to talk to you??? I think there are crisis hotlines that can provide you some company if you just Google "lonely & have nothing better to do than hang out on FFX Underground". Good luck to you.

Posted by: Dell CEO ()
Date: December 07, 2013 10:08PM

http://alienware.com/

Definitely not the cheapest. In fact, downright overpriced. And we're proud of it. Just the best.

/thread

Date: December 07, 2013 10:20PM

Gamer guy..... I'm sure building your own is fairly simple for someone that understands the computer "language" and what the functions are that make a gaming computer what it is. I understand the simple terms such as it needs to be fast, the graphics should be clear and realistic and there should be enough room for many games, but as far as breaking those down into computer terms and knowing what brands are better than others I couldn't even begin to know. If I knew how I wouldn't be here asking for suggestions. Thanks for your input though.

Posted by: 2 gaming help ()
Date: December 07, 2013 11:05PM

Gaming Help-

Well you could study up on it yourself or pay someone to do it for you. You'd probably get some decent advice at Micro Center, many of them are gamers.

One free piece of advice-don't waste one cent you don't have to on a fancy case. It is just a case. Concentrate on your components, and take time putting them together.

This is quite possible for $600 but at that price you're on your own. A good computer consultant would put a dent in the budget. But, like I said, this is not that hard-systems integration, really, not programming.

Good luck.

Posted by: It's For The Best ()
Date: December 07, 2013 11:26PM

Get your kid a PS4 and tell him PC gaming is dead. Console gaming is the future.

Posted by: F the name brands ()
Date: December 07, 2013 11:44PM

http://t.tigerdirect.com/products/4959021

Cheaper, and much better specs than any brand name PC for that price.

Date: December 07, 2013 11:51PM

2 gaming help...... Thank you, I didn't think about contacting Micro center and will definitely give them a call.

It's for the best...... He has a PS4 and he and his brother share the Xbox one. I have tried talking him out of the gaming computer but he is insistent on getting one. He had the choice of getting the gaming computer or a new drum set. Had I known it was going to be this complicated in figuring out which system to go with I would have just said Drums and that's it. Regardless he picked and now I have to hold up to my end of the deal and find one that provides himself with what he needs.
Thank you though for suggesting micro center.

Posted by: eesh ()
Date: December 07, 2013 11:57PM

Both of these PC companies have good gaming systems for under $600.

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/

http://www.cybertronpc.com/home~cat~gamers.htm

Posted by: "Help" ()
Date: December 08, 2013 12:29AM

Definitely Radio Shack. That TRS-80 is wicked fast.

Posted by: whyyoudodat ()
Date: December 08, 2013 03:29AM

Make your kid do what others and I had to do. Make him piece it together. I built computers at age 10 - I'm not bragging, it's something anyone could do so long as they are willing to follow through. Age isn't a factor, but I'm sure he's over 10. He's just lazy, like most kids I knew.

PS. I had a budget that I stuck to as well. And it was less than $600 back then. This is an opporunity for your kid to learn to budget and look for DEALS (something you'll need in life - or not).

Posted by: Watson ()
Date: December 08, 2013 10:37AM

To OP,

You will have to get off your butt and GO to Microcenter. They aren't going to tell you much of anything over the phone. Go when they aren't busy so the salesperson will take his time explaining things. So avoid the weekends.

You won't get more than an average (at best) gaming systems for $600, even if you build it yourself. Look at places like Costco when they have a sale. You can get an i7 4th generation with a 1 gb graphics card and 8 - 12 gigs or memory for $700 on sale (plus tax and shipping). Not a super-great system but good enough for almost all games.

Microcenter is by far the best place to go around here to educate yourself before you buy anything. They'll tell you what you should be looking for, even if you don't buy it from them. It helps if you don't tell them that up front though.

A really good gaming system can be built for $1200. Of course, if he's playing on-line, the performance of the computer will probably not the be source of issues (unless you get a crappy computer). It will be your Internet connection. Don't skimp on the graphics card or the power supply. An i5 Intel will be enough for games. Look for at least a 500w power supply. It will keep things humming along and allow for expansion. Anything less than a 450w and you're limited to probably whatever comes with the computer including memory and graphics card.

Building a computer is not really that difficult if you can screw stuff together and plug things together correctly. There are also levels of "self-building" to choose from. You can buy the major components already built and then put them together (e.g. a mother board with the processor already inserted and the RAM already on board). This is a bit more expensive than getting each component and building it from scratch and, obviously, you can't upgrade since you're buying most of the PC pre-built.

You can go online to Microcenter and check out their prices on the components (mother board, CPU, RAM, cooling fans, power supply, hard drive, graphics card, case). These are the main parts of the computer. You also have things like DVD player/burner, USB ports, keyboard, mouse, etc that will add $100 or more. And then there's the monitor, which will add another $150 plus depending on the size, manufacturer and whether you shop around for a sale.

And finally, you posted this in the wrong forum. This should be in Off Topics

Posted by: Watson ()
Date: December 08, 2013 10:40AM

One more thing: avoid Dell if you can. They are decent computers but they don't allow for expansion as they either integrate everything into the mother board or they come with cheap, low watt power supplies that are proprietary just for Dell.

Posted by: BrianSchoeneman ()
Date: December 08, 2013 11:53AM

I buy from Digital Storm - www.digitalstorm.com

I would suggest waiting to get something a little more expensive. For $600 you'll be buying something that will be obsolete in a few months. I would also check newegg.com - they will let you search by your price range, which may be more helpful.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2013 11:53AM by BrianSchoeneman.

Date: December 08, 2013 01:23PM

Thank you very much for your help. Your information was very helpful and just saved us from buying a computer that probably wouldn't work too well. I will certainly make a point to visit microcenter. I hate to say this in today's world but as I stated before I'm just not very computer savvy when it comes to building something. It may be easier for a man, which I am not.
Again.... Thank you.

Posted by: wont be obsolete ()
Date: December 08, 2013 01:48PM

gaming help Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thank you very much for your help. Your
> information was very helpful and just saved us
> from buying a computer that probably wouldn't work
> too well. I will certainly make a point to visit
> microcenter. I hate to say this in today's world
> but as I stated before I'm just not very computer
> savvy when it comes to building something. It may
> be easier for a man, which I am not.
> Again.... Thank you.

http://www.cybertronpc.com/Customkititems.asp?ic=&kc=gm4213a&Group=HOME&iQty=1&Source=&show=0#aDetails

That's a good one for the price. Already assembled, and will handle any new games for the next few years, not at the best settings but it will be more then enough.

Posted by: MILF Hunter ()
Date: December 09, 2013 12:36AM

gaming help Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thank you very much for your help. Your
> information was very helpful and just saved us
> from buying a computer that probably wouldn't work
> too well. I will certainly make a point to visit
> microcenter. I hate to say this in today's world
> but as I stated before I'm just not very computer
> savvy when it comes to building something. It may
> be easier for a man, which I am not.
> Again.... Thank you.

Wait...whoa...

Not a man?

Can you please post some pics of yourself here on the forum? Just use the "Attach a file" hyperlink just below the subject field...thanks.

Posted by: PC builder ()
Date: December 09, 2013 11:15AM

If you can follow instructions (and know how to use a screwdriver) you can certainly build one yourself; however, I understand your reluctance if you're just not inclined or interested. In addition, it will be tough to build a gaming machine yourself with that price limit ($600).

One other thing to consider are the games your son will be playing as far as their system requirements go (e.g., RAM, storage, processor speed). Usually the minimum requirements for the games will results in slow play/load times, etc. Suggest getting a system a notch or two above the minimums for the games he's interested in.

Good luck!

Posted by: Somed ()
Date: February 09, 2021 11:14AM

I am very pleased to join your discussion, I also want to add a few words. I have a website https://racingbetting.in/10cric/, which I constantly use in order to earn money, that is how the top betting platforms are located here.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.