HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Does anybody know of any ghost stories or haunted areas in the Vienna/Oakton area?
Posted by: joeispro ()
Date: April 07, 2012 02:53PM

Cemetaries, houses, abandened houses, anything

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Does anybody know of any ghost stories or haunted areas in the Vienna/Oakton area?
Posted by: BLEH ()
Date: April 07, 2012 03:20PM

BLEH chEck meTro stATion scAry Place peOple wiTh spiNninG heAds snAkes oN seaTs snAkes wherE driver sitS oN metrO trAin put moneY iN macHines nO tiCkets haVe a bAtShit crAzY snAke bAnana fAcE staTion ManaGer aT ViEnnA kiCk mE,ouT batShiT craZy hE I'd sPeaking iN toNGues heAd SpINnING snAkes oN plAtform fINN doUBlE dIPpINg moTherfUckEr riDe railS oF SnAKES foR frEe forgEt rilurNing Away froM hoists compUter foR tHe faT pregnaNt ladY oR crAck hore AMy burnY leGs standIng UP holDinG on stop polEs witH rotteD teeTh reAd youR paPer snakEs wiLl noT sEe yoU baTShit cRAZY baNana fACE

Re: Does anybody know of any ghost stories or haunted areas in the Vienna/Oakton area?
Posted by: CASPER ()
Date: April 07, 2012 05:15PM

Posted by: Mycroft Homes ()
Date: April 07, 2012 05:47PM

Theres lots of women who are dead below the waist in Vienna...scary!

Posted by: Henry Waters ()
Date: April 07, 2012 05:56PM

joeispro Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Cemetaries, houses, abandened houses, anything

theses a cemetary from the 1800s somewhere on town of vienna property i forget exactly where, its off like a residential street i used to live there but theres a civil war graveyard where these three kids were eaten in 1893, they say a crazed meat butcher was the one who did it. anyways he ate the kids and the town found out and hung him, off of gallows road. residents since have complained about strange sights, always one of two things. A grisly butcher with a noose around his neck, or a group of children dressed in circa 1890s clothing. just staring. staring. staring.

Posted by: Warhawk ()
Date: April 07, 2012 08:31PM

The Civil War graveyard is located along Tapawingo Road at the intersection with Hillside - basically across from the water tower. There used to be a civil war hospital where the 4 houses are located. It finally collapsed in the mid 80's and they razed it. My dad used to take me over to see it when I was little.

I never heard of that crazy butcher story and I lived in Vienna my entire childhood.

Posted by: joeispro ()
Date: April 07, 2012 10:51PM

Henry Waters Wrote:
> joeispro Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Cemetaries, houses, abandened houses, anything
>
>
> theses a cemetary from the 1800s somewhere on town
> of vienna property i forget exactly where, its off
> like a residential street i used to live there but
> theres a civil war graveyard where these three
> kids were eaten in 1893, they say a crazed meat
> butcher was the one who did it. anyways he ate the
> kids and the town found out and hung him, off of
> gallows road. residents since have complained
> about strange sights, always one of two things. A
> grisly butcher with a noose around his neck, or a
> group of children dressed in circa 1890s clothing.
> just staring. staring. staring.

Source please

Posted by: Hysterical Historian ()
Date: April 08, 2012 12:45AM

joeispro Wrote:
> Henry Waters Wrote:
> -----
> > joeispro Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Cemetaries, houses, abandened houses,
> anything
> >
> >
> > theses a cemetary from the 1800s somewhere on
> town
> > of vienna property i forget exactly where, its
> off
> > like a residential street i used to live there
> but
> > theres a civil war graveyard where these three
> > kids were eaten in 1893, they say a crazed meat
> > butcher was the one who did it. anyways he ate
> the
> > kids and the town found out and hung him, off
> of
> > gallows road. residents since have complained
> > about strange sights, always one of two things.
> A
> > grisly butcher with a noose around his neck, or
> a
> > group of children dressed in circa 1890s
> clothing.
> > just staring. staring. staring.
>
>
> Source please

I suspect the source was the poster's ass.

Even though Fairfax County was mostly a rural backwater in the late 18th and early 19th century, something that sensational would have made the newspapers.

For example, the murder of Eva Roy in Burke Station in August of 1918 has several mentions in the Washington Post and at least one in the New York Times. If I go digging through the archives I would imagine I'll find a number of other references.

Fairfax County has a more than generous share of weird shit in its history without somebody making up a half-assed horror movie plot.

Posted by: John S. Mosby ()
Date: April 08, 2012 02:05AM

isn't there a ghost story related to the long standing oak tree on Hunter Mill Road? The one diagnolly across from Oakton library.

Posted by: Fact Checker ()
Date: April 08, 2012 11:58AM

Posted by: BLEH ()
Date: April 10, 2012 01:11PM

BLEH riDe tHe cuE byS thE mEtRo snAkes iN seaT maKinG PeOPle scReam nO ghOsTs BleH bUt snaKes sLidinG arOunD oN thE,flooRs whEn thE buS Stops

Posted by: Freaker ()
Date: April 10, 2012 07:31PM

Ghost of Common Sense Wrote:
> The ghost of Chuck Hoffman's manhood is said to
> haunt this forum...Beware...BEware...BEWARE!!!
Attachments:
d75e0a3c24bd2f25621b7ebe6036242c709.gif

Posted by: Ghost Tours in the Area ()
Date: April 11, 2012 08:44AM

This is outside of what you originally asked for, but here are some ghost tours in Northern VA...

NORTHERN VIRGINIA
http://www.squidoo.com/ghostinvirginia

Ramsay House/Alexandria Visitor's Center, Alexandria, VA
221 King Street @ Fairfax--across from City Hall; (703)838-4200
This is the headquarters of the Alexandria Convention and Visitor's Bureau in Old Town. It is said to be haunted by Alexandria's founder and spirits in 1700s clothing have been seen. They offer Old Town ghost tours Mar.-Nov. at 7:30 & 9 on Fridays & Sats., and @7:30 on Sundays weather permitting. Buy your ticket by 7 for either tour and it starts from the garden. Ages 12 & up: $6, 7-12: $4 and children 6 & under, free

Gadsby's Tavern & Museum, Alexandria, VA
134 & 138 North Royal St.@Cameron St.; (703)838-4242; Tavern: (703)548-1288)
A young woman in 1800s period clothing has been seen at this museum/tavern in Old Town, built in 1770 and 1792 respectively. The Tavern, one of the few remaining 18th century taverns, is open 7 days a week for lunch, brunch & dinner. The museum's general hours are 11-4 Tues-Sat., 1-4 Sun. Museum admission is $4 adults, $2 students 11-17, and free for children under 11 w/a paying adult.

Woodlawn Plantation, Alexandria, VA
9000 Richmond Highway (Off of Rte. 1, near Mt. Vernon); (703)780-4000
This beautiful mansion (completed in 1805) was part of George Washington's Mount Vernon estate and given as a present to his foster daughter. 18th and 19th century ghosts still roam the premises, as well as the spirits of former owners and guests. When a well in the basement is capped, it has been documented that spirit activity there is said to dramatically increase.

Roundtree Park, Falls Church, VA
3220 Annandale Road
This community park is rumored to be haunted by the ghost of a woman with a baby.

Gunston Hall Plantation, Fairfax, VA
Mason Neck, VA, off of Rte. 1; (703)558-9220
Built between 1755-1760 for George Mason--whose ideas were influential in the development of the new U.S. government and other international constitutions--visitors to this 550-acre Georgian estate have seen who is believed to be Mr. Mason in mirrors and footsteps have been heard when there is no one present.
Hours: 9:30 am-5 pm everyday, except Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's Day.

Walney Road, Chantilly, VA
This road is said to be haunted by the ghost of a lost little girl who lost her family in a fire.

Bull Run/Manassas Historic Battlefield, Manassas, VA
Spirits of Civil War soldiers have been seen in this area, inc. crossing Cobblestone Bridge.

Old Town Inn, Manassas, VA
9503 Main Street; (703)368-9191
A spirit named "Miss Lucy" is said to like to play pranks such as turning on faucets, messing up the beds and unplugging appliances. She haunts room 52, but roams from 50-54.

Arlington House/Custis-Lee Mansion & Arlington Cemetery, Arlington, VA
G.W. Parkway@Arlington Cemetery; (703)557-0613
The Custis-Lee family, many of whom were descendants of George Washington, haven't quite left their 19th century mansion on the grounds of the Arlington National Cemetery. You can also hear "Taps" being played in the Garden in the middle of the night.

Potomac Overlook Regional Park, Arlington VA
2845 N. Marcey Road; (703)528-5406
The spirits of Native Americans who used to live in the area can be heard swimming in the Potomac River and still go through the trails here.

Weems-Botts House, Dumfries, VA
300 W. Duke Street; (703)221-3346
A 1974 restoration of this historic house seems to have stirred up some spirits. The beds don't stay made, curtain rods don't stay put, and a Confederate soldier has been seen there.

Historic Occoquan, Occoquan, VA
Off I-95, Exit 160
From a friendly ghost who leaves petals everywhere and rearranges merchandise to one who waits behind the counter at closing time, the section of this historic town (est. 1758) @ Mill & Washington Streets is home to the majority of a large number of spirits.

Cork St. Tavern, Winchester, VA
8 W. Cork Street; (540)667-3777
The east side of this 1830s built Tavern haunted by a couple, who just might be responsible for people slipping around table L-6

Posted by: JennusDemenus ()
Date: April 16, 2012 08:55AM

5 Bed House With Cheap Rent
http://www.yourghoststories.com/real-ghost-story.php?story=5240
By JennusDemenus

Back when I was a young, broke college student, a friend and I thought we had stumbled upon the deal of a lifetime: A huge 5 bedroom house with 2 bathrooms for dirt cheap rent. The house was in a kind of out of the way place in Virginia, but it suited our needs and the rent was unbelievably cheap. Let me preface this by saying that in the Commonwealth of Virginia, there are no disclosure laws in real estate, meaning that the buyer/renter is not entitled to know the history of the house before signing on the dotted line.

Within a month of moving into this house, odd things began happening. The electricity didn't work very well. At first we attributed this to the fact that the house was very old, built in the early 1900's and the most recent re-wiring of the house had been done in the 50's. Also, the main breaker for the house was located outside in a barn that stood about 20 yards from the house itself and was connected by several crude-looking overhead wires. Whenever the breakers tripped (which was at least 4 times a week) we'd have to get the flashlight and go to the barn to flip them back on. The electricity wasn't the only problem. We had an answering machine that never recorded any messages. Sometimes the light would be blinking and when we'd push play, it was nothing but static. This was before DVR and we worked a lot of nights, so we would try to record our shows, but it never worked. Just static and white noise. We also found it odd that pictures never turned out in or around the house. We went though 13 rolls of film before finally giving up.

The first time we realized that we were dealing with more than just bad wiring was approximately 4 weeks after we moved in. As we were heading to the garage (which was only accessible through the door in the kitchen or the heavy old automatic door outside) we came to a dead stop. There was a man standing in our garage! He just stood there and was completely oblivious when we screamed. My friend slammed the door and locked it and called out to the man that we had a gun and were calling the cops. She retrieved the said gun and we opened the door again. The man was gone. Just poof, vanished. As previously stated, there were only 2 ways in - door through kitchen or automatic door outside. The automatic door was very noisy, so we would have heard it open and we had been in the kitchen all morning so there was no way he got in that way. We were baffled, but went about life like normal. That incident seemed to open the floodgates, because after that it really became obvious we were dealing with something not of this world.

We used to hear the sound of a baby crying, followed by the sound of a rocking chair up in the attic. We investigated and found nothing. Certain spots would always remain cold. Cold is not something you come across in Virginia in the summer. Numerous times we woke up to find all the contents of the pantry on the floor. There were dozens of other odd things that happened, but I'm just highlighting some of the more bizarre occurrences.

As things began to escalate, we got more and more nervous. The pinnacle was when we were sitting in the kitchen one evening, playing cards and waiting for some guests to arrive. Naturally, the lights went out, so we went out to trip the breaker. When we came out of the barn, we saw our friend running up the steps of the porch with a baseball bat. When we asked what he was doing, he told us that he saw a man standing in our living room then walk up the stairs! Scared, we crowded behind him and searched the house with the bat and a gun. Nothing!

About 2 weeks after that, my roommates boss asked her why she never returned his call about switching a shift. She said that she hadn't gotten any messages and he proceeded to tell her about the man that answered the phone and told her we were out! Upon further investigation, we discovered that several other people had the same experience when they called! We were thoroughly freaked out by this time, so we decided to ask some of the town's resident's about the house.

We found out that the house was always vacant within 6 months of it being rented out. Although we were scared, we still stayed because of how cheap it was.

One evening, we were in the living room watching TV. When we heard a huge thud against the basement door. When I say thud, I mean the whole wall shook and the door frame came loose. The door was locked, but we were scared and put a chair against it. We could hear growling on the other side and claws on the door, so we again got the gun. We figured at first that a wild animal must have gotten in there, so we went outside to check the entrance. It was bolted shut. We even checked the tiny windows, nothing broken.

We finally went back into the house and opened the basement door. Nothing there! I've never seen claw marks like that before or since. It was as if whatever had done it only had 3 toes! Besides, nothing that was indigenous to the area was 3 toed or could have gotten in there without opening the door or breaking the window! Not to mention, none of the local animals, say a bear, could have exerted that much force to warp a door frame! We moved a week later.

We could never really come up with any idea of what happened in that house or why. To this day, it remains a mystery. And to this day, nobody lives there for more than 6 months before leaving.

Posted by: Crash Test Dummy ()
Date: April 16, 2012 01:55PM

Vienna Community Center

Bigfoot? MOUNT VERNON MONSTER HAUNTS WOODS, WRECKS PEACE
Posted by: Mt. Vernon Monster ()
Date: April 21, 2012 11:29AM

This is not from the Vienna / Oakton area, but I thought I would add it. It's for the Mount Vernon area and its a bit old...

MOUNT VERNON MONSTER HAUNTS WOODS, WRECKS PEACE
by SAM HARTZ
http://web.ncf.ca/bz050/HomePage.virginia.html

ALEXANDRIA, Va. (AP) - George Washington once slept here, but he might find it harder nowadays. A strange something is at large, wailing or screaming nightly a mile from the ancestral home of the Father of His Country.

For nine noisy months, the mystery creature has haunted a patch of woods surrounded by $150,000 homes near Mount Vernon, æèÄKÇáôY2CLqwó»recking the peace and defying spotting and identification.

Local teen-agers have caught its act on tape. It goes something like: "ooahkra-ah," or "eeveakgoo-ah." or even "aaaoohauoa-ah-oo."

The Mount Vernon Monster, some call it. Others, Bigfoot. More guess: hoot owls, loud frogs, a radio with a stuck button, wild boars, a prankster with a bull horn, or the ghost of George washington's pigs.

"One person suggested a peacock". said George Stickman, Fairfax County game warden, who has ruled out bears, bobcats and other fauna found in the vicinity.

The peacock theory may not be too exotic. Experts at the nearby Mason Neck Wildlife Refuge said peafowl are often kept as yard pets in the south One could have flown the coop and fluttered to Mount Vernon.

"They have a loud, penetrating cry, almost like a scream," said John Aldrich, a retired Fish and Wildlife researcher.

Mike Morgan of the National zoo said the birds used to escape frequently when allowed to roam the grounds.

Whatever it may be, the creature is elusive as well as vocal. It has foiled police watches, flyovers by a U.S. Park police helicopter, volunteer youth patrols and the determined efforts of warden Stickman.

"The thing seems to know when you leave the woods. Then it starts to holler," said Stickman, who staged a fruitless overnight vigil to catch the interloper.

Meanwhile, residents continue to discuss the problem at get- togethers, playing tapes and advancing theories.

"Maybe it's a wounded animal or bird with damaged vocal cords," said Maggie Oyer, who thinks the sound it makes is a "low wailing."

One resident, Thelma Crisp, says she spotted the monster. She described it as a creature about six feet tall which lumbered into the woods after being sighted.

Could it be a Bigfoot, trying to reach headquarters of the Fish and Wildlife Service in Washington, 15 miles away?

"If its Bigfoot, and there's proof." said a spokesman, "we'd protect it."

Source: Ashland, Kentucky Daily Independent; Sunday, May 20, 1979

Re: Bigfoot? MOUNT VERNON MONSTER HAUNTS WOODS, WRECKS PEACE
Date: April 21, 2012 11:32AM

Here's another thread on the Mt. Vernon Monster by the way...

Mt. Vernon Monster
http://www.fairfaxunderground.com/forum/read/29/50170.html

Date: April 21, 2012 11:35AM

Some more stuff of sightings of the Mt. Vernon Monster in FFX County decades ago...

The Mount Vernon Monster
http://dapht.blogspot.com/p/mount-vernon-monster.html

Back in 1979 there was a rash of sightings and sound encounters in Fairfax County, VA, in a subdivision called Mount Vernon -- of course, very near our first President's home, from which it takes its name. I heard about this a little later on as I had already moved out of state by then, but it was quite near where I used to live just previously, and my wife lived even closer. In fact, she went to Mount Vernon high school, and several of her friends were witnesses to the strange sounds that emanated from the tract of forest land that their subdivision abutted. Until recently, I thought that only the sounds were heard, but I have now found some sources that tell of actual sightings during that time.

The first is a local historian who gave a talk where he mentions a sighting -- you can see the whole thing here (you have to scroll down a bit, past the part about the lost gold of General Braddock), but here is the relevant portion:

One resident said she spotted the monster. She described it as a creature about six feet tall, which lumbered into the woods after being sighted.
(Note: You can see that he has used the wording of the article I linked up above for much of his talk, so I think most of his information has come from that, but he must have at least one other source because he mentions the sighting, which isn't in the article.)

During an outing with Billy Willard, Tom L. and Billy's brother, we drove out to meet with a fellow named Charlie to do some surveillance at a local sighting location. We didn't find much, except one strange, large bit of scat, which was collected and has been sent for some analysis -- perhaps there'll be more on that later. But I did get a chance to talk to Charlie, who, it turns out, had been a police officer in Fairfax County back during the Mount Vernon Monster saga.

He said he heard about the goings on out in Mount Vernon and wanted to see for himself. He spoke with the game warden at the time and heard from him that there had indeed been sightings of the creature, and that there were families that knew about the creature. The warden also played a recording of it's call for him. (What I wouldn't give to get that recording now!)

Here's a transcription of what Charlie told me (I've edited out some of the salty language for my more squeamish readers):
Anyway, the game warden says, "Hey Charlie, come here, I want you to listen to something," and he plays this recording that's got these screams on it. I said, what the hell is that, I've never heard anything like that before. And he says, "Well, these people on the dead end of Old Mill road report they've seen this bigfoot-type creature." So he says, "I went down there to investigate," and he says, " sure enough, I heard it and I recorded it." So he got his shotgun and went back in the woods and he says he found a footprint, and cast the footprint. He says, "Now Friday night, we're going to put the SWAT team in the woods. I talked to the chief and its alright." And I says, well I'm working down Rt 1 area anyway, give me directions and I'll slide by there.
I get over there about 8pm with my partner, there's people standing around there, and the SWAT team is in the woods. They come out about 8:30 and they're putting their [stuff] in the SWAT van -- they were gonna go eat and, they had borrowed some night vision from Belvior and they were gonna come back and hit the woods again and stay until midnight. They no sooner got out to the van than that thing let out this hellacious scream. I said, "holy [stuff]!" and I ran back to the edge of the woods. And just as I got to the edge of the woods, it screamed a second time. And I could feel the reverberations.. I could feel it in my chest, like if you stand in front of a bass speaker, I could feel it in my chest, and it made every hair on the back of my neck stand up. And I could hear twigs break and branches snapping, and I drew my revolver and I was looking around but I couldn't see anything.
It was right before dark, and [the SWAT team] all grabbed their [stuff] and ran back in the woods and stayed until 10:00 but they never saw anything. I spoke to the game warden later and that was the last anyone ever saw or heard of it. But it came out like it knew, it was like it was saying, "[screw] you!" But the people there were saying, "Leave this thing alone, we feed it, it eats out of our trashcan." The people on the end were leaving pies on their trashcan, and the thing was coming up to the house and looking in the window. That went on for a few months but then it died out after that night. Now I have hunted all my life and I have never heard anything that sounds like that. Even afterward, listening to the recordings on the net, I've never heard anything that sounds like that.

This is a lot of information and it adds quite a bit of detail to the story. I can't thank Charlie enough for telling his story and allowing it to be written out here. The Mount Vernon Monster story was always a "classic" to me, probably because it was so near where I lived, but also because it was news in its day and so many people experienced it. Many of those people are still alive now. I'd love to hear from the witnesses who actually saw the creature.

LATE UPDATE: An anonymous poster added this in a comment:

I was there. I decided to debunk it and went in the woods on Union Farm right off Old mill in a swampy bottom at 2:00 AM and climbed a tree and waited. I had a sigting within thirty minutes, it came trudging though the swamp right at me. It was a full moon and there was no mistaking this thing for a person even though it walked upright on two legs. It got to within 15 yards and then suddenly turned and ran up the hill and hid behind some trees. It must have smelled me or something. Anyway I tracked it for some time and found it was living in a large cement storm drain adjacent to Old Mill Rd.I saw it more than once and actually had it in my sights twice and couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger. This thing didn't really go away for some time, people just stopped calling the police or the news about it. Most decided it was better left alone including me after it decided it wouldn't put up with me anymore. It got agressive and would come directly at me breaking trees as it came imediatley after I entered the woods. It threw rocks at me the size of softballs with enough force that you could hear them whistling as they came through the air. It does eat meat, I found parts of deer tucked up in under cuts along the creek bank where it was nice and cool. Be carefull out there fellas.
Another poster pointed out that the concrete storm drain didn't exist at the time of the events, so there is reason to question this account.
EVEN LATER UPDATE:

Since my last sign in for this story, I've collected a few more reports. Several have been left in comments by the good readers of this blog, for which I thank them. I have also found a reminiscence left on a local bulletin board referenced by one of the posters here, which I'll just put up here for safekeeping. It was posted by a user there on November 25, 2008:

Does anyone remember the Mount Vernon Monster?
True story: In 1979 or 1980 I drove over to a residential area near mount vernon with 3 friends, we parked down past the last house on a street that continued into the woods with a single house at the end. We went to hear the strange screeching animal sound that had been heard by people in the area.
We had been sitting there for about 45 minutes and hadn't heard a thing. We were a bit nervous though, as some of us had been out there before and heard this strange noise. I was sitting in the back seat on the left side.
Suddenly I saw the creature rise up across the street from behind some bushes! The bushes formed a hedge about 6' high and this creature loomed above them. I estimate that its height was around 8'.
I yelled "There it is!", and my friends all turned to look. It looked back at us. Its head was oval shaped and the head, neck and top of the shoulders (all we could see) were covered with smooth, dark hair. Its eyes were dark and glittering. It watched us from behind the bushes.
I said loudly "It's just someone in a ski mask!", loudly enough for the creature (or faker) to hear (the window was open about 6 inches). I was hoping to elicit a reaction if it was someone playing a prank. There was no reaction to my statement.
After a total of around 30 seconds, the creature ducked down behind the hedge and disappeared.
It moved slightly as it stood there, in the way a real animal moves. This was not someone in a suit or some kind of mannequin. It looked something like a large ape, but it stood erect. I'll never forget its face, I can picture it now: oval shaped, somewhat flat, dark hair, shining dark eyes.
I swear I am not making this up.
I returned to the area a couple of times after that and spoke to someone who lived on the street. They said they had seen it before as well. During the same time period there were some news stories on the "Mount Vernon Monster", but I've been unable to find them on the web. Perhaps they could be found in microfilm of newspapers from the time, (probably the Post).
How's that for a weird local incident?
And again, this is a true story.
Does anyone else remember hearing about the "Mount Vernon Monster" in the late 70s or so?
This poster mentions news reports from the time of the events. I've searched online for free access to old newspaper reports, but I've only come across multiple copies of the one we've already mentioned. I can't find other local reports that weren't syndicated. If anyone comes across any, I'd appreciate hearing about it.

In the comments that existed on the old Blogsquatcher site, a few people who were there at the time told their stories. One anonymous commenter posts:

I lived on Gateshead RD from 1968-1986. My mother was best friends with Mrs. Crisp. Among the kids of the day, it was known to be a hoax put on by a MVHS student living on Adrianne DR, at the foot of Dandridge TERR. His house backed to those same woods. His dad had a massive stereo system capable of producing plenty of bass. He made the sounds the people on Union Farm RD would hear at night. It was said he dug in their trash cans too. If you recall the news from that time you only ever heard people on Union Farm RD talking about it. You never heard a word from people on Adrianne DR. Strange, don't you think?
If anyone can corroborate any of the details in that post, I'd appreciate hearing about that too. I'm not all about monsters. If it turns out to be a hoax, let's debunk it.

[UPDATE 2/25/11]

I have collected a few more things that might be worth adding. One is a UFO sighting from the same area just a few years before these events began.

UFO over Mt. Vernon in 1975:

National UFO Reporting Center
Sighting Report
Occurred : 4/20/1975 17:00 (Entered as : 04/20/75 17:00)
Reported: 2/23/1999 00:22
Posted: 3/21/2003
Shape: Oval
Duration:3 minutes
I was about 12 yrs old and saw this oval object hovering, silently, over my home, near Ft. Belvior, VA. It had circles around its diameter and they were brightly lit. The craft was black.
Please see above for description. I dont have much else to tell you. Thank you.
I'm not saying the two are directly related, but I do find that in places where one finds a bigfoot sighting, one also often finds UFO sightings, even if not at the same time. So here it is again.

There are more reminiscences on the Fairfax Underground site, which I think has multiple threads devoted to the Mount Vernon Monster. Here's a link to the one which bears that title. The other thread there is under the title "Weird local incidents you remember." I think you may note there that among those who want to debunk the story, you find something like the construction, "They said it was done by a guy.." Only one debunker claims to actually know the (alleged) hoaxer, which he says was his son.

Re: Mt. Vernon Monster
Posted by: Cannho ()
Date: January 07, 2011 10:59AM
The Mt. Vernon Monster was a couple of kids that had more fun with technology than drugs!! It was in 1979 or '80. A few people with vivid imaginations said the saw the monster. Well there was no such thing, just some very savy Mt. Vernon High boys that put speakers in the trees! One of the boys I am very famaliar with - my son!

I would like to hear from Cannho, or even better, his son, to talk about how the hoax was perpetrated.

Several other posters do not claim that the creature was real, but insist that they do not accept one ordinary explanation, that it was a fox. I like this one:

Posted by: Mt. Vernon Resident ()
Date: June 19, 2010 11:41PM
Yeah right, if you ever heard it, you would know its not a fox. Foxes dont make a noise like that, being from the country, I know what a fox sounds like and that was no fox the nights I witnessed the sound from the Mt. Vernon Monster in the early 1980's

And I like this one because of its description of the neighborhood reaction:

Posted by: MVHS 84 too ()
Date: August 11, 2010 08:21PM
I lived in Southwood then. I heard it one night while babysitting for a neighbor whose house backed to those woods. Every house along the woods turned on the lights in their back yards.

Also, I have found, and purchased, a Washington Post article from May 12, 1979 called "The Mount Vernon Monster -- Police, Residents Intensify Hunt for Howling Haunt," written by Blaine Harden. This is a different article from that linked above. Believe it or not, it was front page news:

Since it is behind a pay wall I'll just give a few facts from the article here:

According to the article, the events in question had been ongoing for nine months at the time of writing, which puts their onset at about September of 1978.
Many people are named in the article, including witness Thelma Crisp (who is also briefly quoted), "Search Supervisor" Captain Jack Coleman, and Game Warden Ralph Strickland.
The article references "infrared cameras" and a helicopter, along with a large police presence in the woods. Though "SWAT team" doesn't show up, the article provides a fair bit of corroboration to Charlie's account above.

I have the article in my files and may quote from it at a later time.

COMMENTS FROM THE ORIGINAL BLOGSQUATCHER POST:

Here I will add the comments that came into the Blogsquatcher and also any that come in from here on out.

That was a very good update. So this was apparently witnessed(heard) and documented by a police dept as well as the S.W.A.T. ?
Would like to see this on America's Most Wanted!
Wheellug
Posted by Anonymous to The Blogsquatcher at January 13, 2009 2:10 PM

That's what Charlie said. At least two police officers (counting Charlie's partner, whom he mentions) and the SWAT team. They never saw anything, only heard it.
I'd love for some of the original witnesses from that area to come forward. I do know some who heard the creature, but they were at a distance from the sighting location, so they never saw anything.
Posted by dbd to The Blogsquatcher at January 13, 2009 10:15 PM

Great report DB. It makes you wonder just how many times have police/military been involved in sightings or even a brief search. Good stuff,maybe with a little luck,some of the original witnesses will come forward.
Posted by In Search Of to The Blogsquatcher at January 14, 2009 4:06 AM

I was there. I decided to debunk it and went in the woods on Union Farm right off Old mill in a sampy bottom at 2:00 AM and climbed a tree and waited. I had a sigting within thirty minutes, it came trudging though the swamp right at me.It was a full moon and there was no mistaking this thing for a person even though it walked upright on two legs. It got to within 15 yards and then suddenly turned and ran up the hill and hid behind some trees. It must have smelled me or something. Anyway I tracked it for some time and found it was living in a large cement storm drain adjacent to Old Mill Rd.I saw it more than once and actually had it in my sights twice and couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger. This thing didn't really go away for some time, people just stopped calling the police or the news about it. Most decided it was better left alone including me after it decided it wouldn't put up with me anymore. It got agressive and would come directly at me breaking trees as it came imediatley after I entered the woods. It threw rocks at me the size of softballs with enough force that you could hear them whistling as they came through the air. It does eat meat, I found parts of deer tucked up in under cuts along the creek bank where it was nice and cool. Be carefull out there fellas.
Posted by Anonymous to The Blogsquatcher at January 19, 2009 6:04 PM

My father is a retied Police officer. In 1979 he was with the Fairfax County Police.
He told my bother and I all about the Mount Vernon Monster and all the weird calls he was sent out on. Reading this brought back some really good memories of my Dad.
Posted by Anonymous to The Blogsquatcher at February 19, 2009 11:32 PM

I was one of those teenagers in the late 70's who heard the Mt. Vernon monster. I actually had a tape recording of it but my little sister taped over it. Yes, down an unpaved road leading to Union Farm we parked our cars late at night and quietly waited. Dogs would start barking nearby and sure enough we then heard the howl of the Mt. Vernon Monster.
I also have a friend who saw the creature not far from the back gate of Mt. Vernon, off Old Mt. Vernon Road near the Potomac River one snowy day. She was nearly 200 yards away and at first glance thought it was a man walking towards the woods. She quickly realized it was not. She described it as large and hairy. Standing upright but hunched over slightly. I wish I could find her now to get a better account. I have been telling my son of the Mt. Vernon Monster since he was about 6 years old. He is now 9 and we have gone to Union Farm Rd. around dusk. He gets a little anxious and doesn't want to hang around. He is a believer though and tells the story to his friends who remain a bit skeptical. Happy to hear of others who remember him and will keep history alive.
Posted by Anonymous to The Blogsquatcher at July 25, 2009 7:44 AM

I lived on Gateshead RD from 1968-1986. My mother was best friends with Mrs. Crisp. Among the kids of the day, it was known to be a hoax put on by a MVHS student living on Adrianne DR, at the foot of Dandridge TERR. His house backed to those same woods. His dad had a massive stereo system capable of producing plenty of bass. He made the sounds the people on Union Farm RD would hear at night. It was said he dug in their trash cans too. If you recall the news from that time you only ever heard people on Union Farm RD talking about it. You never heard a word from people on Adrianne DR. Strange, don't you think?
Posted by Anonymous to The Blogsquatcher at September 4, 2009 10:49 PM

I'm looking into it now with a friend that lived on Dandridge.
My son and I just saw a Bigfoot show on the Travel Channel tonight and it made me Google "Mt. Vernon Monster" to show him. I came across your thread and one on www.fairfaxunderground.com. It's interesting that someone there mentioned a fox. Around that time, my neighbor's dad saw a large fox on the edge of the same woods, but on our side of Old Mill RD. It had a strange, strangled barking sound. I'd heard it at night myself, but never saw the fox. I never heard the Mt. Vernon Monster, that I can recall. Back then, I searched the woods between Adrianne and Union Farm with friends a number of times and never found a thing.
By the way, that Anon is pulling your leg. Back then, there was no "large cement storm drain adjacent to Old Mill Rd". If there was, that road would not have flooded over with every large summer storm we had.
Posted by Anonymous to The Blogsquatcher at September 5, 2009 1:05 AM

I heard the Mt Vernon Monster on numerous occasions and saw it twice. I was friends of the Crisp's and spent many a night in their yard waiting to hear it yell. The Crisp's house backed up to the woods, on serveral occasiions there were muddy hand prints on the basement sliding glass door, too large for a man, you could see from the print that the hand was covered with hair.
The yell was like nothing I had heard or have heard since. I have hunted most of my life and no animal I know of makes a noise like that. Your heart would vibrate in your chest from the intensity of the yell.
I took a girl I was seeing at the time down there and spent the evening talking to the Crisps sitting in the front yard, about midnight we decided to go home, stood up, turned to go to my car I apologized for her not hearing or seeing it, it yelled we looked up the street and it was walking across the neighbors front yard. It was atleast 7 feet tall, covered with hair, long arms, a hugh gate. It walked upright, it looked like a bigfoot. I can tell you that neighborhood hated the stories and wanted nothing to do with the press, they were afraid it would affect the value of their homes and draw an unwanted element to the road. The second time I saw it we were standing on the road talking, it yelled from down near the end of the road we all turned to look and it was walking across the road toward the golf course, it looked at us and ran on the golf course and back into the woods. My family thought I was crazy, my close friends all heard it and knew about.
Posted by Anonymous to The Blogsquatcher at October 16, 2009 10:04 AM

When Boo was close, Mrs. Crisp called it/him Boo, the smell was swampy smell mixed with skunk. His head was larger than a normal mans head somewhat elongated hard to tell because of the hair, he had a sweeping gate almost like he stepped up off the ground and walked on air, he didn’t actually do that, but the smoothness of his walk looked that way. Color was dark brown, but not black. He/it loved apple pies, McDonald’s apple pies, we would leave them out behind the house, well above the ground so dogs and other animals couldn’t get to them, the pies were always gone. We put them in the trash cans as well, the lid would still be on the pies would be gone. Was never close enough to see facial features. I will keep thinking about this.
From an email to dbdonlon. Name withheld by request.

I grew up on the edge of the George Mason University campus in Fairfax. They owned the woods all in the area and left it undeveloped. I admit that in the early 70s when movies like "Legend of Boggy Creek" and other Bigfoot documentaries came out, there was a rush of people telling stories about it being in those woods. Being a kid and very interested in Bigfoot, I spent an entire summer staking out the Pohick Creek that ran through those woods, thinking Bigfoot, if he existed there, would eat from the streams--lots of fish and crayfish at the time. I spent lots and lots of hours sitting and listening, using binoculars, and even leaving out food with hopes he'd show. Literally, an entire summer. Still, people told stories of seeing him out there. In all that time, I saw many deer, several foxes, a porcupine, a few skunks, and a lot of potheads from the campus smoking pot along the pathways. No Bigfoot, but if you put it in the context of those times, I bet all woods had a huge surge of Bigfoot sightings following "Legend of Boggy Creek." It might be worth checking out the year it came out and seeing if reports spiked then.
Posted by Autumnforest to The Blogsquatcher at October 27, 2009 11:35 PM

You said: "I'm pretty darn puzzled as to how any kind of bigfoot-like creature can have gotten into the suburbs within a few miles of Washington DC."
Hiding in plain sight seems to be one of Squatchy's special talents, so don't be too puzzled by his suburban propinquity. As long as there is a contiguous forested or meadowed area leading down into a riparian zone it doesn't really matter how many homes are nearby or how built up the aea may be. Most folks would be truly flabergasted if they were told the truth about Squatchy's haunts.
Dudlow
Posted by Anonymous to The Blogsquatcher at October 29, 2009 5:34 PM

along the same lines as the comment above, i'm not at all surprised that these sightings happen so far into civilization. I live in Washington State, and just this year we had a sensational black bear incident. A black bear managed to get from just north of downtown Seattle almost all the way up to Everett, which is over 20 miles north. it was seen by a lot of people because that entire stretch of land is city/suburban residential areas. almost no one was able to capture a picture of the bear, and for a while i thought it was just some kids pulling an epic prank. they did end up catching the bear in a park, but the bigger question was how the bear got into North Seattle in the first place? I guess the bear traveled the train lines north from the first sighting, but no one really explained how it got from the mountains to Seattle unnoticed? if a huge black bear can travel through suburban and city areas unphotographed and hardly seen, why not bigfoot? From what little we know about them, bigfoot (bigfeet? bigfoots? what's the proper plural here?) seem to have a fairly high intelligence level. i believe they come closer to our "civilized" communities more often than we realize. that would explain why they're so good at avoiding us, imo.
Posted by Anonymous to The Blogsquatcher at November 16, 2009 8:06 PM

I'm really glad that I found this blog. I used to go there every week to listen for the "monster". I remember reading about it in the Alexandria Gazette when I was about 15 or so (79'). The 1st time I ever went to investigate the monster was with my friend Jay. That was in 83'. we have heard it several times but have never seen it. The scariest moment of my life was down there one evening. About 5 other friends & I were sitting on the small bridge just at the gate to the Old Union Farm house. We were playing 20 questions to pass the time. I kept hearing some tapping on the trees like a big stick or something. The third time I heard it I told my buddies that it was the 3rd time I heard that sound. Just then it yelled. We all took off running for the car which was parked in front of that last house on the left. It was about a 30 yard sprint & the worst part was that we had to run right by the monster to get to the car. The thing was about 15 feet away from us when it yelled & at the point when we were running by it it was about 8 or so feet away. I have never been that scared in my life, or even since then. A couple of the guys we were with were skeptics up until that night but not anymore. I have been there several times & there have been times when we have heard or seen nothing. I would estimate that our ratio of hearing the monster was about 70%. One evening I was there with another friend who didn't believe & some rocks were thrown at us as we stood next to the car. We saw vapor from breath as well right on the edge of the treeline along the golf course. We chucked some rocks at where the breathing was & they came back at us within seconds. Actually there is a storm drain in the woods as well. I've gone back there in the daytime & have seen it. I had a theory that he was living in that drain as well because every time we heard him it was either raining or just after a rain & I figured he was flushed out of his spot. I am still friends with some of the guys that would go down there to listen to the monster & I will ring them up & get them to check out this blog. One is an Arlington County Sheriff (Capt) who was with me the most. One evening he & I were down there with our dates & we went into the woods to investigate but didn't hear anything. We went back to the car & the police came down to see what we were doing. There were 3 police cars & my buddy told the officer we were there to listen for the monster. The officer kind of giggled & said he didn't believe in it but that his partner did. Just after he said that the monster yelled and the officer almost freaked out. He drew his gun & told us to get out of there. All 3 police cars went racing down into the old plantation driveway with their spotlights on in every direction. We left immediately. That was the 1st time I ever heard it yell & the last time I ever went into those woods again after dark. I've told my wife about it & she is not a believer. I've been out in the woods my entire life as a Boy Scout, hunting etc... & I have never heard anything like that yell before. It is truly monsterous like nothing you have ever heard. No owl, fox, deer or anything can scream like that. I used to have a recording of it screaming but after so many years & moving a few times I wouldn't have a clue as to where it is. In any event, I am just glad that this website is here & I will continue to check it out periodically for nostalgia. Thank you.
Posted by Anonymous to The Blogsquatcher at December 14, 2009 11:09 PM

I can verify "Anonymous's" account that this was a hoax by teenagers of the day involving a stereo. Also a car battery, and a slowed down recording of a scream and several Mt. Vernon HS students, not going to name names....but I could
Posted by Anonymous to The Blogsquatcher at March 17, 2010 6:32 PM

Anonymous, I really can't get past the fact that I have people who tell me that they saw the creature, and they share with me their names and addresses, answering my questions, and giving names of other people who were there. And then I get two anonymous guys on the internet who want to debunk it by giving the vaguest of explanations, without anything to back it up. I mean, why on earth wouldn't you just tell who did it, and when and where and all that? Do you you actually think there's, like, a LAW against playing animal sounds on your stereo in the woods? If there were, every bigfoot researcher would be locked up.
Posted by dbd to The Blogsquatcher at March 17, 2010 7:34 PM

sorry to sas-squash your story....but, I know who did it and I know the tape recorder and speakers and car battery used....I heard the tape, it was a slowed down scream. There were 5 or 6 MVHS students involved (I'm directly related to one of them) It's been a big joke with them ever since. Seriously....its a hoax.
Posted by Anonymous to The Blogsquatcher at March 17, 2010 9:48 PM

And you are unwilling to say who was involved because..?
Posted by dbd to The Blogsquatcher at March 17, 2010 9:51 PM

.....becasue they dont want anyone to know it was them....it really is that simple. Sorry. One is currently Fairfax Co. Law enforcement. Others have moved to the west coast. Others, we have lost touch with.
Posted by Anonymous to The Blogsquatcher at March 18, 2010 4:50 AM

It was not a hoax, I saw them many times, and heard them many many more. There were 3 to my count, and I researched them and was interested in them from about 78 to 83. Later I went out of State. I usually used the Crisp house as my base of operations to tape or try to film. I hiked day and night many times. I have many tapes from over those years. The only animal that has an even remotely similar sound is the Howler Monkey, which could not survive those winters, has a very particular diet, does not leave that large of footprint and is not 6 to 7 feet tall. I was one of the local youths alluded to in the original article.
Posted by Anonymous to The Blogsquatcher at March 31, 2010 1:37 PM

Oh, and by the way, those who say it was a hoax are not telling the truth as in the Winter of 1981/82 when I spent cold nights in the Barn behind the Crisp house with a recorder, movie camera, and light set up-locking myself in and sleeping in the loft, what I briefly saw that night, heard clearly, and threw a very heavy log against the barn and did not come into my light and bait area when I turned on the lights, were not MVHS students with a car battery. All the nights I spent chasing these things, I would have caught them in a heartbeat, and known them, since I had gone to MVHS.
Posted by Anonymous to The Blogsquatcher at March 31, 2010 1:48 PM

And I guess we could compare tapes if someone is not afraid to, meaning they are not lying.
Posted by Anonymous to The Blogsquatcher at March 31, 2010 1:49 PM

Anonymous, can I get a copy of what you recorded to analyze? I think there are things on the recording that might help us to prove something one day. Please contact me by email at the address in the upper right corner of this blog if you are willing. Your anonymity is assured.
The same goes for those who claim it was a hoax. Contact me and let me know who you are and how you did it. I'll keep you anonymous if that's what you want.
Posted by DB Donlon to The Blogsquatcher at March 31, 2010 1:52 PM

I will try to make a copy of my cassette, old technology, and then get with you. I will not give the original tape to anyone. Re, I did this for years, and in the summer and in winter breaks, every night. Anyone think the hoaxsters were that committed? Maybe someone some nights or so played some games,early on, but not for years, and every night for months on end during those years. If I copy, I will recontact you after I check out the blog. And anyone from MVHS during 75-79 knows who I am and that I have the capability of checking folks out. ( : Also, I was there the night the police were going into the woods with the dogs, I was at the Crisp house. There were many representatives from private Wildlife agencies, etc., too. What they said publicly was not what they said privately. And the peacock thing is funny, if you heard my tapes. They sound like 6 to 7 foot Howler monkeys, sometimes, but much much more powerful.
Posted by Anonymous to The Blogsquatcher at March 31, 2010 2:09 PM

Thanks, and I can respect your wanting to hold onto the tapes. If you run into trouble getting them digitized, I have a project studio in my home and I would be very happy to help you. What you have is an important historical document in my mind, so getting it digitized seems important to me in any case.
Let me know if I can help you in any way.
Posted by DB Donlon to The Blogsquatcher at March 31, 2010 2:15 PM

Hi DB. This is awesome! I am the poster from Dec 17th 2009. Finally someone else who can validate what I've heard & encountered. I also moved away from the area in 1985 & my research ended then as well on the Mt. Vernon Monster. It was no hoax & like the poster above mentioned......Nobody could sustain a hoax for so long...every night?.....of every week?....I would have caught them as well. I've spoken with a few law enforcement officers familiar with the case & just like the poster above mentioned.....what they say publicly is totally different from what they saw privately. I took my tapes to a friends father who worked for the Wildlife federation & he was totally intrigued with them. He took them to his work & gave them back to me a few months later. He was told that they were inconclusive.....but this was back in 1984 mind you & technology has advanced since then. I would love to meet the anonymous poster who researched this. I am totally excited about this now that he has posted this new information. Mrs. Crisp used to feed these creatures for goodness sakes.....what motive would she have to lie about it? I do believe she has since passed away. I believe she was in her late 60's way back then. I didn't personally know her though. Thank you for the new info. Take care, Steve
Posted by Anonymous to The Blogsquatcher at April 11, 2010 12:52 PM
Attachments:
Screen shot 2011-02-25 at 9_47_50 PM.png

Posted by: no haints ()
Date: April 21, 2012 11:52AM

Attachments:
bsflag.gif

Vienna Moose Lodge
Posted by: Moose Member ()
Date: April 21, 2012 12:19PM

When the Lodge shuts down for the night, Ghost Bikers come in and have their party; so I've been told. However, NOT all ghost stories are true UNTIL you actually have a personal experience with one.

I've only heard foot steps and doors opening and shutting.

Ghost Believer

Re: Vienna Moose Lodge
Posted by: Question Man ()
Date: April 21, 2012 12:32PM

Moose Member Wrote:
> When the Lodge shuts down for the night, Ghost
> Bikers come in and have their party; so I've been
> told. However, NOT all ghost stories are true
> UNTIL you actually have a personal experience with
> one.
>
> I've only heard foot steps and doors opening and
> shutting.
>
> Ghost Believer

The Mount Vernon Lodge?

Ghost bike at Fairfax crash site
Posted by: Ghost Biker ()
Date: April 21, 2012 12:33PM

Ghost bike at Fairfax crash site
Friday, May 28, 2010
http://fabb-bikes.blogspot.com/2010/05/ghost-bike-at-fairfax-crash-site.html

According to DC Indymedia a white ghost bike has appeared at the site of the fatal bike crash at the corner of Forum Dr and Lee Hwy/Rt 29 just south of the Fairfax County Government Center, where 18-year old Abdelouahid "Abdul" Chadli was killed. A ghost bike "is a bicycle set up in a place where a cyclist has been hurt or killed by a motor vehicle, as a roadside memorial."

Several items have already been placed at the site as you can see in the background of the photo. When I stopped by there on Tuesday a small crowd was gathered and we've heard there have been people visiting the site daily.

On Sunday members of the Fairfax High School wrestling team gathered at the site to mourn Chadli's death.
Attachments:
bike_1.jpg

Posted by: Burke Ghosties ()
Date: April 22, 2012 04:40AM

Here's a few I found for Burke...

A Few Burke Ghosties:
http://burke.patch.com/articles/ghosts-of-burke-ghostly-bears-and-the-real-bunny-man

According to stories passed through the Internet, a woman named Eva was murdered in the early 1900s. She is supposedly buried in Lee Chapel Cemetery and citizens have reportedly seen her ghost around.

Nearby, Hidden Pond Park is reportedly haunted. A figure of women is said to glide over the water and come in with a mist and look up at people. She is in period clothing and according to some even followed them a short distance.

Another story at Hidden Pond Park is a bit light-hearted. According to witnesses, the park is said to be haunted by a bear named Old Casey. The bear walks on all fours and grunts at people, then vanishes.

­
Posted by: chuckhoffmann ()
Date: April 22, 2012 05:47AM

­

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2013 07:13AM by chuckhoffmann.

Posted by: Burke Ghosties ()
Date: April 22, 2012 05:52AM

chuckhoffmann Wrote:
> The woman named Eva mentioned in this story is
> likely Eva Roy, a 14-year-old child who was raped,
> strangled, and tied to a tree near what was then
> called Burke Station on August 6, 1918.

Chuck, do you have any more information?

­
Posted by: chuckhoffmann ()
Date: April 22, 2012 06:40AM

­

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2013 07:08AM by chuckhoffmann.

Re: Ghost bike at Fairfax crash site
Posted by: Supperghost ()
Date: April 22, 2012 10:24AM

Ghost Biker Wrote:
> Ghost bike at Fairfax crash site
> Friday, May 28, 2010
> http://fabb-bikes.blogspot.com/2010/05/ghost-bike-
> at-fairfax-crash-site.html
>
> According to DC Indymedia a white ghost bike has
> appeared at the site of the fatal bike crash at
> the corner of Forum Dr and Lee Hwy/Rt 29 just
> south of the Fairfax County Government Center,
> where 18-year old Abdelouahid "Abdul" Chadli was
> killed. A ghost bike "is a bicycle set up in a
> place where a cyclist has been hurt or killed by a
> motor vehicle, as a roadside memorial."
>
> Several items have already been placed at the site
> as you can see in the background of the photo.
> When I stopped by there on Tuesday a small crowd
> was gathered and we've heard there have been
> people visiting the site daily.
>
> On Sunday members of the Fairfax High School
> wrestling team gathered at the site to mourn
> Chadli's death.

I haven't seen a new roadside memorial for a long time. There used to be a bunch of them in the greater Herndon-Sterling area. New tougher standards for erecting memorials?

http://www.virginiadot.org/business/resources/NOVA_FairfaxPermits/FairfaxPermits_RoadsideMemorialGuidelines.pdf

Posted by: The Virginia Giant ()
Date: April 22, 2012 12:08PM

The 'Virginia Giant'
http://www.yiink.com/aliens-news/aliens-ghosts-monsters-the-'virginia-giant'/

The case of the "Virginia Giant" remains unresolved, despite careful checking on many points in the account by NICAP investigators.

Called one of the most interesting cases he has ever worked on by one of the investigators, the story of the "Virginia Giant" is actually a nickname for a pair of sightings, one of them involving an occupant, which occurred in late May 1971 outside a small rural Virginia community located near Fredericksburg.

According to investigators John Carlson and Bruce Maccabee, who until recently were still gathering data about the alleged sightings, the case was hampered by the very attitude that made this "occupant" case such an interesting one — the family's strong desire to avoid publicity — a characteristic not always present in cases involving an "occupant."

It was a dark, cloudy night that three boys and a German Shepherd had picked to camp out in a nearby field. Two of the youths had decided to investigate the sound of a car horn heard in the distance while the third youth and his dog "Lucky" decided to stay behind.

Walking through the large, open field, the third boy noted that he had a strange feeling that something was behind him. He turned but saw nothing. Moments later he turned again and observed a glowing "thing" over a pond located in the open field.

The object moved slowly from its position over the pond and moved towards the youth, finally stopping near the youth, and slowly settled to the ground. Before completing its descent, the object, according to the youth, extended "legs" from its underside.

After the craft landed, a door opened straight down toward him and a "man" walked out. According to the witness's description, the creature was "powerfully huge," had long arms and was shiny in appearance. In one hand it carried a "glowing box."

The creature looked around, then started moving in the youth's direction, who by this time was crouching in the tall grass. The witness's dog allegedly snarled at the "occupant" and began to approach it. The creature turned around in a "stiff, bouncing fashion" and returned to his craft. The door of the craft closed and about ten minutes later the craft "just lifted off."

The witness was found a few minutes later still crouched in the grass and apparently in shock by his two fellow campers. The witness told his companions of his encounter and all three quickly returned to their homes.

Two nights later another sighting occurred in the same vicinity. While the second sighting did not involve an occupant, it did add credence to the first sighting, according to the investigators, because of the large number of witnesses and the similarities in description of the UFO.

Two sisters of the youth who reported the "occupant" were returning home from a night class along the family's long, winding driveway when they became aware of a humming sound and red lights apparently coming from above their car.

Almost immediately, according to NICAP's file on the case, the car's engine stalled, the headlights went out, and the car radio went off. From inside the car the girls said they could see a disc-shaped, glowing white object hovering approximately 50 feet above their tree-lined driveway. After about five minutes the girls were able to start the car and race the remaining few yards towards home — as they did, the craft continued to follow them.

Attracted outside by the sounds of a car racing up the driveway, two brothers rushed outside to investigate and observed a "gigantic saucer-shaped thing" following their sister's car up the driveway. The object followed the car up to the house and continued to hover above it for a few minutes before finally drifting off and out of sight over the horizon. - NICAP (1971)

NOTE: the detailed personal accounts of Bobby Calvert, Mike Smith, and Johnny Tisdaly (the 2nd sighting) are included in I Saw It Too!: Real UFO Sightings...Lon
Attachments:
vagiant1.JPG

Posted by: Calamityville Horror ()
Date: April 22, 2012 12:15PM

Mothman Statue
Point Pleasant, West Virginia
http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/12036

West Virginia has played host to two famous monsters, both within a span of a dozen years. In 1955, a 12-foot-tall space creature landed in a flying saucer and terrified the town of Flatwoods. And in 1966-67, a monster nicknamed "Mothman" performed a similar frightfest on the citizens of Point Pleasant.

But today, the Flatwoods monster -- it never got a name -- is almost invisible on the vacation landscape. All that the town of Flatwoods offers are some monster replicas for sale ($25) in the gas station next to the Shoney's.

In contrast, Point Pleasant is keenly attuned to the needs of the modern monster tourist. It has a very cool Mothman statue. It has a Mothman museum. It sells lots of Mothman merchandise.

Why the difference? Mothman was made into a Hollywood movie in 2001 and thus is more than a monster -- he's a celebrity.

Mothman arrived in Point Pleasant in November 1966 in classic style, scaring couples in parked cars and eating farmers' dogs. He was described as seven feet tall with a barrel chest and a piercing shriek. His most memorable features were his ten-foot batlike wings and his huge, red, glowing eyes. And unlike the Flatwoods monster, Mothman didn't spook and run. He hung around for over a year, building an impressive roster of over 100 fear-struck locals who claimed to have encountered him. Fortean researcher John Keel heard the stories and came to Point Pleasant to see what was happening. He compiled what he found in a 1975 book, The Mothman Prophecies, which was later turned into that 2001 Richard Gere film.

Some people thought that Mothman was a mutant, spawned from local chemical and weapons dumps. Some thought that he was the "the curse of Chief Cornstalk," a Shawnee leader who had been treacherously murdered in Point Pleasant in 1777, and who had finally gotten around to exacting his revenge.

Things got ugly on December 15, 1967, when the Silver Bridge, which connected Point Pleasant to neighboring Kanauga, Ohio, suddenly collapsed into the Ohio River, killing 46 people trapped in rush-hour traffic. Some claimed that the catastrophe was triggered by a sonic boom from Mothman's wings. Others believed that Mothman had been sent to warn the people of Point Pleasant, although his message was obviously lost in translation. Whatever the connection may have been, Mothman disappeared after the bridge fell down. Maybe he simply felt that Point Pleasant had had enough.

Mothman remained an obscure bogeyman until 2001. Then the movie based on John Keel's book, The Mothman Prophecies, came out, and the town realized that this was its one chance to make something good out of its monster. On the day that the film opened, West Virginia's secretary of state announced that Point Pleasant's old KFC would be converted into a Mothman visitors' center, and that a 20-foot-tall Mothman sculpture would be commissioned.

Things didn't turn out quite that grand. In 2002, Point Pleasant held its first Mothman Festival. In 2003, Gunn Park was renamed Mothman Park, and a 12-foot-tall stainless steel sculpture of Mothman was unveiled. It is a unique civic monument, an over-the-top effigy that you'd expect see on the handle of a Barbarian collectibles knife, not on a downtown street in West Virginia. Its football-size red eyes were meant to be lit from behind at night, but sponsorship funding came up a little short.

In 2005 the Mothman Museum and Research Center opened across the street from the statue, run by monster booster Jeff Wamsley. It's a small place, only open on weekend afternoons, but it does display some of the props from the film, and it sells an assortment of Mothman souvenirs. Weekday visitors with an urge for Mothmanabilia can walk a block south to the Harris Steak House, which has its own assortment of t-shirts, books, DVDs, Christmas ornaments, Beany Babies (unofficial), comic books, and license plates for sale.

Even Chief Cornstalk has a memorial in Point Pleasant. A four-ton stone obelisk, marked simply "Cornstalk," stands in Point Pleasant Battlefield State Park down by the river. The Chief's surviving remains -- three teeth and a few bone fragments -- are sealed in the center of the obelisk, perhaps to ensure that his curse is safely locked away.

The only people who don't have much to feel happy about in Point Pleasant are the victims of the Silver Bridge collapse. They have a memorial, too, at the spot where the bridge once entered the town. But their names are inscribed on lowly bricks, and you have to step on them to read the bronze plaque that lists only the names of the town's politicians.
Attachments:
WVPOImothman04.jpg
WVPOImothman07.jpg
WVPOImothman13.jpg

Posted by: Flint Hill Cemetary in Oakton ()
Date: April 23, 2012 03:06AM

My mother once told me of a story of how she and her cousins would walk to school back in the mid 40's through Oakton and would cut through Flinthill Cemetary to save time. One day they were cutting through the cemetary, and they were frightened by a white male that mostly naked and wearing only ripped up clothes (like a shirt or something). The took off running and their parents called the cops. Turns out it was an escaped mental patient that was hiding out in Flint Hill Cemetary from the authorities. As if the cemetary wasn't creepy enough by itself, now some escaped mental patient was hiding there. Well the authorites came and got him, and took him back to whatever institution he had escaped from. Since then my mother and her cousins avoided the cemetary.

Posted by: Josh1 ()
Date: May 05, 2012 08:15AM

My mother worked at a property manager at a apartment complex on Appalachian drive, and this story was told by residents that lived there since it was built. When the first apartment building was built in the 70's, people started moving in really quickly and in the corner apartment a man killed himself in the back room of his apartment by hanging himself on the side of the door. Since then there have been reports of people seeing strange things like a man walking up and down the hallway in a white blooded shirt. Also, the heating has never worked right since and maintenance workers have gone in and replaced it many times, but warm air never gets blown through the vents. A few months ago there was a shooting in that same apartment, apparently the person that went there went crazy and killed his wife and ran but was later arrested.

Posted by: Gosnell Road Experience ()
Date: May 11, 2012 03:19AM

My ex and I used to have an apartment in Vienna on gosnell road right in the heart of tyson's corner. We'd always believed in ghosts or spirits or whatever you wish to Call them. Small things would happen a lot like the light from one of our floor lamps would start going dim when I approached it but would return to Normal as I moved further away.

I always tried to use logic and debunk whatever I could. However one night when we were lying in bed we both heard a crash. It sounded like glass breaking. It was loud enough to make both of us sit up immediately.
Neither
of us asked if the other heard the noise because the look on our faces was enough proof that we had. The sound was so loud that I swore someone had just broken in so I told her to stay in the bedroom while I went to Check it out.

I checked the entire place. No windows were broken. Our back door (we were on the ground level) was a sliding glass door and it was normal. Locked and intact. I checked the kitchen to see if a glass had fallen.

Nothing there either. I got her up and told her to look around to see if she could find any broken glass anywhere. We searched for about 30 minutes and neither of us found anything. To this Day we still have no explanation.

Posted by: Ghost of Samantha Bloom ()
Date: May 11, 2012 03:24AM

The Tyson's Ghost is the story of Samantha Bloom, the daughter of Herbert Bloom, a widower and successful landowner in the hills of Virginia near the area that would later be known as Tyson's Corner. His original 800-acre estate, Sam-Cimmeron, was named after his only daughter Samantha who spent her childhood doing what she loved most, riding her father’s famous thoroughbred quarter horses.

As time went by, Tyson's Corner continued to develop and portions of the estate were purchased by wealthy businessmen who were bent on making the busy intersection the city of the future but Herbert Bloom vowed he would never sell Sam-Cimmeron. He promised to leave it to his daughter "Sam," but when the stock market crashed in 1929, he was forced to sell parcels of the main estate until there was only 4 acres left. When Mr. Bloom died in 1933, Samantha was forced to sell the remaining two horses to pay the tax, but she still refused to sell Sam-Cimmeron.

On October 13th 1934, a group of businessmen visited Samantha and, realizing that years of taxed were due, offered to pay her one tenth of what the land was worth. Later that night, Sam-Cimmeron burned to the ground in a mysterious fire, and Samantha was never seen again. Some people say she started the fire herself, and could be heard laughing while the flames engulfed her however, her body was never found. The only thing recovered from the remains of Sam-Cimmeron was the hallway clock, which was frozen at 2:55am.

Today, Tyson's Corner is one of Virginia's busiest intersections. There are corporations and shopping malls covering every piece of land ...except one. On the corner of Tyson's Run and Park Road, there lies a small corner of dense woods that developers have avoided. It seems that every time they have tried to clear the land, there have been numerous misfortunes and industrial accidents that have resulted in several injuries and one death. This small patch of woods is the original site of Sam-Cimmeron. People say it's haunted and some say that every year on October 13th at 2:55am the ghost of Samantha appears.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=c07f7498-424c-4819-a538-bc22f2d15e26

Posted by: Suzanne Z ()
Date: August 14, 2012 09:56PM

My son and his friend have spotted a ghost on Hunter Mill Road between Vale Road and going up the hill towards the Oakton shopping center direction. Around midnite - 2 a.m. She is dressed in period clothing (likely Civil War era), a long grey dress with a ruffle, a knit sweater, little black belted shoe/boots, hair in a bun. When you see her, a complete feeling of dread will overcome you. They reported her to the police. The Fairfax police have seen her & have had the same feeling. Do not honk at her - do not keep driving by, she will get closer to you (change sides of the road, etc.). The police have searched the area & have not found her. She does not look homeless, but has a look of complete 'lifelessness' to her.

The Mount Vernon Monster (Bigfoot?)
Posted by: The Mount Vernon Monster ()
Date: October 28, 2012 09:50AM

The Mount Vernon Monster (Bigfoot?)
http://timetravel21.blogspot.com/2011/06/mount-vernon-monster-bigfoot.html

On May 12, 1979, the front page of The Washington Post carried an article entitled,“The Mount Vernon Monster.” For nine months, in 1978 and 1979, a strange creature wailed and screamed nightly in the woods just a mile from historic Mount Vernon. Some people called it “The Mount Vernon Monster”, others “Bigfoot”. Whatever the creature may have been, it was elusive, frustrating capture attempts by the police, flyovers by a U.S. Park police helicopter, searches by volunteer youth patrols, and the determined efforts of the Fairfax County game warden to track it down. And thus an urban legend was born.

The story made its’ way into oral history projects, which are now being cited by monster hunters as historical authentication of the creature’s existence, “…one of the game wardens, said ‘The thing seems to know when you leave the woods, then it starts to holler.’ One resident said she spotted the monster. She described it as a creature about six feet tall, which lumbered into the woods after being sighted.”

The howling stopped as abruptly as it began, but the story lives on.

Watch the video here...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tl4CvyL7Djs&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBKdz9uVCNU&feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBOZP5YyiMc&feature=relmfu
Attachments:
120945158.jpg

Return of the "Mount Vernon Monster" - See picture of the monster!
Posted by: The Mount Vernon Monster ()
Date: October 28, 2012 09:51AM

Return of the "Mount Vernon Monster"
Submitted by shamrock_on on Sun, 2010-02-21 21:42
Mount Vernon Post
Sunday, February 21, 2009
A 1979 Kentucky New Era article by Sam Hartz tells the story of nine months of strange, chilling sounds coming from the woods near Mount Vernon and the adjacent neighborhood. Former Fairfax County police officer Charlie ______ reported that residents of Old Mill Road, which dead ends at the Estate's west gate, had seen a tall, dark and not-so-handsome creature prowling near their homes.

One of the more unsettling parts of the article came from an interview with George Stickman, the Fairfax County game warden at the time. He had this to say of the beast: "The thing seems to know when you leave the woods. Then it starts to holler."

Apparently the creature either learned to quit screaming so much or police decided to start ignoring residents' complaints. The Fairfax County Police Department declined to comment on the grounds that they could not legally disclose any reports having to do with "that thing." Other professional opinions range from, "It died," to, "Who cares?"

"It's possible that it may have suffered a bout of infectious mononucleosis during that time," says Frank Irzyk, a doctor at Inova Mount Vernon Hospital who is a self-taught expert of the unknown and mysterious.

A week ago, guests at the Estate's annual Winter Wine Festival and Sunset Tour on February 14 reported hearing bizarre screaming and shrieking sounds while on the property.

New and strange developments in the Mount Vernon Forest neighborhood have led other residents to think that the Mount Vernon Monster has returned yet again, this time to potentially eat their children (or maybe just to leave huge unidentifiable footprints). Raccoon-proofed garbage cans have somehow been opened by what appears to be considerable brute force. Dogs refuse to walk past the trees that line Mount Vernon Estate's brick wall.

Aside from these peculiar events, physical evidence of a strange creature has been found near Mount Vernon's property. A group of tourists who pulled off the road to have a look at the famous view of the mansion from the west gate found a hunk of longish dark hair caught in the fence. They claim to be sending the sample to the Army forensics lab in Atlanta, Georgia; well known for its extensive library of DNA and hair fiber samples.

One resident told Mount Vernon Post that he found more than mysterious hair.

"I was out walking early in the morning and took my usual route past the West Gate," says Mike O’Meara, who lives on Volunteer Drive not far from the west gate of Mount Vernon. "I always bring my camera with me because sometimes you can see deer out in the field in front of the Estate. This time, I saw something else lumbering into the trees."

O'Meara provided us with a photograph (found at the bottom of this article), taken with an old camera from his college years, apologizing for the poor quality.

When questioned about the creature, employees at the Estate reported that several young sheep have recently gone missing from the herd that occasionally grazes in sight of the west gate. The Mount Vernon Ladies' Association (the non-profit historic preservation organization that runs the Estate) did not seem too concerned about the missing sheep.

"We know what lives on our property," says a spokeswoman from the Association. "If there was a monster, we would know it."

Once the Ladies see this photograph, they may have to rethink their certainty. This thing is certainly no deer.
Attachments:
mountvernonmonster.png

Posted by: haunted house ()
Date: October 28, 2012 10:12AM

Not so many spooks in Vienna, even less in Oakton.

Posted by: Dan Ackroyd ()
Date: October 28, 2012 10:40AM

"Not so many spooks in Vienna, even less in Oakton"

that seems to be changing. Say how come you see them alone and not with a female or kids when they go shopping?

Haunted house that rarely gets mentioned anymore off Roberts Road in Fairfax City. Look for Aspen Willow road just past some outbuildings for George Mason University. Go thru the development and you will come upon a large old house. I seem to recall in the olden days before that housing development was built there was a story going around that the house was haunted.

Re: Return of the "Mount Vernon Monster" - See picture of the monster!
Posted by: PoPo ()
Date: October 28, 2012 12:44PM

The Mount Vernon Monster Wrote:
> Return of the "Mount Vernon Monster"
> Submitted by shamrock_on on Sun, 2010-02-21 21:42
>
> Mount Vernon Post
> Sunday, February 21, 2009
> A 1979 Kentucky New Era article by Sam Hartz tells
> the story of nine months of strange, chilling
> sounds coming from the woods near Mount Vernon and
> the adjacent neighborhood. Former Fairfax County
> police officer Charlie ______ reported that
> residents of Old Mill Road, which dead ends at the
> Estate's west gate, had seen a tall, dark and
> not-so-handsome creature prowling near their
> homes.
>
> One of the more unsettling parts of the article
> came from an interview with George Stickman, the
> Fairfax County game warden at the time. He had
> this to say of the beast: "The thing seems to know
> when you leave the woods. Then it starts to
> holler."
>
> Apparently the creature either learned to quit
> screaming so much or police decided to start
> ignoring residents' complaints. The Fairfax County
> Police Department declined to comment on the
> grounds that they could not legally disclose any
> reports having to do with "that thing." Other
> professional opinions range from, "It died," to,
> "Who cares?"
>
> "It's possible that it may have suffered a bout of
> infectious mononucleosis during that time," says
> Frank Irzyk, a doctor at Inova Mount Vernon
> Hospital who is a self-taught expert of the
> unknown and mysterious.
>
> A week ago, guests at the Estate's annual Winter
> Wine Festival and Sunset Tour on February 14
> reported hearing bizarre screaming and shrieking
> sounds while on the property.
>
> New and strange developments in the Mount Vernon
> Forest neighborhood have led other residents to
> think that the Mount Vernon Monster has returned
> yet again, this time to potentially eat their
> children (or maybe just to leave huge
> unidentifiable footprints). Raccoon-proofed
> garbage cans have somehow been opened by what
> appears to be considerable brute force. Dogs
> refuse to walk past the trees that line Mount
> Vernon Estate's brick wall.
>
> Aside from these peculiar events, physical
> evidence of a strange creature has been found near
> Mount Vernon's property. A group of tourists who
> pulled off the road to have a look at the famous
> view of the mansion from the west gate found a
> hunk of longish dark hair caught in the fence.
> They claim to be sending the sample to the Army
> forensics lab in Atlanta, Georgia; well known for
> its extensive library of DNA and hair fiber
> samples.
>
> One resident told Mount Vernon Post that he found
> more than mysterious hair.
>
> "I was out walking early in the morning and took
> my usual route past the West Gate," says Mike
> O’Meara, who lives on Volunteer Drive not far
> from the west gate of Mount Vernon. "I always
> bring my camera with me because sometimes you can
> see deer out in the field in front of the Estate.
> This time, I saw something else lumbering into the
> trees."
>
> O'Meara provided us with a photograph (found at
> the bottom of this article), taken with an old
> camera from his college years, apologizing for the
> poor quality.
>
> When questioned about the creature, employees at
> the Estate reported that several young sheep have
> recently gone missing from the herd that
> occasionally grazes in sight of the west gate. The
> Mount Vernon Ladies' Association (the non-profit
> historic preservation organization that runs the
> Estate) did not seem too concerned about the
> missing sheep.
>
> "We know what lives on our property," says a
> spokeswoman from the Association. "If there was a
> monster, we would know it."
>
> Once the Ladies see this photograph, they may have
> to rethink their certainty. This thing is
> certainly no deer.
Attachments:
6713216cc72662727f5f41edb82435c7.jpg

Re: The Mount Vernon Monster (Bigfoot?)
Posted by: Bigfoot Claus ()
Date: July 01, 2013 09:00PM

There is no Santa Claus. Or Bigfoot. Or Bigfoot Claus.
Attachments:
06-16-bigfoot-2_full_600.jpg

Morning commuter sees tall biped at close range
Posted by: Monster Quest ()
Date: September 05, 2013 12:19PM

Morning commuter sees tall biped at close range near Middletown
http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=40959

OBSERVED: It was about 5:30 in the morning and I was driving to work. About 20 feet in front of me I saw a massive (at least 8 foot tall and very broad in the chest) creature walking across the road. It was covered in hair, walking on two legs and crossed the road in two steps and walked into the woods. I stopped my truck to see if I could hear anything in the woods, but did not.

Follow-up investigation report by BFRO Investigator D.K.:

After an extensive conversation with the witness, his encounter can be summarized as follows:

-His encounter occurred on Reliance Road, as he traveled east toward Front Royal, at a point about 1 1/2 miles before the road's end at Route 522.

-The time was approximately 5:30 a.m., about 45 minutes after dawn break, and less than an hour before sunrise. The witness was driving about 30 miles per hour and his head lights illuminated the creature.

-When it stepped out in front of his vehicle it was moving quickly, and crossed the road in just two steps. At his closest approach, the creature was within 15 to 20 feet of the front of his vehicle.

-It stood erect, not slouched forward, and was swinging its arms as it walked. It did not turn to look at the witness or his vehicle.

-The creature was covered all over in hair, dark brown to black in appearance and no facial features could be seen. It was broad through the chest and the witness observed that it "was very tall", estimating its height at 8 feet.

-It crossed the road from an open field on the left, and disappeared into a stand of woods on the right (south side) of the road. The witness stopped his vehicle to further observe the creature, but it was out of sight into the woods.

This area of Virginia does not have a large number of sightings, but the expansive countryside and relatively low density housing provides ample space for a sasquatch to move through and take advantage of the abundant local resources.
Attachments:
swampmonster.png

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.