HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Looking for a park...
Posted by: Dignan17 ()
Date: August 31, 2013 09:39PM

I'm hoping someone can help me find a place I remember from my youth.

Back in the late 80's/early 90's there was a public pool that I went to as part of a summer camp. I don't remember much about the pool, but there was one distinctive feature that I think should make it unique among other pools in the area: there was a train outside.

All I remember was that in addition to a snack bar, just outside the gates there was also a mini-train (on tracks) that you could get on and ride around a small wooded area.

Perhaps this place doesn't exist anymore. Perhaps I'm just not good at my Google searches. But if anyone knows where/what this place was/is, I'd love to know!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Looking for a park...
Posted by: RoadApples ()
Date: August 31, 2013 09:51PM

Possibly the park near Reston off Rte. 7 and Rte 606.

Posted by: WilliamRobert ()
Date: August 31, 2013 10:05PM

Is it lake fairfax?

Posted by: you're welcome ()
Date: August 31, 2013 10:18PM

Burke Lake
Attachments:
6160878788_030b672117_z.jpg

Posted by: Crosspointe Resident ()
Date: August 31, 2013 10:36PM

you're welcome Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Burke Lake

I don't think there is or was a pool at Burke Lake.

Posted by: Ye Ole Woodson Man ()
Date: August 31, 2013 10:57PM

It might be Lee District Park in the Franconia area of Fairfax County. Theres a huge 50 meter indoor pool and there was a popular small train ride there for a long time that predated the pool. The trains gone as well as the snack bar, However the pool is as good as ever with a new outside childrens play park pool, and the Lee Rec center has a huge indoor gym, excellent weight room amoung other things. The Pool is now closed for cleaning till Sept 9th I think call first to see if there open. the park, gym is open.

Posted by: Dignan17 ()
Date: September 01, 2013 12:26AM

Thanks for the responses!

Yeah, if there wasn't a pool at Burke Lake park then I don't think that's it.

I'm looking at Lake Fairfax, but I don't see mention of a pool there other than a kiddie wading pool.

As for Lee District Park, I guess that could be it since you say there used to be a small train ride there, but I know that when I visited the pool I'm thinking of, it wasn't an indoor pool. Definitely outdoor...

Sorry folks, I wish I could remember more. At least the general area where it was located...

Posted by: x6ujD ()
Date: September 01, 2013 11:52AM

Could have it been wheaton park on GA Ave in MD? It's only like 45 min. from here...

http://www.yelp.com/biz/wheaton-regional-park-wheaton

Posted by: Lake Fairfax ()
Date: September 01, 2013 06:48PM

It's to to be Lake Fairfax. It has a large pool, and the train, and several groups use it for summer camp purposes.

When I was a kid in the early 70s, we used to swim in the lake. We would only go to the pool area to buy candy/sodas at the concession stand. I remember once buying that candy where you get a sugar spoon, and three different pouches of colored/flavored sugar to dip into (sounds nasty, but as a kid, it was great).

Posted by: Bull Run ()
Date: September 01, 2013 06:49PM

Bull Run?

Posted by: beenhere ()
Date: September 01, 2013 07:26PM

How about Cabin John park over in Monkey County. I don't remember a pool, but it did have a train and about the best playground I remember going to as a kind, about 1970 or so.

Posted by: bhfoster ()
Date: September 01, 2013 08:05PM

Def IS Lake Fairfax. nr Reston

Posted by: Fairfax Bob ()
Date: September 01, 2013 09:24PM

Lake Fairfax. They used to have a big pool and a train. Lots of camping areas too.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.