HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
good places to work? suggestions?
Posted by: chantilly ()
Date: December 08, 2008 07:36PM

I am a college student and I am looking to work at a place for this winter break and then again in the summer. I want a job that'll keep my busy throughout the day but will not be hard and boring with a boss thats not a dickhead because he will eventually be working for me... so give me suggestions?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: good places to work? suggestions?
Posted by: Bob ()
Date: December 09, 2008 02:16AM

Try a front desk job at a hotel.

The bigger corporate-owned hotels like to hire college graduates, but the smaller hotels hire just about anyone even though they both pay the same wages.

Residence Inns, Comfort Inns, Westpark Hotel, etc, those are good places to work.

Other than that, if you are ambitious, you can try to get a paid internship downtown. Your school should be able to help you with that, but you'll make more money working as a front desk clerk. Or a Bank Teller, or something like that.

If you work at the front desk of a tourist hotel, you'll end up making more money from selling tickets to All About Town and all the other bus tours of DC. I worked at a hotel during college breaks where I was getting about $9 an hour (in the late 80's and early 90's) but would go home with anywhere between 60 and 150 bucks from calling in reservations for bus tours of DC. THe way it works is the bus tour companies let you take 50% of the ticket price, and then the bus companies would take the other 50% when the party boarded the bus.

It was all cash. So if I was working full time, I would be making around $20k a year as a front-desk clerk, but would be taking home up to $150 cash every night, tax-free, and was making up to another $37,000 or so off the books.

In a summer, you can make some good $$. Even over the winter break, you can still go back to school with 5 or 6 thousand, easily.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2008 02:32AM by Bob.

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: December 09, 2008 03:10AM

let's be clear: it's not tax-free, it's tax evasion if you don't declare ANY income.

Posted by: tumi ()
Date: December 09, 2008 05:01AM

RESton Peace Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> let's be clear: it's not tax-free, it's tax
> evasion if you don't declare ANY income.

What a clown you are.

Posted by: Junes ()
Date: December 09, 2008 08:20AM

Have you considered an intern program with a major corporation? The pay isn't great but you WILL be kept busy, it will give you experience in your Major field and set you up with great contacts and references when you're ready to go full time.

The college should have a list of corporations participating in the program. If they aren't able to help you, Monster and Career Builder list Intern Programs.

Good luck!

Posted by: 496 ()
Date: December 09, 2008 08:31AM

" I want a job that'll keep my busy throughout the day but will not be hard and boring with a boss thats not a dickhead because he will eventually be working for me"

Typical college student. I wouldn't hire you to empty my trash.

Posted by: Junes ()
Date: December 09, 2008 09:10AM

496 Wrote:
> " I want a job that'll keep my busy throughout the
> day but will not be hard and boring with a boss
> thats not a dickhead because he will eventually be
> working for me"
>
> Typical college student. I wouldn't hire you to
> empty my trash.

Since when is it "typical college student" rhetoric to want to be part of a productive work group doing a job that is challengeing?

496, please don't use yourself as an example. Based on your response, you sound more like the type who works hard at finding ways to get out of doing work.

Given a choice between you and Chantilly, I would hire Chantilly first time, every time.

Posted by: 496 ()
Date: December 09, 2008 10:13AM

Junes, Eat a dick.

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: December 09, 2008 10:22AM

496 Wrote:
> Junes, Eat a dick.

+1

Gotta love it when these fucking jerkoffs appear out of nowhere and suddenly presume to instruct us on "the way things are".

Posted by: formerhick76 ()
Date: December 09, 2008 11:53AM

Chantilly, I'm fairly sure you weren't trying to come off as 'spoiled and entitled.' Then again, statements like the boss 'will be working for you' don't give me much confidence.

However, in most jobs that you can work over breaks, there's a task that needs to be done, and your job is to do it, for between 8 and 12 bucks an hour, to show up on time, and not complain about working conditions. If working conditions are that bad, either quit or notify the appropriate state agency.

Posted by: chantilly ()
Date: December 09, 2008 10:19PM

I said the dickhead part merely to see what the people who always make sarcastic comments on this site Ex. 496. What i really meant to say was I want a job that'll give me stuff to do all day and not wait till I finish one task to give me another task. I'm not spoiled by any means, I'm just too smart to be bossed around by someone who thinks just because I'ma college student that I will be irresponsible and be a slacker.

Posted by: Bob ()
Date: December 10, 2008 01:24AM

chantilly Wrote:
> I said the dickhead part merely to see what the
> people who always make sarcastic comments on this
> site Ex. 496. What i really meant to say was I
> want a job that'll give me stuff to do all day and
> not wait till I finish one task to give me another
> task. I'm not spoiled by any means, I'm just too
> smart to be bossed around by someone who thinks
> just because I'ma college student that I will be
> irresponsible and be a slacker.

Don't worry. I've had many interns working for me over the years who thought they were hot-shit because they were in college.

I had one dipshit who kept asking me if I could get him a meeting with Knight Kiplinger because the little squirt thought he was going to revolutionize an 80+ year old company with his amazing ideas that had nothing to do with the internet and a little bit with things we were already pursuing.

I finally went to my boss and said the intern was a real headache, he was supposed to be copying some old text from a mainframe he could log into via telnet and pasting it into our CMS so it could be sold online, but he kept bugging me about meeting with the President. He even showed me his "business plan" which would have been impressive as far as the structure of a business plan, but failed miserably in knowledge, foresight and any grasp for reality.

My boss finally said "don't worry, I'll get that kid a meeting with Knight."

Two weeks later, I lost my intern, and we hired some high school kid to do the job he was supposed to complete.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2008 01:33AM by Bob.

Posted by: When will it end ()
Date: December 10, 2008 03:56AM

Chantilly,
If your looking for something where its for the summer, with flexible hours, and your basically on your own, meaning no boss to bother you and you dont mind retail with the starting pay around $10.50 hr I would try Home Depot. If you dont feel like dealing with customers during the day then they also have a night crew that goes in to restock during the night. They are always seeking seasonal help.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.