HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Fairfax or Loudoun
Posted by: nyynym25 ()
Date: December 08, 2008 06:17PM

Hello, I just sold my house in Charlotte, NC and is moving to DC area. I am a former resident of Greenbriar.(left in '04) I was just wondering, If I should look in Chantilly for a 500-750k home, or would I be better off looking in Loudoun? Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fairfax or Loudoun
Posted by: Thomas More ()
Date: December 08, 2008 06:18PM

Got kids? Go to Loudoun. Smaller high schools. Lower prices per square foot for the house.

Posted by: Thomas' English Muffins ()
Date: December 08, 2008 06:22PM

I agree with Thom McCann above.

Date: December 08, 2008 06:23PM

Thomas More Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Got kids? Go to Loudoun. Smaller high schools.
> Lower prices per square foot for the house.

Is the commute time form Leesburg that much different than Chantilly to around 495-50 area?

Posted by: Tommy Boy ()
Date: December 08, 2008 06:27PM

No, due to easier access to the Toll Rd., the commute is actually shorter. You'll pay about $1000 a year, but time saved is worth money spent. The Rt. 28 north commute is ususally a parking lot.

Posted by: formerhick76 ()
Date: December 08, 2008 09:53PM

28 North is going to get better - they are building interchanges at Frying Pan Road and Willard,

not sure about what's going in north of the toll road. OTOH, they don't seem to be doing much about I-66/28 which is another cluster!@#$.

What I figured when I was going in from Westfields to Crystal City is to turn left onto 28 North from Willard. I was going at speed until between the Air Space exit and Frying Pan (I'd sit there for 1-4 cycles depending on how bad the day was going.)

The schools in Loudoun are excellent as are the ones in Fairfax.

Posted by: Radiophile ()
Date: December 08, 2008 10:23PM

Real estate is about future value. if you can swing 500 to 750 move to Mclean. 20 years from now you will be rewarded big time. Thouse houses are goldmines.

Posted by: spunky ()
Date: December 09, 2008 01:51AM

How's Charlotte? Property value declined alot? Where's the best area to be now instead of Mathews?

Posted by: Bob ()
Date: December 09, 2008 02:52AM

Radiophile Wrote:
> Real estate is about future value. if you can
> swing 500 to 750 move to Mclean. 20 years from now
> you will be rewarded big time. Thouse houses are
> goldmines.

But you can only buy townhouses for 500 - 750 in Mclean, unless you buy houses up along Westmoreland, and those houses are ripe for "tear-down" sales in the next 5 or 6 years.

To own a single family home in McLean, I think the average is about a million.

McLean still offers the best commute times, whether you work in Downtown DC or even in Reston or Chantilly. DC is only a 10 or 15 minute commute, and the western job centers might only be about 20 to 30 minutes away. Everywhere else, you're looking at 30 to 60 minute commutes unless you work in the same town or area that you live in.

But the schools in Loudon are not that great. Even in the early 90's, they had a big problem with the "Yo! MTV Raps!" kids who believed that being a product of divorce or single monthers meant they needed to join a "gang" and get into selling and smoking crack. Even as far away as Purcelville had a problem with middle class kids pretending to be OG gangstas and lots of them even had guns and acted like idiots.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2008 02:54AM by Bob.

Date: December 09, 2008 06:21AM

spunky Wrote:
> How's Charlotte? Property value declined alot?
> Where's the best area to be now instead of
> Mathews?

I'm actually in Matthews right now,and values are down a lot. All the bankers that are losing their jobs are selling their big, new, fancy houses for nothing.

Posted by: Radiophile ()
Date: December 09, 2008 06:24AM

Checking Remax.com, I found 28 single family homes in McLean priced between $500,000 and $700,000

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.