HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Edison Football
Posted by: Frank O. Neeya ()
Date: November 30, 2013 10:12AM

EDISON Football

I followed Edison for many years and always supported the programs as a life-long Franconian. In 2010 I moved out West to be close to my grandkids. The Franconia area really out grew me many years ago. I loved the area but do not like what it has become. My kids graduated in the 70’s.

There are Four distinctions or four versions of Edison Football:

1963 – 1968 AAA Alexandria District

1969 – 1985 AAA Gunston District

1986 – 1992 Remained in the Gunston District but was considered AAA – Division II because of enrollment being lower compared to the big AAA schools. This allowed Edison to have a chance at the playoffs without winning the Gunston District.

1993 and beyond. Edison is now a new Division 5 school with the new classification in VHSL and all playoff/titles won by AAA – Division II schools are considered division 5. That is why Edison is listed as a Football state champion for Division 5 for 1986 even though division 5 did not exist yet.

In recent years the 2006 team has been the best and went the farthest. Coach Lewis sated that this team really overachieved and was a great TEAM with maybe not as much individual talent as other years. I remember the QB being really good.

The Football Team in 1965 (Pat Toomay was QB) won the Alexandria District Title. That was a good team. I cannot remember the Head coach’s name but Jerry Neufang and Monroe Parker were assistant coaches and they remained at Edison for many years after that. This was a good year but the Alexandria District did not have as many teams as the future Gunston District.

If you go back to the Gunston District days you have to give credit where credit is due. Edison only won the Gunston District once! It was 1970 and the head coach was Blaine Morton. That should be considered the best team in Edison History.

The 1981 team should also be considered here. If they had won or at least tied Fort Hunt on the last game of the season they would have been District Champions. Coach Baughn decided to go for two and a win instead of kicking an extra point for a tie. The Eagles did not make the two point conversion. They lost that game by one point and lost the District championship on that one play. No other team in Edison’s Gunston District era came close to a Gunston District Crown.

Most seasons Edison did not have a winning record. In 1960’s, 1970’s or the early 1980’s. The 1965 and 1970 team had a winning records and I think the 1981 team ended up 5 – 5? All other Edison Football teams up until 1986 did not have a winning record.

The 86 State Champion Team should be thankful and pay homage for the foundation built be the early 80’s teams! The 1986 Team was 0 – 3 – 1 in the Gunston District and only made the playoffs because of the new AAA Division II (the future Division 5). I cannot imagine how many region and state titles Edison would have if Division 5 (AAA Div 2) existed before 1986! That is something that we will never know but it would have been great for those hard hitting and hard working Edison teams in the 70’s and early 80’s.

To give the 86 team credit they did have a winning record of 5 – 4 – 1 and defeated TC Williams for the first time in school history. Mount Vernon beat Edison 10 – 0 and West Potomac beat Edison 25 – 6. The Hayfield game that year was really a costly coach’s decision on Homecoming. Edison was winning 14 – 0 in the 4th quarter and he put in the second string to let everyone play. Coach Lewis called off the dogs too soon. Hayfield scored on Edison’s second string defense and by the time he put the starters in the momentum and changed and Hayfield scored again. Hayfield celebrated like they had a victory because Edison was really a better team. Lee beat Edison 7 – 6 and it was a complete meltdown. Seven turnovers and it was on TV. The 1986 State Champions was a good team and their best player was their punter named Jerry Jackson. He was the only member of that team to make ALL-MET and ALL-REGION and ALL-STATE. His punts all year and especially in the playoffs allowed Edison to dominate field position and really helped win games. He was also a Safety and Running Back.

I kept a playoff program from the 1986 team and here is their record:
Falls Church win 3 – 0
JEB Stuart win 13 – 0
Oakton loss 6 - 28 (Remember Coach Gibb’s son was their QB)
West Springfield win 22 – 10
TC Williams win 7 – 6
Lee loss 6 – 7
Mt Vernon loss 0 – 10
Hayfield tie 14 – 14
West Potomac loss 25 – 6
Jefferson win 16 – 0
Playoffs:
Wakefield win 30 - 6
JEB Stuart win 16-12 Region Championship
Potomac win 14-7 (OT)
Warwick win (7-6) State Championship

Here are the Best Teams and Players I have seen at Edison over the years. My children graduated in the 70’s so I really do not know the player’s names like I used to and I moved away before the 2010 season.

Top 6 Teams in Edison History (just my opinion):
1. 1970 Gunston District Champs
2. 1965 Alexandria District Champs
3. 1981 lost district championship with a failed 2 point conversion
4. 1986 State Champions
5. 2006 State Runner -Up
6. 2008 Undefeated until Region Championship (12-1)

The following list is also just my opinion and my memory may not be very accurate.
Correct me if I misspell any names or get the graduating year incorrect

Top 20 Football Players in Edison History :

1. Pat Toomay - 66
2. Andre Alston - 79
3. Jim Davie – 82
4. Tony Burroughs - 84
5. Jerry Jackson – 87
6. Stephon ? – 2008
7. Curt Chesley - 66
8. QB from 2006 team - 07
9. Scott Szymanski - 83
10. Steve Sealock -83
11. Mark Bondurant - 80
12. Eric Barton - 96
13. Mike Florence - 78
14. Vince Kelly – 77
15. Robbie Young - 81
16. Dan Peyton - 88
17. Mark Vincenees – 79
18. Mike Gallahan – 85
19. ? Wood – mid70’s?
20. Ron Truitt – 73

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Edison Football
Posted by: ol timer ()
Date: November 30, 2013 10:21AM

Good stuff.

Whatever became of Jerry Jackson?

Pat Toomay played QB?

Wasn't he a lineman for the Cowboys? Was he All-American or anything like that in high school?

Posted by: Eagle Fan ()
Date: November 30, 2013 01:07PM

What about Sherman Deck (88)?

Date: November 30, 2013 04:14PM

1. Yes Pat Toomay was QB at Edison and played Defense in college at Vandy. Also a good basketball player. My cousin has a book he wrote about his days with the Cowboys and he mentions Edison.

2. You are correct about Deck. Please excuse my memory it is not what it used to be. Great running back but cannot remember if he played defense? Pretty sure he actually got carries as a freshman which never happened at Edison. His junior year was the state championship. He played Fullback and Tailback. Ended up being a great coach also. It was always nice seeing former Edison players come back and help coach.

Lets go ahead and place Sherman Deck somewhere around number 15. So the list is now the 21 top players. Let us know more names that I forgot and need to be added. We can eventually make it the top 50.

Date: November 30, 2013 04:16PM

Not sure what happened to Jerry Jackson. Been a long time ago. He also played some Basketball and Soccer for Edison.

Posted by: eric barton ()
Date: November 30, 2013 04:53PM

Hey, I think I should rank higher than 12 on the top 20 list.

I played in the NFL for eleven years. (Raiders, Jets, and Browns)

Posted by: football observer ()
Date: November 30, 2013 06:19PM

> 6. Stephon ? – 2008

Stephon Robertson. Two-time CAA defensive player of the year at JMU and has a decent shot at playing the NFL.

> 8. QB from 2006 team - 07

Shawn Lloyd.

No room for Ben Barber?

Date: November 30, 2013 06:39PM

I have to admit I did not follow the teams that close after Coach Lewis left the first time. It was around 1990. When he returned and put together some good teams I would try to go to home games and the playoffs. There has to be several players I left off. Let me back track and say the list is not in any particular order. I hope you all can help provide the names I have left off. This is just a fun post that I wanted to get out there before my memory gets worse. To any player who I forgot or left off my apologies and no offense was intended. One more thing to Eric Barton, you are correct and should be higher but like I just said the list is no longer in any specific order. This will help decrease any chance of a debate.

So in addition to my original list we have added two more players (remember not in any order but we will number them just to keep up with the total number of players listed).
21. Sherman Deck
22. Ben Barber

Who else needs to be added?

Posted by: EHS89 ()
Date: November 30, 2013 11:11PM

Lewis actually left after the 1987 season and Bruce Evans took over and the team was terrible.

Deck graduated in 88 because he played on the 1987 team that started the year ranked #25 in the Washington Post. They beat Fairfax in the season opener when Deck went for close to a 50 yard TD run late in the 4th quarter to win a pretty tight contest, but they were just so-so the rest of the year.

He wasn't a "superstar" but Greg Redden (Class of 89) started as a sophomore on the offensive line for the 86 Championship team and also his junior and senior years. He was an all-star wrestler as well.

Man...just thinking about those awful Edison teams after Lewis left. I remember the first year the VHSL put in the overtime rules in 1988, Edison played West Springfield in the opening game of the season at home. The West Springfield tied the game late with under a minute to go and I remember being excited to see the new rules play out. (each team one possession, ball at the 10, etc).

But Evans didn't know the rule, so he was trying to win the game late. First play he calls a pass to the outside, the Spartan DB picked it off and took it to the house for the game winning TD and all of us in the stands couldn't believe what happened. After the game, when people asked why he didn't just take a knee and go to overtime he said "I didn't know they had overtime". It was horrible. Awful coach.

Date: November 30, 2013 11:48PM

23. Greg Redden

Thanks for your post. I remember Redden and yes he was also a great wrestler.

Posted by: i remember ()
Date: December 01, 2013 05:05AM

still remember '86 like it was yesterday...

state semi-final vs Potomac- won in ot. still remember getting home from the game and finding out player from Potomac had passed away...

then the following Wed or so before the title game- part of the vocational wing caught on fire... nasty day outside- wasn't fun at all waiting outside...

then the title game was at WT Woodwon... The field was awful- basically a mud pit.

and yes- Evans after Lewis came in and he was horrible.

Posted by: EHS89 ()
Date: December 01, 2013 08:56AM

The bizarre circumstance of the Potomac player dying (Charles Cole) during the 86 state semi's is the next year at Edison, a Stuart player (John Avila) suffered a major brain injury during the game. I remember them taking him off the sidelines in the 2nd half and everyone flashing back to the Potomac game thinking "not again".

Avila didn't die that night, but ended up in a coma for over a decade before he passed away in 1999. With all the consussion talk around football these days, I'm always reminded of Avila and wonder if that's what happened to him that night in September of 87. They never really figured out what happened to him during the game.

Posted by: Where's the Eagle" ()
Date: December 01, 2013 10:32AM

ol timer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Good stuff.
>
> Whatever became of Jerry Jackson?
>
> Pat Toomay played QB?
>
> Wasn't he a lineman for the Cowboys? Was he
> All-American or anything like that in high school?

Monroe(Pappy)Parker.
Pat Toomay's book was made into the movie "Any Given Sunday"

Posted by: edison alum ()
Date: December 01, 2013 11:24AM

QB Dennis(?) Randolph, maybe? Not necessarily a great QB, but he did break several records.

Posted by: A Fan ()
Date: December 01, 2013 12:48PM

How could forget Cedrick Bryant. In 2000 as a senior he was first team all Met with over 2000 yards and 28 TDs on the ground

Posted by: A Fan ()
Date: December 01, 2013 12:52PM

And I almost forgot. Randolph started as a freshman because his Dad was head coach. Coach Randolph was horrible at Edison, went to South Lakes and was horrible there too. Only this year at TC did they get to the playoffs. He's horrible there too.

Posted by: EDDY SON SUX ()
Date: December 01, 2013 12:54PM

Who gives a flying f--- about Edison football?

Date: December 01, 2013 03:39PM

21. Sherman Deck 88
22. Ben Barber ?
23. Greg Redden 89
24. Cedric Bryant 01
25. Dennis Randolph ?

Who else should be on the list?

Pat Toomay wrote a fictional book that was made into the movie. He wrote a different book that was nonfiction about his time with the Cowboys and a few other teams in the NFL.

Posted by: BananaFace ()
Date: December 02, 2013 03:01PM

football observer Wrote:
> > 6. Stephon ? – 2008
>
> Stephon Robertson. Two-time CAA defensive player
> of the year at JMU and has a decent shot at
> playing the NFL.
>

Stephon was just named as a finalist for the Dudley award, which goes to the best D1 player in the state of Va

http://hamptonroads.com/2013/12/odus-heinicke-techs-thomas-jmus-robertson-are-dudley-finalists

Posted by: Left Back ()
Date: December 17, 2013 02:12PM

Heard EHS footbal Coach Parker OUT and will be replaced by Sherman Deck? Rumor or True - anyone know?

Posted by: deck loves dick ()
Date: December 17, 2013 02:48PM

If Deck coaches good luck, he is all mouth and dumb as a rock. I am not even sure he graduated on time from Edison, maybe left back a year.

He spends his day chasing kids skipping school like it is an episode of CSI, fucking pussy.

Always was and always will be.

Posted by: To Deck Loves Dick ()
Date: December 18, 2013 11:07AM

Dear Deck Loves Dick,
Obviously you don't know dick because Deck is a great coach and person. Why are you a hater? Did Deck fuck your mom and girlfriend, or both?

Posted by: i remember ()
Date: December 18, 2013 12:59PM

EHS89 Wrote:
> The bizarre circumstance of the Potomac player
> dying (Charles Cole) during the 86 state semi's is
> the next year at Edison, a Stuart player (John
> Avila) suffered a major brain injury during the
> game. I remember them taking him off the
> sidelines in the 2nd half and everyone flashing
> back to the Potomac game thinking "not again".
>
> Avila didn't die that night, but ended up in a
> coma for over a decade before he passed away in
> 1999. With all the consussion talk around
> football these days, I'm always reminded of Avila
> and wonder if that's what happened to him that
> night in September of 87. They never really
> figured out what happened to him during the game.

Yeah I remember the Avila injury as well(hadn't heard that he passed away). If memory serves me right, wasn't the Stuart game the first game of the next season?

Posted by: 4knWK ()
Date: December 18, 2013 02:38PM

To Deck Loves Dick Wrote:
> Dear Deck Loves Dick,
> Obviously you don't know dick because Deck
> is a great coach and person. Why are you a hater?
> Did Deck fuck your mom and girlfriend, or both?

LOL

Deck never had a gf.... maybe dodie? But I banged dodie out many times, so whatever.

Was a pussy and still is.

Posted by: MV Fan ()
Date: December 18, 2013 03:00PM

i remember Wrote:
> EHS89 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > The bizarre circumstance of the Potomac player
> > dying (Charles Cole) during the 86 state semi's
> is
> > the next year at Edison, a Stuart player (John
> > Avila) suffered a major brain injury during the
> > game. I remember them taking him off the
> > sidelines in the 2nd half and everyone flashing
> > back to the Potomac game thinking "not again".
> >
> > Avila didn't die that night, but ended up in a
> > coma for over a decade before he passed away in
> > 1999. With all the consussion talk around
> > football these days, I'm always reminded of
> Avila
> > and wonder if that's what happened to him that
> > night in September of 87. They never really
> > figured out what happened to him during the
> game.
>
>
> Yeah I remember the Avila injury as well(hadn't
> heard that he passed away). If memory serves me
> right, wasn't the Stuart game the first game of
> the next season?

Did he also play basketball? I seem to recall that Sueart had a really good basketball team about that time and seem to recall they had a player named Avila.

Posted by: I remember- EHS 89 ()
Date: December 18, 2013 04:10PM

MV Fan Wrote:
> i remember Wrote:
> -----
> > EHS89 Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > The bizarre circumstance of the Potomac
> player
> > > dying (Charles Cole) during the 86 state
> semi's
> > is
> > > the next year at Edison, a Stuart player
> (John
> > > Avila) suffered a major brain injury during
> the
> > > game. I remember them taking him off the
> > > sidelines in the 2nd half and everyone
> flashing
> > > back to the Potomac game thinking "not
> again".
> > >
> > > Avila didn't die that night, but ended up in
> a
> > > coma for over a decade before he passed away
> in
> > > 1999. With all the consussion talk around
> > > football these days, I'm always reminded of
> > Avila
> > > and wonder if that's what happened to him
> that
> > > night in September of 87. They never really
> > > figured out what happened to him during the
> > game.
> >
> >
> > Yeah I remember the Avila injury as well(hadn't
> > heard that he passed away). If memory serves
> me
> > right, wasn't the Stuart game the first game of
> > the next season?
>
>
> Did he also play basketball? I seem to recall
> that Sueart had a really good basketball team
> about that time and seem to recall they had a
> player named Avila.

I don't really remember the boys team- but I know their girls basketball team won state in '87, so it wouldn't be a shock at all if their boys were really good as well. Definitely not the Stuart that is around today.

Posted by: Eagle's Nest ()
Date: December 31, 2013 03:32PM

Stephon Robertson
NFL Prospect

.2013 FCS Atheltics Director's Association (AA)
.2013 American Football Coaches Association (AA)
.2013 Dudley Award Winner for best Division Player in the state of VA
•2013 Buck Buchanan Runner-Up
•2013 CAA Defensive Player of the Year
•2013 Defensive Player of the Year by College Sports Madness
•2013 CAA Preseason Defensive Player of the Year and Preseason All-CAA at linebacker
•Sports Network First Team Preseason All-American in 2013
•Selected as a Walter Camp Football Foundation All-American (one team only) and Second Team Associated Press and The Sports Network All-American
•2012 CAA Defensive Player of the Year and First Team All-CAA, All-VaSID and Roanoke Times All-State
•Finished eighth overall and second among underclassmen in voting for the 2012 Buck Buchanan Award, despite only appearing on the final watch list/ballot
•Sports Network Third Team Preseason All-American and Preseason All-CAA at linebacker in 2012
•2011 and 2012 First Team All-CAA, Roanoke Times First Team Division I All-State and First Team VaSID All-Virginia selection
•2010 CAA Defensive Rookie of the Year

Posted by: Ehs89 ()
Date: January 01, 2014 02:20PM

Stuart wasn't the first game that season because I believe we opened up on the road at Fairfax that year. May have been the home opener perhaps,

Posted by: EHS Alumni ()
Date: January 03, 2014 06:58PM

I loved that 1986 championship team. That 1986 team had major players on it. Dan Eisel (hope I spelled the name right) and Brian King come to mind. Eisel was a defensive tackle and King was a defensive end. King and Eisel had a field day in that championship game. Eisel had between 6-8 sacks and King also had several. Altogether Edison had about 11 sacks in that game against Warwick. You need to see the game online. I think that you can go into the archives at the Washington Post and still pull the numbers from that game. I do not think I have ever seen such defensive dominance in the high school football like that game. I kept Edison game and school football standings from 1980-1990 so the totals in that game vary. Had several brothers go to school there as well as myself so grew up going to games for my childhood. Very involved in the Edison boosters over the years. Those two were really consistent from my memory for sure. Jerry Jackson was great. I grew up watching my older brother play on the late 60's teams as a young little guy. I will try and upload that particular 86 championshiop game onto youtube this year so you can see it. I will post once it is up. I am also attempting to pull the last decade of Edison playoff games and put them up also but this may take a little longer. The game video speaks for itself to say the least.

Deck did not play defense from what I recall and was only the running back and played fullback too.

I will try and pull some of the game stats etc and post soon as I locate them.

My vote for the 86 team would be Eisel and King.

Posted by: punter mania ()
Date: January 03, 2014 08:43PM

I keep seeing Jerry Jackson's name here. Must've been a helluva punter/db.

The punter I remember from that era was Robbie Banks from Stuart...holy heck could he punt.

Watched him punt in 84 against O'Connell...unfortunately, I think I recall a couple of his 70 plus yard bombs being returned for TD's by Eric Metcalf.

Posted by: Another player on Edison 86 ()
Date: January 04, 2014 06:20AM

I was good friends with many on the 1986 team as well as also played on the team. It has been a while thinking of these guys.

Yes, Jerry Jackson was a player that could kick field goals to some degree but his strength was in punting and as a coverage corner. Good size and speed made him a division one prospect. I believe grades were his achilles heel if I remember correctly. Did not run with the wrong crowds and a very likeable person as a player and friend. Never caught up in controversies. Jerry could punt the ball in a way that the ball spiraled 60 yards plus. The punts were a thing of beauty. I do not believe that he was ever blocked on any of his punts either in any games. Just seemed to know how fast to get that ball off with good hang time. If any of you remember the punter Reggie Roby from the Miami Dolphins, this is Jerry Jackson to a tee.

In regards to the 1986 team EHS Alumni, you are correct. There were several players that were good on that team for sure. On defense, clearly Dan Eisel and Brian King were the strong players. To me, Dan was an enigma to say the least. There are so many talented players that can go all the way to the top and for some stupid reason or another something gets in the way. Very blessed in terms of talent, size, weight and strength. All you wanted in a division one player. Dan was a player that started JV and played varsity as a freshman. Played Freshman, sophomore and Junior year as starter on Varsity. Had many sacks every year he played and had he stayed his senior year would have been all american for sure. The performance that he put in the championship game was astounding especially from the defensive tackle position. Having played with him on the team, I would say he was consistent game in and game out. I have seen many multiple sack games over the three years that I played and knew him. I once saw him take down the running back and the quarterback in a game with Herndon at the same time. He also never had grade problems that I am aware of. His problem was one that many of us can relate to, A serious relationship too young in life. You know how it is sometimes with young guys and their first really serious relationship sometimes... It ended up causing him to move to graduate early from what I remember. Took his senior year classes at night school and summer school during his junior year. I can verify that he was very higly recruited by Ohio State University etc. and had a full scholarship sent over the summer of 1987 to go there. Due to the complexity of the situation with the girl, he ended up going close to home as relationship apparently dictated such. He ended up going to play at West Virginia University on scholarship and that is the last I heard. I suspect sadly that this situation ended up affecting his career in football as he dropped off the map. Sad. He was really good.

Brian King is a player that is very underated. Not a huge player in terms of size or strength but one that was complemented with speed and smarts. Good grades too. Actually, quite brainy in math and science from what I remember. Brian was a very good defensive end that had excellent closing speed and wrapped up good on tackles. Had Brian had another year and put on say, another 20 pounds in weight, I suspect he would have had schools all over the country on his doorstep too. It seemed that as the season went along, Brian matured into the end position and grew more resolute. I wish he had one more year to play as I suspect he would have been all american as well.

Other players on the 1986 team that really stood out were:

Greg Jones- Linebacker. Undersized in terms of weight but good strength and speed. Practiced really hard and played as hard. Laid a good hit on contact with running backs and not afraid to put whole body into the hit on contact either.

Mike Buchanon- Here is a name I forgot and did not do justice to him. Undersized, average strength. Effort was 100% and if he hit a running back had great fundamentals and did not lose many of the tackes he gave. Had he been only a bit taller and heavier. Very smart and great at reading offenses.

Mike Spitaleri- Deserves honerable mention despite not being on the 86 team. Very hard hitting linbacker. Played in the 84 and 85 seasons. Would have come back in 86 but I believe a knee injury knocked him out. Sad as he had excellent size, weight and strength to play on the next level.

Greg Redding- I would have to agree that Greg was a great player. Just two more inches in height and could have gone to the next level as well I believe. Excellent wrestler and great weight and strength. Excellent low attack point at the line of scrimmage. Any defensive lineman would have to come in low against him or he would pancake you. Would have played excellent at defensive tackle also.
I would be interested in knowing what happened with him.

Dan Peyton- Good player. Average strength. Excellent height. Good motor at the end position. Had good game smarts and good in the classroom. I am not sure I would rank him above Eisel and King in the listings of the top players to come through the school.

Jeff Turner- I have to mention him if no one else has. Undersized. Strong. Excellent low center of gravity. If this guy had been 6 inches taller, would have been a major college player. Very smart and one of the hardest players. Perhaps he felt that since he was short, he had to work harder at things. I can assure you that he worked his butt off. Not a great player by the stats but a steady hard working guy for sure. He has my deep respect.

Hope this info helps out.

Date: January 07, 2014 11:13AM

The updated List (NOT in any order):

1. Pat Toomay - 66
2. Andre Alston - 79
3. Jim Davie – 82
4. Tony Burroughs - 84
5. Jerry Jackson – 87
6. Stephon ? – 2008
7. Curt Chesley - 66
8. QB from 2006 team - 07
9. Scott Szymanski - 83
10. Steve Sealock -83
11. Mark Bondurant - 80
12. Eric Barton - 96
13. Mike Florence - 78
14. Vince Kelly – 77
15. Robbie Young - 81
16. Dan Peyton - 88
17. Mark Vincenees – 79
18. Mike Gallahan – 85
19. ? Wood – mid70’s?
20. Ron Truitt – 73
21. Sherman Deck - 88
22. Ben Barber - 08
23. Greg Redden - 89
24. Cedric Bryant - 01
25. Dennis Randolph - ?
26. Mike Buchanan - 87
27. Dan Eisele - 88
28. Jeff Turner - 88
29. Greg Jones - 87
30. Brian King - 87
31. Mike Spetalieri - 87

Who else? I think we have enough from the 86 State Champions

Date: January 07, 2014 11:30AM

Forgot to include the information provided from football observer.

6. Stephon Robertson - 08 (good luck in the NFL draft this year!)

8. Shawn Lloyd - 07 (QB from 2006 State Runner-Up Team)

Still need the year Dennis Randolph graduated. Did he have the same first name as hid dad?

Need the first name of a player with the last name Wood from the mid-70's?

Posted by: Bill Romo ()
Date: January 07, 2014 12:00PM

Quite a carerr at James Madison as he got yet another honor as ECAC Defensive Player of the Year - there has to be a place on some NFL team for this kid - just one heck of a player. Not big -but they got no metric for a kid's heart! This about somes it up.

ECAC News Release:
"The 2013 ECAC Defensive Player of the Year, Stephon Robertson was one of the top defensive players in the country this season. He finished his senior season with 141 tackles, 52 solo tackles, 17 tackles for loss and five sacks. Robertson led the CAA in both total tackles and tackles for loss and is third in the FCS with 11.8 tackles per game and No. 17 in tackles for loss (1.4 per game). He was named the CAA Defensive Player of the Year for the second time in his career this season and was named to the Sports Network and Associated Press All-America First Teams and is a member of the FCS Athletic Directors Association All-America team. Robertson was also honored with the Dudley Award as the best Division I football player in Virginia and was a runner up for the Buck Buchanan Award for the nation’s top defensive player."

Posted by: Nutz ()
Date: January 09, 2014 08:13AM

Dennis Randolph graduated with me in 1997. I had several classes with him.

Posted by: deck, really ()
Date: March 26, 2014 09:46AM

Deck was a fkn pedophile bastard 20 years ago when he worked for that piece of shit racist, Randolph. How the hell is he still there at Edison? He was apparently sleeping with one of the high school girls all the way back then. I'm amazed that he's still there. What a total bullshitter, talkin about how he was a walk on to the Redskins.

Posted by: Shawn Lloyd ()
Date: June 27, 2014 11:21PM

Damn #8? I'm glad I was able to be apart of this list and entertain you folks while I was playing at Edison. Some the best football I ever had fun playing. Sorry we didn't bring home states in 06. Seeing things like this is why I continue to play the game.

Posted by: Hold up! ()
Date: June 28, 2014 12:57AM

Pat Toomey...you mean Senator Pat Toomey (R) from Pennyslvannia

Posted by: Independent ()
Date: June 28, 2014 01:06AM

Hold up! Wrote:
> Pat Toomey...you mean Senator Pat Toomey (R) from
> Pennyslvannia

Pat Toomay not Pat Toomey.

Posted by: vvXyF ()
Date: June 28, 2014 10:48PM

what happened to Jerry Jackson?

good chances he is in jail

Date: September 12, 2014 09:50PM

Posted by: thak ()
Date: January 02, 2015 01:55AM

My dad was a senior on the team in 81. William (Billy) Hakenson

Posted by: Jerry Jackson ()
Date: February 23, 2015 03:23PM

Let me first clear the air. I am Jerry Jackson. After high school I received a scholarship to and played football in junior college. I then Spent 10 years as a United States Marine. Yes I am a veteran. So whoever decided to categorize me as someone in jail is a ignorant person. I am a successful business man that is very well off. I would appreciate just a thanks for serving my country and stop making yourself look stupid.

Posted by: V9jGL ()
Date: February 23, 2015 06:54PM

jerry go fuck yourself

Posted by: Mike Buchanan ()
Date: February 24, 2015 01:54PM

I just wanted to say thanks to Frank and Another Player for putting on this list of great players from Edison. All I ever wanted to do was play football since I was born. Yeah, Another Player, wish I had some size and strength back then!!! HAHAHA!!!! Hell, our whole team, except for a few, were undersized but we did play good as a TEAM!!! I always say we had a great class that year too!!

Thanks for serving Jerry!!! Not sure why someone would say that about you. You were always a cool guy!!!

Posted by: dvWjW ()
Date: February 24, 2015 06:32PM

bmwbuchanan@yahoo.com ?

unless you sell bmws, then that is a douchebag name

Posted by: Bell ()
Date: February 25, 2015 08:17AM

This is a great thread, would love to see the same thing for the other Fairfax football teams of the past.

Posted by: Mike Buchanan ()
Date: February 25, 2015 01:35PM

dvWjW, I've worked for BMW for many years. If you need anything I'll help you out.

Posted by: Ray ()
Date: March 01, 2015 12:29AM

Thanks for your service Jerry Jackson. Enjoyed watching you and the other Edison teams play back in the day. The 1986 playoffs was a great run leading to the state championship. You, Mike Buchanon and the rest of that team always found a way to win.

Ignore the hater. It is too bad some people want to leave negative comments. Sad to think how their life must have turned out. Glad you are doing well. I am going to give my son a call and try to come up with some other names to add to this list.

Posted by: Robert ()
Date: March 04, 2015 10:38AM

I was older but remember your Dad Billy Hakenson. Tough as nails and a solid player. He also ran track with my little brother.

Posted by: Ray ()
Date: March 04, 2015 11:15AM

Here is a list my son and I remember as the standout players from the early 1980s. A few of the names we thought of are already mentioned. The class of 1982 (81 football season) was the best all-around team in the 8 or 9 years I followed Edison sports. The 83-84 basketball team was really good.

Shawn Andrelinus – 80
Mike Lannon – 80
Ron Mills – 81
Bill Lannon – 82
Ed Barron – 82
Tim McCutchen - 82
Steve Jones – 83
Tony Bettinger – 84

We think the unknown name from the original list is Randy Wood class of 1979.

Posted by: Joe C ()
Date: March 14, 2017 10:40PM

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCVtul-6lC2ewjMbDRPPKKkw

Link above has every game film from 1986 season

Posted by: DONT DISCOUNT ()
Date: March 14, 2017 10:49PM

The Edison football teams from 1980-1984 were tough as nails.

THis was at a time where Edison Football played every team in the Northern Region - not just schools of similar size. THe 1986 team while great - played a watered down schedule compared to earlier teams.

The 1980-84 teams under Joe Clarke and Butch Baughn physically beat the shit out of teams like Mt. Vernon (State Champs during that period), RObinson, Lake Braddock, Chantilly, Fort Hunt (now part of West Potomac).

Several players went on to play in college. Any of those teams could have won a State Championship in a watered down division.

Posted by: Dick Adams ()
Date: March 14, 2017 10:57PM

Go away. I kicked all your asses

Posted by: JyF4X ()
Date: March 15, 2017 12:16AM

Joe C Wrote:
> https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCVtul-6lC2ewjMbDRPP
> KKkw
>
> Link above has every game film from 1986 season

billy? LOL what a little idiot

still hanging on to highschool

Posted by: Eagle Pride ()
Date: March 17, 2017 01:27AM

Eagles from 80 to 84 that played in college

Jim Davies Va Tech

TJ Mucucheon GA Southern

Robbie Young - Va Tech

Steve Sealock - Maryland

Greg Spalding Ferrum

Don Wilder UVA

Chip Gregory, Lou Cornell, Demetry Pikrallidas Randolph-Macon

Dave Barnett Shepherd

Steve Jones Va Union.

John Means William and Mary

Posted by: Wake alum ()
Date: March 17, 2017 11:38PM

Joe C Wrote:
> https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCVtul-6lC2ewjMbDRPP
> KKkw
>
> Link above has every game film from 1986 season

Awesome. Brother played for the Wakefield team that you guys crushed in the playoffs. Good fight at the end of that game.

Posted by: LBSS Lineman ()
Date: March 17, 2017 11:46PM

I remember playing you faggots in 1990. What a bunch of pussies. Especially Jerry Jackson and Mike Buchannon. What a pair of gays.

Jesus. I remember going to Arthur Treacher's after games where we would kick your fucking asses all over the field and just talking about how you would pretty much just lay down like a bunch of ninnies when we would run plays. I would reminisce over an ice cold cherry Fanta about how goddanm bush league the whole edison and wakefiled teams were.

God those were good times. God bless LBSS and Arthur Treacher's.

Posted by: edmidxjjd ()
Date: September 07, 2017 01:28PM

jyF4x- Jealous much loser. You're the one following a subject about Edison Football.

Posted by: billy shhhhhhhhhh! ()
Date: September 08, 2017 08:46PM

edmidxjjd Wrote:
> jyF4x- Jealous much loser. You're the one
> following a subject about Edison Football.

shut up billy

Posted by: Classof90 ()
Date: October 14, 2017 01:48AM

Julian "Bubbles" Gaither was by far one of the most talented players in Edison's history. If you played or watched back then he would be on that list. Greg Redding should be on the list for wrestling, but football there were a lot of guys that I would rank above. Eugene Mays was a monster from the class of '92. Went to Va Tech. The quarterback from the '89 team (Randolph's first year) was Lee Grimsley. Reggie Collins had a huge year at receiver. Donnell Jones was a great receiver from '87. Just some names that should be on this list.

Posted by: ‘81 grad ()
Date: November 06, 2017 10:56AM

A lot of people may not realize Mike Buchanan was an exceptional quarterback that was determined to be a lineman. Against a lot of informed advice, he changed either during or right before high school. Had he remained a quarterback, his HS record would have been exceptional.

Also happy to see Robbie Young ‘81 on list. Robbie was amazing.

Posted by: Feds ()
Date: November 06, 2017 03:29PM

The 81 team lost to Ft Hunt 21 to 7. It was complete domination. Whoever wrote about a 2 put conversion has no clue. FHHS. always dominated Edison.

Posted by: Jerry ()
Date: November 07, 2017 03:56PM

Who was the quarterback for Edison in 80-81-82

Posted by: Ed facts ()
Date: November 07, 2017 06:09PM

McCutcheon, Tim better best kid on 81 team. QB was 2nd team district

Posted by: Classof90 ()
Date: December 11, 2017 04:02PM

My older cousins James (Mann) Funderburke and Robert (Punkin) Funderburke were in that backfield for Fort Hunt. They were tough... But 21-7 is not domination.. A Clear win yes, but no domination.

Posted by: Ben Anderson ()
Date: October 29, 2018 03:19PM

Coach Lewis and perhaps his best assistant Coach Travis coached a lot of key players like Levi Barber, Corey and Christian Washington, Angus Harper, Frank Figueroa and Stephon Robertson. That 2008 team was a gifted squad

Posted by: Funderpunk ()
Date: October 29, 2018 07:18PM

The Fans of Ft hunt threatened Steve Sealock and Demete Pikrallidas both at halftime and after the game for hitting the punk Fort Hunt running backs too hard.

Creneti pulled them out of the game early in 3rd quarter.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.