HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
principal Cliff Hardison
Posted by: west po ()
Date: July 24, 2013 11:47AM

Out hearts are heavy tonight. The Mount Vernon High School Communitty extends our deepest sympathy to the West Potomac High School Community. Principal Cliff Hardison passed away today. He will always be remembered as an excellent educator, a champion for children and a kind man. We will miss you Cliff.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: principal Cliff Hardison
Posted by: RIP ()
Date: July 24, 2013 04:39PM

Known Mr. Hardison from when I went to Hayfield . The guy was one of the most nicest down-the-earth people I have known at Hayfield . I was hurt the day he left Hayfield. But I'm glad I got to know him. RIP Hardison. You'll be missed. My hearts go out to his family and close friends.

Posted by: Sad News ()
Date: July 24, 2013 06:08PM

This news of Mr. Hardison has stunned so many of us. It goes to show how vulnerable we each are. RIP.

Posted by: Bob Talley ()
Date: July 25, 2013 10:21AM

I worked with Cliff in Chesterfield Co. as a Counselor.
As already stated he was a wonderful individual who will be missed by all.

Bob Talley
Director for Pupil Placement

Posted by: rip ()
Date: July 25, 2013 11:44AM

He was such a nice guy. you'll remember he wanted everyone to pass and got rid of the "F"

Posted by: J.Kozier ()
Date: July 25, 2013 06:01PM

I never knew this man but feel a strong connection as a soon to be middle aged adult that has parents at 60 and 62. He did not smoke but still contracted the horrible plague known as lung cancer. A moment of silence for what seemed to be a honorable stranger I never knew but felt a strong connection.....

Posted by: Rhonda Hill ()
Date: July 25, 2013 08:48PM

Cliff was such an intellectual stimulation! He was every man's teacher and mentor. It is an honor for me to have worked with him. To his family and friends, I extend heartfelt sympathy.

Posted by: enelar ()
Date: July 26, 2013 02:54PM

Gave me my first teaching job. Why? My car was in the shop and I took the bus and then walked half a mile to get to the interview. He had driven by me and was surprised I was his interviewee. He asked me to cool off and gave me a cold soda!

Condolences and prayers with the family.

West Potomac principal dies after recent illness
Posted by: RIP Cliff Hardison ()
Date: July 26, 2013 06:35PM

West Potomac principal dies after recent illness
http://www.fairfaxtimes.com/article/20130725/NEWS/130729508/1117/west-potomac-principal-dies-after-recent-illness&template=fairfaxTimes

This story was updated at 4:45 p.m. July 25, 2013.

West Potomac High School Principal Clifford “Cliff” Hardison, 60, died Tuesday from a recent illness. Hardison had served as principal since 2009.

“Cliff was a caring and thoughtful person who inspired all who knew him, and he will be greatly missed,” wrote Deborah Tyler, assistant superintendent of Cluster 4, in a letter to the West Potomac community. “Cliff worked tirelessly to empower parents to support their children in educational endeavors and development. His death will leave a void that can never entirely be filled.”

Hardison had worked as an educator for nearly 40 years. The principal had a record for innovation, which drew both praise and criticism from the West Potomac community. After seeing too many students fail classes, in 2010, Hardison piloted a new no ‘F’ grade policy, which meant delaying the awarding of failing grade to allow students to complete additional assignments and improve their grade and learning experience.

Hardison was also dedicated to risk prevention efforts for students. He served as a Board of Directors member of the Unified Prevention Coalition of Fairfax County.

“We have lost a real advocate for keeping our youth safe and drug-free,” wrote Lisa Adler, president of the Unified Prevention Coalition of Fairfax County. “[H]e was committed to working with youth and the community in efforts to discourage and prevent underage alcohol and binge drinking, and marijuana and prescription drug abuse. His West Potomac High School was among the first to have students join our UPC Youth Council, and his leadership and support will be greatly missed.”

According to Mary Shaw, a spokeswoman with Fairfax County Public Schools, the school system is in the process of identifying a retired principal to be named as interim and expects to have someone in place by early next week.

An FCPS Crisis Team will be available to support West Potomac High School staff and students. Parents and teachers were urged to contact the school for support as needed.
Attachments:
AR-130729508.jpg

Posted by: DH3 ()
Date: July 28, 2013 02:05PM

Mr. Hardison was a no-nonesense guy who expected and demanded the best out of everyone. He gave me a second chance in my teaching career and was a man of his word to me always. We had great conversations and I felt full support from him as my principal. He will be dearly missed and thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends during this very difficult time.

Posted by: Jose Orozco ()
Date: July 28, 2013 02:19PM

I knew Cliff for over 10 years when I was a student at West Potomac. He saw potential in me when I didn't, he believed in me when I didn't. He was an amazing man with a heart of gold who made a difference in the world. He will be missed. We love you Cliff!!

Re: colleague Cliff Hardison
Posted by: Andrea S ()
Date: July 28, 2013 06:29PM

Cliff was genuine. He was a leader, man of faith, colleague, teacher and friend. I enjoyed working with him when he was an Assistant Principal at TJ; supporting him at the funeral of his father and visiting him during the summer diversity conferences when he was a Principal at Mt Vernon High School. For health reasons I was not able to attend visiting hours and will not be able to attend his funeral, but am sending prayers, condolences and cherished memories to his family. He will be missed.

Posted by: Blanca Vasquez ()
Date: July 29, 2013 11:38AM

Clift was an excellent communicator. Parents from Creekside Village were very pleased with him due to his availability. In the event they were in need of support with their children. Also as a UCM Community Developer I stop by the school looking for support specially for community events and he was always with open arms to support us. Prayers and condolences to his family (revelation 21:3,4)

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.