HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Robberies in the office, and we aint talkin' paper clips!
Posted by: FUNdamental ()
Date: December 05, 2008 07:30AM

From Newschannel 8

FAIRFAX, Va. -- A national trend in which bold burglars walk into workplaces and steal wallets is increasingly common in Fairfax County, according to police.

Fairfax County police estimate one man is responsible for eight such crimes.

Blending in at offices is easier these days with relaxed dress codes and particularly easy when employees are polite.

At buildings with restricted access, thieves will try to piggy back employees with the proper credentials.

Office creepers target quick grabs like computers, credit cards and cash.

Such crimes are becoming more common in Tysons Corner. Fairfax County police also are working with Arlington and Alexandria.

Police recommend protecting the workplace by locking rear entry doors, enforcing the one person-in-at-a-time rule and not letting go of receptionists. A front-office person who simply asks, "Can I help you?" is usually enough to turn a thief away, police said.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Robberies in the office, and we aint talkin' paper clips!
Posted by: JayBee ()
Date: December 05, 2008 08:59AM

We had a guy come into our workplace several years ago dressed as a UPS-type delivery guy. Brown pants, brown shirt, carrying a dolley (sp?). He made his way to the second floor just before lunch and made off with a few wallets from purses that were left in cubicles. Nobody noticed him until it was too late.

Where my Mom used to work, at Verizons building at 395 and 50, there were some guys that came in during the middle of the day and removed huge oriental rugs that were in the atrium and said they were going to clean them. Turns out they just stole them and the guards held the doors open for them.

This is a common occurrance, just reading the crime reports for where I live and it happens about 2-3 times a week, average. Credit cards, laptops, blank checks, whatever they can get easily that has a high potential value.

Posted by: Junes ()
Date: December 05, 2008 10:11AM

Recession brings out the "entrepreneurial sprit" in some.

A few year back, I worked in an office where the night security guy stole electronics. There's a reason these guys are temps, working for little more than minimum wage. He tried to sell them out of the trunk of his car in the parking lot!

Posted by: That's why I have stapler in my ass... ()
Date: December 05, 2008 11:32AM

I once stole the heart of a co-worker, and she took my virginity on a desk.

Posted by: 496 ()
Date: December 05, 2008 01:13PM

Have You Seen My Stapler?

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.