HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Thanksgiving Thursday is the New Black Friday: Stores Open on Thanksgiving?!
Posted by: Tommy Turkey ()
Date: November 18, 2013 07:17AM

Thanksgiving Thursday is the New Black Friday: Stores Open on Thanksgiving?!

Several stores will be open on Thanksgiving day for Black Friday shoppers—including one that will open as early as 6 a.m.
http://fairfaxcity.patch.com/groups/holidays/p/thanksgiving-thursday-is-the-new-black-friday-stores-open-on-thanksgiving_b23f47ea

Once upon a time, Thanksgiving Day was reserved solely for — Thanksgiving.

No more.

Christmas decorations were up in some stores before Halloween was even over, and each year it seems that retailers go after Christmas shoppers harder and earlier than ever.

Last year was the first time that many retailers began Black Friday on Thanksgiving Day itself, and this year, with the time between Thanksgiving and Christmas a full week shorter, more stores will be open on turkey day, thankful for the dollars.

In fact, the news has already leaked that Kmart will be open at 6 a.m. on Thanksgiving Day, and will remain open all day.

That, of course, means a good number of people will miss some family time to ring up the masses at the registers and restock those shelves.

Options: ReplyQuote
Opening hours for 8 major retailers on Thanksgiving Day.
Posted by: Tommy Turkey ()
Date: November 18, 2013 07:19AM

Opening hours for 8 major retailers on Thanksgiving Day.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2013/11/12/retail-thanksgiving-store-opening-times/3504503/

Holiday shoppers are expected to spend about 3.9% more this year than they did last year, according to a National Retail Federation estimate. And in order to facilitate the shopping experience, retailers are pulling out all the stops.

Black Friday, the day after Thanksgiving, has traditionally represented the start of the holiday shopping period. Over the past few years, a kind of arms race has developed among retailers, and stores have opened their doors earlier and earlier each Friday. In fact, in an effort to combat a shopping season that is nearly a full week shorter than last year.

MORE: Deals, deals, deals

It is possible that the earlier opening hours will not have the desired effect. Instead of increasing sales, they could just be pushing the spike in sales forward. Last year, many companies began selling on Thanksgiving for the first time. This reduced sales on Black Friday, and overall holiday spending had its smallest increase since 2009.

Holiday retail sales a year ago were up about 3.5% from the year before, despite the longer shopping hours. In 2011, they were up 5.6% over 2010. These figures certainly make it harder to argue that more Thanksgiving hours provide any boost in overall holiday sales.

Here is our rundown of opening hours at eight top retailers for the Thanksgiving-Black Friday weekend

1. Walmart

Thanksgiving day opening: Specials begin at 6:00 p.m. and 8:00 p.m. (Many stores open 24 hrs.)

Wal-Mart Stores posted more than $328 billion in retail sales at its more than 4,500 U.S. stores last year. Overall, Walmart's sales were greater than the seven other retailers on this list combined. But with Thanksgiving falling on November 28, later than in most years, and consumer budgets expected to be tight, the retail giant moved its opening hours earlier in an attempt to capture sales. Walmart also pushed up the start of its online annual holiday deals by one month, to early November.

2. Target

Thanksgiving day opening: 8:00 p.m.

Target plans to open stores at 8 p.m. on Thanksgiving, an hour earlier than last year. The stores will remain open all night and close on Black Friday at 11 p.m. However, Target had limited success on Black Friday last year. According to Placed, a location analytics firm, Target failed to match the performance of other top retailers on this critical shopping day. This year, the chain also plans to offer Thanksgiving deals to online shoppers and lead up to the Thanksgiving opening hour with a special online-only promotion of 15 daily discounts. The online promotion will last two weeks. In 2012, Target's 1,778 stores had revenues of nearly $72 billion, more than 5% more than the prior year.

3. Best Buy

Thanksgiving day opening: 6:00 p.m.

Best Buy announced last week that more than 1,000 stores will be open all night on Thanksgiving, starting at 6 p.m., and close on Friday at 10 p.m. Best Buy's U.S. sales totaled $34.4 billion in 2012, an increase of just 1.1% from the prior year. In recent years, the consumer electronics retailer has been has lost sales to online retailers. While traffic at the stores may have remained the same, many customers simply used the stores to test products before buying them at Amazon.com or other e-commerce sites, a phenomenon called "showrooming." This year the company is embracing its showroom reputation and hopes to boost sales by bringing in additional foot traffic. Best Buy also said that it would lead up to Thanksgiving with special offers for rewards card members in the days before the holiday.

4. Sears

Thanksgiving day opening: 8:00 p.m. at Sears stores and 6:00 a.m. at Kmart Stores

Sears Holdings will open its Sears stores at 8 p.m. on Thanksgiving. The stores will remain open until 10 p.m. on Black Friday. At its Kmart stores, the shopping season will get an even earlier start. Kmart stores will open at 6 a.m. on Thanksgiving morning and remain open for 41 hours, until 11 p.m. Friday night. The company may be growing desperate for a winning holiday strategy after years of poor financial results. The company's U.S. retail sales declined by 7.5% in 2012 from the prior year to nearly $31 billion, and the retailer must try everything to boost sales this year.

5. Macy's

Macy's stores will open on Thanksgiving for the first time in the company's history, and they will stay open through Black Friday evening. The company's chief stores officer noted that it was time for Macy's to join "the fun and excitement" of the Black Friday shopping spree. The company already had a significant presence on Thanksgiving, however. Macy's has sponsored the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade in New York since the 1920s. Last year, Macy's posted U.S. sales of about $27 billion in 2012, up 5% over 2011 sales.

6. Kohl's

Most Kohl's stores will open Thursday evening at 8 p.m. and close again at midnight on Black Friday. This is the store's earliest ever Thanksgiving opening. The company is offering more than 500 online deals beginning on the Tuesday before Thanksgiving. Kohl's called the Black Friday shopping frenzy a "much-anticipated tradition enjoyed with family and friends" — sort of like Thanksgiving dinner. Kohl's posted U.S. sales of more than $19 billion in 2012, up 2.5% from 2011.

7. J.C. Penney

J.C. Penney is opening its retail stores a full 10 hours earlier than it opened its stores last year. J.C. Penney posted U.S. sales of about $13 billion in 2012, a drop of nearly 25% from the prior year, and this year's sales are going to be much worse, judging from its performance so far. J.C. Penney cannot afford to stay closed if competitors like Kohl's and Macy's are open. Whether the extended hours will help the struggling retailer at all is questionable. But J.C. Penney already held what it called its "biggest sale ever" in early November. Whether the company chose to launch the sale to clear out old products before Black Friday, or to raise desperately needed cash, has not been disclosed.

8. The Gap

Thanksgiving day opening: 9:00 a.m. at Old Navy stores

The Gap plans to open more than 900 Old Navy stores from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Thanksgiving Day. Additionally, about 700 stores will reopen at 7 p.m. that day and remain open until the end of Black Friday. In order to generate excitement, and compete for consumer dollars during a cutthroat holiday season, Old Navy plans to give away $1 million to one shopper during its Black Friday event. The company has not posted extended Thanksgiving hours for Gap or Banana Republic stores. Gap posted $12 billion in U.S. sales last year, up 5% from 2011.
Attachments:
shoppers.png

Re: Thanksgiving Thursday is the New Black Friday: Stores Open on Thanksgiving?!
Posted by: Don't be an idiot ()
Date: November 18, 2013 07:23AM

Just say no.

Re: Thanksgiving Thursday is the New Black Friday: Stores Open on Thanksgiving?!
Posted by: Ho Ho Ho ()
Date: November 18, 2013 07:28AM

A few years back I settled all this shopping crap once and for all. Gift cards from Amazon. If family doesn't like it too bad. Beats a donation in their name to the Human Fund.

Posted by: sega ()
Date: November 18, 2013 05:49PM

You realize stores are doing this in response to consumer demand, right? You have only yourselves to blame.

Posted by: Stabitha ()
Date: November 18, 2013 06:03PM

Go collect some more junk Sheeple.

Do you realize when they discount something 50-75% it's coming from a price that was marked up 200%?

You cant fix stupid!

Posted by: Siege ()
Date: November 18, 2013 06:10PM

I'm working Thanksgiving. I'm tempted to spit on everyone who comes to shop that day.

Posted by: Plus one! ()
Date: November 18, 2013 07:17PM

Siege Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm working Thanksgiving. I'm tempted to spit on
> everyone who comes to shop that day.

+1

Posted by: Boycott ()
Date: November 18, 2013 08:16PM

I won't partake in the madness. I just refuse to be part of something that completely infringes on people's holiday with family and friends. Most retail workers don't have a choice and don't get anything extra for it.

Posted by: LouderthanHell ()
Date: November 19, 2013 12:33AM

You are a consumer first, a shopper above all else?

Or are you an American first? A friend, neighbor, citizen of your community?

Do NOT shop on TX night or Friday morning. No one goes, then the stores will allow their employees to have a Holiday next year.

Consider this: Your comfy government job gets riffed cause the Feds lose their Chinese financing. Next year YOU are opening the door of the WalMart at 5 am on Black Friday. Happy ?

Posted by: Oh Really? ()
Date: November 20, 2013 06:29AM

LouderthanHell Wrote:
> You are a consumer first, a shopper above all
> else?
>
> Or are you an American first? A friend, neighbor,
> citizen of your community?
>
> Do NOT shop on TX night or Friday morning. No one
> goes, then the stores will allow their employees
> to have a Holiday next year.
>
> Consider this: Your comfy government job gets
> riffed cause the Feds lose their Chinese
> financing. Next year YOU are opening the door of
> the WalMart at 5 am on Black Friday. Happy ?

The retail stores need this. It's one of their biggest times of the year. BTW the holiday pay is pretty good. Often times, people I know (Including myself)volunteer to work on those days. That extra comes in very handy at this time of the year.

Posted by: Curmudgeon ()
Date: November 20, 2013 07:07AM

Do people get time and a half at least or is that gone?

I don't get why anyone shops in physical stores anymore. Christmas shopping is trivially easy online.

Posted by: Oh Really? ()
Date: November 20, 2013 07:20AM

Curmudgeon Wrote:
> Do people get time and a half at least or is that
> gone?
>
> I don't get why anyone shops in physical stores
> anymore. Christmas shopping is trivially easy
> online.

For me, I get double time for working on Thanksgiving, and time and a half on Black Friday. Same is true for Christmas (the day after), and New Years now.

And just so you know, the big (great sales) are on Thanksgiving and Friday. The pre-Thanksgiving sales are okay, but the super great deals are on Thanksgiving and Friday. PS: Don't be afraid to haggle. Some places are so desperate to make a sale and keep a customer, that you can get some great deals.

Posted by: Curmudgeon ()
Date: November 20, 2013 08:12AM

you hear that every year, but it seems like the "great deals" are on shit that nobody wants, beyond the "limited supply" of cheap tv's they use to sucker people in. so much easier to do it online.

Posted by: Real war ()
Date: November 20, 2013 08:25AM

This is the real war on Christmas
Where are all the people that fought for the right to say merry Christmas?
How about fighting for the true meaning of the day?

Posted by: Chick-Fil-A Policy Manual ()
Date: November 20, 2013 09:57AM

Will Chick-Fil-A be open? I often find myself craving a Nooseburger after shopping, or some of their wonderful chicken with Klansauce.

Posted by: TheRealWord ()
Date: November 20, 2013 10:03AM

If you're up in arms about retailers having to work Thanksgiving, I hope you take the same passion to ticket collectors, concession stand workers, etc... who have to work the football games we love to watch so much.

Posted by: Mick ()
Date: November 20, 2013 12:49PM

Curmudgeon Wrote:
> you hear that every year, but it seems like the
> "great deals" are on shit that nobody wants,
> beyond the "limited supply" of cheap tv's they use
> to sucker people in. so much easier to do it
> online.

So true, so true. If you want that 32" COBY tv for $499, go for it. In 6 months it may die. You get clearance items, but the only sizes they have are XL and XXL. The good stuff always costs, as you would expect. Selling good stuff for no profit is not a good business model, so they don't do it. You always get what you pay for, you never get something for nothing. And shopping online, or filling up on gift cards at Giant or Safeway beats it all.

Posted by: Some good deals ()
Date: November 20, 2013 01:07PM

Curmudgeon Wrote:
> you hear that every year, but it seems like the
> "great deals" are on shit that nobody wants,
> beyond the "limited supply" of cheap tv's they use
> to sucker people in. so much easier to do it
> online.

I got a nice 4'foot energy saver refrigerator last year for about $70 on Black Friday. Larger than most that you find in College Doors. It costs me about $45 a year to run, it's that good on saving on electrity. I also got a robot to clean our hardwood floors that usually run over a hundred bucks. I was able to get it for about $45.

Posted by: Howard Langston ()
Date: November 30, 2013 05:18AM

Big items this year in toys are the Minions and the Buddy Elmo that hugs you.
Attachments:
Jingle all the way run over.PNG

Posted by: Wally ()
Date: November 30, 2013 08:30AM

I ventured to the Fairfax Walmart on Thanksgiving for the 6:00PM special deal laptop. Got there at around 6:10 and was suprised the parking lot was just about full. Found a spot, waited about 10 minutes in line to get in the store, found the area for the computer, waited another 5 minutes in line, got computer and wandered around the store a bit checking all the people with carts loaded full of loot and then headed to the front to check out. I was surprised when I found a line that only had like 4 people in front of me, but it took all 4 of them forever to check out. I think they were all getting "rainchecks" or something. There was an Indian couple behind me who were only buying 2 bundles of plastic coat hangers, which struck me as odd, but whatever. After about 15 minutes in the line to check out I was out the door. Back safely in my car at 7:13PM. So just over an hour to save around $120.00. Not bad at all.

I thought the whole setup was very well organized. They had those crowd fence things at the front door to make the line and a county Sheriff was letting people in a few at a time. Then they had all the "doorbuster" specials spaced out so it wouldn't be all mobbed in the electronics section and they were handing out xeroxed maps at the front door. My laptop line was in the canned food aisle. I don't understand how some people got trampled up in Rhode Island or wherever it was. I guess all Walmart managers are not created equal.

Posted by: More info ()
Date: December 02, 2013 07:47AM

A young shopper carries large toys towards the check-out register on Black Friday, seen here on Thursday November 28, 2013, at the Toys-R-Us store in Fairfax, Virginia. More than a dozen US retailers opened their doors to shoppers one day ahead of the famed-Black Friday shopping day. AFP PHOTO/Paul J. RichardsPAUL J. RICHARDS/AFP/Getty Images ORG XMIT: 452566095
Attachments:
sns-pictures-black-friday-came-early-20131128-014.jpg

Posted by: Arnold ()
Date: December 14, 2013 06:44PM

Oh you have to love those shoppers!
Attachments:
jingle-all-the-way-toy-store-opening-o.gif

Posted by: Ericaellyson12 ()
Date: November 26, 2014 04:25AM

Turkey Day again! How's your preparations going?

Pavtube Studio, expert multimedia software provider, releases special article for the Thanksgiving holiday. This special article will provide customers with information on Pavtube Studio products, how the company is celebrating Thanksgiving, and a special discount for valued customers.

The discount offering is to show gratitude to valued customers and potential users of Pavtube software, who plan to deliver one of the products as a Thanksgiving gift, or use one of the products to create special memories for this year's Thanksgiving season.
For customers who plan to deliver a Pavtube program as a Thanksgiving present, the special article will be of interest as they will learn about Thanksgiving traditions and also receive a discount of up to 50 % off for all the Blu-ray and DVD products on the site.

If you have Blurays, DVDs, various HD Video and TV shows to convert, it's the best time to get key Pavtube code now!
http://www.multipelife.com/thanksgiving-2014-deals

Let's take a look at what Pavtube can do for you:
1. All-in-one Blu-ray/DVD/HD Videos to any video format solution for all multimedia devices.
2. Full disc copy with original BD/DVD structure, no quality loss.
3. Get multi-track MKV/MP4/MOV/AVI, or multi-track MOV with Apple ProRes Codec, which is the best video format for Final Cut Pro (X).
4. Create editable videos for editing programs, such as: output compatible video formats for FCP, iMovie, FCE, Avid Media Composer, Adobe Premiere Pro CC/CS, After Effects CC/CS6, Sony Vegas Pro, Pinnacle Studio 17, Windows Movie Maker, etc.
5. Experience powerful 3D visual impact.
6. Customize Blu-ray/DVD with built-in video editor.
7. Deinterlacing the raw footages to get better video effect.
8. Adding SRT/ASS/SSA subtitle before conversion.
9. Excellent audio and video sync technology.
10. Professional video editing tool with trim, crop, split, merge and other options
11. Make preset list for daily using.

Our coupons begin from Nov 20th to Dec 10th. Don't miss it!
Enjoy your most wonderful Thanksgiving!

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.