HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: 12AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 2
Showdown between Annandale football team and Marching Band....
Posted by: NovAnon ()
Date: November 13, 2013 07:12PM

"Then the unspeakable happened. Coach Mike Scott and a few other coaches as well as some players began yelling at the band and Band Director Adam Hilkert to “get the band off the field.” According to the game clock, we had about 4:30 left and halftime wasn’t over. The screams from the fans and coaches became more intense, and Coach Scott resorted to his own measures by shaking the podium of junior Assistant Drum Major Douglas Nguyen, and then yelling at the other Assistant Drum Major, senior Noah Wolfenstein, to stop conducting and get off the field. Yells came from the stands and the coaches to the press box and the field."

http://www.thea-blast.org/editorials/2013/11/13/band-kicked-field/

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Showdown between Annandale football team and Marching Band....
Posted by: coach got it wrong ()
Date: November 13, 2013 08:15PM

I was a serious athlete in high school and at the NCAA Division 1 level in college (athletic scholarship).

Band and band parents can be overly self absorbed, and often forget, no matter how proficient, they are not the stars of the show - most are there for the game - the game is competitive - and the team needs a reasonable amount of absence of distractions. Band parents and kids, just as with sports parents and kids, should keep their endeavors in perspective.

But perspective is exactly why a school can't have a coach publicly berating band kids. He can't permit the team to yell at the band kids either. The band is in part there to assist in creating an atmosphere for the team, and and they should be respected. The coach should lead by example, and avoid acting like a bully or condoning it in his players. Heck, I could get away with way too much in my high school years given my athletic status, but bullying and berating the band, generally made up of pretty nice kids who work hard at something that is harder that it looks, was way out-of-bounds. And it didn't take much maturity to realize it.

Any coach worth his while gets the AD or the principal to handle this problem anyway. He should be focusing on his team, not yelling at teen band members.

One more thing. Why is Annandale so miserable in football? I assume it is demographics, but it is sizeable school that doesn't play the powerhouse Concorde teams. The kids have to be miserable with their won/loss record. It strikes me that this coach needs to retool his approach, and radically. Getting curb stomped is not only bad for the school and the team's morale, at some point it makes a somewhat dangerous and risky game even more so

Posted by: Al bundy #33 ()
Date: November 13, 2013 08:20PM

Football players and their parents can be overly self absorbed. Fixed it for ya.

Posted by: depressing ()
Date: November 13, 2013 08:24PM

Wow. There is something very wrong between the coach and the band director. On top of that, the principal is weak. Rude is an understatement. The coach should be forced to leave.

And we are paying for turf fields for whom?

Posted by: CoachWasWRONG ()
Date: November 13, 2013 08:32PM

This is absolutely insane. In most schools - the football coach realizes that one of the biggest forces of team spirit and energy coming from a crowd is the support of a great band program.

Few band kids WANT to be out there giving up their weekends to cheer and energize a crowd for kids and coaches that don't appreciate them. If I were the band director at that school, I would pull the band out of all athletic functions and not ask the band students to do anything for the team. No pep sessions, no music at games, no cheer tunnels as this band had done for the team, no pep band at basketball games... etc. If the athletic department and coaches fail to recognize the work these kids do to support their programs - then they don't deserve to have their support.

This coach needs to be fired. Obviously - he has no clue how to coach to begin with based on his record. Second, he obviously has no clue how to be a role model and representative of the school. VERY VERY VERY poor judgement and he should fired!

Posted by: BandFan ()
Date: November 13, 2013 08:36PM

Based on the track record of the band director vs. the football coach...

Sounds like they need to put the band director in charge of the football team. This coach is a moron to treat his fan club in this manner. Any administrator that allows something like this to take place with no SEVERE consequences has no concept of how to do his/her job!

An incident like that should have resulted in this coach being fired on the spot!

Posted by: BandFan ()
Date: November 13, 2013 08:43PM

Oh - and by the way - "coach got it wrong" (whomever you are)..

YOU are incorrect. At halftime - the marching band IS the star of the show. Why else are they out there?

The team may be in the spotlight during the first and second half of the game - but when its halftime, the community spotlight turns on to the band.

Get over your jock self and realize that there ARE other kids out there doing great things and bringing state and national recognition to this school.. .and it sure as heck isn't the football team. In fact, I bet a good chunk of that audience was NOT there for the game and came to watch a state champion band perform at halftime. Of course, the admission those band parents paid went into the pockets of the athletic department.

Maybe the band should just not go to the games anymore since "they are self absorbed?" Then, not only will this team get humiliated on a weekly basis - but I bet the proceeds from the game will drop 50% or more if that state champion band isn't there!

Posted by: Dane Bramage ()
Date: November 13, 2013 08:46PM

BandFan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> The team may be in the spotlight during the first
> and second half of the game -

Perhaps at some football games, but this is Annandale. They suck and more band parents come to games than football fans.

-------------------------------------------------
“We don’t have any rude, unpleasant people here. We’re different!”

Posted by: final solution ()
Date: November 13, 2013 09:57PM

Solution:

1. The band nerds stop showing up to play at football games.

2. The home crowd loses its buzz and energy.

3. The football retards get to play with the backdrop of a lifeless home crowd.

4. Band nerds find another outlet for their music.

Posted by: band geek ()
Date: November 13, 2013 10:10PM

The football coach is wrong in the way of yelling at the kids because i understand that the football players need time to warm back up but that not an excuse to bully kids that work hard at the show. The Rules allow three minutes after halftime for the teams to get warmed back up. The coach was trying to get an upper-hand in the competition. I know that at my school the music program is a big deal the band is completely supported. The band works our butts of to get the show prepared, Rehearsal everyday and its worth it in the end but if a coach treated us like that i think that many kids would give up on band and say its not worth it, but it is all the memory's that are made are amazing no one knows unless your in band how much it means. The coach is wrong and i'm glad that i'm not going to that school.

Posted by: WT_Woodson ()
Date: November 13, 2013 10:20PM

Good!!! If the band is anything like it is at Woodson; they don't deserve to be out there. Nobody except their parents pay attention or want to hear that shit. BAnd is a waste of money, space, and it disrupts all sports practices/ green days by blasting their racket. Then you see band members in school, and they act like they are on a varsity sports team. Pathetic. That word sums up the program.

Posted by: newgatedenizen ()
Date: November 13, 2013 10:34PM

I do not think it is REQUIRED that the football team be on the field prior to the halftime intermission being ended. I've been to a lot of football games and sometimes the half-time shows are over with 7-8 minutes to spare and you see the football teams come on the field a few minutes before halftime is over. But I've also seen teams come on to the field with less than a minute left before halftime expires. I was at a VHSL game just a few weeks ago where the band was still leaving the field when the clock showed 0:00; they may have been done with the show but they were not entirely off the field. There was no penalty and and the football team waited until they were mostly off the field before they went on.

I saw Annandale's band at the Battlefield competition this year and they put on a good show - they certainly deserve better than this.

That behaviour is unacceptable. I doubt disciplinary action would do any good. Firing is probably in order.

Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: November 13, 2013 10:56PM

A clash of egos.

Posted by: RUKiddingMe ()
Date: November 13, 2013 11:07PM

@
Talk about having it wrong. Read your own post. You have the mentality you claim the band has. You are "overly self absorbed" in your role as an athlete. FYI, I played football in high school so no need to turn this back at me. That said, it was good to see you acknowledge the inappropriateness of this action independent of your flawed self validation of the athlete's need for "a reasonable amount of absence of distractions". If that were the case then all athletes would need to empty stands with no fans. Get a grip and recognize the total inappropriateness of the coaches actions without qualification.

Posted by: RUKiddingMe ()
Date: November 13, 2013 11:08PM

Post above is directed at "coach got it wrong".

Posted by: jazzy156 ()
Date: November 13, 2013 11:25PM

I am band member and totally understand where your coming from, but to be honest, you do sound self-absorbed, and that person you are directing your post to, seems respectable based on his answer. He sympathizes with us. You are proving his point of band members being "self-absorbed." Although we do bring a lot to the table in these sporting events, that is what they are: sporting events. The other football team did not go to that high school to watch the show.

Posted by: Lagree. ()
Date: November 13, 2013 11:34PM

coach got it wrong Wrote:
> One more thing. Why is Annandale so miserable in
> football? I assume it is demographics, but it is
> sizeable school that doesn't play the powerhouse
> Concorde teams. The kids have to be miserable
> with their won/loss record. It strikes me that
> this coach needs to retool his approach, and
> radically. Getting curb stomped is not only bad
> for the school and the team's morale, at some
> point it makes a somewhat dangerous and risky game
> even more so

You answered your own question. It's demographics. Currently, Annandale has the largest percentage of slopes and brown savage mud-people and the smallest percentage of negroes in all of FCPS. Slant eyes and spics don't play football well.

As Don Imus and Jimmy Snyder have scientifically proven...if you want to field a winning football or basketball team you need to have more nappy headed thugs who don't reside in a home with a front yard than the opposition does.

Posted by: Eastccounty ()
Date: November 14, 2013 12:46AM

It also didn't help that the neighborhoods that generally provide the most football players were lost to Woodson, Lake Braddock and Edison in the redistrictings.

Posted by: noname ()
Date: November 14, 2013 01:48AM

Honestly, the actions taken by the coach disgust me. As a current band member who works as hard as everyone else in school, plus all the extra practice for band, it is insulting and demoralizing to have anybody say or do things half as bad as the Annandale coach did. At my school, although we our coaches rarely communicate with the band at any point, a few players always thank us after games, whether they win or lose. And in return, band members usually tell them good game. Or for those of us who know more about football, they'll compliment the team on specific plays. That, in my opinion, is how interactions between a band and sports team should go. There should be mutual respect and gratitude on both sides. In no way should disrespect and insults be a part of that equation. The other thing is that this is only high school football. I understand that for some of the better players, every game counts. But what recruiter or scout wants a player that has no respect for the people who are cheering them on? I doubt that puts anyone in a good light. I agree that the band should pull out of a few home games at the beginning of the next season to show everyone just how a game without the band there is. And anyone involved really needs to issue an apology firstly because it's not going to kill them, and secondly because that's just the right thing to do. The coach needs to stop trying to prove he was right, and set a good example for his players and everyone else. Sometimes it's better to accept what you did was wrong and move on than it is to let tension grow and become toxic to the relationship (or lack thereof) between the band and the team,

Posted by: Band kid for life ()
Date: November 14, 2013 03:11AM

Studies have been done and show that marching requires the athleticism of a marathon runner and the top athletes of the world. A football player could very possibly pass out it he were to march and play a brass instrument (nothing against woodwind section, its just the different in air pushed through the instrument and at what rate) marching band is one of this contries most valuable sports. Sports and competition is not the most important and only thing in the world people. Athleticism is vital and activness is vial however how you go about partaking in these activities are of equal value in all honestly. I love football and I have a few favorite sports that I love to play butas a college student I a proud to say I am a member of one of the best marching bands in thf nation whch pla for one of the best football teams in the nation at one of the best universities. Marching band specifically but band in general teaches you somay key things necesary to be successful in life in ways no other activity can. It also teaches all of them in one place at one time. Marching band is every bit as important to a game as the footbal team is. Trust me go to a game without one! It sucks not having the band! As the lead trumpet player, assistant director, and drum major in highschool I was told by all the athletes and coaches at every sport the bands played at that if for some reason be it preseason or what that the band was not there, I heard about it because we are that vital to the game! Band has and deserves its place and time on the football field. We are the sound track for the game. If I went to that school, that coach ant anyone involved in disrespecting an organization so greatly would hate their job or be fired right away because I dont tolerate it and nobody else should. Sports are vital but music education is equally as vital. Dont dare say its a waste of time money and effort because it is absolutely not. Especially whr I can almost gaurentee there were more band parents that football at the game. Unless you study it or participate in it you have no idea what it takes to do it or what it means to people and you wont know how vital it is till its gone. May the world be rid of stupid ignorant unappreciative people and viva music education!!

Posted by: band mom ()
Date: November 14, 2013 04:10AM

At very least coach is out of line shaking the podium - as a parent I wd be pressing charges. Asshat! On Senior Night every senior in the band is as big a star - during half time show- as the FB players - and sometimes kids are in both band and FB! Many relatives come to see a championship band play -the coach is a jealous, immature jerk. The band Director has won titles and I'm 1-9 -but I can kick HIS kids off MY field! Idiots like this embarrass teachers everywhere - but coaches are sacred!

Posted by: Jennifer Kimball ()
Date: November 14, 2013 04:22AM

I am from southern california, a high school band alumni myself, and I found the article from the A-Blast shared on a band page on facebook. I also found a facebook event "Support for Marching Atoms" this evening, asking anyone to send an email to the pricniple detailing how the incident was unnaceptable, to pressure him to take action. I think it was aimed at parents/alumni, but it IS going viral. I plan on writing a strongly worded but mature email to the principle as well. I have also shared the event and article to a multitude of my high school band friends on facebook. I hope this all works out and the coach faces consequences for his unnacapletable behavior. Good luck to the marching atoms!

http://www.thea-blast.org/editorials/2013/11/13/band-kicked-field/

https://www.facebook.com/events/235906903244028/

Posted by: Adams Dick ()
Date: November 14, 2013 06:41AM

When Falls Church a school half your size and with the same demographics beats your ass in a football game, soemone needs to be fired at AHS.

Sincerely,

Band parent + AHS football alumni

Posted by: Former Musician/Athlete ()
Date: November 14, 2013 07:47AM

Welllll... I have a different perspective since I was a high school and small college athlete, albeit basketball in college but I was also a professional musician for a number of years after college and in the Army Band.

So, I was serious about music and practiced hard. I will tell you that I hated, I mean really hated marching band and thought half time shows were a total waste of time, to the point that I quit high school band but continued pursuing music for about 10 years after high school.

This is my take, if the half time show is that important then don't play a football game and see how many people other than band parents show up.

This in no way excuses the coach's actions though. With the incredible football tradition Annandale has and the ridiculous state of the football program now he is obviously stressed, but hell, that's what sports are all about showing character in the face of adversity, playing hard, respecting others, etc, etc, etc. I'm sure the coach is probably on his way out anyway.

I recall an incident involving the Jeferson Band Director, probably 20 years ago. The Jefferson band was really good, as can be expected. So they are in this competition somewhere and they had always swept all these competitions they enterd, but the band got second place. So when they presented the trophies and it was announced that TJ came in second the band director went out, received the trophy then walked over to trash can and threw it in the trash because he felt humiliated for coming in second!!!! I recall that it made news all over the country, too bad there wasn't youtube back then!

My whole point is that bands and band directors have an overinflated sense of importance and tend to think the football game is scheduled so they can perform at half time and high school football coaches take themselves too seriously.

There was guy that was the Football coach at Edison, he's now retired, and had a number of great seasons but he also had some that were not so great, and he was the classiest guy in the world, win or lose he always shook the other guys' hands and never did any of this childish grandstanding like the Annandale coach did.

So both sides are way out of line here and neither should be excused for acting like jerks.

Posted by: football and hockey mom ()
Date: November 14, 2013 08:27AM

While I come from the sports side, it sounds like this football coach is a first class jerk and should be fired.

He is vulgar with his players and has no self control. The language he uses is inappropriate for his players.

Time to get rid of him-he sucks as a coach as well.

Annandale football deserves better than him.

Posted by: Smoke em if ya got em ()
Date: November 14, 2013 08:47AM

Band kid for life Wrote:
> Marching band is every bit as important to a
> game as the footbal team is.

I hate to tell you this, but you are wrong. So very, very wrong.

Posted by: stevek34 ()
Date: November 14, 2013 09:04AM

Should go after Falls Church or Wakefield coach, both young coaches that had some success at smaller schools.

Posted by: another example ()
Date: November 14, 2013 09:11AM

I witnessed a similar incident at our high school this year. It was a field hockey game-like a Tuesday and the band performed at half time-I guess they were practicing for the football game.

Halftimes in hockey are much shorter than football-say 15 mins vs 30??

The bank continued to play even after the half ended and our DSA had to ask them to satop mid performance.

There was no yelling,etc. Where was Annandale's DSA?

Posted by: mnWxm ()
Date: November 14, 2013 09:30AM

Terrible administration at a terrible school behaves terribly.

Film at eleven.

Posted by: Burnout Knowledge ()
Date: November 14, 2013 09:39AM

The only difference between the football players and band members is that the footballers are in the closet and the band guys are out.

Posted by: AwwwPoorBaby ()
Date: November 14, 2013 09:47AM

WT_Woodson Wrote:
> Good!!! If the band is anything like it is at
> Woodson; they don't deserve to be out there.
> Nobody except their parents pay attention or want
> to hear that shit. BAnd is a waste of money,
> space, and it disrupts all sports practices/ green
> days by blasting their racket. Then you see band
> members in school, and they act like they are on a
> varsity sports team. Pathetic. That word sums up
> the program.

Mad, bro?
What a hater. Obviously, you have no musical talent whatsoever and have no idea what it takes to perform in a band and the work that is required to do it well. School band has been a part of sporting events since there were sporting events at school. GET USED TO IT!. EMBRACE IT! They make halftime fun and add to the spirit of the event. You're obtuse opinion actually defines PATHETIC. That word sums up your attitude, too.

Posted by: AwwPoorBaby ()
Date: November 14, 2013 09:48AM

AwwwPoorBaby Wrote:
> WT_Woodson Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Good!!! If the band is anything like it is at
> > Woodson; they don't deserve to be out there.
> > Nobody except their parents pay attention or
> want
> > to hear that shit. BAnd is a waste of money,
> > space, and it disrupts all sports practices/
> green
> > days by blasting their racket. Then you see
> band
> > members in school, and they act like they are on
> a
> > varsity sports team. Pathetic. That word sums
> up
> > the program.
>
> Mad, bro?
> What a hater. Obviously, you have no musical
> talent whatsoever and have no idea what it takes
> to perform in a band and the work that is required
> to do it well. School band has been a part of
> sporting events since there were sporting events
> at school. GET USED TO IT!. EMBRACE IT! They make
> halftime fun and add to the spirit of the event.
> You're obtuse opinion actually defines PATHETIC.
> That word sums up your attitude, too.

Oops..."Your obtuse opinion..."

Posted by: Wellmynameisalexbut... ()
Date: November 14, 2013 10:11AM

This incident is extremely upsetting. Performing on the field at a football game was one of my favorite parts of high school, and I'm sure that night will not be forgotten by the band students that this happened to.

Posted by: wowza ()
Date: November 14, 2013 10:26AM

I was a serious Computer Science major at an NCAA school with a FULL RIDE music scholarship. Besides maintaining a high gpa to keep my scholarship, I also had to participate in many music events. Every home football game, half of all men's basketball games and half of all women's basketball games - a wind ensemble concert twice a semester, recitals for music majors, pit orchestra for musicals and also graduation ceremonies for all students. Don't tell me about self absorbed band parents and students. While I attended every football game in 4 years I can count on one hand how many football and basketball players bothered to attend a concert - and they were already in the band. Obviously my NCAA school thought it was important to have a live band at these events or my scholarship would not have required it. Giving public respect to them for 8 minutes four or five times a year shouldn't take much effort - thought for that matter.

Posted by: Both Sides Now ()
Date: November 14, 2013 11:00AM

I was a band geek in high school and college. Both football teams were terrible, and in college the student body routinely showed up near the end of the second quarter, stayed for the halftime show, then left as soon as halftime was over. A football coach yelling at the drum majors and shaking their podium is not only wrong, it is unsafe.

That having been said, it is up to the band director to make sure that the band is off the field with at least some small margin to spare prior to the end of halftime. Timing your show just isn't that difficult. While game officials are fairly reasonable, they also have the absolute right to assess a penalty against the home team for delay of game if the band is on the field when the clock hits zero. I was at an Annandale game earlier this year, and the band was still on the field when the clock hit zero. The officials did not impose a penalty, but they were starting to walk on the field just before the band started to leave the field, so I suspect they were getting close to throwing the flag.

In the end, it's all about mutual respect--the football coach understanding and respecting the important contribution that the band makes to the game atmosphere and the band director understanding and respecting the importance of not putting the football team in the position of getting a penalty for something not under their control.

Posted by: yupper!@# ()
Date: November 14, 2013 11:52AM

Football team gets smacked down every game. They need to take out their frustration on someone, so beat on the band (who aren't wearing pads). Sucks 2 B Annandale FB!

Posted by: Hob Bardage ()
Date: November 14, 2013 12:25PM

Time for the Annandale principal to make clear there are consequences for bad behavior. The football coach needs to be fired this week for setting a bad example and sustained incompetence.

Posted by: Mike Ditka ()
Date: November 14, 2013 12:42PM

Who gives a cold crap about the band??!!! This wasn’t a concert or a parade. It was a FOOTBALL GAME. You don’t see football players marching across the stage during intermission of a band concert. - See more at: http://www.thea-blast.org/top-stories/2013/11/13/band-kicked-field/#comment-111802

Posted by: John7943 ()
Date: November 14, 2013 12:57PM

Let Coach Mike Scott know how rude he was to act the way he did.

This is his school email addresss publicly listed on the school's website:
Mike.Scott@fcps.edu

Posted by: J. Pinkman ()
Date: November 14, 2013 01:24PM

Band kid for life Wrote:
> Studies have been done and show that marching
> requires the athleticism of a marathon runner and
> the top athletes of the world.

Yo, cite your source. Otherwise I recommend you stop smoking my product.

Posted by: LetsRock ()
Date: November 14, 2013 01:35PM

WT_Woodson Wrote:
> Good!!! If the band is anything like it is at
> Woodson; they don't deserve to be out there.
> Nobody except their parents pay attention or want
> to hear that shit. BAnd is a waste of money,
> space, and it disrupts all sports practices/ green
> days by blasting their racket. Then you see band
> members in school, and they act like they are on a
> varsity sports team. Pathetic. That word sums up
> the program.

You know nothing about the music department. I bet MORE of the kids get scholarships to college from the band members than the jocks who are one injury away from being a "high school Harry" that never amounts to anything after he graduates. Most band have their own competitions to attend that cost the school THOUSANDS of dollars to attend. The least they can do is show up and perform for what is usually a BAD football program.

Go to any school and usually the trophy case has more awards for the band than the sports teams.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2013 01:37PM by LetsRock.

Date: November 14, 2013 01:50PM

Band dorks causin' a ruckus. Funny.

Posted by: RydellRoad ()
Date: November 14, 2013 02:02PM

No worries... in a few years there probably won't be any band at football games anyway. FCPS administration is in the process of attempting to eliminate all band booster organizations. Once they have that accomplished they'll attempt to eliminate all booster clubs - including athletic boosters. Next step after that will be to eliminate PTSA's.

They'll claim it is all about financial accountability, but it's really all about it not being "fair" that some schools have wealthier parents to fund activities.

Posted by: C. Mitchell ()
Date: November 14, 2013 02:44PM

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/151703.php

http://www.nursingcenter.com/_PDF_.aspx?an=00005721-200811000-00004

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/195762-drum-corps-international-the-athletes-who-bridge-art-and-sport
excerpt:
r. Jeff Edwards, the chair of Physical Education and Athletic Training at Indiana State University, measured the metabolic rate of a marching member of the Cavaliers Drum and Bugle Corps from Rosemont, IL to determine the extent of physical strain marching corps puts on the body. His results were astounding.

Dr. Edwards noted that even before the corps began their routine—even before he had put his drums on—the percussionist's heart rate had jumped to 180 beats per minute, which he compared to what happens to an athlete when the gun goes off.

The sympathetic area of the nervous system triggers what Dr. Edwards compares to an "adrenaline rush."

I loosely translate it as the power of performance.

But the astounding findings didn't end at the beginning. Edwards concluded that beyond the initial heart rate spike, during the performance, the percussionist's metabolic rate was 13 times that of his normal resting heart rate, to which he remarked, "The oxygen consumption is about where it would be in the middle of a marathon for a well-trained runner.

"If you looked at the heart rate, however, you would think you were looking at someone running a 400 or 800-meter dash. He's working very hard out there."

Heralded as "Marching Music's Major League," DCI is truly a unique activity-sport in which the artistic concepts of sports jump to the forefront of the activity. In fact, NFL Hall of Fame quarterback Steve Young described DCI as "the ultimate team activity" after attending the 2007 DCI Stanford show with his family.

He mused that an activity where championships are won by every single member of a 150-person ensemble performing their exact assignment at their best is truly a unique and commendable experience.

Truly, an activity where the Steve Youngs of the world can find a point of relation to musicians and artists, and vice versa, is a unique and valuable experience.

Date: November 14, 2013 02:46PM

J. Pinkman Wrote:
> Band kid for life Wrote:
> -----
> > Studies have been done and show that marching
> > requires the athleticism of a marathon runner
> and
> > the top athletes of the world.
>
> Yo, cite your source. Otherwise I recommend you
> stop smoking my product.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/151703.php

http://www.nursingcenter.com/_PDF_.aspx?an=00005721-200811000-00004

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/195762-drum-corps-international-the-athletes-who-bridge-art-and-sport
excerpt:
r. Jeff Edwards, the chair of Physical Education and Athletic Training at Indiana State University, measured the metabolic rate of a marching member of the Cavaliers Drum and Bugle Corps from Rosemont, IL to determine the extent of physical strain marching corps puts on the body. His results were astounding.

Dr. Edwards noted that even before the corps began their routine—even before he had put his drums on—the percussionist's heart rate had jumped to 180 beats per minute, which he compared to what happens to an athlete when the gun goes off.

The sympathetic area of the nervous system triggers what Dr. Edwards compares to an "adrenaline rush."

I loosely translate it as the power of performance.

But the astounding findings didn't end at the beginning. Edwards concluded that beyond the initial heart rate spike, during the performance, the percussionist's metabolic rate was 13 times that of his normal resting heart rate, to which he remarked, "The oxygen consumption is about where it would be in the middle of a marathon for a well-trained runner.

"If you looked at the heart rate, however, you would think you were looking at someone running a 400 or 800-meter dash. He's working very hard out there."

Heralded as "Marching Music's Major League," DCI is truly a unique activity-sport in which the artistic concepts of sports jump to the forefront of the activity. In fact, NFL Hall of Fame quarterback Steve Young described DCI as "the ultimate team activity" after attending the 2007 DCI Stanford show with his family.

He mused that an activity where championships are won by every single member of a 150-person ensemble performing their exact assignment at their best is truly a unique and commendable experience.

Truly, an activity where the Steve Youngs of the world can find a point of relation to musicians and artists, and vice versa, is a unique and valuable experience.

Posted by: J. Pinkman ()
Date: November 14, 2013 02:48PM

C. Mitchell Wrote:
> http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/151703.ph
> p
>
> http://www.nursingcenter.com/_PDF_.aspx?an=0000572
> 1-200811000-00004
>
>
> http://bleacherreport.com/articles/195762-drum-cor
> ps-international-the-athletes-who-bridge-art-and-s
> port
> excerpt:
> r. Jeff Edwards, the chair of Physical Education
> and Athletic Training at Indiana State University,
> measured the metabolic rate of a marching member
> of the Cavaliers Drum and Bugle Corps from
> Rosemont, IL to determine the extent of physical
> strain marching corps puts on the body. His
> results were astounding.
>
> Dr. Edwards noted that even before the corps began
> their routine—even before he had put his drums
> on—the percussionist's heart rate had jumped to
> 180 beats per minute, which he compared to what
> happens to an athlete when the gun goes off.
>
> The sympathetic area of the nervous system
> triggers what Dr. Edwards compares to an
> "adrenaline rush."
>
> I loosely translate it as the power of
> performance.
>
> But the astounding findings didn't end at the
> beginning. Edwards concluded that beyond the
> initial heart rate spike, during the performance,
> the percussionist's metabolic rate was 13 times
> that of his normal resting heart rate, to which he
> remarked, "The oxygen consumption is about where
> it would be in the middle of a marathon for a
> well-trained runner.
>
> "If you looked at the heart rate, however, you
> would think you were looking at someone running a
> 400 or 800-meter dash. He's working very hard out
> there."
>
> Heralded as "Marching Music's Major League," DCI
> is truly a unique activity-sport in which the
> artistic concepts of sports jump to the forefront
> of the activity. In fact, NFL Hall of Fame
> quarterback Steve Young described DCI as "the
> ultimate team activity" after attending the 2007
> DCI Stanford show with his family.
>
> He mused that an activity where championships are
> won by every single member of a 150-person
> ensemble performing their exact assignment at
> their best is truly a unique and commendable
> experience.
>
> Truly, an activity where the Steve Youngs of the
> world can find a point of relation to musicians
> and artists, and vice versa, is a unique and
> valuable experience.

Thanks Yo! Science bitches!!!

Date: November 14, 2013 02:58PM

Date: November 14, 2013 03:03PM

Former Musician/Athlete Wrote:
> Welllll... I have a different perspective since I
> was a high school and small college athlete,
> albeit basketball in college but I was also a
> professional musician for a number of years after
> college and in the Army Band.
>
> So, I was serious about music and practiced hard.
> I will tell you that I hated, I mean really hated
> marching band and thought half time shows were a
> total waste of time, to the point that I quit high
> school band but continued pursuing music for about
> 10 years after high school.
>
> This is my take, if the half time show is that
> important then don't play a football game and see
> how many people other than band parents show up.
>
>
> This in no way excuses the coach's actions though.
> With the incredible football tradition Annandale
> has and the ridiculous state of the football
> program now he is obviously stressed, but hell,
> that's what sports are all about showing character
> in the face of adversity, playing hard, respecting
> others, etc, etc, etc. I'm sure the coach is
> probably on his way out anyway.
>
> I recall an incident involving the Jeferson Band
> Director, probably 20 years ago. The Jefferson
> band was really good, as can be expected. So they
> are in this competition somewhere and they had
> always swept all these competitions they enterd,
> but the band got second place. So when they
> presented the trophies and it was announced that
> TJ came in second the band director went out,
> received the trophy then walked over to trash can
> and threw it in the trash because he felt
> humiliated for coming in second!!!! I recall that
> it made news all over the country, too bad there
> wasn't youtube back then!
>
> My whole point is that bands and band directors
> have an overinflated sense of importance and tend
> to think the football game is scheduled so they
> can perform at half time and high school football
> coaches take themselves too seriously.
>
> There was guy that was the Football coach at
> Edison, he's now retired, and had a number of
> great seasons but he also had some that were not
> so great, and he was the classiest guy in the
> world, win or lose he always shook the other guys'
> hands and never did any of this childish
> grandstanding like the Annandale coach did.
>
> So both sides are way out of line here and neither
> should be excused for acting like jerks.

I'm old enough to remember the TJ second place incident - yeah that was pretty bad. How do you conclue that both sides were 'out of line'. On one hand,are the actions that the Annanandale coach DISPLAYED; and on the other EXAMPLES from OTHER BAND DIRECTORs and you PERSONAL EXPERIENCE - none of which has anything to do with how the Annandale director handled this situation. Quite a leap based on your own post.

Posted by: appleale ()
Date: November 14, 2013 03:38PM

Mike Ditka Wrote:
> Who gives a cold crap about the band??!!! This
> wasn’t a concert or a parade. It was a FOOTBALL
> GAME. You don’t see football players marching
> across the stage during intermission of a band
> concert. - See more at:
> http://www.thea-blast.org/top-stories/2013/11/13/b
> and-kicked-field/#comment-111802

There's much more to a football game than the two teams on the field - there's the lights, concessions, cheerleaders, marching band, and of course, the crowd of students and parents that have all come together to support their school. While you can't have a football game without football, you can't really have a football game without a marching band either. It's like Thanksgiving with just a turkey and nothing else. The turkey is what people think of when you talk about a Thanksgiving dinner, but without all the other dishes it just doesn't have the right atmosphere.

Maybe you like attending football games purely for the football. But for many other people, it's about the atmosphere. As the student editorial discusses, it's not that the marching band felt entitled to "interrupt" a football game - it's that they were disrespected as part of the team. Not the football team, but the Annandale team. Sure, I'm sure plenty of people were only there to see the football players, as I'm sure plenty of people were only there to see the marching band. Personally, I only go to spend an obscene amount of money on watery hot chocolate.

Posted by: average joe ()
Date: November 14, 2013 04:14PM

I'm old enough to remember the TJ second place incident - yeah that was pretty bad. How do you conclue that both sides were 'out of line'. On one hand,are the actions that the Annanandale coach DISPLAYED; and on the other EXAMPLES from OTHER BAND DIRECTORs and you PERSONAL EXPERIENCE - none of which has anything to do with how the Annandale director handled this situation. Quite a leap based on your own post.

I don't care one way or another but C Mitchell's post makes absolutely no sense.

Posted by: WTwoodson ()
Date: November 14, 2013 04:28PM

AwwwPoorBaby Wrote:
> WT_Woodson Wrote:
> -----
> > Good!!! If the band is anything like it is at
> > Woodson; they don't deserve to be out there.
> > Nobody except their parents pay attention or
> want
> > to hear that shit. BAnd is a waste of money,
> > space, and it disrupts all sports practices/
> green
> > days by blasting their racket. Then you see
> band
> > members in school, and they act like they are on
> a
> > varsity sports team. Pathetic. That word sums
> up
> > the program.
>
> Mad, bro?
> What a hater. Obviously, you have no musical
> talent whatsoever and have no idea what it takes
> to perform in a band and the work that is required
> to do it well. School band has been a part of
> sporting events since there were sporting events
> at school. GET USED TO IT!. EMBRACE IT! They make
> halftime fun and add to the spirit of the event.
> You're obtuse opinion actually defines PATHETIC.
> That word sums up your attitude, too.

You're wrong. I was in the band in 5th and 6th grade and played piano a little before that. But play in the auditorium not the field. Nobody goes to listen to marching band preform. And it takes skill and hard work to be great. If you're great you're not in high school marching band. It takes hard work to play a few notes if you aren't good.

Posted by: a former Marching Atom ()
Date: November 14, 2013 04:46PM

As someone who was at the game and former AHS Marching Band member I can say this was utterly rediculous. I was there to support THE BAND and I left after halftime. Some of the attendees only go to AHS football games to support the band, cheerleaders, or dance team. Because honestly, who goes to an Annandale football game to see the football? 1-9 season? Big surprise. The AHS football program has SUCKED for years.
This would have been rediculous for any game, BUT THIS WAS SENIOR NIGHT! For the seniors (some of which had been in the band for 4 years) I am truly sorry because this was a terrible way to finish.

Posted by: Laura P.- ()
Date: November 14, 2013 04:58PM

I graduated Annandale High School but in 2002. I always had fun in the games, and didn't attend this game because it was too cold. But I hope the coach resigns.

Posted by: Clobbersaurus ()
Date: November 14, 2013 05:35PM

Jocks VS Nerds

Posted by: john swygert ()
Date: November 14, 2013 05:52PM

The Annandale Atoms Marching Band was recently shut out at halftime on November the 8th.

This decorated award winning band was "thrown off the field" by egregious acts of the visiting coach.

This was to be their last home performance as a marching band for the entire year, and think about that for the hard working tenured seniors most especially, on designated " Senior Night ".

Will they be given the opportunity to perform one last show properly with honor and respect?

Will you support one last show ?

Please sign this petition if you would like to see them offered a great chance at a show somewhere, maybe in Washington D.C., perhaps at the Kennedy Center or the White House, but preferably somewhere great where they can march !!!

A performance in a grand place to honor these award winning musicians is what they deserve to help erase away one very disrespectful evening on what was suppose to be a very special night, "Senior Night".

PLEASE SHOW YOUR SUPPORT AND SHARE THIS PETITION / REQUEST

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/681/802/546/annandale-atoms-marching-band-one-last-performance/

Posted by: anonxyz ()
Date: November 14, 2013 05:53PM

The school had already discussed the possibility that halftime would run over, and it was mutually agreed upon. Did somebody not tell the coach? The Band performances at the games are part of their curriculum. They have to show up or request for an excused absence. This is a huge amount of work for them. The coach was technically interrupting a class performance.

They aren't trying to get rid of music Booster clubs, BTW. They are restructuring in order to be in compliance with state educational laws regarding fees for classes and who can charge them, how much they can be, and the accountability for the funds, as they are public funds. Music Booster clubs can no longer charge parents whatever they want. They never really could. The fees are set by the county. They have to be. It is a state law. The records also have to be publicly available, and government data privacy laws are in effect. Again, state laws. If you don't like that, take it up with your legislators.

Every Marching Band program in the county has received $20,000-$30,000+ in appropriated funds this year and last, under the new plan. They used to not receive anything. Band is a class and certain things have to be funded. The other music programs also received $260,000 in additional funding for assessments and things that are a requirement of the curriculum. A total of about $750,000 in appropriated funds.

Booster clubs are still very welcome to collect voluntary donations and do voluntary fundraising to support the extras. Not a problem. They just can't control the whole programs like they were and bill parents for whatever they wanted to do. Anybody who wants to look at the county records and how the money is used is freely able to. Totally available and open for discussion.

Posted by: C'mon Man! ()
Date: November 14, 2013 06:59PM

Senior night. What happens at halftime? They honor the senior cheerleaders, dancers/pom pom squad, band members, and probably some others. That takes some extra time and usually some extra time is built in for an event like this with both coaches & the officials (and probably homecoming). Maybe it took a little longer than expected so the band started a bit late.

Yes, the rules say the team might face a 15 yard penalty if the band does not finish in time. So what? Adults screaming at a bunch of kids doing a show in mid show and especially having school staff (coaches) apparently yelling at kids is ridiculous. To me this is enough to condemn the actions of any coaches or parents who complained as the kids performing.

This really does not matter, but I believe the team was down by 28 points at halftime and had 1-8 record before getting creamed this game and ending 1-9. This shows that the folks going after the band have absolutely no sense. Giving away 15 yards (which probably wouldn’t be assessed) so senior band kids & parents, along with any others honored at halftime in this context is nothing. I feel badly for these kids and their parents.

I was not there and do not know exactly what happened. But by reading what I have, all I can think of when reading about these parents and coaches is what they say on Monday Night Countdown, “C’mon Man!” I love football at all levels, but I hate this story.

Posted by: go band ()
Date: November 14, 2013 07:57PM

"Marching Band" has changed. NOVA HS bands once played only at halftime and at local parades, etc. Nowadays, HS bands are "competitive" varsity sport teams. The football games are basically practices for the band competitions held on Saturdays around the region. In the past, HS bands existed to support the school football experience. HS bands now stand alone/apart from the football teams. At most NOVA HSs the bands far exceed the football teams in numbers of members, booster support, parent support, etc. At any game, check out the stands on the home side... they empty out after halftime when the band parents go home. They ain't there for the football! Sadly, times have changed... marching bands rule the roost.

Posted by: HeyDitkaBreath ()
Date: November 14, 2013 08:17PM

Mike Ditka Wrote:
> Who gives a cold crap about the band??!!! This
> wasn’t a concert or a parade. It was a FOOTBALL
> GAME. You don’t see football players marching
> across the stage during intermission of a band
> concert. - See more at:
> and-kicked-field/#comment-111802

You don't see football players at concerts at all.

Date: November 14, 2013 08:56PM

Maybe the Marching Bands should just quit doing the football game performances, since a lot of people don't seem to appreciate what they do and are utterly rude. They can just do their competitions.

There is a great big hole when they are not at a game. It just isn't the same. Plus, IT IS PART OF THEIR CURRICULUM. Like it or not. This isn't about who works harder, is more successful, etc. This is a joint production.

I am sure this could have been worked out a lot more smoothly than having a coach be verbally abusive to students, shake something a drum major is standing on, endangering a student, inciting the crowd to be abusive to them, also. He should have approached a school or game official or both. These kids were in a class performance. They were required to do this. He needs to explain his behavior. He was bullying (and endangering) children and encouraging other adults to do the same. That is unacceptable.

Something went very wrong here because the schools collaborated on this since it was Senior Night. They knew halftime was going to be a problem. Was this communicated to all parties, and maybe an explained to the people watching the game and the Senior Night festivities? Since when does a crowd at a football game start yelling at and ridiculing a large group of students performing in a school-sponsored activity? It is none of their business. What a bunch of abusive jerks, to say the least. The school officials, teachers, and the game officials control what is going on down on the field.

Posted by: xcCH4 ()
Date: November 14, 2013 09:06PM

john swygert Wrote:
> ... blah blah blah ...
>
> PLEASE SHOW YOUR SUPPORT AND SHARE THIS PETITION /
> REQUEST

I yelled at my dog about this whole situation. It peed on my carpet. That had a more significant impact than this web petition ever will.

Posted by: Bue ()
Date: November 14, 2013 09:20PM

If you were actually paid attention to the time the coaches told them to put up extra time on the clock but you all just accuse people

Posted by: Bue ()
Date: November 14, 2013 09:22PM

Most of y'all didn't even care about the band till now wow

Posted by: snowdenscold ()
Date: November 14, 2013 10:31PM

Former Musician/Athlete Wrote:
>
> I recall an incident involving the Jeferson Band
> Director, probably 20 years ago. The Jefferson
> band was really good, as can be expected. So they
> are in this competition somewhere and they had
> always swept all these competitions they enterd,
> but the band got second place. So when they
> presented the trophies and it was announced that
> TJ came in second the band director went out,
> received the trophy then walked over to trash can
> and threw it in the trash because he felt
> humiliated for coming in second!!!! I recall that
> it made news all over the country, too bad there
> wasn't youtube back then!
>

Just in case anyone was curious, it was actually an assistant director (I believe 17 years ago), and the incident took place after the ceremonies were over, not during.

Still a huge and shocking deal at the time...

Posted by: TheTwelfthMan ()
Date: November 15, 2013 01:24AM

Two of my kids are members of the Nebraska Cornhusker Marching Band. They are out at practice M-F at 6 or 7 a.m. - but their rehearsals are not just about half-time, it is also about keeping the stadium energized during football games. You may say that no one goes to a football game to watch the halftime show, but you can't say that the band doesn't compliment the atmosphere of the football game. Those kids rehearse cheers, crowd songs, the wave ... you as a football player or sports enthusiast must appreciate that they are there and make your game day experience more enjoyable. It's a lot of fun to cheer together, and 99% of the time the band starts that cheer. Band members know that the fans use half time to get a snack or talk to their neighbors - basically ignoring what is happening on the football field for those minutes between quarter 2 and 3 ... they know that this is not why people are at this venue. You don't get what they are doing at halftime? So what, the rest of the game they are doing exactly what you expect from them - supporting you. A little respect please.

Date: November 15, 2013 07:51AM

If extra time was put on the clock, why did the coach bully them into not using it? What exactly are you saying?

This guy sounds like a maniac. A total psycho. He should have approached an official instead of taking matters into his own hands and encourage a crowd to start yelling crass obscenities at a bunch of kids doing something they were required to do, and ordering other children to interfere in a performance. High school football games are a family event.

Band kids have also been physically assaulted by attendees at football games in this area.

I for one think the world would be a better place with less football and more music. Part of the music culture is learning how to behave maturely. This is obviously missing from the training that football players go through.

Posted by: question? ()
Date: November 15, 2013 08:07AM

Why can't they have the senior night awards at a different time? If the awards ceremony is longer than the half time show it would make sense to just move it.

Date: November 15, 2013 08:13AM

Some schools have done Senior night before the game. Unfortunately, due to the time required for warmups, etc. it is so early that sometimes the stands are empty. What's the point of presenting the seniors to empty stands? It looks ridiculous.

If it is done after the game, a lot of people leave by then, or are walking out on the presentation in progress, which is also nasty.

Don't know the answer.

Posted by: ShortShortsPotBelly ()
Date: November 15, 2013 08:22AM

Not a super supporter of band, but if any fatass football coach had done that to my kid, he'd be picking his teeth up off the ground.

Wtf is it with high school football coaches?

Posted by: Guestentry ()
Date: November 15, 2013 09:34AM

Truly horrific display by the Atom's coach. The police should be involved though. Shaking the podium while a student is on it endangered that student, and clearly the coach has no regard for anyone but himself. If it were my kid, I'd be calling the police to investigate. FCPS's investigations are sadly lacking in substance and will ALWAYS favor the football programs. For whatever reason, the school system seems to think football is more important than anything else.

Posted by: Native 1960 ()
Date: November 15, 2013 09:36AM

Check for steroids.

Posted by: Humbert ()
Date: November 15, 2013 09:45AM

Guestentry Wrote:
> Truly horrific display by the Atom's coach. The
> police should be involved though. Shaking the
> podium while a student is on it endangered that
> student, and clearly the coach has no regard for
> anyone but himself. If it were my kid, I'd be
> calling the police to investigate. FCPS's
> investigations are sadly lacking in substance and
> will ALWAYS favor the football programs. For
> whatever reason, the school system seems to think
> football is more important than anything else.

And of course now that we have a superintendent from Texas, where football is the only thing that really matters in any high school, we will see more of this type of action, not less.

Posted by: Funky Winkerbean ()
Date: November 15, 2013 09:50AM

So the coach wants them to leave, but the band refuses to yield, that is one thing. When the coach physically endangered a student, that's when he should be suspended and have to apologize to the student, in person.

Posted by: CCinAnnadale ()
Date: November 15, 2013 10:34AM

Oh, Coach Scott. What a light he shines onto the students who look up to him, who look to their coach for cues to behavior. He truly exemplifies all I've come to expect from American Football. And the parents who backed the coach, what upstanding community members they are. I'm proud to be part of a community that treats the stars of the show, the real stars, the football team with their shining single win, so kindly. Those narcissistic band jerks - who gives a monkey's butt if they practice hours and hours and excel in their craft? Top honors, meh! It's consistent and embarrassing failure, like our football team experienced at the hands of its coach, that breeds a good attitude later in life!

But with all the failure on the field, the coaches fully support excellence in their student's academics - we all know being football talented equates to better math scores, better college entrance tests, a stronger career path as an ad... No? Oh crap, I got it backwards, that's musical ability. Right. My bad.

Well, academics aside... and who really cares about academics anyway, amirite? Those young gentlemen must be so very proud to be members of a team that promotes bullying on this level! And to have their parents be bastions of bullying - how much togetherness those families must feel at their brofests!

It really warms the cockles of my heart to see the next generation being trained properly from the very start.

Posted by: biggest crime of all ()
Date: November 15, 2013 11:16AM

Huh, nobody wants to mention who was in the stands FOR ANNANDALE and DID NOTHING to control this coach....

Ok, I will.

Bill Curran who is the head of all activities for FCPS.

Kinda odd that he did nothing. Nice Annandale shirt, Bill.

I guess your loyalty to the school comes before your professional obligations.

Posted by: Don McLean ()
Date: November 15, 2013 11:21AM

Now the halftime air was sweet perfume
While the sergeants played a marching tune
We all got up to dance
Oh, but we never got the chance

'Cause the players tried to take the field
The marching band refused to yield
Do you recall what was revealed
The day the music died?

Posted by: formerhick76 ()
Date: November 15, 2013 02:47PM

Hmm. I wasn't a fan of the editorial stating: "The penalty is just 15 yards. Yes, it is still a penalty, but would that have really made a big difference? The marching band shows respect for the football team and supports them no matter what. Is it asking too much to take one for the team and allow one “Unsportsmanlike” penalty to allow us to have two extra minutes to show appreciation and respect to the band?" No, the band needs to realize it is a football game and that their playing the full program should not infringe on the team's chances of winning the game.

But -- everyone knew this was a night where halftime shows would run long. Let the band do their thing, do the senior congratulations, then as the band leaves the field, have the football players come on the field for their own warmups/congratulations. If the band runs super-long, maybe cut out song 3 of 3 or 4 of 4.

It's Senior Night, where the seniors in the band and the football team are honored for their years of participation. If you can't extend the halftime period by 5-10 minutes to ensure everyone gets recognized properly, then shame on the administrators. Hell, with a score of 35-7, you're getting into territory of "refs just let the clock run down" during the second half.

Given this and the coach winning four games in three years, I wonder how much longer the coach has to coach. If it turns out he actually did shake the podium, that's endangering a student -- I can't see why that man even needs to be teaching.

Posted by: NovAnon ()
Date: November 15, 2013 07:41PM

Posted by: dts ()
Date: November 16, 2013 09:39AM

HeyDitkaBreath Wrote:
> Mike Ditka Wrote:
> -----
> > Who gives a cold crap about the band??!!! This
> > wasn’t a concert or a parade. It was a
> FOOTBALL
> > GAME. You don’t see football players marching
> > across the stage during intermission of a band
> > concert. - See more at:
> >
>
> > and-kicked-field/#comment-111802
>
>
> You don't see football players at concerts at all.

Maybe the band should boycott the games next year. There are a lot of band parents attending the games and if they were no-shows these
thick skulled "athletes" would take the heat when attendance drops dramatically.

Posted by: Prez. Bush ()
Date: November 16, 2013 10:48AM

dts Wrote:
> HeyDitkaBreath Wrote:
> -----
> > Mike Ditka Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Who gives a cold crap about the band??!!!
> This
> > > wasn’t a concert or a parade. It was a
> > FOOTBALL
> > > GAME. You don’t see football players
> marching
> > > across the stage during intermission of a
> band
> > > concert. - See more at:
> > >
> >
>
> >
> > > and-kicked-field/#comment-111802
> >
> >
> > You don't see football players at concerts at
> all.
>
> Maybe the band should boycott the games next year.
> There are a lot of band parents attending the
> games and if they were no-shows these
> thick skulled "athletes" would take the heat when
> attendance drops dramatically.

Don't make idle threats, just do it already. Guaranteed it changes nothing. Easy way to fix a missing band, it's called an iPod hooked up to speakers.

Posted by: dts ()
Date: November 16, 2013 11:01AM

Prez. Bush Wrote:
> dts Wrote:
> -----
> > HeyDitkaBreath Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Mike Ditka Wrote:
> > >
> >
>
> >
> > > -----
> > > > Who gives a cold crap about the band??!!!
> > This
> > > > wasn’t a concert or a parade. It was a
> > > FOOTBALL
> > > > GAME. You don’t see football players
> > marching
> > > > across the stage during intermission of a
> > band
> > > > concert. - See more at:
> > > >
> > >
> >
>
> >
> > >
> > > > and-kicked-field/#comment-111802
> > >
> > >
> > > You don't see football players at concerts at
> > all.
> >
> > Maybe the band should boycott the games next
> year.
> > There are a lot of band parents attending the
> > games and if they were no-shows these
> > thick skulled "athletes" would take the heat
> when
> > attendance drops dramatically.
>
>
> Don't make idle threats, just do it already.
> Guaranteed it changes nothing. Easy way to fix a
> missing band, it's called an iPod hooked up to
> speakers.

Fuck football.

Posted by: Prez. Bush ()
Date: November 16, 2013 11:56AM

Good one DTS, is that band wit and intelligence responding? Band people are nothing but hypocrites.

Posted by: what's it all for? ()
Date: November 16, 2013 12:07PM

"Easy way to fix a missing band, it's called an iPod hooked up to speakers."

Maybe people can just stay home and watch the games, band concerts, etc. on their Iphones. It seems that any sense of community is fading anyway. Heck, lots of kids don't get socialized in school anymore and from the actions of the adults, it appears that they didn't get socialized very well either. We can be very happy with our technology fixes, right?

Posted by: Al Bundy ()
Date: November 16, 2013 03:18PM

I'm writing a book called, "The Importance of Football in World History".

Posted by: sc football player ()
Date: November 17, 2013 11:28AM

the blame should lie upon annandales athletic director

Posted by: Crisp ()
Date: November 17, 2013 12:21PM

sc football player Wrote:
> the blame should lie upon annandales athletic
> director

Sad thing is that Coach Scott is the assistant athletic director.

Posted by: Col. Ricketts ()
Date: November 17, 2013 12:27PM

How sad. The legacy of a once great football program has been reduced to this.

Posted by: Gen. Bradley ()
Date: November 17, 2013 01:51PM

The apology should be like When Patton apologized to the entire Third Army for slapping a soldier, in public with all the fans listening. Or just resign.

Posted by: Band geek ()
Date: November 17, 2013 06:20PM

Personally I'd like to skip the football games and just play concerts and go to marching band competitions. I don't care anymore about football and if they win or lose anymore than they care about the school music program. "Rah rah go team go....." please.

Posted by: ick ()
Date: November 17, 2013 07:39PM

coach got it wrong Wrote:
> I was a serious athlete in high school and at the
> NCAA Division 1 level in college (athletic
> scholarship).
>
> Band and band parents can be overly self absorbed,
> and often forget, no matter how proficient, they
> are not the stars of the show - most are there for
> the game - the game is competitive - and the team
> needs a reasonable amount of absence of
> distractions. Band parents and kids, just as with
> sports parents and kids, should keep their
> endeavors in perspective.
>
> But perspective is exactly why a school can't have
> a coach publicly berating band kids. He can't
> permit the team to yell at the band kids either.
> The band is in part there to assist in creating an
> atmosphere for the team, and and they should be
> respected. The coach should lead by example, and
> avoid acting like a bully or condoning it in his
> players. Heck, I could get away with way too much
> in my high school years given my athletic status,
> but bullying and berating the band, generally made
> up of pretty nice kids who work hard at something
> that is harder that it looks, was way
> out-of-bounds. And it didn't take much maturity
> to realize it.
>
> Any coach worth his while gets the AD or the
> principal to handle this problem anyway. He
> should be focusing on his team, not yelling at
> teen band members.
>
>
> One more thing. Why is Annandale so miserable in
> football? I assume it is demographics, but it is
> sizeable school that doesn't play the powerhouse
> Concorde teams. The kids have to be miserable
> with their won/loss record. It strikes me that
> this coach needs to retool his approach, and
> radically. Getting curb stomped is not only bad
> for the school and the team's morale, at some
> point it makes a somewhat dangerous and risky game
> even more so

are you kidding? you are an icky person. music, dance, cheerleading kids practice as much as football. music parents run concessions and sell spiritwear, there are so many others who round out the game events. so get over yourself.

Posted by: band should boycott games ()
Date: November 17, 2013 07:49PM

If I were in that Marching Band I would never want to play at a game ever again. Why bother if you are going to be treated like dirt and have coaches and parents yell at you? Let the school go through a season without a Band at Homecoming, Senior night, and playing the school song when things go well...

Make them crawl back, begging and pleading for the Band to get back on the field and in the stands. And if they don't, make some other plans for Friday nights!

Posted by: Tuba Boy ()
Date: November 17, 2013 07:53PM

band should boycott games Wrote:
> If I were in that Marching Band I would never want
> to play at a game ever again. Why bother if you
> are going to be treated like dirt and have coaches
> and parents yell at you?

Because you're a band geek and that's forever your place in life?

Posted by: titled and entitled ()
Date: November 17, 2013 08:01PM

"Sad thing is that Coach Scott is the assistant athletic director."

This sounds like a comment for the FCPS fiscal crisis thread. How many layers of directors, etc. do we need at schools? How much does this person get paid?

Posted by: Bande Apart ()
Date: November 18, 2013 12:24AM

Considering the football team's record, and the fact that the marching band should be in pretty good shape from their endeavors on the field, the band members should select one of their group to beat the shit out of the coach, and if any of the football team objects, then the rest of the band will kick their asses..

Posted by: and ()
Date: November 18, 2013 09:54AM

and...the sickness knows no bounds.

Posted by: a better idea ()
Date: November 18, 2013 10:02AM

The kids should be studying instead of wasting time with football and band.

Korean schools don't have these things and they kick US butt on test scores.

Date: November 18, 2013 10:37AM

I enjoy both football and marching band so I hate to see this devolve into insults between the two.

I was at the Westfield-Hayfield football game on Friday and interestingly the most serious injury appeared to occur during the marching band halftime show. A sousaphone player blew his knee out during maneuvers and had to be carted off the field. So yeah, the modern marching band members have to be at least semi-athletes with the drill being performed.

And I will say the marching band competitions I go to are just as well attended as football games - perhaps more so.

Posted by: more info ()
Date: November 18, 2013 10:39AM

Va. coach apologizing after kicking band off field
Virginia high school football coach apologizing after kicking band off the field during game
http://www.wtop.com/149/3506695/Va-coach-apologizing-after-kicking-band-off-field

ANNANDALE, Va. (AP) -- A northern Virginia football coach is apologizing to members of his high school's band for kicking them off the field.

The Annandale High School band, the Marching Atoms, were performing during half time on Nov. 8 when the school's football coach, Michael Scott, interrupted the program.

The student newspaper reported the band's set lasted about three minutes before Scott told his team to take the field and begin warming up. Scot then allegedly approached the band's director and told him to get the band off the field. The game was the season-ending match and the band was performing for the last time on its home field.

In a letter sent to parents Thursday the school's principal, Vincent Randazzo, apologized and said Scott will apologize to band members.

Posted by: Band Aid ()
Date: November 18, 2013 12:29PM

Al Bundy Wrote:
> I'm writing a book called, "The Importance of
> Football in World History".

Porbably as compelling as "The Importance of Marching Band in World History"!!!!

Posted by: Principal Finch ()
Date: November 18, 2013 12:39PM

Band Aid Wrote:
> Al Bundy Wrote:
> -----
> > I'm writing a book called, "The Importance of
> > Football in World History".
>
>
> Porbably as compelling as "The Importance of
> Marching Band in World History"!!!!

They are both right next to the copy of "The only thing we are required to give you is a diploma if you meet the requirements"

Pages: 12AllNext
Current Page: 1 of 2

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.