HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
South Lakes High Honor&IB classes
Posted by: 8th grader ()
Date: February 26, 2013 01:30PM

Do I need to take ALL Honor Classes at 9th? I wnt to try IB but dnt wnt 2 take ALL Honor classes. Thx

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: South Lakes High Honor&IB classes
Posted by: BEH ()
Date: February 26, 2013 02:53PM

I don't think you have to worry.

Posted by: Thomas More ()
Date: February 26, 2013 10:28PM

Avoid IB classes.

The homework will monopolize your life and you'll get little or no advance college credit for your trouble.

You don't need all honors. Take honors is the subjects you enjoy and do well in.

A nightly homework load of 4-6 hours per night isn't worth it.

College professors have no respect for high school studies and you'll have to do it all over again in college.

It's a racket whose purpose is to get the public college prez million dollar annual compensation.

Keep an even strain and try to survive with your sanity and credit rating intact.

Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: February 26, 2013 10:46PM

I believe that schools with the IB program have a coordinater in the school who can supply the information that you need.

My advice would be different than TM's. Take the hardest curriculum that you can AND STILL DO WELL, and still take classes that interest you and still have "a life". The capitalized part is the key here. Honors and AP/IB classes get bumps in GPAs. Schools say they don't keep class ranks but to an extent they do. However don't take an honors course with the assumption that a B+ there is the same as an A in the regular class. It may make no difference to your GPA, but it could make a difference to the college you are applying to.

Posted by: Young Curmudgeon ()
Date: February 26, 2013 11:34PM

8th grader Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Do I need to take ALL Honor Classes at 9th? I wnt
> to try IB but dnt wnt 2 take ALL Honor classes.
> Thx

First, 9th and 10th grade are both jokes. Honors classes are generally only slightly more advanced than the regular option. However, you can still try IB if you want to. You just have to select the Honors option in the areas you want to.

For example: Honors English 9 ----> Honors English 10 -----> IB I -----> IB II

You can get into IB if you have Honors English 10 but not Honors English 9. In science, I can't see a reason not to do Honors. The material is the same, the pace is the same, and the class isn't tough. Same with Chemistry. Physics and IB sciences vary.

History should be Honors, which leads into AP Government at South Lakes (not a tough class, I had a 96% in it). AP Gov goes into IB History of the Americas (HOA). After AP gov, it's discretionary whether or not to continue.

As for math, I think it varies again. If you like math, take Honors. I went on the SL track. If you're good, the HL track is a good choice. If you're not so good, you can go into regular and take IB Math Studies senior year (it's a total joke... it's the SL I curriculum a year later)

Posted by: Thomas More ()
Date: February 27, 2013 06:36AM

Bill.N. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I believe that schools with the IB program have a coordinater in the school who can supply the information that you need.<

The IB coordinator's job is to sell as many kids as possible on taking IB classes.

You'll need a rock of salt not just a grain of salt.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.