HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Indians Suing the Redskins over Team Name
Posted by: pgens ()
Date: August 12, 2006 03:07PM

To me there are two ideal solutions to this problem. Either:

1) Change the mascot from an indian to a potato. I'm not joking here... a red potato mascot will allow them to keep the team name as it de-couples the name from indians.

2) Tell the indians to fuck off because they are the conquered and the losers. Winners take the spoils, sorry.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Indians Suing the Redskins over Team Name
Posted by: burpgun ()
Date: August 12, 2006 05:14PM

The hypocrisy in using a racial slur to name the main sports team of the capital of a nation that sells itself as the principle purveyor of freedom and equality has always struck me as perfectly poignant - excuse all the alliteration.

Posted by: WashingToneLocian ()
Date: August 12, 2006 05:29PM

Part of the problem the Native Americans have with this effort is that they go after every team with a Native American name. While the Redskins name could be deemed offensive, there is nothing offensive about calling a team The Braves or The Warriors or even The Indians (though the frickin mascot is offensive). That's the same as saying The Cowboys offend ranchers or the 49ers offend members of the mining industry. It's just stupid.

That said, I think the Redskins need to lose the name, because it is seen by most as a racial slur. I would suggest going either with the Reds and use the lazy "R" as the insignia or go with the short-hand "Skins" and adopt an "S" logo. I personally think the team emblem looks outdated anyway.

Posted by: Tim45 ()
Date: August 12, 2006 05:40PM

You know how it is today, everyone has to find something to be offended about so they can be a victim. Maybe get on Oprah or Dr Phil.

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: August 12, 2006 05:41PM

The skins were the "braves" when they were in boston. That would be the only logical transition. If they change that name to anything else, I'll become a Ravens fan full-time...both teams suck equally so at least the number of wins won't change.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2006 05:42PM by RESton Peace.

Posted by: TrickiL ()
Date: August 12, 2006 06:16PM

My favorite team is the Cleveland Indians. I love their mascot, Chief wahoo. What would anybody have against Chief Wahoo?

Trickie

Posted by: A Large Black Man ()
Date: August 12, 2006 06:25PM

I am offended by the Cleveland Browns.

Date: August 12, 2006 06:27PM

The Atlanta Braves have taught me much about Native American culture.

For instance, did you know that in prehistorical America, Natives would try to bring on rallies during wars by having all their men wave tomahawks and shout "oh oh oh oh, oh oh ohoh oh".

Date: August 12, 2006 06:43PM

I've learned a lot of American history by going to Nationals' games. For instance, did you know a giant-headed Abraham Lincoln is faster than a giant-head George Washington?

Posted by: FerFUx ()
Date: August 12, 2006 07:59PM

Yeaaaah the team name is totally offensive. Im 3.14% Cherokee and I'm at Pi. offended by that name. If they can change the name Bullets to wizards because of DC Violence Lil Danny Snyder should change the name or at least the indian head logo to something else. They could take the Capital City theme of the Nationals, Capitals etc etc to its logical conclusion and just call the stupid team the W's. Or the Dlassas's Bitches as their record over the last decade would show.

Date: August 12, 2006 10:06PM

Maybe they could be called "The Washington Danny Boys" or "Danny's Little Bitches" or "The Washington Cash Cows." How's that?

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: August 13, 2006 04:21PM

im assuming you are talking about Pre-America Natives (they are not Native Americans as America wasn't founded yet). in anycase, fuck it... just finish the job and wipe the rest of them out. whiners.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: trekroner ()
Date: August 13, 2006 06:59PM

Nutty as it sounds, I've always wondered why people are so quick to assume that these team names were chosen with anything but than the utmost respect. Native Americans were looked upon as courageous warriors who fought to the death--hence their influence on modern sports teams. Would any organization consciously name their team in a derogatory manner? I'm thinking no. In fact, it's quite the opposite.

While times continually change and everyone finds new and creative ways to be offended, it's worth using a little common sense every now and then. The Redskins, the Braves, the Indians, the Chiefs, the Blackhawks--the list goes on. What they all have in common is that at some point in their origins, someone with influence had the idea to name their team after what they felt was an honorable, fierce group of people--and it wasn't to humiliate them.

As a Swedish-American, should I take offense at the Minnesota Vikings and start demanding that they change their name and mascot? I mean, for Chrissakes--Vikings never actually wore those stupid horned helmets. And they damn sure didn't wear purple...

Date: August 13, 2006 09:11PM

That's not totally accurate. I love the Redskins and don't think they should change thir name, but it has more to do with the team having had the name for 70+ years.

The Redskins did not choose their name because of an admiration for Native American warriors persay. They were originally known as the Braves, when they were in Boston. They moved to Fenway park and decided it would be kind of strange to have the name "braves" in the park the Red Sox played in, so they changed to Redskins in honor of the coach, who was half sioux.

I can find little doubt that the nickname was meant to ridicule native americans as "inferior". Look no further than Adolf Hitler's famed quote:

"There's only one duty: to Germanize this country by the immigration of Germans, and to look upon the natives as Redskins."

He was referring to conquering people and treating them as inferior beings...

Date: August 13, 2006 09:29PM

The team clearly didn't happen upon its name by accident (neither "Braves" nor "Redskins"), and the Sioux connection only further supports the opinion that they wouldn't deliberately saddle their own club with a name that knowingly disparages an ethnicity.

All major sports teams with Native American names were likely chosen with the best of intentions--that's the point that many people overlook in their haste to rename them.

Posted by: Hawaii ()
Date: August 14, 2006 01:19AM

trekroner Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nutty as it sounds, I've always wondered why
> people are so quick to assume that these team
> names were chosen with anything but than the
> utmost respect. Native Americans were looked upon
> as courageous warriors who fought to the
> death--hence their influence on modern sports
> teams. Would any organization consciously name
> their team in a derogatory manner? I'm thinking
> no. In fact, it's quite the opposite.
>
> While times continually change and everyone finds
> new and creative ways to be offended, it's worth
> using a little common sense every now and then.
> The Redskins, the Braves, the Indians, the Chiefs,
> the Blackhawks--the list goes on. What they all
> have in common is that at some point in their
> origins, someone with influence had the idea to
> name their team after what they felt was an
> honorable, fierce group of people--and it wasn't
> to humiliate them.
>
> As a Swedish-American, should I take offense at
> the Minnesota Vikings and start demanding that
> they change their name and mascot? I mean, for
> Chrissakes--Vikings never actually wore those
> stupid horned helmets. And they damn sure didn't
> wear purple...

Agreed, that's the way I always felt about it.

Date: August 14, 2006 01:20AM

please, i am a native american. i was born and raised in the usa, im native to america. the reservations are (technically) not part of the country. they are NOT americans, they were not americans, they were here before america existed as a country, they were conquered, they are pre-america natives.

pre-america natives should just shut up and assimilate into america, thus becoming americans, and stop the bitching and moaning about things that happened two centries ago. you dont see me crying about my ancestors being forced to move to the usa because they ran out of land to divide among the family. i mean, come on, my ancestors were forced to leave their own country because they had no land to farm so they became americans. who is setting aside land for me to farm and live on now? NOBODY! boo-fucking-hoo.

p.s. the whole politically correctness stuff is absolute bullshit. it seems that people cant deal with the truth a.k.a. reality anymore.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: Nik ()
Date: August 14, 2006 08:28AM

I'm a fatass, so I'm offended by the Oakland Athletics.
I'm against the war in Iraq, so I'm offended by the New England Patriots.
I'm atheist, so I'm offended by the Los Angeles Angels.
I'm a ninja, so I'm offended by the Pittsburgh Pirates.

Anybody can be offended by anything. They need to just STFU and deal with it.

----------------
WHERE'S THE BEEF

Date: August 14, 2006 10:23AM

Gravis you sir are an ignorant fuck. this message board is littered with your bull shit. the Americas are not a country! they are fucking continents! Native americans are native to America the continent not the country. pre america natives is the dumbest thing I have ever heard

Posted by: Adam ()
Date: August 14, 2006 11:28AM

Didn't they get sued in the past for the same thing, in the 90's i belive

Posted by: Joseph Stalin ()
Date: August 14, 2006 01:29PM

Would somebody PLEASE do something about the Cincinnati Reds and the Bost Red Sox!? They are offensive to dead Communists!

Date: August 14, 2006 08:05PM

jelly your peanut butter Wrote:
> the Americas are not a country! they are fucking
> continents! Native americans are native to
> America the continent not the country.

what do you call a person that is a citizen of the USA? i call them americans. what do you call someone from columbia? they are columbians. their country is in the americas but i dont think anyone would refer to them as americans. the continents were named AFTER pre-america natives lived here thus they were native to a continent/land that was not called america. they never named the land so it can only be refered to as pre-america.

> pre america natives is the dumbest thing I have ever heard

sure, but that is what you get for not picking a name. by the way, they have changed the PC term from Native Americans to American Indians, not to be confused with Indian-Americans. my term is more correct. sit and spin, bitch.

Date: August 14, 2006 09:41PM

Ok, calm down Gravis, you got spooge all over the wall.

Date: August 15, 2006 11:21AM

ok Gravis I'm sorry your right. It is ok that europeans came and stole all of the natives land. They never named it...so i geuss it wasnt theirs to begin with. Its not like they lived there or anything...

Posted by: MrDoctor ()
Date: August 15, 2006 06:37PM

I hear Snyder has the name Washington Warriors already

Posted by: FrancoB ()
Date: August 15, 2006 06:50PM

Gravis wrote:

what do you call someone from columbia? they are columbians

No Gravis, they are called Colombians and their country is Colombia; not to be confused with the District of Coumbia.

Posted by: francob ()
Date: August 15, 2006 06:51PM

District of Columbia...my bad!!!!!!

Date: August 16, 2006 10:41PM

FrancoB Wrote:
> No Gravis, they are called Colombians and their
> country is Colombia; not to be confused with the
> District of Coumbia.

psst... nobody cares.

Posted by: HAHAHAHAH ()
Date: August 17, 2006 12:15AM

THERE GOES THE CARECUP. \_/ EMPTY

Posted by: John Q ()
Date: August 17, 2006 12:32PM

Even if the Redskins has a sioux on staff, that still doesn't excuse the name. If they had a black coach instead, would they have been called the Washington Darkies? I doubt it.
Much as I hate to play into the PC bullshit, I actually do find the name to be rather distasteful. Calling your team the warriors or the braves is one thing. The term Redskin, however, is different. It refers to race (Red Skin), not bravery or any other admirable trait of America's original inhabitant. Therefore, the team's name is racist. It should be changed.
Lastly, I apologize for my use of the derogatory term darkies. I was just making a point.

Posted by: Big Johnny ()
Date: August 17, 2006 12:45PM

no it is totally uncalled for for them to be so biggoted and ignorant that it is actually making fun of our native ancestors because they had dark skin, do you really thing they would name a team something bad about the whites no of course because it is then who are the biggoted ones george gibbs and schneider are all very racist

Date: August 17, 2006 12:47PM

John Q Wrote:
> Even if the Redskins has a sioux on staff, that
> still doesn't excuse the name. If they had a black
> coach instead, would they have been called the
> Washington Darkies? I doubt it.
> Much as I hate to play into the PC bullshit, I
> actually do find the name to be rather
> distasteful. Calling your team the warriors or the
> braves is one thing. The term Redskin, however, is
> different. It refers to race (Red Skin), not
> bravery or any other admirable trait of America's
> original inhabitant. Therefore, the team's name is
> racist. It should be changed.
> Lastly, I apologize for my use of the derogatory
> term darkies. I was just making a point.

I agree that in the context of the times we currently live in, it can easily be viewed as an ethnic slur. But the question remains--does anyone really believe that was the intention? I mean, why would you name your own team anything other than something they'd be proud of?

Date: August 17, 2006 01:00PM

I see your point. And it probably wasn't meant to be offensive, which may or may not be the crux of the lawsuit. I don't know.
Nonetheless, I think the intention is irrelevant. It's a racist name. Why cling to a name that alienates a segment of the population who might otherwise support the team?

Date: August 17, 2006 01:04PM

For what it's worth, it's probably also safe to say that more people find the name "Washington Redskins" more offensive than those who did "Washington Bullets"--and yet, that name was changed.

I'm surprised more proponents of the name change haven't cited that fact more often...

Date: August 17, 2006 01:26PM

John Q Wrote:
> Why cling to a name that
> alienates a segment of the population who might
> otherwise support the team?

They won't support the team, plus there is a waiting list for season tickets already. And they cling to the name because no one wants to replace all their team clothing and accoutrements.

How about leaving all the colors and logos and just renaming the team to the Natives? That way it could mean anyone and the term is a factual one, not a racial one.

Posted by: Nik ()
Date: August 17, 2006 02:12PM

Big Johnny Wrote:
> no it is totally uncalled for for them to be so
> biggoted and ignorant that it is actually making
> fun of our native ancestors because they had dark
> skin, do you really thing they would name a team
> something bad about the whites no of course
> because it is then who are the biggoted ones
> george gibbs and schneider are all very racist

Pay attention to sports much?

Last time I checked, our head coach's name wasn't George. And since he's employed by the team, he's automatically racist?

Schneider is the catcher for the Nationals. Snyder is the Redskins' owner.

And there's one 'g' in bigoted.

So your argument is entirely invalid. Good day sir.

----------------
WHERE'S THE BEEF

Date: August 18, 2006 03:27PM

Hmmm....The Washington Natives.....that kind of has a ring to it.

Date: August 18, 2006 04:34PM

I'd buy it; but hearing the likes of George Michael and co. repeatedly say "...and the Natives are restless, folks!" would get old very fast.

Of course, it'd also be painfully ironic that the Washington Natives aren't really "native" to Washington at all, playing in scenic Landover, MD.

Date: August 18, 2006 05:37PM

trekroner Wrote:
> it's probably also safe to
> say that more people find the name "Washington
> Redskins" more offensive than those who did
> "Washington Bullets"--and yet, that name was
> changed.

was the decision to change it really because it was offensive to people or really just people/gov. officials in D.C. because it correlated D.C. with people getting shot? however, a lot of people do get shot in D.C. :)

Date: August 18, 2006 06:26PM

Fuck those american indians or indian americans whatever those native american people
i can say this because i am 50% so fuck them! and do not mess with my football teams name i will scalp you all

Posted by: Dirty Sanchez ()
Date: August 19, 2006 10:26AM

It's time we changed the name to the Washington Spooks. Or the Washington Gooks. Or the Washington Gook Spook Spics. That'll fix it.

Date: August 19, 2006 11:19AM

what is a spook

edit: nevermind
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=spook

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2006 11:20AM by MrDoctor.

Date: August 19, 2006 04:01PM

The Washington Cold War Era Spies!?!

Posted by: Jester ()
Date: August 19, 2006 06:06PM

We stole the Indians land, wrote up worthless treaties for them that we never paid, and then fenced them in like animals on junk land. Why should we start being nice to them now.

In 1887, as Indian reservations were being broken up and the federal government began leasing or selling the oil, mineral, grazing and timber resources on the Indians' land to private developers, Congress passed an act allotting modest paybacks to the Indians who were the former occupants.

"An ongoing, decade-long tribal lawsuit centers on the BIA, which doles out in small amounts about $500 million a year of the money owed to the Indians. The BIA's so-called "trust fund," now loaded with an undistributed $3 billion, has cheated hundreds of thousands of Indians for decades of $137 billion in royalties from the natural resource leases.

"In 1994 Congress finally passed the American Indian Trust Reform Management Act, and in court in Washington since 1996 the BIA has been forced to concede that it has mislaid thousands of files and lost track of unpaid beneficiaries. The frequently exasterated federal judge hearing the case, Royce Lamberth, has called the agency's incompetent conduct "the gold standard for mismanagement by the federal government for more than a century."

Date: August 19, 2006 07:13PM

Jester-

Good point. Makes you wonder why the Native Americans aren't using more time and energy trying to rectify that instead of squandering time and energy trying to get the Florida State Seminoles to change their name when it isn't anymore offensive than the Notre Dame Fighting Irish (drunken micks) or the OU Sooners (land squatters and cheaters).

Date: August 19, 2006 08:49PM

The Seminole Tribe of Florida fully endorses FSU's use of the name.

http://www.fsu.edu/~univrel/seminoles/pages/timeline.html

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: August 19, 2006 09:04PM

Ok, then from now on it's the Washington Seminoles. Problem solved.

Date: August 19, 2006 09:21PM

Perfect, they already stole the chant...

Date: August 19, 2006 09:22PM

My bad, that's the Atlanta Braves.

Date: August 19, 2006 09:25PM

The Washington Algonkians would be appropriate in that vain, if it didn't sound like a retard kid trying to talk..

Date: August 19, 2006 10:02PM

They could be the Washington Mohawks, and the mascot could be the old-school Riggo w/ his mohawk
Attachments:
img6099254.jpg

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: August 20, 2006 07:52PM

That should be it. And they wont have to change the uniform

Date: August 20, 2006 09:04PM

Instead of some dumbass "mascot" running around in a head-dress, Snyder could pay Riggo to go up into the crowd getting people all pumped the fuck out. It's a fuckin no-brainer. (I ain't a Skins fan but this idea could work in an effective way)

Date: August 20, 2006 10:28PM

Having gone to many a game at FedEx, I don't think anyone needs pumping up.

Date: August 20, 2006 10:47PM

Having gone to many a game at FedEx, I don't think anyone needs pumping up.

It's nothing at all like The Vet used to be, DC fans are fairly lame. I've been to maybe 12 games at FedEx since 98 and that crowd is not as pumped up as other NFL stadiums I've been to. I don't blame it on the fans though, I blame it on Daniel Snyder for pricing out the real fans in favor of douchebags that can affod to spend 80+ bucks on a single game.

Posted by: just because ()
Date: February 09, 2013 06:02PM

Since people dont read old Threads, just figure I would help bandwidth. LOL

Posted by: 4j6Jv ()
Date: February 09, 2013 07:01PM

burpgun Wrote:
> The hypocrisy in using a racial slur to name the
> main sports team of the capital of a nation that
> sells itself as the principle purveyor of freedom
> and equality has always struck me as perfectly
> poignant - excuse all the alliteration.

You rock, Burp!

But let's not fetget that it's really called the Distik of Corruption. I mean, that scumbag crack-head Barry gets elected over and over and over again?

Whitney be dead for a year and this douche is still alive and in office? Disgust!

BTW -- if they were called the Niggerskins, we would not be having this discussion...

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.