HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Dulles Airplane Noise - Last Night (11/29/08) around 2 AM
Posted by: AnyWhereBut Here ()
Date: November 29, 2008 08:33AM

We live in Chantilly Highlands right next to Dulles. I am pretty used to the aircraft noise and am not complaining about the noise in general - that is the sound of money flowing into the area.

However, last night around 2 AM I thought a fricking rocket was going off -I was dead asleep and it sounded like an Atlas rocket was coming over the house. A VERY loud and low rumbling engine noise.

Anyone have any ideas of what would make this noise - or did you hear it also?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dulles Airplane Noise - Last Night (11/29/08) around 2 AM
Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: November 29, 2008 08:56AM

if it truly sounded like you claim it did, methinks it was a supersonic/hypersonic shock wave. mayhap a low altitude jet?

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: Berdhuis ()
Date: November 29, 2008 09:02AM

It was either a 727 or an older 747-200 cargo jet making an approach on the East-West runway. That flight path would come pretty close, if not exactly, right overhead Chantilly Highlands.

Posted by: tubby ()
Date: November 29, 2008 09:46AM

Probably some F-16 driver went for a drunken joyride....and lit the burner right over your house.

Posted by: AnywhereBut Here ()
Date: November 29, 2008 10:26AM

Berdhuis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It was either a 727 or an older 747-200 cargo jet
> making an approach on the East-West runway. That
> flight path would come pretty close, if not
> exactly, right overhead Chantilly Highlands.

Could have been just that - I doubt it was supersonic jet or a drunken F-16 (please...) but the new runway does line up directly with our house...when the wind is really blowing and they land on the east-west they come right over the house, low and loud - but not THAT loud.

It also lasted for a long time..an older jet taking off??? I was mostly trying to see if anyone else heard it....

Date: November 29, 2008 10:36AM

Every once in a while you see one of those older Aeroflot jets flying into Dulles. Maybe it was an international flight that came in late.

Posted by: m4ilm4n ()
Date: November 29, 2008 11:08AM

Could've been one of the older Tupolevs for Aeroflot; that and the VC-10 the RAF brings in are the loudest planes there since the Concorde retired.

Posted by: I heard it ()
Date: November 29, 2008 11:41AM

I heard the same thing you did. I was still awake and couldn't figure out what the noise could be because with a low flying plane we can generally feel a bit of vibration at our house but this time it was just a loud noise that went on a lot longer than a normal plane usually does. I live in Foxfield, off Stringfellow road. I grew up in this area and am used to plane noises, but last night was definitely different.

Posted by: My ears!!! ()
Date: November 29, 2008 01:11PM

I heard the same thing! We live in Sterling and have the usual Dulles noise, but this noise last night was all together different from anything I've ever experienced!! I honestly thought a plane was going to land on our house.

I was just falling asleep when it started. I agree with "I heard it", the sound did last much longer than a normal plane. Seems like those of us that heard it cover a fairly large distance. Interesting.

Posted by: Awakened ()
Date: November 29, 2008 02:43PM

I heard it. I was still awake. It was pretty darn loud. It was too dark to see what it was though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2008 02:43PM by Awakened.

Posted by: When will it end ()
Date: November 29, 2008 03:48PM

I was in Chantilly picking up my daughter at that time from a party and was outside when I heard it. I actually said to one of the guys "what the hell was that???" It was VERY loud, rumbling and in my opinion sounded alot like either one of the larger jets taking off (long way down the runway) or either an afterburner. (my mom lives next to Oceana Naval Air Station in Va. Beach) and it sounded just like when the pilots run the afterburners at night while the jet is still on the ground. If anyone finds out what it was, i'd be curious to know. I'll try calling Dulles to see if I can find out and post what i'm told.

Posted by: When will it end ()
Date: November 29, 2008 04:04PM

Ok I called Dulles and spoke with one of the guys there. He said that flights are 24 hrs there and its possible that it was a Cargo jet such as Fedex either landing or taking off, he said that alot of times too is with the larger jets, they use whats called "High Power Thrust Reversers" which are used to slow the plane down and typically they will make a loud rumbling noise. He said that if it were Military they would have known about it, and there were no Military jets coming in or out of Dulles last night at that time, there was also no accidents or problems at that time.

Hope this helps.
L.

Posted by: Spacy ()
Date: November 29, 2008 06:29PM

Concord ghost flight.

Posted by: ferfux ()
Date: November 29, 2008 06:42PM

Ghoooooost Riders in the Skyeeeee yipee Kii -aaaaay

Posted by: Bob ()
Date: November 29, 2008 09:11PM

On cold nights, at my parent's house in Vienna, near Wolftrap Farm Park, you can hear a distant rumble off in the direction of Dulles.

I've always assumed it was the fedex jumbo jets taking off or landing.

I'm guessing the wind direction and air pressure/temperature was just right to direct the sound in your direction last night.

Date: November 29, 2008 09:36PM

It might have been a FedEx jet with the air pressure/temperature being just right - but in my 7+ years of living here I had never heard it that loud and long...dang, I don't get enough sleep as it is and this thing woke me up with a start...ugh

Posted by: Vroom ()
Date: November 29, 2008 10:46PM

This noise has happened before always in the middle of the night. You wake up thinking the space shuttle has just taken off. There is plenty of vibration where I live. Box-haulers take off all the time at Dulles during the night, so I don't believe the Fed-ex expanation. Don't think it is military either, but if it is, don't expect Dulles to tell you.

Date: November 29, 2008 10:53PM

m4ilm4n Wrote:
> Could've been one of the older Tupolevs for
> Aeroflot; that and the VC-10 the RAF brings in are
> the loudest planes there since the Concorde
> retired.

Actually, Aeroflot used to fly the TU-154 out of Dulles to Moscow with a refuel in Shannon, Ireland in the early 90's. They upgraded to an Airbus A-310 in the mid 90's - which did not require a refuel in Ireland, it flew non-stop from Dulles to Moscow. Now Aeroflot flies a Boeing 767 non-stop from Dulles to Moscow.

About three times a year, either a Russian or Ukrainian cargo company flies into Dulles using an Antonov An-124, which is pretty huge and loud. Maybe it was an Antonov 124.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2008 11:22PM by Berdhuis.

Date: November 29, 2008 11:49PM

Anyone know of an on-line database that tracks all of the flights into and out of IAD - Airlines.net or something?

There has to be a on-line resource that we can tap to check this out!

Anyone?

Date: November 30, 2008 12:28AM

Berdhuis Wrote:

>
> About three times a year, either a Russian or
> Ukrainian cargo company flies into Dulles using an
> Antonov An-124, which is pretty huge and loud.
> Maybe it was an Antonov 124.

This is the bastard! I've seen this on occasion. It looks like it is from another planet!

http://www.tc.gc.ca/CivilAviation/International/Technical/Images/Antonov-124.JPG

It's so big and has such an odd appearance when landing, it reminds me of a B-52 or C-130.

Date: November 30, 2008 01:47AM

WashingToneLocian Wrote:
>
> This is the bastard! I've seen this on occasion.
> It looks like it is from another planet!
>
> http://www.tc.gc.ca/CivilAviation/International/Te
> chnical/Images/Antonov-124.JPG
>
> It's so big and has such an odd appearance when
> landing, it reminds me of a B-52 or C-130.

That resembles a C-5 more than the prop-driven C-130.

Posted by: Guest ()
Date: November 30, 2008 03:14AM

AnyWhereBut Here Wrote:
> Anyone know of an on-line database that tracks all
> of the flights into and out of IAD - Airlines.net
> or something?
>
> There has to be a on-line resource that we can tap
> to check this out!
>
> Anyone?

http://flightaware.com

Airlines/Flt #/Aircraft/Origin/Time of Arrival

Quest Diagnostics/LBQ920/Beechcraft Baron 58/Roanoke Rgnl (KROA)/Sat 03:29AM EST
Quest Diagnostics/LBQ940/Beechcraft Baron 58/Pottstown Limerick (KPTW)/Sat 03:09AM EST
Quest Diagnostics/LBQ826/Pilatus PC-12/Gwinnett County (KLZU)/Sat 02:07AM EST
Taca International Airlines/TAI598/Airbus A319/ La Aurora (MGGT)/Sat 02:00AM EST
Quest Diagnostics/LBQ920/Beechcraft Baron 58/Allegheny County (KAGC)/Sat 01:06AM EST
Northwest Airlines/NWA9930/Airbus A319/Lester B. Pearson Intl (CYYZ)/Sat 01:00AM EST
Taca International Airlines/TAI590/Airbus A319/El Salvador Int'l (MSLP)/Sat 12:38AM EST

Airlines/Flt #/Aircraft/Destination/Time of Departure

Taca International Airlines/TAI591/Airbus A319/El Salvador Int'l (MSLP)/Sat 04:23AM EST
Quest Diagnostics/LBQ940/Beechcraft Baron 58/Pottstown Limerick (KPTW)/Sat 04:02AM EST
Quest Diagnostics/LBQ920/Beechcraft Baron 58/Reading Rgnl (KRDG)/Sat 03:32AM EST
Taca International Airlines/TAI599/Airbus A319/La Aurora (MGGT)/Sat 02:52AM EST
Quest Diagnostics/ LBQ825/Pilatus PC-12/Reading Rgnl (KRDG)/Sat 02:27AM EST
Quest Diagnostics/ LBQ920/Beechcraft Baron 58/Roanoke Rgnl (KROA)/Sat 01:48AM EST

November 7 was the last time an AN-124 was in town, Polet 572.

The only military jets in the air locally last night were a pair of F-15s and a tanker. They all went home at 11pm, the tanker to Bangor, ME and the fighters to Langley. Another pair of F-15s and a tanker returned around 6am.

It was probably the Taca flight. The others are props.

Date: November 30, 2008 03:37AM

Guest Wrote:
> The only military jets in the air locally last
> night were a pair of F-15s and a tanker. They
> all went home at 11pm, the tanker to Bangor, ME
> and the fighters to Langley. Another pair of
> F-15s and a tanker returned around 6am.

and what if it wasnt a military jet? oh yeah,,, i got a picture, barely.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540
Attachments:
fedex_plane.jpg

Date: November 30, 2008 04:26AM

AnyWhereBut Here Wrote:
> We live in Chantilly Highlands right next to
> Dulles. I am pretty used to the aircraft noise
> and am not complaining about the noise in general
> - that is the sound of money flowing into the
> area.
>
> However, last night around 2 AM I thought a
> fricking rocket was going off -I was dead asleep
> and it sounded like an Atlas rocket was coming
> over the house. A VERY loud and low rumbling
> engine noise.
>
> Anyone have any ideas of what would make this
> noise - or did you hear it also?

Ummm, excuse me fuck head, but you bought your McMansion directly in the Dulles flight path....you WILL hear unusual noises for ther rest of your fucking life.

Unless, of course.....

Tell you what....I'm a half-assed real estate investor.....I'll give you 50K for the dump sight unseen.

Posted by: spunky ()
Date: November 30, 2008 04:40AM

tubby, how many deals have you made like that?

Date: November 30, 2008 04:50AM

spunky Wrote:
> tubby, how many deals have you made like that?

I hear you're a hottie, spunk, what say we lay down and discuss investment strategies?

Posted by: ITRADE ()
Date: November 30, 2008 08:17AM

My guess is that its an older model 72 or 747 or DC9 taking off. At my parents house in San Diego, I hear the same rumbling rather often. At first I thought it was static engine testing at NAS North Island or MCAS Miramar. It might be, but I have never been able to pinpoint it. IIRC, they dont do static engine testing at Dulles, so that would mean only active aircaft.

I doubt its reverse thrusters as the thrusting is only 5 or 7 seconds in duration; the noise I've heard is more like 30 seconds in duration which is consistent with an aircraft roll and departure.

Date: November 30, 2008 10:03AM

Humidity and wind direction would have a noticeable impact on any jet noise coming from Dulles. However, as I recall, the night in question was not particularly humid. Of course, I was snug in bed at that hour, so maybe someone awake can verify the humidity?

Now, if it was the TACA flight on an A-319, there wouldn't be any noticeable rumbling. The A-319 is a small jet - not wide body and only two engines. The cargo hold is all bulk, no cans. Inbound luggage is mostly cheese (oily wet, heavy suitcases!), outbound is mostly electronics.

I've only noticed rumbling coming from 747's. Sometimes there are government cargo flights on older 747-200's which depart in the dead of night - they may or may not be logged for public knowledge.

Posted by: Troll Eater ()
Date: November 30, 2008 10:53AM

tubby Wrote:
> AnyWhereBut Here Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > We live in Chantilly Highlands right next to
> > Dulles. I am pretty used to the aircraft noise
> > and am not complaining about the noise in
> general
> > - that is the sound of money flowing into the
> > area.
> >
> > However, last night around 2 AM I thought a
> > fricking rocket was going off -I was dead
> asleep
> > and it sounded like an Atlas rocket was coming
> > over the house. A VERY loud and low rumbling
> > engine noise.
> >
> > Anyone have any ideas of what would make this
> > noise - or did you hear it also?
>
> Ummm, excuse me fuck head, but you bought your
> McMansion directly in the Dulles flight
> path....you WILL hear unusual noises for ther rest
> of your fucking life.
>
> Unless, of course.....
>
> Tell you what....I'm a half-assed real estate
> investor.....I'll give you 50K for the dump sight
> unseen.

Uh,a McMansion? This is Chantilly Highlands we are talking about, not Loudoun....

Date: November 30, 2008 11:58AM

A-319 = at least Stage III....you're barely going to hear it unless you are literally right under it and it is within 2500 feet of you.

Date: November 30, 2008 12:58PM

Given the info so far, I'd lean towards the RAF VC-10 liaison flight by 101 Squadron to Brize Norton, although the VC-10s are due to be replaced by Airbus A330 MRTTs. It certainly wasn't any of the flights listed above; the Pilatus and Beechcraft are small turboprops and the A-319 as noted uses quiet Gen-3 high-bypass turbofans.

Date: November 30, 2008 01:05PM

I'm not familiar with the RAF VC-10 flights out of Dulles. The only military I've ever witnessed are the German Luftwaffe C-130's. What else do you know about these RAF flights? I'm curious now....

Date: November 30, 2008 02:16PM

i like this thread.

Date: November 30, 2008 03:45PM

Actually, the Luftwaffe flies Transall C-160s (easy to spot the difference - C130s are four-engine, C160s are two-engine). NATO pilots have trained out at Nellis AFB since the weather in Europe usually sucks rocks, and the Luftwaffe have (or had) an office at Dulles to process their pilots thru.

It's been a while since I've seen an RAF VC-10, so I don't know if they're still around but they're the loudest aircraft outside of the Concorde I ever saw at Dulles. Based upon the descriptions above, I'm guessing they heard a VC-10 because anything else that loud is usually gone in fifteen or twenty seconds, whereas the VC-10 just kind of hangs there for a minute or so.

On rare occasions, Air Mobility Command have had C-5 Galaxies (I assume out of Dover) use Dulles for touch-and-go training, but since the local traffic is way up I haven't seen them lately either, and the C-5's turbines have a very distinct whine (as opposed to a roar).

The weirdest plane I've seen recently at Dulles has to be the Piaggio Avanti; sounds like a buzzsaw. It's possible the one I've seen is with the Italian Air Force, but I've never gotten to see the registration number clearly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piaggio_P.180_Avanti

Posted by: IAD ()
Date: November 30, 2008 03:59PM

m4ilm4n Wrote:
> and the Luftwaffe
> have (or had) an office at Dulles to process their
> pilots thru.

The Luftwaffe building still exists at Dulles on the corner of Autopilot and Aviation.

Date: November 30, 2008 05:42PM

m4ilm4n Wrote:
> Actually, the Luftwaffe flies Transall C-160s
> (easy to spot the difference - C130s are
> four-engine, C160s are two-engine)...

Thanks for the correction - learn something new everyday!

Posted by: FLY ()
Date: November 30, 2008 10:05PM

m4ilm4n Wrote:
> four-engine, C160s are two-engine). NATO pilots
> have trained out at Nellis AFB since the weather
> in Europe usually sucks rocks, and the Luftwaffe
> pilots thru.
>
> It's been a while since I've seen an RAF VC-10, so
> I don't know if they're still around but they're
> the loudest aircraft outside of the Concorde I
> ever saw at Dulles. Based upon the descriptions
> above, I'm guessing they heard a VC-10 because
> anything else that loud is usually gone in fifteen
> or twenty seconds, whereas the VC-10 just kind of
> hangs there for a minute or so.
>
> On rare occasions, Air Mobility Command have had
> C-5 Galaxies (I assume out of Dover) use Dulles
> for touch-and-go training, but since the local
> traffic is way up I haven't seen them lately
> either, and the C-5's turbines have a very
> distinct whine (as opposed to a roar).
>
> The weirdest plane I've seen recently at Dulles
> has to be the Piaggio Avanti; sounds like a
> buzzsaw. It's possible the one I've seen is with
> the Italian Air Force, but I've never gotten to
> see the registration number clearly.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piaggio_P.180_Avanti

This is probably the best bet. It can't be any of the flights on the list above, which is not all-inclusive, BTW. This noise is not "quick." It builds up and lingers, like the space shuttle as someone said above. It would be kind of cool to find out what it is and when the next schedule departure/landing (or whatever it is) is planned. Judging by the commotion, it might be neat to watch the take-off/landing from the NASM access road off Rt. 28.

Date: November 30, 2008 10:19PM

Yes, it would. But I'm thinking still that it was something like a 747-200 from Evergreen

Posted by: Snappy ()
Date: November 30, 2008 10:36PM

Evergreen has been out of business a while, hasn't it?

Date: November 30, 2008 10:42PM

m4ilm4n Wrote:
> four-engine, C160s are two-engine). NATO pilots
> have trained out at Nellis AFB since the weather
> in Europe usually sucks rocks, and the Luftwaffe
> pilots thru.

The Luftwaffe also has pilots living in group homes up in the Cathedral Heights/Friendship Heights area. I went to a party at one in 1993. I think those cargo planes are used to bring stuff in for the embassy staff like food and beers and other stuff that they can't get here (or to get it here "duty free" or something).

The British pilots used to stay at the Westpark Hotel, and they'd go to Mr Smith's across the street and get the newest guy on the crew drunk while the bartnenders would put water in the rest of the crew's shots. They'd all act drunk so the new guy wouldn't catch on until the morning when they had to be flight ready at 6am and he was the only one too hungover to function (they let him sleep it off on the return trip.)

Date: December 01, 2008 10:07AM

Snappy Wrote:
> Evergreen has been out of business a while, hasn't
> it?

I haven't heard that, do you have any scoop? The cargo company in question (if it was a cargo flight) could also have been Kalitta - I've worked their flights out of Dulles before. They for sure fly older, really loud, beat up, held-together-by-faith 747-200's. Heck, one of them cracked in half in Brussels during takeoff last May - fortunately that happened before lift-off. None were killed, thank God! Apparently the crew lost faith....

Date: December 01, 2008 11:11AM

LOL. Certainly a better result than the El Al Cargo jet that bought the farm in Amsterdam several years ago.

Date: December 01, 2008 06:28PM

Date: December 01, 2008 07:33PM

FLY Wrote:
> It would be kind of cool
> to find out what it is and when the next schedule
> departure/landing (or whatever it is) is planned.
> Judging by the commotion, it might be neat to
> watch the take-off/landing from the NASM access
> road off Rt. 28.

I've got some links somewhere to the "approved" planewatching locations around Dulles; I'll see if I can find them, as MWAA police can get a little twitchy, I hear.

Date: December 01, 2008 07:49PM

Berdhuis Wrote:
> Snappy Wrote:
> -----
> > Evergreen has been out of business a while,
> hasn't
> > it?
>
>
> I haven't heard that, do you have any scoop? The
> cargo company in question (if it was a cargo
> flight) could also have been Kalitta - I've worked
> their flights out of Dulles before. They for sure
> fly older, really loud, beat up,
> held-together-by-faith 747-200's. Heck, one of
> them cracked in half in Brussels during takeoff
> last May - fortunately that happened before
> lift-off. None were killed, thank God! Apparently
> the crew lost faith..

We live within a mile or so of the runway at Dulles...within the "1-Mile 60 LDN Buffer" for sure...that being said, I have a history of having planes drop out of the sky with a mile or so of where I live. Seriously.

I grew up in Long Beach, CA and lived in three different places during the 40-years I lived in the area - Yup, three different plane accidents. Mostly small planes from Long Beach Airport auguring into buildings, etc.

When we moved to a small town in the rural mountains of southwest Colorado, a twin engine plane landed in the field next to our house.

I even witnessed a plane crash at the 1978 Mountain Aire Concert at Calaveras County Fairgrounds. [Great show by the way - Jackson Brown, Jimmy Buffett and Warren Zeavon. When the plane crashed (part of the Franklin Flying Circus - still not sure if it was staged or not) everybody got up and ran over to the wreckage a 1/2 mile away. So, my bud and I went down to the open front row center seats and smoked a jay with Russ Kunkel of Jackson Browne's band....those were the days...]

A jet carrying In-N-Out Executives crashed near where I worked in Newport Beach.

NOW do you see why I wake up with a start when it sounds like the plane is coming through the window?????

:)

Date: December 01, 2008 07:51PM

Here's a link to the Dulles spotting guide (PDF) put together by the Washington Baltimore Spotters Group, updated about a week ago, offering radio frequencies, spotting locations, recommended camera setups, and operations summary.

I notice it lists a UPS DC8 - there's a possible candidate for the late-night noise.

http://www.washbaltspotters.net/files/iadspots.pdf

Note the big red statement at the lower left of page 1. My understanding is that MWAA police recognize spotters at the locations listed only, and going anywhere else will get you a nice trip to the interrogation room (and screw up the spotting deal to boot). Near as I can figure, though, it applies to locations on or immediately adjacent to airport property. There are a few spots outside of the perimeter that are pretty good.

Posted by: IAD ()
Date: December 01, 2008 08:18PM

^ Thank you for using our guide, I was just about to post it. I am a member of the Washington Baltimore Spotters Group.

Virtually all of the traffic at Dulles can be covered from either the top of the daily parking garages or the Udvar-Hazy Center parking lot.

Date: December 01, 2008 09:47PM

tubby Wrote:
> spunky Wrote:
> -----
> > tubby, how many deals have you made like that?
>
>
> I hear you're a hottie, spunk, what say we lay
> down and discuss investment strategies?

TUBBY...?

R U talking about horizontal dancing and talking business at the same time?

U must be overdosed on viagra !

Whoever told you I was a hottie was lying through their false teeth.

You should know better then to believe what people say, and only half of what you see.

TUBBY...TUBBY...TUBBY! Who R U?

Date: December 02, 2008 07:29PM

IAD Wrote:
> ^ Thank you for using our guide, I was just about
> to post it. I am a member of the Washington
> Baltimore Spotters Group.
>

You guys put a lot of work into gathering that info, glad to help disseminate it.

Posted by: 496 ()
Date: December 03, 2008 09:25AM

This thread = +1

Date: December 03, 2008 06:56PM

spunky Wrote:
> tubby Wrote:
> -----
> > spunky Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > tubby, how many deals have you made like
> that?
> >
> >
> > I hear you're a hottie, spunk, what say we lay
> > down and discuss investment strategies?
>
>
> TUBBY...?
>
> R U talking about horizontal dancing and talking
> business at the same time?
>
> U must be overdosed on viagra !
>
> Whoever told you I was a hottie was lying through
> their false teeth.
>
> You should know better then to believe what people
> say, and only half of what you see.
>
> TUBBY...TUBBY...TUBBY! Who R U?

Sorry spunky, that was an impostor.....I don't talk like that.

Say, I saw this on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mikoyan-Gurevich-MiG-21_W0QQitemZ270309302387QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Aircraft?hash=item270309302387&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=72%3A64%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

Wow, that's cheap for a jet fighter! I wonder if I could figure out how to fly that thing? Man, I could buzz peoples' houses and break the windows with my very own sonic boom!

Date: December 03, 2008 08:41PM

Well tubby have you ever flown b4? If not and you have a deathwish it's a 1-seater and it seems like it's on sale!

I think if that's what you want then that's what you should get, but a cessna would be more practical and carry more people. Plus when you throw-up in a cessna someone can help you but your solo in a 1-seater jet doing flips, and breaking the sound barrier.

Don't forget the jet fuel expense, maintenance and storage. Personally I think a Submarine would be a better investment. Why you ask, well I'll tell you. I figure that being in the ocean for 12/21/2012 will help absord the impact hopefully of whatever we are to encounter, be it shifting of magnetic poles or whatnot.

Don't forget to take me with you though in your yellow submarine!

The other option would be caves, which is how previous survivers endured the planet changes. This will be worse because we have since polluted our rivers and streams and with Nuclear plants there will be toxic areas, hot areas. That entire
area around Yellow stone where the mega volcanoe is, you want to get as far away from that area as possible, In addition to the military and chemical arsenal in Pine Ridge SD and Yellow Stone that will be the worse area to be in.

You just asked a simple little question and I ran with it didn't I? Well, I would hate it if I didn't share it with you and every bit of it happened, which I can almost promise you.

Posted by: trogdor! ()
Date: December 03, 2008 10:49PM

AnyWhereBut Here Wrote:
> We live in Chantilly Highlands right next to
> Dulles. I am pretty used to the aircraft noise
> and am not complaining about the noise in general
> - that is the sound of money flowing into the
> area.
>
> However, last night around 2 AM I thought a
> fricking rocket was going off -I was dead asleep
> and it sounded like an Atlas rocket was coming
> over the house. A VERY loud and low rumbling
> engine noise.
>
> Anyone have any ideas of what would make this
> noise - or did you hear it also?

Sounds like you may be enjoying the new runway?

Date: December 03, 2008 10:52PM

trogdor! Wrote:
>
> Sounds like you may be enjoying the new runway?

the new runway isn't even close to Chantilly Highlands at all. several, several miles away. The runway is practically in Ashburn.

Posted by: 496 ()
Date: December 04, 2008 08:37AM

"Personally I think a Submarine would be a better investment. Why you ask, well I'll tell you. I figure that being in the ocean for 12/21/2012 will help absord the impact hopefully of whatever we are to encounter, be it shifting of magnetic poles or what not."
Attachments:
tinfoil.bmp

Posted by: mottto ()
Date: December 04, 2008 05:53PM

Probably your Afghani neighbors farting

Date: December 04, 2008 06:57PM

Check out 12/21/2012 on the Mayan calendar for yourself. Don't believe me.

496-is that a real picture of you?

Date: December 04, 2008 07:10PM

tubby Wrote:

> Say, I saw this on ebay:
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mikoyan-Gurevich-Mi
> G-21_W0QQitemZ270309302387QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotor
> s_Aircraft?hash=item270309302387&_trksid=p4506.c0.
> m245&_trkparms=72%3A64%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A
> 1318
>
> Wow, that's cheap for a jet fighter! I wonder if
> I could figure out how to fly that thing? Man, I
> could buzz peoples' houses and break the windows
> with my very own sonic boom!

Ohhhh, yeah! Get the MiG-21, Tubby, do it! Do it and fly it around Chantilly Highlands all night! That'd be perfect target practice for the Blackhawks that prowl around these skies periodically to intercept hijacked airliners, and perfect evasion practice for you - budding pilot that you are!

Date: December 04, 2008 07:32PM

Awakened Wrote:
> trogdor! Wrote:
> -----
> >
> > Sounds like you may be enjoying the new runway?
>
> the new runway isn't even close to Chantilly
> Highlands at all. several, several miles away. The
> runway is practically in Ashburn.

Couldn't they be banking over Chantilly Highlands to make a landing on 1L? That seems like a huge pain compared to landing on 19C because of the huge taxi back to the terminal, but hey...maybe the rich people up in Ashburn are more "sensitive" (read: politically connected) to the noise late at night than the riff-raff in Chantilly:
Attachments:
1LDullesPath.jpg

Date: December 05, 2008 12:50AM

trogdor! Wrote:
> Awakened Wrote:
> -----
> > trogdor! Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > >
> > > Sounds like you may be enjoying the new
> runway?
> >
> > the new runway isn't even close to Chantilly
> > Highlands at all. several, several miles away.
> The
> > runway is practically in Ashburn.
>
> Couldn't they be banking over Chantilly Highlands
> to make a landing on 1L? That seems like a huge
> pain compared to landing on 19C because of the
> huge taxi back to the terminal, but hey...maybe
> the rich people up in Ashburn are more "sensitive"
> (read: politically connected) to the noise late at
> night than the riff-raff in Chantilly:

I don't know if you've ever flown into Dulles, but they fly way out 10 or 20 miles to make an approach on a northerly runway when coming in from the north, they wouldn't cut a turn like that less than a mile or two from the runway.

There's no way a large passenger plane would make such a sharp banking turn like that, at least not without every loose object and passengers flying about the cabin.

I flew in from NYC and flew over IKEA/Potomac Mills before landing on at least a dozen flights.

Date: December 05, 2008 12:52AM

spunky Wrote:
> Check out 12/21/2012 on the Mayan calendar for
> yourself. Don't believe me.
>
> 496-is that a real picture of you?

Yeah, the mayan calendar marks the end of the age of pisces and the beginning of the age of aquarius on 12/21/12.

Sounds like fun, to me, but then I've never been very much into astrology.

Date: December 05, 2008 01:04AM

Bob Wrote:
> spunky Wrote:
> -----
> > Check out 12/21/2012 on the Mayan calendar for
> > yourself. Don't believe me.
> >
> > 496-is that a real picture of you?
>
>
> Yeah, the mayan calendar marks the end of the age
> of pisces and the beginning of the age of aquarius
> on 12/21/12.
>
> Sounds like fun, to me, but then I've never been
> very much into astrology.

I'm aquarian, maybe my ship will come in that day!

Ha! Ha! Ha!

The Mayans were very smart, why do you think their calendar stops on that date?

Date: December 05, 2008 02:07AM

spunky Wrote:
>
> The Mayans were very smart, why do you think their
> calendar stops on that date?

Perhaps that was all they were concerned with, or they couldn't calculate more than 13.0.0.0.0 (or 5,125 years) on their calendar?

Maybe the "calendar" archeologists study is like a modern wall calendar, it deals with a certain amount of time, and then you throw it away and put up another one at the end of that time period.

Imagine 5,000 years from now if archeologists discover someone's 2008 12 month calendar. Would they believe that we thought that time ended at the end of that 12 month period?

Date: December 05, 2008 02:27AM

Bob Wrote:
> spunky Wrote:
> -----
> >
> > The Mayans were very smart, why do you think
> their
> > calendar stops on that date?
>
> Perhaps that was all they were concerned with, or
> they couldn't calculate more than 13.0.0.0.0 (or
> 5,125 years) on their calendar?
>
> Maybe the "calendar" archeologists study is like a
> modern wall calendar, it deals with a certain
> amount of time, and then you throw it away and put
> up another one at the end of that time period.
>
> Imagine 5,000 years from now if archeologists
> discover someone's 2008 12 month calendar. Would
> they believe that we thought that time ended at
> the end of that 12 month period?

Bob you don't mean this. Have you not read the scientific information

relating to this? You're pulling my leg!

Date: December 05, 2008 03:03AM

spunky Wrote:
>
> Bob you don't mean this. Have you not read the
> scientific information
>
> relating to this? You're pulling my leg!

I've been reading up on this since I went to Tulum in 2002 and heard about the 2012 "prophecy".

For all we know, these rock carving mesoamericans could have thought that venus coming from behind the sun in dec 2012 was a sign of the sun god coming to bring them back to where they came from (mars, zeta reticuli, ???).

That doesn't mean they had some ancient secret knowledge, it just means that their primitive understanding, while remarkable as far as tracking the movement of the stars, led them to a conclusion based on their limited knowledge of their origins and their destination.

The wonderful thing about all end-of-the-world prophecies is that they never turn out to be very accurate, but lots of people get caught up in them and put their own fears and anxieties into them.

Date: December 05, 2008 04:15AM

Bob Wrote:
> spunky Wrote:
> -----
> >
> > Bob you don't mean this. Have you not read the
> > scientific information
> >
> > relating to this? You're pulling my leg!
>
> I've been reading up on this since I went to Tulum
> in 2002 and heard about the 2012 "prophecy".
>
> For all we know, these rock carving mesoamericans
> could have thought that venus coming from behind
> the sun in dec 2012 was a sign of the sun god
> coming to bring them back to where they came from
> (mars, zeta reticuli, ???).
>
> That doesn't mean they had some ancient secret
> knowledge, it just means that their primitive
> understanding, while remarkable as far as tracking
> the movement of the stars, led them to a
> conclusion based on their limited knowledge of
> their origins and their destination.
>
> The wonderful thing about all end-of-the-world
> prophecies is that they never turn out to be very
> accurate, but lots of people get caught up in them
> and put their own fears and anxieties into them.

Well, I hope it doesn't happen old man. But everything the Indians

said would happen has pretty much come to pass. They had good medicine,

listened to their great spirit(God) and were extremely knowledgeable and

intuitive. This has been studied and discussed for along time now by the

Smithsonian, National Geographic, Discovery among a few. It is obvioous you

haven't read up much on this at all. Or, you just want to close down the

subject. Because there is evidence they had secret knowledge, even evidence of

other creatures unlike us. We have had increase UFO sightings and government

officials coming forward now admitting to official sightings, even an astronaut.

That was reported on FOX news. You're in denial, what are you afraid of?

I am not caught up in this but to know it and not share and it happen then I can

deal, but not to share and it happens, I can't. Isn't it better to plan for the

worse and nothing happen, then not plan at all and it does happen? There are

lots who have been planning.

Date: December 05, 2008 08:56AM

Bob Wrote:

> I don't know if you've ever flown into Dulles, but
> they fly way out 10 or 20 miles to make an
> approach on a northerly runway when coming in from
> the north, they wouldn't cut a turn like that less
> than a mile or two from the runway.
>
> There's no way a large passenger plane would make
> such a sharp banking turn like that, at least not
> without every loose object and passengers flying
> about the cabin.

Oh well....I tired. My theory is DEAD! :-(

I will say, however, that as someone who lives close to the airport, I have seen them on occasion come in over my house and land a Dulles, which means that the most likely turning point would be somewhere over the 66 & 29 interchange (about 7 miles out)....but true...never right over 50 & 28.

Posted by: JR ()
Date: December 05, 2008 09:00AM

WASHINGTON (AP) - Residents of the Washington region can expect to see and hear aircraft when the North American Aerospace Defense Command conducts an exercise involving training flights.

The exercise, dubbed Falcon Virgo, runs into Thursday. It is designed to hone NORAD's intercept and identification operation and test the region's visual warning system.

Aircraft includes Air Force F-16s, Civil Air Patrol aircraft and Coast Guard HH-65 Dolphin helicopters during the late night and early morning hours.

The exercise will be pushed to the next day if there is inclement weather.

Date: December 05, 2008 10:00AM

JR Wrote:
> WASHINGTON (AP) - Residents of the Washington
> region can expect to see and hear aircraft when
> the North American Aerospace Defense Command
> conducts an exercise involving training flights.
>
> The exercise, dubbed Falcon Virgo, runs into
> Thursday. It is designed to hone NORAD's intercept
> and identification operation and test the region's
> visual warning system.
>
> Aircraft includes Air Force F-16s, Civil Air
> Patrol aircraft and Coast Guard HH-65 Dolphin
> helicopters during the late night and early
> morning hours.
>
> The exercise will be pushed to the next day if
> there is inclement weather.

i knew it! and it's all under the guise of being fedex's two hour mail shipping.

file.php?2,file=4706

Posted by: Guest ()
Date: December 05, 2008 03:16PM

I live between Herndon and Route 7 off of Dranesville Road. I heard it for the last 2-3 weeks now late at night. The "NEW" runway has just opened the week before Thanksgiving and thus new flight patterns are brought to you by MWAA. All I can say is that they use to shut down at night, now they do what they want. Now there will be "DOUBLE" the amount of noise there was before.

Posted by: Alias ()
Date: December 05, 2008 04:41PM

]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2012 01:06PM by Alias.

Posted by: Wahhhhh ()
Date: December 05, 2008 04:42PM

What's all this talk about coming from behind?

Date: December 05, 2008 09:31PM

Try to stay on topic, okay? Now, I was lucky to get this shot and think this might be the noisy culprit on the 29th -
Attachments:
IAD.jpg

Posted by: MM ()
Date: December 05, 2008 10:36PM

Ha, Ha, Berdhuis, so I wonder what "people-shuttle" ET used after he exited his flight?

Date: December 05, 2008 10:56PM

Seriously, can we stay on topic?

The Mayan calendar stopped on 12/21/12 because our planet goes thrpugh another phase and the sky will change which is why the calendar could not be completed.

Now Nostradamus (Nose for short) made lots of predictions after this period so this date 12/21/12, is not the end of time. But in order to survive this period one must be aware and plan accordingly, am I making myself clear now?

Date: December 05, 2008 11:26PM

that star wars pic is great. decent photoshop job too.

Date: December 05, 2008 11:40PM

Alias Wrote:
> Bob:
> "For all we know, these rock carving mesoamericans
> could have thought that venus coming from behind
> the sun in dec 2012 was a sign of the sun god
> coming to bring them back to where they came from
> (mars, zeta reticuli, ???)."
> _________________________
>
> And, maybe that sun god will be Iran.
>
>

I don't give that much credit to a nation run by a bunch of religious clerics/nuts.

I suspect the worse thing that is going to happen on 12/21/12 is that there's going to be a lot of disappointed people when the clock hits midnight and the date changes to 12/22/12.

Date: December 05, 2008 11:54PM

spunky Wrote:
> That was reported on FOX news. You're in denial,
> what are you afraid of?

I'm not in denial. I've looked into this quite a lot. Believe me, I am not one of those types who tends to dismiss every uncomfortable idea like the typical person. I just don't give much credence to any "end of the world" predictions.

>
> I am not caught up in this but to know it and not
> share and it happen then I can
>
> deal, but not to share and it happens, I can't.
> Isn't it better to plan for the
>
> worse and nothing happen, then not plan at all and
> it does happen? There are
>
> lots who have been planning.

The way I see it, if something bad is going to happen on 12/21/12, so be it. Why get all worked up about it, if there's nothing I can do to change it?

Was it the millerites who sold all their property and assets and gave away all their money expecting the world to end in October 1844?

People latch onto these prophecies because it gives them a sense of control or at least comfort in a world that is largely unpredictible. The world is going to end someday. Some people find comfort, even if false comfort, in trying to understand when and how the world will end. Others just realize the world will end some day, and most likely it is so far off into the future that several epochs will pass before it happens. At the very least, the world will end about halfway through the sun's transformation into a red giant, when the sun expands out beyond earth's orbit.

Date: December 06, 2008 12:14AM

trogdor! Wrote:
> Couldn't they be banking over Chantilly Highlands
> to make a landing on 1L? That seems like a huge
> pain compared to landing on 19C because of the
> huge taxi back to the terminal, but hey...maybe
> the rich people up in Ashburn are more "sensitive"
> (read: politically connected) to the noise late at
> night than the riff-raff in Chantilly:

but i thought that sound was of it taking off (like with friction on the runway).

Posted by: S.Freeman ()
Date: December 11, 2008 06:44PM

Hello. My name is Sholnn Freeman. I cover aviation at The Washington Post. I'm researching a story on noise around airports with new runways. I'm curious about the impact near Dulles. Please send me a note or give me a buzz -- 202 334-6369; freeman@washpost.com

Posted by: Pilot ()
Date: December 11, 2008 07:03PM

S.Freeman Wrote:
> Hello. My name is Sholnn Freeman. I cover aviation
> at The Washington Post. I'm researching a story on
> noise around airports with new runways. I'm
> curious about the impact near Dulles. Please send
> me a note or give me a buzz -- 202 334-6369;
> freeman@washpost.com

Good, because there should be less noise with a new runway.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.