HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Senior SmarTrip Card
Posted by: RickL ()
Date: May 07, 2012 11:34AM

Has anyone ever heard of these? I see that they do indeed exist and give you 50% off metro fares. Of course I was offered one on craigslist after looking to get a small discount on a regular SmarTrip card. But definitely have my worries. Just curious if anyone had any experience with using one and NOT being 65+ years old.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Senior SmarTrip Card
Posted by: justsayin ()
Date: May 07, 2012 11:39AM

http://www.wmata.com/fares/smartrip/senior.cfm

Note: Effective June 29, 2008, Metro no longer accepts applications for the copper senior ID card, and will not renew any expiring senior cards. All active Metro senior ID cards will be honored at sales locations until the active card reaches its expiration date. All Senior SmarTrip® cards will also be honored whether the color is yellow or blue. For locations of sales offices, regional commuter stores and local libraries, see Metro sales locations or call the SmarTrip® Regional Customer Service Center at 1-888-762-7874.

Date: May 07, 2012 12:02PM

Yea I saw that, but what is a copper senior ID card? Is that different than the yellow ones? And even if that is so, the one I Was being sold already exists, so it doesn't require an application.

Posted by: justsayin ()
Date: May 07, 2012 12:15PM

I'd say go ahead and buy it, nothing to lose.

Date: May 07, 2012 12:50PM

Well, the cost is what I could lose if something went wrong, and I'd also have to make sure I have control of the account online on wmata.org, so the seller couldn't screw anything up there.

I'm not too worried about re-loading the card, as it's not as if anyone is watching what card I will be re-loading, and even if they did I would just say I was "re-loading grandma's card for her."

I just don't know how strictly they watch who is using the card every day. Rush hour moves so fast I don't think anyone would notice, especially the yellow color of the card being face down on the scanner.

My one worry was having to get the card replaced - I somehow almost always have issues with smart trip cards and need to get them replaced. This probably could easily be fixed by me putting the card in a seperate card holder of some sort, not connected to my wallet and not near my cell phone. But I also believe that I can order a new SmartTrip card through the mail online, instead of having to go in person for the card.

I dunno. Any thoughts?

Posted by: visitor ()
Date: May 07, 2012 12:59PM

It seems you aren't too happy with any answers you are getting... the first warned you off because they are expired, the second reversed it since you didn't like the first one.

Smarttrip cards are electronically loaded, I would expect it to not work for reloading, no shit no one is looking it is an automated process.

Oh I see you aren't 65 and are trying to game the system, driving up my fare in the process well screw you I hope you lose your money

Posted by: Kardinal ()
Date: May 07, 2012 01:04PM

visitor Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Oh I see you aren't 65 and are trying to game the
> system, driving up my fare in the process well
> screw you I hope you lose your money

I think we call that "theft", right? Or at least "fraud"?

Posted by: Illegal Spic ()
Date: November 28, 2012 03:26PM

BUMP

Posted by: no ()
Date: December 01, 2012 05:01PM

can you use that on the metro?

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.