HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
'Lights Out' for Virginia Sex Offenders on Halloween - Probation officers and police will pay visits.
Posted by: The Neighborhood Watch! ()
Date: October 31, 2013 08:05AM

'Lights Out' for Virginia Sex Offenders on Halloween
Probation officers and police will pay visits.
http://herndon.patch.com/groups/police-and-fire/p/lights-out-for-virginia-sex-offenders-on-halloween-herndon

Virginia's 3,400 sex offenders under probation or parole supervision will be monitored by state authorities while children are out trick-or-treating.

The sex offenders are required to either remain at home with their lights out and not answer the door, or attend a meeting at a secure location while children are out trick-or-treating, Department of Corrections Director Harold Clarke told The Associated Press. http://wtop.com/120/3494770/Va-to-monitor-sex-offenders-on-Halloween-night

The initiative is dubbed "Operation Porch Lights Out."

To ensure compliance, probation officers and state and local police will make random home visits Halloween night, the AP reported.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 'Lights Out' for Virginia Sex Offenders on Halloween - Probation officers and police will pay visits.
Posted by: Pablo ()
Date: October 31, 2013 08:45AM

This is only for offenders that are currently on Parole or Probation. It has nothing to do with offenders that are not under supervision. The whole thing is a huge waste of money and time, there has never been a report of a child being hurt by an offender on Halloween, but hey it looks good to see the State Troopers, and Fed. Marshals out in force. We have a gentleman that lives in our community that is an offender, or at least he was accused of that. He was in prison for 5 years and then moved here into our community. At first when we found out about him we were very upset, however he had lived here for several years and never would we have dreamed that he was a sex offender.

He works and has a family, nice home and has never been anything but a good person to the folks living on our block that know him. I cannot speak for anyone else but I checked into his story and visited the court house where he was charged, looked at his case and found that at best the whole thing was strange to say the least. We agreed , those of us who went out of concern that something was missing from the information and the whole thing smacked of revenge during a ugly divorce .

I am not defending sex offenders, nor do I agree with their crimes, I am just speaking from my own experience in my own community. I have been friends with his wife for quite awhile and the stories that she has told me about how hard its been on him and the whole family have been heart wrenching. Their children are picked on at school, my own boy has had to stand up for then on the bus, they have had their cars vandalized, asked to leave the church where they attended for years etc, etc. So instead of paint all of them with such a wide brush remember that not all of them are the same or even close.

Re: 'Lights Out' for Virginia Sex Offenders on Halloween - Probation officers and police will pay visits.
Posted by: Cotton Mather ()
Date: October 31, 2013 08:52AM

Logic, forbearance, conditional forgiveness, letting someone move on with their damaged lives...you won't last long on this site...

Posted by: Jess1 ()
Date: October 31, 2013 09:05AM

"revenge during a ugly divorce"

This. "Sex offender" used to mean "adult who actually assaulted someone else".

Today, it's "woman who pulled over on Rt. 33 in Nowhereseville, VA, to let her 5 yo piss & got busted for some 18th century kid is pantless law"

Shove these "registrys" up the nearest bureaucrat's ass.

Posted by: Why not ()
Date: October 31, 2013 09:06AM

Not sure what the issue is here. Like Pablo points out, this is for offenders that are currently on parole or probation. These people are on parole or probation to monitor them and see if they are safe to return to society. This is just one small additional step. It would not affect someone like his neighbor.

Posted by: oldy ()
Date: October 31, 2013 09:27AM

Did I read a story where some high school kid killed himself recently because he "streaked" a high school football game, and had some type of sex offender charge/status possibility facing him?

That is the problem with some laws...while they are meant to protect the innocent, possibly, overzealous prosecutors can use them to muscle a plea, or worse, show how they are "tough on crime".

It can be a dangerous thing to give the gov some of these tools, thinking they will be judicious in their use.

Posted by: Scout the Ham ()
Date: October 31, 2013 09:44AM

So if someone doesn't want to pony up for this Halloween extravaganza and buy expensive candy to give to spoiled petulant children who have never been taught the word "thank you," and if you choose to turn out your porch light and not engage in this manufactured event, you might be considered a child molester on the down low?

What a sad nanny state we live in...scarier than Halloween

Posted by: confused ()
Date: October 31, 2013 09:56AM

How do they answer the door to their parole officer if they've been told not to answer the door to anyone? Entrapment?

Posted by: Government at it's best ()
Date: October 31, 2013 10:12AM

confused Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How do they answer the door to their parole
> officer if they've been told not to answer the
> door to anyone? Entrapment?

It's kind of like during the partial government shutdown. Government workers were told not to open any emails. In the same letter they were told that details of the shutdown would be emailed to them.

Posted by: increase mather ()
Date: October 31, 2013 11:42AM

I have a high school teammate (who went on to become an All Conference athlete in the Big 10) who is a convicted sex offender. He was an accomplished teacher and coach, receiving Coach of the Year accolades for his All State teams. This of course is no longer. His problem? He is an inverterate flasher of young girls (along wih committing lewd conduct). He enjoyed a 10 year spell where he did not get caught, but recently he has allegedly committed another set of crimes in front of an elementary school, and is also facing a slew of driving offense charges for speeding and evading police after the incidents. As much as Pablo pleads for reason and empathy, there is no getting around the conclusion that my teammate and other recividists like him must face prison. There has been no stopping him.

Pablo does have a point that sex offenders are almost universally treated with derision and disdain. This is perhaps not fair, but these consequences are one of the few levers available to discourage the behaviors, which in many cases are an addiction.

I also agree that a Halloween sweep is really just for public relations. The best thing to do is for parents and community to be vigilant. I am always surprised at the number of people drawn to this kind of activity.

Posted by: Gramps ()
Date: October 31, 2013 04:02PM

I see the good old sex offender scare is in force again this year, its pretty damn sad that something that started out to be a help to the community has turned to shit. The pundits around election time ( now ) use this same tired old line get tuff on sex offenders shit to garner votes. Truth be known they probably by todays laws are sex offenders them selves. Anyone old enough to have been parking in their teens is now a pervert under the law. Dont take a piss behind a dumpster or in the woods..........oooooppppps now a sex offender.

Dont piss off a student at school if you are a teacher, coach , sunday school leader on and on and on. One little slip up and you tooooo can have new friends, a new place to live and and your pic on the web. Watch out for the badddd old boogey man......happy halloween freaks
Attachments:
o61753.jpg

Date: October 31, 2013 07:23PM

Kids are parasites like your pets. Don't let them out without supervision.

Posted by: WingNut ()
Date: October 31, 2013 07:43PM

I've got candles fuckers.

idontlikebeingrightaboutshitlikethisbutiam

Edited 21 time(s). Last edit at 5/31/1967 05:57AM by WingNut.

Last edit at 11/30/2015 01:37PM Last edit at 5/14/2015 03:52PM Last edit at 1/28/2014 05:57AM Last edit at 11/29/2015 01:10PM Last edit at 3/14/2011 11:52PM Last edit at 7/20/2012 04:07AM
Last edit at 6/29/2013 11:18PM Last edit at 3/19/2011 01:02PM Last edit at 3/26/2012 09:07PM

Posted by: william r. delzell ()
Date: November 01, 2013 02:57PM

This Halloween law about porch-lights out could actually endanger police and parole officers. If the front porch and garage security lights are off, a resident former sex offender inside the house could mistake the police officer for a burglar and shoot the police officer under mistaken identity. Even sex offenders have a right to protect their property from intruders. If Virginia has a Stand Your Ground law, a sex offender residence could theoretically use that law in any courtroom for justify the shooting of somebody in their front lawn who turned out to be a police officer. With the lights off, there is no way the resident sex offender could see who is out on his or her lawn.

Secondly, some home invaders will disguise themselves as policemen or policewomen to gain unlawful entry onto somebody's private property. I'm sure this fact is not lost on those former sex offenders subject this Virginia law.

A child and his or her parents stand a greater risk of being run over by a careless or drunk driver than they do of being accosted by a pervert. Maybe Virginia should aim its Halloween curfew at drunk drivers instead of at former sex offenders. Just an idea.

Posted by: Uh...No ()
Date: November 03, 2013 05:21PM

william r. delzell Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This Halloween law about porch-lights out could
> actually endanger police and parole officers. If
> the front porch and garage security lights are
> off, a resident former sex offender inside the
> house could mistake the police officer for a
> burglar and shoot the police officer under
> mistaken identity. Even sex offenders have a
> right to protect their property from intruders.
> If Virginia has a Stand Your Ground law, a sex
> offender residence could theoretically use that
> law in any courtroom for justify the shooting of
> somebody in their front lawn who turned out to be
> a police officer. With the lights off, there is
> no way the resident sex offender could see who is
> out on his or her lawn.
>
> Secondly, some home invaders will disguise
> themselves as policemen or policewomen to gain
> unlawful entry onto somebody's private property.
> I'm sure this fact is not lost on those former sex
> offenders subject this Virginia law.
>
> A child and his or her parents stand a greater
> risk of being run over by a careless or drunk
> driver than they do of being accosted by a
> pervert. Maybe Virginia should aim its Halloween
> curfew at drunk drivers instead of at former sex
> offenders. Just an idea.

Convicted Sex offenders, like all felons, are not allowed to own or possess fire arms. I hope one does try to pull one on a cop though, just so the cops have an excuse to grease 'em.

Posted by: Munchma Qutchi ()
Date: November 03, 2013 05:42PM

If you have a registered sex offender living in your neighborhood, and his house hasn't burned down with him in it, you're a fucking pussy-ass piece of shit.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.