HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Strange sounds heard at night, sound like dinosaurs stomping or giant robot walking
Date: October 29, 2013 05:38PM

Has anyone else over the past couple of years heard sounds like these?

I live in Burke. On several occasions I've been in my backyard with friends and family late at night listening to what sounded like military exercises or munitions tests happening around 2 or 3 AM. The direction the sound seems to come from is typically where there are other neighborhoods. I don't live close enough to a base for it to make sense.

The sound was similar to the T Rex stomping around in Jurassic Park, or what we imagine it would sound like if large robots were walking around, except really far away. It has always bothered me that, despite many people living in this area, no one else seemed to notice, nor was it ever reported on the news or anywhere else. This would go on for longer than we cared to listen to before we would go back indoors, but we'd stay outside listening for 10-20 minutes at a time asking ourselves what it was. The sounds I believe were loud enough to be heard for many miles.

Whatever the origin of the sound, at least tens of thousands of residents were exposed to it as well. The general direction it seemed to originate from the Occoquan area, though I can't confirm this. I haven't heard the sound for several years as I tend not to go into my backyard much anymore, but I've seen threads regarding strange sounds late at night/early in the morning. Would love to know more about this strange noise.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Strange sounds heard at night, sound like dinosaurs stomping or giant robot walking
Posted by: eater ()
Date: October 29, 2013 06:04PM

could be coincidence but im in burke too and many times I stay late at cafe rio until close, a few hours later at home sometimes I need to go outside to "relieve the pressure" and it can get pretty bad which is why i go outside. I have gotten a few complaints before about waking people up, maybe it was that?

Re: Strange sounds heard at night, sound like dinosaurs stomping or giant robot walking
Posted by: Barney's in my yard ()
Date: October 29, 2013 06:05PM

Hey OP, are you 12?

Date: October 29, 2013 07:43PM

That's what it sounds like. Deal with it, ho.

Posted by: Arthur Carlson ()
Date: October 29, 2013 07:50PM

I hear the same sound in my house last at night. I found out they were robotic rats developed by Darpa. They still like peanut butter. I put a 5-gallone pail, rubbed the insides with peanut butter, and caught the suckers. In the morning, they were at the bottom of bucket, stretched out, and shorted.

Posted by: BOB IN FAIRFAX ()
Date: October 29, 2013 08:15PM

I've heard those, but during the day. It comes from Quantico I think. Not sure about night time though.

Posted by: Ears in Burke ()
Date: October 29, 2013 11:31PM

I have heard the sounds you describe as well.

Deep metallic bumps and thumps, usually around 3 or 4 in the morning.

Best my stereo ears can tell it is coming from the warehouse/storage on Guinea Rd. The bowling alley next door, or perhaps the recycling building next to the gym on the other side of the train station.

It sounds like a large trash dumpster pickup, but without the truck sounds, and it goes on for a bit too long.

Curious as to why it is so early as well, since most communities have laws against early deliveries, trash pickup or construction due to noise.

Or maybe it really is metallic dinosaurs fighting.

Posted by: Jaeger ()
Date: October 29, 2013 11:37PM

Ears in Burke Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have heard the sounds you describe as well.
>
> Deep metallic bumps and thumps, usually around 3
> or 4 in the morning.
>
> Best my stereo ears can tell it is coming from the
> warehouse/storage on Guinea Rd. The bowling alley
> next door, or perhaps the recycling building next
> to the gym on the other side of the train station.
>
>
> It sounds like a large trash dumpster pickup, but
> without the truck sounds, and it goes on for a bit
> too long.
>
> Curious as to why it is so early as well, since
> most communities have laws against early
> deliveries, trash pickup or construction due to
> noise.
>
> Or maybe it really is metallic dinosaurs fighting.
Attachments:
pr.gif

Posted by: Godzilla!!! ()
Date: October 30, 2013 08:23AM

I've been hearing something similiar in Sterling, Fairfax, and Haymarket. On monday night, my wife and I heard it, and it sounded like a giant robot was walking by the house.

Posted by: Fort Belvoir ()
Date: October 30, 2013 08:43AM

HingleMcCringleberry Wrote:
> Has anyone else over the past couple of years
> heard sounds like these?

Yes.

> I live in Burke. On several occasions I've been in
> my backyard with friends and family late at night
> listening to what sounded like military exercises
> or munitions tests happening around 2 or 3 AM. The
> direction the sound seems to come from is
> typically where there are other neighborhoods. I
> don't live close enough to a base for it to make
> sense.

You live ten miles from Fort Belvoir.

> The sound was similar to the T Rex stomping around
> in Jurassic Park, or what we imagine it would
> sound like if large robots were walking around,
> except really far away.

Like, ten miles away?

> It has always bothered me
> that, despite many people living in this area, no
> one else seemed to notice, nor was it ever
> reported on the news or anywhere else.

Maybe because other people are aware of Fort Belvoir.

> This would
> go on for longer than we cared to listen to before
> we would go back indoors, but we'd stay outside
> listening for 10-20 minutes at a time asking
> ourselves what it was. The sounds I believe were
> loud enough to be heard for many miles.

So, like...ten miles. Like they could travel the ten miles from Fort Belvoir. Gotcha.

> Whatever the origin of the sound, at least tens of
> thousands of residents were exposed to it as well.
> The general direction it seemed to originate from
> the Occoquan area, though I can't confirm this.

If you drew a straight line from your house to Fort Belvoir on the map, I bet you could see how sound from there could seem like it was coming from Occoquan (also about ten miles from Burke).

> I haven't heard the sound for several years as I
> tend not to go into my backyard much anymore, but
> I've seen threads regarding strange sounds late at
> night/early in the morning. Would love to know
> more about this strange noise.

Glad to help.

Posted by: thisisajokeright ()
Date: October 30, 2013 08:47AM

Man, I'm curious! Damn you trolls!

Posted by: Ralph Pootawn ()
Date: October 30, 2013 08:52AM

Herds of mexicans migrating from Prince William County

Posted by: SPooky ()
Date: October 30, 2013 09:44AM

Could be a squatch.

Posted by: Me too ()
Date: October 30, 2013 09:48AM

Probably half a dozen times a month I wake up to this sound - and a vibration. And the comment about air pressure, I believe that too. I'm near Guinea & Braddock

Posted by: HingleMcCringleberry ()
Date: October 30, 2013 02:34PM

Fort Belvoir Wrote:
> HingleMcCringleberry Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Has anyone else over the past couple of years
> > heard sounds like these?
>
> Yes.
>
> > I live in Burke. On several occasions I've been
> in
> > my backyard with friends and family late at
> night
> > listening to what sounded like military
> exercises
> > or munitions tests happening around 2 or 3 AM.
> The
> > direction the sound seems to come from is
> > typically where there are other neighborhoods.
> I
> > don't live close enough to a base for it to
> make
> > sense.
>
> You live ten miles from Fort Belvoir.
>
> > The sound was similar to the T Rex stomping
> around
> > in Jurassic Park, or what we imagine it would
> > sound like if large robots were walking around,
> > except really far away.
>
> Like, ten miles away?
>
> > It has always bothered me
> > that, despite many people living in this area,
> no
> > one else seemed to notice, nor was it ever
> > reported on the news or anywhere else.
>
> Maybe because other people are aware of Fort
> Belvoir.
>
> > This would
> > go on for longer than we cared to listen to
> before
> > we would go back indoors, but we'd stay outside
> > listening for 10-20 minutes at a time asking
> > ourselves what it was. The sounds I believe
> were
> > loud enough to be heard for many miles.
>
> So, like...ten miles. Like they could travel the
> ten miles from Fort Belvoir. Gotcha.
>
> > Whatever the origin of the sound, at least tens
> of
> > thousands of residents were exposed to it as
> well.
> > The general direction it seemed to originate
> from
> > the Occoquan area, though I can't confirm this.
>
>
> If you drew a straight line from your house to
> Fort Belvoir on the map, I bet you could see how
> sound from there could seem like it was coming
> from Occoquan (also about ten miles from Burke).
>
> > I haven't heard the sound for several years as
> I
> > tend not to go into my backyard much anymore,
> but
> > I've seen threads regarding strange sounds late
> at
> > night/early in the morning. Would love to know
> > more about this strange noise.
>
> Glad to help.

So they're blowing things up in a rhythmic pattern at the military base, from the hours of 1AM to 4AM, when they're located 10 miles from major residential areas? Okay, makes sense. Thank you.

Posted by: the train? ()
Date: October 31, 2013 07:06AM

I heard a train this morning for about 10 minutes off in the distance, at approximately 4:30am. Usually if I hear the train its for no more than a minute or two. Weird!

Posted by: Me too ()
Date: October 31, 2013 08:14AM

What are they blowing up? serious question

Posted by: Local Contractor ()
Date: October 31, 2013 10:18PM

A local contractor has been hiring illegals and then murdering them at the end of the job to avoid paying them. FCPD got a tip that the bodies were dumped at this location.

Posted by: randomthought ()
Date: November 04, 2013 07:02PM

HingleMcCringleberry Wrote:
> The sound was similar to the T Rex stomping around
> in Jurassic Park, or what we imagine it would
> sound like if large robots were walking around,
> except really far away. It has always bothered me
> that, despite many people living in this area, no
> one else seemed to notice, nor was it ever
> reported on the news or anywhere else.

I was walking behind a shopping center today and a garbage truck with a forklift had lifted a metal bin and upended it, shaking it a couple of times to get all the crap out. The heavy metal doors bang around with the movement and it sounded kind of like what you are describing. Maybe some company is cleaning a bunch of those out at night.

Posted by: Eyes in Burke ()
Date: November 04, 2013 07:23PM

Ears in Burke Wrote:
> I have heard the sounds you describe as well.
>
> Deep metallic bumps and thumps, usually around 3
> or 4 in the morning.
>
> Best my stereo ears can tell it is coming from the
> warehouse/storage on Guinea Rd. The bowling alley
> next door, or perhaps the recycling building next
> to the gym on the other side of the train station.
>
>
> It sounds like a large trash dumpster pickup, but
> without the truck sounds, and it goes on for a bit
> too long.
>
> Curious as to why it is so early as well, since
> most communities have laws against early
> deliveries, trash pickup or construction due to
> noise.
>
> Or maybe it really is metallic dinosaurs fighting.

It does sound like (a lot of) dumpsters being emptied. But at 3:00am!!

Also no truck sounds, but those sounds may not travel as well.

Posted by: Casey Jones ()
Date: November 04, 2013 07:35PM

There is a double crossover on the railroad tracks near the Burke Village II shops. When trains go over that track it can create a very loud and deep thumping clickity clack sound that is well in advance of the train.

Woo Woo

Posted by: JustanFYI ()
Date: November 04, 2013 07:36PM

So my question is, how do you know what dinosaurs stomping or giant robots walking sounds like to compare?

Posted by: JustanFYI ()
Date: November 04, 2013 07:37PM

or it also be GordonBlvd's wife up in the middle of the night looking for something else to eat.

Posted by: goobagabba ()
Date: November 04, 2013 08:02PM

Oh man do I HaTe that thing. I'm glad that I'm not the only one who is bothered by its loud stomp, stomp, stomp. Grrrr.

Date: September 04, 2014 12:05AM

I heard this sound plenty of times and I live in Suitland md.. no one really has an explanation for this! Shit is weird!

Posted by: garbage truck ()
Date: September 04, 2014 02:51PM

They are garbage trucks dropping several ton receptacles. I know in our area- they start collecting around 4am.

Posted by: johnny ringo ()
Date: September 04, 2014 04:17PM

OP, do you live anywhere that a certain local contractor has been active?

Posted by: NoChimpout ()
Date: September 04, 2014 05:59PM

Its the Bunnyman and a local contractor disposing of unwanted, former illegal day laborers.

Posted by: The loud sound ()
Date: September 04, 2014 06:38PM

I hear that sound quite frequently late at night, and I live in Centreville. Best described as a distant yet loud booming. Heard it last for up to a half hour before. It really does sound similar to what I'd imagine a brontosaurus walking in slow motion would sound like. Make fun if you like, but that's exactly how it sounds. Would love to know what the mysterious noise is all about!

Posted by: valeriegarcia123 ()
Date: July 28, 2016 11:42PM

I just heard it right now! THIS IS WHY I SEARCHED IT UP! i was sitting on my bed playing my computer and then i hear like a sound in the thunderstorm! I jump out of bed and run outside but it seems like no one noticed it. im scared and my family is out walking!

Posted by: Hi Valerie ()
Date: July 28, 2016 11:45PM

valeriegarcia123 Wrote:
> I just heard it right now! THIS IS WHY I SEARCHED
> IT UP! i was sitting on my bed playing my computer
> and then i hear like a sound in the thunderstorm!
> I jump out of bed and run outside but it seems
> like no one noticed it. im scared and my family is
> out walking!

Got any nudes you want to post?

Posted by: ceepk ()
Date: July 29, 2016 08:08AM

It's from the Basic School in Quantico. It's a nighttime love fire demo called the Mad Moment. During marine company in the defense there's a stage known as the final protective fire. It's fired when you are about to be over run and you fire everything you have to save your ass.

Posted by: shadster ()
Date: July 29, 2016 05:34PM

Only place I know that does blasting in the military base @Dahlgreen U can typically hear/feel those blasts from 60 miles away.

Posted by: Joe Mama ()
Date: May 24, 2020 04:17AM

I used to live in Pensacola FL and late at night I could hear what sounded like giants walking around, like loud stomping or as you said, T-Rex's. I see a lot of people saying it's the military bases and yatta yatta but my house the sounds were coming from the exact opposite of the military base, and the next closest one was abt 30 miles away from the first one.

Oddly enough, the house I had lived in before that I heard the exact same noise as well, except there were no military bases at all, the closest one was three cities away.

If you have an explanation of even just a hunch, please let me know. This was years ago and I haven't heard the noise since, but after thinking about it, I looked it up and found this forum.

Posted by: Burke Native ()
Date: May 24, 2020 07:12AM

I know exactly what this poster is talking about. And I know the artillery range sounds - these are both entirely different and it is definitely not the Quantico artillery noises which are more like a deep rumble.

It does sound like it could be trash trucks and dumpsters but 1. Is so loud and I’m not very close to any of the stores. If it’s this loud for me, I imagine thousands of others would be complaining much more, and 2. Maybe if the dumpster was dropped from 40 feet.

Maybe something in the Fairfax government property off Freds Oak? I have no idea what goes on over there.

Posted by: OP is a closeted douchefag ()
Date: May 24, 2020 12:52PM

Drug induced psychosis. Fucking fags all of ya
Attachments:
Screenshot_20200524-124912~2.png

Posted by: Not Mike Cutts ()
Date: May 24, 2020 12:53PM

Mike Cutts is also a fag

Posted by: Michael cutts of falls church ()
Date: May 24, 2020 01:14PM

Not Mike Cutts Wrote:
> Mike Cutts is also a fag

Michael cutts has Coronavirus from Fairfax ADC

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.