HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Should FCPS regulat the amount of homework given?
Posted by: JBass ()
Date: May 11, 2012 02:15PM

As far as I know there are no regulations on the amount of out of class work a teacher can assign. Should this be regulated? Time spent on homework has gone up consistently over the past 30 years. where will it end. It is the teachers discretion and after some of the reports we have seen, that is a VERY scary thought. I think it shows a decline in the efficiency of the teachers in class.

I want the government out of my home.

EDIT: Links
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1376208,00.html
http://www.bls.gov/opub/mlr/2008/11/art4full.pdf
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/02/high-school-homework-are-_n_1071973.html

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2012 02:16PM by JBass.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Should FCPS regulat the amount of homework given?
Posted by: justsayin ()
Date: May 11, 2012 02:25PM

Your homework is to write "regulate" twenty times.

Posted by: native.one ()
Date: May 11, 2012 02:27PM

I graduated HS in 05 here locally and I dont recall the homework being that big of an issue. We are constantly lowering the standards, I dont think homework "police" is really necessary. Ive spent half of my life growing up in Belarussia and the amount of work they give you there is nothing like it is here. Try learning geometry in 6th grade with a teacher who has a mentality of Hitler ( I am not joking)

Posted by: wuht_____________ ()
Date: May 11, 2012 02:31PM

oh so now all da teachers are like hitler? wuht

Posted by: dumb white kid ()
Date: May 11, 2012 02:37PM

I'm totally for the dumbing down of schools. People be smart around these parts.

Posted by: Parental Opinion ()
Date: May 11, 2012 02:37PM

My middle school daughter finishes the vast majority of her homework before she comes home from school. In fact, she does this so much that THE most-asked question from me to her is "You don't have any homework again!?" and her most-replied response is "I did it during block time".

Maybe the work load isn't that spectacular.

Posted by: Kardinal ()
Date: May 11, 2012 02:39PM

JBass Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I want the government out of my home.

So why do you want more regulations?

Date: May 11, 2012 02:42PM

dumb white kid Wrote:
> I'm totally for the dumbing down of schools.
> People be smart around these parts.

Uuh, how is capping the time spent on homework 'dumbing anything down'? Wouldnt keeping the levels where they are now, if anything, put us stagnate?

Date: May 11, 2012 02:45PM

Kardinal Wrote:
> JBass Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I want the government out of my home.
>
> So why do you want more regulations?

I want the government to regulate itself, not me. There are many things the government should regulate, mostly itself which this would qualify under.

Dont regulate what I do. Regulate what they do. Thats what they are here for. to serve us.

Date: May 11, 2012 02:49PM

JBass Wrote:
> Wouldnt keeping the levels where they are now, if anything, put us
> stagnate?

Tomorrow's homework assignment is to read up on stagnate being a verb, not an adverb.

I think we need more homework, not less.

Posted by: calfin and hibbs ()
Date: May 11, 2012 02:50PM

?
I teach in FCPS and my homework turn in rate has dropped dramatically the last 10 years. At the same time, the amount of homework assigned has also dropped as the administrators are pushing to grade kids on tests not homeworks.

I feel the opposite, I'm tiring out having to assume that kids will ONLY do work in the classroom and have been recently trained to have ZERO faith that anything productive happens between the times they leave the class til the time they return.

Also our department policy has been no late work (unless excused) accepted and parents fight this tooth and nail!

Somehow we've switched the emphasis on parents supporting teachers to parents challenging teachers to protect little timmy's image... Which is fine and their right but Timmy is a TOTALLY DIFFERENT PERSON when not at home and their lawyers (parents) have zero clue and think they are defending someone whom plays them with the same skill they try to play the school.

Teaching kids that there is zero accountability to hard work as long as they somehow get correct answers down on tests is going to run this country into the ground.

The government doesn't want to be IN YOUR HOUSE. The government is slowing taking ownership of your kids by making them dependant on school as the only place will actually do work, or should I say the only place that makes them do work.

It's tough because it's MUCH rarer to find students that seem to have ownership and appreciation for their education anymore... WAY rarer... Kids don't want teachers force feeding them all the time... never having expectations for them to put in personal time and attention to the details when they are surrounded by a world of distractions.

I started allowing electronic devices as an experiement and the first few days I did this (as kids are savy and they text CONSTANTLY whether you allow them or not) it was chaos... I never said I was allowing them to be a distraction and it took over 2 weeks but slowly they started to lose the stigma of needing to use their smart phones constantly. It was crazy. Their phones were buzzing like mad and this was DURING SCHOOL HOURS. Imagine when they are at home and their friends are all even less handicuffed to use their phones. Kids are bombarded with stimula and distraction and parents "seem" to be behind helping kids deal with this as it's generationally new to all.

If you want to moan and groan that there is too much homework. You're somehow missing the point. There is the same homework given as always just your kids don't have as much time for it as they have way too many other social obligations slowing them down.

25 problems in a textbook will take you way longer when you are fitting in 3 text chats, a phone chat, being sent youtube links while skyping with your drug dealer.

Date: May 11, 2012 02:53PM

justsayin Wrote:
> JBass Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Wouldnt keeping the levels where they are now,
> if anything, put us
> > stagnate?
>
> Tomorrow's homework assignment is to read up on
> stagnate being a verb, not an adverb.
>
> I think we need more homework, not less.

Wouldnt keeping the levels where they are now, if anything, stagnate us?

JustForYou justsayin!

Date: May 11, 2012 02:54PM

Date: May 11, 2012 03:01PM

calfin and hibbs Wrote:
> ?
> I teach in FCPS and my homework turn in rate has
> dropped dramatically the last 10 years. At the
> same time, the amount of homework assigned has
> also dropped as the administrators are pushing to
> grade kids on tests not homeworks.

So you refute the studies shown in the links I provided? If you refute them, okay. Just make your stance to the OP clear. I respect your personal experience but unforutinately, it is the exception and not the rule.

>
> I feel the opposite, I'm tiring out having to
> assume that kids will ONLY do work in the
> classroom and have been recently trained to have
> ZERO faith that anything productive happens
> between the times they leave the class til the
> time they return.

So, housework, part-time jobs, extracarriculars, volunteer work, applying to college, watching younger siblings and family time are a ZERO on the productivity scale? The problem is that there is not enough time for all of these other enriching activities to make a well-rounded individual.

>
> Also our department policy has been no late work
> (unless excused) accepted and parents fight this
> tooth and nail!

Id back you on that to the hilt so long as the amount of work expected is plausible in the time frame provided before the due date.

>
> Somehow we've switched the emphasis on parents
> supporting teachers to parents challenging
> teachers to protect little timmy's image... Which
> is fine and their right but Timmy is a TOTALLY
> DIFFERENT PERSON when not at home and their
> lawyers (parents) have zero clue and think they
> are defending someone whom plays them with the
> same skill they try to play the school.
>
> Teaching kids that there is zero accountability to
> hard work as long as they somehow get correct
> answers down on tests is going to run this country
> into the ground.

Raising kids that are all book and no street smart will result in the same demise.

>
> The government doesn't want to be IN YOUR HOUSE.
> The government is slowing taking ownership of your
> kids by making them dependant on school as the
> only place will actually do work, or should I say
> the only place that makes them do work.
>
> It's tough because it's MUCH rarer to find
> students that seem to have ownership and
> appreciation for their education anymore... WAY
> rarer... Kids don't want teachers force feeding
> them all the time... never having expectations for
> them to put in personal time and attention to the
> details when they are surrounded by a world of
> distractions.
>
> I started allowing electronic devices as an
> experiement and the first few days I did this (as
> kids are savy and they text CONSTANTLY whether you
> allow them or not) it was chaos... I never said I
> was allowing them to be a distraction and it took
> over 2 weeks but slowly they started to lose the
> stigma of needing to use their smart phones
> constantly. It was crazy. Their phones were
> buzzing like mad and this was DURING SCHOOL HOURS.
> Imagine when they are at home and their friends
> are all even less handicuffed to use their phones.
> Kids are bombarded with stimula and distraction
> and parents "seem" to be behind helping kids deal
> with this as it's generationally new to all.
>
> If you want to moan and groan that there is too
> much homework. You're somehow missing the point.
> There is the same homework given as always just
> your kids don't have as much time for it as they
> have way too many other social obligations slowing
> them down.

Again, I provided verifable studies to back my stance, can you provide something besides your own classroom for us to reference?

>
> 25 problems in a textbook will take you way longer
> when you are fitting in 3 text chats, a phone
> chat, being sent youtube links while skyping with
> your drug dealer.

Cant argue there.

Posted by: K and H ()
Date: May 11, 2012 03:05PM

Parental Opinion!

Exactly, the middle schools are starting to lure kids away from their parents removing your opportunities to help your students with homework!

Your daughter is an example of what we are being directly told!
Make no homeworks zeros, never let a childs grade drop below 50 EVEN IF THEY DON'T DO THE WORK. Accept all work at anytime...etc

Oh they are also nudging us to consider "FLIPPING THE CLASSROOM" which would really take your kids our of your hands. In this approach the kids watch videos of their teachers at home and do their homework in school while the teacher walks around making sure it's done because parents suck.

Once they implemented No Child Left Behind the schools are saying, shit, if we get in trouble if the kids fail and the kids are failing cause they aren't doing any homework... fuck this, they are going to do this shit at school under our watch cause we aren't going to lose our jobs cause some ignorant so called tax payer had sex one too many times and had a baby they didn't want!

Now sure this doesn't apply to "some" of you... but... you all follow the path of least resistance and who would't want the school to take your work off your back. I used to bond with my parents all the time doing homework. Now your kids are bonding with you for fun things and are more your friends. good fucking luck with that long term experiment.

soon your kids will be doing their homework with me and watching me teach them on a computer screen when you would normally bond with them. Oh and I'm sure they will have two internet browzers open and be half paying attention as is. Have fun when they all go to N.V.C.C. and make side money selling weed to high school kids while living at home but acting like they are totally independant because you want them to have "self esteem"!

hehe

Posted by: jb ass ()
Date: May 11, 2012 03:11PM

FUCK YOUR VERIFIED STUDIES!

This is Fairfax County and this is exactly what's going on.
I don't go around posting about your shit job so don't go throwing huffington post in my face as if this isn't what I actually do everyday.

Posted by: overworked kid ()
Date: May 11, 2012 03:16PM

JBass Wrote:
> Links
> http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1
> 376208,00.html
> http://www.bls.gov/opub/mlr/2008/11/art4full.pdf
> http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/02/high-school-homework-are-_n_1071973.html

too much homework;dr

Date: May 11, 2012 03:21PM

jb ass Wrote:
> FUCK YOUR VERIFIED STUDIES!
>
> This is Fairfax County and this is exactly what's
> going on.
> I don't go around posting about your shit job so
> don't go throwing huffington post in my face as if
> this isn't what I actually do everyday.

Yeah, The Bureau of Labor Statistics... I heard they make up numbers all the time. Peep this, Teach, you will do whatever the hell the school board says. Dont act like you have any autonomy.

Here is a fun lil snippet of information for you to digest while you think about my shit job...
"Employees with the highest skills, best qualifications and highest incomes enjoy the highest levels of job autonomy in working life. Unskilled workers and low-income employees are the least favoured in this regard."

Posted by: tgbwc ()
Date: May 11, 2012 04:11PM

There are guidelines at the elementary level regarding homework. I'll see if I can find them.
With the new elementary grading and progress reports next year, homework won't be graded anyhow and the student's grade won't be docked if work is "late".

Date: May 11, 2012 04:14PM

Posted by: ypoi ()
Date: May 11, 2012 04:39PM

For people who don't know and think the schools have been dumbed down, you couldn't be further from the truth. Walk a day in your child's shoes-sooooo much harder and soooo less social time and more control and more homework. No matter how old you are, if you grew up around here, your kids are working much harder than you did. And thank SOLS with no increase in outcome. Research has been consistent and (yes I can put a link up for you), that homework accomplishes nothing-it is like the placebo in birth control pills. I know many of you just want the system to keep your kids busy cause you don't trust them, but thats no answer. Homework is a total waste of time. Kids need social time and time to be kids. (like YOU had) I limit homework and when its too much we don't do it and I write a note, you need to advocate for your kids and draw a line in the sand. They should be doing the work at school, six hours of misery is enough.

Date: May 11, 2012 05:50PM

ypoi Wrote:
> For people who don't know and think the schools
> have been dumbed down, you couldn't be further
> from the truth. Walk a day in your child's
> shoes-sooooo much harder and soooo less social
> time and more control and more homework. No matter
> how old you are, if you grew up around here, your
> kids are working much harder than you did. And
> thank SOLS with no increase in outcome. Research
> has been consistent and (yes I can put a link up
> for you), that homework accomplishes nothing-it is
> like the placebo in birth control pills. I know
> many of you just want the system to keep your kids
> busy cause you don't trust them, but thats no
> answer. Homework is a total waste of time. Kids
> need social time and time to be kids. (like YOU
> had) I limit homework and when its too much we
> don't do it and I write a note, you need to
> advocate for your kids and draw a line in the
> sand. They should be doing the work at school, six
> hours of misery is enough.

I have been blessed with a gift of predicting the future. Hold on, I just had a vision.....I see your kid working in the HR department making 45k. Oh is that a studio apartment and a leased ford focus......niccccceee!!!

Posted by: marty ()
Date: May 11, 2012 07:01PM

calfin and hibbs is right. as another fcps teacher, i can verify--as a fact--that teachers are regularly instructed now not to grade homework and to give as little as possible.

This is just facts.

Also c & h is right about the reasons--parents have decided they are tired of raising their children--arguing with them, punishing them--and so they want to be affirmed in what they want to do--be their kid's "buddy" and blame the school.

as bill clinton observed, if you sow the wind.. . prepare to have your kid living with you indefinitely, that is, if you don't throw him out on the street after neglecting to raise him for 18 years

Posted by: It's not about time ()
Date: May 11, 2012 09:43PM

Not sure how you would expect a high school kid to master AP classes without doing some serious homework. Some kids take 2 or 3 in a year. And not sure how you can regulate the amount of time a kid spends on homework. One kid can spend 30 minutes getting the same work another kids gets done in an hour. I have more than one kid and each is different. One spent almost no time on homework and got everything done. Another spent hours on some nights – had to make her stop sometimes and tell her to just turn in whatever she got done. In the end all have done well.

Posted by: Thomas More ()
Date: May 11, 2012 11:51PM

Existing FCPS regulations limit total homework assignment to a student to not exceed 2 hours per night.

Teachers regularly ignore this limitation and pile on the "make work" garbage, use blackboard to assign grades and weight for homework, dragging down the grade of kids who demonstrate A level subject mastery on tests and quizzes.

Research shows that homework is counterproductive before the 11th grade.

The Finns don't give homework & their kids out score US kids on standardized test.

FUBAR

Posted by: ypoi ()
Date: May 12, 2012 08:00AM

hey native one: thanks for making my point moron, my kids all moved out of this suck state and went to good ivy league colleges and will NEVER be a fed govt worker or sit behind a desk and lead a life, like you do, of quiet desperation, driving like a hateful nut becuase you hate your dumbass job that you were able to get after going to Va Tech!!!

Posted by: wellputs ()
Date: May 12, 2012 08:07AM

Thomas Moore+1

and some FCPS teachers play Gotcha teaching where they don't even post it on blackboard (we have one that only does twitter) or they make it a matter of finding wierd obsolete or impossible versions of books and materials (we had to drive to the ocean last weekend to get a sample of sea water, 400 miles) it is INSANE and if parents would grow "a pair" and say no, it would stop, but of course this is suck up NOVA so, NO, they really want their kids abused, they like it in fact.

Posted by: That's a good one ()
Date: May 12, 2012 08:14AM

wellputs or wellplayed?

Your kid told you he needed sea water to do his homework so you drove him 400 miles to the beach…for his homework. Hey, I’ve got a bridge for sale…

Date: May 12, 2012 08:27AM

only after confirming with the teacher that it was required, moron-

Date: May 12, 2012 08:36AM

wellputs Wrote:
> only after confirming with the teacher that it was
> required, moron-

Not buying it. No way the teacher gave homework that meant you HAD to drive to the ocean. You were duped. I like your kid's style.

Date: May 12, 2012 08:53AM

f-off moron. The assignment was to compare water types: fresh and salt- Where do you get salt water around here? It is brackish to a certain point and we had to drive until we got to pure salt water. And we have gotten much more demanding and bizarre assignments in the past, is not unusual in the GT school!!!

Date: May 12, 2012 02:08PM

ypoi Wrote:
> hey native one: thanks for making my point moron,
> my kids all moved out of this suck state and went
> to good ivy league colleges and will NEVER be a
> fed govt worker or sit behind a desk and lead a
> life, like you do, of quiet desperation, driving
> like a hateful nut becuase you hate your dumbass
> job that you were able to get after going to Va
> Tech!!!

Is Strayer University an ivy league school now? Actually I didnt go to Tech although I have nothing against it. Also, if you must know I own a business. I am always looking for an errand boy, perhaps after your kid is done with his useless business degree he can apply.

Date: May 12, 2012 04:14PM

wellputs Wrote:
> f-off moron. The assignment was to compare water
> types: fresh and salt- Where do you get salt water
> around here? It is brackish to a certain point and
> we had to drive until we got to pure salt water.
> And we have gotten much more demanding and bizarre
> assignments in the past, is not unusual in the GT
> school!!!

"The GT school?" Which one is that? I've had kids in elementary and middle school GT center programs, TJHSST, and a regular high school. We never had to drive 400 miles for any of the kids to do their homework. You're making it up or misleading people about the assignment. No teacher forces a family to drive 400 miles to complete their homework.

Posted by: one teacher ()
Date: May 12, 2012 05:36PM

I had a teacher who had a simple rule: you could do homework and turn it in or depend totally on the results of your test. If you turned in the homework and bombed the test, you still got some credit. Funny thing, those who did the homework did not bomb the test.

My main problem is with teachers who give homework and don't grade it. The purpose of the homework should be to help you learn the material--it seems like some teachers don't understand that concept.

I don't think kids know how to study anymore. They don't know how to read and reflect on what they have read.

Date: May 12, 2012 06:31PM

one teacher Wrote:
> I had a teacher who had a simple rule: you could
> do homework and turn it in or depend totally on
> the results of your test. If you turned in the
> homework and bombed the test, you still got some
> credit. Funny thing, those who did the homework
> did not bomb the test.
>
> My main problem is with teachers who give homework
> and don't grade it. The purpose of the homework
> should be to help you learn the material--it seems
> like some teachers don't understand that concept.
>
> I don't think kids know how to study anymore.
> They don't know how to read and reflect on what
> they have read.

With the new standards based report cards, elementary students won't have their homework graded next year. A student won't be penalized (grade reduced) if the work is late either.

Posted by: former teacher ()
Date: May 12, 2012 07:30PM

"With the new standards based report cards, elementary students won't have their homework graded next year. A student won't be penalized (grade reduced) if the work is late either"

Wow! But when the students fail the SOL's you can best believe they will blame the teacher.......
I do think the instruction should come in class--not at home. However, the kids should be expected to have some responsibility to study and review. How else will they learn?
Where is "balance" in all of this-and common sense?

Posted by: robertG ()
Date: May 12, 2012 07:50PM

Well initially SOLS were only supposed to be a broad tool to determine the efficacy of the whole school, now (as usual) it is used against the student (and not so much against teacher or school) in this system it always comes down to blaming the student. SOLS are the worst piece of garbage to ever come down the road for education. NCLB is so damaging. If we really wanted to improve education we would do what they do in Scandanavia and make teaching a well paid profession that motivated people want to do and to restore dignity to students, who are now not much better than inmates.

Posted by: J Basshole ()
Date: May 12, 2012 10:23PM

JBass was an asshole in hs and got kicked out. He then graduated from Mountain View on the public's dime. He is a whining sack of shit who can't own up to the fact that his problems in Fairfax County schools were of his own doing. He is a crybaby who refuses to accept responsibility!

Date: May 13, 2012 07:30AM

Thats a good one: Wow, big deal-that you have had kids in all GT programs, not likely, just basing what I am saying on your experience makes me think that you know not what you speak. I cannot imagine making an assumption based solely on my own experience and condemning someone elses experience, what a baffoon you are. Yes, of course, we had to get a sample of ocean water, the teacher did not say, "you must drive 400 miles to get it",she did, however say that you had to take a million pictures of not only the water itself, the experiment and the kid standing at the shoreline to prove that you were actually there. F_YOU Asshole!!!

Posted by: Sad ()
Date: May 13, 2012 11:52AM

calfin and hibbs Wrote:
> ?
> I teach in FCPS and my homework turn in rate has
> dropped dramatically the last 10 years. At the
> same time, the amount of homework assigned has
> also dropped as the administrators are pushing to
> grade kids on tests not homeworks.
>
> I feel the opposite, I'm tiring out having to
> assume that kids will ONLY do work in the
> classroom and have been recently trained to have
> ZERO faith that anything productive happens
> between the times they leave the class til the
> time they return.
>
> Also our department policy has been no late work
> (unless excused) accepted and parents fight this
> tooth and nail!
>
> Somehow we've switched the emphasis on parents
> supporting teachers to parents challenging
> teachers to protect little timmy's image... Which
> is fine and their right but Timmy is a TOTALLY
> DIFFERENT PERSON when not at home and their
> lawyers (parents) have zero clue and think they
> are defending someone whom plays them with the
> same skill they try to play the school.
>
> Teaching kids that there is zero accountability to
> hard work as long as they somehow get correct
> answers down on tests is going to run this country
> into the ground.
>
> The government doesn't want to be IN YOUR HOUSE.
> The government is slowing taking ownership of your
> kids by making them dependant on school as the
> only place will actually do work, or should I say
> the only place that makes them do work.
>
> It's tough because it's MUCH rarer to find
> students that seem to have ownership and
> appreciation for their education anymore... WAY
> rarer... Kids don't want teachers force feeding
> them all the time... never having expectations for
> them to put in personal time and attention to the
> details when they are surrounded by a world of
> distractions.
>
> I started allowing electronic devices as an
> experiement and the first few days I did this (as
> kids are savy and they text CONSTANTLY whether you
> allow them or not) it was chaos... I never said I
> was allowing them to be a distraction and it took
> over 2 weeks but slowly they started to lose the
> stigma of needing to use their smart phones
> constantly. It was crazy. Their phones were
> buzzing like mad and this was DURING SCHOOL HOURS.
> Imagine when they are at home and their friends
> are all even less handicuffed to use their phones.
> Kids are bombarded with stimula and distraction
> and parents "seem" to be behind helping kids deal
> with this as it's generationally new to all.
>
> If you want to moan and groan that there is too
> much homework. You're somehow missing the point.
> There is the same homework given as always just
> your kids don't have as much time for it as they
> have way too many other social obligations slowing
> them down.
>
> 25 problems in a textbook will take you way longer
> when you are fitting in 3 text chats, a phone
> chat, being sent youtube links while skyping with
> your drug dealer.

Very disturbing post. And you are wrong to generalize parents, kids, and homework. My kid has a TREMENDOUS amount of homework, but her friend at a neighboring school has very little. I am not complaining about the homework, but making it clear that SOME SCHOOLS/TEACHERS DOLE OUT MORE HOMEWORK THAN OTHERS. My experience with teachers ranges from great to rotten. The great ones are compassionate people and passionate about their jobs. My kid is fortunate to have had many. However, she's had a few rotten ones that hate their jobs and don't like parental support, which they view as interference. Frankly, I wonder why these teachers stay in the classroom when it appears that they hate kids. You sound like one of those rotten teachers, so jaded you couldn't spot a good kid even if he/she sat in the front row of your class.

Date: May 13, 2012 12:17PM

wellputs Wrote:
> Thats a good one: Wow, big deal-that you have had
> kids in all GT programs, not likely, just basing
> what I am saying on your experience makes me think
> that you know not what you speak. I cannot imagine
> making an assumption based solely on my own
> experience and condemning someone elses
> experience, what a baffoon you are. Yes, of
> course, we had to get a sample of ocean water, the
> teacher did not say, "you must drive 400 miles to
> get it",she did, however say that you had to take
> a million pictures of not only the water itself,
> the experiment and the kid standing at the
> shoreline to prove that you were actually there.
> F_YOU Asshole!!!

Still don’t buy it. Now, my kids have done lots of projects that involved a lot of work and resources. But they weren’t forced to do them, these are things they chose. They’ve never gotten an assignment requiring what you describe. I know, I know, FCPS is corrupt and horrible, but there is no way a teacher gave an assignment to a class that required them to get to the ocean. This must have been a choice.

Date: May 14, 2012 07:47AM

J Basshole Wrote:
> JBass was an asshole in hs and got kicked out. He
> then graduated from Mountain View on the public's
> dime. He is a whining sack of shit who can't own
> up to the fact that his problems in Fairfax County
> schools were of his own doing. He is a crybaby who
> refuses to accept responsibility!

Went to Mountain View on the publics dime? Its a public school, lol. Whats great is how you like to distort facts, I requested the transfer to Mountain View, dummy.

Posted by: westfieldssoccer ()
Date: May 14, 2012 08:07AM

Mountain View is a better school, smaller classes, better-more qualified (higher number of teachers with advanced degrees, who actually want to be there) than base schools that suck. If they ran base schools like alternative schools FCPS would actually be a good place, instead of a prison system.

Date: May 14, 2012 08:11AM

that's a good one- I don't care if you "buy it", who cares what you think. If you want an A (and all GT Center Kids would kill for one, and actually kill themselves for a B) then you surpass and excel, not just meet expectations, and Yes we drive to the ocean, we visit the desert (literally) we spend lots of and lots of money and time, for a complete waste....thats the problem. I do this for my kid because he not only wants to-we have a f-ing RUBRIC that says so....

Date: May 14, 2012 07:09PM

wellputs Wrote:
> that's a good one- I don't care if you "buy it",
> who cares what you think. If you want an A (and
> all GT Center Kids would kill for one, and
> actually kill themselves for a B) then you surpass
> and excel, not just meet expectations, and Yes we
> drive to the ocean, we visit the desert
> (literally) we spend lots of and lots of money and
> time, for a complete waste....thats the problem. I
> do this for my kid because he not only wants to-we
> have a f-ing RUBRIC that says so....

Ok, so you drive to the ocean and the desert so your kid can go above and beyond. No one forced you or your child to do this. It was not part of the required homework (see the point of this topic). This was your choice.

Other kids are getting A’s and they don’t go to the ocean or to the desert to complete homework. If you and your kid want to spend more time and do more, that’s your right and I applaud your going above and beyond for your child. But it is above and beyond and not what is being required to get a good grade – even an A.

You wrote in your first post that parents don’t complain and “want their kids abused; they like it in fact.” Sounds like this isn’t the teacher’s fault that you go to this extreme, this was self-selected.

Posted by: smart dummies ()
Date: May 14, 2012 08:52PM

fcps is whacked. amount of homework isn't a function of anything, especially the talent of the teacher. bad teachers give a lot of homework because they don't know their subject matter. good teachers give a lot of homework to drive a lesson home.

homework doesn't make kids smarter - this generation may test higher but they don't have any life skills - a true tragedy. not even convinced that they are book smart. most older people learned more in out of state, non bragging public school systems - look at how many generations went to ivy and other exceptional universities and never heard of fcps until they moved here. how many modern teens, boys or girls, know how to mow a lawn, check oil or turn on a vacuum? whole generation of kids was taught to enrich themselves. period. no intuitive thoughts for anyone else. only actions for others is forced community service and they cheat at that. they don't need more projects - they need to be outside shoveling snow for an elderly neighbor and ought to have enough common sense to grab a rake when the lawn is covered with leaves.

Date: May 15, 2012 05:51AM

that's a good one- you need a hobby or something or maybe treatment- you really just have to be right, or get the last word- well you aren't so suck it up. The requirement was to get ocean water, it was on the rubric, so it was a requirement. Why you do not believe this reinforces my point, and you stick to it sooo stubbornly, refusing to believe or admit that this system is unrealistic and, at times, insane in its requirements of students and their parents. These students are expected to do things that I never would have to do, my parents would never have done them. Do you have GT kids???? Because other GT parents do the same things.

Posted by: APorIBMom ()
Date: May 15, 2012 06:53AM

Homework guidelines are in inherently imprecise, because students need different amounts of time to do the same homework assignment.

Wait until the schools start using "flipped instruction," which seems to be the latest education fad. That's where the kids teach themselves the material at home (how long will that take?), then come into class the next day to do the equivalent of homework problems.

Jane finishes the entire assignment in the first 10 minutes of class. Joe and a few other students struggle to answer the first question for the entire 40 minutes. Most students in the class need 15 to 45 minutes to finish the assignment.

Let's assume that a similar assignment, with the same number of problems, is given as additional homework for the next night. Is that a 20-minute assignment? A 35-minute assignment? Or a 1-hour assignment?

Posted by: snowdenscold ()
Date: May 15, 2012 08:54AM

http://oceanwaterinabottle.com/

Cheapear than gas.

I also call BS on driving to the ocean being any sort of 'requirement'. Sounds like someone took it to the extreme. Self-inficted for sure.

Date: May 15, 2012 06:00PM

wellputs Wrote:
> that's a good one- you need a hobby or something
> or maybe treatment- you really just have to be
> right, or get the last word- well you aren't so
> suck it up. The requirement was to get ocean
> water, it was on the rubric, so it was a
> requirement. Why you do not believe this
> reinforces my point, and you stick to it sooo
> stubbornly, refusing to believe or admit that this
> system is unrealistic and, at times, insane in its
> requirements of students and their parents. These
> students are expected to do things that I never
> would have to do, my parents would never have done
> them. Do you have GT kids???? Because other GT
> parents do the same things.

Yes, as I said before, I had kids go through GT centers, TJ, and a regular high school. We never had to do anything like drive to the ocean or the desert for any of our kids to complete a required homework assignment. And I have never heard from any of other GT parents (except those who post anonymously here) that they have, either. If any school has given an assignment that required each student to drive to the ocean, it would have it the papers.

I think the conversations about the value of homework, the amount of homework, and the nature of homework assignments are good. I just think it is ashamed when they are hijacked by someone making outrageous claims. It is my hope that people see through the hyperbole.

You say the assignment really exists. If so, name the school and post the entire assignment. And be sure to post all of it, not just a rubric. A rubric could simply provide a grading process for an extra credit assignment.

Posted by: question? ()
Date: May 15, 2012 06:30PM

I do not understand with all the regulations in the FCPS system that HW is so vastly different by each teacher in the same grade.

The same material is covered in the same grade and they teach to the same SOL test. Why the difference?

Posted by: whacked ()
Date: May 15, 2012 07:51PM

wellputs Wrote:
> that's a good one- you need a hobby or something
> or maybe treatment- you really just have to be
> right, or get the last word- well you aren't so
> suck it up. The requirement was to get ocean
> water, it was on the rubric, so it was a
> requirement. Why you do not believe this
> reinforces my point, and you stick to it sooo
> stubbornly, refusing to believe or admit that this
> system is unrealistic and, at times, insane in its
> requirements of students and their parents. These
> students are expected to do things that I never
> would have to do, my parents would never have done
> them. Do you have GT kids???? Because other GT
> parents do the same things.

Don't have a dog in this fight - could give a rats ass if you spent the weekend driving for a bottle of ocean water. fcps is whacked - look at the first sentence. report the teacher who is obviously ego driven - let me guess - he/she went to .... VT or UVA or WM ... land of the great for all who matter regardless of what you want to be in life ... land of where all the GT hope to reach. Stop and think if being dragged into the massses is worth it - maybe it is - baaaaaaa baaaaa black sheep

Posted by: Ego driven teacher or whack job parent? ()
Date: May 15, 2012 09:19PM

Not sure the teacher is obviously ego driven. Who know what the assignment was. Maybe the parent is "whacked." If a teacher tells you to drive to the ocean for the kid's homework, say no and call the cluster.

Posted by: hurray ()
Date: May 16, 2012 07:23PM

Ego driven teacher or whack job parent? Wrote:
> Not sure the teacher is obviously ego driven. Who
> know what the assignment was. Maybe the parent is
> "whacked." If a teacher tells you to drive to the
> ocean for the kid's homework, say no and call the
> cluster.

omg - a normal parent lives in fx co - hurray!

Posted by: You gotta be kidding me ()
Date: May 16, 2012 10:42PM

JBass, you're a fuckin dumbass. "Homework" in grade school for the most part is a total joke. As some posters above said, most kids come home having already finished their homework in school. In high school especially, homework in regular non-AP or honors classes is a cakewalk. AP and honors classes is where there as at least a decent level of rigor. And we wonder why our country is falling so miserably behind in areas such as math and science...

Date: May 16, 2012 11:29PM

With the new standards based grading,elementary students' homework won't go towards a grade anyhow. A lot of people will have to change their grading habits. For example, grades won't be docked due to being "late" and there won't be anything such as "extra credit" to raise the grade. Students will receive scores (1-4) based on how well they demonstrate competency on each standard.

Posted by: e\yu ()
Date: May 17, 2012 09:22AM

Ok= "thats a good one" I can go one further on the credibility scale- I am a provider to GT families and I hear this all the time. Irrational requirements of teachers- and YES< a drive to the ocean and many many other even more irrational demands that are not humanly doable, are required, not requested, MANDATORY. and these kids and their parents will do it!! Yes, we should say NO, but in FCPS, one person would have to start this, so far, I hear of no one ever saying NO to anything, these parents, including most posters here -are chickenshits.

Date: May 17, 2012 05:44PM

e\yu Wrote:
> Ok= "thats a good one" I can go one further on the
> credibility scale- I am a provider to GT families
> and I hear this all the time. Irrational
> requirements of teachers- and YES< a drive to the
> ocean and many many other even more irrational
> demands that are not humanly doable, are required,
> not requested, MANDATORY. and these kids and their
> parents will do it!! Yes, we should say NO, but in
> FCPS, one person would have to start this, so far,
> I hear of no one ever saying NO to anything, these
> parents, including most posters here -are
> chickenshits.

Thanks for your post, sounds like you know a lot of families who have been in GT programs. Maybe you can help show us some proof. Can you ask any of these parents to post these assignments? It should be easy. They either have them or their kids could get them off Blackboard.

I have never seen any of these assignments for my kids and have never had any friends say they have. If these required assignments exist, all I ask is that someone show them – or at least one of them. Not saying there weren’t times my kids felt they had too much work, but it wasn’t very often. While I never saw or heard about any outrageous assignments, there were some I thought were not very worthwhile and some too time consuming. Even so, none demanded anything like driving hundreds of miles to the ocean or the desert.

Posted by: project ()
Date: May 20, 2012 09:15PM

wat was this weekend's project? go anywhere fun?

Posted by: e\yu ()
Date: May 21, 2012 09:01AM

that's a good one- w/e...you think you are worth me doing a research project to show to you. jeez get over yourself, I don't care what you believe.

Date: May 21, 2012 05:54PM

No need to do any research. Just name a school and teacher. It’s clear this is bogus – if not, someone would site one specific example that can be verified by now. People make stuff up, post it here, and that screws up what could be a good conversation.

Posted by: westfieldssoccer ()
Date: May 22, 2012 07:58AM

Ok- Rocky Run, Ms Rodriguez-but this isn't isolated, happens all the time, you are just an OCD idiot, get medication.

Posted by: And the survey says... ()
Date: May 22, 2012 07:24PM

westfieldssoccer Wrote:
> Ok- Rocky Run, Ms Rodriguez-but this isn't
> isolated, happens all the time, you are just an
> OCD idiot, get medication.

Looks like most of the students like this teacher based on this anonymous survey. 5=great, 1=bad. None complains about homework.

Total Ratings: 45
Overall Easiness: 4.0
Overall Helpfulness: 4.3
Overall Clarity: 4.4

http://www.ratemyteachers.com/ileana-rodriguez/616959-t/5

Posted by: Ratemyass.com ()
Date: May 22, 2012 07:34PM

Fixed it for you. This is what all teenage boys think about during class.

Date: July 27, 2012 12:25PM

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/48343652/ns/today-back_to_school/#.UBK_vlwV3ec

Kids who do more homework actually perform worse on standardized tests, according to research by Sydney University educational psychologist Richard Walker

High-achieving students who are swamped with homework can suffer from poor mental and physical health,says Stanford University professor Denise Pope.

Research shows the majority of teachers underestimate the amount of homework they give by 50 percent, says Ann Dolin, author of Homework Made Simple: Tips, Tools, and Solutions for Stress-Free Homework.

Posted by: RedsCaps ()
Date: July 27, 2012 01:13PM

JBass, I think your whole pretense for this argument is unfounded. You have not demonstrated in any way anything to justify your theory. Homework has always been used as an extension for your class time. To expound upon information learned in class. To allow you to have critical thinking on your own and to apply information learned in the Classroom for your own independent thought. The MSNBC article you cite specifically singles out that in the last 3 years of schooling students actually greatly benefit from work outside the classroom. Younger children should not have a bunch of homework assignments, yes this is true. But most of the time they dont need them because elementary school education is prepping students for the High school and middle school curriculum. (times tables, Cursive, reading).

Also in the same story it states that students should be assigned about 10 minutes of hw for each grade level. IE grade 1 10 minutes, grade 5 50 minutes and so on. So please dont cherry pick quotes to try and prove your argument without citing the countermanding quotes.

Having projects, long term assignments and other homework prepares you for the real work and the real world. In real Life and in college you have a home life that you have to take care of bills, family, budgets. If you ever want to work for anything other than manual labor you have work efforts too. Coming up with ideas for the workplace, cost benefit analysis, and many other projects that take up too much time in the work day, to do.

Please stop claiming that the "government" is getting into your home life, due to "excessive homework". with proper planning and scheduling all of your homework can easily be completed in a timely manner.

Date: July 27, 2012 01:42PM

RedsCaps Wrote:
> JBass, I think your whole pretense for this
> argument is unfounded. You have not demonstrated
> in any way anything to justify your theory.
> Homework has always been used as an extension for
> your class time. To expound upon information
> learned in class. To allow you to have critical
> thinking on your own and to apply information
> learned in the Classroom for your own independent
> thought. The MSNBC article you cite specifically
> singles out that in the last 3 years of schooling
> students actually greatly benefit from work
> outside the classroom. Younger children should not
> have a bunch of homework assignments, yes this is
> true. But most of the time they dont need them
> because elementary school education is prepping
> students for the High school and middle school
> curriculum. (times tables, Cursive, reading).

Unfounded? I respect your right to disagree with me and if it were just me, sure maybe my ideas would be unfounded. The reality is there are many, many studies, scholars and educators who share the same opinion as myself. So please direct your claims of being 'unfounded' at the root of the argument, not my pretense on a national issue.

The MSNBC article does NOT state that 'in the last 3 years of schooling students actually greatly benefit from work outside the classroom' What it DOES say is that ONLY in the last 3 years do students see any boots to scores because of homework.
>
> Also in the same story it states that students
> should be assigned about 10 minutes of hw for each
> grade level. IE grade 1 10 minutes, grade 5 50
> minutes and so on. So please dont cherry pick
> quotes to try and prove your argument without
> citing the countermanding quotes.

Cherry pick quotes? Why would I quote someone with a contradicting opinion from mine? I shared the article so you could read it for yourself. You are acting like I took these quotes and didnt cite the source/context in which they are used. I appreciate your debate, but lets keep it to the facts and not convolute it with false accusations.
>
> Having projects, long term assignments and other
> homework prepares you for the real work and the
> real world. In real Life and in college you have a
> home life that you have to take care of bills,
> family, budgets. If you ever want to work for
> anything other than manual labor you have work
> efforts too. Coming up with ideas for the
> workplace, cost benefit analysis, and many other
> projects that take up too much time in the work
> day, to do.

Part-time jobs, team activities, chores, caring for a sibling and volunteer work also teach these life lessons. My concern is that with a couple hours of homework a night, the schoolwork takes up more than its fair share of the formative time frame.

>
> Please stop claiming that the "government" is
> getting into your home life, due to "excessive
> homework". with proper planning and scheduling all
> of your homework can easily be completed in a
> timely manner.

So right at the end you decide to pass a personal opinion off as a fact. You give a few valid, logical statements then go and do this. With compulsorily education laws forcing my hand, this is clear example of the government coming into my home. While you may be okay with such a thing, I am not. Just because you are okay having your entire life dictated, does not mean my claims are unfounded. Proper planning and scheduling may allow for adequate time to complete homework IF homework is the only education you wish for your kid. Please feel free to require more out of your student and leave me the time to spend my evening educating my child in a manner I see fit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2012 02:16PM by JBass.

Posted by: delores ()
Date: July 27, 2012 04:28PM

For people who just feel like bragging about how smart their particular kid is or how when they graduated 8 years ago homework wasn't an issue- you aren't either paying attention or you don't know. If your kid is taking a stupid AP class the homework load is outrageous and you, as adults, could not begin to do it, I would guess at your federal govt job or subcontractor for defense you couldn't do half of what these kids have to do now, so wake up.

Posted by: StudyBuddy ()
Date: July 27, 2012 07:06PM

Pile it on!!

Posted by: west ()
Date: July 28, 2012 10:37AM

it is the parents who screw up FCPS, thanks for illustrating it, homework accomplishes nothing, research proves this over and over, entry level teachers know this, but dumbass parents and tiger moms demand more punishment homework even if it is not only a waste of time, but damaging. Kids need to disconnect, have down time, do nothing, be a kid not a computer.

Posted by: Just another parent ()
Date: July 28, 2012 10:08PM

I agree the homework system is whacked. And it is the older teachers who are the worst.

Example 1. Sixth grade AAP: Two classes, one younger teacher, some homework, generally math to reinforce what was taught. One older teacher, lots of busy-work homework because, in her words, we have to get you ready for middle school.
Turned out that both groups of kids did well in middle school. Conclusion: extra homework was a waste of time.

Example 2. Seventh grade science teacher. Handed out more projects with detailed rubrics than she had time to correct. The projects disappeared into a black hole. No grades, never returned. Then teacher tried to say that the experience was more important than the grade. My kid can watch a tree grow in the back yard without doing a ten-page project about it.

This is one reason that I am a big fan of charter schools. Responsibility for success is local, with useless outside interference kept to a minimum.

Posted by: Yucky24. ()
Date: July 29, 2012 06:14PM

School should stay at school in my opinion. We should just get rid of summer vacation to compensate. Kids should also go to school from 9 to 5 in order to allow them to get more sleep in the morning and to remove the problem of kids coming home without parental supervision.

Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: July 29, 2012 06:26PM

do you remember writing this, bro?

Date: April 04, 2012 09:27PM

...........Why do people want to regulate everything that doesn't matter while our politicians rob us blind....................

different topic, but same sentiment - dont you agree?......or shouldnt you?

Posted by: just a thought ()
Date: July 31, 2012 08:11PM

Maybe if your kid is doing 5 hours of homework a night, he/she is just dumb and/or you're push him/her to hard. I would go with just dumb.

Posted by: FUCKwhs ()
Date: July 31, 2012 08:24PM

All the homework these "teachers" give is bullshit that means nothing and in no way relates to real life

Posted by: The_TRUTH ()
Date: July 31, 2012 08:50PM

I think they should give less homework.... but go year round! Why do you think Asians kick our butts in education?!

Posted by: heh love it ()
Date: August 01, 2012 01:39AM

haha you are all idiots, just saying.

Posted by: teachery teacher ()
Date: August 01, 2012 01:44AM

so strange how the kids who the did their homework in my math classes had by far the easiest time and highest scores on the tests.

JBass is cute though. I believed everything I read on hand picked websites once too. :)

how's that shit job coming along?

Posted by: ralphy ()
Date: August 01, 2012 01:48AM

And I'll go to college and learn some big words
And then talk really loud, GOD DAMN RIGHT I'LL BE HEARD,
And you'll remember that guy who said those big words he must have learned in College.

- by Issac Brock

I heard Jbass loves this song. :)

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.