HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Fairfax Water gets their water supply from the Potomac and the Occaquain rivers
Posted by: spunky ()
Date: November 21, 2008 07:44PM

These rivers are polluted, and yes I know I misspelled Occuquain (?).

If anyone falls into the Occ. while involved in Crew, 911 is called and they are taken immediately to the hospital.

So, if this is the source of our water supply, what's that say about our water safety?

I know the water is processed through filters and etc., but toxic is toxic. You can't take toxic and drink it safely.

Besides why should we settle for toxic, drinking supply or not?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fairfax Water gets their water supply from the Potomac and the Occaquain rivers
Posted by: que ()
Date: November 21, 2008 08:48PM

You need meds. Seriously. The world isn't out to kill you.

Re: Fairfax Water gets their water supply from the Potomac and the Occaquain rivers
Date: November 21, 2008 10:20PM

que Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You need meds. Seriously. The world isn't out to
> kill you.

Did I say that stupid, you are drinking this water too Bozo! Don't you care whatz

in it...I guess not and you probably let your babies drink it too IDIOT!

Some people deserve every damn thing they get!

Posted by: tubby ()
Date: November 21, 2008 11:50PM

Nahhhhh, I've been swimming and water skiing in the Potomac since the late 50's. If it would kill you, I'd have been dead a long time ago.

PS: It used to be REALLY nasty...it is amazing how much the River has been cleaned up. Hell, they have major bass tournaments in the Upper Potomac now....bass don't tolerate dirty water. I've had many a cup of coffee made from water dipped right out of the River!

Date: November 21, 2008 11:54PM

OK, test it sometime.

http://www.vdh.virginia.gov/epidemiology/DEE/PublicHealthToxicology/Advisories/index.htm

Check this site out,it will tell you tubby what the toxins are in each boby of water of VA and the Potomac. There's some fish you can and can't eat and size matters and how you cook it. But almost all say not to eat more then two 8 ozs a mouth from these waters, and no children and no pregnant women should eat fish from these waters at all.

It's sad we have destroyed a great past time and source of food, and water.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2008 12:23AM by spunky.

Posted by: trogdor! ()
Date: November 22, 2008 01:35PM

spunky Wrote:
> OK, test it sometime.
>
>
> http://www.vdh.virginia.gov/epidemiology/DEE/Publi
> cHealthToxicology/Advisories/index.htm
>
> Check this site out,it will tell you tubby what
> the toxins are in each boby of water of VA and the
> Potomac. There's some fish you can and can't eat
> and size matters and how you cook it. But almost
> all say not to eat more then two 8 ozs a mouth
> from these waters, and no children and no pregnant
> women should eat fish from these waters at all.
>

Aside from moving, what should we do about it? I filter my consumption water with a Brita, but I'm going to get one of these soon: http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=10034720

The biggest problem I think with Fairfax water is the level of chlorine they put in the water. That is necessary of course, because the water is so 'crappy', but it also creates Trihalomethanes which are known carcinogens....breathing that in while in the shower is probably going to kill us all: http://www.agen.ufl.edu/~wq/thm/

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2008 01:36PM by trogdor!.

Posted by: formerhick76 ()
Date: November 22, 2008 09:29PM

Yet all the while life expectancy keeps going up.

Wouldn't they just throw raw sewage into the Potomac and other rivers in the 19th century? I doubt the river's been clean for the past 300 years.

Date: November 23, 2008 01:10AM

But hey,Spunky, I bet you don't bat an eye sitting at a light with some pollution belching SUV's exhaust pipe spewing noxious fumes inches from your face.

Date: November 23, 2008 01:53AM

tubby, you know what these days when I bat an eye, they stick sometime stick so I have to be very careful about my eye batting and winking now or I'll look the fool. I can't have that!

I did have a SUV for a while and got rid of that thing, I was ashamed to drive it. I never could understand why way back in the 70's when we knew we needed to make changes to our world and didn't, why we just ignored the problems and made things worse?

I hate cars that spit out fumes they should be taken off the road. I think we should be allowed to shoot them say with a paint ball gun or something for not being envirnomentally thoughtful, same goes for bad drivers. So you would know that with paint ball splaters on their cars were either bad drivers or bad to our ozone, and to stay away from them.

Stupid things irritate me, especially killing our planet.

Date: November 23, 2008 02:23AM

Point taken, spunky.

But really, the River is SO, SO much cleaner than it was in the 60's! The Clean Water Act and lots of LBJ's other "communist" measures really worked.

Ronnie Raygun tried to reverse it all, but Americans by then decided we liked clean rivers and lakes and that corporate America was not going to dump raw effluent in our waterways just to save a few bucks.

Despite their protestations to the contrary....the cost of proper disposal of industrial wastes didn't "put them out of business".

Date: November 23, 2008 02:40AM

Point taken tubby, well made.

Posted by: Bill Sikes ()
Date: November 23, 2008 10:47AM

Fairfax City gets its water from Goose Creek in Loudoun County. They have a water treatment plant out near Leesburg.

Posted by: Suburbs ()
Date: November 24, 2008 09:56AM

spunky Wrote:
> tubby, you know what these days when I bat an eye,
> they stick sometime stick so I have to be very
> careful about my eye batting and winking now or
> I'll look the fool. I can't have that!
>
> I did have a SUV for a while and got rid of that
> thing, I was ashamed to drive it. I never could
> understand why way back in the 70's when we knew
> we needed to make changes to our world and didn't,
> why we just ignored the problems and made things
> worse?
>
> I hate cars that spit out fumes they should be
> taken off the road. I think we should be allowed
> to shoot them say with a paint ball gun or
> something for not being envirnomentally
> thoughtful, same goes for bad drivers. So you
> would know that with paint ball splaters on their
> cars were either bad drivers or bad to our ozone,
> and to stay away from them.
>
> Stupid things irritate me, especially killing our
> planet.

Okay, so you're like a 'reformed smoker' only for the environment. You used to drive an SUV, but now you don't,

I bet you're as much a jerk in person to people who still drive trucks and SUVs as an ex-smoker is to people who still smoke.

If you think it's filthy water, do something about it. Posting here isn't really doing much, there aren't enough readers and very few are anyone of importance.
[Sorry Gravis, :-)]

Go out an make a difference, Tubby is right, the Potomac used to be A LOT worse. People got involved and worked to clean it up. They didn't sit on their butts bitching on some obscure forum.

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: November 24, 2008 10:36AM

The NoVA Soil & Water Conservation District relies on volunteers to help collect data on local streams.

http://www.fairfaxmonitors.org

That's one way to help, plus you'll learn more about the subject. There are also volunteer groups who go around collecting garbage and junk out of the Potomac and local streams.

"Suburbs" is right, FU isn't the right venue if you plan to foment a water-quality revolution. At least join some kind of volunteer group first, and then come on here to enlighten people on what you are doing and try to recruit others. Thst's actually doing something about it.

Posted by: Lurker. ()
Date: November 24, 2008 11:06AM

Read the annual report and then compare it against other areas. Fairfax water is far superior.

http://www.fcwa.org/water/water.htm

Posted by: Annon Imous ()
Date: November 24, 2008 01:35PM

What I'd like to know is, since we get our water from a river and the Potomac doesn't seem to be in any danger of drying up, why the fuck can't I buy a toilet that actually has enough water in the bowl to cover my shit so it doesn't stink as much?

(On top of that, since my neighbors have big lawns that they maintain with masive amounts of water and chemicals, and I don't, why can't I take a half a percent of the water I save and get a voucher that lets me buy a real toilet?)

We live in a civilized country, and to me one of the benefits of civilization is being able to shit into a toilet bowl full of water.

Posted by: Don's Johns ()
Date: November 24, 2008 02:12PM

Hey, just be glad you don't have to convert urine to water like the astronauts do in this story!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081123/ap_on_sc/space_shuttle;_ylt=AtrgGoazufzHygWMYme_ytEDW7oF

Posted by: formerhick76 ()
Date: November 24, 2008 04:27PM

Falls Church buys its water from Fairfax, and then Vienna buys its water from Falls Church. Or am I wrong here?

Arlington gets its water from the Corps of Engineers which provides water for DC.

What about Alexandria -- and does Herndon have its own town water supplier like Vienna?

Posted by: Lurker. ()
Date: November 24, 2008 04:49PM

DCWASA supplies water to DC. http://www.dcwasa.com/

Drinking water in the District of Columbia is drawn from the Potomac River at Great Falls and Little Falls by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Washington Aqueduct and is treated at two water treatment plants, Dalecarlia and McMillan.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2008 04:54PM by Lurker..

Date: November 24, 2008 06:13PM

How do you know that I am not volunteering?

It doesn't matter how much you clean up the top of the area, it's the toxins and the run-off that's the problem.

Informing others of something I discover is no different then anyone else who does the same on this site, to the one who was to much of a coward to post with their usual registered name.

Grow-up and stop being such a bully...you are very insecure.

I have heard for some time that the DC water supply was not good to drink but I didn't know that was provided by the Potomac, which also provides Fairfax.

Posted by: Clown Shoe ()
Date: November 24, 2008 06:21PM

Thanks Spunky for pointing out that the county water comes from the potomac and the potomac has some toxins.

I see planes in the air every now and then, is there some type of airport nearby?

Posted by: detail ()
Date: November 24, 2008 07:09PM

Clown Shoe Wrote:
> Thanks Spunky for pointing out that the county
> water comes from the potomac and the potomac has
> some toxins.
>
> I see planes in the air every now and then, is
> there some type of airport nearby?

One would expect there to be an airport for airplanes.

One would expect clean drinking water where anyone can fish

and eat their catch, but that's not the case.

Why don't you go ahead and put that shoe in your mouth Clown, because

you look pretty stupid to me.

Thanks Spunky for the input. Keep it up!

I think your interesting.

Posted by: Radiophile ()
Date: November 24, 2008 07:54PM

detail Wrote:

> Thanks Spunky for the input. Keep it up!
>
> I think your interesting.

He is interested Spunky! Go for. Buy him a drink! Where are you going to register?

Date: November 24, 2008 09:41PM

Radio...Bite me!

Right now...men are dogs!

Dogs bite...you can shoot dogs that bite, right?

Posted by: 911 is called? ()
Date: November 24, 2008 09:49PM

Since I have worked many regattas at Sandy Run on the Occoquan and am in the fire dept, where did you get the idea that if someone falls in teh water that they call 911 and take them to the hospital? There is no such standing policy in teh Fairfax Fire and Rescue dept. If someone falls in teh water, it's usually because they caught a crab (got hit by an oar) and knocked in, so they're checked for injuries and for hypothermia - but there's definitely nothing in the policies or procedures that says exposure to river water = a trip to the hospital!

Posted by: bdimag ()
Date: November 24, 2008 10:02PM

Annon Imous Wrote:
> What I'd like to know is, since we get our water
> from a river and the Potomac doesn't seem to be in
> any danger of drying up, why the fuck can't I buy
> a toilet that actually has enough water in the
> bowl to cover my shit so it doesn't stink as
> much?
>
> (On top of that, since my neighbors have big lawns
> that they maintain with masive amounts of water
> and chemicals, and I don't, why can't I take a
> half a percent of the water I save and get a
> voucher that lets me buy a real toilet?)
>
> We live in a civilized country, and to me one of
> the benefits of civilization is being able to shit
> into a toilet bowl full of water.

lmao, alright Al

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2008 10:02PM by bdimag.

Date: November 24, 2008 11:09PM

911 is called? Wrote:
> Since I have worked many regattas at Sandy Run on
> the Occoquan and am in the fire dept, where did
> you get the idea that if someone falls in teh
> water that they call 911 and take them to the
> hospital? There is no such standing policy in teh
> Fairfax Fire and Rescue dept. If someone falls in
> teh water, it's usually because they caught a crab
> (got hit by an oar) and knocked in, so they're
> checked for injuries and for hypothermia - but
> there's definitely nothing in the policies or
> procedures that says exposure to river water = a
> trip to the hospital!

You better check that out further 911, just because you don't

do it doesn't mean that it isn't a requirement, and the river isn't

hazardous to those who fall in. Ask those who live around it. I have

seen enough of the kids hauled out during practice and off in an ambulance after

just falling in the water, and was told by the coaches it was due to the toxins

in the water.

I am so glad my life doesn't depend on your knowledge...or lack of!

Another example of the blind leading the blind, igornance can be a desease, it's

your job to cure your own self.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2008 11:11PM by spunky.

Date: November 24, 2008 11:21PM

Yeah, I'm glad your life doesn't depend on me either, since you take more advice on medical issues from a school coach than from a trained firefighter/EMT. Why don't you try growing a brain instead of resorting to personal attacks when someone posts something you don't agree with?

There is no such policy in the fire dept. Period. If the coach calls, and the school/student/parent wants, we transport. Just like we do with the 90+% of other calls to 911 that are really not medical emergencies but when a citizen calls we answer. But we have no automatic requirement based on the water.

Think about it. If it were so toxic that any immersion required hospital evaluation then it would be posted so heavily that you wouldn't even be able to get near the water, and there is no way the school's insurance would allow them to put students over the top of it in a 'boat' where falling in is a regular event.

Get a life, get a clue, get some information but stop clouding the issue with personal attacks.

Posted by: Bob ()
Date: November 25, 2008 03:32AM

spunky Wrote:
>
>
> I have heard for some time that the DC water
> supply was not good to drink but I didn't know
> that was provided by the Potomac, which also
> provides Fairfax.

DC's water isn't good to drink because of the ancient water mains that have organic materials like plants and dead animals in them, that requires high levels of chlorine and ammonia to make "healthy" to drink. Chlorine, ammonia and organic material creates trihalomethanes.

DC water is high in trihalomethanes. 41 ppb "average." (ffx cnty reports a high average of 19 ppb and a system average of 3 - 30). They claim to have "ND" perchlorate, but that's impossible considering ffx cnty reports detecting "below 1 ppb."

My only question is why do they still use ammonia and chlorine (combined, equals mustard gas, basically) to "clean" our water, when there are much healthier ways to sanitize our water.

Date: November 25, 2008 04:33AM

911 is called? Wrote:
> Yeah, I'm glad your life doesn't depend on me
> either, since you take more advice on medical
> issues from a school coach than from a trained
> firefighter/EMT. Why don't you try growing a brain
> instead of resorting to personal attacks when
> someone posts something you don't agree with?
>
> There is no such policy in the fire dept. Period.
> If the coach calls, and the school/student/parent
> wants, we transport. Just like we do with the 90+%
> of other calls to 911 that are really not medical
> emergencies but when a citizen calls we answer.
> But we have no automatic requirement based on the
> water.
>
> Think about it. If it were so toxic that any
> immersion required hospital evaluation then it
> would be posted so heavily that you wouldn't even
> be able to get near the water, and there is no way
> the school's insurance would allow them to put
> students over the top of it in a 'boat' where
> falling in is a regular event.
>
> Get a life, get a clue, get some information but
> stop clouding the issue with personal attacks.

OK...911, LET ME BE THE FIRST TO SAY THAT I HAVE BEEN ATTACKED

ON ALL LEVELS SINCE APPEARING HERE ON THIS SITE, SO AS A RESULT

I HAVE BECOME SOMEWHAT DEFENSIVE, BUT NO EXCUSE...SO AS THEY SAY 2 WRONGS DON'T

MAKE A RIGHT.

BUT YOU SAID YOU WERE PART OF FC FIRE DEPT, SO DO YOU HAVE OR GET STAT INFO ON

RIVERS ON THE OCCOAQUAN? I WOULD SAY NO, BUT IF YOU DID, I WOULD SAY THAT ISN'T

PART OF YOUR EXPERTISE, NOR WOULD I DEPEND ON YOU FOR EXPERT INFO. IN REGARDS TO

THAT FIELD. NOW THE COACHES ARE ON THAT WATER TOO SO THEY HAVE A VESTED INTEREST

IN THE CONDITION OF THE WATER, SO I WOULD TRUST THEIR KNOWLEDGE BEFORE YOURS ANY

DAY. AS FAR AS INSURANCE GOES, THE KIDS PAY FOR THEIR PARTICIPATION IN CREW

SINCE IT'S AN EXPENSIVE SPORT, I AM NOT SURE ABOUT LIABLITY, BUT CONSIDERING

THAT WE GET OUR DRINKING WATER FROM THAT SOURCE AND THAT WE ARE TALKING ABOUT THE

FCPS, WHERE IT'S OBVIOUS THAT SO MUCH THOUGHT AND CARE AND OUR MONEY IS CAREFULLY

PUT INTO EACH AND EVERY CHILD, I SURE THEY ARE CONCERNED OVER THE CONDITIONS OF

THE RIVER AND OUR KIDS ON IT. YES I AM BEING SARCASTIC, YOU AREN'T AS OLD AS I,

I BET, NOR DO YOU HAVE KIDS IN FCPS?

YOU HAVEN'T TALKED TO ANYONE WHO ACTUALLY HAS BEEN INVOLVED IN CREW AND PRACTICES

THERE OR LIVES THERE. NO ONE GETS IN THAT WATER THAT LIVES THERE. WHEN YOU ARE

THERE DON'T NOTICE NONE OF THEM HAVE PIERS TO GIVE THEM ACCESS TO THE WATER,

THERE'S REASON FOR THAT. DID YOU LOOK AT THE SITE I GOOGLE HERE AND PLANTED IN

THE POSTY FOR TUBBY? FROM THE VA DEPT OF HEALTH IT SHOWS ALL THE BODIES OF WATER

IN VA THEIR POLLUTION LEVELS, AND THEY ARE ALL POLLUTED AND BY HOW MUCH AND WITH

WHAT, IT'S REALLY EYE-POPING.

NOW 911...I HAVE THOUGHT ABOUT ALOT...I HAVE ALIFE...AND I HAVE A CLUE...AND I AM

SORRY I HURT YOUR FEELINGS, IT WASN'T PERSONAL AND NOT INTENDED...I GREW UP ON A

RIVER AND WOKE UP IN THE MORNINGS AND JUMPED IN THE LAKE AND SWAM AND LOVED IT. I

HAVE BEEN AROUND WATER ALL MY LIFE AND IT ANGERS ME TO SEE THEM BEING KILLED, JUST

LIKE THE FOREST AND UNDEVELOPED LAND, THESE ARE LIVING THINGS ALSO THAT NEED TO BE

LOVED AND PROTECTED FOR OUR KIDS AND THEIRS AND ON AND ON...WE DON'T HAVE THE

RIGHT TO DESTROY ANYTHING.

IT'S TO BAD WE DON'T HAVE AMBULANCES FOR SERVICING OUR POLLUTED STREAMS AND RIVERS AND DWINDLING FOREST MAYBE IT WOULD HELP GET PEOPLE'S ATTENTION FOCUSED IN ON OUR PROBLEM BECAUSE IT'S US WHO WILL MAKE THE DIFFERENCE.

I AM THANKFUL 4 U 911!

Posted by: 496 ()
Date: November 25, 2008 08:18AM

fucking looney

Posted by: angelus42774 ()
Date: November 25, 2008 02:22PM

Spunky, what kind of car do you drive, Miss High and Mighty? Do you drive a Prius or some kind of eco friendly car? if not, shutty uppy you pie face.

Posted by: TRICKIE ()
Date: November 25, 2008 02:30PM

I kayak on the Occoquan a lot. Plus I have had the misfortune to tip over a few times. No one called 911 and it was right in front of the workers there at the park. The park is called Fountainhead park. The water may not be the cleanest, but hey I grew up on Lake Erie in the 50's. That was on fire a lot and we swam there all the time. I don't have any funky skin diseases or anything.

Trickie

Date: November 25, 2008 02:41PM

Spanky - ok, accepted that you're defensive but PLEASE DONT SHOUT.

I looked at the links you posted. I saw that the primary contaminant is PCBs and that fish, who swim/drink/whatever in that water 24/7/365 are safe to eat with the recommendation of no more than 2 times per month.

The contamination is there, but it's not at a level that warrants hospital evaluation just for falling in if it's safe to eat the fish twice a month.

Ref: age - well, I'm over 40 and proud of it.

Ref: kids in FCPS, I had two graduate proudly, thank you very much. And if you think they thoughtfully think of each and every kid as a system, I've got some subprime mortgages to sell you. The individual teachers are great and truly care about the children they teach - the same cannot be said for an administration more concerned about buying its own Taj Mahal than supplying classrooms with basic supplies (remember our kids are sent out to collect donations every year?).

It may be a school policy to call 911 for someone who simply fell in the water but is uninjured, but if so that's idiotic. 911 is for immediate life-threatening injuries, not for someone who may/may not need a tetanus shot or whatever from falling in the water. Every time a citizen calls 911 they get 2-6 people who risk their lives to respond. Yes, risk their lives. Every time I go out on the road with the lights and siren on, I risk my life - have you seen the way drivers don't know or don't care to follow the law and pull over and STOP? All we ask is for a little common sense and no abuse of the system.

What you described is just that - abuse of the system. There is no way that a 'possible' exposure to the levels in the report you linked from falling in the water warrants the risk of 2-6 people's lives. 2 people = BLS ambulance. If there's any trouble breathing, dizziness (have you jumped in the water here? the cold will take your breath away) then it's an ALS call and gets an engine w/paramedic and a paramedic ambulance = 6 people.

Yes, I am concerned about the health of the water, and the health and safety of our community. No, I am not concerned that the levels of contaminants cited warrant a trip to the hospital. I have training in hazardous materials, and the dept cares about the safety of its members, and we have no prohibition from entering the water due to its contamination. Safety of personnel is paramount in the fire dept, and that should give you a clue as to whether a 911 call is really necessary for an uninjured person who just fell in the water.

Posted by: Radiophile ()
Date: November 25, 2008 04:42PM

spunky Wrote:
I GREW UP ON A
>
> RIVER AND WOKE UP IN THE MORNINGS AND JUMPED IN
> THE LAKE AND SWAM AND LOVED IT. I

If that river was polluted, THAT would explain alot about Spunky.

Posted by: 70chip ()
Date: November 25, 2008 05:14PM

Spunky is bottled water pumper who is hiding his agenda. I boat, fish, and swim the upper Potomac 2 dozen times a summer. The water is clear as GIN when its not flooding from torrential rains. Here in the east we have RAIN. So much, the non-tidal rivers here typically flush their entire contents out every 1-2 weeks. Why don't you go out there and see for yourself. Drink tap water.. its better for the environment.

Posted by: TRICKIE ()
Date: November 25, 2008 06:12PM

Her name is Spunky not Spanky. Just wanted to let you know.

Trickie

Posted by: bus driver ()
Date: November 25, 2008 07:53PM

911 is called? Wrote:
> Spanky - ok, accepted that you're defensive but
> PLEASE DONT SHOUT.
>
> I looked at the links you posted. I saw that the
> primary contaminant is PCBs and that fish, who
> swim/drink/whatever in that water 24/7/365 are
> safe to eat with the recommendation of no more
> than 2 times per month.
>
> The contamination is there, but it's not at a
> level that warrants hospital evaluation just for
> falling in if it's safe to eat the fish twice a
> month.
>
> Ref: age - well, I'm over 40 and proud of it.
>
> Ref: kids in FCPS, I had two graduate proudly,
> thank you very much. And if you think they
> thoughtfully think of each and every kid as a
> system, I've got some subprime mortgages to sell
> you. The individual teachers are great and truly
> care about the children they teach - the same
> cannot be said for an administration more
> concerned about buying its own Taj Mahal than
> supplying classrooms with basic supplies (remember
> our kids are sent out to collect donations every
> year?).
>
> It may be a school policy to call 911 for someone
> who simply fell in the water but is uninjured, but
> if so that's idiotic. 911 is for immediate
> life-threatening injuries, not for someone who
> may/may not need a tetanus shot or whatever from
> falling in the water. Every time a citizen calls
> 911 they get 2-6 people who risk their lives to
> respond. Yes, risk their lives. Every time I go
> out on the road with the lights and siren on, I
> risk my life - have you seen the way drivers don't
> know or don't care to follow the law and pull over
> and STOP? All we ask is for a little common sense
> and no abuse of the system.
>
> What you described is just that - abuse of the
> system. There is no way that a 'possible' exposure
> to the levels in the report you linked from
> falling in the water warrants the risk of 2-6
> people's lives. 2 people = BLS ambulance. If
> there's any trouble breathing, dizziness (have you
> jumped in the water here? the cold will take your
> breath away) then it's an ALS call and gets an
> engine w/paramedic and a paramedic ambulance = 6
> people.
>
> Yes, I am concerned about the health of the water,
> and the health and safety of our community. No, I
> am not concerned that the levels of contaminants
> cited warrant a trip to the hospital. I have
> training in hazardous materials, and the dept
> cares about the safety of its members, and we have
> no prohibition from entering the water due to its
> contamination. Safety of personnel is paramount in
> the fire dept, and that should give you a clue as
> to whether a 911 call is really necessary for an
> uninjured person who just fell in the water.

The County is scared of getting sued, so they call 911 for just about anything. Stupid shit like a kid getting a bloody nose on the bus....which happens numerous times EVERY day.

FCPS wastes tons of the FCPD's time too. The police are called whenever anything touches a school bus. Just the other day, I kissed a sign at a school with my right side mirror. Absolutely no damage to the sign or the mirror. The police are called to look at NOTHING. So, now I have an "accident" on my record. Have two of these in a year and they can fire you.

Date: November 25, 2008 08:52PM

911 is called? Wrote:
> PLEASE DONT SHOUT.
>
> I looked at the links you posted. I saw that the
> primary contaminant is PCBs and that fish, who
> swim/drink/whatever in that water 24/7/365 are
> safe to eat with the recommendation of no more
> than 2 times per month.
>
> The contamination is there, but it's not at a
> level that warrants hospital evaluation just for
> falling in if it's safe to eat the fish twice a
> month.
>
> Ref: age - well, I'm over 40 and proud of it.
>
> Ref: kids in FCPS, I had two graduate proudly,
> thank you very much. And if you think they
> thoughtfully think of each and every kid as a
> system, I've got some subprime mortgages to sell
> you. The individual teachers are great and truly
> care about the children they teach - the same
> cannot be said for an administration more
> concerned about buying its own Taj Mahal than
> supplying classrooms with basic supplies (remember
> our kids are sent out to collect donations every
> year?).
>
> It may be a school policy to call 911 for someone
> who simply fell in the water but is uninjured, but
> if so that's idiotic. 911 is for immediate
> life-threatening injuries, not for someone who
> may/may not need a tetanus shot or whatever from
> falling in the water. Every time a citizen calls
> 911 they get 2-6 people who risk their lives to
> respond. Yes, risk their lives. Every time I go
> out on the road with the lights and siren on, I
> risk my life - have you seen the way drivers don't
> know or don't care to follow the law and pull over
> and STOP? All we ask is for a little common sense
> and no abuse of the system.
>
> What you described is just that - abuse of the
> system. There is no way that a 'possible' exposure
> to the levels in the report you linked from
> falling in the water warrants the risk of 2-6
> people's lives. 2 people = BLS ambulance. If
> there's any trouble breathing, dizziness (have you
> jumped in the water here? the cold will take your
> breath away) then it's an ALS call and gets an
> engine w/paramedic and a paramedic ambulance = 6
> people.
>
> Yes, I am concerned about the health of the water,
> and the health and safety of our community. No, I
> am not concerned that the levels of contaminants
> cited warrant a trip to the hospital. I have
> training in hazardous materials, and the dept
> cares about the safety of its members, and we have
> no prohibition from entering the water due to its
> contamination. Safety of personnel is paramount in
> the fire dept, and that should give you a clue as
> to whether a 911 call is really necessary for an
> uninjured person who just fell in the water.

911...in your previous thread you complained that I attacked you personally

and I addressed your issue head-on, but let's call attention to the fact that

in that same post you attacked me personally. So whatz up with you? ????

Thank you Trickie...my name is Spunky...not Spanky...another personal attack?

At least I handled the issues you addressed with some degree of maturity in the

midst of some immaturity on your part. I just wanted to see if you would even

acknowledge it for yourself, NO, just like a man! Keep in mind also, I am not

yelling as well!

I am glad to hear you have kids, so there's hope for you, maybe? I thoroughly

appreciate teachers it's the admin. that is failing the schools, this we agree.

I can only report what I see, and as a result be very concerned especially when

it involves children and what otherwise should be a safe environment, like a

river. Perhaps you are right, it is over kill for the sake of liability? But

having worked with the government I know there's a lot more that doesn't meet the

eyes and that we aren't told, and will never be told, so call me a skeptic, at

times. I guess I know to much. At your age, especially having had exposure to

hazmats you too are aware of the dangers in our environment, which seem to only

be getting worse. Bush has signed into law allowing companies to dump more waste

into our streams and rivers,plus more destructive environmental laws which benefit

corporations here in his last days.

Radio...My lake was clean and pure, as far as I know. But there were alot of farms around with it's usual amount of run-off with fertilizers and etc, which
was bad, but it had catfish as big as humans in it! Kelly Pickler grew up there
and we all talk just like her, and proud of it. You'd never meet a nicer bunch
of people in your life, then from there. That's the truth! If I'm a ly'n, I'm
a cry'n, and there ain't a tear in my eye!

Date: November 25, 2008 08:59PM

Spunky - my apologies on mistyping your name, it was truly a typo.

Rather than continue this 'she hit me first' back and forth I'll just say that when attacked, I defended myself. When you apologized I accepted and let it go. My last post had not a single attack against you in it, so I would appreciate the same courtesy in return.

Instead, you continue the attacks.

I appreciate your posting the info and stimulating the discussion. I don't appreciate how you turn everyone who disagrees with you into an enemy, rather than look at what was presented and apply it to your visual reality of what you've seen.

'nuff said for goodness sake.

Date: November 25, 2008 10:28PM

lOOK 911... 'nuff said...not so fast.

Date: November 24, 2008 11:21PM

Yeah, I'm glad your life doesn't depend on me either, since you take more advice on medical issues from a school coach than from a trained firefighter/EMT. Why

don't you try growing a brain instead of resorting to personal attacks when

WELL "GROW A BRAIN", IS A PERSONAL ATTACK, IS IT NOT? WHICH YOU DIDN'T OWN UP TO.

someone posts something you don't agree with?

Date: November 25, 2008 08:52PM

911 is called? Wrote:

I DON'T BELIEVE THIS WAS JUST A TYPO WHICH YOU LATER SAID. YOU ALSO SAID THERE
WAS NO PERSONAL ATTACKS IN THIS POST, BUT I CONSIDER, THIS PLAY ON MY NAME TO BE ONE.

> PLEASE DONT SHOUT.

Now that I have taken the time to clear that little discrepancies up, I feel much better, thank you for humoring me.

On another note if I treated everyone that had different views then I as enemies, then why did I bother to apologize to you? It's because I care and that is not my intention at all. After re-reading the posts I felt you to be uninformed on the issue and the information I had previously provided and ultimately somewhat attacked as a result. Due to this I don't think I attacked you anymore then you me... on a personal level.

I thoroughly enjoy stimulating conversations and the last thing I want to do is be attacked or attack, but be friends and respectful of one another, regardless of disagreements...understand?

You said I continued to attack you, but I don't see it that way, I was making some

observations, sort of like you, but in different ways. Communication is so

important, don't you agree? But thank you for the introspective it's been

informative and please don't consider any of this an attack either, as it is not.

Now...'nuff 4 goodness sakes.

Date: November 25, 2008 10:40PM

Oh for goodness sake. It's no wonder this country is in trouble with flakes like you running around hugging trees without bothering to know what you're talking about.

"I don't believe you" to an apology is real cute. Well, I don't believe your apology so there! Nah nah nah nah nah nah.

If you're interested, go back and read the posts in sequence. I'd say you might learn something but that would be giving more credit than your behavior shows you deserve.

Have a nice life (but be careful, the water may jump up and bite you), I've got better uses for my time than trying to glean the intelligent few remarks from such an idiot.

Date: November 25, 2008 10:51PM

911 is called? Wrote:
> Oh for goodness sake. It's no wonder this country
> is in trouble with flakes like you running around
> hugging trees without bothering to know what
> you're talking about.
>
> "I don't believe you" to an apology is real cute.
> Well, I don't believe your apology so there! Nah
> nah nah nah nah nah.
>
> If you're interested, go back and read the posts
> in sequence. I'd say you might learn something but
> that would be giving more credit than your
> behavior shows you deserve.
>
> Have a nice life (but be careful, the water may
> jump up and bite you), I've got better uses for my
> time than trying to glean the intelligent few
> remarks from such an idiot.

You are a fraud and I suspected it from the beginning.

I showed you to be a liar bit by truthful bit and what did you

do attack me just like you said you didn't believe in doing.

If you were for real you would register but you hide behind this

unregistered name...You are probably 496, MrMephisto, Meeper, Margie, or

Mrs.K,pgens or Geneieve, a bunch of losers, who don't have anything better to

do then waste their time here playing games as adults, stupid adults.

I pity you really, get alife, and grow up!

Date: November 26, 2008 08:30PM

angelus42774 Wrote:
> Spunky, what kind of car do you drive, Miss High
> and Mighty? Do you drive a Prius or some kind of
> eco friendly car? if not, shutty uppy you pie
> face.

I can see you have done very little research on anything.

I looked into a Prius but it is only fuel efficient not eco

friendly, it still takes gas. I prefer something that is truly

eco friendly and is no dependent on gas or fossil fuels which

kills the ozone and adds to warming our climate. Duh?

So, when someone differs with you try not making an enemy of them

by calling them names, friends are much nicer to have and encourages a

more open dialogue. Do you agree?

Or, unless it's a form of play where we both understand that's the case, and one poster said they put a smiley face after what they say to signify that's their intent.

Either way it seems that the underlying point that I hear is that the water problem isn't as bad as it use to be nor as bad as elsewhere, and that seems to give some relief to the posters here. This surprises me. How can partial pollution be a good thing and that you rationalize with yourself that it isn't worse is good so you live with it. It's alot like the illegal immigrant problem, we have been taught to settle when we don't and shouldn't. We are the ones who care more about protecting our resources for our children and on...We as citizens are not allowed to break laws, but corportions, school boards, illegals, governments and on, do it all the time with hardly any consequence. Except for us, our children, and our resources which are dying and can't be proped up as a result of greed like wall street.

I have outside interest, I am just a concerned parent who sees the same thing happening to our planet that's happened to wall street, and for the same reasons, and it makes me sick.

Date: November 26, 2008 08:33PM

496 Wrote:
> fucking looney

R U talking 2 yourself again?

That was a great post you got from Beetlejuice

on the "What do you think love is, a Fairfax perspective" thread.

I am sure the two of you make a great couple.

Date: November 26, 2008 09:49PM

Hey pyscho, isn't today your electro shock therapy day?

Date: November 26, 2008 11:34PM

spunky Wrote:
>
> I can see you have done very little research on
> anything.
>
> I looked into a Prius but it is only fuel
> efficient not eco
>
> friendly, it still takes gas. I prefer something
> that is truly
>
> eco friendly and is no dependent on gas or fossil
> fuels which
>
> kills the ozone and adds to warming our climate.
> Duh?
>

You can buy the brand new VW Jetta TDI Diesel, spend about $800 on a conversion kit and then drive almost exclusively on used vegetable oil.

Of course, you should also buy a $2,000 kit that will allow you to take the used veg oil and using lye, remove the glycerin and everything else and refine it even more, to really get a clean burning and cheap fuel source.

The Jetta TDI gets something like 50mpg, and if you make friends with a local chinese restaurant owner or someone else with a deep fat fryer, you can get your vegetable oil for free.

I think even with all the equipment, your fuel costs can go down to something like $1 a gallon, plus the car already gets over twice the average car's mpg.

Date: November 27, 2008 02:39AM

Thanks Bob now thatz a great idea, do you have an older bro? I think smarts is so sexy...you have me taking my clothes off already!!!

Let me know if you and Terry ever break up:p

Do you actually know of anyone who has done this successlly?

Posted by: ferfux ()
Date: November 27, 2008 10:11AM

awesome Im running a funnel and garden hose from there to my dorm room in order to save money as soon as I get back.

Date: November 27, 2008 06:30PM

You have to carry your oil around with you until this catches on. But those ahead of the game would see this as a business opportunity.

Date: November 27, 2008 11:11PM

spunky Wrote:
> Thanks Bob now thatz a great idea, do you have an
> older bro? I think smarts is so sexy...you have
> me taking my clothes off already!!!
>
> Let me know if you and Terry ever break up:p
>
> Do you actually know of anyone who has done this
> successlly?

I know someone who bought a TDI. He's still running straight petro diesel, but can't stop talking about the mileage he's getting.

I know of only one person in this area who has done a conversion, but his requires a second tank for the veg oil, because his set up requires the oil to heat up before using it, and then he has to run the last few minutes on petro diesel in order to clear the veg oil out of the engine block and fuel lines so it doesn't coagulate when it cools down. But he's running plain, unrefined vegetable oil.

If you're willing to go to the extra trouble of refining your veggie oil, I believe you can pour it straight into the original gas tank.

Date: November 27, 2008 11:17PM

spunky Wrote:
> You have to carry your oil around with you until
> this catches on. But those ahead of the game
> would see this as a business opportunity.

Well, you have to carry your gasoline around with you right now, don't you?

Sure, you can't fuel up on UVO if you go out of town, but in both methods of converting your car, you can always use normal petro diesel when you can't get access to UVO.

If you have the two tank setup, you can always fill your original tank with petro diesel. If you have the single tank system where you use refined UVO, you can mix petro and veggie diesel, so you can always pump from the gas station if you need to.

Yes, if enough people were to convert their diesels to run either method, someone could set up a small delivery service to pickup the used oil from all the chinese, fast food and other restaurants and deliver to a 55 gallon drum in people's backyards.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone like Griffith or another home heating oil company didn't get into this business in the near future, since they already have the infrastructure and already pump heating oil into tanks in people's basements.

Date: December 06, 2008 05:09PM

spunky Wrote:
> These rivers are polluted, and yes I know I
> misspelled Occuquain (?).

How about this from the Post today:

Potomac River Tap Water Has Small Levels of Contaminants
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/12/05/AR2008120503707.html

By David A. Fahrenthold
Washington Post Staff Writer
Saturday, December 6, 2008; Page B01

Tap water in the District and parts of Northern Virginia contains small amounts of herbicides, gasoline additives and industrial solvents
-- although the concentrations are so small that there is probably no risk to consumers, according to a new federal study.

MmmMmmm Good!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2008 05:09PM by trogdor!.

Date: December 07, 2008 01:13AM

I saw that article too. The article said something about the bass becoming mutated in the Potomac, by containing both sexes. At the end of the article they admitt we should be concerned.

Now bow to me, all this time I knew what I was talking about and you gave me no respect...overboard?

How about just a little respect then?

Posted by: Rosa Lee McFall ()
Date: December 07, 2008 10:27AM

Everything Spunky said was true. She's right and all you smug, smart-asses trying to prove how clever you think you are have proved the exact opposite.

Date: December 07, 2008 10:29AM

Respect? You?? Bawhahahahahahahaha. You're a fucking psycho. I seea strait jacket in your future, wacko.
Love, Elliot

Date: December 08, 2008 09:17AM

spunky Wrote:
>\> Now bow to me, all this time I knew what I was
> talking about and you gave me no
> respect...overboard?
>
> How about just a little respect then?

Oh I gave you respect. I just asked what are we supposed to do about it....

Date: December 08, 2008 06:18PM

trogdor! Wrote:
> spunky Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> >\> Now bow to me, all this time I knew what I
> was
> > talking about and you gave me no
> > respect...overboard?
> >
> > How about just a little respect then?
>
> Oh I gave you respect. I just asked what are we
> supposed to do about it....

Let's do nothing! I mean how long has it been going on and it's not getting better is it? So let's do nothing! The author of the Post article basically said
it is having an affect on the fish, but nothing has been studied on humans, so, like everything else let's wait until we grow a third eye. Who's to say this doesn't contribute to cancer or other deseases?

This water is being used in baby formula , in processes to make other food sources, to irrigate crops, to water animals which are also consumsed, etc. Who knows what the total toxic intake is a day? Everytime you see one of your family members eating or drinking think about it, do you want to do nothing? Businesses and our government want you to do nothing, at your expense, while they make money.

Posted by: Rod ()
Date: December 08, 2008 11:21PM

Lurker. Wrote:
> Read the annual report and then compare it against
> other areas. Fairfax water is far superior.
>
> http://www.fcwa.org/water/water.htm

It said "Fluoride is added to protect the teeth." But Fluoride is not added to protect the teeth. Fluoride is added because of the Fluoride lobby. The Fluoride lobby sells Fluoride because they make money for the same reason they sell tobaco and have a lobby for it. 98% of Europe dose not use Fluoride and they have as good teeth as we do. Fluoride is the principal ingredient in Prozac AND rat poison.

They will not stop putting fluoride in the water because they make too much money. Politicians won't help they are subject to the lobby.

The only thing you can do is to filter the water. Filter it with a Berky filter. I've been thinking of filtering AC distillate water from the Air Conditioner.

Posted by: Dr. Evil Knievel ()
Date: December 08, 2008 11:44PM

spunky Wrote:
> I saw that article too. The article said
> something about the bass becoming mutated in the
> Potomac

Mutated bass? Are they at least ill-tempered?

Posted by: Dr. Evil Knievel ()
Date: December 08, 2008 11:52PM

Rod Wrote:
> It said "Fluoride is added to protect the teeth."
> But Fluoride is not added to protect the teeth.
> Fluoride is added because of the Fluoride lobby.
> The Fluoride lobby sells Fluoride because they
> make money for the same reason they sell tobaco
> and have a lobby for it. 98% of Europe dose not
> use Fluoride and they have as good teeth as we do.

Have you ever seen a British person?

> Fluoride is the principal ingredient in Prozac AND
> rat poison.

You think Prozac is a fucking salt, you ignorant moron?

Date: December 09, 2008 12:26AM

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/12/05/AR2008120503707.html

Ok now you can check out the article yourself, and see what you think.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.